Type keyword(s) to search

Clash of the Egos: On-Set Drama and Feuds

• Start Topic

This a great article on the movie Heathers from two years ago in EW, with some fun interviews from the cast and crew. I love Shannen Doherty, but it's so funny how hard everyone is trying to be nice about her, while also saying she wasn't the easiest person to work with (Carrie Lynn--Martha Dumptruck--cut right to the chase and said "she was just so bitchy"), although Winona was pretty forgiving, saying Shannen had trouble saying some of the lines Heather Duke was given, like "Why are you pulling my dick?", because she grew up in a very conservative household.

And meanwhile, Shannen saying some of this might have happened, but she doesn't remember all of it. LOL.

http://www.ew.com/article/2014/04/04/heathers-oral-history

• Love 4

Since Jessica Lange and Susan Sarandon's cable movie dramatizing the feud between Joan Crawford and Bette Davis has put it back in the current spotlight, while one may try to make the case the outsiders tried to make it worse than otherwise for publicity's sake, one cannot deny that they seemed to go out their way to make things more unpleasant for each other as much as possible. Case in point, when Miss Crawford introduced her youngest daughters to Miss Davis's daughter B.D. , Miss Crawford told B.D. that she could not hang out with the Crawford children as they had been sheltered and raised with the best of manners whereas B.D. herself had NOT been. Yeesh, what a mean thing to deliberately attack a costar's offspring! Not that Miss Davis (or her daughter) were by any means flawless but that really was rotten, IMO. Still, that's far from the only act of deliberate cruelty I ever heard of re Miss Crawford.

Edited by Blergh
minusing an 'ly'
  • Love 3

Mommie Dearest anyone?

Some might believe Christina Crawford was exaggerating but I definitely don't. Stories like that add up to one nasty picture of a woman who needed to control everybody.

I still wonder about the depths of the Lauren Graham/Scott Patterson situation on Gilmore Girls.

• Love 5
On 3/13/2017 at 0:07 PM, DisneyBoy said:

Mommie Dearest anyone?

Some might believe Christina Crawford was exaggerating but I definitely don't. Stories like that add up to one nasty picture of a woman who needed to control everybody.

I still wonder about the depths of the Lauren Graham/Scott Patterson situation on Gilmore Girls.

I don't, either. I listened to the audiobook of Mommie Dearest, and there's something that rings very true about her account of the events. The movie was a live-action cartoon but the book feels very authentic. Even the claims of the younger siblings about how they never experienced anything makes sense- abuser parents often focus on one of the kids. And the twins were 8 years younger, so there's a lot of stuff they would have missed.

• Love 5

It's not on-set drama, more post-set drama, but wow, George Lazenby's departure from James Bond after making one film before it was released is pretty amazing. Talk about killing your career before it even starts.

Hulu has even made a docudrama about it:

George Lazenby was basically a male model who looked the part of James Bond, and was given a shot at doing the role after Sean Connery stepped away from the role. He reportedly felt disenfranchised during the filming of the movie, feeling as though he was given no input. George had this to say, "[The Producers] made me feel like I was mindless. They disregarded everything I suggested simply because I hadn't been in the film business like them for about a thousand years."

Before the movie was released, he grew a beard and said he didn't want to play the role again even though he was offered a 7-movie contract. From what I understood, he got into counterculture and felt as though James Bond was a relic of the early 60's, and was convinced by his agent that the film franchise wouldn't survive the 1970's because it was so outdated.

His co-star Diana Rigg had this to say about him:

"The role made Sean Connery a millionaire. It made Sean Connery ... I truly don't know what's happening in George's mind so I can only speak of my reaction. I think it's a pretty foolish move. I think if he can bear to do an apprenticeship, which everybody in this business has to do – has to do – then he should do it quietly and with humility. Everybody has to do it. There are few instant successes in the film business. And the instant successes one usually associates with somebody who is willing to learn anyway."

She also said this, "I can no longer cater for his obsession with himself. He is utterly, unbelievably ... bloody impossible".

Sometimes, you luck out with a green actor and they manage to hit it out of the ballpark. In this case...not so much.

• Love 9

Man, if Mrs. Peel got exasperated with him, he does seem to have shot himself in the foot.

Perhaps an even sadder classic on-set feud was in the making of the original "The Champ"    (1931)in which the famous character actor Wallace Beery played a washed up boxer raising solo his young son played by Jackie Cooper. The whole plot hinged on their chemistry and the fact that the ONE saving grace this old man had going for him was that he was willing to sacrifice his all for this boy.

Decades later after Beery had died and Jackie Cooper himself had become a director  , Mr. Cooper admitted that Mr. Beery was downright hostile and mean to him every second when they weren't on camera so he had no warm memories of working with him despite that amazing onscreen chemistry.

