Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, luvthepros said:
On 12/20/2021 at 4:58 PM, Artsda said:

Tis the season to be merry. The brother had to sleep on the sofa? A house that size only has 2 rooms + Primary room? No way 

I noticed you referred to the master bedroom as "primary room". When did that come about?

There are no racists, sexists or even men who live in my house, but the main bedroom is the 'master.'  That's it, that's all.

20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I probably missed the original discussion, but did you guys all like "The Santa Stakeout"?  Speaking of Paul Campbell!  Now that was good!

No fan of Santa Stakeout.  My favourite Paul Campbell appearance this season was the 30 second cameo in Nine Kittens of Christmas.

I was listening to the Deck the Hallmark podcast about Tis The Season To Be Merry.  They were big fans of the movie, and the writer of the movie was a guest.  It sounds like there were quite a few changes to the movie she wrote and I was liking her until she said of Travis, 'he's a nice change from all of those Canadian accents.'  

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

There are no racists, sexists or even men who live in my house, but the main bedroom is the 'master.'  That's it, that's all.

I’ve seen them called “owner’s suites” in some listings. Which, makes sense, cause my kids aren’t staying in there! 😂

Only watched one movie today, Christmas at Castle Hart.  Let’s just say, my 19 yo so was NOT a fan. 😂😂

• Love 2

Thanks for all who recommended The Christmas House 2, loved it! The first movie was in demand so I was able to watch that as well…. Loved how the family interacted with each other— very realistic— I would love for them to find a way to make a 3rd… best of the season by far (shirtless Travis Van Winkle is 2nd for sure 😀)

• Love 2

I just watched Gingerbread Miracle and really, really enjoyed it.  I loved the easy way of Jon-Michael Ecker who I’d never seen never in anything.  He is certainly handsome and his eyes are so expressive — he has such a warmth about him.  Merritt Patterson also was at her best in this one — engaging without being over-the-top perky and her chemistry with JME was great.  I loved the diversity shown in the bakery and its traditions.  The sweet gingerbread wishes that came true in sometimes unexpected ways was an endearing touch.  I will watch it again.  And I definitely hope to see Jon-Michael again.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, Cetacean said:

The House Hunters programs have all changed to primary as well.  Something about the connotation of the word "master" being racist and sexist.

I'm out of the loop, I guess. I haven't watched HGTV for a long time because I've replaced that TV watching with Hallmark Channel. Thanks for the enlightenment.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, bankerchick said:

No fan of Santa Stakeout.  My favourite Paul Campbell appearance this season was the 30 second cameo in Nine Kittens of Christmas.

I was listening to the Deck the Hallmark podcast about Tis The Season To Be Merry.  They were big fans of the movie, and the writer of the movie was a guest.  It sounds like there were quite a few changes to the movie she wrote and I was liking her until she said of Travis, 'he's a nice change from all of those Canadian accents.'  

Seriously  good grief .  what’s next a master lock, the masters golf tournament, MasterCard  ?

Edited by Diana Berry
  • Love 4

Meet the Vancouver actor who's been in 27 Hallmark movies — usually as Kenny

The movies have sometimes been criticized as being too schmaltzy, something Wong contends with in his other role as an acting coach with Haven Studio.

"[Actors] struggle with the Hallmark genre sometimes. They think it's a little too positive, too happy. I'm reminding these actors who always want to play the drama ... like The Bourne Identity," said Wong. 

"These Hallmark movies are actually more true to real life, I'd say — nice people trying their best given their circumstances."

There is a lot of truth in this.  Yes I criticize the movies for the over the top decorations and etc etc but at their heart I think this is exactly what I like about them and haven't been able to put into words.  They are welcome in my home because basically they are positive stories about nice people.  Corny?  Sure.  But sometimes that's what I want!

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

A Kiss Before Christmas actually made me cry at the end. What wonderful chemistry between James and Teri and it was so sad seeing him forgetting his family. Thanks everyone for recommending this movie!

