Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 10/31/2021 at 12:58 PM, bankerchick said:

OK, I am watching Christmas In Evergreen: Letters to Santa 

I've watched every single Christmas in Evergreen movie and can't recall much about any of them. Was the most recent one (last year) involving two side characters (both African America) who get together?  I know these Hallmark movies are pretty generic, but this series must be more generic than usual since I have so little memory of any of them.

6 hours ago, Dani said:

I went in with low expectations but ended up loving Christmas Sail. Katee Sackoff and Patrick Sabongui were very good together but it was really Terry O’Quinn that raised it above the average Hallmark movie. It felt like one of the more complete movies with multiple believable relationships. The little girl was also very good. Hallmark is nailing their supporting casts this year.  

Plus another movie where the man realizes he can move to the city rather than the woman giving up her entire life. 

Seeing the previews for Christmas Sail reminds me to ask here:

What's the most "I canNOT believe this actor/actress is doing Hallmark movies" reaction you have?  For me, it has to be TOQ because I've seen him in so many other things where he plays the hardass, strict, UNlovey dovey type, so I can't see him in Hallmark stuff.  Hallmark is known for sweet, syrupy, saccharine, unrealistic movies. I can more likely picture Starbuck (aka Katee Sackhoff) than TOQ.   [I give a pass to Michael Hogan (aka Colonel Tigh) doing Hallmark because he's Canadian and these Hallmark movies seem to have majority Canadian actors/actresses.]

How about you?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, norcalgal said:

What's the most "I canNOT believe this actor/actress is doing Hallmark movies" reaction you have?  For me, it has to be TOQ because I've seen him in so many other things where he plays the hardass, strict, UNlovey dovey type, so I can't see him in Hallmark stuff.  Hallmark is known for sweet, syrupy, saccharine, unrealistic movies. I can more likely picture Starbuck (aka Katee Sackhoff) than TOQ.   [I give a pass to Michael Hogan (aka Colonel Tigh) doing Hallmark because he's Canadian and these Hallmark movies seem to have majority Canadian actors/actresses.]

How about you?

Ooh, great question! Right now, Christopher Lloyd is that actor for me. I know his work spans a lot of different genres, and that he and William Shatner (who's another one of those actors, come to think of it) were in a Hallmark Hall of Fame Christmas movie a few years ago. But Christopher Lloyd just seems so far above the level of actor who shows up in "regular" Hallmark movies (oy, I'm such a snob). However, I cannot WAIT to see his new movie next week. I love the movies that have a touch of magic, and even if it's not great, he'll class up the joint.  

• Love 2

For me the most surprising (and rewarding) one was Henry Winkler in Most Wonderful Time of the Year.  The entire story had a great, unusual energy, but his really led the thing  Also, Warren Christie brought a great level of attitude to his role, which fit in great.  Unfortunately, everything else I've seen Christie in (Hallmark-wise) has given him a pretty vapid character.  But, Winkler all the way  He's got so much else going on in his career, it was surprising to see him doing this - but I'm tickled that he did. 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Chippings said:

For me the most surprising (and rewarding) one was Henry Winkler in Most Wonderful Time of the Year.  The entire story had a great, unusual energy, but his really led the thing  Also, Warren Christie brought a great level of attitude to his role, which fit in great.  Unfortunately, everything else I've seen Christie in (Hallmark-wise) has given him a pretty vapid character.  But, Winkler all the way  He's got so much else going on in his career, it was surprising to see him doing this - but I'm tickled that he did. 

That’s one of my all time favorite Christmas movies.   Winkler brings such great energy and humor and the leads have so much chemistry.

• Love 5

What’s Hallmark’s Hangup?

Question: Why is it the Hallmark channels have no problem with murder, yet have a huge problem with both coarse language and intimacy, even the suggestion of intimacy? I mean you can kill someone, but don’t say “Damn” while you’re doing it. Or God forbid that a couple, even a married one, even hints at having sex. I guess all those children we see on Hallmark are pod people. — Alan, Orlando

Matt Roush: OK, this made me laugh. I have rarely heard anyone complaining about the lack of vulgarity or explicit content on TV. Hallmark prides itself on being a safe haven for those who decry the coarsening of language and sexual content on prime time and elsewhere. Yes, there’s murder in their cozy mystery movies, but as my mom used to say about Murder, She Wrote back in the day, they tend to be “nice” murders, rarely if ever graphic. There’s plenty of opportunities to gross yourself out elsewhere, and my main beef with Hallmark product is its sameness and predictability-which is also what many of its fans crave. But again, thank you for giving me a smile for the day.

