Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

But I'm just happy they're making happy skating movies now (I guess we can thank The Cutting Edge). In the 70s and 80s, I think just about every skating movie was tragic. There was Ice Castles, with the skater who went blind, and does anyone remember a TV movie called Champions, A Love Story, about a pairs team that fell in love with each other, and then one of them was killed in a plane crash?

Jimmy McNichol and Joy LeDuc.  I was in 5th grade and I'm pretty sure it aired on CBS on a Friday night.  Why I remember that, I do not know.  I do know I loved it, probably cried like a baby and it would be years until I'd see it again.  For the three bazillion cable channels, I wish someone would get the rights to all the old tv movies that used to be staples on the networks.

Ice Castles is another favorite from my youth and it was, unfortunately, given a terrible remake a few years ago.

Edited by JenMD
spelling counts
  • Love 1

I'm watching Broadcasting Christmas with Melissa Joan Hart, Dean Cain, Jackée Harry, and Cynthia Gibb. The Connecticut woman with the 100-year-old fruitcake is played by Tony Shalhoub's sister (who knew?), and Hart's father is played by the guy who was Larry on Three's Company.

Morning news anchors (who used to date) Hart and Cain are both vying to be the new co-host of a Live with Kelly–type national morning show (opposite Jackée).

Edited by editorgrrl
Added a trailer.
  • Love 1

I'm glad to see the end of the Christmas movies. I watch and enjoy them, but they've become so repetitive. I'm looking forward to the new winter themed movies. 

With the passing of Carrie Fisher, I'm surprised they didn't throw in It's Christmas, Carol this week. It's listed as an On Demand movie, but not on the schedule. I haven't seen it in a year or two. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Stacey1014 said:

With the passing of Carrie Fisher, I'm surprised they didn't throw in It's Christmas, Carol this week.

That one is so much fun, mostly because of Carrie Fisher. I'll have to see if it's OnDemand on my system and maybe watch it tomorrow. I think I had some issues with it (A Christmas Carol doesn't necessarily work as a romance because it's hard to believe anyone would fall in love with someone just one day after that person was a total Scrooge), but it was still a nice switch from the usual holiday movies because Carrie Fisher upped the snark levels by about a thousand percent.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, In2You said:

I agree with so much of the review except I don't recall Andrew Walker's character being the malicious dick that she depicts in this review. Now, it has been a long time since I've seen the movie and only saw it once and maybe I forgot something but it's possible for the movie to be both horrifyingly regressive, as it was, without the lead male being such.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

I really enjoyed A Rose For Christmas. I don't know if it was because the premise was different, loving the Rose parade, or the chemistry between the leads and the other characters, but I loved all of it. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, twoods said:

I really enjoyed A Rose For Christmas. I don't know if it was because the premise was different, loving the Rose parade, or the chemistry between the leads and the other characters, but I loved all of it. 

Yeah, that one was really good. I didn't notice in the credits, but I wonder how much the Tournament of Roses parade was actually involved, like with sponsorship or product placement, or maybe it's that Hallmark is one of their sponsors. The process of building the float seemed similar to what's shown when they do the behind-the-scenes stuff during the parade, and they used a fair amount of parade footage. I think having the climactic event not be at Christmas was a nice switch from the usual Hallmark holiday movies, and it was nice that they were able to show Christmas in a non-snowy climate and still make it look festive without the obvious fake snow. There was a nice cast, and the relationship made a lot of sense. You could imagine that this could work out. Plus, it was the guy having to give up his career, for a change of pace. My one issue was her flipping out about what his boss said he said, when she knew that he'd disliked her at the beginning and that he'd changed his opinion. She should have known he'd probably been negative at some point in the past, so that shouldn't have been a surprise betrayal. They just needed that moment of drama fifteen minutes before the end. You can practically set your watch by the big misunderstanding or moment of betrayal just before the end.

• Love 2

I agree about the misunderstanding as well because they didn't like eachother in the beginning. Plus, I thought she was being then obnoxious one making him have New Years resolutions to change his personality. He was nothing but supportive once he saw how talented she was. Still, it ended up being one of my favorites this season. Looking forward to the next few, and did my eyes deceive me or are Rebecca Romijn and Jerry O'Connell going to be in a movie at the end of the month? I wonder if they will have that real life couple "anti-chemistry" that others have. 

