Type keyword(s) to search

The Chew - General Discussion

Lola16
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Machiabelly said:

Can anyone tell me the name of the restaurant that had the chili mac and cheese or what was on top of the chili?

I don't remember the name of the restaurant but a fried egg was on top. And I do recall it being an 'off menu' item.  

I don't know that I'd have any of the mashups but that one made me shudder.

7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't remember the name of the restaurant but a fried egg was on top. And I do recall it being an 'off menu' item.  

I don't know that I'd have any of the mashups but that one made me shudder.

Thanks. It made me hungry.

• Love 1
(edited)

Carla was out on yesterday's show and they filled her absence with Yvette Nicole Brown and Jennifer Esposito.  I like the former; the latter annoys the ever-loving shit out of me - the way she talks,  the clothes she wears,  her hairstyle,  and the pseudoscience "nutrition" she spews. I get that she has Celiac disease.  That doesn't make her a dietician.  

Edited by librarianbeck
  • Love 2
(edited)

The buritto making segment was a total waste of time. Also, as a SF resident I feel it necessary to point out that Michael was wrong about Mission style burrito. What he was talking about is a specific subset of a Mission burnrito called a dorado.

I wonder if Carla and Matthew will move to NYC fulltme now that his job doesn't require him to be in DC.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I wonder if Carla and Matthew will move to NYC fulltme now that his job doesn't require him to be in DC.

I was wondering the same thing.  But him quitting does make it seem like Carla expects to have steady work.

2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I was wondering the same thing.  But him quitting does make it seem like Carla expects to have steady work.

I thonk her prosepcts are fine even if the show got cancelled. And he is a lawyer so I assume he can find work his yoga dream doesn't woek out.

(edited)
On 5/10/2018 at 1:07 PM, librarianbeck said:

Carla was out on yesterday's show and they filled her absence with Yvette Nicole Brown and Jennifer Esposito.  I like the former; the latter annoys the ever-loving shit out of me - the way she talks,  the clothes she wears,  her hairstyle,  and the pseudoscience "nutrition" she spews. I get that she has Celiac disease.  That doesn't make her a dietician.  

I could not agree more about Jennifer Esposito's loud, annoying, pseudoscience bullshit. Yvette Nicole Brown would not be the worst choice for a fourth host, on the other hand (based solely on personality--I actually think they need someone with more cooking gravitas).

Pnina Tornai was kind of a waste of time on today's show but I feel that way about her as a designer, as well.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 2

I'm not going to lie.  I cried during this segment (shown below).  I laughed too (as I also did later on in the episode, when Carla and Clinton made off the cuff comments alluding to being out of work, and when Clinton started drinking)... but I definitely had to wipe some tears from my eyes.    I know that the 3 of them are trying to keep a positive attitude and not dwell on being sad and angry, and they will each go on to do other things (separately and maybe even together once in a while), but you can tell that they are sad about it.    And when I see that they are trying to not get emotional, then I get emotional!  lol   

Also, it's touching to see that they love each other and think so highly of each other.    It appears very genuine and real.   As Michael said, when you get to a certain age, you might still meet a lot of people but you don't necessarily get really close to the people you meet because you already have your established circle of friends.   I think he was as surprised as Clinton and Carla were that they all became like family to each other.

I think that if they were leaving under different circumstances -- like they chose to leave because they wanted to move on and felt as though they had done all they could do on the show -- I would not be as sad because I would know it was their decision to do something else.    But, as Wendy Williams indicated in her show today when she talked about the cancellation of The Chew, it seems that they were all blindsided, and it seems like there are things ABC could have tried to make another season work before resorting to cancellation (that is, assuming that no new allegations against Mario come out that could impact The Chew even more).

• Love 5

They all took it hard.  Clinton was lit.  They will all do fine and land on their feet.  I don't think any of them saw this coming.  I turned off half-in - way too painful.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't even cook and I love this show.  I never miss the first 10 minutes. I sometimes ff though the cooking segments, but I love the interaction between these three so I watch a lot of it. I find it strange that they're canceling now.  I hated Mario and Daphne so I was glad when they left and watched more. 

Today was so terribly sad. I know they'll land on their feet, but I'll really miss seeing these three together every day.

