Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Today's pet peeve:  Wet teddy bears.

That's... specific!

My pet peeve is watching tv shows on Hulu. When it rolls from one episode into the next, nine times out of ten it starts the next episode 20 minutes into the show. At first I thought I stopped watching at 20 minutes and it was going to where I left off. But every show I watch? Especially "Everything's Going to be Okay" - I know I've never not finished an episode of that particular show. And I certainly haven't stopped watching Dick Van Dyke at 20 minutes of every single episode!

4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I had one of the forums here as my bookmark for Primetimer.  Suddenly this afternoon, when I would click on the thumbnail for it, I'm getting a "__Community Not Available - Check With The Owner" or something similar.  So I had to put Primetimer in the search bar, and arrive at it that way.

Something's up.

I've been getting it for a couple of days, the URL changed, the forums used to be https://forums.previously.tv/index.php?showforums=1, now they're https://forums.primetimer.com/. No idea why.

1 hour ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

That's... specific!

I'm guessing they're referring to this commercial 

• Love 5
On 5/3/2021 at 5:22 PM, icemiser69 said:

There is a person in the neighborhood walking their dog, scooping the dog poop into little bags, and then leaving the filled bags on the ground instead of taking them home and disposing of them properly.  What a disgusting slob.

19 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Is anyone doing something about it?  My neighbor across the common area grass let’s her two dogs poop on the grass and pee.  This is a common area where people walk and kids could play.  Nobody wants to report her to the HOA. If I tell her, I’ll make an enemy.  What to do?  Dogs are supposed to be on the street to do their business.  She doesn’t care. ?????

I walk my dog on a 2 mile loop, one day I counted 7 piles of poop, and 5 bags of poop that someone left. Why bother to bag them up then? I will never understand what the big deal is about picking up YOUR dog's poop? What does your yard look like? My dog's leash has a little poop-bag holder attached to it (looks like a fire hydrant), he poops, I put the bag on my hand inside out like a glove, grab the turd(s) pull the bag up around the turd(s), knot it and carry it home with me. Why is this so hard for some people? 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, BexKeps said:

I walk my dog on a 2 mile loop, one day I counted 7 piles of poop, and 5 bags of poop that someone left. Why bother to bag them up then? I will never understand what the big deal is about picking up YOUR dog's poop? What does your yard look like? My dog's leash has a little poop-bag holder attached to it (looks like a fire hydrant), he poops, I put the bag on my hand inside out like a glove, grab the turd(s) pull the bag up around the turd(s), knot it and carry it home with me. Why is this so hard for some people? 

Because they are LAZY.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

Entitled.

That too.  The pain across my grass let’s her two dogs poop on the common grass, not in the street like she’s supposed to, BUT, she complains about a dog barking next to her,  her new fence, the landscapers, the light going up the stairs, the sprinklers, etc, etc.  She always has a complaint about something, but doesn’t see how annoying she is.  Nobody is turning her in either.  We all don’t want to be the bad guy.

• Useful 1
7 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Me too, for about a week now.  Now I have to type in the search bar on top every time.  Do they want us to pay to go on the threads or what?

Those of us (like me) who never updated our bookmark two years ago when this happened...

have been redirected to forums.primetimer.com for the whole time.  

I edited my bookmarks to the correct address as opposed to deleting it and bookmarking the correct one. Either way would work.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

A very specific pet peeve - as in once every 5 years.  Got the census form and it was the short form.  Again.  Am I crazy?  I really want the chance to do the long form and am running out of time - even if I make it to a hundred at every 5 years that's not all that many more censuses (censi?) to go!

• Love 2

I was a Census worker years ago, when it was still done on paper, door to door.   Every fifth house got the long form. Some people were such PsITA about it that I would walk them through filling it out in the most bare bones way possible "If you answer 3 of 4 in Block A and 4 of 5 in Block C, I won't have to send a supervisor to follow up with you."  

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Quof said:

I was a Census worker years ago, when it was still done on paper, door to door.   Every fifth house got the long form. Some people were such PsITA about it that I would walk them through filling it out in the most bare bones way possible "If you answer 3 of 4 in Block A and 4 of 5 in Block C, I won't have to send a supervisor to follow up with you."  

