Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Second, bored busy bodies. Heh. The damage that can be done by people with time on their hands and the belief that they hold the moral high ground should never be underestimated.  I present to you, for example, the Parents Television Council

Yes, indeed-- 1,000 times yes! Basically, the way I see it is, if you don't like a certain show, you don't have to see it. That's not good enough for those PTC jokers, however-- if they don't like it, you're not allowed to enjoy it, either. They justify that by saying "think of the children!", but a lot of times, adults are seeing what the PTC disapproves of with no children even being in the same room. Doesn't matter, says the PTC-- cancel it!

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

My annual pre-Christmas Anxiety has arrived.  No matter how good a shape I am in for the holidays, I always feel like I am unprepared. 

I know- and I always worry about getting gifts that aren't redundant. This year I'm vowing NO BOOKS because I've given everyone on my list enough to fill several libraries and they haven't cracked open most of them. One time I got dissed for having given the EXACT same card two years in a row. So, in addition to trying to keep the workflow going in a workplace where work NEVER stops but with more and more folks taking off, I have to brainstorm as best I can and not look like I've made slapdash efforts.

Here's looking to you, January 2nd to February 13th when I have that monthlong break between New Year's Day and Valentine's Day not having to worry about holidays!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, DeLurker said:

My annual pre-Christmas Anxiety has arrived. No matter how good a shape I am in for the holidays, I always feel like I am unprepared. 

If it's not too early, would the annual Airing of Grievances help?

My Advent calendar gripe for today is assisted living facilities. I gaze longingly at their brochures. Hotel living in lovely, well maintained, 800 sf apartments including housekeeping and three meals a day. On-site activities and health aides. I can afford none of it!

I now hand you the aluminum pole.

• Love 6

I'll repeat my previous gripe:  all those commercials with women getting diamonds and guys getting luxury cars and fresh scrubbed families enjoying each other's company over a sumptuous meal in a huge dining room depress the heck out of me.

Passing the pole...

• Love 5

women getting diamonds

I am now at an age when most of my cohorts have been married at least once, and some of them more than once, so it is no longer news.   When I was younger, my mother would call to tell me who got "her diamond" for Christmas.  Because it's something every woman gets.  Like her period.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

I know- and I always worry about getting gifts that aren't redundant. This year I'm vowing NO BOOKS because I've given everyone on my list enough to fill several libraries and they haven't cracked open most of them.

I've revealed myself to be anti-gift before here, but I'm sincerely asking:  why do you give gifts to people who don't like what you give them?  It's not their fault they don't like them, and it's not your fault you can't think of something they would like.  Why do it?

Not to mention that it puts a burden on them to keep what you give them, so as not to look ungrateful.  I don't want to do that to someone.  (I'm mean enough that I don't keep things people give me just out of guilt, but I realize not many people can do that.)

Has anybody ever regretted getting off the gift-giving train? 

1 hour ago, lordonia said:

My Advent calendar gripe for today is assisted living facilities. I gaze longingly at their brochures. Hotel living in lovely, well maintained, 800 sf apartments including housekeeping and three meals a day. On-site activities and health aides. I can afford none of it!

As long as they don't make me listen to random people who come in and sing or play the guitar, assisted living facilities sound pretty swell.

There was an article in the New Yorker a few months ago about hipsters co-living in New York and San Francisco.  They pay rent for a bedroom and have a common area, and weekly housekeeping service, and someone in charge.  They think they're "disrupting" housing, venturing into uncharted territory; I think they're living like old people have been doing for a while now.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

(I'm mean enough that I don't keep things people give me just out of guilt, but I realize not many people can do that.)

Do most people keep a gift they don't want?  For those who do, are the people who gave you the gifts really coming over and inspecting your homes and asking, "Hey, where's that [gift] I gave you?" 

If I get something that doesn't fit, isn't my style, whatever, I'll exchange it for something else if I know where it was purchased or, if not, donate it.  I've never had anyone inquire about a missing gift.  Nor would I ever ask that of anyone to whom I'd given a gift just because I didn't see it used.  It's a gift; I pick things out based on the belief the recipients will like them, so I hope they do, but gifts are theirs to keep, exchange, re-gift, donate, or throw away.  (The last one would bother me on general principle, because it's wasteful to throw away something someone else would use and enjoy, but it wouldn't be a personal insult.)

