Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, bilgistic said:

As a Gen-Xer, I will never give up clunky shoes.

My shoe-sister! 

Animals going from loved to a crazy shelter living in a cage and will probably be euthanized just destroys me. 

Welcome to my life. The cats that end up in the shelter where I volunteer--right now, we have a 12-year-old from a home! Luckily, we're a no-kill and I get to love them.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

I’m peeved. I was invited over to dinner with my boyfriend to a neighbors house last night for dinner. We go over. I brought a salad (as requested) and wine. Then after arrival the two guys go outside to sit and chat. As the host was setting up the grill he asked if I’d please give a stir to what was on the stove. So I end up in the kitchen cooking what’s on the stovetop. They are outside drinking the wine. Then after dinner I (after some table talk) got up to “help” clear. Help clear my ass. I ended up clearing everything, putting all the condiments away, doing the dishes, wiping up and securing the leftovers in the fridge. I’m wondering if it’s a man thing and this was expected of me because I was the only woman and they sure seemed pretty entitled to relax and let me do all the heavy lifting. Now please don’t get me wrong. I never mind doing my share of helping or dishes but I feel snookered.

• Love 8

@Mindthinkr why did you proceed to continue to cook and do all the cleaning instead giving the thing on the stove a stir / putting things on the kitchen counter (clearing) then joining them outside for a glass of wine?

No one can take advantage of you without your consent. 

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 11
11 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

@Mindthinkr why did you proceed to continue to cook and do all the cleaning instead giving the thing on the stove a stir / putting things on the kitchen counter (clearing) then joining them outside for a glass of wine?

No one can take advantage of you without your consent. 

I did it for a few reasons. 1) I knew the food was going to burn if it wasn’t stirred. (It was beginning to.)  2) These are Southern men and they expect such from the woman (We are older. I don’t think this flies so much with the younger ones). 3) I thought it would be rude to leave him with all of the mess. 4) I wanted them to have some bonding time. 5) After dinner we were going to go over to my guys place for espresso and cognac and I didn’t want all that stuff sitting out. 6) He has two kittens. About 7 months. I didn’t want them up on his counter eating something they shouldn’t and getting sick. 

People are used to me pitching in. My guy got a rude awakening once when he came over for a small dinner party that I held for 10 people. After dinner absolutely nobody offered or helped. He actually got mad at me as it took away from my time with him. He says I have a mark on my forehead, as in “Use me” or dump your problems on me. Perhaps I’m just too nice. I was still peeved because I was exhausted last night and had I known that it was going to be so involved I would have stayed home. We also both thought that his new girlfriend would be joining us and she would have probably helped. 

I guess I shouldn’t have shared here. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I don't think that is the point.  You post started with "I'm peeved" and ended with "I feel snookered."  People have agreed.

I guess my question is, how will you handle this situation in the future?

• Love 10

I'm just not going to get any sleep this week.  The humidity, in which I couldn't stay asleep, finally broke last night after a week or so and there was moving air and it was wonderful.  Then it started rattling the blinds in the bedroom, so I had to shut the windows and it got stuffy.  And then a smoke detector somewhere in the neighborhood went off at 11:45 and didn't stop until the fire department showed up at 1:00.  I think they broke in and shut it off.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Oh, now you've done it.  Astrology drives me INSANE. 

I took an informal astronomy class many many years ago, taught by some astronomy teaching assistants at a major university.  The main thing I remember is that they said that because of the way things have shifted, the astrological signs we use today are basically a month off.  What!?!?  But it's true.

https://www.livescience.com/9292-wobbly-earth-means-horoscope-wrong.html

So no offense to anyone here, but every time I hear someone talk about how this or that is because of an astrological sign, I want to scream.

ETA:  And I'm curious--for those who believe in astrology, how do you reconcile the fact that the signs we use today are a month off? 

I believe the flattering traits!

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

I guess my question is, how will you handle this situation in the future?

Next time we’re not accepting the invitation unless his girlfriend is there. I’m also going to be a guest, not a worker bee. 

• Love 9
58 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I did it for a few reasons. 1) I knew the food was going to burn if it wasn’t stirred. (It was beginning to.)  2) These are Southern men and they expect such from the woman (We are older. I don’t think this flies so much with the younger ones). 3) I thought it would be rude to leave him with all of the mess. 4) I wanted them to have some bonding time. 5) After dinner we were going to go over to my guys place for espresso and cognac and I didn’t want all that stuff sitting out. 6) He has two kittens. About 7 months. I didn’t want them up on his counter eating something they shouldn’t and getting sick. 