Can't you do it online? I did.

9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Can't you do it online? I did.

I did mine online but IIRC the last time we had the census it was still defaulting to paper.  I could be misremembering though.  I do remember the days when the census people came door to door.   It's been awhile though - at least around here.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I did mine online but IIRC the last time we had the census it was still defaulting to paper.  I could be misremembering though.  I do remember the days when the census people came door to door.   It's been awhile though - at least around here.

they still do that if you don't fill it out.  Someone came to my parents' second home and they told her nobody actually lives there.

Major peeve: people who don't understand the difference between the To and CC fields. To is where you put the people who are being addressed. The CC field is for the rest of everyone. 

A secondary peeve: when people take a different role or have a shift in responsibilities but can't be bothered to let you know so you stop asking them to do what they used to be responsible for. or forward your email to the correct person.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Major peeve: people who don't understand the difference between the To and CC fields. To is where you put the people who are being addressed. The CC field is for the rest of everyone. 

People who don't know when not to use "Reply All."

People who "Reply All" to tell people not to use "Reply All."

• LOL 5
  • Love 9

Yes!!  This 'reply all' vs 'reply to sender' thing drives me bananas!  It defies comprehension.

As for the bathroom habits of men -  I've been asking my hubs to please sit to pee for years, stating "just go ahead and sit; it won't get wet."  🤪

• Love 4
(edited)

13 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

People who don't know when not to use "Reply All."

People who "Reply All" to tell people not to use "Reply All."

We have this issue with a company wide email that is sent to congratulate us on a certain list we make every year. You'll inevitably get 20 people who will reply to all with "Yay for us!!". It's an eye-roller every time. 

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I had a friend that wouldn't stop using reply all.  I told him to stop doing that.  So he removed me from his email list.  That was over twenty years ago, and he hasn't talked to me since.  I was getting all sorts of shit non-stop that had nothing to do with me.  It was like listening in on a party line.

My mother got mad at me for telling her to stop including me in her family email about her brother that was very ill (he was a major asshole, he was such a prick that none of his 4 children had anything to do with him and did not attend his funeral when he passed) because all the aunts and uncles on the email would reply to all and my inbox would be flooded. 

My pet peeve today: People who wear perfume, cologne or heavily scented lotions at the gym. On the treadmill this morning at 5:15am and a woman hops on the treadmill one away from me and I could still smell her rose-scented lotion or perfume, even with my mask on. I don't get the point of wearing it anyway, you're just going to sweat it off. 

Edited by BexKeps
extra words that made no sense
  • Love 4
On 5/6/2021 at 3:59 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

A very specific pet peeve - as in once every 5 years.  Got the census form and it was the short form.  Again.  Am I crazy?  I really want the chance to do the long form and am running out of time - even if I make it to a hundred at every 5 years that's not all that many more censuses (censi?) to go!

I assume you are in the United States. The Census is every 10 years, not 5, and was most recently conducted last year. The next one will be in 2030.

In the past, one in six households received the long form questionnaire, however beginning in 2010, only the short form was distributed. The Census Bureau conducts the American Community Survey, an on-going survey that captures the detailed socioeconomic information that was part of the long form survey. The ACS surveys on a variety of topics and is used to supplement the data compiled in the Decennial Census survey. I was a manager for both the 2010 and 2020 Census operation, and was asked this question many times.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I assume you are in the United States. The Census is every 10 years, not 5, and was most recently conducted last year. The next one will be in 2030.

It's being conducted in Canada this year.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

In Canada so as others have noted, every 5 years.  I think it is much easier for a country with our population to do something on the scale of a census more frequently.  

• Love 3
20 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

In Canada so as others have noted, every 5 years.  I think it is much easier for a country with our population to do something on the scale of a census more frequently.  

I hate the long form.  I got the long form this year as well as in 2016.  

Got the US census last year, and after years of filling in the endless pages of the Irish one I was thrilled to see the lack of incredibly intrusive questions.  I was often a bit creative in my answers as there wasn’t a “none of your effing business” option.  They were always collected by local people at the door (no online or postal option) and you just knew they were scanning through them for the gossip whilst checking that you had “filled in all the boxes”.  This was the excuse I heard one woman give for marking down the entire family as Catholic, she didn’t want the neighbours to find out they weren’t. 

