Type keyword(s) to search

The Chew - General Discussion

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Obviously, this week has been prerecorded so far but I want Mario to come back soon! 

Etb: I just saw on IG that they are filming in Orlando right now for next week's episode so all of this week will be pretaped. At least Mario is there so he will be on next week.

• Love 2

Definitely is a different vibe with 3 hosts (+Mario) and I think theyre getting used to each talking more and basically all being in each segment. But I'm liking some of the newish segment ideas like Chew lab and Carla helping to fix people's baking fails. 

I do think an additional female would would be great. There's got to be a foodie woman that hasn't sold her soul to FN yet. 

• Love 1

I will be glad when their Disney commercials episodes are over. The relentless Disney promotion is dull and I don't feel the team is as good when they are forced to be out of their element and schilling for Disney.

• Love 1

I actually love Disney -- I mean I LOVE it.  I write articles about Disney-related things.  I love Disney parks and many Disney products.  I used to adore those old shows on the Travel Channel about assorted Disney parks and Cruises.

And I am a fan of The Chew.    I can see how it makes sense to send The Chew to Epcot during the Food & Wine Festival, as it is a big foodie event and attracts a lot of well-known names in the food business.

However... for some reason, and I can't explain why, there is always something missing for me when The Chew goes to Epcot, or when any ABC talk show heads to any Disney park.   Somehow it falls a bit flat for me, when I should love it.    I think it's probably because it is all so pre-planned (all of the segments with the hosts getting involved in different things around the parks), and we can't see what the hosts would naturally be doing while at Walt Disney World.   I would like to see what Carla, Mario, Clinton and Michael choose to do when they are not doing ABC's bidding -- where they eat, what rides they ride, which hotel they stay in, if they hang out together or separately, etc.   I fully believe that Clinton was riding Toy Story Mania over and over to improve his score, but I would have liked to see that.  I don't think they showed any segments with him on the ride? 

Speaking of showing the hosts doing specific things... I think it was maybe 3 years ago, at this time of year, when The Chew showed a clip of Clinton and Carla going through some sort of haunted house/house of horrors attraction.   Ever since that one segment in that one year, they have never shown them doing it again.  Now I don't know about you, but I am a sucker for any segment featuring people from TV shows going through haunted/horror attractions.  Even though it has been done for years, I cannot get enough of Ellen DeGeneres sending her staff through these haunted houses every Halloween season.  It is my favorite thing on her show.  It never gets old for me.

So, to that end, I would love to see a new segment with Clinton and Carla doing something Halloween-specific again.

On another note, I also love that the guys tease Carla every year about the fact that she gives out Halloween pencils to trick-or-treaters instead of candy.  Her heart is in the right place, and it's a good idea to encourage kids to write, but their teasing of her is the gift that keeps on giving (and she is a great sport about it).

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

, to that end, I would love to see a new segment with Clinton and Carla doing something Halloween-specific again.

Earlier this week they said they went to one together, it wouldn't surprise me if they have a segment on their Halloween show,

• Love 2

Did anyone find today’s show...off?  I love our hosts, love Martina, Ree I used to enjoy her blog years ago and sometimes catch her show.  Everything just seemed flat today.  First time I wondered if it’s the beginning of the end.  Which is too bad if so.  The world kind of sucks right now in so many ways, I have really enjoyed this show as a break from reality and I have learned so much watching them.  

• Love 1

I thought the Martina segment was weird: baking a sweet potato Thanksgiving-ish dish in front of a Halloween backdrop while discussing her Christmas tour. But I did download that recipe. I have a cake mix and a sweet potato that need attended to.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

@TVFan17 I hope you caught the show today they had Carla and Clinton at a Haunted House.

I really don't see the need for a week and a half of Halloween themed shows.

I recorded it and am going to watch it later!  I'm so glad they finally showed it instead of just alluding to it, as Clinton was doing.

Did Anna Faris seem off today -- almost as if she'd had a couple of pops or were medicated? I haven't seen many interviews with her, so I don't have much to go on. I felt like during the first two segments, especially, she was out of it. She seemed a little better in the segment during which Clinton served her the soup. A few times, she also appeared to be holding herself up on the counter. 

6 hours ago, General Days said:

Did Anna Faris seem off today -- almost as if she'd had a couple of pops or were medicated? I haven't seen many interviews with her, so I don't have much to go on. I felt like during the first two segments, especially, she was out of it. She seemed a little better in the segment during which Clinton served her the soup. A few times, she also appeared to be holding herself up on the counter. 

45 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

She seemed stoned out of her gourd.

I didn't know much about her (still don't, heh) and I thought the interview/segment was somehow both awkward and boring.  Glad it wasn't just me.

So I see they have Jackie on today (behind the scenes cooking stylist).  Young, personable, fun. I’m watching now and she is talking about doing cooking competitions.  Obviously has some talent.  I wonder if there is a chance they will ask her to become a cohost?  She doesn’t have the cache that the rest have of course, but Daphne didn’t either.  I think some youth and another woman would be a nice add and I could get on board with her.

• Love 1

Yeah it was only the show early this week and they even mentioned she would be back today, probably because they probably filmed them the same day

They filmed the Halloween show and Mario has a few of his costumes on his Instastory.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, morgan said:

I believe so.  She has been on a few times this season now.  

3 hours ago, morgan said:

So I see they have Jackie on today (behind the scenes cooking stylist).  Young, personable, fun. I’m watching now and she is talking about doing cooking competitions.  Obviously has some talent.  I wonder if there is a chance they will ask her to become a cohost?  She doesn’t have the cache that the rest have of course, but Daphne didn’t either.  I think some youth and another woman would be a nice add and I could get on board with her.