I laughed when I read this question on TV Insider's "Ask Matt" column today.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Chippings said:

Yes, Henry Winkler was the reason this movie was better than it should have been (the female character was sort of bitchy).  

On 11/1/2021 at 8:37 PM, Chippings said:

For me the most surprising (and rewarding) one was Henry Winkler in Most Wonderful Time of the Year.  The entire story had a great, unusual energy, but his really led the thing  Also, Warren Christie brought a great level of attitude to his role, which fit in great.  Unfortunately, everything else I've seen Christie in (Hallmark-wise) has given him a pretty vapid character. 

If you haven't already, you might want to check out the Christmas In July movie starring Warren Christie called Crashing Through The Snow.  It was downright sexy for a Hallmark movie.

For me, I think there's the pre-Hallmark Christmas movie marathon and post.  Then Henry Winkler movie was back when they only did five or so movies a year for Christmas. Can you believe it?  But because there was more opportunity for a movie to stand out, I think they got some interesting actors. 

I think my biggest surprise was Rupert Penry-Jones for A Crown For Christmas.  It's not like he's a major star but he's a working British actor.  It was surprising to see him randomly show up in one of Hallmark's million movies.  But because he did, he helped make it one I like to watch every year.

• Love 4

Has anyone watched Christmas in Montana?  Is it worth plowing through?  The reason I ask is I have it on my PVR but after seeing the heroine walking in "snow" in her high heels all I can think is a sarcastic "Sure, Jan".    I did like the premise and the two leads though.

1 hour ago, SusannahM said:

Has anyone watched Christmas in Montana?  Is it worth plowing through?  The reason I ask is I have it on my PVR but after seeing the heroine walking in "snow" in her high heels all I can think is a sarcastic "Sure, Jan".    I did like the premise and the two leads though.

I've seen it a couple of times, but I'm a major Colin Ferguson fangirl who will watch him in anything. I'm not sure I'd have watched if it had a different male lead, but it was pleasant enough. Lots of pretty holiday decorations.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 1

The Christmas Promise: I cringed so much I was in actual danger of having my face stick like that.  I didn't like anything about it, which was disappointing because I really liked Torrey in Write Before Christmas.  

• Love 2
17 hours ago, SusannahM said:

Keep your eye out for the part when she tells her teenage daughter that it is bed time, when it isn't even dark outside yet.

• LOL 6
17 hours ago, SusannahM said:

The story is nice, the scenery is nice and the secondary characters are good, but the two leads are so boring together. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Miss Bones said:

Keep your eye out for the part when she tells her teenage daughter that it is bed time, when it isn't even dark outside yet.

Especially when we return to standard time, it's dark at 5:00 p.m.  So she's telling her teenage daughter to go to bed at essentially 4:30 in the afternoon.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Miss Bones said:

I just saw Christmas in Evergreen (the first one) and it's actually one I like quite a bit but there's a part that reminds me of this - they meet in the morning or early afternoon at the latest and decide to go skating - the very next scene they are skating and it's night time.  That was an awfully long trip to the skating rink!!

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, GeorgiaRai said:

The Christmas Promise: I cringed so much I was in actual danger of having my face stick like that.  I didn't like anything about it, which was disappointing because I really liked Torrey in Write Before Christmas.  

Same here.  I gave it a try because I really like Torrey and I loved Write Before Christmas, but The Christmas Promise was not good at all.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Just watched Christmas at Holly Lodge - not sure how I missed seeing this one up to now.  Really liked it.  Definitely a 'pull at the heartstrings' one but it worked for me.  And I just knew that guy HAD to be a Bridges!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, roughing it said:
4 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

Especially when we return to standard time, it's dark at 5:00 p.m.  So she's telling her teenage daughter to go to bed at essentially 4:30 in the afternoon.

Like in Christmas Getaway when the Dad tells the daughter it's time to start getting ready for the Nutcracker that evening, as he stands in front of a clock showing the time as approx. 12 o'clock.  Since the kid is young and it appears light outside, I can only assume it takes them 8 hours to get ready.

Note to Hallmark characters who stumble upon their potential love interest interacting with a purported rival - if they are hugging in the middle of the street, they are just friends.  Couples would kiss.  Or hold hands.  Hugging is platonic.  At least it was before Covid.  Of course I realize hugging is not always platonic, but if you and I are talking and then we hug before going our own way, ours is not a romantic relationship.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3

So I have Sharing Christmas playing in the background while I do other things. Not quite sure of everything that's happening in this plot but our couple has a conversation about the heroine modernizing or not modernizing her business.