I'm so sad. :'(

Edited by SusanwatchingTV
  • Love 8
(edited)

I think I will really start to notice the absence of this show as soon as fall kicks in.    This kind of series is so important when you get into that holiday-heavy section of the year (Oct-Nov-Dec), because there is so much cooking, entertaining, decorating and crafting that goes on surrounding those days.      The daily shows really lend themselves well to helping people prepare for the holiday onslaught more than the shows that only run once per week (like The Kitchen). 

And then, of course, you get into the less intense holiday/special occasion phase that stretches from Valentine's Day through Cinco de Mayo, and, although there is clearly not as much pressure around planning a Mardi Gras-themed lunch or decorating Easter eggs as there would be to fix Thanksgiving dinner for a huge family, it still helps to have a show like The Chew to cover all of those special celebrations and give creative ideas.

There are plenty of daily talk shows everywhere, and many of them have random cooking or crafting segments thrown in.   But there really aren't many shows like The Chew, which is a great mix of multiple hosts talking about their lives, interviewing guests and cooking/crafting without serious political debates and arguments over gun control or whatever.   The Chew is sort of like the best parts of the Rachael Ray Show, the best parts of what The View used to be in its heyday, the best parts of Kelly & Ryan/Regis & Kelly/Kelly & Michael and the best parts of Home & Family over on the Hallmark Channel -- all rolled into one, and better than any of those other shows in their current formats.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

But, as Wendy Williams indicated in her show today when she talked about the cancellation of The Chew, it seems that they were all blindsided

I would imagine they were.  This is pretty late for them to cancel the show and they only have two weeks of taping to process it. 

I am not normally sentimental but I wanted to hug the whole cast today.

• Love 8

I am so sad about this cancellation. I watched yesterday and Clinton had no fucks to give. They cracked me up with the pimping out everyone for a new job. I hope to see them in a new project soon.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I agree. I work out to this show every day so I am going to miss it daily but I especially will miss it in the build-up to the holidays.

I'm with you.  This was my hit the treadmill show M-F.  I could bypass the commercials and get a great 30-minute walk/jog/run in.  Although this show is about food it helped me lose 100 pounds and I learned some great cooking tips to help me maintain my weight loss.  

• Love 10
On 5/24/2018 at 4:37 PM, jcbrown said:

Today's episode was sad and funny. I'm really going to miss these guys.

Me too. And it seems that since they got canned they have been extra funny and fun. I will miss this show so so much. I wonder if some other network or something will pick them up? Like what happened with Conan. I can wish. *sigh*

Clinton: "Carla's drink is virgin. I dont know what's in it. I didn't make it." gulp gulp heh

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, ari333 said:

I will miss this show so so much. I wonder if some other network or something will pick them up? Like what happened with Conan. I can wish. *sigh*

I will wish right there with you. Carla did comment in an interview recently (the one where she told fans not to blame GMA) that they might get picked up by another network. I don't know if that was just speculation or hope, though.

• Love 1

Another network could create a show for them, with a different title and the same sort of format.   They wouldn't legally be able to do certain things that were specific to The Chew, but there are ways it could work.   They could easily find a new home on CBS, NBC or Fox, if any of those networks were interested enough and wanted to tweak their schedules a bit to fit them in, and it would be an easier transition for a lot of the longtime viewers to just switch to another major network.   The show would get the most exposure on the major networks.   

They could also get picked up for some sort of show on a streaming-only service, but I suspect that could be a tougher transition at first.

I would worry about Clinton, Carla and Michael doing the show on Food Network (of course, Carla and Michael already appear on Food Network in other shows) because I suspect that Food Network would want to cut out a lot of the opening segment chit chat  that makes the show fun, and just focus on food and food-related segments only (as is the case on The Kitchen).  In other words, would we hear the hosts talk about their lives at all in a Food Network show, or would it be just straight to the food?   

Don't get me wrong -- I like the cooking segments, of course, but I also like to hear them talk about what they did over the weekend, or what they did over the summer, over the holidays, what their spouses and pets are up to, etc.   I like that they have room to react to unexpected/unplanned moments that pop up on The Chew -- like if Clinton unintentionally says something hilarious such as "sweet turd" (Monday's show), or Carla accidentally curses or falls off of a stool, or a guest is saying weird things, etc.    If they were on Food Network, I think that a lot of that kind of thing might be edited out to make room for more food segments.

