Type keyword(s) to search

NHL Thread

Madness
  • Start Topic

17 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I have come up with some amazingly creative swear words during this series.  Up 2 games to none and suddenly it's tied at 3 games apiece. 

New York routed Pittsburgh to even the series at 1-1.  Still, it's rather painful given the fact that this the 3rd time within a decade the the Pens posted a 3-1 series lead.  Naturally, unlike that first time, the Rangers closed things out in 2015 with the same series lead (more on that year later), but the Penguins returned the favor the following year.

The good news for Pittsburgh is that they're undefeated in Game Sevens on the road, but the bad news is that New York is (all but) undefeated at home in Game 7s.  In 2015, the team that took the honor from the Penguins in terms of the most recent back-to-back champions ended the Rangers stat.  TBF, if there was ever proof that PIT would've knocked off Tampa to get to the Cup final vs Chicago, it happened the next year (they were not going to beat the Lightning in 2015 TBH).

Who knows what's next, but it ain't easy winning the Stanley Cup, especially when you're without your top 2 goalies, several defensemen, and the best player in the world

5 hours ago, Carey said:

New York routed Pittsburgh to even the series at 1-1.  Still, it's rather painful given the fact that this the 3rd time within a decade the the Pens posted a 3-1 series lead.  Naturally, unlike that first time, the Rangers closed things out in 2015 with the same series lead (more on that year later), but the Penguins returned the favor the following year.

The good news for Pittsburgh is that they're undefeated in Game Sevens on the road, but the bad news is that New York is (all but) undefeated at home in Game 7s.  In 2015, the team that took the honor from the Penguins in terms of the most recent back-to-back champions ended the Rangers stat.  TBF, if there was ever proof that PIT would've knocked off Tampa to get to the Cup final vs Chicago, it happened the next year (they were not going to beat the Lightning in 2015 TBH).

Who knows what's next, but it ain't easy winning the Stanley Cup, especially when you're without your top 2 goalies, several defensemen, and the best player in the world

Mike Matheson  needs gone. That's  AT LEAST THREE goals (for the opposition) that have gone off his skate and into the Pens  net. 

It's really tempting to say "fire Sully and get Trotz," but tbh, Sully did pretty well, considering that Malkin and Crosby missed the first third of the season, and we played most of this series with a third string goalie.  I'm still pissed off, though. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Carey said:

especially when you're without your top 2 goalies, several defensemen, and the best player in the world

The Macc family are Rangers fans. I was talking to my brother yesterday before the game, and he pointed out that the Rangers needed all of those things just to get to game 7. 

I've rooted for teams (in all sports) over the years that have been wrecked by injuries, and it always sucks. The coaches or the players can never use it as an excuse, because they still have to go out and try to win, but as a fan you know damn well that it's a problem.

On 5/16/2022 at 2:30 PM, JTMacc99 said:

The Macc family are Rangers fans. I was talking to my brother yesterday before the game, and he pointed out that the Rangers needed all of those things just to get to game 7. 

I've rooted for teams (in all sports) over the years that have been wrecked by injuries, and it always sucks. The coaches or the players can never use it as an excuse, because they still have to go out and try to win, but as a fan you know damn well that it's a problem.

Meh.  My rooting interests usually hold regardless of injury.  That being said, it does suck when someone loses due to that.  I'd be more upset if someone lost their HC job for losing a series (esp in Pittsburgh's fashion) due to injury.  Plus, a HC with the accomplishments earned since 2016.  I nmot a Rangers fan, but New York is (one of) my stomping ground(s).  I haven't decided whether I'm rooting for them to win the cup or for them to emulate 2014.  To be fair, New York could've won Game 1, and if everything holds, Pens lose at home.  

On 5/15/2022 at 11:27 PM, Colleenna said:

Mike Matheson  needs gone. That's  AT LEAST THREE goals (for the opposition) that have gone off his skate and into the Pens  net. 

It's really tempting to say "fire Sully and get Trotz," but tbh, Sully did pretty well, considering that Malkin and Crosby missed the first third of the season, and we played most of this series with a third string goalie.  I'm still pissed off, though.