• Love 4

Johnny Depp: A Star in Crisis and the Insane Story of His "Missing" Millions

Still, sources close to the production report tales of excessive drinking, physical fights with Heard and constant lateness on set, which often left hundreds of extras waiting for hours at a time.  . .

Several times, the production staff raised the matter of Depp's tardiness with him, both on set and in his trailer, in a largely fruitless attempt to have him toe the line.

Often, sources say, a production staffer was stationed in an unmarked car outside the Coomera, Queensland, compound that Depp had rented from Grand Prix champion Mick Doohan so that the sentinel could alert everyone the second a light was switched on in the morning (or afternoon).

"When he got up, he'd turn on the light, and the moment the light went on they'd call the line producer, who would then call the directors [Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg]: 'He's up! He's getting ready!' " says an on-set source. "They even had a special code term, like 'The eagle has landed.' Johnny had no idea this was going on."

There is a lot more crazy stuff in the article.

• Love 6

I was just posting about Rosie O'Donnell and Elisabeth Hasselbeck's legendary fight on The View and it got me wondering why we didn't have a thread to devoted to all of the Hollywood feuds that have kept us talking over the years.

Technically speaking, the Rosie O'Donnell/Elizabeth Hasselbeck thing happened on television, but since Rosie's kind of a Hollywood star...I guess...can I talk about it here too? I mean, I suppose we could have a separate thread for television feuds but it seems kind of pointless. Especially given how much Hollywood actors are now working in TV. There's cross-pollination every which way and it'll be easier to have a catch-all thread perhaps.

So back to my point: Rosie versus Elizabeth. I'm not a fan of people fighting and I don't typically find it entertaining but wow was this spat loaded.

Rosie was incensed because Elizabeth didn't stand up to defend her when the media accused her of not supporting the US troops. That of course is ridiculous especially if you watched Rosie's original show. She constantly had guests on that were family members or service members and gave away prizes and paid tribute to the troops. I even think one of her sons went into the military. So it's a stupid thing for someone to say about Rosie, but at the time she was criticizing the Iraq War and I guess the media decided that wasn't very patriotic of her. Elizabeth stood by and said nothing and for that Rosie called her out on the show for being a lousy friend and a coward.

I think what was bubbling up to the surface was probably a lifelong frustration of Rosie's: that as long as you are blonde, white, heterosexual and Christian, you have all the power and get to call the shots. Rosie being a lesbian and an overweight woman in media has meant that she has had to struggle to have respect and to voice her opinions. Sitting across the table from Elizabeth must have been slowly driving her up the wall for months...

On the other hand, I actually do feel badly for Elizabeth being blindsided like that on live television and basically being put in a position to have to defend herself against Rosie, who didn't have to bring this subject up in the first place. Of course Elizabeth being Elizabeth, the best she can do is throw the then-recent Donald Trump scandal in Rosie's face and it's at that exact moment that she loses the audience's support.

I realize this happened years ago and it's kind of silly for me to be talking about it, but I saw it live on television and my jaw basically hit the floor. I've never seen two anchors really go at it in such a way. The conflict was so personal and at the same time so ideological that I keep coming back to it over the years.

It marked the end of Rosie's tenure on The View and I think the end of the public's tolerance towards her outspoken nature, so in that sense she did lose. But at the same time, nobody could stand Elisabeth Hasselbeck from that point onward because Elizabeth is exactly the type of "friend" who will stand by while you're being attacked and do nothing to defend you. And it was repeatedly stated in the years since her departure that Elizabeth was getting talking points from Fox News and the Republican party every morning, who she ended up leaving The View to work for, so Rosie was right on the money about that too.

I wonder if that confrontation did anything to open people's eyes though in a broader sense. Rosie's one of the most visible lesbians in the world and she certainly is outspoken but I wonder if anybody thought a little bit more about how badly the LGBTQ community is treated by the media and how badly they are supported by others, in particular perhaps Republicans or white Christians. Or was the takeaway simply that shows with women are probably going to lead to cat fights? I wonder what relevance this fight still has. Has the world at large just written them both off?

I don't even know if I would actually consider their's an ongoing feud because they're clearly out of each other's orbit at this point. But in hindsight it's interesting to contemplate that they worked together for so many months prior to that fight and at any point during those months something could have been done to avoid the tensions rising to the point where they ended up in a shouting match on the air.

And of course the show's producers saw no problem in capitalizing on the moment by pitting them against each other in a split screen - an equally sad statement on just how much they mattered to the producers at the end of the day. If they were valued members of the staff, the show's producers could have easily cut away to commercial when the other co-hosts tried to reign in the fight. Instead, they were all too willing to let the two women have it out on live television and get their big water cooler moment at their expense. Is it because they were women? Is it because they were eager to see Rosie make a fool of herself on television one last time before her contract was up? Is it because they were both expendable?

