Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

I'm clearly in a minority but I love cilantro.  However I haven't made a dinner with it for quite awhile.

Speaking of dinner - I am frustrated.  I've had a reliable 20 inch Hotpoint gas range/oven for 8 years and now it's taking so long to heat up properly that it's clearly not working.  I have to have a service person come in.  I remember having to get rid of my previous GE oven when it was running so hot they told me not to turn it on, now this one is so cool that it's barely warming a meal after almost an hour.

Hoping they will fix it Wednesday.

On the subject of Amazon, I don't think I've ever received someone else's package, but one time they sent me a whole slew of AA batteries instead of one set and another time I ordered a set of plastic food storage containers that came without the lids.  Both times they told me to keep them.

• Love 2

Cilantro is awful but at least it's small and easy to pick off or disappears in other flavors. Arugula, on the other hand, tastes like car exhaust and often takes up half the salad.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

Do you just not like the taste of cilantro, or does it taste like soap to you?  Because some people have a variant in a cluster of olfactory receptor genes that causes the aldehyde in cilantro to register as tasting like soap.

It tastes like soap to me, I guess, but as if the soap is acidic and also went up my nose. (Further, it tastes like the feel of someone pinching me with just their fingernails.)

I do like arugula -- and many other bitter things -- gin/tonic, very dark chocolate, black coffee, grapefruit... Once I saw an article -- a joke, I assume -- saying that liking bitter stuff was a trait of psychopathy.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Wink 4
  • LOL 1
19 hours ago, roseha said:

I'm clearly in a minority but I love cilantro. 

You're not; it's quite popular around the world.

I love arugula, too, but I love pretty much all greens.  The salad mix I get has nearly a dozen different kinds, and I go through a one-pound bag of it every week.  (I don't normally buy things pre-mixed, but if I bought a head of each one of those greens to make my own, it would produce so much I'd end up composting the majority of it.)

• Love 5

My mom used to spread honey on grapefruit halves to get us to eat it. I'm also not a fan of bitter chocolate--it's so bite-y. Good thing we all have different likes & dislikes. Otherwise, we'd all be fighting each other for the cilantro, bitter chocolate, arugula, chunky guac, etc. 😁

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

I was watching MSNBC yesterday and today (then I found out I do have BBC News channel), and I really want to know what that scraping noise was through a lot of the coverage?   It was so irritating.   And could they at least have a proof reader on the information captions at the bottom of the screen.  

• Useful 1
53 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I was watching MSNBC yesterday and today (then I found out I do have BBC News channel), and I really want to know what that scraping noise was through a lot of the coverage?   It was so irritating.   And could they at least have a proof reader on the information captions at the bottom of the screen.  

I've heard that scraping noise, more so recently. It's when the host is interviewing someone who's not in the studio (that's most guests these days). It's really irritating.

• Useful 2

BBC live news not being on YT. I can watch the website on my laptop but Roku TV doesn't have it among streaming channels (unless I missed it) and it doesn't show up on YT. Sky News live does, though.

Edited by ABay
On 9/9/2022 at 10:10 PM, roseha said:

I'm clearly in a minority but I love cilantro.  However I haven't made a dinner with it for quite awhile.

Nope, you're in a large majority.  I've read that somewhere between 4 and 14% of the population hates cilantro and thinks it tastes like soap, most likely because they have the genetic variant that makes it taste that way to them.  It also said that they are a "small but vocal minority" which might explain why it seems like there are so many of them.  My DNA results told me I had higher than average odds of being a cilantro hater, but I love it and it does not taste like soap at all to me.  And as far as I remember my parents liked it too.  Thank goodness because I love Mexican and Asian foods that utilize cilantro heavily.  I make my own guac, which my husband calls "the best guacamole he's ever tasted", LOL.  Obviously he loves cilantro too.

• Love 3

So here's a pet peeve or at least something that recently has gotten under my skin:

Optometrists that won't accept eyeglass prescriptions unless they are under a year old when the law says it expires in 2 years.  