• Love 1
13 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

I think that mentality is what got Airwolf cancelled from CBS after 3 seasons (actually 2.5) from 1984-86: because Jan-Michael Vincent (who played Stringfellow Hawke) had troubles with alcoholism and other personal problems, and IIRC, CBS said "no more-- we're cancelling Airwolf."

"Having troubles with alcoholism" could mean that he was consistently showing up for shooting drunk, late, or not at all. In that case I wouldn't blame them for canceling.

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

There was an article in the New Yorker a few months ago about hipsters co-living in New York and San Francisco.  They pay rent for a bedroom and have a common area, and weekly housekeeping service, and someone in charge.  They think they're "disrupting" housing, venturing into uncharted territory; I think they're living like old people have been doing for a while now.

Sounds almost exactly like the housemate situation I was in for about 3 years. Five bedrooms. You could keep any of your stuff in the common area, but that made it fair game for everyone else to use (but not abuse). There were two people sharing the "in charge" duties: The guy whose name was on the lease was the captain of the ship (so to speak), and I was the utility bill collector. It worked pretty well.

• Love 2

You could not pay me enough to live with another human. I'm afraid that I'll never be able to date (not that I'm trying) because in the off chance it becomes more, I'd eventually have to cohabit with the person I'm dating. No thanks. Except for a 1.5-year(ish) stint in my mid-20s when I lived with a boyfriend (which was ill-advised, it turned out), it's been me and the cat(s), blissfully alone since I graduated college at 22.

• Love 6

I also hate cohabitation with humans, whatever the nature of our relationship, and will never go back to that unless unforeseen circumstances necessitate it.  I talked myself into letting a friend move in with me in my first post-college place, and it turned out to be exactly the mistake I knew it was going to be. 

I have a friend who has been with her partner for probably 30 years now, and they don't live together -- they each have their own house in the same neighborhood.  They wouldn't have it any other way.  So if you wound up dating someone who felt the same way, it could be done, but I think that's hard to find (I'm not looking).

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Do most people keep a gift they don't want?  For those who do, are the people who gave you the gifts really coming over and inspecting your homes and asking, "Hey, where's that [gift] I gave you?" 

If I get something that doesn't fit, isn't my style, whatever, I'll exchange it for something else if I know where it was purchased or, if not, donate it.  I've never had anyone inquire about a missing gift.  Nor would I ever ask that of anyone to whom I'd given a gift just because I didn't see it used.  It's a gift; I pick things out based on the belief the recipients will like them, so I hope they do, but gifts are theirs to keep, exchange, re-gift, donate, or throw away.  (The last one would bother me on general principle, because it's wasteful to throw away something someone else would use and enjoy, but it wouldn't be a personal insult.)

My mother-in-law got us some really nice, expensive crystal dessert dishes for one of our first Christmases.  They're totally not us - for one thing, we don't eat dessert very often, and the dishes are seriously breakable. We're totally into plastic stuff or cheap stuff we don't mind breaking.  So the dishes have sat in our closet all this time (and we've been married 28 years).  Plus, my MIL passed away almost ten years ago. But do we pass the nice dishes along to a person or organization who would appreciate them?  No.  Because somehow, the MIL would know.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Has anybody ever regretted getting off the gift-giving train?

From my perspective, hell no. I wish I'd done it years earlier. I've been through the stages of feeling compelled to buy presents for parents, siblings, grandparents, nieces/nephews, etc., even when it was a stretch financially and logistically; then my siblings and I agreeing to only providing presents for nieces/nephews under age 12; to us finally agreeing to give it up completely, because we all neither wanted nor needed more crap. I was extremely happy when my kids reached an age where what they really wanted was cash. This year will be slightly different, in that my son, DIL and 4-year-old grandson will be visiting from overseas, and I promised to put together a "real" Christmas for them. So I've bought some actual presents, mostly toys for my grandson, but he is still at that age where he's thrilled by toy cars, trains, dinosaurs, and so forth, all of which are easy to find and relatively inexpensive. I'm fine with that, because he's still a kid. But for anyone else, if I stumble across the perfect present for someone, I may get it and send it but not as a birthday or holiday present but just as a random gift because I'm happy I found something that I know the person will enjoy. Fundamentally, I resist the notion that just because it is a certain time of year, I should feel compelled to go buy stuff for people who are not really in need of anything.