On a completely separate note, I'm also kind of wondering where things stand between Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Aniston. I don't know that they ever really had a feud because I'm guessing Jennifer Aniston was probably trying to keep things classy at the time her marriage fell apart, knowing the sharks were circling just waiting to blow up any slight interaction they had into a giant cat fight in order to sell tabloids. But now that Angie and Brad and broken up and Jennifer is the one happily married, I can't help but wonder if on some level she's chuckling about the whole thing. Probably not because she understands how much this must be hurting Brad and their kids, but at the same time...she is human...

Which Hollywood guys have had massive feuds?

Which feuds still fascinate you to this day?

Which feuds did you personally get to see play out?

Which feuds were entirely fabricated?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 5
On 5/6/2017 at 10:31 PM, methodwriter85 said:

It's not on-set drama, more post-set drama, but wow, George Lazenby's departure from James Bond after making one film before it was released is pretty amazing. Talk about killing your career before it even starts.

Hulu has even made a docudrama about it:

George Lazenby was basically a male model who looked the part of James Bond, and was given a shot at doing the role after Sean Connery stepped away from the role. He reportedly felt disenfranchised during the filming of the movie, feeling as though he was given no input. George had this to say, "[The Producers] made me feel like I was mindless. They disregarded everything I suggested simply because I hadn't been in the film business like them for about a thousand years."

Before the movie was released, he grew a beard and said he didn't want to play the role again even though he was offered a 7-movie contract. From what I understood, he got into counterculture and felt as though James Bond was a relic of the early 60's, and was convinced by his agent that the film franchise wouldn't survive the 1970's because it was so outdated.

His co-star Diana Rigg had this to say about him:

"The role made Sean Connery a millionaire. It made Sean Connery ... I truly don't know what's happening in George's mind so I can only speak of my reaction. I think it's a pretty foolish move. I think if he can bear to do an apprenticeship, which everybody in this business has to do – has to do – then he should do it quietly and with humility. Everybody has to do it. There are few instant successes in the film business. And the instant successes one usually associates with somebody who is willing to learn anyway."

She also said this, "I can no longer cater for his obsession with himself. He is utterly, unbelievably ... bloody impossible".

Sometimes, you luck out with a green actor and they manage to hit it out of the ballpark. In this case...not so much.

That's an understatement, re the last point. Lazemby got his big break by playing one of the most iconic roles of all time, but instead of appreciating it, he believed his own hype, pissing away his career & pissing off Diana Rigg in the process. Lazemby shat the bed all the way through the boxspring.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

That's an understatement, re the last point. Lazemby got his big break by playing one of the most iconic roles of all time, but instead of appreciating it, he believed his own hype, pissing away his career & pissing off Diana Rigg in the process. Lazemby shat the bed all the way through the boxspring.

He's kind of like Alex Pettyfer, except Alex Pettyfer didn't piss away an iconic role like that. More like he was given a lead role in a couple of movies that were set up to be big but didn't deliver, but he still believed in his own hype because it takes awhile for Hollywood to give up on a male actor, especially when he looks like an Abercrombie model. When you manage to piss off Channing Tatum, who EVERYBODY seems to like working with, something's wrong there, buddy.

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

He's kind of like Alex Pettyfer, except Alex Pettyfer didn't piss away an iconic role like that. More like he was given a lead role in a couple of movies that were set up to be big but didn't deliver, but he still believed in his own hype because it takes awhile for Hollywood to give up on a male actor, especially when he looks like an Abercrombie model. When you manage to piss off Channing Tatum, who EVERYBODY seems to like working with, something's wrong there, buddy.

Yes! Has Alex done any work recently? Seems like he's now a dud. 

20 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes! Has Alex done any work recently? Seems like he's now a dud. 

He has, but nothing anybody is actually seeing. I still can't believe that he allegedly had the nerve to ask for 3 million to play Jace in the Mortal Instruments.

23 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I was just posting about Rosie O'Donnell and Elisabeth Hasselbeck's legendary fight on The View and it got me wondering why we didn't have a thread to devoted to all of the Hollywood feuds that have kept us talking over the years.

Technically speaking, the Rosie O'Donnell/Elizabeth Hasselbeck thing happened on television, but since Rosie's kind of a Hollywood star...I guess...can I talk about it here too? I mean, I suppose we could have a separate thread for television feuds but it seems kind of pointless. Especially given how much Hollywood actors are now working in TV. There's cross-pollination every which way and it'll be easier to have a catch-all thread perhaps.

So back to my point: Rosie versus Elizabeth. I'm not a fan of people fighting and I don't typically find it entertaining but wow was this spat loaded.

Rosie was incensed because Elizabeth didn't stand up to defend her when the media accused her of not supporting the US troops. That of course is ridiculous especially if you watched Rosie's original show. She constantly had guests on that were family members or service members and gave away prizes and paid tribute to the troops. I even think one of her sons went into the military. So it's a stupid thing for someone to say about Rosie, but at the time she was criticizing the Iraq War and I guess the media decided that wasn't very patriotic of her. Elizabeth stood by and said nothing and for that Rosie called her out on the show for being a lousy friend and a coward.