• Love 1
On 1/3/2017 at 7:14 AM, Josette said:

Yes, and her mother was Maggie Evans! (Kathryn Leigh Scott)

And Josette DuPres, as I suspect you know, Josette. :)

Darn it, I missed A Rose for Christmas! I wanted to see that one and forgot to DVR it. I'm guessing I may need to wait until next Christmas to watch it (and it will probably be repeated at least seventeen times), but I'll keep an eye out for it.

• Love 1

For the three bazillion cable channels, I wish someone would get the rights to all the old tv movies that used to be staples on the networks.

I know, right? Some female-centric network needs to buy up those movies of the week and mini-series (Barbara-Taylor Bradford, Sidney Sheldon) I would totally tune in, just to mock the hair and wardrobe!

• Love 5

It was rather hard to find some time ago and I think Lifetime used to show it back in the day. I took a peek at Amazon and noticed the first is sorta reasonably priced but the second was crazily priced. Weird considering the first was the better of the two. Hopefully it comes back on tv so you can catch it there (or maybe on some streaming sites like Hulu? Will have to check...)

I'm watching my first Hailey Dean Mystery: Murder, With Love and am so confused. Hailey was a prosecutor, then we see her as a therapist in a marriage counseling session but the episode write-up says she's now in high demand as an expert witness. How did she get from prosecutor to whatever it is she is now?

2 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

I'm watching my first Hailey Dean Mystery: Murder, With Love and am so confused. Hailey was a prosecutor, then we see her as a therapist in a marriage counseling session but the episode write-up says she's now in high demand as an expert witness. How did she get from prosecutor to whatever it is she is now?

I don't remember specifically all the details but it's kind of based on Nancy Grace's life. But unlike Nancy who became a prosecutor because of her fiance's death, I think Hailey quit being a prosecutor because of her fiance's death.  She then went on to become a psychologist/therapist. (I presume after returning to school.)

Being an expert witness isn't yet another career for her since expert witnesses are called to testify about their expertise in a specific field.  For Hailey, that's probably psychiatry or psychology. 

Of course, as with most things fiction, it's likely they play fast and loose and she could testify on a whole range of topics.

• Love 2

I agree, Stacey1014, especially about the good ending where both women won. I would even go so far as to say I actually kinda loved this movie. I liked all the characters, especially the main character Emily (who kind of reminds me of a young Maria Bello), and I thought the writing was good. There wasn't a ton of overly manufactured drama--although the female coach was a bit of a caricature, but it was tolerable. I thought they did a believable job of moving into, "Hey, why don't you compete?" and I loved that Emily and Nikki had a healthy, affectionate rivalry going, and that even the mom realized how awful she was being when she saw how it affected her daughter. I also really enjoyed the little romance between Hildy and Dave. And that there was no kiss until the very end, so you don't know if things will work out, or they'll get married, or he'll leave town to become a world-famous skating coach--it was a "Happy for Now" ending and the rest of it is left up to our imaginations, which I like.

Oh, and the skating was pretty good, too, although I've never seen that get-down-practically-flat-on-the-ice-and-skate-on-your-edge-on-one-leg move in competition. It looked more like an exhibition/ice show move to me. But the stand-in skaters were good, and even though as always in skating movies the music they skated to was a bit cheesy, I worked past that. I'm guessing Andrew Walker played hockey growing up, because he skates like he's very comfortable on the ice. I looked him up and saw he was Canadian, so I'm standing by that guess. Living across the river from Windsor, Ontario, I know a fair number of Canadians, and I'm pretty sure it's a national requirement. :) 

The one thing that made this Michigan-born-and-raised girl squee out loud? In one of the scenes where Emily and Spencer were standing outside by a car, it actually had Pure Michigan plates--the very same plates my husband has on his car. I thought that was a good touch of continuity and showed that they paid attention to the details. Great job on this one, Hallmark! 

ETA: I do agree with you, Irlandesa, that the kiss was a little oddly placed. But I appreciated that the romance didn't take over the main story, so I was okay with the somewhat awkward ending.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 2

I watched both the Rose Parade movie and Love on Ice.  I liked the leads in the rose parade movie but kind of got bored with it. 

Love On Ice was pretty delightful all the way through.  There was decent movement. I liked the secondary characters.  The writing was pretty decent. I especially liked the little things in the writing like when Hildy said something to her cook like "now these are fresh right?" as kind of a throwaway line. 