• Love 1

One question in the (Canadian) long form was about language and to be honest, I wasn't sure what to say about my toddler.  He "speaks" English, but he's expressively delayed, so his vocabulary is limited for a 2 1/2 year old.  I actually entered "Toddler Speak" for one of his languages.  I wonder if that'll get a laugh out of the StatsCan people, because I'm sure going over the census is a pretty boring job.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I was just scrolling through a recipe online (scrolling because it was posted by one of those people who feels compelled to include their life's story) when I saw the author say her kids "are plant based".  Um, no.  Your kids are carbon based, and you feed them a plant-based diet.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I was just scrolling through a recipe online (scrolling because it was posted by one of those people who feels compelled to include their life's story) when I saw the author say her kids "are plant based".  Um, no.  Your kids are carbon based, and you feed them a plant-based diet.

It somewhat reminds me of those signs advertising "grass fed butter". 

No, it's butter churned from milk that's been milked from cows that have eaten grass! 

I've never seen nor heard of butter actually eating grass-and if I ever saw any butter doing that, I'd run then call the cops and hope they wouldn't go after me with a butterfly net! 

• LOL 13

Speaking of "plant based" pet peeves I dislike when people who are neither vegan nor vegetarian say "we stick to a mostly* plant-based diet."

That means you ... eat lots of fruits, veggies, and grains. Which any healthy diet should do.

*the mostly is a pet peeve of mine. It's like "I mostly stick to non-alcoholic beverages." Which I do. But I'm not a teetotaler.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Speaking of "plant based" pet peeves I dislike when people who are neither vegan nor vegetarian say "we stick to a mostly* plant-based diet."

That means you ... eat lots of fruits, veggies, and grains. Which any healthy diet should do.

*the mostly is a pet peeve of mine. It's like "I mostly stick to non-alcoholic beverages." Which I do. But I'm not a teetotaler.

That's never bothered me, but what does is when folks say they're vegan or vegetarian except for fish, or they still eat chicken now and then. Call yourself a pescatarian or say you don't eat a lot of meat. As a vegetarian, it is annoying when people expect me to still eat animals. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

That's never bothered me, but what does is when folks say they're vegan or vegetarian except for fish, or they still eat chicken now and then. Call yourself a pescatarian or say you don't eat a lot of meat. As a vegetarian, it is annoying when people expect me to still eat animals. 

I feel like there needs to be another term. Like mostly-tarian? I generally avoid meat due to the factory farming and humanitarian and environmental issues, but I can’t say I haven’t had an occasional chicken noodle soup. So can we get some credit for helping improve things 95% of the time?

• Love 8
Just now, SoMuchTV said:

I feel like there needs to be another term. Like mostly-tarian? I generally avoid meat due to the factory farming and humanitarian and environmental issues, but I can’t say I haven’t had an occasional chicken noodle soup. So can we get some credit for helping improve things 95% of the time?

Haha I totally give credit! Thank you for making a difference. 👏 None of us are perfect. :)

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

The "mostly plant based" is what Tom Brady says his diet is. Which sounds like ... a regular diet. He says he eats meat and fish but "mostly" is plant based. And it's like "ok so you try to eat healthy?" Which is great, and he's a big guy and an athlete so he needs the protein. But it just sounds like some wellness buzz words.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

The "mostly plant based" is what Tom Brady says his diet is. Which sounds like ... a regular diet. He says he eats meat and fish but "mostly" is plant based. And it's like "ok so you try to eat healthy?" Which is great, and he's a big guy and an athlete so he needs the protein. But it just sounds like some wellness buzz words.

