Type keyword(s) to search

NHL Thread

Madness
  • Start Topic

I’m a hockey pay-attention-to-news-about-it but not regularly watch it, so how long has there been all that advertising cluttering up the ice?  Makes following the puck difficult for novices.

6 hours ago, Marley said:

Boston being eliminated the 1st round warms my heart lol.

I'm assuming you root for a rival team? For example, when I saw the Islanders lose a game 7 at home in overtime, my first thought was something along the lines of a sarcastic, "That's a shame. You hate to see it."

From my side, I absolutely HATE that a team like the Bruins that had a season like that got bounced in the first round. It's just bad for the NHL. 

Speaking of bad for the NHL, I think they were probably hoping they were about to get a final four in the East of Boston, Toronto, New York, and Carolina. Three of the original six teams in big markets would be good for the league.  And instead, they're looking down the barrel of Toronto, Florida, Carolina, and New Jersey.

Blech. No offense to the rabid fan bases of those non-Toronto teams, but they're not exactly good for TV ratings as they are tiny and nobody else cares about them.

• Like 3

I’m not really a hockey fan, but I’ve paid attention to the Bruins amidst this historically awesome season. It’s a shame that they just fell apart defensively, especially after the goalie’s overtime gaffe in Game 5 OT. I wonder if this is Bergeron’s last game. If so, it’s a rough way for him to retire. 

• Like 1

Despite my two boys playing roller hockey for the past five years my brother turned me into an avid Ice Hockey fan this year. He bought our family fourth row tickets to the Hurricanes as a Christmas present and it was amazing. I’m so glad to see them advance and the Stadium Series was awesome to watch! 

I live only 30 minutes away from my brother but we watch all the Hurricanes games and text each other the entire time. I caught tonight’s game with the Devils and Rags and there were a lot of big nasty hits! My 10 year old plays goalie (in full Goldberg gear no less) and I always have a soft spot for those guys. Such a tough position. My son was diagnosed with a Congenital Heart Defect over the summer and he lives and breathes hockey. Roller hockey is no where near as crazy as ice but the cardiologist only cleared him to play goalie. Hopefully he’s not watching these ice games lol! 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I'm assuming you root for a rival team? For example, when I saw the Islanders lose a game 7 at home in overtime, my first thought was something along the lines of a sarcastic, "That's a shame. You hate to see it."

From my side, I absolutely HATE that a team like the Bruins that had a season like that got bounced in the first round. It's just bad for the NHL. 

Speaking of bad for the NHL, I think they were probably hoping they were about to get a final four in the East of Boston, Toronto, New York, and Carolina. Three of the original six teams in big markets would be good for the league.  And instead, they're looking down the barrel of Toronto, Florida, Carolina, and New Jersey.

Blech. No offense to the rabid fan bases of those non-Toronto teams, but they're not exactly good for TV ratings as they are tiny and nobody else cares about them.

I am from BC in Canada so I am a Canucks fan lol so I have hated Boston since 2011. I never get any satisfaction from the Canucks so the Bruins getting bounced is all I can get right now lol.

Carolina and Florida? Meh. They are on the level with Phoenix in my eyes so I don’t care for them.

• Like 1

You know, it's a whole lot of fun watching a quad OT game when you have no stake in the game, when you have no rooting interest, and when you respect both teams in the game

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Carey said:

You know, it's a whole lot of fun watching a quad OT game when you have no stake in the game, when you have no rooting interest, and when you respect both teams in the game

I enjoyed it. Being on the west coast, it ended at a reasonable hour. 😀

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, bosawks said:

Flyers win!

I mean, I didn't watch, I was watching The Phightins, but I figured I'm not going to get a lot of opportunity to post "Flyers win" so might as well take advantage.....

I watched the first period it lined up almost perfectly with the start of the Phils. It kept me busy. Yay Flyers win and the Phillies win!

• Like 2
On 10/13/2023 at 12:54 PM, Mindthinkr said:

The Hurricanes won their opener 5-3. 
My nephew texted me “Good. They’re undefeated.” 😂

I’m just glad to have a Carolina team worth pulling for. My Panthers are letting me down spectacularly and I’m not much into college football. 

These west coast games are going to kill me though. I stayed up until almost 2 this morning watching last nights game texting with my brother. Can’t do that during the week. It was a great game ending in a shoot out and we are still undefeated! 

Edited by Mountainair
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Mountainair said:

I’m just glad to have a Carolina team worth pulling for. My Panthers are letting me down spectacularly and I’m not much into college football. 

These west coast games are going to kill me though. I stayed up until almost 2 this morning watching last nights game texting with my brother. Can’t do that during the week. It was a great game ending in a shoot out and we are still undefeated! 

28 minutes ago, Mountainair said:

#CauseChaos #LetsGoCanes 

Hurrah Jordan Martinook 🏒

Funny you chat with your brother during the game. I do too except last night was much too late for us. I hope they do well ton. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Tried to remove accidental double quote.
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

#CauseChaos #LetsGoCanes 

Hurrah Jordan Martinook 🏒

Funny you chat with your brother during the game. I do too except last night was much too late for us. I hope they do well ton. 

That’s so cool you chat with your brother too! He got me really into watching hockey last year. My boys have played inline hockey with a local league for years though. Last Christmas my brother treated all of us and our parents (8 people) to third row seats to a game. It was awesome! 

I love the #CauseChaos hashtag this season!!!! 

8:30 game tonight and I have tomorrow off!! 

• Love 1

Last night for the ‘Yotes in Phoenix.

Shane Doan was there because of course he was.  A fan presented him with his retirement banner (that the mf’ing organization accidentally left behind in the Glendale arena, because of course they did — I think this guy found it in a dumpster, FFS).

O Captain My Captain!!  Nephew de Voiceover & I watched you many times on the ice, over the years.  Those games with him are among my most treasured of memories.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
On 4/17/2024 at 9:16 PM, voiceover said:

Last night for the ‘Yotes in Phoenix.

Shane Doan was there because of course he was.  A fan presented him with his retirement banner (that the mf’ing organization accidentally left behind in the Glendale arena, because of course they did — I think this guy found it in a dumpster, FFS).

O Captain My Captain!!  Nephew de Voiceover & I watched you many times on the ice, over the years.  Those games with him are among my most treasured of memories.

This sucks. I know firsthand how painful it is when your team moves. But I stick with them. 

3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

The Stanley Cup finals are about to begin. The first game are the Carolina Hurricanes vs the NY Islanders in Raleigh, NC. 

It's not the finals. It's just the first round of the playoffs. 🙂

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

It's not the finals. It's just the first round of the playoffs. 🙂

Details... 😄

• LOL 2