Evidently, she doesn't even have a website because blah blah blah tradition, the true meaning of Christmas and as she later states, the shop is special. (Why would this be a thing to be proud of?) It just made me think about all the little businesses in the Hallmark-verse that probably closed during the pandemic because why have a website or cater to your customers.

On the other hand, Little Barnesworth, USA where most of these stories take place, probably didn't shut down at all because ...freedom.

Edited by Your Grace
  • Love 4

I am watching Sense, Sensibility and Snowmen and enjoying it but who in the seven circles of hell did Kimberly Sustad's make-up???????  I've seen her in lots of Hallmark stuff and she never looks like this.  

• LOL 4
On 11/6/2021 at 1:06 AM, Your Grace said:

So I have Sharing Christmas playing in the background while I do other things. Not quite sure of everything that's happening in this plot but our couple has a conversation about the heroine modernizing or not modernizing her business.

Evidently, she doesn't even have a website because blah blah blah tradition, the true meaning of Christmas and as she later states, the shop is special. (Why would this be a thing to be proud of?) It just made me think about all the little businesses in the Hallmark-verse that probably closed during the pandemic because why have a website or cater to your customers.

On the other hand, Little Barnesworth, USA where most of these stories take place, probably didn't shut down at all because ...freedom.

Yeah, it really is surprising how many people in Hallmarktown, USA make a good living running a Christmas ornament store or baking the best cookies in town, but seemingly have no way for people to shop online or a set-up for shipping their product.  I caught a bit of the one with CCB in smalltown Alaska yesterday and, once again, was impressed that a town in the wilds with a population of maybe 1000 has a busy coffeeshop, open virtually 24/7 as well as a general store with oodles of stylish winter clothing.  Yet, Amazon doesn't deliver there,  Good thing the guy with the sleigh lives there, too.

Watched Next Stop Christmas last night and really enjoyed it.  It had a warmth and humor that is rare in these things and was just different enough to keep my attention.  Christopher Lloyd was a gem and the story was a bit of a riff on Back to the Future, with a train instead of a Delorean, so it was a nice callback.  There was a little Groundhog Day tossed in for good measure.  And, much to my surprise, Erika Slezak in a supporting role!  Can't go wrong with Victoria Lord in the cast!  Anyway, it was a pleasant way to spend a Saturday evening and I would watch it again.

Spoiler

I was a little confused at the end, though, where she met up with her OTL at the place they had agreed upon 10 years earlier when she time traveled and he acted like they'd had an ongoing relationship over those 10 years, mentioning  some gathering they'd attended which confused her since she hadn't been living in that timeline?   Or something.  Maybe I should watch that bit again.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Watched Next Stop Christmas last night and really enjoyed it.  It had a warmth and humor that is rare in these things and was just different enough to keep my attention.  Christopher Lloyd was a gem and the story was a bit of a riff on Back to the Future, with a train instead of a Delorean, so it was a nice callback.  There was a little Groundhog Day tossed in for good measure.  And, much to my surprise, Erika Slezak in a supporting role!  Can't go wrong with Victoria Lord in the cast!  Anyway, it was a pleasant way to spend a Saturday evening and I would watch it again.

I agree with you 100%, @Rootbeer! I might even say it's my favorite of the Christmas movie season so far. And I agree about Erika Slezak; it took me a few minutes to figure out who it was, but once I did I enjoyed Aunt Myrt even more. 

And re: your spoiler, I may have been reading into it too much, but seemed like it was all starting to come back to her as they talked. Something about the way she mentioned their friend David's name gave me that impression. Maybe her memory was filling in the void? That's what I decided to go with, anyway. Heck, it's a movie about magic, so why not? I know that explanation might not work for everyone, but it works for me. 

Now I'm excited to see Open By Christmas next week with Erica Durance and Alison Sweeney. I love Erica Durance, and she's not on TV often enough IMO. Also, the "best friends solving a mystery" is something a little different for Hallmark.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 5
On 11/4/2021 at 2:06 PM, SusannahM said:

Just watched Christmas at Holly Lodge - not sure how I missed seeing this one up to now.  Really liked it.  Definitely a 'pull at the heartstrings' one but it worked for me.  And I just knew that guy HAD to be a Bridges!

Yes. Also, Rizzoli’s little brother. Wonder why he hasn’t done more?