"Mostly" to me basically means someone who only, say, eats meat on weekends.  Though I'd rather say "weekday vegetarian" or something like that.  That said, I'm an occasional weekend red meat eater.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I haven't eaten any meat in over 20 years, but I don't eat particularly well. I eat far too much processed food because I loathe cooking. I've learned over the last few years that there are just as much bad/unethical/environmentally unsound/just plain evil practices in commercial fruit and vegetable farming as in animal or dairy farming, so there's no winning, except for capitalism, I guess.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I haven't eaten any meat in over 20 years, but I don't eat particularly well. I eat far too much processed food because I loathe cooking. I've learned over the last few years that there are just as much bad/unethical/environmentally unsound/just plain evil practices in commercial fruit and vegetable farming as in animal or dairy farming, so there's no winning, except for capitalism, I guess.

And that's why people are now buying oat milk over, say, almond (besides the whole allergy thing).  I've also tried chickpea milk, but it hasn't caught on.  It's not too bad and doesn't taste like hummus (though this girl LOVES hummus and puts it on practically everything).

• Love 2
18 hours ago, GussieK said:

I guess they didn’t test it in NYC or I would have tried it!  

They really should have tried it in more markets. It was, hands down, the best fast food burger I've ever had. No nasty "special sauce", no soggy lettuce, nice hard French roll instead of the insipid sesame bun and the spicy/sweet ketchup was something I've been trying to replicate for lo, these many years.

• Love 2

I don't know why we need a term for the various ways of eating. I eat anything but I may have beef or pork only maybe 3-4 times a year. What am I? A part time beef-eater? I often feel that people who have the need to explain what they eat/don't eat and what they are called want to tell me they are better people than I am. Or that they are too precious for this world and thus can't handle "bad" foods.

Give me a break. Unless you have an allergy or celiac disease or any other disease that prevents you from eating something, and I am cooking for you, shut up about it, I don't care.

I've grown up with a sister who hasn't consciously eaten anything with eyes since she was 18. I never hear her making a fuss or pretend she is a better person because she doesn't eat animals.

I do stay away from reminding her that she's probably swallowed a few insects while riding her bicycle throughout her life. And that traditional kimchi isn't vegetarian.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I cannot stand being called "Ms. firstname" or "Ms. lastname" in a professional setting. It drives me fucking bonkers. We are coworkers, stop prefacing my name with some antiquated title under the guise of manners. Once I tell you to call me by my first name it's rude to ignore that and continue to call me "Ms. first name" or "Ms. lastname" in the name of "manners". Knock that shit off. I have a first name. I've asked you to use it. Use it.

I wouldn't like it in a personal setting either but thankfully that situation has yet to arise. 

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I don't know why we need a term for the various ways of eating. I eat anything but I may have beef or pork only maybe 3-4 times a year. What am I? A part time beef-eater? I often feel that people who have the need to explain what they eat/don't eat and what they are called want to tell me they are better people than I am. Or that they are too precious for this world and thus can't handle "bad" foods.

Give me a break. Unless you have an allergy or celiac disease or any other disease that prevents you from eating something, and I am cooking for you, shut up about it, I don't care.

I've grown up with a sister who hasn't consciously eaten anything with eyes since she was 18. I never hear her making a fuss or pretend she is a better person because she doesn't eat animals.

Different terms clear up different diets. Luckily my family, friends and coworkers do care what I feel comfortable putting into my body. The only reason vegans or vegetarians bring up what we eat is because we often have to. It's not about being too precious for this world or putting anyone else down. I appreciate anyone who make an effort to eat less meat, but I never push my lifestyle on anyone. 

• Love 3
(edited)
15 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I cannot stand being called "Ms. firstname" or "Ms. lastname" in a professional setting. It drives me fucking bonkers. We are coworkers, stop prefacing my name with some antiquated title under the guise of manners. Once I tell you to call me by my first name it's rude to ignore that and continue to call me "Ms. first name" or "Ms. lastname" in the name of "manners". Knock that shit off. I have a first name. I've asked you to use it. Use it.

I wouldn't like it in a personal setting either but thankfully that situation has yet to arise. 

If you were express  this to me in person (as have a very few other folks), I would happily respect your wishes and not address you as such. 

I take it that you are not located in the Southeast US. In my workplace (in that locale), we almost universally address  older and/or senior female colleagues by that and only a tiny number has ever expressed dislike rather than considering it a show of manners and respect. 

To each one's own, though. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 2
(edited)

It's not just diet.  

