Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E03: Auditions #3

• Start Topic

The blue-haired girl is giving off a major Regina Spektor vibe.

EDIT: Girl with the kindergarten-esque voice can sing and she's really weird. But the WGWG (White guy/girl with guitar) phenomenon has got to stop. I'm worried that she's won the season by default.

EDIT 2: Girl with deaf parents whose father can hear for the first time. Doesn't make it through but will probably come back next year.

Edited by VanSensei

Is Adam tonight?

I believe he's on tomorrow night.

I like Anton.  He's young, but he showed all the things that the judges were talking about last season about feeling and knowing what a song is all about.  I could hear the heartache in his voice while he was singing.  He's only 19 but he showed what so many of the contestants were missing last year.

How does Jennifer not know "The Beverly Hillbillies"?  Unbelievable?!

• Love 2

Joey is a bit too weird for my taste but her voice sounded good.

Anton and Ellen were both excellent. Ellen really reminded me a lot of true traditional country and folk music.

I did not care for Alexis Gomez. Her voice is average at best.

I don't know why they even bothered showing Big Sexy's audition when Keith and Harry blabbed over the whole thing. Argh.

The girl with deaf parents was all over the place with her pitch. It didn't even sound remotely like the same song. If she can learn to stay in tune, she could come back though.

The last guy was intriguing but I don't know if I like his voice that much. And he needs proper styling ASAP.

Edit: Girl with squeaky voice was good but I think she was nervous or something. I was surprised she is only 18 when she looks so much older than that. I also expected Anton to be bad and was surprisingly one of the best of the episode.

Edited by BogoGog24

Oh, I would buy an album of Ellen singing curse words into the microphone. I don't know why, but I just love her. I think if she finds a decent male voice, she could get a Civil Wars-type thing going and be phenomenal.

I believe he's on tomorrow night.

I like Anton.  He's young, but he showed all the things that the judges were talking about last season about feeling and knowing what a song is all about.  I could hear the heartache in his voice while he was singing.  He's only 19 but he showed what so many of the contestants were missing last year.

How does Jennifer not know "The Beverly Hillbillies"?  Unbelievable?!I guess

Ha! I really, really liked Anton for a lot of reasons, and he may be one of my "ones to watch" this season if he gets through. However, I'm responding to the second bit of the comment...I'm 56. My husband is 58. We both watched the Beverly Hillbillies back in their first time around. But while I can sing along with the theme as though born to it, he (and I will stress that he does have quite an impressive musical sensibility overall) didn't really have much of an idea how it went. Different strokes and all that. I guess it just depends on what you are paying attention to at the time.

However, I'm responding to the second bit of the comment...I'm 56. My husband is 58. We both watched the Beverly Hillbillies back in their first time around. But while I can sing along with the theme as though born to it, he (and I will stress that he does have quite an impressive musical sensibility overall) didn't really have much of an idea how it went. Different strokes and all that. I guess it just depends on what you are paying attention to at the time.

I may have to re-watch, but I understood she didn't know the show.  I can understand not knowing the words, but I don't understand not knowing the show.  I could be wrong and misunderstood what was going on.  Speaking of JLo, I have to say while I think she's an attractive woman I'm now thinking she must be stunning when she's viewed in person.  So many contestants have talked about how beautiful she is - is this normal?  Did this happen in previous seasons with other female judges or just with her?  Maybe it's just me, but I think it's an odd thing to blurt out while auditioning.

Someone else mentioned this from one of the earlier episodes - contestants need to stop begging to be given a chance!  The audition is your chance.  If you haven't worked enough to make it through, then it's time to head out, put some work in and come back next year.  It shouldn't be up to the judges to give you the chance to go to Hollywood hoping you will "work hard and won't disappoint".  This isn't a brand new show or a show with few seasons behind it.  There's no excuse for letting people through who "need to work on it" before going to Hollywood.

• Love 2

I was more surprised that Keith knew the words to "The Beverly Hillbillies" theme than I was that Jennifer didn't. Keith didn't grow up here, right?