I think what was bubbling up to the surface was probably a lifelong frustration of Rosie's: that as long as you are blonde, white, heterosexual and Christian, you have all the power and get to call the shots. Rosie being a lesbian and an overweight woman in media has meant that she has had to struggle to have respect and to voice her opinions. Sitting across the table from Elizabeth must have been slowly driving her up the wall for months...

On the other hand, I actually do feel badly for Elizabeth being blindsided like that on live television and basically being put in a position to have to defend herself against Rosie, who didn't have to bring this subject up in the first place. Of course Elizabeth being Elizabeth, the best she can do is throw the then-recent Donald Trump scandal in Rosie's face and it's at that exact moment that she loses the audience's support.

I realize this happened years ago and it's kind of silly for me to be talking about it, but I saw it live on television and my jaw basically hit the floor. I've never seen two anchors really go at it in such a way. The conflict was so personal and at the same time so ideological that I keep coming back to it over the years.

It marked the end of Rosie's tenure on The View and I think the end of the public's tolerance towards her outspoken nature, so in that sense she did lose. But at the same time, nobody could stand Elisabeth Hasselbeck from that point onward because Elizabeth is exactly the type of "friend" who will stand by while you're being attacked and do nothing to defend you. And it was repeatedly stated in the years since her departure that Elizabeth was getting talking points from Fox News and the Republican party every morning, who she ended up leaving The View to work for, so Rosie was right on the money about that too.

I wonder if that confrontation did anything to open people's eyes though in a broader sense. Rosie's one of the most visible lesbians in the world and she certainly is outspoken but I wonder if anybody thought a little bit more about how badly the LGBTQ community is treated by the media and how badly they are supported by others, in particular perhaps Republicans or white Christians. Or was the takeaway simply that shows with women are probably going to lead to cat fights? I wonder what relevance this fight still has. Has the world at large just written them both off?

I don't even know if I would actually consider their's an ongoing feud because they're clearly out of each other's orbit at this point. But in hindsight it's interesting to contemplate that they worked together for so many months prior to that fight and at any point during those months something could have been done to avoid the tensions rising to the point where they ended up in a shouting match on the air.

And of course the show's producers saw no problem in capitalizing on the moment by pitting them against each other in a split screen - an equally sad statement on just how much they mattered to the producers at the end of the day. If they were valued members of the staff, the show's producers could have easily cut away to commercial when the other co-hosts tried to reign in the fight. Instead, they were all too willing to let the two women have it out on live television and get their big water cooler moment at their expense. Is it because they were women? Is it because they were eager to see Rosie make a fool of herself on television one last time before her contract was up? Is it because they were both expendable?

On a completely separate note, I'm also kind of wondering where things stand between Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Aniston. I don't know that they ever really had a feud because I'm guessing Jennifer Aniston was probably trying to keep things classy at the time her marriage fell apart, knowing the sharks were circling just waiting to blow up any slight interaction they had into a giant cat fight in order to sell tabloids. But now that Angie and Brad and broken up and Jennifer is the one happily married, I can't help but wonder if on some level she's chuckling about the whole thing. Probably not because she understands how much this must be hurting Brad and their kids, but at the same time...she is human...

Which Hollywood guys have had massive feuds?

Which feuds still fascinate you to this day?

Which feuds did you personally get to see play out?

Which feuds were entirely fabricated?

Jennifer and Justin have recently spoken out about trouble in their marriage and them deciding to work through it.  I think if anything Jennifer is preoccupied with her own situation.  I also think enough time has passed and information revealed that people may have a different perspective on what actually happened there and truthfully admit that their idea that Brad and Jennifer had a great marriage has been pretty heavily debunked.

• Love 2

I'm just happy that at 48, people have stopped bugging her about having a baby. Whether it's by choice or not, that ship has pretty much sailed. Yes, there's Janet and Jennifer Jason Leigh, but pretty much that age your window to motherhood has closed, barring adoption or surrogacy. (I think Angela Bassett used a surrogate.)

I remember people used to bug Oprah so much about it before she hit her 50's, too. Meanwhile nobody gives a shit about asking male celebs when they're going to have kids.

They weren't Hollywood stars per se but Debbie Gibson and Tiffany have always maintained they never had any kind of beef with each other even though the press tried to make it look like they did.

More from my day...but the Lindsey Lohan/Hilary Duff/Aaron Carter drama was fake as hell. And heh, poor methhead Aaron Carter. Maybe he can get Jodie Sweeten to sponsor him?  He's also finally admitted he's not straight, too.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I'm just happy that at 48, people have stopped bugging her about having a baby. Whether it's by choice or not, that ship has pretty much sailed. Yes, there's Janet and Jennifer Jason Leigh, but pretty much that age your window to motherhood has closed, barring adoption or surrogacy. (I think Angela Bassett used a surrogate.)

