Type keyword(s) to search

Movie Going Experiences

• Start Topic

I guess this can be a catch all for different experiences we've had at theaters. 

I have some questions for anyone who has attended a movie marathon at a theater.  How was your experience, what do you suggest bringing, what type of atmosphere is it?  Any tips?  I am thinking of going for the release of Mockingjay Part 2 and it will be my first time.  Is it worth it?

I'm not enjoying the theatrical experience as I once did.  It seems somehow in the past 20+ years, movie audiences have become ruder (texting,  amongst other things), clueless (let's bring an infant/child to an R-rated movie), and dirtier (hygiene issues and/or infestations of lice/bedbugs).

On the theater [chain] end of things, it's cleanliness (infamous sticky floors), and commercials airing during previews.  If I wanted commercials, I could have stayed home and watched them on TV for free.  You get so little for your money these days;  when I think of the stories my parents told about their movie experiences (they went to the movies back in the 40s and 50s) we get a fraction of the entertainment for 10 times the price!  The local drive-in is the only place to get a deal of any kind since they have double features every night on all screens.

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 2

I'm not enjoying the theatrical experience as I once did.  It seems somehow in the past 20+ years, movie audiences have become ruder (texting,  amongst other things), clueless (let's bring an infant/child to an R-rated movie), and dirtier (hygiene issues and/or infestations of lice/bedbugs).

On the theater [chain] end of things, it's cleanliness (infamous sticky floors), and commercials airing during previews.  If I wanted commercials, I could have stayed home and watched them on TV for free.  You get so little for your money these days;  when I think of the stories my parents told about their movie experiences (they went to the movies back in the 40s and 50s) we get a fraction of the entertainment for 10 times the price!  The local drive-in is the only place to get a deal of any kind since they have double features every night on all screens.

I agree especially on the infant/child situation.  At the very least when the child starts crying or talking loudly walk that baby outside of the theater till they calm down.  You loudly whispering shush to the baby does not help.  I went to see Selma on Saturday night and a woman had a young child that started fussing and when she finally took her out it was only down to the entryway. 

I attended movies a lot more years ago but now with all the ahem "options" we have I am finding myself debating whether or not its worth the trip.

• Love 1

To this day I have never understood bringing a baby to the movies.  Unless you have the quietest baby in the world who is guaranteed to sleep the duration of the movie undisturbed I don't understand the appeal.  I know it is hard for new parents to get out but for me I couldn't really get into a movie if I bought a baby with me.

I'm actually one of those people who doesn't mind the additional trailers, to me it feels like I'm getting more bang for my buck.  I do despise the commercials though.

• Love 3

To this day I have never understood bringing a baby to the movies.  Unless you have the quietest baby in the world who is guaranteed to sleep the duration of the movie undisturbed I don't understand the appeal.  I know it is hard for new parents to get out but for me I couldn't really get into a movie if I bought a baby with me.

Guilty as charged. My husband and I brought our  2 1/2 month old with us to see "Ali." He slept or ate the entire time. No problems. We went along with another couple who brought their 7 month old. Totally different experience. They had to step out of the theatre several times with him.

I'm actually one of those people who doesn't mind the additional trailers, to me it feels like I'm getting more bang for my buck.  I do despise the commercials though.

Agreed, trailers are part of the fun of the movies for me - it's just the commercials that bug.

My favourite movie-going experience was going to a screening of The Room for the first time. I've been several times now, but that first time when you didn't know what you were in for? Pillow fights during the gross sex scenes, plastic spoons-throwing, everyone constantly yelling at the characters and the movie in general... Hilarious. My face hurt for two days afterwards because I never stopped grinning the whole time. If there's ever a screening near you and you've never been I can't recommend it enough!

• Love 2

Guilty as charged. My husband and I brought our  2 1/2 month old with us to see "Ali." He slept or ate the entire time. No problems.

I did the same thing for the first 6 months or so. He was a dream.  I always went during the first showing on a weekday so it wasn't crowded and sat in the isle seat in the back row in case I needed to make a quick exit, but never had to.  Then, he started sleeping less and I had to stop doing that. 

I love all the trailers, too.  Don't care one way or another about the commercials.

