Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

...I get that my hatred of invasive smells is kind of on me. But man, my head aches.

But it's not on you when the smell invades your house and you have no choice about it. Is pot legal where you live? I would try to casually bring up the smell the next time you see your neighbors, to see if it really is them. That smell is so stinky and so strong, it's probably getting into your clothes and everything else you own. I'm fine with people's rights to do and smoke what they want in their own houses, but not when it affects others.

Pot just makes me sleepy, which is disappointing. I was hoping for a chill, relaxed, goofy feeling.

They had to cancel the city fireworks here this year because of rain, which is disappointing, but not surprising. Rain was forecast after all. It happens every few years, sometimes more than that. It's better when it's canceled because of rain, though, than when it's canceled because of drought. (We always seem to have too much or too little rain, never just the right amount.) It didn't rain on the Fourth, but rained a lot the night before. Because the park where they do the fireworks doesn't have a lot of paved parking, they always have a grassy area set up as parking. If it rains too much (we got 3 inches the night before), you can't park on the grass. And why would you want to?

Anyway, that's not my peeve. My peeve is the people who think it's the worst thing in the world that the city had to cancel the fireworks because of rain. Someone has never lived anywhere else where fireworks were canceled for rain. They should have them some other place, like the stadium. (That sounds awful to me. Long lines to get in, uncomfortable seats, crowding up next to people I don't even know. Sitting in my own lawn chair by the lake is better. Also, the university has a better stadium now. They might not agree to it.) It's not like we'll never see the fireworks. Last year, they did it on Labor Day. One year, it was on Statehood Day, which is in November. It was actually much nicer. It was a lot cooler and earlier because it gets dark earlier in November. Also, it was the 100th anniversary of statehood, so that was nice.

These people are acting like their whole holiday was ruined because they didn't get to go watch fireworks. We spent the day doing family things and then went to the park for a picnic. And got to go to bed early.

• Love 3
On 7/3/2017 at 8:08 PM, bilgistic said:

Now it says it'll be delivered "July 3-July 5”. Goddammit. I hope the food I have will last until Wednesday. OF COURSE this happens the day before a holiday.

It was a long weekend, and I'm sure a lot of people requested time off. I'm glad you found cat food locally. 

On 7/3/2017 at 1:28 PM, TattleTeeny said:

We all have balconies too! Get on your balcony, otherwise seemingly nice pothead (I think) neighbors!

I honestly don't know what to do about smoking.  Doing it outside may be better for you, but it might affect others.  I had a neighbor who smoked cigarettes on her balcony and it wafted into my apartment from there; if she'd stayed inside, it wouldn't have.

Same with cretins smoking at the entrance to apartment buildings.  It's bad enough passing by them on the sidewalk, but if I lived in there and had to walk through it to get to my place?  Yuck.

I ride my bike around town a lot and it's just terrible the amount of cigarette smoke I have to deal with in the great outdoors.  And don't get me started on how it's ruined walking in NYC because you're constantly in the wake of a cigarette now that people can't smoke inside any more.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Tell them to move to my area, auntlada! Plenty of damn fools shooting them off for no apparent reason here!

They started celebrating with fireworks here on Friday.  I'm sure they will stop when they run out of fireworks.  Today is not that day.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I honestly don't know what to do about smoking.  Doing it outside may be better for you, but it might affect others.  I had a neighbor who smoked cigarettes on her balcony and it wafted into my apartment from there; if she'd stayed inside, it wouldn't have.

Same with cretins smoking at the entrance to apartment buildings.  It's bad enough passing by them on the sidewalk, but if I lived in there and had to walk through it to get to my place?  Yuck.

I ride my bike around town a lot and it's just terrible the amount of cigarette smoke I have to deal with in the great outdoors.  And don't get me started on how it's ruined walking in NYC because you're constantly in the wake of a cigarette now that people can't smoke inside any more.

When I go outside to smoke, it's usually (A) with another smoker and/or (B) to get away from people, other smokers included. I've been known to walk off around a corner from a bar entrance, much to the chagrin of my BF or friends, who don't think my "hide out in a dark alley" routine is one of my better plans. My rear-facing, top-floor balcony shouldn't pose much trouble for my neighbors, at least. 

