Type keyword(s) to search

The All You Can Eat Buffet: My 600 Pound Life All Episode Discussion

• Start Topic

On 3/6/2020 at 5:12 PM, DuckyinKy said:

I'm a new to this snow, I can't believe how things have changed. In 1987, when I was 26, I had a gastric bypass which I know how mine was done is antiquated. I was 400+ lbs, at 5'11". I didn't have to lose weight. They scheduled mine right away. Things are so different and 99% of the people who had theirs done has gained their weight and more. I haven't. I'm about 198. I do suffer from anemia, low B12, calcium, and vitamin D. My doctor was so kind. But I don't know what makes me different from the other patients. I do feel for some of these patients, because no one knows what it is like to be in our heads. I will say that to accommodate me, my family ate like I did. In any event thanks for having me and I look forward to much more with you guys! 

Congrats @DuckyinKy on your successful weight loss and, unlike a lot of our poundticipants, you obviously worked hard after getting that procedure to live a healthier, happier life. Sad to say but what differentiates you from many of the subjects of this show is your hard work as opposed to their assumption that that WLS is magic and no effort on their part is required.

Hope to see you on the Live Chat. We're a snarky bunch but really only with those poundtestants -- tee hee, I just made up a new pseudo word! -- who are full of shit and blow off the opportunity to change their lives. Being obnoxious, ungrateful and abusive to those trying to help them gets them an extra ass kickin' from us. 😁

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

I can usually spot the really delusional ones, when they show their childhood pictures, and the poundticipant says "I was a normal kid until (traumatic event) happened".   THen you see the pictures, like Ashley's, and they were huge as infants, and that was long before anything happened.     

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 4:35 PM, auntjess said:

I bet we've had at least glimpses of one on this show, although I usually turn the TV to "guide" during the surgery.

Yes, I usually duck out for the surgery scenes.  I'm also kind of afraid of a "something's wrong" moment, like with Vianey.

• Love 1

I just went back and watched the inaugural episode with Melissa Morris and I am floored by how much this show has changed. Melissa put her nose to the grindstone so to speak. She was proactive.  She had aids such as a poster on the refrigerator door on which she marked off every pound she lost.  There was no “I’m trying as hard as I can” while losing s single pound in a month or gaining. I know she’s had later struggles, but the whole show was so refreshingly free of drama. 

I literally could not believe a person could physically eat what these people eat at one time, let alone over the course of the day.  How can a person eat 6 takeout pizzas at once?  I went searching for evidence that it was staged or something.  But I guess not. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Sthrngypsy said:

I just went back and watched the inaugural episode with Melissa Morris and I am floored by how much this show has changed. Melissa put her nose to the grindstone so to speak. She was proactive.  She had aids such as a poster on the refrigerator door on which she marked off every pound she lost.  There was no “I’m trying as hard as I can” while losing s single pound in a month or gaining. I know she’s had later struggles, but the whole show was so refreshingly free of drama. 

I literally could not believe a person could physically eat what these people eat at one time, let alone over the course of the day.  How can a person eat 6 takeout pizzas at once?  I went searching for evidence that it was staged or something.  But I guess not. 

Yep @Sthrngypsy no staging, these folks can pound down so many calories so incredibly fast beyond all belief. I don't know about you, but I love to eat and these people actually kill my appetite because they make eating so visually disgusting. As much as they say they love food they eat so fast to the point that they don't even seem to actually taste what they're eating. I think it was the Juggalo poundticipant (Nicole?) who inhaled a large burger in three bites, seemingly without even chewing, while on the road to Houston; so appalling to watch.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Sthrngypsy said:

Yes. Melissa was amazing.

Some willpower (well, some high octane willpower) and a desire to improve yourself is how you reach your goal.