To be honest, I think the concern over the aftermath of this series is if Sully got kicked out.  Which, until the start of 2022-2023 happens, is still a possibility.  It's been 4 opening round exits in a row, PLUS, a new ownership group (people who may want their own guy).  When you blow a big series lead & have had early exits, that typically leads to one's termination.  However, they were one iota away from a series rout until the injury to top all injuries occurred.  If Sully doesn't win 2 cups + if the Pens don't have their postseason streaks intact, then he would've been a goner by now.

Pittsburgh can toss Hextall in front of a moving train or bus whenever it fits their business needs.

ColleennaJTMacc99?  Sorry for the belated reply.  No, I was not on life support (at best) over the series.  Actually, I had to turn off everything entertainment to get stuff at work wrapped up, as I'm off starting Friday at the way to Memorial Day.  At the end of the day, it is what it is.  Pittsburgh wasn't winning the Cup this year, and while you never know, they weren't championship contenders.  It would've been nice to see how far they could've gone, but at the same time, I'd rather not see a 2013 ECF beatdown either.  Finally, I've lost a couple people rather closely linked to me this year.  You never want to see your team in any sport eliminated, but it's still sports.  There's always next time, whereas if you're eliminated as a human being, that's it

I'm not sure what the heck is going on, but there sure have been a lot of goals scored in the first two games of the conference finals. 

I assume that with the Rangers/Lightning, it was just a case of the Rangers are just in every other day game mode, and the Lightning with the nine day break were just a little off. (Not that they didn't hit a post or two and were pretty damn close to scoring plenty on their own.)

The western conference game, on the other hand, that was like right out of the early eighties. 

• Like 1
On 6/2/2022 at 9:00 AM, JTMacc99 said:

I'm not sure what the heck is going on, but there sure have been a lot of goals scored in the first two games of the conference finals. 

I assume that with the Rangers/Lightning, it was just a case of the Rangers are just in every other day game mode, and the Lightning with the nine day break were just a little off. (Not that they didn't hit a post or two and were pretty damn close to scoring plenty on their own.)

The western conference game, on the other hand, that was like right out of the early eighties. 

The eastern conference series is un-freaking-believable. Rangers are just walking over Tampa.  (Of course,  Tampa is not helping themselves by committing all those penalties. )

This Pens fan grudgingly acknowledges that NY has a strong team. 

12 hours ago, Colleenna said:

The eastern conference series is un-freaking-believable. Rangers are just walking over Tampa.  (Of course,  Tampa is not helping themselves by committing all those penalties. )

This Pens fan grudgingly acknowledges that NY has a strong team. 

The first game in Tampa I’m assuming will result in the defending champions getting back on track.  (But hoping not.)

The Rangers are getting better as they go along. It’s probably because they have a core of very talented 20-24 year old players, and the kids are turning into playoff hardened men. (With young men legs.)

For what it’s worth, Adam Fox is the best all around defenseman I’ve seen on the Rangers in my lifetime and probably ever, and he’s only 24. If you’re watching the playoffs, and don’t hate the Rangers, keep an eye on #23. 

On 6/4/2022 at 12:08 PM, JTMacc99 said:

The first game in Tampa I’m assuming will result in the defending champions getting back on track.  (But hoping not.)

The Rangers are getting better as they go along. It’s probably because they have a core of very talented 20-24 year old players, and the kids are turning into playoff hardened men. (With young men legs.)

For what it’s worth, Adam Fox is the best all around defenseman I’ve seen on the Rangers in my lifetime and probably ever, and he’s only 24. If you’re watching the playoffs, and don’t hate the Rangers, keep an eye on #23. 

Oh, definitely  watching  --- both series.  The Avs/Oilers is pretty much over. Edmonton would need divine  intervention. 

3 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Oh, definitely  watching  --- both series.  The Avs/Oilers is pretty much over. Edmonton would need divine  intervention. 

Well heck, replying to myself.  Glad to see Tampa eked out a win in this game,  because it means  MORE HOCKEY.  Yay. I mean,  I love baseball and football,  but I really hate to see hockey season end. I start jonesing for hockey around  Labor Day. 