I loved the performance though. Any time Harry gets the opportunity to play and/or sing is all right by me.

The last guy in the red shirt's voice and song depressed the hell out of me. Sorry, Keith, but I would most certainly not buy that record.

Adam! So pretty. The whole two hours could just be performances of him on AI and on Glee and I would be fine with that.

• Love 1

I'm 40, and I watched The Beverly Hillbillies in reruns after school in North Carolina. If Keith Urban FROM AUSTRALIA has seen it enough to know the theme song, Jennifer Lopez surely had it on her TV in the Bronx, but then, I keep forgetting how downtrodden she was. Not like she went to private Catholic school or anything. Oh, wait.

• Love 1

Is the traveling guy real? Or did he (or the producers) just make up a good story for TV? He didn't look like someone who walks a lot or misses too many meals (and I say that as someone who does neither). If he is getting by on what people throw into his guitar case or on the kindness of strangers, he's doing pretty good (and meets a lot of really kind strangers).

Of course, after hearing him, my theory was that they were paying him to shut up and go somewhere else. I thought he was awful.

• Love 1

I'm concerned that maybe Americans don't realise we have TV here in Australia . . . truthfully, the Australian tv industry isn't big enough to support itself without backup from overseas, so repeats of shows like Brady Bunch, Bev Hillbillies, Gilligans Island etc were all staples when Keith was a kid, trust me (also, Doctor Who, Press Gang, all the Degrassi's and many other shows from all over the world!)

On topic, I was surprised they didn't put the young girl with the deaf father through but glad they pointed out the issues with her singing - also, nice to see JLo has stepped it up with her technical critique. I could only think that a season that didn't have these judges might have passed her through on the story alone.

Very happy to see Glambert tomorrow night . . .

On topic, I was surprised they didn't put the young girl with the deaf father through but glad they pointed out the issues with her singing - also, nice to see JLo has stepped it up with her technical critique. I could only think that a season that didn't have these judges might have passed her through on the story alone.

I don't know. I doubt Simon or Nicki Minaj would've given her a pass either. But the JLO/Randy/Steven panel would have for sure.

I went to Travelin' Man's Facebook page last night - Kohlton Pascal.  Pretty depressing.  On one post he was looking for a place to stay for a couple of nights, so maybe he really is a wanderer.  I guess he goes to local libraries to get on Facebook, or does it when he pops in back home now and then.  Either way, he's not a good fit for this show IMO.

Edited by Babalooie

She also seemed unfamiliar with the term "squeezebox" which gave me pause.  For a "musician", her knowledge base seems awfully shallow.  Granted, she probably doesn't use the accordion on her own stuff but still.  When Harry and Keith are off the screen, this show makes me feel like a musical genius.

• Love 4

Adam! So pretty. The whole two hours could just be performances of him on AI and on Glee and I would be fine with that.

Yes....this. I wonder how JLo is going to react when she's no longer  the prettiest in the room. LOL  And let's hope that HCjr and AL break into some kind of spontaneous musical number which excludes her because she can't , you know, actually SING.

Loved banjo girl. Roaming-the-countryside guy kinda reminded me of Crystal Bowersox in concept. Deaf-parents girl could not sing at all....she was just brought in for heartstring tugging duty. She also looked 12. Family was adorable though.

Edited by drafan

She also seemed unfamiliar with the term "squeezebox" which gave me pause.  For a "musician", her knowledge base seems awfully shallow.  Granted, she probably doesn't use the accordion on her own stuff but still.  When Harry and Keith are off the screen, this show makes me feel like a musical genius.

To say her musical knowledge base is shallow, is to me an understatement.  She has proven time and again that her musical knowledge is negligible.  I forgot about her not knowing what at "squeezebox" is.  

I think Harry commented that the Kohlton was "ripe".  I thought that was rude and couldn't believe what I was hearing.  It may be true, but is there any reason to broadcast it?  I also thought it was rude when Harry and Keith walked out on the one guy while he was singing.