People are used to me pitching in. My guy got a rude awakening once when he came over for a small dinner party that I held for 10 people. After dinner absolutely nobody offered or helped. He actually got mad at me as it took away from my time with him. He says I have a mark on my forehead, as in “Use me” or dump your problems on me. Perhaps I’m just too nice. I was still peeved because I was exhausted last night and had I known that it was going to be so involved I would have stayed home. We also both thought that his new girlfriend would be joining us and she would have probably helped. 

I don't think I implied that you shouldn't have shared and I do apologize if it came across that way.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, theredhead77 said:

I don't think I implied that you shouldn't have shared and I do apologize if it came across that way.

I might be a bit stabby today. (I really was exhausted last night and then after my full day yesterday I had to shop and make the salad) I may have read it wrong. I’m sorry. No need for your apology. We are good. I’m probably not making a lot of sense right now. Too many nights of not enough sleep. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, PRgal said:

ANOTHER pet peeve: People who overdo scents.  There are those who're very sensitive and standing in the elevator, even for under a minute will make them sick.  And speaking of smells - a guy in my building walked in the elevator a few days ago smelling like he hadn't showered in days.  UGH 

Chile!

There is a popular male scent going around now that smells like the Black Ice car freshener.....Jesus Claudio Christ, I hate this scent!!

Black Ice.jpeg

It seems like every African American male wears it.  I literally get an attitude as soon as the scent hits me, it smells like ass and always gives me an immediate headache.

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

We also both thought that his new girlfriend would be joining us and she would have probably helped. 

That still has only the women doing the cleaning up.  If women want to do it, that's fine (I'm female and I enjoy cleaning, much to my feminist chagrin), but I sure bristle at the men smoking their cigars by the fire while the women clean up.

Shoot--I even bristle when groups naturally break out into a group of men and a group of women, and will usually do what I can to disrupt it, sidling into the circle of men.

[Which brings up another HUGE peeve--it's common for RV owners to get together at "rallies."  Invariably, one of the scheduled items will be "a tech talk session for the men" and "crafts for the ladies."  Couldn't they just say that at 2:00 there will be tech talk and crafts sessions?  Noooooooooooooooooo.]

4) I wanted them to have some bonding time

People can bond while doing the dishes.  I see it in movies all the time.

3) I thought it would be rude to leave him with all of the mess.

But isn't part of hosting agreeing to be the one left with all the mess?

When I was in my 20s, I had a boyfriend who went to a Bible study group in the evening.  One guy had a house (everybody else lived in apartments) and would often host, but people always said it was weird that when it was over, everybody was expected to pitch in and help clean up.  And not just put paper cups in the trash.  He would bring out the vacuum cleaner, and one woman told me that after this had gone on for a while, she suddenly had this epiphany as she saw her hand reaching out for the vacuum cleaner handle:  "Why am I doing this?" 

We wondered if he used having everyone over for Bible study as a way to get his house cleaning done.

On the bright side, it wasn't just the women who were expected to clean.

1 hour ago, palmaire said:

the first red flag was your neighbor inviting two people over for dinner and making it pot luck! Bring a salad, my ass.

This is something I just don't get.  If I invite people over to my house, it's because I want to have their company.  I don't want their wine, or their salad, or a candle.

Actually, I might want their salad, if they were known for making one that I love and can't make myself, in which case I might, when they invariably ask if there's anything they can bring, say that it would be fabulous if they could bring that salad I love so much, and I might even add that the whole thing is just a ruse for me to get it. 

But absent something hugely special like that, I don't expect or even want people to bring me anything but their selves (ay, the grammar! but I think it's right).

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Next time we’re not accepting the invitation unless his girlfriend is there. I’m also going to be a guest, not a worker bee. 

Or, you know...crazy thought...the MEN could also clean up.

Take this with a quarry of salt since I haven't been in a romantic relationship with a man in years, but perhaps next time you could say to the host, "Thank you, host, for such a nice dinner! Can boyfriend and I help you clean up?"

It's lovely that you want to help clean up as a thank you for the dinner, but you absolutely shouldn't be the only one doing it.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

People can bond while doing the dishes.  I see it in movies all the time.

Only women and they must have a glass of wine and someone must break a glass or a dish.