If another network does step in to try to make Clinton, Carla and Michael an offer, I don't know if a new show could be put together soon enough for the fall TV season.   Probably not.  But maybe as a mid-season replacement?  We might have to wait until 2019 to see if anything happens. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TVFan17 said:

I suspect that Food Network would want to cut out a lot of the opening segment chit chat  that makes the show fun, and just focus on food and food-related segments only (as is the case on The Kitchen).  In other words, would we hear the hosts talk about their lives at all in a Food Network show, or would it be just straight to the food?

The Kitchen has done crafts too.  But I do agree that if they were on the Food Network, we'd lose the delightful daily banter since most TFN shows tape in blocks.  Like The Kitchen does maybe 4 or six episodes at a time?  (I'm not sure but you can tell they're block taped because if one of the stars misses one episode, they miss the next few weeks too). 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The Kitchen has done crafts too.  But I do agree that if they were on the Food Network, we'd lose the delightful daily banter since most TFN shows tape in blocks.  Like The Kitchen does maybe 4 or six episodes at a time?  (I'm not sure but you can tell they're block taped because if one of the stars misses one episode, they miss the next few weeks too). 

Yes.  And it's always amusing to see photos that Sunny or Katie post from, for example, a Halloween episode taped way, way in advance of when it airs!    Their Halloween show is probably sandwiched in between a bunch of generic, non-holiday-specific shows that have to be taped.

Omg today’s episode had my laughing until tears were streaming out of my eyes.  I’m only up through Carla’s salmon bit.  Damn I am going to miss this show.

• Love 3
(edited)

I am watching it now (West Coast airing) -- I have only begun to watch it at noon instead of DVR-ing it since they announced the cancellation -- and I have already laughed out loud several times.   Clinton, Michael and Carla are on fire!   They have not even gotten to her salmon segment yet, but they are already on a roll!

Dumb ass ABC.

Edited to add:   The salmon segment!   Tears are falling down my face faster than I can wipe them up!  Every time Clinton erupts into laughter over Carla's comments, I laugh even harder.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 4

I made the mistake of taking a sip of water right as Carla said “It doesn’t have to be olive oil” and that put me right over the top and I ended up choking trying to laugh and swallow at the same time. 

• Love 5

I put this question into the Recipe Box thread, but not sure if anyone saw it...  --> Does anyone know if we'll still be able to access the recipes online after the show ends? 

Here are my last few ideas while this show is still on:  I'm going to miss this show so much.  It was just a fun show where you could get some great ideas that almost always were winners.  The hosts all have so much chemistry.  Damnit, Mario...why do you have to be so gross?  I do believe that at least Michael knew about his antics.  And I'm sure the others knew from rumors.  I have shows building up on my DVR, so I'm looking forward to more of their IDGAF attitude and humor as I catch up. 

Favorite Guests: Geez...I can't think of anyone really specific.  Just people who the hosts fangirl over and are really receptive and fun.  I like celebs who actually cook and eat and/or are enthusiastic.  I can't believe the # of guests who admit that they literally never cook and clearly can't even cut a carrot properly.  Hollywood must really be made of starving people and/or those who get meal delivery. 

Lease Favorite Guests: Idina Menzel - acted like such a spoiled brat when the Rockettes came in and "interrupted HER segment."  Paula Deen - telling Clinton he was like a turd in the punchbowl.  Jamie Lee Curtis - taking over the interview with Clinton and being so weird about what they were making.

• Love 3

These past few episodes are really making me feel for Carla.  I think she's struggling the most with this.  Clinton has been in show business a while and while I think he would have liked to keep doing this, he's had more than one show end before so he probably has experience with the drill.  Michael has his restaurants and The Food Network so while I think he would have liked to keep doing this, he at least knows where he'll be.  But Carla's husband just quit his job so he could pursue his yoga dream.  And her restaurant closed pretty quickly so she probably doesn't know what she'll be doing on June 18th.  I know it's sappy but I felt bad for her when she was talking about trying to get in all the plays she can because she'll probably be leaving NYC. 

I know it's unlikely but I really wish someone would put together another show with these three. 