I was beginning to think they were grooming her for more air time. She seems to have a lot of cooking chops. She’s a natural on television, too, which helps. 

• Love 2

I don't find five hosts necessary but I'd be happy to see her on those occasions when they're down to a couple of hosts.

I made that sweet potato dump cake over the weekend. Although it was really easy to make, it was time consuming since you're making cake batter, cream cheese filling and a streusel. I had a sink full of dishes by the time I was done. It tasted pretty good but I suspect it will go soggy in a hurry so I'll have to see how it freezes.

• Love 1

The Halloween episode today was kind of a mess but I always enjoy watching them crack each other up.  It did reinforce that there is one skill set for hosting the show and another one altogether for acting and the latter is not prominent in any of them. Still fun, though.

• Love 1

I don't care which show is doing it, these multiple costume changes shows are exhausting, especially if it feels like a producer-driven mandate. 

But I don't think this show feels off at all.  There is a different chemistry when it's three versus four of them which is interesting, but engaged.

I can see that in Mario some days but I don't really see it in Clinton.  I do get the sense that the days with just Clinton, Carla and Michael seem to flow better than those including Mario.  It could be Mario kind of being over it or it could just be that the three just develop a better chemistry when it's just them.

I don't know if I'd top it with candy bars but that butterscotch/peanut butter thing looked yummy.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

don't know if I'd top it with candy bars but that butterscotch/peanut butter thing looked yummy.

Yeah I think I would top it with chopped peanuts. It would be too sweet for me with the candy bars.

I guess Mario might be one week on one week off as suggested because this was clearly filmed today and he was in NYC today.

Those puff pastry brie bites seemed so fussy, never in a million years would I make those. 

I might try the stuffed peppers though I like cheese in my stuffed peppers.

Brad I live on San Francisco, we're real people too so go fuck yourself.

8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Brad I live on San Francisco, we're real people too so go fuck yourself.

I've deleted the episode but I took that as a bit tongue in cheek.  First, I thought he was referring to country singers as opposed to other entertainers but he also threw in the "put on the act of being real people."

8 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

First, I thought he was referring to country singers as oppose

No, first he stated he lives in Nashville because the people there are "real" and Carla agreed. I am absolutely sick of the constant refrain that the people in the mid-west or south are somehow more "real" or more "American" than us out of touch coastal elites and I am extremely sick of it. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

No, first he stated he lives in Nashville because the people there are "real" and Carla agreed. I am absolutely sick of the constant refrain that the people in the mid-west or south are somehow more "real" or more "American" than us out of touch coastal elites and I am extremely sick of it. 

Oh you can throw in how people who live in the cities (midwest city here) aren't "real" either.  I'm sick of it too.

But, he did say "put on the act" as well.  And he was grumpy/sarcastic throughout the whole interview. 

3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I was raised and live in the south. In my case though I feel like people are more real elsewhere. The reasoning behind that is a topic that's not allowed to be discussed here. 

I saw some of today's show and honestly wouldn't blame them if they went to just having three hosts instead of four. It would be awkward when one needed time off though I guess. That game they played at the end was so stupid because neither Carrie nor Brad were very into it so the answers were off the wall. Can't say I blame them since games on talk shows do get annoying.

Edited by Jaded
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:16 AM, Jaded said:

That game they played at the end was so stupid because neither Carrie nor Brad were very into it so the answers were off the wall. Can't say I blame them since games on talk shows do get annoying

And Carla was a little over the top during the game.

cant get the quote boxes off.

Charging people 30$ a plate for a home thanksgiving dinner? What if people dont have enough money for everyone in the family to come? I'm on the fence on this. It seems less tacky to just ask people to bring a dish. Thirty per person seems kind of steep for a home plate.

I just watched Tuesday's episode and I LOVED the segment with the food historian.  I collect old cookbooks and books on food history, and my favorite part of any historic site is generally the kitchen, so that segment was really fascinating to me.  I only wish it had been earlier in the show so it didn't have to be so rushed.

As a (non-native) Virginian and the mother of two of them, I might have to try TJ's (or I guess that should be James Hemmings') Mac & Cheese for Thanksgiving.

• Love 1

I like Carla but I do agree she has a tendency to go manic and babble, sometimes to the detriment of the guest. When she gets like that while she is cooking, she does not effectively convey the information about what she is making. She needs to breathe occasionally.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I like Carla but I do agree she has a tendency to go manic and babble, sometimes to the detriment of the guest

I was watching briefly with the sound off and Wendy Williams was the guest. I'm not sure Wendy said more than 5 words during the cooking segment. Carla was babbling and gesturing wildly. Wendy seemed almost afraid of her and once even moved closer to Michael.  Carla had an "Erica Badu" type  hat on and she kept swinging her head around and almost poked Clinton's eye out.

I kept noticing the look in Wendy's eyes,, fear, plain old fear.

I think they were trying to make pecan pie with tofu....eeww.

Edited by MsJamieDornan
1 hour ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Carla was babbling and gesturing wildly. Wendy seemed almost afraid of her and once even moved closer to Michael. 

Gotta agree with what you say about the Carla goofiness...also, why does she end nearly every statement with, "riiiiiiiight?" As if she doesn't believe what she just stated. I wonder if Wendy isn't well -- she fainted on her show recently and didn't seem on point here.

• Love 1