Type keyword(s) to search

NHL Thread

Madness
  • Start Topic

I'm not sure if it's a first in sports broadcasting, but tonight the NHL had

A woman hosting the studio show (not unusual)

A woman as a studio analyst

A woman as a commentator for the game

Cited a woman as the journalist who first tweeted news about a breaking story.

• Love 3

LOL

Suck it Islanders and Devils fans! Rangers fans are happy today  

Also, my decades of being a Rangers fan makes me comfortable with saying that the rest of the league probably has nothing to worry about. We have a history. 

• Love 1

The Blue Jackets and the Lightning are currently in a 4 th overtime.

The Bruins and Hurricanes are waiting for the ice.

Haha 😂

Going to. 5th overtime

Edited by shoregirl
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

As a spectator, I think there is nothing in sports more emotionally and mentally exhausting than watching  a marathon NHL playoff game, with your team playing, from start to finish.

I picked up tonight's game late, but I watched the Pens/Flyers 5 OT game back in the nineties. I was so wiped out that I really didn't care that my Pens got beat.

What were they skating during the end of those 5 OT games in the thirties? Slush? I can't imagine what the ice was like back then.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

I remember the 4 OT Caps - Islanders playoff game way back in 198something.  I left work during overtime, and 40 minutes later, got home and the game was still on.  And then it was over and I was sad - and exhausted.  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, xaxat said:

It was the Canucks players and their captain Bo Horvat who were behind that. Bo called a meeting with his players and they discussed the situation and what they could do to contribute and then they all called Ryan Reaves, the black player on the Las Vegas Knights who had been such an ass in the first game. That got the whole ball rolling and got all the player reps talking to each other but credit to Bo for getting it going.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Oskar Lindblom played in a playoff game last night.

Unbelievable, and good on the Islanders for their stick tap upon his first shift.

As much as they’ve had me spitting nails this series that was class.

• Love 1

It was amazing seeing him on the ice tonight. 

This series has been very stressful if I start seeing grey hairs I'm blaming it on the Flyers and not because I'm almost 40. 😂

The Flyers , Canucks and the Avalanche were all down 3-1. All three teams have brought their series to 7 games.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 2

Stanley Cup Finals start tonight.  Not that we wanted it, but having all the sports occurring at the same time period is rather neat.  Usually used to watching the NBA wrap up with hockey (which is still is in a sense), but not having football (pro & college) do business around Hockey's wrap up.  Nevertheless, it could be a great series between the Lightning and the Stars.

I'm rooting for Tampa Bay, of course, but Dallas is a very good team.  They were doing well before everything was shutdown.  Both teams are good, really; they do have their flaws.  However I think the Stars will win their first cup in over 20 years, but not before losing three of their first four games (winning one of their first three though)

• Love 3
On 10/19/2020 at 10:26 AM, shoregirl said:

And that doesn't include his MLB announcing career.

Doc is a huge Pirates' fan (like fantasy camp huge) and would occasionally take a turn at the mike in Pittsburgh or Bradenton.

Edited by xaxat

So the NHL announced that they sold the naming rights to the temporary divisions for 2021.

First, I absolutely love that they did this. The NHL doesn't print money like the NFL, or fall ass-backwards into money despite themselves like MLB. So good for them to figure out a way to pick up a few extra dollars in a way that doesn't cost the fans anything.

Second, here they are:

• Scotia NHL North Division
  • Honda NHL West Division
  • Discover NHL Central Divsion
  • MassMutual NHL East Divsion

Third, I am super sad that the it's not the Tim Hortons NHL North Division.

Super sad.

I think they'll have some logos on the players' helmets. Again, as far as I'm concerned, NASCAR the hell out of them to make whatever money they can make. I want to see Alexis Lafreniere post game interviews in Madison Square Garden with the kid saying, "We played a smart game. I was fortunate to get a goal in the FedEx second period, and we gotta give Iggy a lot of credit for getting the Capital One shutout tonight..."

Not a fan. That ad "helmet entitlement" is huge.

(Seriously, what is up with that phrase? Are we fans supposed to be impressed by it?)

ETA, I also hope it doesn't impact the best example of individualism in sports, goalie mask art.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

Ugh, the Pens' season started as ugly as the Steelers' ended.

Miss Doc already. Does anyone know the scuttlebutt behind Milbury's dismissal? Seems like he did his time for the bubble comment last year and they fired him on the eve of the season?

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1
On 1/14/2021 at 10:45 PM, Moose135 said:

I don't care what happens the rest of this crazy season (well, I really do, but...) seeing the Islanders shut out the Strangers at the Garden to open the season makes me happy!