Looking forward to tonight with Adam Lambert!

I think Harry commented that the Kohlton was "ripe".  I thought that was rude and couldn't believe what I was hearing.  It may be true, but is there any reason to broadcast it?  I also thought it was rude when Harry and Keith walked out on the one guy while he was singing.

I wasn't sure if he meant "ripe" as in smells bad, or if maybe he meant his voice was "ripe," which I guess could be a variation on "rich."

Keith's comment was even more rude, though.  He said, paraphrasing, that Kohlton had it vocally but the "visual" wasn't there - to his face!

I wasn't sure if he meant "ripe" as in smells bad, or if maybe he meant his voice was "ripe," which I guess could be a variation on "rich."

I thought he was commenting on the boy's body odor, but I also thought "ripe" could mean he was "ripe for the picking" as in ready for training/grooming, etc.  Either way I heard it as being meant as a derogatory comment. YMMV

Keith's comment was even more rude, though.  He said, paraphrasing, that Kohlton had it vocally but the "visual" wasn't there - to his face!

And the funny thing was while they were doing the background story on Kohlton I actually thought, "He isn't bad looking, just needs some grooming", so I didn't really think the "visuals aren't there" comment by Keith was either true or necessary.

However, I will admit that I too thought Kohlton hadn't missed a lot of meals in his time.  I know that isn't nice, but the words were spilled by various Britches during the show.

And why can't I remember who Anton was?  Remind me, please!

Otherwise this show was a snooze for me.  Other than Savion who I remember from last year and was rooting for, none of these Hollywood-bound kids have made a significant impression on me.  What does it say about the show when the highlight is seeing Adam Lambert again and having little interest in the contestants? In fact, I have the feeling I'm gonna be wondering why they keep cutting away from Adam tonight to show us barely passable singers trying too hard to sing...

Harry said, "He's ripe as a mug."  I have no idea what that means - could go a couple of ways.  Why they gave him a ticket to Hollywood is beyond me.  Awful song.  Awful voice.  

Loved Anton and Ellen and thought they were the best of the bunch.  I knew they'd love Blue Hair as soon as I heard that voice of hers with the weird sound and odd pronunciation of words.  Thought I was watching "The Voice" for a minute.  

Seriously, this show should stop allowing contestants to give their back stories before they've auditioned.  As Katy Perry once famously pointed out, this is a singing competition, not a Lifetime movie.  It was unfair to the judges for that contestant to bring her deaf parents into the audition room with her.  I could tell that all the judges felt bad about turning her down, but the fact was, she was pretty awful.

I don't expect or want the show to emulate The Voice and not even look at the contestants, but I really wish I didn't have to hear their sob stories. 

• Love 3

So I wasn't looking at the screen when Kohlton first came on but apparently his chyron said he was from Auburn, NY, which is just a hop skip and jump from me. However, a little digging by people around here and he's actually from Skaneateles, which is like our version of Beverly Hills to LA. It's ritzy. And allegedly he is related to Dusty Pascal and I guess he's famous, but I don't know if that's famous here or bigger than that. And last tidbit is that one of the guitars Kohlton was playing in a video they showed is a $5000 Taylor which since I don't know anything doesn't mean anything to me.

But I just thought I would share. So sounds like Kohlton is just being him and isn't homeless, just doesn't want to put his feet down.

• Love 1

Kohlton was also pretty clearly

the last guy singing in the Final 24 lineup?

Right?  I don't know if that needs to be spoiler tagged or not, I'm just guessing but I thought it was pretty obvious.

MJs has the top 24 spoilers and Kohlton does not make it.

• Love 1

At first I thought she was trying to look like she is too young to know the series/song. But she is less than two years younger than Keith and Harry, and Keith grew up in New Zealand for frigs sake. So either she didn't want to sing (because she can't sing live as someone upthread said) or she is just too cool to admit that she knows the song. Loved Harry and Keith singing it. Also loved it when they left the big guy's audition. I may have thought it was rude if he didn't get a ticket, but since he did I thought their banter was hilarious.