4 hours ago, kirinan said:

I agree with you 100%, @Rootbeer! I might even say it's my favorite of the Christmas movie season so far. And I agree about Erika Slezak; it took me a few minutes to figure out who it was, but once I did I enjoyed Aunt Myrt even more. 

And re: your spoiler:

Reveal spoiler

I may have been reading into it too much, but seemed like it was all starting to come back to her as they talked. Something about the way she mentioned their friend David's name gave me that impression. Maybe her memory was filling in the void? That's what I decided to go with, anyway. Heck, it's a movie about magic, so why not? I know that explanation might not work for everyone, but it works for me. 

I really liked Next Stop Christmas too. It was a good cast and seemed different than the standard Hallmark movie.

I had the same thought about the ending. 

Spoiler

That she was slowly getting back her memories of the changed timeline. And that they had plans to meet at the hotel that they'd made again/more recently than 10 years ago. Which was nice, because when she made plans to meet him in ten years I thought it was the same ending as the one last year where the woman traveled back in time via a carousel, and told a guy to wait for her. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

I caught a bit of the one with CCB in smalltown Alaska yesterday and, once again, was impressed that a town in the wilds with a population of maybe 1000 has a busy coffeeshop, open virtually 24/7 as well as a general store with oodles of stylish winter clothing.  Yet, Amazon doesn't deliver there,  Good thing the guy with the sleigh lives there, too

Funny (didn’t want you to think your following comments were taken lightly). That was Hallmark, doing fantasy, but I liked the time-travel one she did better. 

1 minute ago, Daff said:

Funny (didn’t want you to think your following comments were taken lightly). That was Hallmark, doing fantasy, but I liked the time-travel one she did better. 

The one where she went back to the 1940's?  I liked that one, too.  I found the Alaska one to be sort of meh.

• Love 1
On 11/1/2021 at 5:45 PM, norcalgal said:

I've watched every single Christmas in Evergreen movie and can't recall much about any of them. Was the most recent one (last year) involving two side characters (both African America) who get together?  I know these Hallmark movies are pretty generic, but this series must be more generic than usual since I have so little memory of any of them.

How about you?

Not so unbelievable, but just saw an ad for next weekend (other “mystery” channel) for a movie with two former USA actors: Bruce Campbell and Peter Gallagher. Everybody wants work. Somehow these productions are moving forward!

1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

The one where she went back to the 1940's?  I liked that one, too.  I found the Alaska one to be sort of meh.

I get what you mean. The Alaska one did fall short. I don’t know if all the secrecy that was highly telegraphed from the beginning did it (it was trying for humor, but…) or whether it was the repetitive “groundhog day” scenarios that killed it. The 40s one WAS magical, mostly due to Skerrit and Everet!

Edited by Daff
13 hours ago, kirinan said:

And re: your spoiler, I may have been reading into it too much, but seemed like it was all starting to come back to her as they talked. Something about the way she mentioned their friend David's name gave me that impression. Maybe her memory was filling in the void? That's what I decided to go with, anyway. Heck, it's a movie about magic, so why not? I know that explanation might not work for everyone, but it works for me. 

That’s exactly what it was. Which makes sense once they showed that her family’s life had changed. Love Strikes Twice went with the same ending. I think it would have been clearer if they had included a line where she lets him know that she just returned from the past the way Love Strikes Twice did. That really my only criticism of the movie which was really well done. 

Watching Gingerbread Miracle right now.  Pretty standard Hallmark fare.  The good is the extra romances among several couples not just the main one but even so I am finding it drags.  The thing I really notice though and takes me right out of the story, such as it is, is that every single person's kitchen that they show is huge.   Well except for the garage apartment that looks like it could have stepped out of House Beautiful.  The focus on careers and getting ahead when they are so obviously already all incredibly well to do is a bit much!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I watched The Santa Stakeout and Coyote Creek Christmas this weekend. 

I liked The Santa Stakeout.  It was fun to have a Christmas mystery-- I wish they would do more!  Also, I thought the whole love/hate trope with the leads actually worked in this one.  They were both being playfully sarcastic with one another; it wasn't just the woman-being-bitchy-for-no-apparent-reason trope.  I like Tamera Mowry (I liked her movie last year also, Christmas Comes Twice--which I have already rewatched this year) and I always enjoy Paul Campbell.  I thought they had good comedic timing with each other, and we all know that "comedy" is not exactly one of Hallmark's strengths.  I giggled out loud a few times.  I also said "Eww, that's disgusting" out loud, when she explained that "Christmas Coffee" is coffee with cinnamon and cocoa added. 🤢  On that sort of note, I did also have a nitpicky/scratching-my-head moment when they went to a restaurant, and someone said "The tasting flights here are SO good!"  Tasting flights are always different, depending on what flavors that you are sampling.  So you really would just say "Their _____ is so good, and you can do tasting flights to try them".  It just reminded me of one of those "Wait--What?" moments that the What the Hallmark Podcast guys would bring up.