• Love 10

I'm rewatching a movie I liked last year, "Trading Christmas" from 2011.  It stars Faith Ford, Tom Cavanagh, and Gil Bellows. It's like "The Holiday" and it's by Debbie Macomber.  

I do like this movie, but I had to come here to complain about the daughter of Faith Ford's character.  She is a truly horrible, awful person.  I wish they didn't include this person in the movie.

12 hours ago, SusannahM said:

Thank you!

• Love 5
On 12/6/2021 at 10:06 AM, luvthepros said:
  On 11/14/2021 at 7:46 PM, Chippings said:

Just watched Christmas Family Tree and I share all of the reservations y'all have brought up.  I still think that if the DNA company said there was an error, there was an error.  They were sloppy in reporting it, but I wouldn't be so quick to challenge it from the photo.

I was really sure at the beginning with they variously called her mother "Trish" and "Patty" -- same issue they had in Very Merry Mix Up with Billy and Will, that he was not the

I also watched Christmas Family Tree, the DNA company could have simply left a message that her ancestry was switched with another person and that the error would be corrected after the holiday and that she could see the corrections online then. 

Norwegian wasn't listed as any percentage and her paternal grandmother was from Norway, so that could be the error, but the company was being vague in their message and she jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Loved that the dad checked the validity himself and then told everything to his wife, who behaved like a mature, compassionate adult.

Most unrealistic part, the huge, beautiful apartment in New York City!  Anyway I don't remember anything about Vanessa having an inheritance from her mother or grandmother.

Edited by Blynda
edited to correct typo

Has anyone else listened to the Deck the Hallmark Podcast for 'Tis the Season to Be Merry? They actually had the original writer, Jen Kirkman, on while they reviewed the episode. It was very interesting and gave more of an inside look at the process behind the movies, how things change, etc. 

Funnily enough, something she herself thought was weird about the movie was having Adam sleep on the couch when the house was clearly huge. When she wrote it, she was envisioning a smaller, 3br farmhouse. There were some larger changes as well. 

• Useful 1
On 12/14/2021 at 9:13 AM, absnow54 said:

Jake Epstein is in two Lifetime Movies both airing next Monday. A Christmas Village Romance and Candy Cane Candidate. Annie Clark (Fiona Coyne) has a movie on Lifetime tonight, Ghosts of Christmas Past. And Alicia Dea Josipovic (Bianca DeSousa) has one on Lifetime tomorrow, Secretly Santa. It looks like Stacey Farber (Ellie Nash) is joining the Hallmark fold in January with Butlers in Love.

Just spotted Mrs. Torres' (Degrassi's Drew and Adam's mom) in A Royal Queens Christmas.  I knew she looked familiar but I couldn't place her.  These Degrassi people are popping up everywhere!

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Blynda said:

I also watched Christmas Family Tree, the DNA company could have simply left a message that her ancestry was switched with another person and that the error would be corrected after the holiday and that she could see the corrections online then. 

Norwegian wasn't listed as any percentage and her paternal grandmother was from Norway, so that could be the error, but the company was being vague in their message and she jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Wait. So THAT was the "mistake" or at least type of mistake? Did the message say nothing explicitly about there being another Vanessa Hall? I thought it did.
But that makes much more sense. 
I guess that's what happens when you don't pay close attention to a movie that you didn't think required close attention???
Hrmph. I needed the best friend to point out that the message didn't say there was a different Vanessa Hall.

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I guess that's what happens when you don't pay close attention to a movie that you didn't think required close attention???

But who wants to pay close attention?  Unless one of my faves is on, these movies are just background noise.  I 'watched' a movie this afternoon for an hour and a half before realizing the female lead hasn't seen her brother or his family for 3 years because they live in the house she grew up in and her parents are now dead.  Once I heard that, I turned away immediately.  It's a stupid trope and I don't even care if she ultimately gets over herself. 