I guess I'm the odd man out in this day and age--I love going to the theater.  If it's a big, highly anticipated blockbuster (like the Avengers movies), I'm there on opening weekend, standing in line an hour early with all the other fools.  If it's not a big blockbuster, then I love going alone to the first showing on a weekday.  99% of the time, if I don't get to see a movie in the theater by the time it gets to dvd, I don't care about seeing it anymore. 

• Love 2

I have to say I love, love, love reserved seating, especially for the blockbusters. Buy your tickets beforehand online and you can show up in the middle of previews if you want. No more standing in line for 45 minutes just so you won't be forced to sit in the first row.

• Love 2

Some movies should be seen in the theaters (I assume most people don't have the equivalent at home, even with all of the fancy technology these days), or else, the "magic" of it is lost.  It's why I'm not emphatically against blockbusters - a really good one makes for a great experience for me, even if I see it just once.  For example, I enjoyed Gravity, largely because I saw it in IMAX 3D.  I've never wanted to see it again, though, and I'm pretty sure I'd be bored if I watched it at home.  Especially on my old-school CRTs.  No, I don't own a flat screen.  Yes, I'm way behind the times. 

Babies in the theater bother me less than small children, as the former are more likely to sleep.  I realize there's an entire genre of films targeted to them now, but I don't know why a parent expects a toddler to sit still and quietly for two hours in the dark.  Not to mention the potentially scary aspect of really loud sounds and effects.  I don't recall going to the movies until late adolescence/early teens, and even then, my friends and I could be a bit unruly.    

I rarely see a movie on opening weekend these days, but if I do, I usually go to my local Cinebistro, where either the reserved seating is up and away from general population, or the entire theater is over 21 (because of the alcoholic options available).  It is BLISS.

Regarding smartphones - why are you checking or posting to Facebook/Twitter/whatever during the movie?  Just..what? If you're that bored, leave.

I get really annoyed by loud people except during horror movies (provided the loudness is in reaction to the scene). I think horror films are great to go to at night when it's crowded. Though part of that is because it's much scarier- too scary- to watch them when the theater is empty! (Yet, I still do).

I mostly go to movies weekdays midday, hoping to be one of a few people there. However, I do like places like the IFC Center in Manhattan. They have indie trailers, it's smaller, and the crowd really seems interested in the movie.

I absolutely love movies. For most things I see, I'd rather be at home, but I have no patience waiting for it to be available outside theaters. I go to the movies at least four times per month. More if I repeat a movie, ever get invited to go with someone, or go see a limited-release out of town.

Edited by Betweenyouandme

@funkopop, I was at the Trilogy Tuesday marathon showing of the extended versions of the first two LotR films, which concluded with our first viewings of RotK at 11:00 pm (an hour early). It has been my only marathon attendance to date, and I had the best time! I was barely able to get a ticket--sales nationwide had been seriously messed up.

Since there were no reserved seats, I got there at 9:00 am, with FotR scheduled to start at 1:30. They provided free hotdogs for dinner and free refills on soda, and I brought donuts for my friends that I ended passing down the line. It was fun talking to other people there--there was a few guys behind me in line who hadn't seen any of the films before, which blew my mind. The two young men sitting next to me were fans, and they were sniffling as loudly as the rest if us during RotK.

Edited by Sharpie66

I have to say I love, love, love reserved seating, especially for the blockbusters. Buy your tickets beforehand online and you can show up in the middle of previews if you want. No more standing in line for 45 minutes just so you won't be forced to sit in the first row.

Right. That's the working theory. At the Arclight in Sherman Oaks, I showed up for Interstellar during the last preview, along with about three others, and I could see the whole row was full, where I was supposed to sit. I sat in an empty seat about 2 rows behind. The other three trudged down the same row, and it was obvious some group had come in, and taken all of our seats. The three briefly made some issue, but ... the movie was starting and so the latecomers just found other seating, like I had to.

I know, I could have gotten an usher, done the whole dealio, got them to move, disrupting the first few minutes, etc. This is the issue with people who think they can sit wherever they want, even in a reserved seat theater.  I think it only works if you show up before the usher/ presenter does his-her introductory speech.