I remember people used to bug Oprah so much about it before she hit her 50's, too. Meanwhile nobody gives a shit about asking male celebs when they're going to have kids.

This drives me crazy. Not every woman wants a kid.  Some even (gasp) don't want kids. 

• Love 11
6 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

They weren't Hollywood stars per se but Debbie Gibson and Tiffany have always maintained they never had any kind of beef with each other even though the press tried to make it look like they did.

More from my day...but the Lindsey Lohan/Hilary Duff/Aaron Carter drama was fake as hell. And heh, poor methhead Aaron Carter. Maybe he can get Jodie Sweeten to sponsor him?  He's also finally admitted he's not straight, too.

I think Adrienne Barbeau did genuinely conceive her twin sons at a later age without surrogacy. Lesley-Anne Down had a later in life pregnancy too, which was written into the soap Sunset Beach.

Debbie Gibson and TIffany poked fun at their so-called rivalry in a horror movie once. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I seem to recall folks not happy George Clooney was not having kids in his 30's and 40's then getting upset when he'd finally married and had twins in his mid  50's. Yeah, the male body has zero to worry about re pregnancy and childbirth but there's still the issue of how late-in-life kids will fare should one or both of their parents not live to see them graduate college.

As for Aaron Carter, I don't get why he was willing to spend the last decade or so in relative obscurity dealing but has recently decided to make his issues everyone's business.

• Love 2

It wasn't on-set, but watching Tropic Thunder and the Avengers movies made me think a bit about Robert Downey Jr.'s wild days:

A Troubled Actor's Rude Awakening (1996)

I still remember the clip from his True Hollywood Story where the neighbor said how horrifying it was.

Robert Downey Jr. and Drew Barrymore should do a reality show where they try to help drug-addicted celebrities get clean. Maybe Aaron Carter can get saved?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Gretchen Mol emphatically denies the long-standing rumor that she slept with Harvey Weinstein to get parts.

God, the fact that this has continued to be a rumor is incredibly offensive and sexist.  Maybe the current conversations will put an end to it.

• Love 6
On 8/6/2017 at 11:49 PM, JBC344 said:

Jennifer and Justin have recently spoken out about trouble in their marriage and them deciding to work through it.  I think if anything Jennifer is preoccupied with her own situation.  I also think enough time has passed and information revealed that people may have a different perspective on what actually happened there and truthfully admit that their idea that Brad and Jennifer had a great marriage has been pretty heavily debunked.

I don't care what Brad and Jen's marriage was like, he is forever an asshole to me.  Media and people are constantly trying to pin blame somehow on Jen for what happened.  Funny story, a 27 year old coworker had no idea about all this.  She was shocked.  She asked, Was it a big story in the media?  Was it all over social media?  I was like, honey, social media didn't even exist back then.  (Divorce and beginning of Facebook were both 2005.)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Tyrese says, "It's me or The Rock."

Producers: "Let us sleep on i- Nah, just kidding, we'll go with one of the most bankable stars in the world over a model-turned-B-actor."

To be fair to Tyrese, he was an R & B musician before he became an actor/model. He was quite successful. However, it's impossibly stupid of him to think he can't be replaced. Just ask Ja Rule. I'm sure Kevin Hart, Morris Chestnut, Adam Rodriguez, or whomever replaces Tyrese will be more than happy to have the work.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't care what Brad and Jen's marriage was like, he is forever an asshole to me.  Media and people are constantly trying to pin blame somehow on Jen for what happened.  Funny story, a 27 year old coworker had no idea about all this.  She was shocked.  She asked, Was it a big story in the media?  Was it all over social media?  I was like, honey, social media didn't even exist back then.  (Divorce and beginning of Facebook were both 2005.)

That's both hilarious and sad to me. I'm 28, and I was a sophomore in high school when that story hit, and you could not avoid it, social media or not. 

• Love 1

Maybe someone can correct me, but I got the impression that the Rock/Dwayne Johnson is a decentish guy at least by Hollywood standards (whatever that means). Both Tyrese and  Vin Diesel seem to hate him on Fast & Furious. Why is this? Are they both assholes who are jealous or is the Rock really antagonizing them in some way? 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Athena said:

Maybe someone can correct me, but I got the impression that the Rock/Dwayne Johnson is a decentish guy at least by Hollywood standards (whatever that means). Both Tyrese and  Vin Diesel seem to hate him on Fast & Furious. Why is this? Are they both assholes who are jealous or is the Rock really antagonizing them in some way? 

