Type keyword(s) to search

The Chew - General Discussion

Lola16
  • Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

But the three have been carrying the show for about half the year.  There were weeks when both Mario and Daphne were out.  Then Daphne left and Mario only appeared every other week. Yes, they're probably in trouble if one of the three isn't there and they're down to two but I doubt ABC is in a panic thinking they're need to replace Mario ASAP. 

I wonder what the ratings have been like this season, I frequently dont watch the episodes where it's just the three of them unless I like the guest where I used to watch most eps.

21 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And my DVR said Bobby Flay was scheduled to appear...but he didn't. 

I did think they looked sad, Michael especially, during the announcement. 

I keep waiting for something to come out about Bobby Flay. 

• Love 5

I wonder instead of bringing in a permanent host they would bring in guest hosts for maybe a week at a time or so. You could still have the three of them most of the time but have guest hosts as maybe a tryout or just a break if one of three needed time off .Kind of what they did with Kelly when Michael left where there was really only a few real contenders for a replacement but some host were just for fun and were never going to be permanent.  

• Love 1

I was quite relieved Mario wasn't on the show today. During host chat, they discussed a Christmas ornament tradition (I'd never heard of) called, "Hide the pickle." My mind still went there, but at least I didn't have to look at him or listen to him snicker.

I really liked Batali on The Chew, and was saddened to learn of the allegations, so my reaction to today's episode only further solidified my opinion that this open-ended leave will turn into a permanent one (and should). 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

The cookie crumbs they had didn't have any white, it was all dark brown.

When you crush Oreos finely in a food processor, that's pretty much the color they end up being.  Because the internet will offer everything, there are pictures of Oreos in different states of crushedness. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

When you crush Oreos finely in a food processor, that's pretty much the color they end up being.  Because the internet will offer everything, there are pictures of Oreos in different states of crushedness. 

Weird I do it all the time for a few different desserts I make frequently and mine still have a tinge even when i completely pulveruze them and looked different than the cookies they were using. 

• Love 1

Seems to me Carla's recipes are often vague.....even this one posted on their website. Looked good though. Perhaps Oreos with out the white, or chocolate cookies......and the peppermint is in the ice cream and the topping......

8 minutes ago, gatopretoNYC said:

And when she snuck in a sip of the prosecco. :D

I am so sick of them grabbing alcohol or coffee from her or making a huge deal about her drinking it. She is a grown woman and if she wants to do it shut the help up, it comes across as so ridiculously patronizing. If she acts a fool after, mock away but dont tell her what she can or can't do.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Qoass said:

I don't mind because they say the same thing about the boys and too much sugar. Clinton's a hoot on a sugar high.

For me it's different because they have never told Clinton to not eat something with sugar or take away it away from him, for Carla they frequently physically remove the offending beverage from her hand and that is what I find annoying.

1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

For me it's different because they have never told Clinton to not eat something with sugar in it they mock his behavior but for Carla they frequently physically remove the offending bevetage from her hand.

Why do they do that?

On 12/15/2017 at 5:07 PM, biakbiak said:

Everytime Clinton raves about that cheeseball, I look up the recipe and it doesn't sound good to me even though I like most of the ingredients.

I made it for a party and everybody hated it

20 minutes ago, BeachyWave said:

I made it for a party and everybody hated it

Good, I mean not good for you and the people who had to eat it but now I won't be tempted to make it. The more I think about it I don't think I have really liked any recipe from this show. It's also kind of weird because I cook all the time and watch the show almost everday but I have only tried a handful of recipes. Frequently the show will inspire me to make a dish but I tend to find an alternative recipe because I don't like their website.

Why on earth did they do that tree hairstyle on Carla on the first show of a multiple tape day? I mean it wasn't that amazing that we needed to see it twice with different ornaments.