• Love 2

Few things at work make me happy, but oh, how I rejoiced when, at the building where I work, the ownership moved the smoking area down a floor in the parking deck so those of us non-smokers coming in or leaving no longer have to walk through a cloud of smoke to enter the building from the deck.

For some unknown reason, the smoking area was immediately outside the parking deck entry to the building. Maybe it was grandfathered in at one point, but now they are making renovations, so I'm guessing they have to adhere to the 50-foot (or whatever) rule.

Again, smoke all you want (and I'd vote for smokers' rights and would vote to legalize pot), but I don't want to smell it or smell like it. I think we all just want equal courteousness and responsibility.

• Love 3

So my cat and I are both annoyed. I placed an order for cat treats online because it was cheaper to by them in bulk then to purchase them in store. Problem is, my cat ran out of her treats yesterday and they aren't set to be delivered until tomorrow PM. So all day she's been pestering me for her treats and I don't have any to give her.  I am NOT going to waste money on a whole bag at the store---they are just treats, and she has her wet and dry food to keep her full. She's annoyed because she's not getting her daily fix (she usually gets 2-3 niblets when I leave for and come home from work) and I am annoyed because I'm being stalked and yelled at every time I get off the couch. How I wish she was like my other cat who won't eat anything except her wet and dry food.

• Love 5

"My cat and I are annoyed" made me laugh. Poor kitty doesn't have her snacky treats for a couple days. She'll be very grateful when she gets them. I mean, as much as cats are grateful.

• Love 7
(edited)

Some (not all) smokers simply don't understand/care that just because they're smoking outside, it's still irritating to those around them, even ten feet away.  I have a second job in which I am often outdoors and people will ask all the time where they're allowed to smoke.  I tell them anywhere outside but at least ten feet downwind of me.  My headscratcher are those who think it's okay to smoke inside a tent because it has no sides but then express amazement that they should stamp out their butts on the ground.  We can easily clear your cigarettes from the ground but it's not as easy to remove the smoke from our bodies.

ETA: I'm listening to a radio show about the role of religion in today's society and it's reminding me how much I want to slap people who say, "I'm not religious but I'm very spiritual." In my grinchy heart, that means they love scented candles, took a yoga class once and feel really, really good about themselves when they donate to charity. I know; I'm a brat. I blame Oprah.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Qoass said:

I'm listening to a radio show about the role of religion in today's society and it's reminding me how much I want to slap people who say, "I'm not religious but I'm very spiritual." In my grinchy heart, that means they love scented candles, took a yoga class once and feel really, really good about themselves when they donate to charity. I know; I'm a brat. I blame Oprah.

HA! I see nothing wrong with that opinion. I think you change it to "I credit Oprah".

I'm giving away collectibles that I've had in a box for close to a decade to close friends who want them, and am just asking them to cover postage. Give them a good home, put them on display, it's all good. I said I don't use Paypal, they can send the postage via USPS or Venmo.

One person sent me $40 right away and told me to send her back some, but not all of the difference for postage (it ended up being less than $10). The other person is griping because I won't download their banks money transfer app. I said she could send me a cash or a check but apparently that is too hard. I'm doing you a favor here, don't make me feel bad for not downloading the app of your preference. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I'm being stalked and yelled at every time I get off the couch.

Cats have staff. Wouldn't you criticize your employees for not doing their job?

I've never heard of Venmo. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I understand that the kids use Venmo now (whatever that is) to pay each other. I've had PayPal for 15 years. It's free to send money directly to friends/family/individuals.

I had such a negative experience with PayPal (unrelated to eBay) that I shuttered my account over 5 years ago and haven't looked back.

• Love 2

I have a peeve - those fucking scam calls that want you to change your energy supplier.  I come back from a Target run and my mom (who has dementia) is on the phone with one of them with our gas bill in front of her.  I have no idea what in hell she told them, but I looked up the number.  Definite scam.  So I called PSE&G and told them what happened, and according to them they can't do anything to flag the account to not change it.  We have to wait for a letter saying it has been changed.  What the actual fuck sense does that make?