Tyrese's issue is just stupidity and personal issues. He's going through a custody battle with his ex-wife and needs the money for lawyers fees. Universal has decided to prioritize filming the Rock's Fast and Furious spin-off over Fast 9. Unfortunately,  Tyrese really really needs the cash now.

Vin Diesel and the Rock were feuding because they were playing a petty game of one-upsmanship. Apparently the Rock was late on set because he was filming a ton of other stuff, which irritated Diesel. Diesel would retaliate by refusing to come out of his trailer when the Rock finally showed. Additionally, Diesel decided to stretch his acting producing muscles by having the script rewritten to make his role more dramatic and less action oriented. He also cut stuff from the Rock's part.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Athena said:

The Tyrese/Rock issue is really Tyrese feeling that the Rock has upset the balance of "the family" dynamic that all the cast has indulged in, in the last 15 years.  I personally think that he is just plain jealous of The Rock for getting a spin off series when The Rock is "sort of" the new kid on the block so to speak.  He also is angry that the spin off series is moving forward pushing the filming of the next Fast and Furious back.  Since Tyrese seems to be going through a lot of personal issues the situation is incredibly exacerbated, way more than it should be.

The Vin Diesel/The Rock conflict from my understanding is that Vin has been a producer on the series for a while and Universal came up with the idea to do a spin off movie with The Rock and Jason Statham's characters.  Vin was offended that not only were the discussions done behind his back as a producer but also The Rock didn't come to him as a man/friend and tell him.  There was also talk that Universal was trying to change the script to beef up The Rock and Jason Statham's roles in the last movie as sort of a prelude for them getting their own movie. 

Personally the Tyrese issue is 90% about his own jealousy and grandstanding.  An issue that has been getting him in trouble over the last few years.  Now with Vin Diesel I actually thing that he has a point about what went down on the last movie.  I like The Rock but I have to say that I was completely turned off by him and the way he publicized his issues with Vin Diesel.  Before that, this was an issue that was being handled behind the scenes and The Rock made it public in a very dramatic way.

My understanding is that The Rock and Vin have made up and are on good terms again.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Stuffy said:

I heard the opposite that Diesel was the one being late to set and Rock doesn't put up with people being unprofessional.  Then they got in an argument.

I should have been a little more clear. I thought the issue was that the Rock had the busier schedule that they had to accommodate and film around, which pissed off Diesel as the "star" and producer of these movies. So whenever the Rock was on set, Diesel acted out by refusing to come out of his trailer. This of course, pissed the Rock off because he was busy filming and producing Ballers and Baywatch during that same year, filming Jumanji, and I'm sure there is something else that I'm forgetting. His time was super limited. Furthermore, this was the first film they had done without Paul Walker.

1 hour ago, JBC344 said:

The Vin Diesel/The Rock conflict from my understanding is that Vin has been a producer on the series for a while and Universal came up with the idea to do a spin off movie with The Rock and Jason Statham's characters.  Vin was offended that not only were the discussions done behind his back as a producer but also The Rock didn't come to him as a man/friend and tell him.  There was also talk that Universal was trying to change the script to beef up The Rock and Jason Statham's roles in the last movie as sort of a prelude for them getting their own movie. 

I can also see this being a big issue too if Universal never came to Diesel and didn't tell him of their intention to spin the Rock's and Statham's characters off.

• Love 1

This is more after-the-fact drama, but I just saw Begin Again on Netflix, which was filmed about 5 years ago. It starred Mark Ruffalo and Keira Knightley as two people who work on an music album together. Apparently, the director John Carney slagged on Keira's acting while he did press for Sing Street:

Carney's criticism of Knightley

During a series of interviews to promote his film Sing Street in 2016, Carney repeatedly criticized Knightley for her acting in Begin Again. When asked about the critical reaction to Sing Street by The Independent, Carney responded unprompted that "it's a small personal movie with no Keira Knightleys in it. It's really rewarding."[19] In the same interview Carney also referred to her repeatedly as a model, despite the fact that Knightley had been working professionally as an actress since childhood, saying "I'll never make a film with supermodels again." He also criticized her in an interview with Heyuguys.com, saying, "I just think with Keira it was like asking her to do something that she could not do."[20] Though he did not specifically name Knightley, he did, in an interview with Den of Geek, say that his desire to make Sing Street came from his "experience of working, let's face it, with a model on my last film".[21] Filmmakers Massy Tadjedin, Mark Romanek, Lorene Scafaria and Lynn Shelton, who had worked with Knightley on other films, tweeted their support for her after Carney's comments.[22]

Carney later tweeted a public apology saying he felt like "a complete idiot" and saying that Knightley was "nothing but professional and dedicated" during the filming of the movie.[23]

I mean, let's be honest here. Her singing wasn't that great (but it wasn't supposed to- the character was a songwriter but not a singer), but it's just ridiculous that he burned a bridge like that, especially with a famous actress who by all accounts doesn't seem to have a diva rep. I don't get what he expected from her- her role was pretty straightforward as a young woman dealing with the break-up of her long-time relationship and finding a voice in music. She delivered fine on that. I never felt like she was out of her depth with the part she was playing. There are plenty of mediocre actresses that only get parts because they're beautiful, but I have never thought Keira was one of them.