On 12/5/2017 at 11:29 AM, TVFan17 said:

I laughed out loud when Michael made the comment about the meatballs!!  (Carla laughed too.)   It was funny.  Michael is funny.   Michael and Clinton are funny together.   And if Clinton was truly bothered, he will let Michael know, or he will get him back with his own comments on the show.   But they tease each other.  That's the nature of their relationship.    I would never have laughed if I thought that Michael had actually hurt Clinton or offended him, or dished out something that he couldn't take.

I'm not saying that Michael's words wouldn't have the potential to ever hurt Clinton or embarrass him in life -- especially if he just blurts things out -- but, in that specific meatball situation, I think they had probably discussed something during a commercial break, or a comment had been made about the meatballs being dry before they came in to the next segment.  In other words, I don't think Clinton was shocked that Michael thought the meatballs were dry.  He probably already knew that.  He was probably surprised or embarrassed that Michael said it out loud on the show, in front of the viewers, because it shows that someone, somewhere, didn't take precautions to be sure the meatballs were good before anyone tasted them.

I didn't think that anyone looked all that thrilled when they tasted those meatballs, to be honest, no matter what was said on the show.    The actual finished meatballs (which may have been sitting there a few minutes too long) that Michael and everyone sampled  were probably not made by Clinton himself.  They were probably made by the people in the kitchen in the back, following the recipe that Clinton was using to do the segment on the show.   They could have messed something up and made them too dry, and maybe Clinton didn't want to say anything on the air about it, but Michael did and it surprised Clinton.

Also, there are probably plenty of times when those dishes that everyone samples are not good.  There are probably lots of times when one of them doesn't like something that someone else has made.  Sometimes you can tell, just by the facial expressions, and by who suddenly gets quiet and has nothing to say.  But there are probably other times when they pretend they like something they don't like, and they essentially lie and say they like it while on camera.   Off-camera, what they say to each other might be a whole different story.

Now if Michael had made that comment about the meatballs as a guest in Clinton's home, then yes... it would have been totally out of line.  On the show, though, when Clinton  was probably not even responsible for the finished product they tasted, I think it was all in good fun, and I think that they had already had some  off-camera exchange about the meatballs being dry. 

After 6 years and 7 seasons into working together and socializing together (Clinton, Michael and their spouses were vacationing in France last year around Christmas) -- and Clinton and Michael are two, along with Carla, who are more consistently on the show, with not quite as many days off as Mario, so they have spent more time together -- I think they each know which buttons they can push, and what they can say and get away with.

I didn't see the episode, but I probably would've laughed too... & then my brain might've/would've done a backtrack & gone "Michael didn't actually use that adjective to describe Clinton's food, did he?"

I don't know. My brain just went to "Maybe 'dry ass(ed)' isn't necessarily an adjective you wanna throw around about meatballs made by an openly gay man, who's a friend of yours (or at least supposed to be), on national TV?" 

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive about this, or something, but that's what I think people are reacting to, the awkward choice of words Michael used in describing an openly gay man's meatballs as "dry ass(ed)" on national TV.

If they worked that out between themselves beforehand, & Clinton knew it was coming, cool. I just felt like maybe it just came out of Michael's mouth without his realizing what he was saying, & whom he was saying it in connection with, & that's why it got the reaction. People are/were uncomfortable about it I'm sure, for both Michael & Clinton; but maybe more for Clinton since the comments were directed at him/his dish. The Michael-Clinton thing was--to me--sort of like when somebody says, like, "Did you see that?" to a blind person. And then they remember they're blind, as soon as the question leaves their mouth. You know?

Also... I noticed, either after the disclaimer video about Mario's situation or after the video about "meatballgate", they went to a The Chew graphic at the end which still included Mario in it. I guess they missed something when they were erasing all traces of Mario from things to do with the show.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment. And remove an extraneous letter.
15 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I didn't see the episode, but I probably would've laughed too... & then my brain might've/would've done a backtrack & gone "Michael didn't actually use that adjective to describe Clinton's food, did he?"

