Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

Broken air conditioners in the summer. (Actually I just hate summer in general LOL.) The AC at church broke over the weekend; I knew we were doomed when I walked in and every window and the front doors were propped open, but the priest and the organist tried to at least be as efficient as possible LOL. Mass was done in under 40 minutes. The priest said the Saturday afternoon Mass crowd had it worse and joked that he was wearing more clothes than any of us and if he could survive, we could too. (He has a good sense of humor so it came off well in person and got a laugh out of everyone.) 

I’d say the more annoying part was a peeve I’d mentioned before. There was a baptism taking place after Mass and with all the windows open, you could hear the family members coming in talking and laughing like they were at a baseball game instead of church.

Also, people who freak out when a website goes down. I write fanfic and Archive of our Own, the main fanfic site, is down and people are going nuts about how they are losing their sanity, panicking, they can’t survive, etc. I promise you will live and the site will come back up. Don’t you people have anything else to do? It gets obnoxious. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I actually get less peeved by that behavior (because at least I understand it) than I do by the people who are going 75 in the left lane, and then when they come up on a vehicle going, let's say 60, in the right lane, THEY SLOW DOWN TO 62 WHEN THEY PASS THEM. What the hell are you doing? Does the car in the right lane have a giant magnet in its trunk that's grabbing your car as you go by?

Those are the same drivers who, in an almost empty parking lot, sidle up to one of the few cars there and park right next to it. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Those are the same drivers who, in an almost empty parking lot, sidle up to one of the few cars there and park right next to it. 

And if it's a man, it's this guy...

image.png.4c12d58ebdd83de51731930b09984efe.png

• LOL 14
(edited)

I was once in a movie theatre alone mid-day no one else was there.  I forget the movie it was.

Anyhows.  One other person came in.  Empty seats.  He (big tall guy) sat down directly in front of me.  😔

Edited by Sweedish Fish
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Sad 3
  • LOL 4

I rarely go to the movies myself. On two of the few times I have, also practically empty theaters, some guy sits down right next to me. I don't need to have a house fall on me to tell me what comes (verb used advisedly) next. I seem to have some kind of built-in flasher attractor.

It just occurred to me that carrying a flyswatter might not be a bad idea.

• Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 13
27 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I rarely go to the movies myself. On two of the few times I have, also practically empty theaters, some guy sits down right next to me. I don't need to have a house fall on me to tell me what comes (verb used advisedly) next. I seem to have some kind of built-in flasher attractor.

It just occurred to me that carrying a flyswatter might not be a bad idea.

#Bringbackhatpins

• Like 1
  • LOL 13
1 hour ago, Sweedish Fish said:

Anyhows.  One other person came in.  Empty seats.  He (big tall guy) sat down directly in front of me.  😔

I was once in a theater with a friend, back when theaters had lots of rows and no recliners.  We were the only ones there, sitting in the middle of the theater.  A guy came in and sat directly behind us.  I'll never understand why people sit behind other people when there's any other seat available, but I also hate having people sitting behind me because they kick my seat.

So my friend and I got up and moved a row forward, and the guy moved a row forward, too, once again sitting right behind us.  I stood up and turned around and said, "Are you following us?" and he said, "Not that I know of."  Huh???

My friend and I split up and I sat one row behind the weird guy, off to the side, and intentionally kicked the back of his row as often as I could remember.

BTW, there's a thread about movie-going experiences. 

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/21504-movie-going-experiences/

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
59 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

#Bringbackhatpins

I actually have a few hatpins, thanks to my mom, who graduated from the High School of Millinery--a real place, and she was a professional milliner before she got married.

The only thing I like better about the flyswatter (and you would be swatting a genuine fly) is it puts a little more distance between your hand and the target.

• Like 8
(edited)

I'm one of these people that always feels like they are forgetting to do something.  Whether its at work or just at home.

I worked for a manager that was kind of a scatter brain so we got along lol.  One of the funniest things I saw him do was actually right down notes on his computer in front of his face to remind him of stuff to check.  And he would still forget to check the note he just left himself 🤣

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 1
  • LOL 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I'm one of these people that always feels like they are forgetting to do something.  Whether its at work or just at home.