Maybe if the movie didn't get the accolades John Carney wanted, it's because it was a fine film but it didn't really have the emotional punch that either Once or Sing Street had? It was a fun way to spend 90 minutes but it won't stick with me like the other two did.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 7

Keira's oscar noms don't qualify her as an professional actress? Yeah, I think Keira was very competent in the movie. And I thought her singing was nice and as you said @methodwriter85, she was supposed to be a bit timid. I preferred her version of "Lost Stars" to Adam Levine's. Hers had an emotion and delicacy I really liked. 

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

Keira's oscar noms don't qualify her as an professional actress? Yeah, I think Keira was very competent in the movie. And I thought her singing was nice and as you said @methodwriter85, she was supposed to be a bit timid. I preferred her version of "Lost Stars" to Adam Levine's. Hers had an emotion and delicacy I really liked. 

I really think that because Begin Again didn't get the critical reception and awards noms that Once did (and Sing Street later did), he blamed Keira for that. Which is just ridiculous. Begin Again was a nice film, but it didn't have the gut punch that Once or Sing Street had. Mostly because the emotional stakes of that movie just don't feel that high. Mark Ruffalo is an alcoholic that gets fired, but his life comes back together easily once he starts helping her record her album. His daughter is an emotional wreck who dresses in slutty clothes to seek attention, but all she needs is a makeover and some confidence in her guitar playing. Keira's character is a sad girl going through her break-up, but she also seems to buck up pretty quick. Their life problems seem easily resolved, which wasn't the case for either the characters in Once or in Sing Street.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

I don't get why he rags on Kiera when Adam Levine was also in the cast...

My wild guess is that the director wasn't attracted to Adam Levine in any way but maybe it was a different story with Keira? Not to say that he made inappropriate advances necessarily, but his criticisms showed a certain fixation on her looks.

• Love 2
On 11/12/2017 at 10:13 PM, Dejana said:

My wild guess is that the director wasn't attracted to Adam Levine in any way but maybe it was a different story with Keira? Not to say that he made inappropriate advances necessarily, but his criticisms showed a certain fixation on her looks.

It's just really disappointing to hear the director be such an ass when he made two really great, touching films in Once and Sing Street. I hope he learned his lesson.

• Love 3

Yeah, I remember when that Carney/Knightley thing happened, and he definitely came out of it looking like the shitty one. The way he repeatedly seemed to go out of his way to trash her without even being asked was bizarre and the fixation on her looks and undermining her legitimacy as an actor because of it comes across as more than a little sexist. Plus, obviously we're not privy to all the behind the scenes stuff, but everything I've heard about Keira in the past paints her as pretty down to earth and among the least Movie Star-ish movie stars out there.

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 5
On 11/16/2017 at 7:53 AM, AshleyN said:

Yeah, I remember when that Carney/Knightley thing happened, and he definitely came out of it looking like the shitty one. The way he repeatedly seemed to go out of his way to trash her without even being asked was bizarre and the fixation on her looks and undermining her legitimacy as an actor because of it comes across as more than a little sexist. Plus, obviously we're not privy to all the behind the scenes stuff, but everything I've heard about Keira in the past paints her as pretty down to earth and among the least Movie Star-ish movie stars out there.

It's utterly baffling that someone would burn a bridge with her. She's not very diva and she's a good  "name" to have with your project. He didn't just burn his bridge with her, but likely Mark Ruffalo, too.  Probably Hailee Steinfield as well, since Keira seems like she probably took on a big sister role to Steinfield when they were filming.

Anyway...there needs to be a tell-all book some day about the failures of the DCEU.

• Love 2

Re Bryan Singer's getting fired from Bohemian Rhapsody, the Freddie Mercury biopic  I'm not surprised. Apparently, there have not only been production problems from the start, he was fighting with Rami Malek, the star, culminating in Singer's reportedly throwing something at Malek, hence Singer's getting fired. Singer claims that he's been stressed out because he's been caring for a sick parent, but I'm not buying it. Plenty of directors have had problems, but they still managed to be professionals. Sir Ridley Scott had to reshoot scenes replacing Kevin Spacey with Christopher Plummer for All the Money In the World and AFAIK he didn't throw any hissyfits. Given the rumors about Singer, I see at least  a few #MeToo moments  coming his way.