About the only standout to me was Anton. Loved him. And I will admit that while I think Keith is gorgeous and funny, I don't listen to his music. But I loved Anton singing Keith song so much it has made me want to check out more of Keith's music.

Loved Adam Lambert!  Always love Harry who has so much fun, him moving the bear was hilarious.  I thought he and Jennifer tended to almost isolate Adam a bit with their nudging each other all the time and talking to each other like Adam wasn't even there or didn't count...they do it too to Keith but it was a bit more obvious last night.  

By the time we got to audition 3 or 4 though I used the FF button to get through all the crap before they friggin' sang....you know their hard luck stories that country music songs are based on!   

The girl with the blue  hair and accordion was not good and not unique at all. I'm disappointed they let her through. I really hope that we don't end up with another season of super weak(in judge speak "unique") singers in order to fulfill the "see not everyone on AI is a pop/r&b diva singer". They did that last year and the show was fucking horrendous and the winner was a douche. 

• Love 1

Not sure who pointed out the shifting of audition days in an episode but have to admit I never really paid enough attention to notice it or have it irritate me.  Last night, totally different story.  JLo's lipstick did me in for this - one day she has bright red lips and the next day they're more neutral.  Adam's suit was also a huge indicator of the day flipping.  Blue suit, no blue suit.  Why can't they run one day and then the other day?  It really irked me they kept switching days.

Like The Voice, they probably air auditions out of order. The difference is that the coaches wear the exact same outfit, etc. for each taping for continuity. To be honest I didn't notice any of that at all until you mentioned it. They probably figured people would be focused on the contestants to really notice.

JLo is roughly in my and my brother's age bracket, and I can guarantee you we watched The Beverly Hillbillies growing up.  However, we weren't in NYC, and I would not be surprised if shows from CBS's great rural era didn't get a lot of syndication play there. 

Two notes on the glimpses they showed of the bus tour cities: I'm pretty sure that the shot they showed of Portland, Maine was a paste-up: neither of the blue "Welcome to Portland" signs is anywhere near the building they showed near it.  And to use a railroad passenger platform for Tallahassee was hilarious; that city hasn't had Amtrak service since Hurricane Katrina killed off the Sunset Limited east of New Orleans.

• Love 1

Loved, loved, loved Big Sexy and Joey, the Queen of the squeeze box.  I don't see Ameriker supporting them, though.  Joey is a great example of someone who mastered her craft and can pretty much do it in her sleep.  Marketing and monetizing that craft?  Super difficult.  I loved watching Harry having a true bayou moment as she crushed it.  

I get why Anton was well liked.  I didn't hear a Top 10 voice.  Not even close.  It's as reed thin as he is.  Yet, I can totally see Ameriker voting for him.

Kohlton is a true original.  I have no idea how authentic his life story was, but his vocal styling is original.  I also think it is super tough on his vocal chords.  I was really hoping they would have had him perform a pop tune just to see how he adapts.  

I loved the window into JLo we got when banjo girl auditioned.  At first, she was all about how sweet the girl was and voted her in.  Then, when the boys had a hoot with the BH tune, she got all flustered because for 5 seconds of her life, she was out of the loop and irrelevant to the party.  She really, really, reeeeeeeally, did not like that.  That Harry and Keith gave not one care about her angst is precisely why this jidges panel works so well.  They have a way of calling her on her stuff without managing to offend her.  From what I read, that is a near-impossible thing in the life of JLo.

Like last year, Harry is so dang solid with the various "No's" he is giving.  At least for a few seconds, the music still matters.  Soon enough, it will matter not a whit.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 2

JLo is roughly in my and my brother's age bracket, and I can guarantee you we watched The Beverly Hillbillies growing up.  However, we weren't in NYC, and I would not be surprised if shows from CBS's great rural era didn't get a lot of syndication play there.

It played here plenty.

• Love 1