3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

This is something I just don't get.  If I invite people over to my house, it's because I want to have their company.  I don't want their wine, or their salad, or a candle.

I think this is social circle / event dependent. Before I moved (when I had friends) parties were "parties" (aka drunkfests) and everyone showed up with a bottle of something, a case of something and/or a snack. The host was offering the space and more food / booze. Pizza funds were collected if 2am pizza was being ordered but that's just how we rolled and it was mostly done as a cost saving measure, bar drinks are expensive!

Right before I left I had a 'come over and eat my food / drink my booze" party and my friends showed up with more food and more booze. I told them to take it ALL when they left.

Edited by theredhead77
Fixing my bizarre sentence
  • Love 4

It's rude and sexist, and I would not be dining there ever again.  I would, however, be having a very pointed conversation with the boyfriend, who seems to keep subjecting you to rude people.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

When I was in my 20s, I had a boyfriend who went to a Bible study group in the evening.  One guy had a house (everybody else lived in apartments) and would often host, but people always said it was weird that when it was over, everybody was expected to pitch in and help clean up.  And not just put paper cups in the trash.  He would bring out the vacuum cleaner, and one woman told me that after this had gone on for a while, she suddenly had this epiphany as she saw her hand reaching out for the vacuum cleaner handle:  "Why am I doing this?" 

The vacuum cleaner seems a bit much, but if he's hosting every week simply because he's the only one with room, it does seem like group clean up would be in order.  But, just the mess made that evening.  Not his regular chores.

• Love 1
On 8/30/2018 at 10:16 AM, Vixenstud said:

Why'd I have to stumble into this topic....I blame all of you, lol.

Okay.  So I'm an Executive Assistant and I sit right...in...front of the boss.  Sir or Madam, please don't walk by my desk while I AM SITTING THERE, tentatively peer into her office then have the utter balls to come back to me and ask a question, like 'Is she available to talk?'

The bluedilly fuck?!

Hey asshole, GOOD MORNING!  HELLO!  Give a bitch some type of muhfuckin' greeting!  And don't get offended when I immediately correct you, because your ass was straight up rude and you need to be fucking called out on it.  

I can put up with a lot in this position but don't act like I'm the goddamned lackey.  I said all that to say that rudeness is up there on the top 10 Pet Peeves of mine.

*Puts on happy music before I have to machete a bastard*

Please don't machete me, if I'm who you're talking about.  I came from an environment where executive assistants have a lot to do besides chit-chat with me and be a gatekeeper for the boss.  I figured if a quick glance into the office would save a step and avoid disturbing whatever you're working on, that's what I'd do.  And office greetings are a whole other topic (first time you see someone today?  every time you pass in the halls? arrgh - too stressful for INTJ or whatever the heck I am).  But I get your point - learn to read the room!  And admin/executive assistants are all powerful!

• Love 4
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

I figured if a quick glance into the office would save a step and avoid disturbing whatever you're working on, that's what I'd do.

You're sweet, but no.....disturb me.  Matta fack, I'm already disturbed.  (But you didn't hear that from me!)

Anyway, if I can get interrupted non-stop when I'm having lunch (I'm talkin' mid shovel of chips in my mouth, but I digress!) then yes, interrupt me.

This one time I'll spare you the machete....but don't let it happen again, bub!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m peeved. I was invited over to dinner with my boyfriend to a neighbors house last night for dinner. We go over. I brought a salad (as requested) and wine. Then after arrival the two guys go outside to sit and chat. As the host was setting up the grill he asked if I’d please give a stir to what was on the stove. So I end up in the kitchen cooking what’s on the stovetop. They are outside drinking the wine. Then after dinner I (after some table talk) got up to “help” clear. Help clear my ass. I ended up clearing everything, putting all the condiments away, doing the dishes, wiping up and securing the leftovers in the fridge. I’m wondering if it’s a man thing and this was expected of me because I was the only woman and they sure seemed pretty entitled to relax and let me do all the heavy lifting. Now please don’t get me wrong. I never mind doing my share of helping or dishes but I feel snookered.

You were used & abused, girlfriend.  I'd be pissed, too, and would NEVER go back.  "Boyfriend" would be on my shit list too, for participating in such nutfuckery.

9 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

2) These are Southern men and they expect such from the woman (We are older. I don’t think this flies so much with the younger ones).