Tampa for the win.  I won't boast and say they're winning in 5.  I'd be shocked if they won twice on the road (unless it occurs in a 7-game span).  New York was really rising despite their close call, but Tampa has been crushing it for the past several years.  Colorado is very, very good; they probably should win the cup, but despite the recent timeline, completing a season for the 3rd time in as many years (especially this year) is just that damn impressive.  Six games is a fair enough length for this final round

My sister has been an Avs fan since the 90s. All through the rivalry with the Red Wings. She's seven years younger than me so there she is in high school and then fresh out just loving this team. And she never stopped. She's been living with me for the past 8 years and the Avs have remained a staple. Now, for me, it's fun to root against my brother's team. It's not as fun to root against my sister's team. So I've been absorbed into the Avs fandom. We went to see them about five years ago when they SUCKED. We were on the glass and watched them lose to the Flames at home and it was just... hoo boy. Dark times. But since then I've been watching Sakic rebuild this team... I was watching when Makar made his debut... I've watched that top line develop into something deadly and the defense turn into something amazing. Is one of our cats named Burky? (He's our beautiful dumb boy and we love him. Hockey version and feline version.)

So even though I came to the party in later years I still feel like I've earned the right to be a fan since I've gone through some shitty shitty years of watching this team be terrible. And then watching them start to gel and become dangerous and then this past season... they've developed real grit. The 'Find A Way' slogan this year is real, they have and I believe in them. I love these guys.

• Love 2

That was... something. I really hope Burky is okay and Nichushkin is killing it during the playoff. I love the depth this team has.

I'm not counting the Bolts out yet but even the first two losses to the Rangers last round weren't this brutal.

The Avs put a fucking clinic on tonight. #FindAWay

• Applause 1

I think it's fair to say that Detroit put a similar beating to Pittsburgh in 2009 IIRC, but that was also the last time they won in that series.  The latter responded quite well, though it was late in the same series at a point where they sorta had to.

To a lesser extent, albeit it not by much, Tampa will have to do the same (which they kinda did against New York).  Every game is different, and the champs only need to (and have to) take one in Colorado (if they make it back there).  I'm just not optimistic that they'll escape their home rink without Colorado "taking" one after what happened on Saturday.

TBH, I'd be more okay seeing someone new win it this year.  I'd probably say differently (which was my pick FWIW) if Pittsburgh faced them instead of New York.  OTOH, if Tampa somehow rallies, it would validate whatever since this would be a season where they played in full and without a break.  A lot of people in Pittsburgh cite(d) that when they matched (and now passed) the 16-17 years

(edited)
On 6/19/2022 at 12:14 AM, Dandesun said:

That was... something. I really hope Burky is okay and Nichushkin is killing it during the playoff. I love the depth this team has.

I'm not counting the Bolts out yet but even the first two losses to the Rangers last round weren't this brutal.

The Avs put a fucking clinic on tonight. #FindAWay

I'm not actually an Avs fan (total Yinzer here), but I'd like to see them win it all. Maybe they can bounce back in game 4 and put another beat down on Tampa. 

ETA: well, it wasn't a beat down, but the Avs won.

Edited by Colleenna
Additional information
  • Love 2

They fucking did it. Did I get emotional when Landy handed the cup to EJ? Yes, yes I did. It all made me emotional but that's nothing compared to my sister who is just beside herself after waiting 21 years to see her boys back on top.

• Love 2
On 7/12/2022 at 12:22 PM, bosawks said:

Soooo, in the past week the Flyers have traded for Tony DeAngelo and are buying out Oskar Lindblom.

I think my relationship with this team might need to be put on pause.

DeAngelo is a great talent and can have great success if he can ever screw his head on straight. It's up to him if he wants to avoid following in Sean Avery's footsteps.

Have heart though...you could be a Sabres fan like me. I literally haven't had anything to cheer about for a decade, if not longer.

• Hugs 1
  • Love 1

Hey, at least your teams aren't thinking it's 5 years ago and trying to keep the same team together despite the fact they've been bounced from the playoffs first round the last four years....

