Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Maisiesmom said:

Speaking of the "F" word-funny story. When I was about 8 my friends and I saw it spray-painted on the back of a building. We puzzled over it because nobody knew what it meant. We tried to look it up in the dictionary-but it wasn't there. (I'm old). So at dinner time we decided to ask around and get back together after to compare notes. I went home and asked my mom "what is it and what does it mean?" I found myself on the floor and was told to Never EVER use that word. She never did explain it. So after dinner we got back together and none of us had gotten any intel and what it was except it was very bad. Of course later we figured it out but the funny part is when I became an adult, I  was helping mom do something and she hurt herself and hollered "Fuck!" I almost died laughing. I said "Mom, you aren't supposed to say that word" and she looked right at me and said "Fuck it!" God I miss her.

And I miss My Dear clueless Mother.  She worked with a bunch of very hip women.  One day, she came hom, was cooking and shouted out “Fock”.  I said “Ma, what did you just say”?  She said it was a curse word all the women say when mad.  I was hysterical.   My Father always said, “Son of a Bitch Bastard”.   Never Fock. Funny.  They were human too.  They also said things in their native tongue.  Very weird European curses.  My Father used to say “ Eat Shit” in Polish when arguing.  I won’t even go into the punishments we received.  My Mother lived on a farm in Europe.  When the enemiesenmitiecame during the war, her and her family would take the cows into the woods when the enemy ransacked her house.  Their stories make me cry.  They came to this Country, worked hard and bought a house cash.  My poor Mother ate the leftovers, so we got the meat.  Hard times for them.  (enemies) I meant up there.  Something wrong with the spelling here.  Auto correct not working? All of a sudden?

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 2

I learned to swear in college.  I try not to in front of people who don't like it (like my mother!), and I've altered a few ("Son of a businessman!"), but there's really only one I don't like.  I read a fair amount of Brit Lit, where that particular one is used liberally, so I've gotten accustomed to reading it (and I'll use it when I play Boggle, too), but I prefer not to hear or say it.  It starts with a C.

I absolutely hate that word. I equate it with the N word.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I grew up hearing damn, hell and son of a bitch from my father and nothing much from my mother that I remember.  She was more inclined to use rather archaic words to describe people that made her mad, such as calling a woman an "old rip".  I learned the full complement of curse words in my early teens from other kids and used them freely with my friends.  Later when I married an ex-Marine, I learned from him how to string together profanity in an almost poetic way.

It is cathartic and serves a real purpose for me.  It's not for lack of vocabulary, but is useful to express feelings in a way that "nice" words can't.  I don't use curse words around people who will be offended.  I don't mind what others say unless they are not capable of expressing a thought any other way.

I do use the C word occasionally.  Because it is such a nasty word, it just is perfect to describe some people, both male and female.

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 3

Our daughter knew she had to tone down her language when our 12-year-old granddaughter came home from school and said that some boy had called her a fat turtle.  Her 3-year-old sister jumped to her feet and declared,"I'll beat that boy's ass!"

• LOL 9
19 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

When my son was a teenager, I used to say to both him and his dad "okay, we're all wearing our grandma mouths tonight, right?"

In my family using our grandma mouths it would have been the opposite of what you were asking of your family.  That woman could curse like no one I've ever encountered.

When I worked at the Children's Home I literally starting saying the word Cuss.  I was surprised that the girls actually picked it up and started saying that and cutting down on the actual cursing.

I mean I do use curse words, but, back then I was trying to set a good example and all that.

• Love 7

In my family using our grandma mouths it would have been the opposite of what you were asking of your family.  That woman could curse like no one I've ever encountered.

That's hilarious! "Hi grandma! How the fuck are you? Are you making your awesome god damned mashed potatoes again? Shit, those are some great mother fucking potatoes!"

• LOL 10
26 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

Our daughter knew she had to tone down her language when our 12-year-old granddaughter came home from school and said that some boy had called her a fat turtle.  Her 3-year-old sister jumped to her feet and declared,"I'll beat that boy's ass!"

I'm sorry 😶...but I just burst out laughing while envisioning a 3 year old tot saying she'll "beat that boy's ass" for being mean to her big sister. I just love it! Were you able to not laugh? Thanks for a *great* laugh while watching tonight's news 😁

• LOL 5

I will not use "the C word"; it's vile and misogynist.  I won't use "bitch", either, as it's horribly sexist, but the other one I won't even type.  I have to check myself in Britain, where it is not given the same meaning, so it wouldn't be fair for me to have the same reaction there I do here when someone else uses it.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I absolutely hate that word. I equate it with the N word.