• Love 3

My stepmother and stepaunts all get together and do the family Christmas shopping for the "kids" every year. The "kids" being me (33), my sister (31), my stepbrother (30) and my stepcousins (2 in their mid-twenties, the youngest just turning 20 this year). They actually want us to submit Christmas lists. My sister and I have been begging my dad and stepmom to stop w/the Christmas presents for a couple years now. Both of us are just scrapping by and feel guilty to accept gifts w/o really being able to afford to give back in return. They still want to film us opening our presents as if we are still children, which we've all told them is kind of creepy, but they still insist.  No one has provided any grandchildren as of yet, and I get that they miss having kids around that excitedly look forward to that "Christmas magic".  But honestly if I want/need something unimportant, I'd rather get it myself. My dad has already helped me tremendously with a car purchase this year....I don't want him to spend more on me for stuff that I don't really NEED.  I hope this is the last year of this mess. 

I've had  picturesque Christmases in the past as well as Christmases where I've been completely alone (and this year seems like it will be the latter as well). I get a little sad being alone on Christmas but I've also been just as sad sitting in the mist of a visually perfect Christmas and not feeling like I fit in. Most of my family is ultra-conservative and I'm liberal. Most of them are outspoken and I'm quiett/shy. My sister and  female stepcousin are fitness nuts, and I'm just your average overweight shlub.  I want to be able to enjoy eating Christmas cookies/brownies/fudge without the silent judgement I feel I get when I'm the only female in our age group not turning my nose up at them. It doesn't help that I was always naturally skinny until I hit my late-20s and got diagnosed with PCOS, which makes it difficult to lose weight. 

So this year, I'll probably be better off staying home and pretending its just another lazy Sunday rather then sitting around trying not to lose my mind when the talk goes to politics or when the dessert tray gets passed around.

• Love 2

I'm a big proponent of stepping off the gift train express. Toot!

The husband of a friend of mine has two sons from his first marriage. He was a career naval officer and was away for a lot of their childhood. He's not close to them but I was a little surprised last week when he mentioned in passing that, if he had it to do over, he wouldn't have had kids at all.

His sons are in their 40s and have five kids between them. They've both very successful millionaire businessmen. My friend sends Christmas and birthday gifts to the sons, wives, and grandkids, but complains about the hassle. His kids in turn give him things he doesn't need or want. I once asked why he doesn't just put an end to the gifts, but he was adamant that he still wants his sons to give him something.

That's weird, right? Just checking.

• Love 7

For my older nieces and nephew who are unmarried, I tend to give them either stuff I know they need/want, gift cards or a bottle of champagne.  If they recently got a car, I'll usually get them a gift certificate for a car wash & wax to help take care of their car.  If they have kids, pretty much I get the kids gifts and them something small.

When people ask what my kids want I always say a red t-shirt for my son (because he seriously loves red shirts and it was always the first thing on his present lists when he made them) and my daughter drawing stuff or a cool pen (she can spend endless hours in an office supply store).  They are in high school and college now, but they still love the excitement of Christmas and the idea of getting a gift wrapped package.

This year when people asked what I wanted, I say what I always say "good coffee, not dark and not hazelnut".  This year I added a good balsamic vinegar.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

"Having troubles with alcoholism" could mean that he was consistently showing up for shooting drunk, late, or not at all. In that case I wouldn't blame them for canceling.

Based on what I read, that's just about the size of it, so I think your assessment is pretty much spot-on. Maybe I didn't "read between the lines," as it were.

Some people think it's laziness to give gift cards but I must say that they are my favorite gifts to receive.  Nothing is better than reaching into my stocking and pulling out a Publix or Wawa card.  Someone gave me a Starbucks card as a thank you gift a few months ago.  I don't drink coffee but I used the card to get a really cute ceramic mermaid mug that I use for hot tea - which I have to hide from my three-year-old granddaughter because she's on a mermaid kick and will scream,"Mine!".  

We like to put scratch off lottery tickets on top of gifts.  Nobody has ever won more than $25 but everybody loves them.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

But for anyone else, if I stumble across the perfect present for someone, I may get it and send it but not as a birthday or holiday present but just as a random gift because I'm happy I found something that I know the person will enjoy. Fundamentally, I resist the notion that just because it is a certain time of year, I should feel compelled to go buy stuff for people who are not really in need of anything.