But I think the ending landed a bit awkwardly.  Andrew Walker looked great in this movie and he and Julie Berman had very nice chemistry.  Their development was paced well and I loved that one of the big movements was the two of them holding hands.  But the movie worked better with the medal ceremony as an ending than with the skate dance and kiss.  That felt tacked on. I think it would have worked much better earlier in the movie.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

Love on the Ice was very good. Julie Berman makes a great romantic lead- she has such an easy chemistry with the cast, especially Andrew. Hope she's in more movies. I liked seeing her on Chicago Med after growing up with her on GH-too bad she left that show.

• Love 1
On 1/10/2017 at 2:42 PM, kirinan said:

Oh, and Jewel. Who I didn't know acted. So I don't know if she's any good.

She was in Rides with the Devil, that Ang Lee movie about the raid on Lawrence KS during the Civil War. The thing I remember most about that movie was my mom leaning over to me in the theater when the raiders were cresting the hill and saying, "Look out, Heather!" My sister was going to grad school at KU and living in Lawrence when the movie was released, so I had a hard time trying to keep from laughing when Mom said that. From the little I remember about the movie, Jewel was rather bland and not very good.

So Hallmark is making a movie series based off Al Roker's book series

“The Midnight Show Murders” Al Roker Mystery Franchise 
This mystery wheel franchise revolves around a fictional TV morning show. Billy Blessing is the food anchor for the show and owner of a successful local bistro. After the mysterious death of one of the network execs, Billy’s life takes a turn as he becomes the main suspect in the murder investigation and he is forced to investigate to clear his name. Billy solves a new mystery in each movie. Based on the mystery books written by Al Roker.

• Love 1

Oh it's a book series?  Whew.  I read about that earlier today and I thought they were just randomly partnering with people to create mystery series. 

Now casting will be interesting for this. I haven't read the series but I would imagine Billy Blessing is not intended to be white.

Also interesting is the fact that they're going to air five new movies around Valentine's Day including one Saturday, Sunday (HM&M), Monday and Tuesday--the actual day.

Not interesting?  Tonight's movie.  Although, again I thought the leads were decent in need a movie with a little more substance to it.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Oh it's a book series?  Whew.  I read about that earlier today and I thought they were just randomly partnering with people to create mystery series. 

Now casting will be interesting for this. I haven't read the series but I would imagine Billy Blessing is not intended to be white.

Also interesting is the fact that they're going to air five new movies around Valentine's Day including one Saturday, Sunday (HM&M), Monday and Tuesday--the actual day.

Not interesting?  Tonight's movie.  Although, again I thought the leads were decent in need a movie with a little more substance to it.

Well I haven't read the books either but I heard the show in the books was clearly based off the Today show but Hallmark is comparing it to Home & Family so I'm sure they make Billy white.   The Kathy Lee seriea sounds so random.  And it's a little odd they never mention God or Jesus in their Christmas movies but are doing a faith based show.

I'm watching the Hailey Dean Mystery, Murder... which is the only description given on the guide to Dish. I just finished watching a couple of the mysteries starring Lori Laughlin which were pretty well done, considering they were Hallmark Mysteries. However, this one with Kellie Martin is just awful. The plot, the ACTING (especially Kellie whom I've enjoyed in other programs), etc. I had to look up her bio to see how old she was because she looks like she's in her 50's. She's actually only 41. Good for her for not following the Botox/costmetic surgery route trying to look 20 years younger but she's too old to play this part. And the hair. Oh, Lordy--that hair. Sorry to be so shallow but when the story isn't compelling and intriguing, I tend to fixate on the shallow end of the pool. 

• Love 3

What IS the deal with the women's hair on these Mystery Movies?  It seems they all have soap opera hair.  The latest series...with Jewel?..the commercials with her hair are such a distraction.  I thought she was a singer; she is an actress, too?  I digress...at first I thought the long hair was a wig.  Have the hairdressers ever heard of chin-length bobs?  Lori Laughlin (is that  her last name) on the Garage Sale mysteries has nice hair; I also love the bun the her gorgeous assistant sports.  But the rest of them?  Like the actresses (don't know about Jewel, haven't seen her) - they are all attractive but the hairstyles sure could use an upgrade.  Is it just me?  And I would love more Gourmet Detective.

• Love 3

I wondered about her hair, too, Kemper. It looked like a bad wig, but though I know who Jewel is, that's about it--I don't listen to her music and am not that familiar with what she looks like.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a big mystery fan, so I don't have very high standards for a mystery plot. I enjoyed the movie as a whole, but I do suspect 90% of that was Colin Ferguson for me. I think as an actress, Jewel's about on the level of a beginning drama student; you could see her working to emote in the parts where she was supposed to be more emotional. But I thought in the breezier, more casual scenes, she was very likable. I guess I'd sum it up by saying she has potential. I saw the commercial that announced the next Fixer-Upper movie in April, and I'll definitely watch it. (Of course, again, Colin F = automatic watch). I think I might like to read the books, too.