I remember when prescriptions, specifically contact lens prescriptions expired after 5 years.  Then it went down to 2 years because the optometrists complained about losing business due to all the online competition, etc.  It also depended on the state.  In my state it's 2 years for both eyeglass and contact lens prescriptions, but it also depends on what the examining doctor puts on the prescription.  Mine put an expiration date of 2 years on my prescription.  If the doctor only put 1 year, that would be the legal expiration date.  

So anyway I got some cash for my birthday and promised everyone I wouldn't buy some necessity with it so I figured I'd compromise and get myself a new pair of glasses.  I got a pair last year but last week I saw this sweet little pair of eggplant colored Rachel Roy's in Costco when my husband was there buying glasses and couldn't get them out of my mind.  I have a VERY hard time finding eyeglasses that flatter me, and it's not just because I'm picky.  I could try on the entire store and even the salespeople will shake their heads no or scrunch up their noses.  But not with this pair. So I took my prescription in hand the other day and went to buy the glasses.  

The saleswoman took a look at my prescription and said, "Oh, I'll have to see if the doctor will accept this."  I said, "Why, it's under 2 years old?"  (Meanwhile it is only 1 year and 3 months old.)  She said, "Well it depends on the doctor what they will accept".  I said, "But my prescription says it expires next year."  "Well, I'll have to see if he'll do it".  I said, "That's terrible.  First it's 5 years, now 2 years, now they want to make it 1 year even though it doesn't expire for another 9 months?  They just want to make more money."  I also told her I would go to another Costco and see if the doctor there would do it if he wouldn't.  Anyway she came back and said he'd accept it, but come on.  I would know if I needed a new prescription.  This is getting ridiculous.  And it's not even about whether it's covered under insurance.  It might be and it might not be covered every year under my insurance.  But I also think about all the people that don't have any insurance and how expensive that would be for them.  Right now I am covered for exams but not the glasses themselves.

Anyway, it's a racket and I feel better now getting that off my chest!

ETA:  I mostly wear contacts but wear glasses around the house and out about 20% of the time.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 8/6/2022 at 5:14 PM, Suzn said:

I'm joining the chorus of I Hate Summer.  The heat literally makes me sick.  It saps my energy and makes me depressed.  I recently read that there is now an official determination that summer heat can depress people.  I could have told the experts that decades ago.

I don't enjoy extreme cold and certainly don't enjoy some of winter difficulties, like driving in snow and ice, but I function fine.  I can bundle up and get warm and all is well.

The prospect of the remaining weeks of summer heat is so dispiriting...

As you get older, the heat bothers you.  We used to go the beach often, but no more.  We stay in with the air conditioner more in the summer.  Autumn is beautiful in N.Y.  I don’t mind winter too, as I take to cold more than heat.  We can always go to Florida for a few weeks in winter.  Snow is no big deal.  In one day,  roads are clear to drive if you have to.  Two days the most.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

So here's a pet peeve or at least something that recently has gotten under my skin:

Optometrists that won't accept eyeglass prescriptions unless they are under a year old when the law says it expires in 2 years.  

I remember when prescriptions, specifically contact lens prescriptions expired after 5 years.  Then it went down to 2 years because the optometrists complained about losing business due to all the online competition, etc.  It also depended on the state.  In my state it's 2 years for both eyeglass and contact lens prescriptions, but it also depends on what the examining doctor puts on the prescription.  Mine put an expiration date of 2 years on my prescription.  If the doctor only put 1 year, that would be the legal expiration date.  

So anyway I got some cash for my birthday and promised everyone I wouldn't buy some necessity with it so I figured I'd compromise and get myself a new pair of glasses.  I got a pair last year but last week I saw this sweet little pair of eggplant colored Rachel Roy's in Costco when my husband was there buying glasses and couldn't get them out of my mind.  I have a VERY hard time finding eyeglasses that flatter me, and it's not just because I'm picky.  I could try on the entire store and even the salespeople will shake their heads no or scrunch up their noses.  But not with this pair. So I took my prescription in hand the other day and went to buy the glasses.  

