Type keyword(s) to search

The Chew - General Discussion

Lola16
  • Start Topic

One thing I just realized I really like about this show is that it's not all white straight men all the time. Nothing wrong with white straight men, but they were such the dominant voice in tv and cooking for so long... and really still are.  This week's guests so far have all been non-white. It really keeps the show interesting and I continue to learn every time because it's not the same kinds of people doing the same kinds of recipes. And the two white straight male hosts? Well, Mario traveled the world as a kid and Symon is a child (grandchild?) of immigrants so their acceptance and embracing of other people really comes through.  I don't feel like the show practices tokenism or exploits people for exoticism. It just is one of the only shows where I think inclusion and diversity really happens consistently and is done well.

• Love 6

I wonder if no one gave them a clue that Craig is a recovering alcoholic. He looked surprised when the beer was pulled out, yes the alcohol cooks out but a lot of people don't like to eat it anyway because of the taste.

I thought the exact same thing and it doesn't cook all the way out. How much alcohol that is retained depends on how long something is cooked and how it is cooked. In fact, I knew a recovering alcoholic who wouldn't even eat cookies with vanilla in them.

• Love 1

I thought the exact same thing and it doesn't cook all the way out. How much alcohol that is retained depends on how long something is cooked and how it is cooked.

Thank you. That's what I always heard and was surprised when (I believe this is how it happened) Mario agreed with Craig's statement that it cooks out. If that is indeed the way it played out it was kind of irresponsible on Mario's part to not throw a quick explanation in there. I know they need to move the show along but that's a pretty important detail to leave out.

It just is one of the only shows where I think inclusion and diversity really happens consistently and is done well.

I'd actually like the show to be more diverse in terms of actual recipes. I'd love to learn about different cuisines aside from the ones most popular in the US. An occasional recipe that isn't typical American/Southern, Italian, Greek, or Mexican would be welcomed. 

• Love 2

I'd actually like the show to be more diverse in terms of actual recipes. I'd love to learn about different cuisines aside from the ones most popular in the US. An occasional recipe that isn't typical American/Southern, Italian, Greek, or Mexican would be welcomed. 

The fan guest Monday was from Haiti. When Retta was on, she talked about Liberian food with Carla. I loved those bits. There are others and maybe there should be even more, but it's nice that it's as varied as it is.

• Love 2

Another segment cooking with alcohol with someone in recovery! It seems so weird when it could easily be avoided.

Agreed. If I were Craig in that situation I wouldn't risk it. Yikes.

• Love 2

Agreed. If I were Craig in that situation I wouldn't risk it. Yikes.

Yes, that was so strange.I watched that episode with my sister and I was like omg! they just used a beer. My sister didn't know Craig Ferguson was a recovering alcoholic. When I told her, she said they must not know. I was like, yeah, but they should. I was a little put off by that. CF was a good sport but I wouldn't of risked it. They new he was vegan but not an alcoholic? He has talk about it, a lot.

Does anyone know if Carla's restaurant ever opened?

Edited by imjagain

I think it's been delayed. The last posting to the Facebook page for the restaurant was last month and she made some very brief remark on The Chew that seemed to indicate frustration that it was taking forever. It was supposed to open last month.

• Love 2

I think it's been delayed. The last posting to the Facebook page for the restaurant was last month and she made some very brief remark on The Chew that seemed to indicate frustration that it was taking forever. It was supposed to open last month.

Thank you. I looked online, and couldn't find anything about it opening. I wonder what the problem is? Micheal is opening another restaurant and it seems Carla has been working on her place way longer. I'm sure openings your first is pretty hard, hope she's not in over her head.

I watched Fridays episode when Michael was dressed as the bunny, the audience members were naming their favorite chew hosts. It seemed everyone said Micheal, Clinton or Carla. I never heard Mario or Daphne :( I like Mario and Daphne but MS ,CK and CH are my faves. Actually, Mario has grown on me.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 1

I noticed that too!  One person mentioned Mario as a second or third choice but Daphne's is nobody's favorite.