I also watched A Godwink Christmas.  Dumb, but Paul Campbell and Kimberly Sustad are so charming together I had to watch.

• Love 4
On 12/25/2021 at 7:36 AM, Cetacean said:

The House Hunters programs have all changed to primary as well.  Something about the connotation of the word "master" being racist and sexist.

In a similar vein, the terms "master" and "slave" are no longer terms for primary and secondary computer hard drives. I was never comfortable with the older terminology and am very happy it's gone.

These are word changes that needed to happen.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

In a similar vein, the terms "master" and "slave" are no longer terms for primary and secondary computer hard drives. I was never comfortable with the older terminology and am very happy it's gone.

These are word changes that needed to happen.

Ah-ha! I was wondering about that terminology for computers when I heard about the “primary” designation replacing the former “master” in real estate. 

I just looked up Master and Slave Brake Cylinders, but it's not clear to me what is the current status of the terminology for automotive parts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master/slave_(technology)#cite_note-6

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I 'watched' a movie this afternoon for an hour and a half before realizing the female lead hasn't seen her brother or his family for 3 years because they live in the house she grew up in and her parents are now dead.  Once I heard that, I turned away immediately.  It's a stupid trope and I don't even care if she ultimately gets over herself. 

This is one I must have missed.  What's the title if you remember?  I'm curious.

1 hour ago, SusannahM said:

This is one I must have missed.  What's the title if you remember?  I'm curious.

A Joyous Christmas from 2017, starring Michael Rady (not in my list of faves, but popular here) and Natalie Knepp.  Bonnie Bedelia is also in it, but she can't save it.

• Love 1
On 12/25/2021 at 4:19 PM, bankerchick said:

It must be just me, but unless an actor says "eh" or "aboot" (or something else recognizably "Canadian") I can't hear the difference between an American or Canadian accent. Also, no need to slam our nice Northern neighbors there lady...

On 12/25/2021 at 11:24 PM, MerBearHou said:

I just watched Gingerbread Miracle and really, really enjoyed it.  I loved the easy way of Jon-Michael Ecker who I’d never seen never in anything.  He is certainly handsome and his eyes are so expressive — he has such a warmth about him.  Merritt Patterson also was at her best in this one — engaging without being over-the-top perky and her chemistry with JME was great.  I loved the diversity shown in the bakery and its traditions.  The sweet gingerbread wishes that came true in sometimes unexpected ways was an endearing touch.  I will watch it again.  And I definitely hope to see Jon-Michael again.  

Yeah, I liked this one too, and as I previously posted when this movie aired, all those "miracles" could conceivably be passed off as coincidences with some basis in fact. That's so folks who are turned off by a supernatural element in these Hallmark movies won't pass on the movie/roll their eyes...

Lastly, this might not be the right place to ask (I looked at the FAQs so I think I'm doing this right):  I click "Follow this Content" for this (and other threads) but I don't get the notifications in the bell (in the upper right) when there are new posts.  What am I doing wrong?  Help, please!

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

Lastly, this might not be the right place to ask (I looked at the FAQs so I think I'm doing this right):  I click "Follow this Content" for this (and other threads) but I don't get the notifications in the bell (in the upper right) when there are new posts.  What am I doing wrong?  Help, please!

Under the reply, try clicking on "follow topic" just above the submit reply button.

On 12/25/2021 at 11:24 PM, MerBearHou said:

I wouldn’t have watched this movie if you didn’t say it was good, and you were right. I liked it! The lead actor is new to me and I really liked him. I felt the chemistry between him and Merritt whom I always enjoy. Those desserts looked yummy too. 

• Love 1
On 12/10/2021 at 1:33 AM, twoods said:

I don’t know why it took me so long to watch Crashing Through the Snow but it was really good. I liked that it was a different story with a blended family, a nice new girlfriend, and Warren Christie! His chemistry with Amy Acker  was really good. Definitely one of the few I did not delete after it was done. 