Meanwhile, she doesn't have enough of her wits about her to pay the bill, but she knows where we keep them?  Guess who just moved all the bills?

• Love 7

I hate people who are always late. After my friend was late to pick me up for a ride to the airport, I try to avoid meeting her for anything that is time-dependent because she cannot show up on time. 

Well, she invited me to be her guest at her gym for a group class. I should have known better, but I went. I show up early, just in case there is something we have to do since I'm her guest, and I like to choose my place in the class, especially if it's busy. She showed up 10 minutes after the class started and didn't even have a guest pass. I wanted to strangle her! She didn't even apologize, like I should just know that the time posted doesn't apply to her. 

• Love 11
39 minutes ago, janestclair said:

I have a peeve - those fucking scam calls that want you to change your energy supplier.  I come back from a Target run and my mom (who has dementia) is on the phone with one of them with our gas bill in front of her.  I have no idea what in hell she told them, but I looked up the number.  Definite scam.  So I called PSE&G and told them what happened, and according to them they can't do anything to flag the account to not change it.  We have to wait for a letter saying it has been changed.  What the actual fuck sense does that make?

Meanwhile, she doesn't have enough of her wits about her to pay the bill, but she knows where we keep them?  Guess who just moved all the bills?

How about those calls that pretend to be "Steve" from the IRS telling you you owe umpteen thousand dollars in back taxes? I always ask how the weather is in Mumbai. Before I insult his mother, of course.

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, Frisson said:

I hate people who are always late. After my friend was late to pick me up for a ride to the airport, I try to avoid meeting her for anything that is time-dependent because she cannot show up on time. 

Well, she invited me to be her guest at her gym for a group class. I should have known better, but I went. I show up early, just in case there is something we have to do since I'm her guest, and I like to choose my place in the class, especially if it's busy. She showed up 10 minutes after the class started and didn't even have a guest pass. I wanted to strangle her! She didn't even apologize, like I should just know that the time posted doesn't apply to her. 

I have a friend who is habitually late.  And, I have three semi-funny stories, just because I think her attitude was ridiculous.

1.  We're supposed to meet for breakfast on Saturday.  I have a volunteer job I did on Sat that at 10.  It wasn't particularly close to the restaurant.  She wanted to meet at 9:30.  I was like seriously?  How about 9?  We settled on 9:15.  So, the next morning, I'm on my way to the restaurant when my cell phone rings.  I pull over to answer it because I totally know what's going to happen.  She says she's running late.  I say why don't we just skip it then.  I said it in a nice voice.  She got mad at me.  Ok, whatever. 

2.  She was working part-time, so had some free time one day.  She wanted to meet for lunch at Subway at 12.  I have a half hour lunch.  I actually left the office at 12, because I didn't figure she would get there before me. She didn't.  I got there.  I got in line.  I ordered.  I started eating. She comes in.  "You started without me."  "I only have a half hour."  "I'm only a couple f minutes late."  I look at the clock.  "you're 15 minutes late."  "Yeah."  Sorry, but when one only has a half hur lunch, 15 minutes late is more than a couple of minutes.

3. She has another friend that I know, but is more of a friend of a friend to me. Anyway, my friend was complaining about her and telling me about this time they were supposed to meet at a restaurant.  My friend was ONLY a half hour late and this other friend had the nerve not to wait for her and left.  I told her I probably would have left, too.  I got quite the glare.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I have a friend who is habitually late.  And, I have three semi-funny stories, just because I think her attitude was ridiculous.

1.  We're supposed to meet for breakfast on Saturday.  I have a volunteer job I did on Sat that at 10.  It wasn't particularly close to the restaurant.  She wanted to meet at 9:30.  I was like seriously?  How about 9?  We settled on 9:15.  So, the next morning, I'm on my way to the restaurant when my cell phone rings.  I pull over to answer it because I totally know what's going to happen.  She says she's running late.  I say why don't we just skip it then.  I said it in a nice voice.  She got mad at me.  Ok, whatever. 