I fear this show has a negative effect on those who are morbidly obese. What about those individuals who may watch as they are thinking of getting bariatric surgery? This is not a show that focuses on the positives or successes.  Imagine your are teeter tottering in your decision to get surgery, you turn this show on, watch a few seasons and come to the conclusion that it is just TOO hard, TOO impossible, TOO unattainable? Sadly, I think this show can very easily have a negative impact on one who is considering bariatric surgery. 

I think TLC would have a better following by showing the patients who succeed and show what it takes to succeed. Enough of the exploitation of the obese population. It saddens me that this is what this show has become. From the required shower scenes to the participants literally stuffing mass quantities of food in their mouths. It is exploitative. I long for the early shows which I thoroughly enjoyed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, Miracle Maxie said:

If anyone is feeling like being a glutton... for punishment today, TLC is running Pauline at 2 pm Eastern followed by Penny at 3. 

Darn.  I really need to trim my toenails today.  Gonna have to make a hard choice and skip TLC this afternoon.

• LOL 3

Melissa’s original episode was inspiring.  Her first follow up (and probably the second too) was excellent.  By the last (fourth?) one I’d got very sick of her crying and whining though it really is a great reminder that this is a LIFE-LONG battle and NO it doesn’t ever get easy even if you once had spectacular weight loss success.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Miracle Maxie said:

TLC is running Pauline at 2 pm Eastern followed by Penny at 3. 

Oooo! Sounds like I'm gonna have to sit in bed while frying up some food in my electric skillet and re-watch these!

(edited)
3 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Oooo! Sounds like I'm gonna have to sit in bed while frying up some food in my electric skillet and re-watch these!

Wontons -- one can't live without wontons.  And they're so much tastier when prepared in the bed that is also one's bathroom, kitchen and dining table.  So is meatloaf.   

Hope Liam is doing okay, he seemed like such a nice little kid despite his parents.

Edited to say that I had completely forgotten that Pauline DID use an electric skillet in bed!  That sounds dangerous!  

Edited by Otter
Giant Misfit's memory is better than mine.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I am waiting for this episode.  My friends of snarking....this is a cakie.  I have one every night with a cup of tea.  Right now we have a package of yellow ones in the kitchen.  Before that it was pink.  With St. Patrick's Day coming up I'm sure that we will have a package of green ones (assuming the yellow ones are done).  I eat so darn healthy but I must enjoy cakie goodness once per day.  There is so much sugar in these things that if I eat more than one I will have to RUN to the gym, work out, and RUN home just to stop from bouncing off the walls.

Cakies rule.

Cakie.png

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, FormeryHeavyJ said:

I am waiting for this episode.  My friends of snarking....this is a cakie.  I have one every night with a cup of tea.  Right now we have a package of yellow ones in the kitchen.  Before that it was pink.  With St. Patrick's Day coming up I'm sure that we will have a package of green ones (assuming the yellow ones are done).  I eat so darn healthy but I must enjoy cakie goodness once per day.  There is so much sugar in these things that if I eat more than one I will have to RUN to the gym, work out, and RUN home just to stop from bouncing off the walls.

Cakies rule.

Cakie.png

I had to google cakies.  Still not sure if I understand what it is. Cake between cookies? That picture is scaring me.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, nokat said:

I had to google cakies.  Still not sure if I understand what it is. Cake between cookies? That picture is scaring me.

Cakie is a term I came up with to describe the thick, cake-like cookies you see in the supermarkets sold in the plastic clamshell of about 14.  They have dense, sugar-laden frosting & sprinkles on top.  You can usually find them in seasonal holiday colors but they are sold year-round.  My daughter hates that term so I make sure I use it as much as possible in front of her.  

Mmmmm….cakie goodness.....

• Useful 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, FormeryHeavyJ said:

My daughter hates that term so I make sure I use it as much as possible in front of her.

Good enough reason to use the term, and thanks for explaining.