The other doozy experience I had was seeing WILD at a Laemmle, mid-December. Two idiot men came in and sat in the row in front of me during previews, and they stank to high heaven. I got up between previews and moved further to center of my same row. Well, they were some of the "we're gonna talk amongst us" types, wouldn't be quiet for the first 15 min. Then they got quiet... and started snoring. I thought "whatever, they're quieter." Then they woke up and started real creepy-talk

when Reese came across the two hunters and the dirty water.

.  I know someone on the aisle at that point FINALLY went to get some employee, but they never showed up.  People were arguing openly with the two of them, and I looked over and ... I'll admit it. I gave them a Stink Eye. The guy saw me and started in on how he was gonna beat me up. This drunken talk continued til almost the end credits, when the usher /whatever finally showed up. Two minutes later the movie was over.  I could hear people saying they wanted a refund. I just left as soon as I could, and haven't been back.

It's never fun where you like a movie and deliberate constantly "have I had enough? should I just leave?" Like most of you, I like to go out to the movies. But haven't been out in over a month. I normally go out and see the Oscar nominees, but not this year. Just frustrated with the rudeness lately.

Edited by King of Birds

when I think of the stories my parents told about their movie experiences (they went to the movies back in the 40s and 50s) we get a fraction of the entertainment for 10 times the price!  The local drive-in is the only place to get a deal of any kind since they have double features every night on all screens.

I have never really had any complaints about the price of a movie ticket. Sure it is more expensive than it was in decades past, but so is everything. Personally I think a movie ticket is an awesome deal. $11 bucks for 2-3 hours of entertainment in public. That is about as cheap as it gets. I can't go out for a decent dinner for $11. I can't even go for a couple of beers for $11. Live theatre/concerts and sports is pretty much going to be more expensive than a movie ticket. Hell tickets to the minor hockey team where I live are more expensive than a movie ticket.

Sure it is more expensive than watching a movie at home, but making your own dinner is generally going to be less expensive than going out. I homebrew and making my own beer is way less expensive than going out, but I still like to go to bars sometimes.

• Love 2

We should also consider the amount of bang we get for our buck in a lot of today's movies, with special effects and location shoots and whatnot. My dad's generation got James Arness staggering around a poorly built set in monster makeup.

• Love 1
We should also consider the amount of bang we get for our buck in a lot of today's movies, with special effects and location shoots and whatnot

I understand that ticket prices are in part influenced by inflation and how much it costs to make the film.  Sure there's improved special effects, but to me that's not enough to make up for many of the earlier complaints I listed.  Especially when you wonder why is it that despite having the best FX appear in the original Jurrassic Park, (1993) we keep getting ugly and obvious FX (apart from the SYFY channel of course) in many films. 

My dad's generation got James Arness staggering around a poorly built set in monster makeup.

True.  However I think even back then audiences were willing to suspend disbelief for the sake of the story.  I have laughed out loud at some flicks from the 30s through the 50s which showed obvious wires and fake rocks, but if the story and actors were holding my attention, it didn't matter as much. Think of theatrical productions - you know the stage is filled with props of all sorts but you still will yourself to believe you're watching "reality" as the performers do their work on stage. 

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 1

I've heard of lots of people unable to put their smartphones down during a date. At least the movie characters don't care if you're not paying attention to them.

Perhaps, but as the person sitting behind the compulsive texter I care - that bright light and "plink, plink, plink" as you tab away on the phone is highly annoying. 

• Love 4

It's nice, but I don't think it's worth the extra money.  However, I've decided that the Avenger movies are worth the extra money, so for the first time ever, I'm going to splurge when Age of Ultron comes out and buy the family tickets to see it on the 7 story IMAX screen in Universal Studios.  Unfortunately, it will probably be in 3-D (is A of U filmed in 3-D?), which I rarely pay the extra money for.   So far, the only movie I've ever really enjoyed in 3-D was Avatar and thank God for that because the story wasn't any good.

Edited by Shannon L.

I know that Whedon wanted to film the first Avengers film in 3D, but when he tried out the equipment when filming the tag scene at the end of Thor, he had so many problems with the equipment that he bailed and did post-conversion instead. I don't know if the equipment has improved in time for A of U, though.

