Type keyword(s) to search

NHL Thread

Madness
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, dkb said:

I echo these sentiments, please don't ever ever leave us Auston! 

Of course we would still lose after that stellar game from Auston Matthews. Oh Leafs.

I actually like the way that turned out.

To me the most exciting part of Auston wasn't the 4 goals (although that was wonderful), it was him taking credit for the loss at the end of the game because he lost his coverage in OT. He could've easily said "I scored 4 goals, what more do you want from me?" but the kid wants to win.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1
On 10/14/2016 at 2:22 PM, Maximum Taco said:

I actually like the way that turned out.

To me the most exciting part of Auston wasn't the 4 goals (although that was wonderful), it was him taking credit for the loss at the end of the game because he lost his coverage in OT. He could've easily said "I scored 4 goals, what more do you want from me?" but the kid wants to win.

I think how that game pretty much showed you how this season is going to turn out for the Leafs. a LOT of entertainment, a lot of hope for the future from the Big Three - and a lot of losses, because the defense is not good, and I do think that's where Lou is going to target. (please). 

I was telling my one guy friend - Auston Matthews was genetically engineered for Toronto. He has to be. Like nothing phases this kid. The Media  acts like well you know, The Media (he got the stupid "so did Lou/Shanny share the parade route, har har har, are they gonna build you a statue? har har har." and he just went like. "What? You realise it was just one game right." Like the fact that the face of this franchise of a hockey rabid city in a hockey rabid country is on the back of of a kid who grew up in Phoenix is the most hilarious thing to me. 

But this is going to be the best thing for the NHL. (better than McDavid in Toronto which a lot of people wanted). Having A South-Western American player who went #1 overall, and is this good justifies 100% the decisions to have California/Desert/South Florida teams more so than the fact that there are already 5 cups in those regions. because Anyone (except for Toronto, apparently), can win a cup. but what grows the game are superstars. And while there are many many more Californian Born players, and Florida Born players in the NHL (11 and 4 by my count) - none of them stands out. 

And now here is Auston Matthews. NBC flat out picked up the Leafs game tonight because of him. (they said so). all this exposure is going to be nuts for the NHL, and he's the USA Headliner (American Lemieux to Canda's McJesus). I'd argue the only thing that sucks  - is that McDavid is in Edmonton so you only get that matchup twice a year. the side benefit is that Eichel is in the the Leafs divison so you get that matchup 8x a year + playoffs (playoffs?! PLAYOFFS?!) 

I've never been so giddy to be a Leafs fan in my life. It feels good. 

• Love 1

Well I would be giddy to be a Leafs fan if we weren't just constantly blowing leads in the 3rd.

Don't get me wrong, we're icing a ton of rookies and a new goalie and a very inexperienced D corps. I expected to lose our fair share of games. But I expected to lose in less heartbreaking fashion.

Seriously Leafs, my ticker can't take this.

• Love 1

Okay Leafs fans, the Orlando Solar Bears (your ECHL affiliate) open their season tonight and it's my third year as a season ticket holder and I cannot wait.  Hopefully there will be some decent talent on the team that could possibly move up to the Marlies and/or the Leafs this year like our beloved Garret Sparks did last season.

30 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Okay Leafs fans, the Orlando Solar Bears (your ECHL affiliate) open their season tonight and it's my third year as a season ticket holder and I cannot wait.  Hopefully there will be some decent talent on the team that could possibly move up to the Marlies and/or the Leafs this year like our beloved Garret Sparks did last season.

Goalie Kasimir Kaskisuo is supposedly a very highly touted prospect. He played 2 games for the Marlies last year after finishing his college career at U Minnesota-Duluth, this is his first year with the Solar Bears. 

I doubt he makes the Leafs without a rash of horrible injuries, but he could easily get called to the Marlies. 

This is more minor league/ECHL-related, but I hope you'll indulge me, & I'm posting it here in case anyone here is familiar with the man.