It seems everyone needs to feel special somehow and wants some special word to define them or group to identify with.  

Like 'i am sapiosexual because I'm most attracted to intelligence'. 

No, you are probably just being pretentious.  Almost all of us want an intelligent partner, to some degree.  Sure we all rank it differently and judge it differently but the idea of a sapiosexual existing implicitly implies that those who DONT explicitly identify that way don't think intelligence is important in a mate, which is a pretty ridiculous view

It goes on and on not just with sexuality, that's just an example.  I'm not picking on that grouping or type of grouping

Its part of this societal trend of group identity being driving forces in every aspect of our lives.  

There is nothing wrong with any of these things and to a cerain extent yes, we need to acknowledge differences and not judge people based on those different viewpoints.  The vast majority of us I think can agree on that.   Not all.  There are outliers that just insist on any deviation from their view is unacceptable or wrong.  And that is not healthy or a realistic way we should have to live, based on mostly arbitrary societal standards and a dominant group view in place mostly to keep those people dominant

But at the same time for many things like this that are irrelevant to most interactions or just not apparent or important at first glance, this need to subcompartmentalize ourselves into more and more tiny groups and use group identity as the major way we live our lives and view the world has caused entrenched factions that seem to just fight amongst whatever opposing group might exist.  

The ironic part is the driving force behind the start of those group dynamics, rooted in the need for acceptance of some deviation from the norm, now seems to be forcing us to fail to acknowledge we all cannot be defined by one group and the different groups we do identify with may not always be in agreement with one another. It's has seemingly caused an intolerance of those in other groups.  And many of the groups we identify among really dont matter in most of our daily lives or interactions despite the growing push to make it matter in everything we do.  

And to go back to the poi t of all this, yes we need to know if someone is a vegetarians.  They come for a meal, ok, great, we can accommodate.  

But do we need a word or group for someone who occasionally eats meat but only a few times a month and might it fish but not red meat and drinks milk but only certain types ........

If you're eating together just ask, hey, what would you like and be open and accommodating.  I do t need a word for every list if things you like.  

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It's not just diet.  

It seems everyone needs to feel special somehow and wants some special word to define them or group to identify with.  

Like 'i am sapiosexual because I'm most attracted to intelligence'. 

No, you are probably just being pretentious.  Almost all of us want an intelligent partner, to some degree.  Sure we all rank it differently and judge it differently but the idea of a sapiosexual existing implicitly implies that those who DONT explicitly identify that way don't think intelligence is important in a mate, which is a pretty ridiculous view

It goes on and on not just with sexuality, that's just an example.  I'm not picking on that grouping or type of grouping

Its part of this societal trend of group identity being driving forces in every aspect of our lives.  

There is nothing wrong with any of these things and to a cerain extent yes, we need to acknowledge differences and not judge people based on those different viewpoints.  The vast majority of us I think can agree on that.   Not all.  There are outliers that just insist on any deviation from their view is unacceptable or wrong.  And that is not healthy or a realistic way we should have to live, based on mostly arbitrary societal standards and a dominant group view in place mostly to keep those people dominant

But at the same time for many things like this that are irrelevant to most interactions or just not apparent or important at first glance, this need to subcompartmentalize ourselves into more and more tiny groups and use group identity as the major way we live our lives and view the world has caused entrenched factions that seem to just fight amongst whatever opposing group might exist.  

The ironic part is the driving force behind the start of those group dynamics, rooted in the need for acceptance of some deviation from the norm, now seems to be forcing us to fail to acknowledge we all cannot be defined by one group and the different groups we do identify with may not always be in agreement with one another. It's has seemingly caused an intolerance of those in other groups.  And many of the groups we identify among really dont matter in most of our daily lives or interactions despite the growing push to make it matter in everything we do.  

And to go back to the poi t of all this, yes we need to know if someone is a vegetarians.  They come for a meal, ok, great, we can accommodate.  

But do we need a word or group for someone who occasionally eats meat but only a few times a month and might it fish but not red meat and drinks milk but only certain types ........

If you're eating together just ask, hey, what would you like and be open and accommodating.  I do t need a word for every list if things you like.  