I think my two favorite experiences were the first time I saw The Hunger Games, and the first time I saw Silver Linings Playbook. The audiences seemed really into it, and it was just a great time.

I'm looking forward to seeing the hootin' and hollerin' for Fifty Shades of Grey. LOL.

• Love 1
(edited)

I enjoy 3D movies and usually will spring for the extra cost if its showing on IMAX as well.  I haven't been to many that really stood out, though.  I heard the Hobbit trilogy was a big deal because of the frames per second(?) way of shooting.  My mom has a 3D tv and I'm not sure if its the setting she's on or a trait of the 3D technology itself but it has that camera following the people around real life feel to it.  I would get dizzy watching for a long period of time though.

Edited by funkopop

Personally I think a movie ticket is an awesome deal. $11 bucks for 2-3 hours of entertainment in public.

I myself find very few movies worth paying half that to see in a theater.  And I refuse to ever pay full ticket price.  If it's something I absolutely have to see in a theater, I either get bargain tickets through my employer or try to see it at one of the few theaters near me where the matinee price is under $7.  And the "in public" part is actually a negative for me, something I put up with, not something I enjoy, now that movie audiences have become so freaking rude.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

The weekday matinees where I am are 6.50 but then I spend from 15-40$ on food/drinks. But, these are days I'd go out to eat anyway, so I find the extra 7$ to be great because I can be entertained while I eat rather than sit alone at a restaurant bar for 25 min.

Two moviegoing experiences that stand out for me:

1) My very first time seeing a "grown-up" film was in 1973, when I was 7 years old, and my family went to see The Sting. This was before movie theaters were widely available outside of downtown single-screen theaters, so we went to the old movie palace in downtown Joliet, Illinois, the Rialto Theatre (which has since been renovated and is gorgeous, but at the time was getting pretty rundown, as was most of downtown, to be honest!). The movie opened on the very memorable opening credits sequence, and then the screen had the time and place information--"Joliet, Illinois, 1936." The crowd went wild!!! That was the first time I had ever seen a large group of adults react like that, and it has stuck with me for 40 years.

2) In 1990, my sister and I went to a Friday night show at the local budget theater for a movie we had heard was supposed to be fun, Tremors. The crowd was so into it, it was a blast! As the Graboid was racing after Fred Ward and Kevin Bacon, we were all screaming, "Run, run you fools--goooooo!!", etc. We had the best time there, probably my favorite fun time at the movies.

• Love 2

Whatever about bringing young kids to a movie, I wish that parents would *not* let them wear those sneakers that flash when the kid moves their feet.

I was watching The Avengers with my nephews and there was a kid at the end of the row who was swinging his feet (possibly kicking the back of the seat in front of him, but it was an empty seat so that didn't bother me)

What did bother me was the flashing light I could see in my peripheral vision throughout the movie.  Now it was my second viewing of the movie, so it wasn't so distracting, but I could see my younger nephew keep turning his head when the lights were flashing, so it certainly affected his enjoyment.

I was in two minds as to whether or not to say anything during the show, but as soon as the credits started rolling I did go over and tell the parent/guardian just how annoying it had been.  Not of course that I got any satisfaction beyond a "not my problem" shrug.  (jerk)

• Love 1

The weekday matinees where I am are 6.50 but then I spend from 15-40$ on food/drinks. But, these are days I'd go out to eat anyway, so I find the extra 7$ to be great because I can be entertained while I eat rather than sit alone at a restaurant bar for 25 min.

It's becoming a thing to offer actual meals at the movie theaters...that hasn't happened yet in my area, but they are amping up the snacks.

Edited by methodwriter85

It's becoming a thing to offer actual meals at the movie theaters...that hasn't happened yet in my area, but they are amping up the snacks.

Yes, that's what I mean. It's really nice provided the theater in question has good food or at least things you like. The one near me has a fairly big menu and mostly it's been pretty good. They also have alcohol for people who can/want to drink.

And I way prefer the meals even though they still also have popcorn at mine. Listening to people rustle around in a popcorn bag, chew, and then see them wipe their greasy hands everywhere makes me ill. At least with the meals, most things aren't ao loud and there are forks, etc.