I doubt this will mean anything to anyone here (besides me) unless you follow (particularly minor league/ECHL) hockey, are from the Northeast Indiana/Northwest Ohio area, or you're familiar with WOWO Radio in that area (particularly from the days when their 50,000 watts stretched across a good chunk of the country--& even around the world--especially at night), but legendary Hall of Fame hockey/sports broadcaster Bob Chase died today, at age 90, of congestive heart failure.

He's most notable for calling Fort Wayne (IN) Komets hockey games, in multiple minor hockey leagues, for all but 1 of their 65 seasons until his illness prevented him from calling any games this season--so he was behind the mic (at "Radio Rinkside", as he called it) for 63 of their (currently) 65 seasons. Chase's tenure behind the mic is apparently second only to that of recent Presidential Medal of Freedom honoree & retired LA Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully, who called games for 67 seasons until retiring at the end of the most recent MLB season. He also called the real-life basketball game depicted in the movie Hoosiers, among his career milestones not related to hockey. And he mentored NBC's equally-legendary NHL broadcaster Mike "Doc" Emrick, who grew up in the Northeast Indiana area.

http://news-sentinel.com/news/local/Fort-Wayne-legend-Bob-Chase-has-passed?platform=hootsuite

• Love 2
On November 24, 2016 at 6:52 PM, MyAimIsTrue said:

I wasn't familiar with Bob Chase but as a season ticket holder to an ECHL team, and having seen the Komets play, I appreciate what you taught me about the man.  Sounds like we lost a good one.

Indeed we have lost a good one. Being an ECHL season ticketholder as you are, you should Google "Bob Chase hockey". Granted, maybe you won't find that much, but you should find out why his loss is such a big one to our city, & to the professional hockey community, from what's there; especially if you read the articles related to his passing which were published in our local papers, The Journal-Gazette & The News-Sentinel, on/since Thursday. You might also YouTube him. NBC, & "Doc" Emrick, profiled him during the intermission of an NHL game, I think last season, & I think that might be on YouTube.

There was definitely something of a pall around town over the Thanksgiving holiday because of the loss of Bob Chase. By the way, Chase was actually his "stage name"; when he got into sports broadcasting, his real last name, Wallenstein, was deemed "too long" for someone in that profession--so he used the maiden name of his wife, Muriel (aka "Murph"), to whom he was married for 65 years when he passed, on the air.

2 hours ago, MarkHB said:

All-Star Tournament?

After last year's ASG, it's kinda meh. But then again, I doubt John Scott story will ever be topped, so I guess it's rather unfair to compare. (did anyone read his book? I'm considering to take it to a vacation as a beach read in few weeks)

I DID love that The Players' Tribune hired Bryz to... be Bryz lol That man needs some kind of permanent job like a blog, or an "analytical" weekly instalment on, lets' say NHLN, or just NHL.com.

Edited by vavera4ka
4 hours ago, xaxat said:

Looks like the third place team in the Patrick Metropolitan might have more points that any other division leader. 

The Metro is freaking stacked. 

I feel sorry for the 2nd and 3rd seeds. They are gonna be the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the league, and their reward? They get to play each other in round 1.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1

it's the nature of the modern day league. Last few seasons it was Central that was stacked. Before it was Pacific, when Dallas was still part of it. Especially that one season when I think it was actually them who fell 1 or 2 points short of it being all 5 Pacific teams in the Western conference play offs.

Edited by vavera4ka

I nominate the Toronto Maple Leafs for the "Sad Sack Franchise of the Century."   First they say they are going to be a shitty team for 4/5 years while the Shan-a-plan takes shape.... Then they over achieve and make the play-offs........Now what better way to repay their loyal fans-   charge absolutely outrageous prices for play-off tickets.   (Don't be surprised if they get wiped out in 4 straight)    

Not expecting the Leafs to win anything this year, which I feel everyone in Toronto knows. Just happy that they made it to playoffs. Winning a few games would be great but wouldn't be that disappointed if they leave after the first round. 

I feel they can get 1 game from Washington too, I don't think it will be a sweep.

The ticket thing is the way they have operated forever now, not surprised. 

So many interesting matchups this year, and happy about the other Canadian teams as well. It all starts tonight! 