2.  She was working part-time, so had some free time one day.  She wanted to meet for lunch at Subway at 12.  I have a half hour lunch.  I actually left the office at 12, because I didn't figure she would get there before me. She didn't.  I got there.  I got in line.  I ordered.  I started eating. She comes in.  "You started without me."  "I only have a half hour."  "I'm only a couple f minutes late."  I look at the clock.  "you're 15 minutes late."  "Yeah."  Sorry, but when one only has a half hur lunch, 15 minutes late is more than a couple of minutes.

3. She has another friend that I know, but is more of a friend of a friend to me. Anyway, my friend was complaining about her and telling me about this time they were supposed to meet at a restaurant.  My friend was ONLY a half hour late and this other friend had the nerve not to wait for her and left.  I told her I probably would have left, too.  I got quite the glare.

I'm surprised that you still consider this person your friend, when she treats you with such disrespect.  She sounds like someone I finally dropped because I was tired of waiting for her, & I don't miss her at all.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, 3pwood said:

I'm surprised that you still consider this person your friend, when she treats you with such disrespect.  She sounds like someone I finally dropped because I was tired of waiting for her, & I don't miss her at all.

She wasn't always late, she was just late a lot.  But, she had a bf a while back who complained about it, told her it was disrespectful, and she is actually doing a lot better.  I just found it funny that she wouldn't understand how people would have to/want to cancel if she was late.  I used to work with her, that's how we met, and she was always on time to work, so I knew she was capable of being on time.  Some people just aren't.

I dated a guy , for 10 years, who was always late. Always.   I met him when I was new in town, so I acquired all of his friends (and lost custody of them in the break up).  I commented to one of the friends that his being late drove me crazy, but I was trying to let it go.  She responded "Oh, we don't want you to let that go. We were all hoping you would be the one to break him of it."

• Love 3

I have no patience or respect for people who are habitually late. It's one thing if you just have shitty luck and circumstances beyond your control make you late; if nothing else, you're making the effort, so you can't really be blamed. It's another if you're just a thoughtless, arrogant, flaky space cadet who doesn't care one iota about the concept of punctuality and other people's time.

Maybe I'm just an uptight people pleaser, but everyone's time is important, not just yours (the generic "yours", this is not directed at any of you guys). Get to work on time, show up early for that job interview, ween yourself off the snooze button, and for fuck's sake, meet your deadlines! When I worked at the library, some dipshit teenager tried to turn in an essay for a contest one day after the deadline, and her mother was right there and saw no problem with this! That vacuous little twerp is going to grow up thinking the rules don't apply to her and that she's impervious to failure!

2 hours ago, Quof said:

I dated a guy , for 10 years, who was always late. Always.   I met him when I was new in town, so I acquired all of his friends (and lost custody of them in the break up).  I commented to one of the friends that his being late drove me crazy, but I was trying to let it go.  She responded "Oh, we don't want you to let that go. We were all hoping you would be the one to break him of it."

Soooo... they were hoping you would Manic Pixie Dream Girl him out his habitual lateness, instead of expecting him to own his problem and fix it himself like a damned adult? Huh.

• Love 6

I was on a jury in May and we were supposed to be at the courthouse by 9:45. The same people were late every single day by 15-30 minutes. I wondered what they would consider important enough to arrive on time. Perhaps if it was their trial for murder......

• Love 4

The thing that worries me is that my habitually late friend has found a boyfriend who manages to be later than her!

I have dropped other friends who made it clear their time was more important than mine, but this one isn't there...yet.

(edited)

I don't automatically care if someone is late, even habitually so.  I care about what they're late to, what their attitude is when I've suffered a consequence beyond harmlessly sitting around waiting for 15-20 minutes, or if they're crazy late (for no legitimate, unexpected reason).  If they're late to things where punctuality truly matters (either inherently, or because I've expressly said I need them to be on time), or if they're not genuinely apologetic when their lateness affects me in a meaningful way -- that's when I'm pissed off, because it's disrespectful. 