The saleswoman took a look at my prescription and said, "Oh, I'll have to see if the doctor will accept this."  I said, "Why, it's under 2 years old?"  (Meanwhile it is only 1 year and 3 months old.)  She said, "Well it depends on the doctor what they will accept".  I said, "But my prescription says it expires next year."  "Well, I'll have to see if he'll do it".  I said, "That's terrible.  First it's 5 years, now 2 years, now they want to make it 1 year even though it doesn't expire for another 9 months?  They just want to make more money."  I also told her I would go to another Costco and see if the doctor there would do it if he wouldn't.  Anyway she came back and said he'd accept it, but come on.  I would know if I needed a new prescription.  This is getting ridiculous.  And it's not even about whether it's covered under insurance.  It might be and it might not be covered every year under my insurance.  But I also think about all the people that don't have any insurance and how expensive that would be for them.  Right now I am covered for exams but not the glasses themselves.

Anyway, it's a racket and I feel better now getting that off my chest!

ETA:  I mostly wear contacts but wear glasses around the house and out about 20% of the time.

They are trying to make up for what they lost during this pandemic.  Doctors are calling all the time to make an appointment.  It’s very obvious.  I missed the eye doctor last year and my eyes are 20/20.  Only need for reading.  The office called five times to make an appointment.  They never were like this before.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 9/7/2022 at 11:26 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I'll put it on the porch for UPS to pick up tomorrow. If they don't, I'll donate to a shelter.

Too bad I didn’t know your whole story.  My Son was an UPS Driver for 14 yrs.  He would have said what to do.  He always takes care of my packages 1 2 3.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Too bad I didn’t know your whole story.  My Son was an UPS Driver for 14 yrs.  He would have said what to do.  He always takes care of my packages 1 2 3.

A very nice young man picked up the box. He saw me open the door, reach to pick up a pckg he'd delivered and he let me know the receipt was sitting on the new pckg. Good employee!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

A very nice young man picked up the box. He saw me open the door, reach to pick up a pckg he'd delivered and he let me know the receipt was sitting on the new pckg. Good employee!

Yes.  Nobody knows what those drivers go through.  Twelve hrs a day, over 200 stops.  No air conditioning in the truck.  Some pass out.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
On 9/8/2022 at 6:01 PM, Anela said:

I saw a tiktok from someone making a healthy coke they'd heard about: balsamic vinegar in fizzy water?? She spit it out, and said that was not comparable to coke. 

WTF? I’ve spent a grand total of 2 mins on tiktok and it made me so rage-y I’ve never been back. The problem is nobody thinks anymore, they just do the craziest stuff in hopes of going viral. I’m pretty sure a 4 year old would know vinegar/fizzy water would taste like shit. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
14 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Yes.  Nobody knows what those drivers go through.  Twelve hrs a day, over 200 stops.  No air conditioning in the truck.  Some pass out.

No AC in the truck? It's horrendously hot in the south...actually, all over the country these days in the summer. How do they get good people to work for them? I wonder if FedEx is the same.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

No AC in the truck? It's horrendously hot in the south...actually, all over the country these days in the summer. How do they get good people to work for them? I wonder if FedEx is the same.

Edited by kristen111
On 9/9/2022 at 10:10 PM, roseha said:

I'm clearly in a minority but I love cilantro. 

You’re not. We use it in almost all dishes as garnishes with daal and subzees (Hindi  for vegetable dishes and also curries).

One of my favorite dishes is cilantro chutney. Blend a bunch (with stalks), handful of green chilies, 3 cloves of garlic, cumin, lemon juice. You can temper the lemon and salt to taste. Another variation-fresh mint leaves.

You know, the mint chutneys they serve at Indian restaurants-made from cilantro.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Cilantro is from the leaf of the plant, coriander is the seed.