That's how I buy gifts, too.  It pains me when I find something and it happens to be around the person's birthday or Christmas--I wait to give it until it can be random.

I would 100% prefer people not give me anything than give me something because they "should."  I know people who keep extra wrapped presents around at Christmas time so they have something to give someone who shows up with a gift unexpectedly  It somehow makes me sad.

I have a friend who runs in a pretty high social circle, so there's a lot of expected gift giving.  I was at her house and her pantry was full of stuff she'd been given that she didn't want.  She doesn't even eat jam or jelly, but had many jars of it.  Someone gives it to her every single year.  So I took a bunch.  Along with a bottle of olive oil that I was going to use to grease the seals in the plumbing in my RV.  

• Love 3
16 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

So this year, I'll probably be better off staying home and pretending its just another lazy Sunday rather then sitting around trying not to lose my mind when the talk goes to politics or when the dessert tray gets passed around.

You should consider changing the "probably" to "definitely." 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

Some people think it's laziness to give gift cards but I must say that they are my favorite gifts to receive.  Nothing is better than reaching into my stocking and pulling out a Publix or Wawa card.  Someone gave me a Starbucks card as a thank you gift a few months ago.  I don't drink coffee but I used the card to get a really cute ceramic mermaid mug that I use for hot tea - which I have to hide from my three-year-old granddaughter because she's on a mermaid kick and will scream,"Mine!".  

We like to put scratch off lottery tickets on top of gifts.  Nobody has ever won more than $25 but everybody loves them.

A Wawa card is like the golden ticket of gift cards!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, bosawks said:

A Wawa card is like the golden ticket of gift cards!

I really need to know...what the hell is a Wawa? 

I LOVE buying Xmas presents, I will stay on the present train until that train pulls into my last stop. I shop throughout the year and I love getting creative with my gifts and wrapping.  You're a bunch of Grinches!  Lol. 

• Love 2

would 100% prefer people not give me anything than give me something because they "should."  I know people who keep extra wrapped presents around at Christmas time so they have something to give someone who shows up with a gift unexpectedly  It somehow makes me sad.

Ordinarily I would agree with you except for the random scarf I got one year that I wear to this day.

And I don't like to shop so a gift card is not my favorite.  The exceptions are Amazon because books and I once got a Sunoco card which was great:  two tanks of gas!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, AuntieL said:

A Wawa is the worlds best convenience store.  You find them in Eastern PA, New Jersey and now they're heading down the southeast.  

When I was at Lehigh which is in Bethlehem PA, the Wawa was the source of much caffeine and snack foods.  Here in the Hudson Valley there are no Wawa stores, but recently we've been getting QuickChek here and there, which is a suitable replacement.  My brother is a middle school teacher in NJ, and he would be VERY appreciative of Wawa gift cards. As a matter of fact, that is probably a great gift for me to give him from my kids. They'd get to hear him say WA-WAA the way he likes to say it, which would be fun.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 1

I love getting creative with my gifts and wrapping

I tip my hat to you.  I have always wanted to be creative with wrapping, and even go so far as to Pinterest ideas, but it never happens.  This year I suggested to Mr. Angeltoes that we'd buy only silver wrapping paper.  Then we'd assign a different color of bow to each family member.  Thus, all the presents for Grandkid A would have blue bows, Grandkid B would have pink bows, etc.  I thought it would look classy (and I wouldn't have to bother with gift tags) but Mr. Angeltoes pooh-poohed it (as if he had ever wrapped a gift in his life) so that was the end of that.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Angeltoes said:

This year I suggested to Mr. Angeltoes that we'd buy only silver wrapping paper.  Then we'd assign a different color of bow to each family member.  Thus, all the presents for Grandkid A would have blue bows, Grandkid B would have pink bows, etc.

Speaking as a former kid, I always hated silver or gold wrapping paper. Didn't seem festive at all, and it invariably seemed to contain a gift that I didn't want. Like five packages of socks.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Sandman87 said:

Speaking as a former kid, I always hated silver or gold wrapping paper. Didn't seem festive at all, and it invariably seemed to contain a gift that I didn't want. Like five packages of socks.

Ha!  

Speaking of socks, I made it tradition for Dad (Me) to always get socks from Santa.  When my kids hit about seven or eight, I expanded the tradition so that not just dad would get a gift of socks under the tree, but somewhere in all of their booty was hidden a nicely wrapped package of socks for them.  They've come to appreciate it as tradition, possibly because they feed off of my energy, and I'm always VERY enthusiastic when they open the socks.  OOOH! NEW SOCKS!  Heh.