My general philosophy:

If your job doesn't need to start and end at a specific time, come in when you want so long as you get it done right and on deadline.  If being late means someone can't end their shift until you show up to start yours, something will go uncovered until you get there, other people's part of group work will be delayed, a deadline will be missed, etc., show up at a designated start time.

If you're meeting someone, or people, for a social gathering and they're capable of and perfectly content to just hang out for a little while - get a seat, order drinks, read a book (or play with their phone), people watch, whatever - it's not an issue if you're a little late.  If it's a gathering where they'll have to hold the start of something for you, or even if you just know the friend you're meeting is bothered by lateness, doesn't like being left to sit someplace alone, etc., take the steps necessary to ensure you're on the dot.

So it's not lateness per se that determines my reaction, it's the consequences of lateness under the particular circumstances of each situation - both in terms of my own behavior and how I'll react to others'.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, Qoass said:

Some (not all) smokers simply don't understand/care that just because they're smoking outside, it's still irritating to those around them, even ten feet away.  I have a second job in which I am often outdoors and people will ask all the time where they're allowed to smoke.  I tell them anywhere outside but at least ten feet downwind of me.  My headscratcher are those who think it's okay to smoke inside a tent because it has no sides but then express amazement that they should stamp out their butts on the ground.  We can easily clear your cigarettes from the ground but it's not as easy to remove the smoke from our bodies.

I have a terrible allergy to smoke, it causes me to have asthma attacks. Honestly, I have had times when I start wheezing, and can't catch my breath, and wasn't even aware that someone was smoking nearby until I look around to see. 

I have asthma, but it's a very specific reaction to a few things.  Cats and cigarette smoke will always cause me to get sick.  

What drives me crazy is when the smokers in my life think I "don't like the smell"  of cigarette smoke.  NO that's not it.  I just want to avoid being ill.

6 hours ago, Katy M said:

I have a friend who is habitually late.  And, I have three semi-funny stories, just because I think her attitude was ridiculous

I  would have a hard time continuing to meet with someone who was habitually late like that.  It's one thing if your with a group, but if there's just the two of you, she's giving a clear message that she does not respect your time.   I wonder what her response would be if YOU were the one who was late.  Next time, I'd say tell her 11:30 when you want to meet at 12, and see if she gets there first.  I bet she'd be mad if she had to wait.  

We recently had a small group of family members meeting at a restaurant.  My son, as is his pattern, was 30 minutes late.  He called, and said they were running late.   I told him we were buying dinner for everyone.  But since we waited for him and his date,  the rest of us ordered a  round of drinks and an appetizer -  which HE had to pay for. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

If your job doesn't need to start and end at a specific time, come in when you want so long as you get it done right and on deadline.  If being late means someone can't end their shift until you show up to start yours, something will go uncovered until you get there, other people's part of group work will be delayed, a deadline will be missed, etc., show up at a designated start time.

A former colleague was almost always 10-15 minutes late to work.  If there were major issues with the materials we had just published to the company intranet site, there would be emails and/or phone calls about those issues that needed to be resolved generally no later than an hour after our start time. The habitual tardiness meant that almost always, I was the one who got stuck dealing with any major problems while she showed up 15 minutes late and then immediately went to get coffee and breakfast from the cafeteria, which took an additional 10-15 minutes.  I did not appreciate the stress of having to deal with problems more or less on my own when technically, there should have been two of us. Not helping the situation was that at least half the time, any problems were the result of mistakes she had made; the other problems were usually just system glitches.  Our sort-of boss had major issues with her tardiness, and had discussions with her more than once about it. Yet she was seriously pissed when she was not offered a regular full-time position, after months of having been told that she needed to be there on time and just ignoring that feedback.  She complained to me about not being offered the position, and I tried as tactfully as I could to point out to her that our faux boss was obsessive about being on time, and she generally wasn't. She blew it off by saying that it should be the quality of work, not punctuality, that determines whether someone gets a job offer. And in general I agree with that, but when you know the person making the hiring decision places a huge amount of value on punctuality, and you still can't be bothered to be on time when you're trying to go from a contractor position to regular FTE, you shouldn't be surprised when you don't get the job offer.  And again, that doesn't even take into account the rush work I had to do solo at the beginning of the shift when she should have been there assisting. Ultimately, I just don't understand this: If your job requires you to be at work at a specific time, whether that requirement makes sense or not, and you are habitually 10-15 minutes late, why the hell can't you just set your alarm for 15 minutes earlier and leave home at a time that will enable you to get to work on time?  I understand that eventually, everyone will be late because of an unexpected traffic jam or something outside the person's control. But there's a difference between being a bit late once in a while and being late every damn day.