Good thing you got that one in before the second half of that home and home set, eh?

I'm thinking this could end up being quite a feisty season. SO many games against the same teams, and a lot of those games are against traditional rivals. The Rangers play the Penguins 4 times between 1/22 and 2/1.  Even better, they play four straight games against the Devils 4/13 - 4/18 like it's the playoffs.

• Love 1

I'm not sure about this season (an no not because we lost, we do that often). It's that the same teams keep playing. Which I feel like is unfair, as some teams are just the best team in the division, which will mean they'll just keep winning. Then only the top team goes through, which means no one else has a shot.

Todays outdoor game with the Avalanche and the Golden Knights has been delayed until 09:00 local time (Midnight eastern time) after playing one period . The sun was causing the ice to be to slushy. Tomorrow's game with the Flyers and Bruins will start at 730 eastern also due to the sun.

It's a shame the weather in Lake Tahoe didn't cooperate as the much as the NHL wanted because the visuals of rink with mountains and lake in the background were gorgeous.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 5

The NHL announces that referee Tim Peel will no longer work games after he was caught on microphone saying he was looking to call penalty against Nashville during a game on Tuesday night.

Here's the audio:

Edited by Popples
On 3/4/2021 at 3:25 PM, morriss said:

56 game season with a champion is a sham. It's bullshit, like last year's MLB 60 game season... all in the pursuit of $$$$

I don't want it to be the new format, but I think this seasons is hella fun. I think 56 (out of 82) games is a big enough sample size to separate the playoff contenders from the pretenders. 

The fact that it's all conference play isn't ideal, but it was a necessary compromise to include the Canadian teams. But at the same time, it makes every game more important because outcomes are zero sum. Either you get the points, or a team you are competing against for a playoff spot does. And regulation wins matter because it denies your in division opponent an OT point.

And yeah, it is about $$$, because it is a business.

• Love 1
On 3/28/2021 at 5:07 PM, xaxat said:

I don't want it to be the new format, but I think this seasons is hella fun. I think 56 (out of 82) games is a big enough sample size to separate the playoff contenders from the pretenders

I agree with this. I think it's fair to say that with a full season, you might have ended up with at least 2 and as many as 4 different teams at the bottom of the 16 who make the playoffs.

And for the NHL, it's really all about the Stanley Cup tournament anyway.  They're going to play a full playoffs, and the winner in my opinion will be deserving of holding the cup.

On 3/28/2021 at 5:07 PM, xaxat said:

And yeah, it is about $$$, because it is a business.

Heh. I would say that the 82 game season is a lot more "it's all about the $$$" than anything else the NHL does.  

It's weird. Every other league is going out of its way to increase the viewer base by trying new things. Even if it pisses off the traditionalists (MLB). The NHL (and their broadcasters) is the only one that still caters to the hardcore fan. I'm sure the ratings were up for the Rangers/Caps rematch, but how many people tuned in because they suspected it was going to be a shitshow and then turned away thinking "Well, that was a shitshow"? 

Not a good look. Even for for a lot of long time fans. (Me)

• Love 2
On 5/4/2021 at 8:09 PM, xaxat said:

Good job NHL! You're letting Tom Wilson drag the public image of the league back twenty years.

Although I suppose Don Cherry is happy.

I can't believe he only got a $5K fine for that and the Ranger organization got a $250K fine for criticizing player safety.  I think the NHL WANTS that crap.

Anyhoo, I'm happy because my team clenched the division AND beat the damn Caps 6-2 this year.

It does make me laugh, how all these teams are like "this is our best home record ever" or "this is the best goals against average ever."  Well, duh.  Short season.

• Love 2

I'm honestly not counting this season really. Don't get get me wrong we still would have sucked (Sabre's fan) but we got stuck playing the same teams. So if we got to play the other terrible teams we may have won more games. So you can't really compare this season to others as there were less games and everyone played the same teams without playing anyone else.

• Love 1
On 5/9/2021 at 11:53 AM, blueray said:

I'm honestly not counting this season really. Don't get get me wrong we still would have sucked (Sabre's fan) but we got stuck playing the same teams. So if we got to play the other terrible teams we may have won more games. So you can't really compare this season to others as there were less games and everyone played the same teams without playing anyone else.

Yeah, this season's stats should have an asterisk.  Even if my team goes all the way, it won't be the same.

• Love 1

A Penguins' beat writer pointed out that as of this morning (Thursday), Pens fans know the Steelers' schedule running through next year but have no official notice of when the Pens will start the playoffs. Presumably this weekend.

• LOL 4