I don't know. My brain just went to "Maybe 'dry ass(ed)' isn't necessarily an adjective you wanna throw around about meatballs made by an openly gay man, who's a friend of yours (or at least supposed to be), on national TV?" 

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive about this, or something, but that's what I think people are reacting to, the awkward choice of words Michael used in zdescribing an openly gay man's meatballs as "dry ass(ed)" on national TV.

If they worked that out between themselves beforehand, & Clinton knew it was coming, cool. I just felt like maybe it just came out of Michael's mouth without his realizing what he was saying, & whom he was saying it in connection with, & that's why it got the reaction. People are/were uncomfortable about it I'm sure, for both Michael & Clinton; but maybe more for Clinton since the comments were directed at him/his dish. The Michael-Clinton thing was--to me--sort of like when somebody says, like, "Did you see that?" to a blind person. And then they remember they're blind, as soon as the question leaves their mouth. You know?

Also... I noticed, either after the disclaimer video about Mario's situation or after the video about "meatballgate", they went to a The Chew graphic at the end which still included Mario in it. I guess they missed something when they were erasing all traces of Mario from things to do with the show.

Michael apologized to Clinton on air the next day. Michael said when he watched the show he realized how hurtful his comment was. Apparently the problem was the behind the scene kitchen, but none of the talent wanted to throw them under the bus.

9 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Michael apologized to Clinton on air the next day. Michael said when he watched the show he realized how hurtful his comment was. Apparently the problem was the behind the scene kitchen, but none of the talent wanted to throw them under the bus.

I think Michael mentioned the apology on the linked clip from upthread. They probably didn't wanna throw the prep kitchen under the bus for fear that all their dishes would start turning out like that afterwards, in retaliation. I could see that, maybe.

7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The more I think about it I don't think I have really liked any recipe from this show. It's also kind of weird because I cook all the time and watch the show almost everday but I have only tried a handful of recipes.

The number of recipes I've tried as opposed to how many I've seen on TV---oy.  I don't want to think of how much time I watch even though I love these cooking shows. 

That said, Stacey London's chicken sausage broccoli soup is on heavy rotation in my house.  I make it a few times a year--but then I get sick of it because I end up eating it every single day. I shake it up by pureeing more than just broccoli. I also throw in a touch of real pork and use chickpeas but I find it yummy.  I also made Clinton Kelly's sweet potato burgers.  They were amazing but so tough to make so I've only done them once.  I also enjoyed a squash macaroni and cheese. Daphne made a version of this as well but it didn't look as appealing to me as Clinton's.  My only regret is that I didn't keep the sauce separate from the pasta.  I put it all together but it didn't come together as well as leftovers.  I would make the sauce and then add it to the pasta as I plan to eat it. 

So the three I did make were winners but only one was easy enough for me to make quite a bit.  I feel like I should try more but I don't have a big enough freezer for leftovers. 

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I doubt that's it or even close to where their minds were.  _____ass is a pretty common expression.  I just think it's rare for them to openly hate something cooked on the show that people were taken aback.

• Love 3

I don't think any of them took it very seriously. My mind didn't even go there but for me, it would have been like a woman calling her best friend a bitch in jest.

I make Daphne's Warrior Salad and like the lemon blueberry tart with coconut. Can't remember whom they credited it to.,

Yesterday's show was a mess and they knew it. I can't help but suspect they've had to rejigger some content on the fly to make up for Mario's absence.

1 hour ago, Qoass said:

Yesterday's show was a mess and they knew it. I can't help but suspect they've had to rejigger some content on the fly to make up for Mario's absence.

He wasn't supposed to film last week.

I didn't catch yesterday's show (wasn't in the mood). But last week (maybe Thursday and Friday) really got on my nerves. It felt like an overabundance of craft segments and the like, and even some of Carla's cooking felt stretched out.