• Love 8

I on't know if anything will be worked out, but, I would actually not be shocked at all if other networks were already coming forward with offers.    Some of those offers will probably be for each host individually, and some might be for all 3 of them together.    If those offers have not already come in, I think they will come in shortly after The Chew is over.  

The question is... if those offers come in,  are any of them going to be worthwhile and enticing enough to keep Clinton, Carla and Michael together?  Also, if those offers come in, how soon would they come in and would it be soon enough to get the 3 of them on board for a new project before they each sign on for other projects?

I truly think that Carla can -- and very possibly will -- get her own show on either Food Network or the Cooking Channel.  She already has a presence there when she appears on the Halloween Baking shows and what not, and she has her Top Chef background.  If Daphne can be a recurring guest on various Food Network shows, Carla most certainly can do that and much, much more.   Hopefully she can finally get a chance to do Dancing with the Stars too (the next season will start in September, so this would be a great time for them to approach her).

Clinton can easily end up with another show involving makeovers/fashion, or a crafting/DIY kind of show.    He could host a game show, host an HGTV show, or replace someone else on a talk show.  He has a lot of options and several different directions he could take, I think. 

And, as Irlandesa said, Michael already has a lot going on outside of The Chew.

I'm just not certain that other offers for the 3 of them to do a show together will come in soon enough and get worked out soon enough to get them on board within 6-12 months, for example.    If they work together again at all, we might have to wait a long time to see their next show.  But I do think that someone will offer the 3 of them something to do together.   Whether it's a decent offer and whether they accept it or not is another story.

• Love 1
On 6/7/2018 at 2:59 PM, abc123 said:

I put this question into the Recipe Box thread, but not sure if anyone saw it...  --> Does anyone know if we'll still be able to access the recipes online after the show ends? 

Here are my last few ideas while this show is still on:  I'm going to miss this show so much.  It was just a fun show where you could get some great ideas that almost always were winners.  The hosts all have so much chemistry.  Damnit, Mario...why do you have to be so gross?  I do believe that at least Michael knew about his antics.  And I'm sure the others knew from rumors.  I have shows building up on my DVR, so I'm looking forward to more of their IDGAF attitude and humor as I catch up. 

Favorite Guests: Geez...I can't think of anyone really specific.  Just people who the hosts fangirl over and are really receptive and fun.  I like celebs who actually cook and eat and/or are enthusiastic.  I can't believe the # of guests who admit that they literally never cook and clearly can't even cut a carrot properly.  Hollywood must really be made of starving people and/or those who get meal delivery. 

Lease Favorite Guests: Idina Menzel - acted like such a spoiled brat when the Rockettes came in and "interrupted HER segment."  Paula Deen - telling Clinton he was like a turd in the punchbowl.  Jamie Lee Curtis - taking over the interview with Clinton and being so weird about what they were making.

How about Nene Leakes dissing one of the grandmas ?

• Love 2

re: Nene Leakes...I don't remember that, but I just googled it and I guess at one point Michael said he would never forgive her for what she said to the grandma, so it must have been bad!  Good one!

• Love 1
(edited)

I enjoyed the kids competing for scholarships last Friday but I am a little bummed that they are taking away time from the hosts during some of the very few remaining episodes. And if ABC preempts The Chew tomorrow for a stupid parade for the NBA champs, I will be quite put out.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, jcbrown said:

And if ABC preempts The Chew tomorrow for a stupid parade for the NBA champs, I will be quite put out.

Get ready to be put out. They preempt the show at the drop of a hat or several drops of rain.

I agree about the cooking competition. It was obviously filmed before they were cancelled and makes me wonder if the plan was to do a segment every Friday culminating in the last actual new episode (three weeks from now) but this way seems crazy rushed.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

We're back to live shows now, right?  I'm REALLY surprised that they didn't mention Anthony Bourdain...he was such a trailblazer, and even was a judge on Top Chef so there are definite connections between them.  Maybe I missed it because I've been zipping thru the cooking competition, but...

They did mention him at the top of the show. Michael got choked up talking about him and Carla talked about being afraid when he judged her on Top Chef then about hosting a show with him later.  Michael seems really broken up by his death it made me teary eyed

• Love 2

Thank you, shoregirl.  I missed that somehow...or maybe I picked the wrong show on my DVR (I'm a bit backed up).  I thought it would be just wrong if they didn't mention it.  I would imagine Mario is devastated as well.  My husband saw Anthony and Mario walking through an airport many years ago and was in a urinal next to Anthony a few minutes later!  Such a sad loss. 