Yep, when you grow cilantro, when it inevitably bolts, you get coriander to harvest (and to grow new plants).

On 9/6/2022 at 12:52 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Nope.  We're slaves to Google World.  Interns have the choice to leave.

That is why I always use Bing theses days. I had so much trouble with Google tracking everything I did. Not happening with Bing search. 

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

You’re not. We use it in almost all dishes as garnishes with daal and subzees (Hindi  for vegetable dishes and also curries).

One of my favorite dishes is cilantro chutney. Blend a bunch (with stalks), handful of green chilies, 3 cloves of garlic, cumin, lemon juice. You can temper the lemon and salt to taste. Another variation-fresh mint leaves.

You know, the mint chutneys they serve at Indian restaurants-made from cilantro.

I like cilantro too and use it often. I love the options  offered and will try some of them...

10 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

That is why I always use Bing theses days. I had so much trouble with Google tracking everything I did. Not happening with Bing search. 

My understanding is that Bing does track you.  If you're content with the results you get from Bing searches, you could try using duckduckgo.com -- it appears to be based mainly on Bing and doesn't allow any tracking at all.

• Like 1

When people are about to say something mean but then stop themselves and let you know they were about to say something really mean but won't. How nice of you. Now you have me wondering what on earth you were thinking and wanting to say. Might as well say it.

• Love 3
On 9/10/2022 at 5:21 PM, Bastet said:

You're not; it's quite popular around the world.

I love arugula, too, but I love pretty much all greens.  The salad mix I get has nearly a dozen different kinds, and I go through a one-pound bag of it every week.  (I don't normally buy things pre-mixed, but if I bought a head of each one of those greens to make my own, it would produce so much I'd end up composting the majority of it.)

I get a mix too, for the same reason.  My son is okay with greens and my husband hates them.  I also love bitter chocolate and am known to bake with 100% cacao.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

When people are about to say something mean but then stop themselves and let you know they were about to say something really mean but won't. How nice of you. Now you have me wondering what on earth you were thinking and wanting to say. Might as well say it.

I came here, after remembering the "stream" section at the top of the forum, that shows posts in real time, because someone posted something like, "well, that was awkward" on twitter, about the emmy's, and had a lot of people asking, "What was awkward??" in response. I don't have cable, and was barely paying attention to it all, until she said that, and I needed to know, too. 

It was this: https://pagesix.com/2022/09/12/succession-creator-disses-king-charles-iii-in-emmys-2022-speech/ 

Edited by Anela

One of my biggest Pet Peeves is manchildren. Like this-

Just saw a post from r/WallStreetBets that left me absolutely seething. Some jerk thought it would be funny to post a photo of his wife/partner laying on a hospital bed, obviously in labor while he enjoys a slice of pizza. The post had over 18,000 upvotes and loads of comments, many finding it funny, others joking that he will soon be divorced. Not much shocks me anymore but this one did. Left me completely disgusted.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 3
  • Love 2

I just got off the phone with our daughter.  She and her live-in boyfriend are raising five kids (some hers, some his and the youngest that they made together).  He works as a mechanic and she is at home being tutor, cook, cleaning lady, chauffer, referee, etc.  All the kids are in school except the four-year-old who thinks she is queen of the world.  Today is Saturday.  Our daughter asked him if he could take the queen to her dance class because she had to take another kid for a haircut.  This would take him an hour and a half which includes driving time.  He looked up from his phone/seat on the couch and said incredulously, "I work all week."  This was why she called me.   She needed to either vent or end up on an episode of Dateline.

• Sad 7
  • Fire 2

After getting the time off for an extended weekend in another month or so, I had hoped to book my first trip to/from another US city in the last three years by calling my pre-affliction fave online travel site to get them to book the hotel reservations and airline tickets. Guess what? The so-called customer phone lines are ALL automated and seem to be totally useless unless one has ALREADY put one's credit card, street address and phone info ONLINE and booked all that oneself! ARGGH!!!!!