I worked for a manager that was kind of a scatter brain so we got along lol.  One of the funniest things I saw him do was actually right down notes on his computer in front of his face to remind him of stuff to check.  And he would still forget to check the note he just left himself 🤣

I put Post It notes on my door all the time but fail to see them on my way out.  I also use a notes app on my phone, and I add things to my calendar that I set to repeat daily.

Yet I still manage to regularly ignore, forget, fail to check, or miss the majority of them.

(I've also been known to tie a knot in my hanky, which worked for my dad, but that gene appears to have skipped a generation, possibly because I don't often carry a hanky.)

Edited by Leeds
  • LOL 6
On 7/9/2023 at 6:34 PM, peacheslatour said:

Flies do not live long in my house. Elizabeth is a champion bug killer.

My Onyx would risk life and limb to kill da fwyy! Only one teeny tiny reason why I miss her terribly.

Her sister Pearl just watches them fly around from her position of comfort on the sofa, waiting for the staff to take care of it. pfft

• Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

My Onyx would risk life and limb to kill da fwyy! Only one teeny tiny reason why I miss her terribly.

Her sister Pearl just watches them fly around from her position of comfort on the sofa, waiting for the staff to take care of it. pfft

Nathan was like that. He wanted to be friends with everything. And yes, I worry Elizabeth is going to kill herself one day, the way she goes insane over them.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Appointments running really behind. They’re running about one hour behind and counting. I’m starving because I haven’t had lunch yet, and I have to get back home so I can work. 

It annoys me when they can run an hour late but heaven forbid you are late….

• Like 8
  • Applause 3

Today’s peeve: mosquitoes!  They’re rampant on Eastern Long Island today. We had a lot of rain Sunday night. I took a short walk and forgot to reapply my spray, and I’m covered in bites. I now lit my citronella candles for the back yard. Anyone have any good advice on mosquito repellents?  

• Sad 4
50 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Today’s peeve: mosquitoes!  They’re rampant on Eastern Long Island today. We had a lot of rain Sunday night. I took a short walk and forgot to reapply my spray, and I’m covered in bites. I now lit my citronella candles for the back yard. Anyone have any good advice on mosquito repellents?  

Deep Woods towelettes. The best I've used. I have sensitive skin, no problem. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 9

Agressive drivers.

I live right off a main road.  So I usually let my car warm up a little before I drive.  Like especially in the winter

Today as I was going to turn out I saw a car in the way distance so I turned.  Unfortunately this person was like right on my tail after a minute.  Too which my thought was, It's too early for this shit.

So I turned off on a side street and took a little longer route to where I was going.  I felt better but saw this woman pass me which and of pissed me off in a way I let her get under my skin like that.

• Sad 5
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Anyone have any good advice on mosquito repellents?  

Not repellents, aside from the usual suspects. But I have a great little gizmo for dealing with itchy bites. (You can get it on Amazon, but that always links directly to my account.) Helps if you zap the bite right after it happens, but I find it works even a couple of days later.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, rcc said:

Deep Woods towelettes. The best I've used. I have sensitive skin, no problem. 

I was going to suggest Deep Woods Off. Deep Woods products are the only thing that work for me, I'm a mosquito magnet. A few weeks ago I had 44 mosquito bites on my legs (yes, I counted, lol) after being outside for maybe 20 minutes at a graveside service. 

• Mind Blown 5
  • Sad 4
  • Useful 5
10 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Agressive drivers.

I live right off a main road.  So I usually let my car warm up a little before I drive.  Like especially in the winter

Today as I was going to turn out I saw a car in the way distance so I turned.  Unfortunately this person was like right on my tail after a minute.  Too which my thought was, It's too early for this shit.

So I turned off on a side street and took a little longer route to where I was going.  I felt better but saw this woman pass me which and of pissed me off in a way I let her get under my skin like that.