OK - major peeve coming up.  This notion that being "Southern" is somehow like being a special unicorn, with different rules than the rest of us commoners, and is an explanation/excuse for anything.  As far as I know, nobody ever uses that cop out about being "Northern".  Same with being old, or old school.  Rude is rude, assholes are assholes.  No matter where they're from, or how young or old they are. I'm old, too, but haven't seen those attitudes since my parent's grandparent's generation.

[/rant]  I may need a nap, or some food, or both!   :-)

• Love 18
7 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But isn't part of hosting agreeing to be the one left with all the mess?

I hate when people help clear the table at my house because they do it wrong. They stack all the plates together without rinsing, which means I then have to rinse both sides because now the bottom of the plate has food all over it. We don't have a dishwasher (besides ourselves), and I like to rinse everything as it comes off the table so when you make a sink of soapy water and put dishes in it, you're not putting the food in it as well. That's gross. But people will insist on helping, and "Oh, you don't need to do that," just doesn't work. And I can't say, "Stop trying to help. You're doing it wrong and making more work for me," to family (particularly in-law family, who I really like but who I wish would stop helping clear the table).

5 hours ago, Katy M said:

The vacuum cleaner seems a bit much, but if he's hosting every week simply because he's the only one with room, it does seem like group clean up would be in order.  But, just the mess made that evening.  Not his regular chores.

I can see getting the vacuum cleaner out if he vacuumed before everyone came and the people who ate dropped crumbs all over the floor -- for instance, if they ate popcorn, there's going to be popcorn on the floor. Now if he brings out the dusters or the bathtub scrubbing things, that's a different story.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, auntlada said:

I hate when people help clear the table at my house because they do it wrong. They stack all the plates together without rinsing, which means I then have to rinse both sides because now the bottom of the plate has food all over it. We don't have a dishwasher (besides ourselves), and I like to rinse everything as it comes off the table so when you make a sink of soapy water and put dishes in it, you're not putting the food in it as well. That's gross. But people will insist on helping, and "Oh, you don't need to do that," just doesn't work. And I can't say, "Stop trying to help. You're doing it wrong and making more work for me," to family (particularly in-law family, who I really like but who I wish would stop helping clear the table).

I know, right!?!  Used plates shall not be stacked!  And don't mess with my fine china - it's been passed down from my Mum and has avoided mishaps for more than half a century - BECAUSE we didn't let anyone fuck with it!  I found it helpful to forcefully insist on doing it myself (or my way), whilst subtly brandishing the carving knife.   Failing that, "Freeze, motherfucker!" also worked.   :-)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, auntlada said:

I can see getting the vacuum cleaner out if he vacuumed before everyone came and the people who ate dropped crumbs all over the floor -- for instance, if they ate popcorn, there's going to be popcorn on the floor. Now if he brings out the dusters or the bathtub scrubbing things, that's a different story.

It's been forever ago so I don't remember the details, but I do know that people were always talking about the amount of cleaning he expected them to do--it was definitely disproportionate to any mess they'd made.  Like they were cleaning rooms they weren't even in.  I always pictured it looking like a team from Merry Maids had sprung into action.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, forumfish said:

Well bless your pea-pickin' heart. ;)

Just kidding -- my New Jersey friend says I can use a little more "Yankee rudeness" from time to time. She also says I could insult her and it would take her a week to realize it.

I lurve me some peas - especially fresh picked.  But I can see a "sweet Southern barb" from a mile away.  ;-)

My Canadian friends used to lament "walnutqueen, you've become so RUDE since you moved to The States".  And that was when I lived in "friendly" Hawaii, and then in "laid back" SoCal!!!  The world is most fortunate that I didn't land in, say, New York City.  Hee!

• Love 2
21 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Or, you know...crazy thought...the MEN could also clean up.

My former FIL and his wife (now my ex ex step MIL because we both divorced'em) did a LOT of entertaining and both had OCD*.  He was a school teacher and she was a bank exec so he had shorter hours and did most of the cooking.  Even during parties, he would be clearing and cleaning up stuff because he could not tolerate the disorder.  No one helped him because he wouldn't allow it (graciously stated). He eventually gave in to letting me help him load the dishwasher and put away serving dishes (that he had meticulously washed and dried) because I said if he did not let me help I was going to go occupy myself by rearranging  all his books by height or color (he had thousands of books, many first edition signed crime novels lovingly organized by author and date of publication).  He caved.  After that, we fell into a nice rhythm where he was actually comfortable with me being unsupervised for short periods of time during clean up.