Besides, they need freaking socks. They constantly take them off and just leave them wherever they were at the time until I find them buried in the couch or under the computer desk, or in the back seat of my car.  I point that out later Christmas day as why it's a good thing Santa brought socks, since they keep losing them.  (I'm a pain in the ass sometimes. I hope they appreciate that as well.)

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

I tip my hat to you.  I have always wanted to be creative with wrapping, and even go so far as to Pinterest ideas, but it never happens.  This year I suggested to Mr. Angeltoes that we'd buy only silver wrapping paper.  Then we'd assign a different color of bow to each family member.  Thus, all the presents for Grandkid A would have blue bows, Grandkid B would have pink bows, etc.  I thought it would look classy (and I wouldn't have to bother with gift tags) but Mr. Angeltoes pooh-poohed it (as if he had ever wrapped a gift in his life) so that was the end of that.

Back when all the kids were still kids, I had a system. We would go to my family on Xmas Eve, hubby's on Xmas day. I was always worried that in the rush I'd leave a gift behind, or bring a gift to the wrong house. So I color-coded. Red gifts go with us Xmas Eve, green gifts go on Xmas day, blue gifts are under the tree for Xmas morning at home.  

• Love 3
On 12/13/2016 at 5:10 PM, Qoass said:

I'll repeat my previous gripe:  all those commercials with women getting diamonds and guys getting luxury cars and fresh scrubbed families enjoying each other's company over a sumptuous meal in a huge dining room depress the heck out of me.

Passing the pole...

Those commercials are designed to make us feel like the biggest losers in the world: if we can't afford diamonds or don't have anyone to buy diamonds for us; if we can't afford a luxury car and don't have a nice driveway in which to park said car (with a perfect house in the background); if we don't have a loving, joyful--and huge--family that gets together for a laughter-filled holiday meal. It makes people spend money they don't have on things they probably never wanted in the first place. 

..But yeah, those commercials get to me, too. I would love to wake up on Christmas morning to find a Lexus SUV with a big red bow parked in my driveway. Or unwrap a present and see a diamond ring/necklace/tennis bracelet twinkling at me. And family? Don't get me started. It would be nice if we were all speaking to each other, let alone sitting down to a gourmet meal that someone (not me!) prepared and put in beautiful serving bowls.  

20 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I would 100% prefer people not give me anything than give me something because they "should."  I know people who keep extra wrapped presents around at Christmas time so they have something to give someone who shows up with a gift unexpectedly  It somehow makes me sad.

I hear you. But I have a great story about that. One December about 20 years ago, I was talking with a co-worker at the hospital where I worked. She was a med student and was somewhat far away from home. She started talking to me about a family friend who held a big Christmas Eve party every year. Long story short, it turns out that this family friend and I lived in the same apartment building. I was also away from family at the time, so my co-worker invited me to the party. I had a ball. And I wasn't expecting a gift, but this family friend was one of those people with extra Christmas presents lying around her house.  I got your basic glove and hat set, but I was still very moved. I felt like Lucy in "While You Were Sleeping."

I'm a big advocate of gift receipts. If someone doesn't like what you gave them, they can discreetly return it or exchange it without hassle. And they don't have to guess where you shopped for the present. 

• Love 7

I love Wawa.  I wish my students would give me Wawa gift cards.  I am in there all the time.  Stuffed jalapeno cheese pretzels, delicious cheap coffee, hoagies. Yum.  The best part is you order on the touch screen and so never have to talk to a soul other than the cashier.  My Wawa was closed for a month or so for renovations so I had to go to a different Wawa, which is about the same distance from my house, but not as convenient to my commute.  Such a Jersey problem.  

I've also gotten off the gift train. I buy my dad a bottle of booze that he picks out and I pay for, and my sister and I stopped exchanging ages ago.  I have no extended family anymore because they're either all deceased or we no longer speak.  Hah.  I have exactly one present to buy this year for my newborn niece.   She's getting an engraved ornament and adorable feety pajamas that have reindeer on the feets, and I already gave my sister both.  (Baby feet are always feets.  I do not know why.)

Socks for Christmas is a great gift as an adult. I can always use socks.  Or scarves. I'm forever losing scarves.

