Type keyword(s) to search

NHL Thread

Madness
  • Start Topic

Use one word to describe Chicago's sweep of the Minnesota Wild.  Its obvious which word it should be.  And that's "Showtime".

Crow came up huge, but man what a crazy finish to that game.  Seriously thought it might have been headed to OT (where anything coulda happened).  Pheewww.

Ok, since we got this wrapped up, whatever happens in the CGY-ANA series is gravy.  If it only goes 2 more games, fine, if it goes 3 or 4 more, its all good.   Slightly worried about too much time off and maybe a bit of 'rust', especially opening on the road.  Actually, GO CALGARY!!  (that way the 'Hawks steal home ice in the next round, again)

Glad to see another Hawks fan! The 8:30 start times kill me so I was asleep before the end of the game, but I most likely would have been having a heart attack if I was watching so it probably worked out for the best. They seem like they're hitting their stride at the right time so I'm feeling good about the WCF. Admittedly though, I don't follow much of what the other teams are doing outside of the central division so I don't know much about the potential match ups, 

• Love 2

Glad to see another Hawks fan! The 8:30 start times kill me so I was asleep before the end of the game, but I most likely would have been having a heart attack if I was watching so it probably worked out for the best. They seem like they're hitting their stride at the right time so I'm feeling good about the WCF. Admittedly though, I don't follow much of what the other teams are doing outside of the central division so I don't know much about the potential match ups, 

Other than that incredibly nasty injury to Roszival, which stinks, the 'Hawks have sure made an early statement that they are the "team to beat", not only in the WCF, but the SCF too.

I am just in awe of Patrick Kane.  Dude misses a couple months with a broken clavicle, expected to miss first couple rounds of the playoffs, but is neck-and-neck in the race for the playoff MVP (Hart) Trophy with Tyler Johnson, of Tampa Bay  (at least as far as goals/points scored goes).  Crazy.

• Love 1
(edited)
Other than that incredibly nasty injury to Roszival, which stinks, the 'Hawks have sure made an early statement that they are the "team to beat", not only in the WCF, but the SCF too

Yeah, I was watching PTI the other day and Tony Kornheiser said it would be a choke if they didn't win it all. While I don't think I would call it a choke, I agree that they belong playing for the Stanley Cup. I can't wait for the next round!

Edited by SugarHigh

As someone rooting for the Rangers I was stunned too!  The silence in MSG was equal to the silence in Camden Yards on Wednesday only there were actual fans in MSG.

It was a lot noisier last night.  God I hate overtime (when I am rooting for one of the teams, it's totally awesome when I'm not emotionally invested.) 

• Love 1

I'm so glad I found this section of the board! But here I also found my two mortal enemies irarelywatchtv36 and SugarHigh.

I also completely agree with JTMacc - OT is totally awesome when you aren't emotionally invested. I made a new hockey fan due to OT during the Flames v Canucks series. Do I get a toaster*?

*a real one, not a Cylon.

Glad I found the Sports section here on PreviouslyTV.  Watching the Hawks-Ducks game.  The announcer (I think Mike Emrick?) seems to be having trouble with the names or maybe he forgot his glasses tonight.  I don't know how many times he's said things like "Somebody came up to get the puck...", "The play broken up by someone...", "The puck passed over to a Blackhawk...it's taken away by a Duck".  Seriously?  I understand that the game is fast.  I can't tell myself sometimes who has the puck, but I'm watching on tv and sometimes it's hard to see the uniform numbers.    It's the announcer's job to know who is on the ice and who is touching the puck.

So happy the Blackhawks forced a game 7! The ending of game 5 was so disappointing after getting those last two goals to tie it up in regulation. The Ducks are really good so I have no idea how it will all shake out, but I'm crossing my fingers for a win!

• Love 2

Glad I found the Sports section here on PreviouslyTV.  Watching the Hawks-Ducks game.  The announcer (I think Mike Emrick?) seems to be having trouble with the names or maybe he forgot his glasses tonight.  I don't know how many times he's said things like "Somebody came up to get the puck...", "The play broken up by someone...", "The puck passed over to a Blackhawk...it's taken away by a Duck". 

Doc Emrick. He just picked up his third Emmy. I really enjoy his broadcasts, but you're right in that he's definitely not the sort of uber-detailed, serious play-by-play announcer - he gets carried away by the game, which is fine with me because I know who all my players are and the rest can go to hell. lol MY GOODNESS.

For your listening pleasure:

Ranger loss = Bummer. Not even one goal scored! I'm not really  a NYR fan but I did have visions of ticker tape parade down Canyon of Heroes. 

Go Blackhawks for the same reason Aim is True said and because there really should not be hockey team in Florida.

Just sayin'.

• Love 1

Go Blackhawks for the same reason Aim is True said and because there really should not be hockey team in Florida.

Just sayin'.