I used to feel that way too.  Maybe it's Ricky Gervais' fault, but ever since streaming a couple of his newer shows, I have added it to my regular repertoire.  It seems as if the Brits use it differently than Americans?  I, like RG, use it equally between the genders, but generally confine it to home use.

• Love 1

None of the gendered name calling compares to the n word for me. 

I'm not crazy about some of the names above. I've mentioned this before, but it's annoying that balls are associated with bravery/guts, and p word is used to put people down. Women having more insults is something I've thought about, much like many insults or expressions not making sense if you're atheist/agnostic. But men are called plenty of names. Some of us us call men the same names. Sometimes bitch is used harshly and unfairly, but it is oftentimes used to describe awful people. The n word? Entirely different. I've heard it used many times to insult people who did nothing but be black. 

Also, taking out all those insults, is a lot like my pet peeve with getting your point across perfectly. Sorry guys, but you're an awful person, and I wish you awful things just doesn't quite get the point across like I hope you rot in hell you f***ing c***. 

Other than the n word, I stay away from words that hurt other minorities-ethnic slurs, stuff against LGBT, I can understand why retarded is hurtful, etc. Words against half the population? As long as you're being fair (not hateful just toward women), I'm not that upset by it. That said, I applaud those who don't give in to sexist name calling and think we should all try to be better.

Even though I admit I use a lot of the no-no insults, I don't throw them around. One of my pet peeves is women being called names simply for being strong, having opinions, defending themselves, not being doormats, etc. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm not crazy about some of the names above. I've mentioned this before, but it's annoying that balls are associated with bravery/guts, and p word is used to put people down.

My pet peeve where this is concerned is the way simply being called a girl is considered an insult.  I was watching a favourite sitcom the other day and ended up getting mad at the show because the big insult being used against one of the characters was "he plays like a girl".  Oh the horror.  "Cry like a little girl" "don't be such a girl" etc etc.  If being called a boy is used in an insulting manner it's not something I've come across, certainly  not often enough that I'm remembering it!

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

My pet peeve where this is concerned is the way simply being called a girl is considered an insult.  I was watching a favourite sitcom the other day and ended up getting mad at the show because the big insult being used against one of the characters was "he plays like a girl".  Oh the horror.  "Cry like a little girl" "don't be such a girl" etc etc.  If being called a boy is used in an insulting manner it's not something I've come across, certainly  not often enough that I'm remembering it!

Don’t most of the more recent shows have another character call out the character who uses “…like a girl” as an insult?   
I don’t watch shows like “The Connors,” so my impression may be skewed.

ETA: I do seem to recall beloved Dick Van Dyke using something like “throws like a girl” in the mid–20th century, but I don’t know the context.

Edited by shapeshifter
On 11/23/2021 at 6:51 PM, kristen111 said:

Oh, the school yard .. my second home.  The park too.  We were there every chance we got.  It was the meeting place to go.  Men playing softball, the swings, the monkey bars, everything.  The “parkee” we called him who punished us if we were bad.  Good times.

The Parkie--that's a real NYC thing.  The Parks Department guy who ran the playground. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, GussieK said:

The Parkie--that's a real NYC thing.  The Parks Department guy who ran the playground. 

Yes.  Born and raised in Queens, then moved to Long Island when married.  The Parkie kept chasing us out of the bathroom, as some were smoking.  Fun times.  It was our second home.  The whole neighborhood went there.  Ever play hit the ball on your stoop, or make tracks in the street and skate in the lanes?   Go down the hill on your sled?  Make forts for the snowballs.  I’m getting out of hand, lol.  Memories.

My peeves feel so tame today.  Thanksgiving peeves.

1)  Why is it so hard to pull fresh thyme leaves off the stems?  I need them for two recipes.

2)  I always forget an ingredient.  I was supposed to have heavy cream for one casserole. I substituted milk.  It will be fine.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.  I'm making a small dinner for my husband and a couple of friends.  Our families are gone or spread out these days. 