• Love 3

I forgot to mention that the gifting of socks also lets us break out the "You gave Dobby socks?!" lines, with us all doing our best Dobby voice.  Dobby is a favorite in the Macc home, as we've decided that Neo looks quite a bit like the famous house elf.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

You should collect all of those lost socks you find and wrap them up for Christmas.

If I started saving all of the socks I pick up with the idea of giving them back for Christmas, my children would be barefoot by Valentines Day.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, backformore said:

My kids and hubby always got socks from me on Christmas. Until the boys grew older, and had opinions on socks, would only wear certain brands and styles.

That was my problem with a dear co-worker who took care about his appearance -- neat, combed, coordinated and what-passed-for-fashionable in Mountain Iron, MN, including expensive patterned suit socks. I considered giving him a pair as a gift, but what do I know? That fact that he was particular about what he wore made me think that whatever I picked would probably not be to his taste, he already had something similar, etc.

• Love 1

My dad is one of six kids and when they all moved out and started families of their own they started a gift exchange. I'm not quite sure how the rotation works but each year you get a different sibling and their family and have to spend a minimum of $100.00! I was the first of the cousin generation to move out and marry so then I was added the list. I participated until I had kids and we were struggling to give our own kids a decent Christmas. I'm not going to spend $100 on an aunt or uncle I never talk to or see. I'm the only one of the cousins to drop out though so I'm no trend setter obviously. 

My my sock peeve is that my kids take their socks off on the trampoline and forget to bring them back inside. Yesterday my son brought me a pair of Halloween socks he found. If they don't leave them out there they put them in their pockets and I don't find them until after they've been washed inside. I'm terrible about checking pockets. I find chapstick, money, rocks, razor blades (my husband leaves them in his work pants) in the washing machine all the time. 

• Love 1

My grandfather was the one who was most enthusiastic about giving me socks. One year, while I was in college, I decided to fight fire with fire. I gave him two ties, six handkerchiefs, and a dozen pairs of socks...all of which matched in a lovely shade of pink. I thought he was going to hit me. Then I gave him his real gift. He got the hint. No more socks.

7 hours ago, topanga said:

Those commercials are designed to make us feel like the biggest losers in the world: if we can't afford diamonds or don't have anyone to buy diamonds for us; if we can't afford a luxury car and don't have a nice driveway in which to park said car (with a perfect house in the background); if we don't have a loving, joyful--and huge--family that gets together for a laughter-filled holiday meal. It makes people spend money they don't have on things they probably never wanted in the first place.

Don't forget; the instant you leave the store, your shiny new diamond typically loses 50% to 70% of its value. And the tradition of giving diamond engagement rings only dates back to 1938, when DeBeers came up with what might be the most successful marketing campaign ever.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Ha!  

Speaking of socks, I made it tradition for Dad (Me) to always get socks from Santa.  When my kids hit about seven or eight, I expanded the tradition so that not just dad would get a gift of socks under the tree, but somewhere in all of their booty was hidden a nicely wrapped package of socks for them.  They've come to appreciate it as tradition, possibly because they feed off of my energy, and I'm always VERY enthusiastic when they open the socks.  OOOH! NEW SOCKS!  Heh.

Besides, they need freaking socks. They constantly take them off and just leave them wherever they were at the time until I find them buried in the couch or under the computer desk, or in the back seat of my car.  I point that out later Christmas day as why it's a good thing Santa brought socks, since they keep losing them.  (I'm a pain in the ass sometimes. I hope they appreciate that as well.)

Your kids are VERY lucky to have a dad like you.  Your posts about your kids and family life always make my day. Can I ask a personal question?  Do you have full custody of them?  Feel free to tell me to mind my own beeswax.  

Either way, you're a fantastic daddy.  

• Love 1

My grandmother worked in the factory at Hanes for most of her working years, so we got socks, underwear, pantyhose and slips for Christmas. At least you knew what you were getting. I never ran out of those necessities (well, pantyhose and slips are questionably necessary, but growing up Baptist in the South, I was forced to wear my Sunday best).

• Love 2

@Angeltoes, the only reason I'm able to get so creative with my wrapping and bows is because I have nothing else going on in my life. I can spend a whole day wrapping one gift if I wanted to because I have no life whatsoever.   I've heard so much about Pinterest but I didn't really care for it too much. 

• Love 3