Type keyword(s) to search

Hell's Kitchen in the Media

• Start Topic

Interesting.  I didn't see the dessert show so I know nothing about the man in the article.  He doesn't sound totally stable.  I can believe that the accommodations in Hell's Kitchen aren't great based upon what the audience sees and I've never understood why they're allowed to let their living quarters become pig sties.  I have a hard time believing in 2 toilets for 16 people though.  They'd never get them all organized at the same time.  

Just randomly stumbled across "Hell's Kitchen Indonesia" on YouTube (I won't post episode links so just search that yourself on YT).  I can't understand a damn word of it, but you don't need to understand the words to see (just playing the first few minutes) that they'd totally aped the US version--the kitchen and team setup, the Ramsay replacement's behavior, the credits, the graphics... even the CAMERA SHAKES.

I guess the British original wasn't as rich territory to use as a template.

It's not the biggest franchised show around the globe (per Wikipedia only 10 versions in total) but its always amusing to see how US culture is reflected across the globe (or in this case, British culture, reflected onto the US, and then RE-reflected out to the rest of the world in a new form).  

• Love 1

The UK version was entertaining enough for what it was, namely the chance for Ramsay (and later Marco-Pierre White) to puncture the egos of over-pampered D-list celebrities, but it was pretty obvious that it wasn't going to work out in the longer run. I won't outright say that the US version is better, because they're not really the same type of show, but they did the right thing by effectively turning it into a three-way hybrid of HKUK, MasterChef and The Apprentice (later dropping the MasterChef elements once it became clear that the amateur contestants just couldn't compete against their professional counterparts).

The UK version was entertaining enough for what it was, namely the chance for Ramsay (and later Marco-Pierre White) to puncture the egos of over-pampered D-list celebrities, but it was pretty obvious that it wasn't going to work out in the longer run. I won't outright say that the US version is better, because they're not really the same type of show, but they did the right thing by effectively turning it into a three-way hybrid of HKUK, MasterChef and The Apprentice (later dropping the MasterChef elements once it became clear that the amateur contestants just couldn't compete against their professional counterparts).

It's worth noting though that Ramsay LITERALLY only did two weeks of Hell's Kitchen UK, in 2004.  That's his entire connection. Even White, when you come down to it, only did twice that tenure (two two-week runs, in 2007 and 2009).  

It's a contrast with the UK's Kitchen Nightmares, which actually did have an actual prolonged life in the UK (and totally based around Ramsay, to boot).  

Now the differences between the UK and US (and Australian, and Canadian, and French... and...) MasterChefs?  That's a rich topic too, although probably in it's own forum.

• Love 2

Interesting. Well Idol was renewed for one more season. And according to Wikipedia, HK was renewed through season 16. Can they change their minds? I think it should end with season 15.

It looks like Fox is on the fence about renewing Hell's Kitchen for another season:   http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/08/canceled-shows-list  I don't think anyone would particularly miss it if it ended ;)

Nooooooooo. I admit many of the episodes are background noise for me, but I'll truly miss it if it goes. It's a twice (three times?) yearly show I look forward to so much. I have fond memories of happening upon it when I was studying for the GRE. Somehow watching people getting screamed at helped me focus. I associate it with such a specific era of my life that I'll be sad if it goes.

Also I refuse to watch MasterChef since the other judges are such insufferable pricks. Kitchen Nightmares is too gross. Hotel Hell comes on too little.

It looks like Fox is on the fence about renewing Hell's Kitchen for another season:   http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/08/canceled-shows-list  I don't think anyone would particularly miss it if it ended ;)

I talk a lot of shit about this show, but honestly here's what I'd do.... don't cancel it outright.  REST it.  We need at LEAST a year and a half break, if not two full seasons.  Give people time to miss the few things about it that really ARE good, then relaunch it, perhaps with some actual reinvention/improvements.

• Love 7

I've been watching Hell's Kitchen Italia (the first season). The chef, Carlo Cracco (isn't that a great name?!), somewhat resembles Gordon Ramsey. He seems to swear less though. The theme song is a thing of beauty, by which I mean it's cliched and ridiculous. I couldn't find a video of it in a quick google search, but perhaps someone else can. Let's just say: it's in English and includes the words "come taste my hot soup."

• Love 1

I've been watching Hell's Kitchen Italia (the first season). The chef, Carlo Cracco (isn't that a great name?!), somewhat resembles Gordon Ramsey. He seems to swear less though. The theme song is a thing of beauty, by which I mean it's cliched and ridiculous. I couldn't find a video of it in a quick google search, but perhaps someone else can. Let's just say: it's in English and includes the words "come taste my hot soup."

I didn't have any real problem finding clips of the show or press for it.  Just not the credits.\

Wait. If you aren't stuck on YouTube, here's it on Vimeo.  Yes, you are correct it's mega-cheesy.  It's like the lamest mock-light-metal-song possible.

• Love 1

Wow it's season 15 already, right up there with American Idol. I'll still watch but I really hope they've changed up the formula a bit. I still like to watch because it's just something to watch and something to do, but the formula grew stale like 5 seasons ago (or more). I'm sick of seeing the same types of "characters" every season, would love to see a shakeup in the casting and a menu change. No more beef wellington! No more skullopps! 