It looks as though I'm going to have to go with Plan B if not C and see if I can phone humans at the hotel and airlines to take my credit card info and get these things booked on my own in the next few days!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mind Blown 3

I'm sick of companies that have stupid shipping policies. I ordered some stuff from Target. I was just a few dollars away from getting free shipping, so I bought two containers of gum. I just got a shipping notice. They shipped one container of gum. Not both of them, not my whole order, just one container of gum. In what world is this intelligent?

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 3
53 minutes ago, GaT said:

I'm sick of companies that have stupid shipping policies. I ordered some stuff from Target. I was just a few dollars away from getting free shipping, so I bought two containers of gum. I just got a shipping notice. They shipped one container of gum. Not both of them, not my whole order, just one container of gum. In what world is this intelligent?

I hate inefficient shipping. Something similar happened with one of my Target orders. One of my responsibilities is to ensure we ship as efficiently as possible and I get pushback from our stores because I choose to send things from our warehouse (same-day shipping) vs the store (2-3 days before UPS gets to the store to pick it up). Dude. Your customer has their product already, why are you griping?

1 hour ago, GaT said:

Oh, Target.  I ordered for pick up two lip glosses, with lots of other things.  They were out of stock and offered to ship free of charge. On the same day, one lip gloss came in a small padded envelope and the other came in a box big enough for a 10 pound bag of sugar! Amazing!

Edited by Suzn
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 3

Parents who let their children scream/fight on a bus without even once trying to quiet them down. 

Happening right now and I’m developing a headache from 2 very loud/obnoxious kids. Mother sitting there like a tree branch. 

came back to add: we all went to the last stop. 40 minutes of fun for me.

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Fire 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Parents who let their children scream/fight on a bus without even once trying to quiet them down. 

I will add to this: Parents who allow this to happen anywhere in public. The grocery store, the library, the park, it doesn't matter. I know children get tired and cranky but for the love of pete, teach them there is a time and a place.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, BexKeps said:

I will add to this: Parents who allow this to happen anywhere in public. The grocery store, the library, the park, it doesn't matter. I know children get tired and cranky but for the love of pete, teach them there is a time and a place.

My son never screamed or ran around but he did wander off. One time I just pulled my grocery cart off to the side, took him home and didn't let him go back to the store with me for a very long time. He could just stay home with dad if he couldn't stay with me.

• Love 9
On 9/19/2022 at 5:23 PM, Suzn said:

Oh, Target.  I ordered for pick up two lip glosses, with lots of other things.  They were out of stock and offered to ship free of charge. On the same day, one lip gloss came in a small padded envelope and the other came in a box big enough for a 10 pound bag of sugar! Amazing!

That happened to me with Amazon once!!  Maybe they ran out of envelopes?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, BexKeps said:

I know children get tired and cranky but for the love of pete, teach them there is a time and a place.

Yeah, even a great parent with a generally good kid can experience an embarrassing meltdown in a public place, so it's all about how the parent responds.  If they're actively trying to get the kid to stop disturbing everyone, I'm still going to be annoyed by the ruckus but I'll understand that these things happen and not cast any aspersions on their parenting.  If they're just standing there playing with their phone, with or without distractedly saying "Stop that", while their kid's a holy terror, though, then I'm going to judge all day long.  Kids will be kids, yes, but parents need to be parents.  It's the job.  Don't want to do it, don't take on the job.

My parents were lucky in that I didn't tend to act up to begin with, but when I did I got the "[First and Middle Name], knock that off or [situation-specific consequence will occur]" warning.  And if I didn't knock it off, said consequence did in fact occur.  I learned very early on they weren't going to be repeating a threat multiple times before maybe doing something.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

That happened to me with Amazon once!!  Maybe they ran out of envelopes?

I would prefer Amazon use a box. That way my post lady has to drive it down to my house. The envelopes she can cram into my mailbox out on the road and I have to drive up to pick up. Mailboxes on the road away from homes are prime for "porch pirates" .

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1