So, not a classic, by any means, but a pleasant enough two hours.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, kirinan said:

I wondered about her hair, too, Kemper. It looked like a bad wig, but though I know who Jewel is, that's about it--I don't listen to her music and am not that familiar with what she looks like.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a big mystery fan, so I don't have very high standards for a mystery plot. I enjoyed the movie as a whole, but I do suspect 90% of that was Colin Ferguson for me. I think as an actress, Jewel's about on the level of a beginning drama student; you could see her working to emote in the parts where she was supposed to be more emotional. But I thought in the breezier, more casual scenes, she was very likable. I guess I'd sum it up by saying she has potential. I saw the commercial that announced the next Fixer-Upper movie in April, and I'll definitely watch it. (Of course, again, Colin F = automatic watch). I think I might like to read the books, too.

So, not a classic, by any means, but a pleasant enough two hours.

Also some pretty scenery.

I've wanted to read the books as well. I have read a similar series by the same author, but it seems like all the libraries like to carry different series or something. So when I searched for the Fixer Upper series I couldn't find it.

1 hour ago, VMepicgrl said:

I've wanted to read the books as well. I have read a similar series by the same author, but it seems like all the libraries like to carry different series or something. So when I searched for the Fixer Upper series I couldn't find it.

Was it the Bibliophile mysteries you read, VMepicgrl? Those also look pretty good.

39 minutes ago, kirinan said:

Was it the Bibliophile mysteries you read, VMepicgrl? Those also look pretty good.

Yes, that was the other series. I need to go back and see which book I got up to. I don't think I've read all of the available ones yet.

Meanwhile, I found the description for the Fixer Upper that went along with the movie. As usual, they change up a lot of stuff, and we can tell from the description alone http://katecarlisle.com/this-old-homicide.php

Who knows how much more was changed from the actual content of the book?

I'm about 99% certain that was a wig on Jewel in the Fixer Upper mystery - and it was a distractingly terrible wig at that. Glad I'm not the only person sidelined by the bad hair in these Hallmark movies lately.

I didn't know what to expect from Jewel as an actress (though her singles from the 90s are still lodged in the depths of my brain, unfortunately, and every single ad for this movie brought them all flooding back) but she wasn't bad. Not great, but not painful to watch.

But I will watch anything with Colin Ferguson because he's awesome. Why hasn't he been snapped up to star in his own show somewhere? It's a crime, people, a crime! I even stop FFing to watch those silly Maytag ads when I see him in them. He's the best. So I guess I will have to watch more Fixer Upper movies if he's in them.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

But I will watch anything with Colin Ferguson because he's awesome. Why hasn't he been snapped up to star in his own show somewhere? It's a crime, people, a crime! I even stop FFing to watch those silly Maytag ads when I see him in them. He's the best. So I guess I will have to watch more Fixer Upper movies if he's in them.

You are my soul mate, Maelstrom! My husband (who is aware of my crush on CF, but doesn't care because he likes him) laughs at me because when those commercials come on I'll stop whatever I'm doing to watch. And I miss Eureka more than just about any cancelled TV show ever. I would love it if he became a go-to guy for Hallmark. I only watched the last season of Cedar Cove because of him, I really enjoyed the Christmas movie he just did with Lori Loughlin for Hallmark, and now this. I know I say this a lot, but please, Hallmark--more Colin!

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 2

I could gush about CF all day. Eureka wasn't necessarily one of my favorite shows, but I just loved watching CF in it. And I loved him on Haven for the season he was on - he played the most likable, affable bad guy I can ever recall seeing on a show. And in all of the interviews and such I've seen/read over the years, he always seems like a genuinely nice guy. For example, I came across a little promotional video of him at some point during the Eureka years where someone was teaching him and Felicia Day how to crochet (no idea why, but I digress). FD kind of made fun of the whole thing and did a half-assed job, but CF was clearly into it and gave it his best shot. He's awesome.

I think it was right after Eureka ended that I read somewhere online about a pilot he'd done that wasn't picked up - I forget what it was about now, but at the time I was incredibly disappointed it wasn't continued because it sounded like it'd be a great show, especially with him as the star. So if all I can get of him is Hallmark movies, then I'm with you - Hallmark, more Colin please!