5 hours ago, madmax said:

Hey, at least your teams aren't thinking it's 5 years ago and trying to keep the same team together despite the fact they've been bounced from the playoffs first round the last four years....

Pittsburgh? I admire their loyalty to their players but they're all getting up there in age Though I guess Crosby, Malkin and Letang can defy age like Alex Ovechkin can.

On another front, I'm baffled by what's going on in Calgary. The Flames finished first in their division and probably could have been contenders next year but Johnny Gaudreau is gone (to Columbus of all places) and Matthew Tkachuk now wants out too. Don't these guys want to win?

Yup, it's Pittsburgh.

Malkin has never been consistently great.  He is great a lot of the time, but he's also lazy as hell a lot of the time.  What's funny is he plays his best when Crosby is out.  So the "two-headed monster" is very rarely a real thing, despite what the Pens and media would lead you to believe.

I would have spent the money elsewhere, but I'm not in charge.  I believe Crosby is in charge and he wants to keep the core together.  Kinda like when Lemieux was here.

I was surprised at Calgary.  I thought they had potential for next year.

23 minutes ago, madmax said:

Malkin has never been consistently great.  He is great a lot of the time, but he's also lazy as hell a lot of the time.  What's funny is he plays his best when Crosby is out.  So the "two-headed monster" is very rarely a real thing, despite what the Pens and media would lead you to believe.

I've seen that too. I always thought Malkin would have wanted to be "the man" on another team because I don't get the sense he likes playing second fiddle (and he has the capability to back that up). So I don't know why he resigned in Pittsburgh, unless he didn't think he would get more money elsewhere.

26 minutes ago, madmax said:

I was surprised at Calgary.  I thought they had potential for next year.

Me too. One rumour I heard was that Jack Eichel might go to Calgary for Matthew Tkachuk. That would be interesting.

16 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

I've seen that too. I always thought Malkin would have wanted to be "the man" on another team because I don't get the sense he likes playing second fiddle (and he has the capability to back that up). So I don't know why he resigned in Pittsburgh, unless he didn't think he would get more money elsewhere.

There was most definitely some of that when Malkin first came here.  But Crosby was babysitting the kids of the owner of the team, so who do you think came out on top?  Malkin has alluded to being "the man," but I think most of the teams out there took a look at his past performance plus injuries and didn't offer him near what he wanted.  So he's back to second fiddle in Pittsburgh.

1 hour ago, madmax said:

I believe Crosby is in charge and he wants to keep the core together.  Kinda like when Lemieux was here.

New ownership now. I think Hextall, Burke, management are guided by Fenway Group, more than Crosby.

No way Calgary loses this trade, but would Buffalo want to do it? 🤔

TkachukTradeSabresMafia.png.04660aa0b4644a88ade8f81beedf903e.png

2 hours ago, madmax said:

There was most definitely some of that when Malkin first came here.  But Crosby was babysitting the kids of the owner of the team, so who do you think came out on top?  Malkin has alluded to being "the man," but I think most of the teams out there took a look at his past performance plus injuries and didn't offer him near what he wanted.  So he's back to second fiddle in Pittsburgh.

That may be it. Ten years ago you would have teams lining up around the block for Malkin. Now...while I might have thought someone as desperate as the Oilers or Leafs (maybe now the Flames too) might have tried ponying up the cash, the 36-year-old Malkin with his history is a hard sell at the price point he wanted.

Which, next year, Patrick Kane will likely realize too.

Ok, so the Flames actually traded Matthew Tkachuk. All I can say is...wow. What are the Panthers thinking? Tkachuk is a great player, but they're giving the Flames two great ones in exchange (well, more like a great one, a good one, a good prospect and a good draft pick).

Time will tell, but this just may one day be up there with the Naslund for Stojanov trade (sorry @madmax).

Maybe they should have traded for Taro instead. :P

• Like 1
On 7/21/2022 at 10:27 PM, xaxat said:

New ownership now. I think Hextall, Burke, management are guided by Fenway Group, more than Crosby.

I had hopes that new ownership would realize that their best chance at a cup would be with different players.  But alas...