On 12/11/2021 at 10:49 PM, absnow54 said:

Finally caught Crashing Through the Snow and loved it! The two leads were allowed to have PG-13 chemistry! I also loved the dynamic with the ex.

On 12/21/2021 at 9:32 AM, absnow54 said:

Ha! It makes me appreciate Crashing Through the Snow more, because they at least poked fun at the excess Christmas trees in their ginormous house. That was another instance where the family put the lead in the love interest's bedroom, when they lived in a mansion, but in that case, there was an actual guest room for him to stay in, and it made sense to give her a large suite to balance some private time with her kids.

Just watched Crashing Through the Snow. Better acting and plotting than most other Christmas movies. Better casting and writer. 
The plot included a lot of awkward step-parent/blended family moments, but they all worked out in true Hallmark fashion.

Was the locket Kate (girlfriend of Jeff) gave Maggie (ex of Jeff) for Christmas (with pictures of Maggie's and Jeff's kids in it) supposed to have belonged to the late mother of Kate and Sam (brother of Kate, brother-in-law-to-be of Jeff, and love interest of Maggie)? Otherwise why have a bit where Jeff notices it on Maggie and says it looks familiar and opens it up to see her 2 girls' pictures? I did miss the first few minutes, so was that a call back to the beginning?

I kind of hated Maggie letting Sam blow off his interview to hold her hand (go swimming) and I say this as someone who would LOVE to go swimming in a natural hot springs right now more than anything.

My only other complaint is that in no universe could Kate (Brooke Nevin) and Sam (Warren Christie) be brother and sister unless they were adopted, so, yeah, I'm going with that.

• Love 1

Where Your Heart Belongs lost me in the first 20 minutes.

Maple syrup is made from, you know, deciduous maple trees.  The trees are tapped in early spring before the buds form after which the sap becomes bitter.  The morons at Hallmark had them tapping cedar trees which are evergreens in the height of summer.  Took me right out of the story which was shaping up to be totally lame anyway as evidenced by the fact that the lead actress was waving her phone around in the air trying to get a signal like it was 1990.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Maple syrup is made from, you know, deciduous maple trees.  The trees are tapped in early spring before the buds form after which the sap becomes bitter.  The morons at Hallmark had them tapping cedar trees which are evergreens in the height of summer.  Took me right out of the story which was shaping up to be totally lame anyway as evidenced by the fact that the lead actress was waving her phone around in the air trying to get a signal like it was 1990.

Couldn't agree more, though I am foolishly still watching it.  I know I'm in the minority, and I know many people disagree vehemently, but I cannot stand Jenn Lilley.  She always plays a character that WILL NOT ever listen to anyone.  Nobody else can help, and she can rave on and on, but as soon as the other person tries to say something, she 'doesn't have time for this.'  She jumps to conclusions but won't give anyone the opportunity to explain.  However, I do still appreciate her Instagram 'Hot Girl Summer' post that is still on my phone.

The actor who plays Kenny is in this movie.  He's better in small doses.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Maple syrup is made from, you know, deciduous maple trees.  The trees are tapped in early spring before the buds form after which the sap becomes bitter.  The morons at Hallmark had them tapping cedar trees which are evergreens in the height of summer. 

Yeah. I noticed that too.  They can't be bothered to figure out when maple is harvested.  I'd even forgive them if it were fall because maple trees are pretty in the fall and at least there'd be a visual reason to switch harvesting time. But nope.

However, the movie really lost me when the friend or assistant (I missed the beginning so I'm not sure what he was) she talks to over Facetime offered up wedding dresses from a top designer and he says "but it's haute couture, who doesn't want a couture dress?"

Except he pronounces couture like "coocher."  If he dealt in haute couture, he'd know how to pronounce couture.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Except he pronounces couture like "coocher."  If he dealt in haute couture, he'd know howto pronounce couture.