On 2017-04-11 at 4:22 PM, morriss said:

I nominate the Toronto Maple Leafs for the "Sad Sack Franchise of the Century."   First they say they are going to be a shitty team for 4/5 years while the Shan-a-plan takes shape.... Then they over achieve and make the play-offs........Now what better way to repay their loyal fans-   charge absolutely outrageous prices for play-off tickets.   (Don't be surprised if they get wiped out in 4 straight)    

They aren't that outrageous.

Toronto is just an expensive city. Look at tickets for the Jays or Raptors when they make the playoffs. Toronto loves a winner and is willing to pay, why shouldn't they make money? Also the money they make is poured right into the franchise, Toronto never balks at paying players and has the most expensive and extensive front office and scouting staff in the League, which is why they drafted/traded for guys like Nylander, Brown, Hyman, Komarov, when other teams passed them by. It's why they can afford to own and base their AHL team in the same city, and therefore take a strong hand on their player development. Almost all the Leafs (except Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner) have spent time with the AHL Marlies.

Not to mention the money the Leafs make also help to support the Raptors (also in the playoffs for the third straight year) and TFC (went to the championship game last season.) MLSE is pocketing some money, no doubt they are a business, but they are doing their all to produce a winner for the city.   

No one will be surprised if they get bounced in 4, the Caps are a much better team, even if they didn't play like it in game 1. But you'll struggle to find any upset Leafs fans in Toronto.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1

Well that hurts. But proud of the Toronto Maple Leafs and the fight they brought to the Capitals. 5 out of 6 games went to overtime, which is just crazy. 

Only 2 Canadian teams left in the playoffs, but overall great series in the first round. Can't wait to see how it all shakes out.

Also rooting for Nashville to finally make it, especially for PK Subban. 

On 4/23/2017 at 10:18 PM, dkb said:

Also rooting for Nashville to finally make it, especially for PK Subban.

Whenever my team gets bounced, (Rangers fan here, so not yet this year) I tend to root for the fan base I think deserves it the most, rarely the team itself. I would be a big Leafs fan for example. You guys... such huge fans, such a long wait.  

I think some of it has to do with the team I root for. For reference, I lost a bunch of weight a while back. When I cleared out my closet of the XL clothing, I kept my 1994 Stanley Cup Champion tee shirt. Because I'm pretty sure I'm only getting one of those in this lifetime. Heh. Stupid Rangers. Yet I keep watching.

• Love 2

Really sucks that ESPN has gutted their entire hockey staff during it's bloodletting today. 

Pierre LeBrun, Scott Burnside, Joe McDonald and John Buccigross were all laid off Wednesday.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Really sucks that ESPN has gutted their entire hockey staff during it's bloodletting today. 

Pierre LeBrun, Scott Burnside, Joe McDonald and John Buccigross were all laid off Wednesday.

From a purely personal appreciation perspective:  EH, Eh, eh, and NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 1
Just now, bosawks said:

From a purely personal appreciation perspective:  EH, Eh, eh, and NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha! 

ESPN might as well rebrand to all Football all the time with a side of NBA

• Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:57 AM, JTMacc99 said:

Whenever my team gets bounced, (Rangers fan here, so not yet this year) I tend to root for the fan base I think deserves it the most, rarely the team itself. I would be a big Leafs fan for example. You guys... such huge fans, such a long wait.  

I think some of it has to do with the team I root for. For reference, I lost a bunch of weight a while back. When I cleared out my closet of the XL clothing, I kept my 1994 Stanley Cup Champion tee shirt. Because I'm pretty sure I'm only getting one of those in this lifetime. Heh. Stupid Rangers. Yet I keep watching.

and that's exactly why I'll never root for Nashville. Petty, trashy, whiny fans. I hate the chants that are being promoted by their own team. Like sing-song chanting of the name (usually a goalie) and then "you suck! you suck! you suck!" like really? stay classy.

Or when they won their first franchise series ever... You'd think it's a celebration worthy event, chant for your team, scream, yell, be ecstatic! you are going to the 2nd round. What did they do? went on taunting the losing team. I don't like sore losers, but I hate people who can't win with class and grace with a heat of thousand suns. Because you have to make an extra step to intentionally be nasty when you are on a high of a good emotion. It's easier to tumble down to that spot when you are disappointed and sad. So I can at least somewhat understand the sore loser reaction.