• Love 8
22 hours ago, Qoass said:

ETA: I'm listening to a radio show about the role of religion in today's society and it's reminding me how much I want to slap people who say, "I'm not religious but I'm very spiritual." In my grinchy heart, that means they love scented candles, took a yoga class once and feel really, really good about themselves when they donate to charity. I know; I'm a brat. I blame Oprah.

When smokers are outside, they have this mistaken belief that their smoke disperses so quickly that it cannot possibly bother anyone who is more than a few feet from them. I have to admit that I was shocked by how badly I was affected by smoke when the smoker was 30 or 40 feet in front of me. Of course, the wind was blowing directly at me that day and that might have made the difference. I don't know for sure.

As for the people who say they're spiritual and not religious, I feel like most of them have simply replaced "religious" with "spiritual" and changed nothing else about their beliefs. Personally, I don't even have a working definition of "spiritual" because so many people use it in so many different ways. I suppose "spiritual" people don't attend church, while "religious" people ostensibly do. (I'm guessing here!) I hate when people ask me about my beliefs and try to categorize me as one or the other of those. I don't consider myself to be either of them, and yet I'm not atheist (or agnostic) either; I'm a Deist. My mother only recently finally shut up about me going to church. Sadly, I had to get quite angry at her to achieve that. I don't attend church because I feel like it does not achieve its goal: bringing me closer to God. Also, my parents attend church every week and I don't feel like going to church has helped my mother be a better Christian; she's the same arrogant, condescending, judgmental bitch she's been all my life. (I didn't phrase it that way to her, of course. Instead, I simply said I don't see church helping her, either. No, that didn't go over very well.)

• Love 1
13 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

How about those calls that pretend to be "Steve" from the IRS telling you you owe umpteen thousand dollars in back taxes? I always ask how the weather is in Mumbai. Before I insult his mother, of course.

I particularly love the calls where the caller asks for someone, you tell them they've got the wrong number, and then they say "Well, maybe you can help me!" Uhh, no, asshole. I can't help you because the person you want to speak with isn't here and I'm not going to let you try to guilt me into sending you money for your charity scam. If you try to talk over these people, they actually get angry at you. I'm like "Excuse me, but it's my time you're wasting!"

The ones my wife and I actually have fun with are the ones that call and try to sell you an extended warranty for your vehicle. We'll play along with those and waste their time because we've never purchased a vehicle new off the lot, and only one of the vehicles we've purchased ever had any warranty on it at all.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't automatically care if someone is late, even habitually so.  I care about what they're late to, what their attitude is when I've suffered a consequence beyond harmlessly sitting around waiting for 15-20 minutes, or if they're crazy late (for no legitimate, unexpected reason).  If they're late to things where punctuality truly matters (either inherently, or because I've expressly said I need them to be on time), or if they're not genuinely apologetic when their lateness affects me in a meaningful way -- that's when I'm pissed off, because it's disrespectful. 

My general philosophy:

If you're meeting someone, or people, for a social gathering and they're capable of and perfectly content to just hang out for a little while - get a seat, order drinks, read a book (or play with their phone), people watch, whatever - it's not an issue if you're a little late.  If it's a gathering where they'll have to hold the start of something for you, or even if you just know they're bothered by lateness, doesn't like being left to sit someplace alone, etc. take the steps necessary to ensure you're on the dot.

So it's not lateness per se that determines my reaction, it's the consequences of lateness under the particular circumstances of each situation - both in terms of my own behavior and how I'll react to others'.