*At one party, I went into the bathroom to blow my nose because I was dealing with seasonal allergies.  I threw the tissue into the empty wastebasket.  15 minutes I went back to blow my nose again and the waste basket was empty.

• Love 1

Hey, belated thanks to everyone who shared my peeve about last minute standing plan changes and who offered insight - greatly appreciated. For anyone keeping score at home, I emailed the group and said that the weather (which, um, didn't amount to jack squat - THANKS hysterical meteorologists desperately seeking more clicks) looked OK but why didn't we push back a half an hour just to get the worst out of the way. Other members quickly chimed in and gave the thumbs up, so NM did, in fact, show up, ready to go. Our group does have a Rebel Leader, but said leader has been having family issues and so our group has been a bit in flux anyway, so I'll simmer down about NM for now and, if NM keeps it up in the upcoming months when Rebel Leader returns, I'll mention something to Rebel Leader. The whole rescheduling snafu did kind of take over my headspace, but that's on me - anyway, appreciate the chance to come here and vent. Was the best part of the whole thing. :)

Anyway, I'm a dirty dishes stacker because I think it looks messier to leave them all strewn on the counter. But I see your point about rinsing. I'm always nervous about helping clear when I'm at someone else's home because I want to be polite, but I also know some people don't appreciate anyone else mucking in their garbage disposal. I'm going to watch my MIL next time I'm there to see how she stacks or doesn't before I help. She's not someone who appreciates "help" that makes more work for her.

Godspeed, @VIXENSTUD. Anything I can do make admin life easier I want to put on my list. I feel really badly for admins at my workplace because people don't respect that they're supposed to be assigned to certain people. Anyone and everyone constantly asks for their help - especially for last minute emergencies. Once, I was in a meeting with some asshole bigwig and another person's admin assistant came up to the meeting with a sandwich for him because asshole couldn't order his own damn lunch or stuff a powerbar down his gullet for his packed day of sitting in meetings, pissing and moaning about how dumb everyone is.

Anyway, my peeve is when people comment about my lunch. If I carry a plate of salad back from the kitchen, I am besieged with "oooh! Salad! That looks so healthy." or "oh, that looks impressive." If I heat something up, I hear, "That smells so good! What is it?" I carry hella baggage about my eating habits and have no small amount of body shame, so I never take these comments as friendly and just want to throw said salad or delicious smelling leftover at the person's face. Shut the hell up and go get your own lunch so you can keep your eyes on your own plate. Goddamn.

And lunch meetings - dear god. Crammed around a table stuck listening to slurping swallowing smacking in stereo and listening to people try to talk around giant mouthfuls of food and spitting like an accidental watermelon seed contest? Fuck. that. shit. 

And since I've stumbled onto an eating rant - dear coworkers: if you walk over to my desk and see me take a bite of my none of your business lunch, please kindly wait until I swallow before asking me your question. Better yet, notice that I'm eating and tell me you'll come back in a bit, giving me time to, you know, chew? Please don't stand there and say, "oh, I'm sorry...that looked like a really good mouthful, too," or "Oh, I'm interrupting what looks like a really good lunch," and then watch me. It's creepy. It's annoying.

Yes, I know, I am not normal. Please let me try to keep that to myself, k?

• Love 10

I once made a comment on someone's lunch and they pretty much told me what you just said. Well, it was shorter and I think included a swear. I don't do that anymore!

Ugh, the people who come to your desk and say "Oh, I'm sorry - you're eating lunch" and then keep talking or asking questions. You just said you can see what I'm doing, so go away. Your questions will keep.

• Love 4

People are usually forced to eat at their desks because they are overworked and have no time to take actual lunch breaks. That has been the case in my experience, and is generally an indicator of poor management and understaffing.

It'd be nice to find a job in which one is allowed to take a non-working lunch break away from one's desk. That's one thing I'm looking for--being able to take breaks.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 9

I tend to eat at my desk for multiple reasons. First, I like to use the gym during my lunch hour, so I used eating time to drink that. Also, I’m antisocial. 

I accept that my boss and my boss’s boss will talk to me while I’m eating. I put my lunch down if they need me. 

Most everyone else sees that I’m eating and gives me time to finish. And I do the same for them. 