2 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Yes.  Born and raised in Queens, then moved to Long Island when married.  The Parkie kept chasing us out of the bathroom, as some were smoking.  Fun times.  It was our second home.  The whole neighborhood went there.  Ever play hit the ball on your stoop, or make tracks in the street and skate in the lanes?   Go down the hill on your sled?  Make forts for the snowballs.  I’m getting out of hand, lol.  Memories.

I'm from Queens too--we may have exchanged that information before.  I lived near Queens College, if that landmark helps.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, GussieK said:

My peeves feel so tame today.  Thanksgiving peeves.

1)  Why is it so hard to pull fresh thyme leaves off the stems?  I need them for two recipes.

2)  I always forget an ingredient.  I was supposed to have heavy cream for one casserole. I substituted milk.  It will be fine.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.  I'm making a small dinner for my husband and a couple of friends.  Our families are gone or spread out these days. 

I'm from Queens too--we may have exchanged that information before.  I lived near Queens College, if that landmark helps.

Ozone Park.  When it was nice.  Victory Field?  Forest Park lake?  Carousel?  The Mall on Queens Blvd?

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 1

Tangentially Thanksgiving related - people who complain because stores are open on holidays that typically in the past were closed BUT then proceed to patronize the stores that are open.  Do they not see that if they genuinely feel those stores should be closed that they are giving the wrong message to the store owners by going to the stores?  This isn't exactly rocket science here!

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

Tangentially Thanksgiving related - people who complain because stores are open on holidays that typically in the past were closed BUT then proceed to patronize the stores that are open.  Do they not see that if they genuinely feel those stores should be closed that they are giving the wrong message to the store owners by going to the stores?  This isn't exactly rocket science here!

Oh, god, my mom ranted about this all the time when she worked retail. She'd get customers who'd be coming through the checkout and talking to her about how unfair it is that she had to work on a holiday. 

And the whole time my mom would be thinking, "Well, y'know, if you didn't feel the need to shop today, I wouldn't have to be here, so...."

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Oh, god, my mom ranted about this all the time when she worked retail. She'd get customers who'd be coming through the checkout and talking to her about how unfair it is that she had to work on a holiday. 

And the whole time my mom would be thinking, "Well, y'know, if you didn't feel the need to shop today, I wouldn't have to be here, so...."

This was literally every other customer who came through my lane two short years ago. I have very, very little patience for people who wait until the last minute. The holidays are the same days every year. Plan better.

• Love 6

Good covid news of today: I went to get tested yesterday, as I was feeling bad in general and had higher temperature. I am only going out about one time a week to buy groceries and always wear FFP2 mask, but I am always worried since I live with my parents and my mother is immunocompromized due to getting chemotherapy earlier this year, so I wanted to be sure I don't have it. Anyway, I got results today and the test was NEGATIVE, so yay! I think I feel better already after these news. It would have been shitty to get covid now, as I was just thinking a few days ago that I had a covid "anniversary", since I had covid last year around this time in November.

Bad covid news of today: We have had increasingly higher numbers of positive cases for weeks now in my country and all surrounding ones. So we are finally starting another lockdown, but of course our government has decided to impose less restrictions than what practically all experts asked for. So I am quite sceptical about how much this will help. For example: employees that can't work from home need to present either proof of vaccination, recovering from covid or a negative test not older than 7 days. When everyone knows that the test should not be older than 2 days at the most, then it is practically useless. And the unions are already preemptively foaming at the mouth that the employees cannot be required to pay for their tests themselves, as it is being done in some other countries now. FFS, how else will they be motivated to get vaccinated instead?! I am so tired of this incompetence. Sorry for the rant. I meant to post this in chit-chat but it turned out more negative than I anticipated.

• Love 9
33 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

This was literally every other customer who came through my lane two short years ago. I have very, very little patience for people who wait until the last minute. The holidays are the same days every year. Plan better.

Right? It's not like the holidays sneak up and pop out from behind a bush go BOO! And it's the same food very year, you don't have to come up with all sorts of new ideas or novel ingredients. 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

it's annoying that balls are associated with bravery/guts, and p word is used to put people down. 

But, people use the word dick to say someone is a real jerk, so it's not all male=good, female=bad.

• Love 5

I can't engage in the mental gyrations necessary to ignore the sexist context in which "bitch" has traditionally been used, so I don't use it against anyone; there are plenty of insults which aren't gender based for me to hurl at the jerks of the world.