Someone passed my dad on a double yellow line earlier. I'd just closed my eyes for a minute, only for him to blast his horn, because of that. We ended up at the same stop sign, behind another car, and then the other person couldn't pass the two cars in front of them, on the next street. 😄

I'm here, because I'm up with bad anxiety. I slept really well for two days last week, then I couldn't sleep for two days, because *everything* so I was back to my normal insomnia. Slept most of Sunday, was up all night working on things, because I had the energy to do it, slept half of Monday, but not well, then hardly slept today, because I napped on purpose, needing to fix this schedule, and get out today. I showered again at midnight, my eyes were closing as I tried to read something at 2am, but did I sleep? No. very briefly, woke up with a start, dropped off again, had another nightmare (had one this afternoon). My chest and solar plexus are churning with anxiety. I'm going to make a "calm" drink that has been relaxing me a bit, when this happens.

• Hugs 6

Bought a book online, said it was shipped nearly two weeks ago.  I think it was lost in the mail.  "Spoke" with the store (i.e. talked to an AI bot) this morning and they're looking into it.  Hope to get my money back so I can repurchase.

• Hugs 4

"The customer is always right."

I fucking hate this sentiment. I do. It's a repulsive, elitist, outmoded attitude that gives people carte blanche to be entitled bullies who can treat employees however the hell they want. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 5
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

People don't know the whole quote. It's supposed to be "the customer is always right in matters of taste". If someone wants to put ketchup on their steak or wear purple polka dots with green stripes, that's fine. It's not a license to abuse public facing staff.

Learn something new everyday. 🙂

• Like 10
5 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

"The customer is always right."

I fucking hate this sentiment. I do. It's a repulsive, elitist, outmoded attitude that gives people carte blanche to be entitled bullies who can treat employees however the hell they want. 

And yet, when I’m the customer and I’m quite sure I’m right (as in, your product definitely broke within the warranty or my cable bill is too dang high), I don’t seem to be able to “bully” anyone into anything!

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

Speaking of customers, the owner of a local bagel joint posted a rant about someone who complained about their store:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CumXv0UgJ1n/?igshid=MTIzZWMxMTBkOA==

Peeve:  shopping for my son’s school uniform for the upcoming year.  It’s really expensive, especially when he’s probably going to grow out of it before next year. This isn’t the kind of school where you can just walk into Wal-Mart or Old Navy and buy whatever navy pants and white top.  It’s very specific with the school’s logo sewn on it.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/11/2023 at 3:55 PM, Mondrianyone said:

Not repellents, aside from the usual suspects. But I have a great little gizmo for dealing with itchy bites. (You can get it on Amazon, but that always links directly to my account.) Helps if you zap the bite right after it happens, but I find it works even a couple of days later.

I don't currently live in mosquito land, but in the past Tiger's Balm applied immediately to bites has done the trick for me.

On 7/11/2023 at 5:00 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

I have the Deep Woods Off. It does work when I remember to use it.  When I lit the citronella candles earlier it really did help.  The NYT did an article on this saying they don't work, but I'm not convinced. 

Citronella has never worked for me either 🤔

2 hours ago, PRgal said:

Speaking of customers, the owner of a local bagel joint posted a rant about someone who complained about their store:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CumXv0UgJ1n/?igshid=MTIzZWMxMTBkOA==

Peeve:  shopping for my son’s school uniform for the upcoming year.  It’s really expensive, especially when he’s probably going to grow out of it before next year. This isn’t the kind of school where you can just walk into Wal-Mart or Old Navy and buy whatever navy pants and white top.  It’s very specific with the school’s logo sewn on it.  

I love what the bagel shop owner posted, and it's one of those responses that might actually have some open-minded people rethink their positions.

In terms of your son's school uniform, I totally get your frustration.  If I remember, your son is quite young.  Is there any way you can get together in the future with a few other parents and arrange for a way for interested families to form some kind of cooperative to exchange/buy/sell uniform pieces?

On a similar project, when my kids were little (around 3 and 5, I think), friends and I organized a baby-sitting co-op which was an absolute life-safer for me at least.  We soon learned which members were reliable.*   Two others and I relied on each other for years on a pretty casual basis.  If anyone's interested, there are books out there on how to set one up, deal with issues, "payment" methods etc).

*  (One person flaked on another member who needed someone to cover when she went for a mammogram - her sister had died horribly from breast cancer in her early 30s a few years previously.  Not cool.)

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Leeds said:

I love what the bagel shop owner posted, and it's one of those responses that might actually have some open-minded people rethink their positions.