Yes, that's what I mean. It's really nice provided the theater in question has good food or at least things you like. The one near me has a fairly big menu and mostly it's been pretty good. They also have alcohol for people who can/want to drink.

And I way prefer the meals even though they still also have popcorn at mine. Listening to people rustle around in a popcorn bag, chew, and then see them wipe their greasy hands everywhere makes me ill. At least with the meals, most things aren't ao loud and there are forks, etc.

Never having tried a movie theatre that offers real meals, I am not sure how I would feel about it. On the one hand it might be fun to get something decent to eat and a beer at a meal. On the other hand, with the crazy mark-up and price that theatres have for popcorn where i, what would I expect to spend on something that someone actually has to prepare and deliver? Or worse something like a beer that requires an extra licence, and possibly staff certification, for them to sell. Plus if it is real food that requires cutlery and that sort of thing would the extra noise of knives/forks be annoying?

Never having tried a movie theatre that offers real meals, I am not sure how I would feel about it. On the one hand it might be fun to get something decent to eat and a beer at a meal. On the other hand, with the crazy mark-up and price that theatres have for popcorn where i, what would I expect to spend on something that someone actually has to prepare and deliver? Or worse something like a beer that requires an extra licence, and possibly staff certification, for them to sell. Plus if it is real food that requires cutlery and that sort of thing would the extra noise of knives/forks be annoying?

I'm in the DFW area. here is the dining menu with prices for the theater I go to

http://www.movietavern.com/locations/hulen/menu/

Most things are in the 10-12$ price. I don't remember all the alcohol prices. But for example a glass of Pinot Grigio is either 6.50$ or 7.50$ depending on which brand you choose. There's also a beer stein you can buy and keep bringing back for beer discounts.

I don't get annoyed by the fork noises. Sometimes the plates knock a little and some waiters are quiter and faster than others. But, the only time I've been annoyed was one night at the downtown Movie Tavern. I was seeing some comedy that was a full house, loud crowd. It was in a largest theater room I've seen in this chain. The food took a long time for everything to get settled. However, they try to start taking orders as soon as seating starts for very busy movies.

I saw The Loft on Monday. There was one other group of two there. I received my food during the previews. I just got a water and veggie wrap and side of fruit. It was 15.50 with tip of I recall correctly. That plus a 6.50 ticket. It was worth it to me versus going to a restaurant alone and spending the same. Now, I wouldn't really recommend the veggie wrap, but I'm trying to eat healthier.

I'm in the DFW area. here is the dining menu with prices for the theater I go to

http://www.movietavern.com/locations/hulen/menu/

Most things are in the 10-12$ price. I don't remember all the alcohol prices. But for example a glass of Pinot Grigio is either 6.50$ or 7.50$ depending on which brand you choose. There's also a beer stein you can buy and keep bringing back for beer discounts.

Wow those prices are nice. And from the sounds of it, they compare to a similar level of quality you would get at a restaurant (I live in Canada, and find restaurant prices are generally higher to begin with compared to the US). I am no economists but I get it is just a supply and demand thing, where if they aren't competitive with other restaurants people won't order from them. Whereas with popcorn, you want the popcorn with the movie so you are stuck. Nice to know about the alcohol prices too, I was totally imagining it being the same as what you would pay for a small glass of beer at a pro hockey/baseball stadium or something like that. 

• Love 1
I think horror films are great to go to at night when it's crowded.

An excited crowd can make even the worst horror movies fun.

Texas Chainsaw 3D is pretty bad, all things considered, but I saw it in the middle of a crowded theater, and it was so much fun. Well, except for the girls who kept screaming (and screaming and screaming) whenever Trey Songz came on screen. But I guess the sheer WTF-ness of that added to the overall hilarity. "Do your thing, cuz!" just doesn't have the same bite when you're watching on your own.

And I LOVE watching blockbusters at the theater. Especially stupidly fun blockbusters. Went to the opening midnight showing of Fast & Furious 6, and it was great. And re: the earlier discussion of 3D films, I always respected Justin Lin for refusing to cave into pressure to do the F&F movies in 3D.

Personally I think a movie ticket is an awesome deal. $11 bucks for 2-3 hours of entertainment in public.