The writers' room of Coyote Creek Christmas must have said "Let's remake Let It Snow, but reverse the genders, and add an insufferable child!"  Even down to the the 'Christmas Around the World' theme that the lodge was doing; the lodge in Let It Snow did the same thing.  Ryan Paevy is always pretty wooden, IMO, but the child make him look better.  I always enjoy Janel Parish, but as someone that watched her on Pretty Little Liars, it's always a little weird seeing her playing a nice girl.  Minus the child, it wasn't TERRIBLE, but I would not rewatch it.

Edited by Miss Bones
Forgot something
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, SusannahM said:

The thing I really notice though and takes me right out of the story, such as it is, is that every single person's kitchen that they show is huge. 

Quoting myself to say they finally showed (or at least I finally noticed them showing) the outsides of these houses.  No way do the relatively modest (as in not McMansion) houses have room for those outsize designer kitchens.  Why is this bothering me so much?????

Edited by SusannahM
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SusannahM said:

Watching Gingerbread Miracle right now.  Pretty standard Hallmark fare.  The good is the extra romances among several couples not just the main one but even so I am finding it drags.  The thing I really notice though and takes me right out of the story, such as it is, is that every single person's kitchen that they show is huge.   Well except for the garage apartment that looks like it could have stepped out of House Beautiful.  The focus on careers and getting ahead when they are so obviously already all incredibly well to do is a bit much!

I didn’t find the kitchens unrealistic considering they were all owned by bakers and event planners. 

3 minutes ago, Dani said:

I didn’t find the kitchens unrealistic considering they were all owned by bakers and event planners. 

That's a fair point about the content of the kitchens but it's the size that drove me crazy.  I guess the short answer is they have to make the rooms big to accomodate filming but it still annoyed me!

32 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

That's a fair point about the content of the kitchens but it's the size that drove me crazy. 

To me the size is nearly as important as the content for people who are serious about baking or cooking. I would be willing to have smaller other rooms for a larger kitchen.

Houses are often unrealistic in these movies but I didn’t think that was the case here. Particularly since the kitchen were all in houses owned by people with very successful careers. The only characters without stable careers were living with their parents. 

Edited by Guest
17 hours ago, Artsda said:

I liked Next Stop Christmas. The actors were different and great polar Express like story. 

Eh, I didn't see much romantic chemistry between Angie and Will Horton (sorry, Chandler Massey  😁).  They really did have a friend vibe to me. The ex was somewhat of a douche (always on the phone) but not as bad as years ago when Hallmark made zero effort to hide what a JERK the current/former boyfriend was to contrast him to the show's male lead.

Anyone else feel it's AMAZING how Lea Thompson pretty much looks like she did in Back to the Future?!  And her skin looked so clear and smooth.  Wish I could have her aging genes.

3 hours ago, SusannahM said:

Regarding all the kitchen discussions...I think it's clear that Hallmark movies are aspirational. When you watch, it's food porn, clothes porn and house porn (kitchen, bedrooms and bathrooms). Everything is always clean, spacious, updated, gorgeous, etc. Nothing looks rundown, dirty, outdated. The occupation of the characters doesn't seem to matter because the characters live these affluent lives/lifestyle. Hallmark movies are definitely works of fiction.

• Love 5
On 11/7/2021 at 6:17 AM, Rootbeer said:

Yeah, it really is surprising how many people in Hallmarktown, USA make a good living running a Christmas ornament store or baking the best cookies in town, but seemingly have no way for people to shop online or a set-up for shipping their product.  I caught a bit of the one with CCB in smalltown Alaska yesterday and, once again, was impressed that a town in the wilds with a population of maybe 1000 has a busy coffeeshop, open virtually 24/7 as well as a general store with oodles of stylish winter clothing.  Yet, Amazon doesn't deliver there,  Good thing the guy with the sleigh lives there, too.

Reveal spoiler

I was a little confused at the end, though, where she met up with her OTL at the place they had agreed upon 10 years earlier when she time traveled and he acted like they'd had an ongoing relationship over those 10 years, mentioning  some gathering they'd attended which confused her since she hadn't been living in that timeline?   Or something.  Maybe I should watch that bit again.