The whole identity thing is getting toxic.  When I was in high school (way back in the last century, in the 1990s), we had a pan-multicultural society/club.  Now said high school has a Black Student Union, an Asian Student Union, a Jewish Student Union, yadda, yadda, yadda.  The job of these groups is supposedly to create unity, awareness and inclusion, but does it really?  I learned a lot about Caribbean culture from just being involved in the multicultural club but if I were a generation younger, I probably wouldn't learn as much because Caribbean culture would mostly be coming from the kids in the Black Student Union.  I have Hong Kong roots, so I'd be part of the Asian Student Union if I even decided to join.  I would learn about, say, Korean culture, but Barbadian?  Probably not.  I feel like I have to tag a few billion identities with me.  The more "sob" identities, the better, it seems.  I have some health conditions, but I don't and won't let it be my main identity.  I don't like playing victim.  

Oh, and as for that sometimes animal product eating individual who eats fish at times and does dairy?  I suppose there's always lacto-semi-pescatarian? 

• Love 5
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Blergh said:

If you were express  this to me in person (as have a very few other folks), I would happily respect your wishes and not address you as such. 

I take it that you are not located in the Southeast US. In my workplace (in that locale), we almost universally address  older and/or senior female colleagues by that and only a tiny number has ever expressed dislike rather than considering it a show of manners and respect. 

To each one's own, though. 

Oh, I am 110% still in hell (aka GA). I didn't realize that wasn't well known by now. But like I said, I hate it and once anyone has been asked to call me by name name, and only my name, it rude to continue to add Ms. in front of it. We're coworkers, age is irrelevant. I tolerate ma'am, barely. I'm at the point where I'm ready to say something to the repeat offenders manager that this person needs to knock off the Ms. shit. If you want to be polite and have manners call me by my name and drop the Ms.

Edit: in the course of my ranting about this I was able to identify WHY this pisses me off so much. It's a way to form a power imbalance. At work age & gender doesn't (shouldn't) matter. 

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Oh, I am 110% still in hell (aka GA). I didn't realize that wasn't well known by now. But like I said, I hate it and once anyone has been asked to call me by name name, and only my name, it rude to continue to add Ms. in front of it. We're coworkers, age is irrelevant. I tolerate ma'am, barely. I'm at the point where I'm ready to say something to the repeat offenders manager that this person needs to knock off the Ms. shit. If you want to be polite and have manners call me by my name and drop the Ms.

Edit: in the course of my ranting about this I was able to identify WHY this pisses me off so much. It's a way to form a power imbalance. At work age & gender doesn't (shouldn't) matter. 

It should depend on workplace culture, IMHO.  If the company is super-casual and you show in a suit, and continue to go to work every single day in a suit (well, in normal times, anyway.  I suppose you can apply to this in the virtual working world as well, where people wear "Zoom-appropriate tops" and who knows what below), you'd be ostracized.  And heck, maybe even forced out because colleagues are making it really difficult for you to WANT to stay.  You either stick with the culture or you leave.

• Love 1
(edited)

@therehead

I'm sorry that you feel that way (and believe that your locale is 'hell').

As I said,  I respect your viewpoints (and would take care not to address you or anyone else who expressed dislike for that form of address)  even though I can't say that I agree with either assessment.

To each one's own.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 2

That's why it's my peeve. And just in case anyone was worried, I'm not a jerk when correcting the person but I'm so tired of constantly having to correct them. Just call me by my first name like I keep asking.

I would not have fared well in the 1960s Mad Men corporate enviornment.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

That's why it's my peeve. And just in case anyone was worried, I'm not a jerk when correcting the person but I'm so tired of constantly having to correct them. Just call me by my first name like I keep asking.

I would not have fared well in the 1960s Mad Men corporate enviornment.

LOL.  I'm sure you wouldn't fare well in some Asian countries.  My dad went on a business trip to South Korea in the early 2000s and respect of hierarchy was still BIG (and likely still is today) then.  He was meeting with the company's CEO and non-executives, would step out of the elevator if they were to see the CEO enter, with or without guests.  My dad, who grew up in Hong Kong, had never seen that anywhere before.

• Love 1