(edited)

I am guessing that the intro segment, in which Michael and Carla talked about Anthony, will be posted on Facebook, or on The Chew's website sometime later today or tomorrow.   Maybe on YouTube.   As shoregirl indicated, Michael was visibly shaken and holding back his emotions as best he could.

I think that some viewers on Facebook still get confused about the taping schedule, so they didn't realize that yesterday's show was taped last week, before Anthony passed away.  Some of the viewers assumed that Carla, Michael and Clinton were just choosing to not talk about Anthony (even though both Carla and Michael posted about Anthony on social media on Friday, right after the news was announced).

I think that Mario and Anthony had a friendship at one point (I don't know how close they were, in other words) and a definite respect for each other in the culinary world... until all of the Mario news came out late last year.  When that happened, Anthony gave a couple of quotes about it, and it did not seem like he had any feeling for Mario left at all.   Who knows if they talked behind the scenes about the allegations, but Anthony seemed to remove himself from any friendship he may have had with Mario after that (which made sense, as Anthony proudly supported his girlfriend, Asia Argento, in her emerging presence in the MeToo movement).

But I'm sure Mario is quite sad that someone he once had a friendship with, someone he admired, is gone so suddenly and under such tragic circumstances.

Carla is on the Harry Connick Jr. show today.  She did not mention The Chew being cancelled (before my local news broke into the show to report a fire), so I wonder if it was a repeat??  I will miss the rest of the segment, because of the news.

I remember when Harry Connick Jr. first appeared on The Chew years ago.  Was it in Season 1 or 2?   Carla was sooooo excited that he was there because she had a crush on him.  And now he calls her a "culinary cutie" and "future Broadway star"!

Edited by TVFan17
57 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Thanks for posting that because as predicted it was preempted for the Warriors parade. 

Four f#@ing hours of Warriors orgasms preempted one of the last episodes of this show. ABC, you're dead to me.

• Love 1

In DC and the Metro area, we were preempted all day on most channels for the Caps Stanley Cup win parade and follow-up. Look at it this way: there are more sports fans than Chew fans, so they're going with the sports.

TVFan17 - Thanks for posting that.  I guess I am one of the confused ones because I thought Monday was live, and I'm in the DC area too so I would have missed yesterday's show.  I had even checked The Chew's FB page yesterday, but it wasn't up yet.  That is the reaction/acknowledgement that I expected from this show. 

Good point about Mario/Anthony's relationship probably "souring" as a result of MeToo.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, abc123 said:

I guess I am one of the confused ones because I thought Monday was live, a

None of them are live. Monday is only rarely taped on Monday (usually when it’s after a huge preplanned event like the Super Bowl or the Oscars) and Friday is never taped on Friday. Because it’s a food show and it’s sort of easy to fudge the opening segment.

1 hour ago, abc123 said:

Good point about Mario/Anthony's relationship probably "souring" as a result of MeToo.

Not that I am feeling sorry for Mario or care how he is feeling  but that broken friendship based on his actions  could lead this to hit Mario hard. 

• Love 2

I know Michael's likely in the best shape (financially), to get past this cancellation, but I'm still worried about him.

All three of them had a hard year, between adapting to Daphne leaving, then the Mario revelations and (rightful) termination (I won't hold any of them -- not even Michael -- responsible), unless he witnessed shit and didn't do anything about it) and now the cancellation.

But when Michael was talking about Anthony Bourdain and choked up, it just made me worry. He's the one who was friends with Batali, and he's known Bourdain the longest of the remaining three. I don't know. Just a lot of hard changes for him in six-to-nine months. I hope he's okay. I hope they all are.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, General Days said:

know Michael's likely in the best shape (financially), to get past this cancellation, but I'm still worried about him.

Oh I don’t think that’s true at all. Michael had failed restaurants in NY, has mentioned about his FN show that isn’t iron chef was cancelled, and talked repeatedly  about how they had to downsize from their large NY place to a tiny Ny apartment

Clinton seems most financially stable  he and his husband have owned their NY apartment and house in CT long before Clinton was on The Chew and both err gorgeous.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1