As for Tyrese, he needs to have several seats. Tyrese is his own worst enemy, whether he's picking fights with Dwayne Johnson, whining on Instagram, claiming that there's going to be a sequel to Four Brothers, which isn't true, his claiming to be broke despite taking trips to Dubai & owning two houses, (complete with Benihana & Starbuck's) or his claiming on the radio that his marriage to his foreign first ex wife was of convenience, jeopardizing her citizenship, her freedom & her custody of their daughter-who could wind up in foster care. Tyrese's life is a shit storm of his own making.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 7

I saw a revival screening of West Side Story, and it made me think about all the various tidbits I remember reading about the production...

* Rita Moreno had been raped as a child, and thus her sexual assault scene had been triggering. They stopped filming when she began to cry for real and the guys playing the Jets comforted her.

* Jerome Robbins initially refused to work on the film unless he could direct it. Producer Walter Mirisch was nervous about handing the reins entirely over to Robbins, who had never made a film before, so he enlisted Robert Wise to direct the drama while Robbins would handle the singing and dancing sequences. Robbins developed a habit of shooting numerous takes of each scene, to the point where the film went over budget and behind schedule. This led to his firing.

* Natalie came on pretty late into production, as she was also finishing up her filming of Splendor in the Grass. She didn't really mesh with the cast, save for Tony Mordente, who seemed to be the one person that she connected with during filming. Richard Beymer has backed this up saying that she was pretty aloof to him, and he thought this was due to a bad screen test as well as him getting the part over Warren Beatty, who had been considered. However, this is not the reason given that Natalie did not get along with Warren during Splendor and according to Mordente, Warren didn't show up to filming or anything else to suggest that they had a thing going on. Russ Tamblyn did tell Richard Beymer many years later when they worked on Twins Peak that Natalie had a list of people that got on her bad side in her dressing room, and Richard was on it, for reasons that remain unknown. Despite this, Natalie and Beymer had a pleasant encounter at a disco and Richard was surprised to learn how pleasant and charming she could be.

* Natalie was led to believe that they might use her actual singing, and they actually filmed her sequences using her own vocal recordings. When she found out that they weren't using her at all, she was furious.

* Maria's white dress was apparently a bone of contention, as the costume designer had tried to make a  dress that actually looked traditional. Somehow, Natalie conspired to have it altered and the end result didn't look remotely like the original design. Allegedly, the costume designer was so upset when they saw what had been done to the dress that they walked off the set.

* Richard Beymer wasn't happy with his performance in the filming, feeling that Tony was too dopey to be believeable as a street kid. He was pressured by Robert Wise to play Tony that way, 

Another thing I read is that the people who own the rights to the musical were NOT happy with the switching of "Cool" and "Gee, Officer Krupke" and sanctioned productions have to do follow it that way. I'm not sure where I read that and I could be very wrong, but I do remember my high school performed it according to the stage order. I haven't seen West Side Story in any professional productions so I don't have anything to compare that to.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Another thing I read is that the people who own the rights to the musical were NOT happy with the switching of "Cool" and "Gee, Officer Krupke" and sanctioned productions have to do follow it that way. I'm not sure where I read that and I could be very wrong, but I do remember my high school performed it according to the stage order. I haven't seen West Side Story in any professional productions so I don't have anything to compare that to.

I've heard this too and I prefer the movie's version with the lighthearted Officer Krupke coming before all the drama. It makes more sense to me that way. 

• Love 4

I can't even those two songs were ever switched, would make no sense that way.

Which one is Tony Mordente, IMDB says he's "Action." Is he the tall drink of water who sings "Cool?"

1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

Which one is Tony Mordente, IMDB says he's "Action." Is he the tall drink of water who sings "Cool?"

Action is the smaller darkhaired one who is hot-headed. In real life he was married to Chita Rivera who I think was the original Anita in the stage version.  the guy who sings Cool is Ice who may have dubbed some of Russ Tamblyn's part in the Jet Song.

• Love 1
(edited)

"Ice" didn't seem to have much of a career after, which kind of surprises me. (He also died relatively young at 52. I looked him up after watching. LOL.) He was pretty damn commanding in what little screentime and dialogue he had. I guess he mostly stuck to dancing and theater. I did check his Wikipedia page and apparently he was openly gay? That would make sense, then. Shame- he really did have screen presence.

The other thing I noticed in the screening is that there was a blond guy who looked vaguely like Alexander Skarsgard, but normal height. He was a background dancer and one of the Jets and I don't think he got any lines. Kind of a funny random thing.

8 hours ago, Constant Viewer said:

I've heard this too and I prefer the movie's version with the lighthearted Officer Krupke coming before all the drama. It makes more sense to me that way. 

Yeah, I saw my high school's production in 2002 and it still confused the heck out of me. "Cool" absolutely makes sense as a song that the characters would see to get a hold on their emotions after their leader dies.

If it true, it might be bitter grapes because apparently Leonard Bernstein, Arthur Laurents, and Stephen Sondheim were banned from the set and apparently hated the movie. Which is kind of a shame.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1