I live in Floriduh and I agree, even though I went to a Panthers game this season!

Here in Orlando the local media is desperately trying to latch on to the Lightning and make them "our" team and I find that funny since they don't give two shits about the local team, the Solar Bears (ECHL affiliates of Toronto, and of whom I am a season ticket holder.)

Tampa Bay vs Anaheim. I never would have picked this match up for the Stanley Cup! Glad I'm not a betting man; I was pulling for CHI vs NYR. (No, I am not Bettman either.)

It's TB and Chicago.

Living in the OC I feel for Ducks fans, 3 years in a row losing game 7's at home is brutal.

It is so weird that it is June and the Stanley Cup Final has not started yet?!  Long time hockey fan here, just still think its weird.  Of course I'm a Caps fan so WE never play in June....LOL  

Don't really care about either team left, but I do like Joel Q and his dirty mouth :-)

Just want some good hockey

Thanks for playing Tampa, and the rest of the league.  Hats off to TB.  They looked real good in the first 4 games.  Unfortunately, for them, the result was only a 2-2 series.

First time winning the Cup on home ice since 1938... the 2015 Stanley Cup Champions - Chicago Blackhawks. 

Duncan Keith was the only player that should have been considered for the Conn Smythe, so it was no surprise but great to see him hoist that trophy.

([3 cups & 3 clinchers in game # 6]  three Cups in 6 seasons.  That's kinda good, I guess.  *wink*)

I'm so glad I found this section of the board! But here I also found my two mortal enemies irarelywatchtv36 and SugarHigh.

I also completely agree with JTMacc - OT is totally awesome when you aren't emotionally invested. I made a new hockey fan due to OT during the Flames v Canucks series. Do I get a toaster*?

*a real one, not a Cylon.

Wow.  So I kind of deserted this thread between the start of the WCF and the end of the season (now), but didn't realize I had an honest-to-God mortal enemy.

Nice to meet you, theredhead77;  my - umm - nemesis? (is that the applicable word to this non-situation?)

I do, also, agree that OT and tight thrilling games are awesome when you're not emotionally involved.  I really envied the general hockey fans that got to watch the WCF/ECF & SCF this season.  Just incredibly intense and crazy-great hockey played in all 20 games between those 3 series.

• Love 1

I'm glad for friends in Chicago, but I had close to zero personal emotional investment in the finals. There's no one on either team that's one of "my" players. (Though to be fair, there aren't many people left who were playing before Bourque's Cup win in 2001, which marked the close of my rabid fandom. And I've never been able to stand Jagr.) I was just happy to see some great hockey being played.

• Love 1

When my team isn't in the playoffs I either root for an Original Six team or a Canadian team so even though I live 75 miles or so from Tampa I was rooting for the Blackhawks all the way.

Does winning The Cup at home for the first time since 1938 alleviate 107 years of Cubs futility for Chicago fans?

• Love 1

Congrats to the Blackhawks. Since my other team (Montreal Canadiens) were knocked out, I was rooting for the 'Hawks, cause I like Corey Crawford. Both teams played excellent, but Chicago was just that little bit better. Great game.

Also thrilled that they were able to win on home ice (since 1938!!) for the fans. Must have been amazing. So Chicago is a possible "dynasty" now too. Three Cups in Six years - wow!

Got a kick out of the fact that the Stanley Cup wasn't even in the building due to flooding and they had to wait for it to "arrive". You'd think they'd be there at the start of the game just to be sure.

Anyway, great game and congrats Chicago!

• Love 1

Also thrilled that they were able to win on home ice (since 1938!!) for the fans. Must have been amazing. So Chicago is a possible "dynasty" now too. Three Cups in Six years - wow!

Got a kick out of the fact that the Stanley Cup wasn't even in the building due to flooding and they had to wait for it to "arrive". You'd think they'd be there at the start of the game just to be sure.

At least it got there relatively timely.  I heard Doc Emrick on the Dan Patrick Show this morning.  Apparently, in 1938, the NHL didn't believe that the Blackhawks had a chance at winning the Cup that year against the Redwings, so they didn't even bother to bring the Cup to Chicago for that game where they won!

• Love 1

When did winning on home ice become a thing?

It's not a special standard for any other sport. The Red Sox broke their World Series drought on the road and I don't remember any great sentiment about how it would have been better doing it at home. 

Is it just because the Blackhawks have won several recent cups and there was a need to set a higher dramatic standard?

Well, when the Bruins won in Vancouver, the crowd outside set off riots so ... It just depends on the classiness of the fans dealing with opposition celebrating on "their" ice.

NHL didn't believe that the Blackhawks had a chance at winning the Cup that year against the Redwings, so they didn't even bother to bring the Cup to Chicago for that game where they won!

Really?? Man, I did NOT know that. Ha! I love these little stats!