In terms of your son's school uniform, I totally get your frustration.  If I remember, your son is quite young.  Is there any way you can get together in the future with a few other parents and arrange for a way for interested families to form some kind of cooperative to exchange/buy/sell uniform pieces?

The school has a second hand uniform program, but sizes and items one needs aren't always available.  The shop is closed for the summer and won't reopen until August, anyway.  I didn't want to risk it by waiting.  We're new to the school, so I'm not sure what the shop will have.  I'll probably donate most of the pieces at the end of the school year.  That supplier sizes things much larger than say, Gap Kids or Old Navy!

• Like 5

I was reading about somebody venting on 20 something year olds and early 30 year olds

They seem like an especially entitled group per what I was reading.  Week long weddings and birthday parties?  

4 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I wish my school had uniforms. 

I went to Catholic school from first to fourth grade, when I switched to the public school and had to wear regular clothes it was a huge culture shock, hated it.  

• Like 2

I went to Catholic school for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades.  Our uniform was a white blouse, navy blue pleated skirt (suspenders optional), and a little red bow tie.  To this day I will always gravitate to an outfit that is white on top and navy blue on the bottom.

The first day of fourth grade the teacher asked a question and I raised my hand and got called on to answer, and I stood up to give my answer.  My next door neighbor was sitting behind me and she whispered, "We don't stand up in public school."  😄

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

In Catholic school I had a white shirt, red cardigan and a plaid jumper.   I wore the same jumper all four years I went there.   I remember some girl in my class telling me she had a different jumper for every day of the week.  

• LOL 3

Catholic school here too. I went K-8. The uniform was a wool jumper when I started. Over the years they added a wool skirt. I forget what grade I was in when they added a lightweight jumper and skirt. I didn’t mind the uniforms, I couldn’t stand the gym uniform which included bloomers. 😳

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

I went to school in Bermuda for a year and the uniform was a white blouse, navy skirt, yellow and blue striped tie and navy knee socks.  Brown loafers or oxfords.  The navy blazer was required for assembly days.  I then came back to Toronto and had went to a girls’ school here.  Our uniform consisted of a middy (sailor collar) blouse with the school crest (the stripes on the collar were burgundy, a burgundy, black and grey striped tie, grey skirt and grey knee socks.  Our shoes were black oxfords.  Blazers weren’t required for assemblies in my day, but we needed to have them for choir performances.  We mostly wore sweaters if we were cold.  

• Like 2

I can't say for sure, as it didn't happen to me, but I think if I'd had to wear a school uniform that would have been a peeve.  (I did go to private [secular] school from first grade on, but neither of them had uniforms.)

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
18 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I can't say for sure, as it didn't happen to me, but I think if I'd had to wear a school uniform that would have been a peeve.  (I did go to private [secular] school from first grade on, but neither of them had uniforms.)

Same. In sixth grade, we held a sit-in in the principals office to be allowed to wear pants.

• Like 8
  • Mind Blown 1
56 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Catholic school here too. I went K-8. The uniform was a wool jumper when I started. Over the years they added a wool skirt. I forget what grade I was in when they added a lightweight jumper and skirt. I didn’t mind the uniforms, I couldn’t stand the gym uniform which included bloomers. 😳

What are bloomers?

2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I went to Catholic school for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades.  Our uniform was a white blouse, navy blue pleated skirt (suspenders optional), and a little red bow tie.  To this day I will always gravitate to an outfit that is white on top and navy blue on the bottom.

Where I'm from, these are suspenders (the torture item that masochists attach stockings to) - probably  not suitable for grade school.

image.png.efcc5a30bc7b7a87fb3c2e80d8d0fb88.png

1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

What are bloomers?

Think Victorian/Edwardian England, or Little House on the Prairie.

image.thumb.png.25a3dafefc3ab79d79a5bb6a5ab6d340.png

• Like 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, Leeds said:

Where I'm from, these are suspenders (the torture item that masochists attach stockings to) - probably  not suitable for grade school.