On 7/24/2022 at 9:01 PM, madmax said:

I had hopes that new ownership would realize that their best chance at a cup would be with different players.  But alas...

I suppose the Penguins are in a rock and a hard place. It's not like they're Boston or even Chicago where success with that group was a while ago and it was fleeting and there's no question that now is the time to rebuild.

People were saying Pittsburgh was done when Montreal beat them in 2010. Six years later, they win back to back Cups.

So do you trust that this group can rebound, because they've done it before? Or do you decide they're too old and start all over?

I'm not sure there is easy answer to that question.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

So do you trust that this group can rebound, because they've done it before? Or do you decide they're too old and start all over?

I'm not sure there is easy answer to that question.

It is a difficult question, for sure.  But I think their best days are behind them.  The big three are all quite a few many years older and their bodies are more broken.  Obviously, I won't stop watching (my co-worker declared himself done with them when they resigned Malkin), but I'm not holding my breath for a great year this year.

6 minutes ago, madmax said:

It is a difficult question, for sure.  But I think their best days are behind them.  The big three are all quite a few many years older and their bodies are more broken.  Obviously, I won't stop watching (my co-worker declared himself done with them when they resigned Malkin), but I'm not holding my breath for a great year this year.

The Penguins' current situation is kind of unique, in a way. This would be as if the '80s Oilers teams or your great team from the early '90s didn't have to break apart because of other circumstances. They're players with amazing pedigrees, have proven track records of success and are big fan favourites, but is it within the team's best interests to keep them until they retire?

I suppose the Red Wings are the closest analogue, because they had that run of great success in the '90s and '00s with a host of great players that they decided to stay loyal to and now they're paying the price for that. I would have thought that would be a cautionary tale, but it may look like Pittsburgh is repeating that mistake.

I'm of the maxim that you maximize the value of your players via trade when they get older instead of keeping them past their point of usefulness. Which is easy to figure out for a lot of players, even many good ones. I suppose the calculus Pittsburgh is making is that resigning Malkin and Letang means they can still trade them later, but will they get a great return on them now? I'm not so sure.

• Love 1
On 10/7/2022 at 11:13 PM, Colleenna said:

YAY, hockey is back! OK, it's  preseason,  but HOCKEY!

A poem for the season:

Hockey  Hockey  Hockey 

Hockey  Hockey  Hockey 

Everybody shut up

Because  Penguins. 

Beautiful...except for the part about the Penguins.

• Like 1

I forgot that the Coyotes got evicted from their old place and are now playing in ASU's 4600 seat arena.

I wonder how that conversation went over with luxury seat owners. "You want me to pay how much to go where?"

Edited by xaxat
9 hours ago, xaxat said:

I forgot that the Coyotes got evicted from their old place and are now playing in ASU's 4600 seat arena.

The Coyotes continue to be an absolute joke. How the NHL can say with a straight face that Phoenix deserves to keep its franchise while Quebec City can continue to get snubbed is beyond me.

Watching the social media side of the Avs in Finland against the Blue Jackets has been a delight. The whole team in the sauna while Lehky sings a song as he throws water on the coals... the jump into the Baltic (Newy saying it wasn't too cold and just like home... oh, those Newfie boys.) Mikko and Lehky doing interviews together. Mikko got a hatty in the first game and Lehky scored (with a great pass from MacK) in the second.

What fun!!

Apparently the Pens will be without Tanger for at least a couple of months. He suffered a very mild stroke on Monday. This is his second one.  Last time he missed two months of the season. Fortunately for him,  UPMC. 

Here's hoping for a complete and speedy recovery.  (Unfortunately without him any hope the Pens had is kaput.)

On 11/30/2022 at 11:31 PM, Colleenna said:

Apparently the Pens will be without Tanger for at least a couple of months. He suffered a very mild stroke on Monday. This is his second one.  Last time he missed two months of the season. Fortunately for him,  UPMC. 

Here's hoping for a complete and speedy recovery.  (Unfortunately without him any hope the Pens had is kaput.)

It's a Christmas miracle.  Letang's stroke was incredibly mild, and caught quickly enough,  that he was back on the ice in tonight's game against the Sabres. 

• Applause 1