It annoyed me (possibly unfairly) because they have Michael Symon standing right there. He's an iron chef and one of his schticks (5 in 5, under $5) on this very show involves cooking on the fly with what you have handy. I felt like they should have used Michael more, if they were working around segments originally planned for Batali. Symon's family probably has its own version of most recipes Batali would demonstrate on The Chew. 

This show has been a good escape for me, for a long time. I'd hate to see it go under because they can't pull it together with Mario gone.

I keep comparing them (in my head) to professional athletes. Something unexpected happened in a game, and now they're a little psyched out. They maybe need to change where their heads are at -- like pretend Mario had a family emergency or appendicitis or something, and progress as they would in another kind of unplanned absence. 

BTW, I don't think for a moment that Michael's use of "dry-ass" had any sort of sexual connotation, either for him, or for most of the audience. 

10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The number of recipes I've tried as opposed to how many I've seen on TV---oy.  I don't want to think of how much time I watch even though I love these cooking shows. 

[...]

So the three I did make were winners but only one was easy enough for me to make quite a bit.  I feel like I should try more but I don't have a big enough freezer for leftovers. 

I doubt that's it or even close to where their minds were.  _____ass is a pretty common expression.  I just think it's rare for them to openly hate something cooked on the show that people were taken aback.

Right. Boring-ass, lame-ass, phony-ass, crazy-ass, stupid-ass, broke-ass, punk-ass, dumb-ass, scary-ass, etc. Even when people say, "tight-ass," they generally mean "cheap" as opposed to anything having to do with butt condition. 

As to The Chew recipes, I don't know if I've ever followed any of their savory recipes as a recipe, although I have looked at them to get an idea on proportions, but that's true for me with most cooking and cooking shows, unless I'm trying something way far out of my comfort zone. I have certainly incorporated what I've seen on the show into my cooking -- ideas, flavor profiles, techniques, etc. When I bake, I'm more faithful to a recipe, but baking is more science and precision.

Generally, once you have a certain level of technique and knowledge (i.e. "there's flavor in the brown," "the meat will tell you when it's ready to be turned," "resting meat is necessary to preserve juiciness," "start with a hot enough pan," "fried foods turn out greasy if the oil isn't hot enough," "don't overcook the garlic or it turns bitter,") savory cooking is more art than science, unless you're making something particularly technical. 

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Qoass said:

I daresay the recent crisis has brought them even closer.

Seems like it.

Although on the snarky side, Carla's "tip" today to portion out the center of store-bought pies with a cookie cutter was some Sanda Lee-level s%#t. It did need more booze to be totally SLop.

• Love 3

The Chew has always been my treadmill show but lately, I'm not enjoying it (the show) as much.  I think they need to bring on a weekly guest host/hostess.  They should simply address the situation and move forward.  It seems to me like the current three are just going through the steps waiting for something to happen.  I've always like the Chew because they kept the show light, now it seems strained.  

I agree.  I admire how well the 3 are doing, but I really miss Mario and Daphne.  I realize I like several voices on this show.  The chew has always been must see viewing for me, always a bright spot in the midst of often troubling times.  I’m so sad because it not only feels like it is coming to an end, but it feels like a shadow of its former self.  

• Love 2

I don't miss Mario and Daphne specifically, but I do miss the dynamic of more hosts.  Maybe they are working  on it "in the background" - who knows what discussions they've had and with whom.  I just don't want to be in the situation like the first couple of years where we had endless rotations of non-food-celebrity guest hosts.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ari333 said:

I miss Mario. There. I said it.

I wish he had not done those things. 

This. Italian food is my favourite cuisine, and I really miss his recipes and his input. Plus I've actually eaten at some of his restaurants and found them to have some of the best food I have ever eaten.

I do not miss Daphne; I couldn't stand her.

• Love 1

I wouldn't mind them adding a host but I actually have loved their dynamic since the new year.  I think the show feels lighter and even freer. Unlike others here, I'm enjoying it more. (And I liked Mario and even Daphne most of the time.)

• Love 3