You're so much nicer than I am. I am always early or, at worst, right on time. I expect people to be on time. As everyone else has noted, it's about respect. Be on time or be prepared to deal gracefully with my ill mood for the few minutes it will last. Be late habitually and you'd better be prepared to never do anything with me again in the future.

• Love 3

That vacuous little twerp is going to grow up thinking the rules don't apply to her and that she's impervious to failure!

And when that time comes, she will embody my most supreme pet peeve.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MrSmith said:

I particularly love the calls where the caller asks for someone, you tell them they've got the wrong number, and then they say "Well, maybe you can help me!" Uhh, no, asshole. I can't help you because the person you want to speak with isn't here and I'm not going to let you try to guilt me into sending you money for your charity scam. If you try to talk over these people, they actually get angry at you. I'm like "Excuse me, but it's my time you're wasting!"

The ones my wife and I actually have fun with are the ones that call and try to sell you an extended warranty for your vehicle. We'll play along with those and waste their time because we've never purchased a vehicle new off the lot, and only one of the vehicles we've purchased ever had any warranty on it at all.

We like the ones from "Microsoft" calling to say they need our password so the can update Windows. We have a Chromebook.

• Love 4

@peacheslatour Oh, yes! Those are also fun! I put my mother-in-law on a Linux variant years ago (probably around 10 or 12 years ago now). She doesn't understand that what they're asking her to do cannot be done on her computer. So, she'll earnestly waste their time and they seem completely unaware of the existence of Linux. I recently had to make her main operating system Windows again, but I made sure her user account has no administrator privileges. I created a separate admin account and didn't give her the password for it. I also created a Linux virtual machine for her, taught her how to use it, and told her any online banking or shopping needs to be in there - not in Windows. I see her often enough that I can feasibly be responsible for applying updates and such.

• Love 1

I have a terrible allergy to smoke, it causes me to have asthma attacks. Honestly, I have had times when I start wheezing, and can't catch my breath, and wasn't even aware that someone was smoking nearby until I look around to see. 

I'm also allergic to cigarette smoke (finally figured it out after a whole childhood of being constantly sick growing up around my chain-smoking mother).  Thankfully, I don't get asthma attacks, just running nose, puffy eyes, and sneezing. I HATE when I'm outdoors and can smell it but not identify where its coming from so I know to get away from it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MrSmith said:

@peacheslatour Oh, yes! Those are also fun! I put my mother-in-law on a Linux variant years ago (probably around 10 or 12 years ago now). She doesn't understand that what they're asking her to do cannot be done on her computer. So, she'll earnestly waste their time and they seem completely unaware of the existence of Linux. I recently had to make her main operating system Windows again, but I made sure her user account has no administrator privileges. I created a separate admin account and didn't give her the password for it. I also created a Linux virtual machine for her, taught her how to use it, and told her any online banking or shopping needs to be in there - not in Windows. I see her often enough that I can feasibly be responsible for applying updates and such.

Smart!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, MrSmith said:

You're so much nicer than I am. I am always early or, at worst, right on time. I expect people to be on time.  As everyone else has noted, it's about respect. Be on time or be prepared to deal gracefully with my ill mood for the few minutes it will last. Be late habitually and you'd better be prepared to never do anything with me again in the future.

Then you're smack dab in the last group of people I listed as those one should make sure to be on time for -- even if the other person would have no issue waiting ten minutes for you under the exact same circumstances, they know you do take issue with it, period, so they should be on time.

• Love 1

I'm not entirely sure this is a pet peeve, but it sure boggled my mind.  I have a season pass to a pool at a campground.  I went today and, of course, the second I got there, it started to thunder.  No, that's not my pet peeve.  There were two families there.  One of them, plus me took a few minutes and got under the cabanas to wait it out.  The other family stayed in the pool.  The first flash of lightning came.  They'll get out now, right?  Nope.  Second flash. Surely now?  Nope. First lightning where it looks like a bolt.  They've got to get out now.  Nope.  Ten minutes later, dad finally tells the kids they have to get out.  Sigh of relief on my part.  I didn't want to watch kids get fried in the pool.  They start heading towards the cabanas, but they are on the far side, lengthwise of the pool from where they are.  So, one of the kids gets back in the pool to swim over.  Parents don't seem to mind. So, I'm holding my breath again.  Why do people do these things?  Yes, the first thunder was far off, and I could understand them not getting out immediately, though I always err on the side of caution in such matters.  But, who doesn't get out when they start seeing lightning? 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, auntlada said:

I feel like a teenager. We are going to take family photos, so naturally I have two giant zits, one of which just showed up this morning.