• Love 2

Tomorrow, tomorrow, the snark day, tomorrow,  it's only a day away. The last two, we were bored and/or disgusted. I want some disgust followed by success, dammit.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

*RANT ON*  

Repeat of Tamy's WATN episode.  She was doing so well until her incredibly jerky and selfish "husband" came back into her life.  That poor woman with the lymphedemas and that stomach that hung down to her knees.  She qualified for skin surgery but her jerky and selfish husband insisted they move back to Kentucky.  The heck with her real physical discomfort, heck severe pain, he was homesick.

He got her an exercise bike (what a guy) and her stomach pouch got caught in the thing.  

He should be ashamed of himself for what he did to her, but he's not.  She loves him.  God knows why.  He doesn't give a flying fig about her.  

*RANT OFF*

Lol, this WATN is the one with Gilbert reappearing as Karina's love interest.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

I'm "enjoying" this trip down memory lane with TLC repeating the really early folks.  

Christina was up first today and the did great!  And lost a whole bunch of extra weight by dumping her "savior" husband.  Her WATN episode was wonderful.  

Now is Charity with the epic butt wings.  I don't believe we had seen such a thing previously but what had always fascinated me, God forgive me, was her fiance Tony,  This young guy who was also her daughter's uncle.  Whaaaa?  Anyway, he just sits around taking up air.  

IIRC, the daughter also gets into Dr. Now's program.  And Charity succeeded.  Don't remember about the daughter, nor if Tony stuck around.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Now Dottie Perkins has signed on saying the producers showed her gaining weight, when she actually lost weight.    I hate to break it to her, but most long term viewers can tell if you've lost, or if you've suddenly gained.  

That's sad.  I have a lot of compassion for Dottie.  She so loved Daniel.  She essentially quit the program when he died.  Just too much for her to cope with.  Don't know about her gaining, but she sure wasn't losing -- not when you give up the program.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Otter said:

IIRC, the daughter also gets into Dr. Now's program.  And Charity succeeded.  Don't remember about the daughter, nor if Tony stuck around.  

I hope I have this right, but it will be on the follow up episode thread on here somewhere.  

In the follow up episode with Charity, daughter Charlie, and Tony the uncle or whatever he was, was an epic follow up.   Charity OD'd in the hospital.   Charity, Charlie and Tony all went back to the town they were from (Iowa I think?).    Charity's sister and Tony ended up together, and the sister was pregnant.  Dr. Now told Charity that the one skin removal on the show was her last, so she was out of the program, and moved out of town, I think back to Iowa.  

It's all on the last couple of pages of the Milla, and Charity update episode, on page 2 of the 600 lb thread.    And the actual episode thread is on page 3 of the 600 lb topic.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, dahling said:

I thought Dottie got quite a sympathetic edit, unlike some of the other miscreants.  Sad to see she's jumping on the lawsuit bandwagon. 

Hopefully, her neglected other son, is in school and verbal.  

Without reading the actual filings,  I still think this lawsuit is an attempt to make money because of lost benefits. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, auntjess said:

TODAY, SOON, AT 4PM ET,  James K original episode!  (3/25/20)

You beat me to it.  I was going to sound the OWW MAH LAYG alarm!!!

And let's not forget....it's ok to eat it if it's fried.

I need something to chuckle at today.  My gym has been closed for 8 days now and I am suicidal.  I work out every day, sometimes twice-daily.  With a crappy arthritic knee there is only so much outdoor running I can do.  Tomorrow is supposed to be 58 in NJ and I don't care if I have to crawl the two miles.  I'm running.

• Love 3
On 3/8/2020 at 5:03 PM, Sthrngypsy said:

In a few of the episodes when he removes the stomach he tells how large it is compared to a normal one and how much it would hold, although I think he says things like "it is as big as a watermelon/basket ball"  So if your tummy is that big, I can see how it would hold much more than we could eat at one sitting or in one day.  And if it is only partially full after a normal meal, I can see that they would still feel hungry.  That's the physical aspect.  Then after the stomach is reduce to less than normal and they are still wanting to eat, that's the psychological aspect. 