Tickets here are $14. :( I always just make sure to buy those AMC Gold tickets.

Edited by galax-arena

I think there are some movies that really are enhanced by audience participation. When I lived in NYC, people raved about seeing Kill Bill Vol. 1 at the Magic Johnson in Harlem. When I went to see The Incredibles there, the audience (mostly adults) was so talkative and fidgety that I swore to myself to only go there as a last resort. And the theater was nearly empty when I saw it-it was amazing. Also in New York, I saw a audience participation screening of Showgirls hosted by a drag queen and some of the audience's heckling of the movie made a funny movie even funnier.

While I love the variety of theaters in New York, I really love the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin-the atmosphere there is so great that it *really* spoils you for any other theater. It really is quieter and movie oriented-there are no commercials, just trailers and some funny curated slideshows-I remember seeing Freddy vs. Jason (don't judge me) and they played the trailers for the original Friday the 13th movies.

As for memorable moviegoing experiences, I remember seeing Aliens when I was 8 years old (I had really permissive parents) and I was so scared I was buried in my mom's lap the whole time and vividly remember only *hearing* the audience's screaming for nearly two hours because I just could not watch. Now it's one of my favorite movies. I also remember the audience applauding after the train crash sequence in The Fugitive. The line for E.T. snaking out of the theater and out of the mall every time I saw it (four times). And all of the teenage girls crying and comforting each other in large groups outside the theater after Titanic ended.

Whenever I see movies now, I think of my older brother telling me about seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark when it came out-he said he remembered the lights going down and having absolutely no idea of what he was going to see or what was going to happen and how that enhanced the excitement. I wonder if studios were more willing and able to keep secrets, whether it would make the movies more exciting and satisfying to watch.

We have a local movie pub chain which I like.  Instead of auditorium seating, there are tables with big chairs, almost like car seats.  The major drawback is that the waiters come around to settle the bill near the end of the movie WHICH I'M TRYING TO WATCH GET AWAY FROM ME.

I think it would be awesome if at each seat or table they had a way to have you select to pay cash or pay on a machine yourself right there or even order your food. It would be so much faster and quiter. However, that would light up the room. So, someone should invent digital screens that can only be seen with some sort of special glasses or a screen set down below thick, darkened glass somehow, similar to ones in some test clinics.

I guess that's some time off from now! But it would be better. I hate the pay at your table electronic things they now have now at some places but a movie would actually be a good place to have it, I think.

And all of the teenage girls crying and comforting each other in large groups outside the theater after Titanic ended.

The only time I wished I hadn't seen a movie on opening weekend with a crowd was when I saw Titanic.  The girls screamed so loud every damned time Leo came on screen that I couldn't hear the next few lines.

As for the movie and dinner restaurants, our here in town is $29 a ticket.  I can't find a link to the in theater menu, but the ones in the chain that have the restaurants connected with the theater are a la care menus with the cheapest main course at $26.  I'll stick to a kid's pack at $6.50 and just eat a lot at home before I go so I don't get hungry. 

Whenever I see movies now, I think of my older brother telling me about seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark when it came out-he said he remembered the lights going down and having absolutely no idea of what he was going to see or what was going to happen and how that enhanced the excitement. I wonder if studios were more willing and able to keep secrets, whether it would make the movies more exciting and satisfying to watch

I remember having the same kind of experience for Raiders.  And for Star Wars, the first time, which was at a drive-in theater; we had a brief thunderstorm during the trash compactor scene, so obviously I had to see it again.  And again, and . . .

Edited by proserpina65

When my sister and I went to the second Raiders movie, it was in a mid-week matinee and we were just about the only ones in the theater, so we hooked our legs over the seats in front of us and just relaxed. Well, when the creepy-crawly bugs showed up, I nearly ended up in the row in front because I kept slumping down in the seat to stop looking at them--ugh!!!

• Love 1

I don't know how I would feel about the theaters that have full meal services.  I'm one of those people who love reserved seating and those kind of perks but I don't want anyone moving in front of me or around me once the movie starts.  The idea of a waiter bringing food to me or someone around me interrupting my view would just annoy me.