Probably when a team hasn't won at home for over 77 years. I love statistics like that, because for the fans, to be actually there, to experience it at home, surrounding by thousands of people so enthusiatic and excited - both in the stadium, and on the streets....must be unbelievable. I mean, in other sports, certain teams have had many chances. But for hockey fans in Chicago, the last time it happened was 77 years ago, and that becomes special for those fans.

As someone who lives in Toronto, if the Toronto Maple Leafs ever won a cup, this city would bloody well implode (once it got over it's initial shock at the team actually winning!)

• Love 1

Well, when the Bruins won in Vancouver, the crowd outside set off riots so ... It just depends on the classiness of the fans dealing with opposition celebrating on "their" ice.

Low blow. The Bruins fans are notorious for classlessness and during that series there were Vancouver fans who went to Boston for a couple of games who couldn't walk the streets wearing their Canucks regalia and were extremely limited as to what restaurants and bars they dared frequent. Boston has certainly had their share of looting and rioting and burning after their teams win. The reason the Vancouver 'riot' always gets thrown out there is because it was so out of character for a Canadian city whereas it is almost de rigeur in American cities.

(edited)

I love this story on the missing Cup in Chicago in 1938.  Apparently, Chicago had been a really bad team in the regular season, but went on a run in the playoffs. The Redwings were the reigning champs and had the Cup, not the team Chicago was playing in the finals (my mistake above). They were playing Toronto (sorry, HalcyonDays). The commissioner didn't believe the Blackhawks would beat the Maple Leafs, so he had the Cup shipped from Detroit to Toronto and didn't redirect to Chicago even though it was a potential elimination game in a best of five series. 

You must read the article for the story of the Blackhawks goalie issues, including having to use a still drunk/hungover minor league goalie for one game.....which they won!  Also, fun to note who was the manager of the Maple Leafs at the time.

Edited by pennben

I've been harrassed for wearing my jersey to a regular season game in St. Louis, so it's not as if any city has a monopoly on misbehaving fans. Though my reception in Carolina was quite nice, and the fans at Predators arena in its first year were great to me despite wearing a full-on Bruins mascot outfit.

One of my best hockey memories was being in the Fleet Center for Ray Bourque's final game in Boston (after his trade to the Avalanche) on 3/24/01. A standing room only crowd, and as one we turned on the home team like rabid dogs and cheered every time he took the ice. Byron Dafoe had said in interviews he expected the game to be business as usual, but I don't think he counted on the psychological impact of having an arena full of Bostonians rooting for the visiting team. At least, I don't recall letting in 3 goals in the first 4 minutes of play being business as usual for him.

• Love 1
(edited)

Really?? Man, I did NOT know that. Ha! I love these little stats!

Probably when a team hasn't won at home for over 77 years. I love statistics like that, because for the fans, to be actually there, to experience it at home, surrounding by thousands of people so enthusiatic and excited - both in the stadium, and on the streets....must be unbelievable. I mean, in other sports, certain teams have had many chances. But for hockey fans in Chicago, the last time it happened was 77 years ago, and that becomes special for those fans.

As someone who lives in Toronto, if the Toronto Maple Leafs ever won a cup, this city would bloody well implode (once it got over it's initial shock at the team actually winning!)

As someone who llives in Toronto too and a massive Leafs fan, I always equate it like this. 

You take the 2002 Olympic Gold Medal win (50 years since Canada Won)

Add 2010 Olympic Gold Medal Win (Olympic Gold on Home Soil)

sprinkle in 2014 Olympic Gold (repeat)

add a dash of 2014 World Junior Hockey Win...

and you might just touch the elation of Toronto if we won the cup (esp. at home).

I am so excited for Draft Day :D 

Edited by Daisy

Overtime will be 3- on -3 now.

But over time, GMs have become increasingly frustrated at the number of games that were decided by the shootout as they felt important points in the standings were being decided essentially by a skills competition. There were 170 shootouts last season representing 13.8 percent of all games. The year before, there were 178 or 14.5 percent of all games.

I guess I don't mind 3-on-3 because as much as I used to enjoy shoot-outs, there have been far too many. 

What say you?

Quebec City and Las Vegas have submitted expansion franchises, while it appears that Seattle has not, due largely to arena issues.

As a former Nordique fan back in the day (they left town when I was a teenager), I'm excited for the prospect of the return of the Nordiques. They never should have left anyway. I'm a bit ambivalent towards Las Vegas, but it might be an interesting experiment. I think, ultimately, it should have been Hartford coming back- the Whale never should have left either- but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Of course, I firmly think the NHL's got too many teams anyway- 24 seems like the better number, I think- so the prospect of two more teams isn't terribly exciting. Still, at least there's some genuine hope that the league is returning to a market it never should have left, and that's cause for some joy. I just hope it delivers.

What say you, PTV, about the latest expansion?