I'd say I love them all equally but that would be a lie.  It's all about Carla and Clinton.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

1,000th show tomorrow, and they won an Emmy! You go Chew!!

That painting was the stuff nightmares are made of.

The show did get me hungry for bolognese sauce and cupcakes, though!

• Love 3

The subject of the 1,000th episode painting from hell came up today. Carla had a lovely painting made for her mother for Mother's Day, prompting Clinton to say, "How about that painting that was made for us yesterday?" Silence all around, with Daphne visibly wincing.

• Love 3

Were last week's EPCOT shows from last season, when Daphne didn't go--presumably because she was so close to having her son--or were they from this year's trip to the EPCOT Wine & Food Festival (I've forgotten when that's supposed to be)?

I got confused watching what I saw of them, since Daphne wasn't there (& I knew she wasn't last year probably because of her pregnancy being so advanced at taping time); I figured she'd be there this year, since she missed last year & since this year (even if it's on her "dime") I thought she might bring at least Philo along since she might be around the age to start liking the Disney characters (probably the Princesses) & "getting" the whole theme park "thing".

It was from last year, The Chew is on hiatus until September. The 2016 Epcot Food and Wine Festival starts September 14 but runs through November so I am not sure if they are there the first week or not. 

Etb it appears they will be there From Oct. 5 to the 7th.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I'm watching the ep with Gloria Estefan as a guest host and Meatloaf as a guest.  Meatloaf doesn't look good.  I know he collapsed on stage in July, but still was surprised.  He sat the whole time, we didn't even see him walk about, and he seemed slow to talk and get his thoughts together.  Is he still touring?  Was he just tired?  I know he also has back problems.  But last time I saw him interviewed he seemed sharper.

I thought the same thing about Meatloaf.  As aquarian1 noted, he just sat there watching, there seemed to be a lag from the time someone asked him a question and when he responded.  Almost like he was recovering from a stroke.  Hope that he "recovers" from whatever he has.  He doesn't look well.

I don't care much for Mario - I've watched/followed him a long time- from the time when he had his own cooking show.  He seems to be very arrogant.  I wanted to slap him on his and Michael's bday party this week.  He started asking Daphne if she knew the origin of a Neapolitan cake - she did and answered the question correctly - Mario looked pissed that she knew this and then went on to be snotty throughout the rest of the segments.  Maybe he doesn't like his birthday -if so, he should take the day off.  Arrogant man, I would be happy if he and his orange crocks took the long road back to Italy, seems like that's the only place (outside of his summer Michigan "retreat") where he's happy.   As others have noted, I don't have much use for Daphne either - she comes across as very rigid, think she should get pregnant again and take the whole 9 months off.  She's not a chef, (but she is Dr. Oz's daughter) so I guess that qualifies her to be a member of the "Food Police".

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Does anyone know what's going on with Daphne?  Did she cut down her schedule?  This is the second week in a row where there have been episodes where she's not around. 

She is on a small book tour for her book that came out last week and taping several episodes of Cooks vs. Cons.

I saw stories about how the hosts of ABC's Good Morning, America and The View dressed up for Halloween all over the place yesterday and nothing about The Chew's Halloween show.  That's a shame because they all looked great in their costumes, presented some terrific segments and had on valued guest Kellie Pickler who was charming as always.

• Love 1

I agree they looked good as always but my quibble is going to show my age. Michael and Mario were dressed as characters from classic TV, which was ostensibly the theme. The other three were not from classic shows. Married with Children, Family Matters, and whatever it was Clinton was dressed as? When I think of classic TV, I think of the 50s through the 70s. So M*A*S*H, Mary Tyler Moore, I Love Lucy, etc. I will say that Carla was convincing enough that I found her so obnoxious in character I had to fast forward through her scenes. So, good?

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 9:53 AM, Watermelon said:

It seems like every time I watch the show there's someone missing.  And it just cements the fact that, for me?, I'd be happy with just Michael, Clinton, and Carla.