I wouldn't mind if you could order your meal ahead of time and pick it up right before showtime, before you enter the theater to take a seat.  I think I'm one of those people who likes to ride the middle line in terms of comfort.  For example, all the theaters near me in LA are reserved seating and most of them are with ushers and comfy seats and great concession stands. They are also patronized by a great movie going crowd who know how to act in public for the most part. Anything more than that for me is a little much.  I don't really need a waiter or food service or much bigger seats.  Next we will see a theater full of queen size beds with nightstands on each side for your concessions along with slippers and a robe.

• Love 1

Plus if it is real food that requires cutlery and that sort of thing would the extra noise of knives/forks be annoying?

Not to me, because it's no different than dinner theatre, a comedy club, etc. -- it's just background noise that I don't even notice.

• Love 1

Well, I remember in my area, there used to be restaurants that had big screens that would play movies. You could eat and have beer and the like. But they weren't actual theaters. It's kind of cool that it seems like an old idea from the 80's or the 90's is getting revived into something a bit different.

Kinda like how drive-in movie theaters are getting revived as outdoor screenings, sans the cars or hot sex.

Edited by methodwriter85

My favorite movie experience will probably always be seeing American Pie on opening night, having zero idea what it was and before all the hype (and myriad sequels) set in. It was a full theater in Houston and it was just constant, raucous laughter and a collective "holy shit, what are we seeing right now?!" experience I'll never forget.

Burning question: is there actually a way to tell someone to stop talking, stop texting, etc. that is not terribly uncomfortable for all involved? The stress over people doing that stuff, and me being completely annoyed by it but unable to figure out what to say or do other than give them hate rays, is leading me to just stay home except for really special movie occasions.

• Love 1

My favorite movie experience will probably always be seeing American Pie on opening night, having zero idea what it was and before all the hype

Mine are "When Harry Met Sally" and "The Crying Game." I also saw them opening weekend and had no idea there was a Surprise! or a Twist! that "you'll never see coming!" So I did laugh hysterically with the audience--(WHMS) in the diner scene and was part of the collective gasp--(TCG) that went along with those movies. It was great.

My other opening weekend memory is when I saw "Silence of the Lambs." Nothing profound, but I saw the movie in Chicago. And when the FBI thought they'd located the serial killer's house in Calumet City, a suburb of Chicago, the audience started murmuring and giggling. As if, "We know this is just a movie. But that line about a serial killer living close by still scares us a little."

I don't mind previews before movies, in fact I usually enjoy them.  Commercials on the other hand are another thing.  This needs to stop.  At home I can ff through them but don't have that option in a theatre.  I know think long and hard before going to a big theatre to see a movie.  I use "big" loosely as I think theatres have actually decreased their capacity in the past years to accommodate more screens. 

Burning question: is there actually a way to tell someone to stop talking, stop texting, etc. that is not terribly uncomfortable for all involved? The stress over people doing that stuff, and me being completely annoyed by it but unable to figure out what to say or do other than give them hate rays, is leading me to just stay home except for really special movie occasions.

I wish I knew the answer to that because this kind of behaviour annoys me to no end.  I've tried being polite which doesn't always work.  It also stinks if you have to get up to get someone from the theatre.  That means my viewing of the movie has been interrupted.  Now I will have to see it again, wait for it to come out on DVD or just live with missing part of the movie.

I'm lucky enough to have a small independent theatre here in town with two screens.  Their prices are terrific both for tickets and concession treats.  They tend to show smaller, more independent films vs the big blockbusters though, so that is one downfall.  I've never encountered anyone there who has texted/answered phones/brought small children/or any other annoyance I've experienced at one of the major theatre chains.

My favorite movie experience will probably always be seeing American Pie on opening night, having zero idea what it was and before all the hype (and myriad sequels) set in. It was a full theater in Houston and it was just constant, raucous laughter and a collective "holy shit, what are we seeing right now?!" experience I'll never forget.

We live in such a technological world my first thought was that there should be a number we text to alert the theatre security of disturbances like that.

• Love 1

Seeing American Pie on opening weekend in the theater with my best friends is probably best movie going experiences.  We were all the same ages as the characters and it was just one of those movies that spoke to us.  We spent the rest of the night laughing, discussing, and quoting the movie. 

• Love 1