My peeve for today is high winds; this could make grilling the turkey breast interesting this evening.  Not to mention my campfire.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I can't engage in the mental gyrations necessary to ignore the sexist context in which "bitch" has traditionally been used, so I don't use it against anyone; there are plenty of insults which aren't gender based for me to hurl at the jerks of the world.

My peeve for today is high winds; this could make grilling the turkey breast interesting this evening.  Not to mention my campfire.

High winds are the worst.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, GussieK said:

But my stems aren’t that woody so they break apart. Works better with Rosemary. 

Did you try pulling them through a hole in a box grater? Maybe if you pull gently and hold the stem at both ends . . .

We bought an herb-deleafing gizmo made of plastic for some friends. They say it works pretty well. Not that that does you any good right now.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Useful 2
16 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

When family and friends like to wait to take pictures at gatherings end of the night. Why can't we do it pre-eating with fresh hair and makeup? Why when some of us are tired and disheveled? 

And what is my husband's obsession with taking pictures on Christmas morning? Just woke up, hair is a mess, no makeup and puffy eyes is not the look I usually go for.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Thanksgiving related pet peeve: I HATE when people misspell "grateful" as "greatful." I see it a lot and it irks my soul.

I don't know if "grateful" is on one of those Most Commonly Misspelled Words lists, but you will be happy to know, @Lady Whistleup, that even though it is one of the words I struggle with, I always check it!
I was in the front row for a Grateful Dead concert in the 70s, so  I'm embarrassed to have to look it up, but I would be a gazillion times more embarrassed to misspell it. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

My HBO Max app started narrating shows to me, a couple of weeks ago, for no reason that I can work out. I tried to watch something tonight, and it's still doing it. It doesn't do that on my phone, though. I can't figure out how to make it stop.

3 hours ago, Anela said:

My HBO Max app started narrating shows to me, a couple of weeks ago, for no reason that I can work out. I tried to watch something tonight, and it's still doing it. It doesn't do that on my phone, though. I can't figure out how to make it stop.

Have you tried updating your HBO Max app? 
Or you can uninstall and then reinstall. (Make sure you have your username and password handy)

Edited by shapeshifter
44 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Have you tried updating your HBO Max app? 
Or you can uninstall and then reinstall. (Make sure you have your username and password handy)

That's what I'll try next, tomorrow. I had unplugged my roku, hoping that would fix it, but it didn't. 

41 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

There are way too many places to watch TV. I don't want to have to have cable, Netflix, Peacock, Hulu, Amazon, etc. Netflix has so much stuff, but I really want to watch Mad Men. 

It's apparently on Amazon Prime. Do you have that? I just googled, and it said it's there. 

I know what you mean, though. I was happy to sign up for the half-price trial of HBO Max, thinking it would be good to have through the holidays. Then I happened to check my list of things I'd added on Hulu, and had a bit of a panic attack. I have all kinds of things I still need to watch there, on Netflix, and Amazon. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Anela said:

I tried removing it from Roku, and downloading it again, and it didn't work. :( 

This is derived from https://help.hbomax.com/us/Answer/Detail/000001265

I am not having the problem right now
(perhaps because I haven't watched anything on HBO Max for a couple of months——darn Covid delays!)
but apparently a lot of people are having the audio descriptions issue, and I'm using Roku too, so:

"Audio tracks
"Some shows and movies have multiple audio tracks. To switch audio tracks:
"

1. While a video is playing, press the Star button (*) on your Roku remote.
  2. [Scroll down to Accessibility and captions]
  3. Scroll down to Audio track 
  4. Scroll/click right and choose an audio language.
    "
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

This is derived from https://help.hbomax.com/us/Answer/Detail/000001265

I am not having the problem right now
(perhaps because I haven't watched anything on HBO Max for a couple of months——darn Covid delays!)
but apparently a lot of people are having the audio descriptions issue, and I'm using Roku too, so:

"Audio tracks
"Some shows and movies have multiple audio tracks. To switch audio tracks:
"

1. While a video is playing, press the Star button (*) on your Roku remote.
  2. [Scroll down to Accessibility and captions]
  3. Scroll down to Audio track 
  4. Scroll/click right and choose an audio language.
    "

I thought it worked, but it didn't. Thank you, anyway. I've tried that before, just not choosing a language. It stops when they're talking, but then describes their actions to me, in between the talking.