I can just imagine what a 'coocher' dress would look like.  Sounds skanky.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2

Yikes Jen Lilley's character was horribly selfish and unlikeable in this movie.  She was a crappy best friend who didn't care about her wishes at all. The wedding dresses when she had the one but forced her designer ones for media attention showed how much she cared less about Olivia or being there for her. 

She hasn't visited the farm or house in years and she suddenly cares about her dad and farm. She's attacking Dylan who is trying to pay off the farm that he doesn't even own only to have her attack him for it.

Someone should have told her pack up and go back to NY for your career. Not sure what Dylan or Olivia saw in her. Olivia gave into posting her wedding for career too fast. 

• Love 3

Jen Lilley’a characters have been so insufferable for the past few years that now I automatically don’t watch her movies, even if I’ve liked some of her stuff in the past. Or maybe it’s the way she plays them that irritates me with the know it all attitude then bats her eyes at the guy thinking he’s going to fall for her shit. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My only other complaint is that in no universe could Kate (Brooke Nevin) and Sam (Warren Christie) be brother and sister unless they were adopted, so, yeah, I'm going with that.

I enjoyed this movie but for me the one thing that made me go "Huh?" was how a shlep like the ex husband managed to get not one but two very attractive women.  I know it's shallow but this is a Hallmark movie.  I would have expected a droolworthy guy and instead got the guy who looks like the manager of the Loblaws in my town.

• LOL 7

I’m really enjoying last year’s A Timeless Christmas. This time-travel movie is as good as Kate and Leopold.  Did anyone else watch?  I think I saw some posts but can’t find them now. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, SusannahM said:

I enjoyed this movie but for me the one thing that made me go "Huh?" was how a shlep like the ex husband managed to get not one but two very attractive women.  I know it's shallow but this is a Hallmark movie.  I would have expected a droolworthy guy and instead got the guy who looks like the manager of the Loblaws in my town.

Hah! So true, but I totally overlooked that because Kristian Bruun stole my heart when he was in Orphan Black——and by "stole my heart," I mean in the same way Betty White stole my heart in Hot In Cleveland, heh.

• Love 3

Needing some direction here -- I just discovered where the new GAC movies are on my cable system, and have one up now.  Where are they being discussed, does anybody know ??

The first movie I'm seeing has Jen Lilley, which is not exciting, and Brendan Fehr, whom I liked a lot in A Christmas Kiss.  He's playing a very standard buttoned-up prince, and employing the generic European Royal English accent.  

It's a situation not unlike what I've seen Warren Christie in -- he can do a character with good energy and be very winning, but there's not much that can be done with a limpid one, and so disappointing to watch.

25 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I’m really enjoying last year’s A Timeless Christmas. This time-travel movie is as good as Kate and Leopold.  Did anyone else watch?  I think I saw some posts but can’t find them now. 

Yes and yes.  I liked everything about A Timeless Christmas, and enjoyed Ryan Paevey more than in any other role so far.  Maybe it's that "character with energy" thing that I mentioned a minute ago.  

• Love 4
20 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Couldn't agree more, though I am foolishly still watching it.  I know I'm in the minority, and I know many people disagree vehemently, but I cannot stand Jenn Lilley.  She always plays a character that WILL NOT ever listen to anyone.  Nobody else can help, and she can rave on and on, but as soon as the other person tries to say something, she 'doesn't have time for this.'  She jumps to conclusions but won't give anyone the opportunity to explain.  However, I do still appreciate her Instagram 'Hot Girl Summer' post that is still on my phone.

The actor who plays Kenny is in this movie.  He's better in small doses.

Jen Lilley annoyed the F*** out of me in "A Dash of Love", so much so that I've pretty much been  avoiding her movies ever since.  But I did enjoy the movie "Love on Repeat" which I believe is Lifetime..... it's not Hallmark, anyway.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
1 hour ago, Chippings said:

Yes and yes.  I liked everything about A Timeless Christmas, and enjoyed Ryan Paevey more than in any other role so far.  Maybe it's that "character with energy" thing that I mentioned a minute ago.  