Those are garter belts here.  Suspenders are used to hold up pants or skirts (instead of a belt or proper waistband, I guess; I associate them with old men and find them ugly as all get out); they clip in front and back to the waist of the pants or skirt and go over the shoulders.

image.thumb.png.b3166a86fe9da68f69f26b884cb27dea.png

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Those are garter belts here.  Suspenders are used to hold up pants or skirts (instead of a belt or proper waistline, I guess; I associate them with old men and find them ugly as all get out); the clip in front and back to the waist of the pants or skirt and go over the shoulders.

image.thumb.png.b3166a86fe9da68f69f26b884cb27dea.png

Well, I don't mind me a little Bond, James Bond.

image.png.1b8af914ee4279cf2faa0bfedcffd0ca.png

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Power tripping Internet mods. I’m in a Discord server for a fanfic event I’m doing and the server owner told me when I posted something to post it in another channel to “keep everything clean.” Annoying but fine. Tonight I answered a question another member had about one of the channels and the mod DMed me and said “don’t answer questions in this channel; I told other people not to either.” 

Seriously? It’s a fanfic Discord; not the US Supreme Court. I’m sorry, but chill out a little. It’s not the end of the world if someone who isn’t a mod answers a question. I love writing my fanfics but I hate how controlling some people get in fandom. 

I also unsubscribed from two Reddit subs because the mods continue to insist on “protesting” the third party app changes…but only on Tuesday. I’m sorry but come off it. You’re still on Reddit and running your sub the other six days a week. What are you really proving when you’re coming back from your fake protest on Wednesday? All you’re doing is showing Reddit you have a tantrum on Tuesdays but you use the platform the rest of the week and won’t just step down as a mod/delete your account because you’re addicted to your Internet power. Reddit is winning anyway since it’s still up and running. (And come to think of it I wonder how many people who proclaimed they were leaving on June 30 are actually still using it.) 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I also unsubscribed from two Reddit subs because the mods continue to insist on “protesting” the third party app changes…but only on Tuesday. I’m sorry but come off it. You’re still on Reddit and running your sub the other six days a week. What are you really proving when you’re coming back from your fake protest on Wednesday? All you’re doing is showing Reddit you have a tantrum on Tuesdays but you use the platform the rest of the week and won’t just step down as a mod/delete your account because you’re addicted to your Internet power. Reddit is winning anyway since it’s still up and running. (And come to think of it I wonder how many people who proclaimed they were leaving on June 30 are actually still using it.) 

I have done this too.  If you’re “going dark” one day every week then I don’t care enough to stay subscribed.  I mostly use Reddit for amusement when I’m bored so I don’t really care that much.

• Like 3

Wow, we had those icky bloomer gym suits also.  This was in the late sixties and early seventies.  It was a one-piece romper with snaps, sort of like an auto mechanic's jump suit with short sleeves, but instead of long pants legs, it had short gathered legs with elastic.  We used to wonder why we couldn't just wear shorts and a T shirt.  The baggy bottoms looked like you had a diaper underneath. 

Ah, seems like people are selling vintage suits on Etsy.  Who would buy one? 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1498535379/vintage-40s-gym-uniform-body-suit-blue?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=1960s+gym+uniform&ref=sr_gallery-1-14&sts=1&organic_search_click=1

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 5
22 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Wow, we had those icky bloomer gym suits also.  This was in the late sixties and early seventies.  It was a one-piece romper with snaps, sort of like an auto mechanic's jump suit with short sleeves, but instead of long pants legs, it had short gathered legs with elastic.  We used to wonder why we couldn't just wear shorts and a T shirt.  The baggy bottoms looked like you had a diaper underneath. 

Ah, seems like people are selling vintage suits on Etsy.  Who would buy one? 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1498535379/vintage-40s-gym-uniform-body-suit-blue?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=1960s+gym+uniform&ref=sr_gallery-1-14&sts=1&organic_search_click=1

Ours were like that too but with regular shorts.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Ours were like that too but with regular shorts.

We had bloomers in our shorts into the early 90s.  I have zero clue why, since they went the way of the do do even in the 80s.  I think my school just didn't bother to change the shorts until 1995 or so when it dawned on them that those shorts sucked (even after numerous complaints).  As for our regular uniform, at that time, it was cool to wear boxers under our skirts (it's probably bike shorts these days).

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 1