• Love 3

I find that if I eat my lunch in the breakroom or kitchen, people stop by and talk even though I'm reading a book while eating, which I thought was the universal signal for "I don't want to talk to you right now. Go away." I also tend to go the gym at lunch, though, and so when I bring my lunch I eat at my desk because I used my lunch hour to exercise (which I would love to do at a different time, but I don't have a different time because the boy is too young to be left alone at home).

• Love 2

I guess I'm lucky.  I get an hour for lunch (or dinner, if I'm working the evening shift) and I live close enough to go home for lunch.  There are times that I would love to eat lunch at my desk and get some more work done, but we aren't allowed to have food in our offices, just coffee or other drinks in covered containers.  I have been known to sneak a snack at my desk (something that doesn't smell and can be easily hidden if the boss comes around).  My case is different from a lot of others here, probably.  I work at a university library and all of the staff offices have glass fronts and look out over the public area.  The boss says that it's 'unprofessional' to be seen eating in the offices where students and others can see us.  Also, we have several staff who would try to claim the time as overtime if they were allowed to eat lunch at their desks, even if they were playing on the computer while they ate.  

Which leads me to my peeve:  I'm okay with not being allowed to have food in our offices, but we're also not allowed to have coffee pots in our departments (they are allowed only the staff lounge).  It was okay when my department/office was right next to the lounge, but I've since been moved upstairs, and it's too much trouble to go downstairs to make coffee.  I settle for just drinking coffee at home in the morning and bringing the rest to work in a travel mug--this gets me through the morning.  Afternoons aren't too bad--I don't seem to miss the caffeine then. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

Which leads me to my peeve:  I'm okay with not being allowed to have food in our offices, but we're also not allowed to have coffee pots in our departments (they are allowed only the staff lounge).  It was okay when my department/office was right next to the lounge, but I've since been moved upstairs, and it's too much trouble to go downstairs to make coffee.  I settle for just drinking coffee at home in the morning and bringing the rest to work in a travel mug--this gets me through the morning.  Afternoons aren't too bad--I don't seem to miss the caffeine then

I don't work for them, but... Mr ebk loves his Hydro Flask coffee thermos-type thing.  It does keep your beverage hot all day, so if you fill it in the morning and take it with you, you will have hot coffee all day - or until it's empty.  And you won't have to go downstairs.  

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Quof said:

Barack Obama at John's McCain's funeral "to make George and I say nice things about him"

And the English language is officially dead. I weep.

I actually read I's the other day. Along the lines of, It is Mary's and I's wish to... 

200.gif

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Quof said:

Barack Obama at John's McCain's funeral "to make George and I say nice things about him"

And the English language is officially dead. I weep.

I wept a few times during that funeral.  But not at the death of the English language.  :-(

Not in any way related to the quoted above:

I do mourn what I see as the demise of civility - in politics, society and social discourse.  And I'm pretty fuckin' rude myself, at times.  It just seems like people are choosing to take a genuine difference in beliefs or opinions as some personal affront that needs to be reciprocated in kind.  Even something as trifling as a silly reality TV show seems to devolve into personal poo-flinging.

So, divisiveness is my peeve du jour.

• Love 13

My peeve is other people's snoring. It's a cruel joke that such a loud and obnoxious sound should be allowed to be produced by our bodies, and the snorer gets to sleep soundly while the companion has to suffer such noise pollution. My sister slept over last night and we shared my bed since my couch isn't very comfortable for either of us to sleep on. OMFG. It was non-stop noise from the moment she fell asleep until the moment she woke up. Everytime I got to sleep, another loud honk woke me up. She doesn't believe that she snores like that on top of it.

Add that on to me coming down with a cold and dealing with all the aches and pains associated with that, and its good thing she left for work first thing this morning because I think I am liable to bite anyone's head off if I had to have face-to-face communication with them.  This forum is as much "peopling" as I want to do today.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 8

I'm a snorer. I'm sorry. I don't get enough air through my nose and I'm a mouth-breather.

My peeve: The podiatrist prescribed me horse tranquilizer-sized antibiotics (Augmentin 875mg) to ward off infection after having the left side of my left big toenail excised due to an ingrown toenail. TMI forthcoming...my stomach is so messed up from this antibiotic! I've been in the bathroom several times a day since beginning the med on Thursday. My guts are already kind of a mess and I take a probiotic and psyllium fiber daily just to be at a "normal" baseline. My stomach is constantly and loudly churning and bubbling since taking this med.