25 minutes ago, FormeryHeavyJ said:

You beat me to it.  I was going to sound the OWW MAH LAYG alarm!!!

"Eat death, Lindsay" was on earlier.  I wasn't watching,but the tv was on so I saw a few bits of it.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:39 AM, FormeryHeavyJ said:

Cakie is a term I came up with to describe the thick, cake-like cookies you see in the supermarkets sold in the plastic clamshell of about 14. 

Oh, I have tried those.  I haven't ever bought them but people bring them to parties and potlucks.   I have tried several, each time hoping I will like them because I am a cookie person, but so far they have failed to impress.  I think it may be the texture, and I am not usually an icing person. 

• Love 1
On 3/13/2020 at 6:46 PM, Otter said:

That's sad.  I have a lot of compassion for Dottie.  She so loved Daniel.  She essentially quit the program when he died.  Just too much for her to cope with.  Don't know about her gaining, but she sure wasn't losing -- not when you give up the program.

I have less compassion for Dottie.  Yes, she loved Daniel very much, but she and her husband seem to completely ignore the younger boy, to the extent that he wasn't even verbal at an age where he should have been.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

"TLC's nonfiction medical drama My 600-lb Life continued to film across the U.S. this week with severely obese castmembers despite social distancing recommendations and high-risk factors for the show's stars amid the coronavirus pandemic."

Did they think they were exempt because they're medical? 

Was the photo from an old show?  They looked familiar.

17 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

"TLC's nonfiction medical drama My 600-lb Life continued to film across the U.S. this week with severely obese castmembers despite social distancing recommendations and high-risk factors for the show's stars amid the coronavirus pandemic."

WTF!!!!!   I have friends in sw  Georgia where 2 funerals resulted in lots of people being exposed.  I have heard that many of the people infected and hospitalized were obese and/or diabetic.  The preacher at one funeral is one of the people who later died of Covid.

13 hours ago, auntjess said:

Probably, but I can't place them.  The only brothers I recall other than those who cannot be named were David and Benji and I can't remember what they looked like.   There were also brothers earlier this season and I cannot recall what they looked like either.

14 hours ago, auntjess said:

They are the Hambrick brothers. Success stories! I follow Lonnie in Facebook. He is just rocking his life now. He was doing spin classes but I assume the gym has closed for now. He posted the other day about the garage cleanup he did since he was having to stay home. I assume his salon has been closed on account of the pandemic. He was trying to be positive and I applaud his attitude in the face of adversity.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/complaints-tlcs-my-600-lb-life-halts-filming-1287062

They’ve shut down filming now.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

They are the Hambrick brothers. Success stories! I follow Lonnie in Facebook. He is just rocking his life now. He was doing spin classes but I assume the gym has closed for now. He posted the other day about the garage cleanup he did since he was having to stay home. I assume his salon has been closed on account of the pandemic. He was trying to be positive and I applaud his attitude in the face of adversity.

That was a rather recent show, but I didn't recall what they looked like at the start.    Tara was on the other day and I saw bits of it on the dvr.  Wonder where she is now.

This is the story about sw Georgia.  Long and sobering. https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional/city-under-seige-coronavirus-exacts-heavy-toll-albany/xC9NO677gfDQSaGEQDXSAN/?f

I just read that around the middle of April, there will be a WATN on Benji, David, and Erica.  Later, (no date yet), there will be another WATN on Pauline, and Alicia.    This is the fourth episode for Pauline.    I read that both of these were filmed last summer.   I think one of the brothers (Benji or David) might be another one that signed on for that lawsuit. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Benji, David, and Erica

Great. I've no memory of any of these people. Will have to dig through the live chat threads for a refresher. 

BUT!

there will be another WATN on Pauline

This will certainly make up for it. If only they could get Penny again. 