Oh yes, this drives me nuts. I realize it's fantasy but come on people. There is one called Christmas Land which bugs me first because they go on and on about how horrible NYC is and how they can't believe that anyone can live there and small towns are better. But then we are supposed to believe that all of these people who work in a seasonal business somehow have hundreds of thousands of dollars just sitting around!

• Love 4
On 11/2/2021 at 10:21 AM, kirinan said:

Question: Why is it the Hallmark channels have no problem with murder, yet have a huge problem with both coarse language and intimacy, even the suggestion of intimacy? I mean you can kill someone, but don’t say “Damn” while you’re doing it. Or God forbid that a couple, even a married one, even hints at having sex.

While there's murder ( I mean, you can't have a Murder & Mystery channel without the aforementioned, it's never shown in graphic detail.  Just a prone body.

I guess my question back would be - does the need for coarse language and intimacy (implied or otherwise) necessary to the plot?  Is there a reason why we can't have a movie void of foul language and sexual situations?  Is it really needed?

As far as the alluded/implied sex, that doesn't bother me - especially between married couples.  I just have an intolerance for certain profanity.  It's like nails on a blackboard to me.  I wanted so bad to watch Yellowstone because I love that type of setting and drama, but having to deal with hearing 'F' this and 'F' that every so often (especially from Kevin Costner!), I had to give up on it.  Yeah, I know cowboys can be crude and rude, but if the writing, pacing and story is spot on, you don't need to punch it it with foul language

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, ctlady said:

As far as the alluded/implied sex, that doesn't bother me - especially between married couples. 

Heck, I'd be happy if these supposedly "fallen madly in love" couples even touched each other.  They don't have to head for a bedroom but, for pete's sake, let them get within 5 feet of each other before the chaste, closed mouth kiss in the last 2 minutes. 

Of course, all of the "falling in love" taked place within a few days of meeting each other so I guess even shaking hands is too early for PDAs.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ctlady said:

Did I post this item you quoted below? I honestly don't remember posting or typing this. Edited to add: Okay, I feel better. I was quoting someone else whose name didn't show up. It must be a quirk of the forum that my name showed up, but for a minute I honestly thought I was losing it, LOL.

ON 11/2/2021 AT 10:21 AM, KIRINAN SAID:

Question: Why is it the Hallmark channels have no problem with murder, yet have a huge problem with both coarse language and intimacy, even the suggestion of intimacy? I mean you can kill someone, but don’t say “Damn” while you’re doing it. Or God forbid that a couple, even a married one, even hints at having sex.

On topic, mild swearing doesn't bother me, and I prefer my intimacy to be what they call "closed-door" in the romance industry, so hints of intimacy don't bother me either. I don't expect either on Hallmark, but I wouldn't mind more kissing earlier in the movie. That chaste last-moment kiss gets old after a while. But...if I want to watch Hallmark, it's part of the deal, so I deal.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Of course, all of the "falling in love" taked place within a few days of meeting

Yeah, this is the cardinal sin of Hallmark movies for me. It's compounded if either/both characters actually says "I love you" to someone they've known for 2 seconds!!!!  🙄

• Love 1
On 10/24/2021 at 3:11 AM, twoods said:

Yes, more Raymond Ablack please. He really sold the sad, longing best friend well especially with those beautiful eyes. I also loved that her ex boyfriends were also diverse, and they showed her Korean family with a little bit of Korean baking in there. 

I was excited to see the actor from Kim’s Convenience as her Appa. Just kept waiting for him to say, “Ok, see you.” 😂

Agree about Raymond Ablack. So pretty. 

One of the exes just asked her to move in. Without talk of marriage! 😮

Edited by DanaMB
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, ctlady said:

I guess my question back would be - does the need for coarse language and intimacy (implied or otherwise) necessary to the plot?  Is there a reason why we can't have a movie void of foul language and sexual situations?  Is it really needed?

I would argue that it is needed for the characters to actually act and talk like normal people. There is middle ground between what we see and swearing. Hallmark avoids even the safe swear alternatives in a way that is unrealistic. I would also say that intimacy should be needed in a romance. Intimacy is so much more than sex. 

1 hour ago, DanaMB said:

I was excited to see the actor from Kim’s Convenience as her Appa. Just kept waiting for him to say, “Ok, see you.” 😂

I loved hearing him called Appa again. Although it sounded to me like his wife was name Jung which kept throwing me off. 

Edited by Guest