I wish Clinton will go away. He has hijacked the show. If you've been paying attention, since he announced he will no longer eating beef, pork, lamb, veal, bison, etc. about 6 weeks ago, they have used those meats maybe a total of 5 times in all those shows. Michael had to use chicken chorizo, Mario made vegetarian lasagna, today guest Rachael Ray made vegetarian soup. I'm tired of watching them cook chicken all the time. I used to get some great recipes and ideas from this show. Not anymore. The Chew has jumped the shark. Watch their ratings slide.

• Love 3

Based on the fact that Mario and Michael were at Game 7 I have to imagine Thursday and probably Friday are pretaped, Monday is always pretaped so we won't get to hear Symon's heartbreak until Tuesday. 

• Love 1

I don't know who it was, but they had a woman on in the beginning of today's show - pie segment. That woman ate and talked with her mouth open the entire time. Super gross. Someone should remind these people before they go on air, but I guess it is a problem based on the title of this thread.

Also, I am not a fan of seeing Clinton's chest hair. Button up, dude. Gross on a food show. Just leave one button undone, not two. Save that for later.

Edited by seasons

Anyone still watching this? I find it on occasionally when I go into the lunchroom at work. Everyone seems to be on auto pilot, just trying to get through the taping and onto whatever they do elsewhere. I'm glad Carla found life after Top Chef, but I don't need to watch her. I preferred the character Clinton played on that fashion show. I know Mike Symon can cook and I hope one day to eat in one of his restaurants; he doesn't need to stop by the table. Mario, I adore you, STFU. I'm leaving out Dr. Oz's daughter becauzzzzz

I still watch.  It's my comfort watch when I get home from work but truth be told, I always watch the intro segment then frequently fast forward through much of the rest.  It's hard to keep things fresh after a few years.

• Love 2

I also still watch,  comfort show is a good description.  I usually have it on while I'm in the kitchen and doing things.  I still enjoy it. I don't post much, because I don't have to many complaints.  It's just an easy show to watch. 

I will say that, I still love it when it's just the hosts.  I don't need celebrity guests or "regular"  people guests. 

• Love 6

I still watch daily, usually in the afternoon after lunch and my son finishes any homework.  He even tells me "mom, you can watch The Chew now,"  when he starts to play on his own.  It's sort of my down time in the afternoon, before I need to start prepping for dinner and all that.  I like the dynamic between the hosts and I usually find something that I want to try or at least gives me ideas for food even if I don't follow their exact recipes.  

• Love 4

Comfort food viewing is what I'd call it too.  I like the dynamic between the hosts and I probably only make one recipe every few months--others sound interesting but are just too involved--but I do find different flavor combinations neat to think about even if I don't think I'd like them.  For instance, that alternative way to make deviled eggs was fascinating to me today and I wonder how it'd work and whether it's easier than the old fashioned way.

I also like the interviews since the celebs are actually doing something rather than telling their same stories.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

alternative way to make deviled eggs was fascinating to me today and I wonder how it'd work and whether it's easier than the old fashioned way.

I think it's probably only easier if you are making a ton of deviled eggs but it was imteresting, I might try it for my Super Bowl party even though I want planning on making a huge amount of deviled eggs just to see how it works.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I think it's probably only easier if you are making a ton of deviled eggs but it was imteresting, I might try it for my Super Bowl party even though I want planning on making a huge amount of deviled eggs just to see how it works.

If you do, I'd be curious to see what you think of them.  Both making and taste.

• Love 2

I'm in Northern California and the local news on ABC has a nasty habit of pre-empting the first few minutes of the show so the weather reporters can tell us it's raining. Yes, we have windows, now get back to my show!

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I'm in Northern California and the local news on ABC has a nasty habit of pre-empting the first few minutes of the show so the weather reporters can tell us it's raining. Yes, we have windows, now get back to my show!

Me too! It is so ridiculous. I mean in cases like the Oroville Dam I understand but it will often just be a weather report and what number on their stupid storm warning scale!

Curious about Daphne, wonder if it's her husbands family because I think hers is all on the East Coast.

• Love 3