I feel your pain, I'm 35 years old and have had adult acne for 14 years. It's especially ironic because I had AWESOME skin as a teenager; I'd get 1 or 2 really bad zits a year and that was it, so I don't know what the hell happened.  

Okay, that's as far as I'm going to gripe about it, because it's a small cross to bear, but it's still a nuisance.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I feel your pain, I'm 35 years old and have had adult acne for 14 years. It's especially ironic because I had AWESOME skin as a teenager; I'd get 1 or 2 really bad zits a year and that was it, so I don't know what the hell happened.  

Okay, that's as far as I'm going to gripe about it, because it's a small cross to bear, but it's still a nuisance.

Me three. I've had very rough adult acne since my 20s. I'm 42 now. I look at pictures of me in my teens and my skin was beautiful. I use Paula's Choice now, which has really helped. If I skip a day though, bad news. I've done Proactiv, Murad, Boscia, prescription topical creams. Proactiv did OK for awhile, but I didn't want to use the same product Justin Bieber uses.

The ONLY good thing about having oily, acne-prone skin is that it's less apt to wrinkle. I have very few wrinkles. The main couple are from sleeping on the side of my face.

• Love 1

I'm in not quite the same boat - had bad acne as a teen, still have acne at 40.  Not as bad as a teen though, but I think I'll have acne in my 80s even.  I've resigned myself to it just being a fact of life for me.  

• Love 3

I never broke out when I was a teenager but the past three months I've had horrible acne break outs. 

My peeve is assholes who quote a poster, cross out what the poster wrote, writes something different and then says "I fixed it for you".  No you arrogant jerk, you didn't fix it for them. You changed their opinion into yours and thats beyond arrogant. Its my biggest peeve these days.  If somebody wanted it written your way, it would have been that way from the start. Why do people do that?  It just makes them look like a jerk. 

• Love 6
(edited)
21 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I'm in not quite the same boat - had bad acne as a teen, still have acne at 40.  Not as bad as a teen though, but I think I'll have acne in my 80s even.  I've resigned myself to it just being a fact of life for me.  

This is me, I've had bad cystic acne since age 13.  I've been through two rounds of accutane and I do think my skin has been better in recent years but it's taken a long time and I am never without at least one white head at 43.  My mom tells me she still gets acne that it never goes away.  

Edited by partofme
  • Love 1

Same here. I never even had to wash my face with product and I had picture perfect skin until I hit my mid-20s. Now i use soap and cream and I still get zits. It is annoying.

5 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

This is me -- acne since puberty... and it never went away. It's much better now (I'm thirty-mumble), but so much for growing out of it.  ?

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't have acne issues but I am now (or maybe always? I don't even know anymore) allergic to seemingly everything, and get hives. I literally have to read the teeny-tiny ingredients on the labels of anything that touches my skin now. Ugh. The worst part is that some products--usually ones I like and feel confident about--are OK for a week or two and then, BOOM, it kicks in and I have to start all over. Meanwhile--and here is the peeve--I have a sister who is allergic to nothing! NOTHING!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

For the occasional pimple, acne-like, green-clay works wonder: I put a dollop of it on the pimple before going to bed (let it dry first though if you're going to sleep on it), and in the morning it's gone. It got my teenage son to try it instead (or rather in addition) to what he saw online, and even he had to admit it worked rather neatly. If you don't have clay (of any color, grey, white, they all work too :D but green is the one you find more often) handy, any purifying/cleansing/whatever mask works almost as well (just not a moisturising one): just put some on the spot, and it's seriously reduced the next day, if not completely gone. The way that works is that all the redness and other yucky white stuff is absorbed away from your skin.  

• Love 2