• Love 1

Hell's Kitchen will see season 16 and possibly beyond (as long as Fox needs HK to replace the crap shows that get canceled during the first season), however Idol will not.

Who would've thought that Gordon Ramsay would outlast Ryan Seacrest.

Hell's Kitchen will see season 16 and possibly beyond (as long as Fox needs HK to replace the crap shows that get canceled during the first season), however Idol will not.

Who would've thought that Gordon Ramsay would outlast Ryan Seacrest.

HK is also a lot cheaper and easier to produce than Idol. I'm pretty sure they've renewed Hotel Hell as well.

HK is also a lot cheaper and easier to produce than Idol. I'm pretty sure they've renewed Hotel Hell as well.

Great. In that upcoming season, Gordon will pull up at a hotel completely naked with just the seat belt covering his junk.

• Love 3

Great. In that upcoming season, Gordon will pull up at a hotel completely naked with just the seat belt covering his junk.

I really liked ever-so-slightly paunchy Gordon with the corduroy forehead and the age-appropriate haircut better than the current version.

• Love 3

Well, as much of an asshole he "plays" on this and all his other shows, (minus the Masterchef Junior), Ramsay is quite funny and charming. I watched another Live video in one of his restaurants yesterday on my FB feed, and he was showing "us" how to make crepes, and joking around with his staff.  And also mentioned how last week's service was a mess because they don't "talk to each other" and that's very important.  And he also leaked out (spoilers just in case) that

the show has been renewed until Season 18 or 19, and that they're going to do something that will turn the show on its head and it's something the "fans have been asking for for years." I have NO CLUE what that is.

So I guess I'll just snark at the contestants, because gosh darnit,  watching these videos has convinced me his performances on these shows are just that. And it's not the real him.

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Hide contents

the show has been renewed until Season 18 or 19, and that they're going to do something that will turn the show on its head and it's something the "fans have been asking for for years." I have NO CLUE what that is.

Spoiler

Maybe they're going to stop that ridiculous habit of separating the women from the men on the initial teams.

• Love 2

There has been an upsurge in overdoses in many areas lately, due to heroin dealers cutting the product with fentanyl, and extremely potent drug. My son says they have  been responding to several OD's every week for the last few months, and it is a major problem in the northeast. Their patrol cars are now equipped with Narcan, an overdose remedy of some sort, and he has already administered a couple in the last year. 

Reading between the lines in the story, it looks like Paulie wore out his welcome at the restaurant (what a surprise). Whether the narcotics was the cause, or came afterwards is unknown. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Just reread some of the older comments from the season, regarding Paulie. I had forgotten he got the special delayed push out the door from Ramsay, and based on mine and others comments, it was a particularly satisfying moment. He was a douchenozzle all season, althoug he did somewhat redeem himself in the latter portion of the finale after starting it out as his usual jerk self. 

Seems he had more issues than just what the producers edited into the show.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, MajorWoody said:

Reading between the lines in the story, it looks like Paulie wore out his welcome at the restaurant (what a surprise).

Just like he wore out his welcome on HK16.

I'll be upfront about what I'm about to say.

I know death is a terrible thing, especially for the loved ones left behind by the deceased.  But while I am sympathetic to the family and do hope they can heal from this loss (especially the parents, who should not outlive their children at any time or for any reason), I am not mourning the loss of Paulie.  If he really was as bad in real life as he was on the show, then AFAIC, the world has one less douchebag making life miserable for those around him.

This is not to say that I actively wished death on Paulie.  I'm just not particularly sympathetic or mournful that it ultimately found him.

Edited by Vyk
  • Love 7

I remember seeing Paulie's parents on the family participation episode and thinking what nice people they seemed to be and how did Paulie turn out to be such a piece of work.

While the other chefs were happily embracing their family members, Paulie was griping about how he'd rather see his girlfriend, IIRC.

Paulie obviously had demons based on what we saw on-air, but this must be devastating to his parents.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

Heroin addiction is a big problem among chefs. 

Yeah I worked at a hotel where one of the chefs got addicted and when he was confronted he walked out of his job, his life and his marriage.  The wife was devastated. I don't know what ultimately happened (this all went down my next to last day at the hotel) but I'm betting it didn't end well.

• Love 4
On 4/21/2017 at 3:51 PM, spiderpig said:

I remember seeing Paulie's parents on the family participation episode and thinking what nice people they seemed to be and how did Paulie turn out to be such a piece of work.

While the other chefs were happily embracing their family members, Paulie was griping about how he'd rather see his girlfriend, IIRC.

Paulie obviously had demons based on what we saw on-air, but this must be devastating to his parents.

I couldn't stand Paulie but remembering this makes me very sad for his parents regarding him being on Hell's Kitchen.  It may have been a source of comfort for them to re-watch the series, but that's what they are going to see.  Him being a dick and saying he'd rather have his girlfriend than his parents. And IMO it's quite possible that his stint on Hell's Kitchen worsened his already present issues. 

• Love 7
On 4/21/2017 at 3:52 PM, Major Bigtime said:

Heroin addiction is a big problem among chefs. 

True, and from all reports it's becoming a bigger problem, period.  We keep hearing about the new drug epidemic and this is just one more casualty of it.

I agree with the others here that Paulie had a lot of personal/interpersonal issues and I'm not really too surprised to hear this news.  Very sad.

• Love 4