Benji and David are brothers, the older one never saw a dentist in his life, until he saw a cosmetic dentist on the show.    He really needed everything extracted, and full dentures.    As a kid, the older brother was left home by the mother while she took the younger brother on the kiddie pageant circuit.    The older brother was already very overweight, so the mother said he wasn't cute enough for pageants, or dental work.   The one brother had an indoor pool.  

Erica is one of the ones that had a boyfriend appear in the end of the episode where she lost so much weight.  She's the one that failed at a previous weight loss surgery.     She's also the one who tried to guilt her brother into parking his boat (his only source of income) for six months to a year to go to Houston with her.  Her sister was only in the original episode, and people really ripped the sister a new one in articles, and some message boards (how many other times had Erica claimed she was losing weight, and it was her last chance before though?) 

At the end of the update she had a boyfriend, Jimmy, who was just out of a relationship with a woman who was ill for a long time, and then died.      Apparently, there is something about the boyfriend and the relationship in the WATN, and it's not good. 

What I remember most about Pauline is her giant motorized wheelchair, and the way her son was tied to her.    She had a really bad attitude too.   From what I read, this is Pauline's fourth appearance on the show, and she's only made progress for a while.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 3

Apparently, there is something about the boyfriend and the relationship in the WATN, and it's not good

But seriously, thanks for the tidbit, it might be more interesting than anything we've seen so far this season. The bar is low. 😁

image.png

• LOL 2

I think they said the one with Benji and David/Pauline will be April 22nd, and the other one isn't scheduled yet.   

The worst news is Freddie and his new 'friend' are moving from Houston to Alabama.   Maybe I can get the state troopers to stop him at the Mississippi state line, and turn him away?  (Yes, I really live in Alabama). 

The Pauline and Alicia WATN isn't scheduled yet.  I'm hoping that Pauline's personal servant, her son Dillon, has escaped her clutches. 

From what I saw on Reddit, the WATN's were supposed to air last summer, and didn't.   Good thing they kept them, because there are going to be many empty Wednesdays if they don't have a bunch of episodes ready to go. 

• Love 5

So since they're shutting down production, can't we all just hear Dr. Now at his last appointment with each of his 600-pound clients:

"Now, I want you to lose 50 pounds a munt until dis virus sishuasion is cleared up.  If you do dat, we will schedule you for weight loss surgery."

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

At the end of the update she had a boyfriend, Jimmy, who was just out of a relationship with a woman who was ill for a long time, and then died.      Apparently, there is something about the boyfriend and the relationship in the WATN, and it's not good. 

Is he the high school boyfriend she found on Facebook and couldn't stop saying his name every five seconds? He seemed like a drug user so I won't be too surprised if that's the "not good" part of the episode.

Thanks for all the intel, @CrazyInAlabama!

14 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Is he the high school boyfriend she found on Facebook and couldn't stop saying his name every five seconds? He seemed like a drug user so I won't be too surprised if that's the "not good" part of the episode.

Thanks for all the intel, @CrazyInAlabama!

That’s the one!  Every second sentence began with “Jimmy and me”.  
Edited to add: or “Me and Jimmy”. 

Edited by ThereButFor
  • LOL 1

Yes, that's the boyfriend Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy.....

I saw this on the Reddit for My 600 lb life (I hope that's allowed on here).    On starcasm, the other lawsuit sign up is David of Benji, and David.   Also, James K is a grandfather, his daughter Bayley is the mom.    Lindsey claims to be filming a follow up episode, claims she's still losing weight, she's still with Paul (of Eat, Death Lindsey fame, and Grease and Freedom), but as everyone I know predicted, she claims she had Covid-19 symptoms (it was a sinus problem).   

• Love 2

I’m surprised Pauline gets another follow up. She left/was kicked out of the program in her last one. That’s how they squeezed chad into the shows final 20 minutes. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, cynicat said:

It recently occurred to me what some of these peoples' eating reminded me of:  "Consume Mass Quantities"

giphy.gif

Love  the Coneheads!  And just like the pounders’ preferred eating style I wish I could consume mass quantities (and not be obese).

• LOL 2