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Kemper said:

And I would love more Gourmet Detective.

According to a recent Hallmark press release, there is more coming.  More of all of the mysteries, in fact.

I usually like the mysteries but Fixer Upper didn't work for me.  But then the first Garage Sale Mystery didn't work  for me either but I felt it got better as the series went on.  Part of it was Jewel but I think it was mostly due to the writing because I don't require a lot when it comes to acting here.

• Love 2

I'm watching the Fixer Upper movie now, & I see what everyone means about the wig. That is seriously bad. If they wanted to give her more hair, they should have gone with extensions.

EDITED: Still watching & ugh, they just had to have her sing. If this is a series, are they going to come up with excuses in every movie so that she can sing?

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:43 AM, VMepicgrl said:

Also some pretty scenery.

Request that your library buys it. They probably will since its now a Hallmark series.

eta: So far I like the baking and library/murder club ones best but I liked both book series and authors Joanne Fluke and Charlene Harris. They are the only series I've read of all the Hallmark mysteries.

The Kellie Martin, mystery woman series doesn't make any sense because she left a career and is now in another and both take years of schooling. But beyond being annoyed by her back story the series doesn't hold my interest and the source author is unlikeable. Where does her money come from because she seems wealthy?

The gourmet detective series is a weak Castle imitation and is just ok. 

Its raining out so I plan on curling up and watching the flower shop series for the first time today. I generally like Brook Shields so will probably enjoy it.

Edited by Almost 3000
  • Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:24 PM, GaT said:

I'm watching the Fixer Upper movie now, & I see what everyone means about the wig. That is seriously bad. If they wanted to give her more hair, they should have gone with extensions.

They put a weird long and distracting braid on Candace Cameron Bure because the book heroine had one and was a bit nerdy. Thank goodness that its disappeared in the following movies.

• Love 1

Did anyone watch the birthday wish movie that was on this weekend? I thought it was pretty girl.  The lead girl was pretty charming. Her lobe interest I thought came on too strong at the beginning but I grew to like him as the friendship between them developed. Her boyfriend was not a complete jerk but we did see enough cracks in the relationship that I didn't feel like he was unnecessarilyjilted.  It was dumb how they made him suddenly decide he wanted to he a movie star when he was so career focused before that. 

I watched it and somewhat dozed off because I had an emotionally draining weekend but I thought it was pretty decent as well. I liked the two leads.  They had good chemistry and their relationship developed at a good pace.  I even liked how she indicated she was interested but basically told him she'd have to talk with her boyfriend first before pursing anything with someone else.

I did find it kind of funny that, at the fire pit, the older couple joined them.  Then it seemed like they disappeared while they were having the conversation about whether or not to pursue something.  And they reappeared again later.

And it was a little annoying that he mistook her accepting the proposal and went to the extreme of completely blocking her from responding.

I am trying to get through Birthday Wish because I really enjoy the leads but it's so freaking boring. Is there a point to this story? She wants to get married to douche boyfriend by 30 and is throwing a fit since he's not doing it? Sigh. Maybe I will try the royal movie.

• Love 2

Okay, I loved, loved, LOVED Love Locks. While it could be because I adore Rebecca Romijn, I don't think that was the main reason. I just...loved it. She and Jerry O'Connell had great chemistry (as I expected), Bruce Davison was wonderful, as was the actress who played Katherine, and I thought the girl who played Rebecca's daughter was adorable, as was the young man who played JP. The story was good, and (I thought) well-written. The Paris scenery was lovely. The rival for her affections wasn't a jerk. Everyone acted like adults.

Congratulations, Hallmark, this one hit on all cylinders, as far as I'm concerned!

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 1

I couldn't believe they were touting "Love Locks" as a "Hall of Fame" movie.  To me, it was just another schlocky Romance flick, like every other bad Lifetime/Hallmark made for TV crapfest.  Sorry, Hallmark - you continue to make me roll my eyes and change the channel.

• Love 5

I think it was a Hallmark HoF film because they spent more on it--I believe it was partially filmed on location.

It was just okay for me.  I think they could have done a better job building up the relationship between the leads.  I get that they were in love 20 years ago but I don't understand why they felt they needed to be together now. 

And some of the French accents used on actors who weren't French or French speaking were unnecessary.  Why couldn't Hugo be an American artist living in Paris?  That's very believable.  And JP?  Why not Jack's nephew visiting from Canada or the US?

• Love 4