My toe seems to be doing well. I'm soaking twice daily in epsom salt water per instructions. There's very little pain, usually only when I soak. Some swelling, but not bad.

I'm thinking I'll try halving the antibiotic pill and see if that helps some. This side effect is pretty intolerable. I have a follow-up with the podiatrist Thursday.

• Love 3

I worked for a podiatrist for a couple years as a medical assistant, and we never prescribed anything as far as antibiotics after an ingrown toenail.  Just the soaks, though it domeboro we recommended.  If the side effects are that terrible, you should call them and see if you actually need to take it, seeing as how it's just prophylactic.  Some Neosporin would probably suffice, especially if it doesn't look infected (redness, pus).  

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I'm a snorer. I'm sorry. I don't get enough air through my nose and I'm a mouth-breather.

My peeve: The podiatrist prescribed me horse tranquilizer-sized antibiotics (Augmentin 875mg) to ward off infection after having the left side of my left big toenail excised due to an ingrown toenail. TMI forthcoming...my stomach is so messed up from this antibiotic! I've been in the bathroom several times a day since beginning the med on Thursday. My guts are already kind of a mess and I take a probiotic and psyllium fiber daily just to be at a "normal" baseline. My stomach is constantly and loudly churning and bubbling since taking this med.

I probably am too since I am also a mouth-breather. Its just that 95% of the time I've shared a bed with someone, they've fallen asleep first and if they are a snorer I have to deal with the noise. I have chronic neck and back pain that makes it hard for me to get comfortable enough to sleep anyway, so snoring just sends me over the edge.

In reference to your antibiotic peeve, I also have gastritis and GERD and have the same side effects. I usually end up taking one pill a day instead of two, or if they prescribe it once a day, I cut in half.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, janestclair said:

I worked for a podiatrist for a couple years as a medical assistant, and we never prescribed anything as far as antibiotics after an ingrown toenail.  Just the soaks, though it domeboro we recommended.  If the side effects are that terrible, you should call them and see if you actually need to take it, seeing as how it's just prophylactic.  Some Neosporin would probably suffice, especially if it doesn't look infected (redness, pus).  

21 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

In reference to your antibiotic peeve, I also have gastritis and GERD and have the same side effects. I usually end up taking one pill a day instead of two, or if they prescribe it once a day, I cut in half.

This makes me feel better about cutting the med in half at least until I can talk to the doc on Tuesday. Thanks!

I just called and left a message. My stomach has calmed down some because my last dose was at about 10 this morning, but there's still quite a bit of bubbling and churning. I need to eat, but I don't want to.

I'm allergic to sulfa, which is another class of antibiotic; it gives me a rash. I've never had this strong a reaction to antibiotics before. I last had to take them when Bilgisticat bit me.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I just called and left a message. My stomach has calmed down some because my last dose was at about 10 this morning, but there's still quite a bit of bubbling and churning. I need to eat, but I don't want to.

I'm allergic to sulfa, which is another class of antibiotic; it gives me a rash. I've never had this strong a reaction to antibiotics before. I last had to take them when Bilgisticat bit me.

Is it keflex by chance? It did quite a number on my daughter, once upon a time.

• Love 1

I'm glad you called, @bilgistic! That sounds a lot like a reaction I had to keflex or Erythromycin. Also: unless it's scored for cutting don't cut the pills in half - they are designed in that shape for their activity. I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on the internet but if it were me I'd stop taking it until I heard back from the doc before I cut it.

My medication peeve is instructions to "take twice a day" but they don't tell you how far apart.  

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm glad you called, @bilgistic! That sounds a lot like a reaction I had to Kleflex or Erythromycin.

My medication peeve is instructions to "take twice a day" but they don't tell you how far apart.  

Twice a day would be 12 hours apart, but it doesn’t have to be exact. An example, passing meds to 30 people, there’s no way to give all of them twice a day exactly 12 hours apart. An hour either way is normally the “rule”.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Is it keflex by chance? It did quite a number on my daughter, once upon a time.

It's the generic version of Augmentin, which is amoxicillin 875 mg and clavamox 125 mg. The tablets are scored. I think I could lose a leg and this med would fight off infection. "My" pharmacist mentioned it being very strong and was curious why I needed it. (We have oddly intimate conversations since he knows all my dark medical secrets!) I haven't gotten a call back from the on-call doc yet. I'm going to attempt to eat dinner. I last had cereal this morning.

• Love 1