Worst part, I went to few MKE Admirals games and ever since it became a farm of Nashville, that "you suck" chant has travelled to the Admirals arena too. I can't bring myself to be rooting for a home team when I go to those games.  Though last game I went to  I was slightly more inclined based on absolutely insane PK, especially a lengthy 5-on-3. It was so beautiful! lol That game I was rooting for Admirals. A hockey fan in me won over "humanity fan" in a "can't argue with that" way lol

2 hours ago, vavera4ka said:

and that's exactly why I'll never root for Nashville. Petty, trashy, whiny fans. I hate the chants that are being promoted by their own team. Like sing-song chanting of the name (usually a goalie) and then "you suck! you suck! you suck!" like really? stay classy.

Or when they won their first franchise series ever... You'd think it's a celebration worthy event, chant for your team, scream, yell, be ecstatic! you are going to the 2nd round. What did they do? went on taunting the losing team. I don't like sore losers, but I hate people who can't win with class and grace with a heat of thousand suns. Because you have to make an extra step to intentionally be nasty when you are on a high of a good emotion. It's easier to tumble down to that spot when you are disappointed and sad. So I can at least somewhat understand the sore loser reaction.

Worst part, I went to few MKE Admirals games and ever since it became a farm of Nashville, that "you suck" chant has travelled to the Admirals arena too. I can't bring myself to be rooting for a home team when I go to those games.  Though last game I went to  I was slightly more inclined based on absolutely insane PK, especially a lengthy 5-on-3. It was so beautiful! lol That game I was rooting for Admirals. A hockey fan in me won over "humanity fan" in a "can't argue with that" way lol

I didn't know this. Not cool Nashville fans not cool. 

I tend to cheer for the players that I like, thats why I want Nashville to make it, for Subban. 

On another note, apparently Ottawa is having a hard time selling out the arena even in the playoffs this year. I know that during the regular season that they don't get great numbers but playoffs are usually a better time.

Who was Barry Trotz (washington coach) trying to bullshit last night in the post game interview???   He said Niskenan's vicious cross check to Sidney Crosby's head was "a hockey play".    Yeah right!!   He also got a little testy with one of the reporters when the reporter asked him if Ovie's slash was also a hockey play?  

• Love 1
On 2017-04-28 at 3:44 PM, dkb said:

On another note, apparently Ottawa is having a hard time selling out the arena even in the playoffs this year. I know that during the regular season that they don't get great numbers but playoffs are usually a better time.

The season sales has been lower overall this year. I think there are a lot of theories on this, but I think Game 2 was nearly sold out. It's not because the fans don't love the team though. New management, the arena (which is old and has always been out of the way for a lot of fans), and the overall pricing have turned off a lot of people. The city is undergoing a massive change in various areas and one of the things proposed is a new arena. I think this only makes people more jaded about the status quo. It's worn down a lot of fans on the idea of going to the game because it's become such a high expense and hassle.

• Love 1
On 4/26/2017 at 4:36 PM, xaxat said:

I have loved watching the Penguins torturing the Caps during the playoffs over the years. But I'm not feeling as confident this year. Don't know why.

Ummm, I was wrong.

Whoooo HOooo!

I don't remember if he specifically referred to the Caps as choking dogs, but the segment was definitely about them losing and not the Pens winning the series. 

Which is kind of frustrating as a Pens fan. While the Caps did outplay them for much of the series, a hot goaltender like Fleury can make all of the difference in a series and it's not like the Pens (second in points, defending Cup champs) are a bunch of chumps.

You gotta love playoff hockey.  The  continuous cross checking, slashing, spearing, holding, slew footing, and tripping.....and it gets worse for the guy who actually has the puck.....lol

• Love 1

After Ryan Getzlaf was fined $10,000 for calling a referee a "c*********" some idiot has started a GopFundMe fund to pay the fine, "to “send a message” to the “sinister NHL” that “no more will this kind of snowflake over reaction to words stand.”"