For me, this movie had sooooooooooooo much potential.  I thought the first half hour was hysterical.  Then it just got boring!  That's just me, though..... 

• Love 5

The first time I saw Jen Lilly was in The Spirit of Christmas with Thomas Beaudoin.  I didn’t have any negative vibes about her but I admittedly paid more attention to TB, who I was also seeing for the first time. I sometimes enjoy her movies (Mingle all the Way) is a favorite of mine because I like Brant Daugherty but Good Night Irene - this latest movie leaves me speechless. It was impossible for me to remember Jen was playing a role and was not the character herself. 

I guess that’s the mark of a good actress but not a good career move if it makes one not care to see anything else by her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, quickjessie said:

Taking a Shot At Love - cried my eyes out.  The story was sad enough but Betty White?  Sobbed.  I just sobbed.

I watched it, too.  Hallmark apparently put it in the lineup at the last minute due Betty White's death.  I thought it was really pretty well written with an interesting plot and the production values were higher than usual for a Hallmark film.  The fact it wasn't set at Christmas was also a plus for me after months and months of overdecorated Hallmark houses.  And everything is just better with Betty.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, quickjessie said:

Taking a Shot At Love - cried my eyes out.  The story was sad enough but Betty White?  Sobbed.  I just sobbed.

I'm confused. Isn't Taking a Shot at Love the one with Luke MacFarlane as the hockey player? Was Betty White in that?

Wait, I just saw @Rootbeer's post. I'm guessing you meant The Lost Valentine. I cried so much the first time I saw that (a few years ago) that I didn't think I could handle it again last night. It was an excellent movie, though. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, kirinan said:

I'm confused. Isn't Taking a Shot at Love the one with Luke MacFarlane as the hockey player? Was Betty White in that?

Wait, I just saw @Rootbeer's post. I'm guessing you meant The Lost Valentine. I cried so much the first time I saw that (a few years ago) that I didn't think I could handle it again last night. It was an excellent movie, though. 

Yep, it was The Lost Valentine which was a last minute substitute; my cable guide listed another film for that slot.  I watched some Hallmark Channel over the weekend and didn't see any promotion for the change, I would imagine that the audience would've been much larger had they advertised it as a tribute to Betty.   Although a tear-jerker, it was well written with a better than average cast and some very nice retro scenes set in the 1940's.

Amongst other things, Sean Faris played the grandson of Betty's character and I've liked him in the few Hallmark movies he's done. Jennifer Love Hewitt, who sometimes bugs me with the overacting, was also nicely low key as his love interest.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 1/1/2022 at 9:32 PM, Cetacean said:

Maple syrup is made from, you know, deciduous maple trees.  The trees are tapped in early spring before the buds form after which the sap becomes bitter.  The morons at Hallmark had them tapping cedar trees which are evergreens in the height of summer.  

When our kids were little we tapped some of our trees just for fun.  We got the supplies from the local Agway. It was a lot of work and we ended up with about a cup of syrup, but the kids (now all adults) still talk about it.  So I feel that I'm fully qualified in this area.  Our buckets were different than in the movie because they had lids on them. That keeps out rain, flys/bees/wasps/hornets (mostly, but not failproof), pine needles, etc. Also, a real maple producer would have tubes from the trees, not just buckets.

On 1/2/2022 at 2:21 AM, twoods said:

Jen Lilley’a characters have been so insufferable for the past few years that now I automatically don’t watch her movies, even if I’ve liked some of her stuff in the past. Or maybe it’s the way she plays them that irritates me with the know it all attitude then bats her eyes at the guy thinking he’s going to fall for her shit.

She's one of those actresses who seems to play the same character over and over again.  I'm not sure if she's constantly cast in the same role or if that's just her acting style.  

• Love 2