Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Why do you want to reset it? Did you back it up first?

I want to trade it in. I still can’t reset it. I think I will go to the apple store. And I don’t need to back it up, I don’t need anything on it.

1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

I want to trade it in. I still can’t reset it. I think I will go to the apple store. And I don’t need to back it up, I don’t need anything on it.

I was curious because I’ve never reset mine so I was just wondering why one would. I thought perhaps there was something wrong with your phone. 

1 minute ago, ginger90 said:

I was curious because I’ve never reset mine so I was just wondering why one would. I thought perhaps there was something wrong with your phone. 

No it works fine. 

(And now it will die lol)

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

4 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

3 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

No it works fine. 

(And now it will die lol)

I’ve only ever reset a phone when it was a trade in and my stuff had already been transferred to the new phone. But that’s been iPhone to iPhone. Maybe it’s different if you’re going iPhone to android or vice versa. 

8 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I'm a diehard anything-but-Apple user, but I've actually considered this, but then I wouldn't be able to synch it with anything.  I think.  (I'm also a proud Luddite, until I'm not, then I'm just tech ignorant.)

Plus, all I want is the heart monitor part of it.  I really have no interest in anything else it might do, to the extent that I still wear an analogue watch.

Another Luddite...until we're not 😁.

• LOL 1

My latest peeve is the televised round of the Scripps Spelling Bee.  All I want to do is hear Dr. Bailly pronounce some words and give example sentences, and then hear the kids spell the words.  I don't care about some random concert they went to, or how the winner from three years ago feels.  I really don't care about the 10 minutes of commercials after every other speller.  Just show me the competition!  I couldn't even watch last night, it was so bad with extraneous crap.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 1

I stopped watching several years ago when I learned about parents hiring coaches and the kids "training" for the Bee. Our neighbor's kid was in it (but they didn't have him coached--he was/is one of those children born brilliant). I can't recall how close he got. I think he made it to the semifinals. Gosh, when he was 13, I was chatting with him and it felt like I was conversing with an adult (but he was/is a fun kid 🤗).

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

My latest peeve is the televised round of the Scripps Spelling Bee.  All I want to do is hear Dr. Bailly pronounce some words and give example sentences, and then hear the kids spell the words.  I don't care about some random concert they went to, or how the winner from three years ago feels.  I really don't care about the 10 minutes of commercials after every other speller.  Just show me the competition!  I couldn't even watch last night, it was so bad with extraneous crap.

I remember when i thought it was about spelling, not memorization.  Silly me.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

I used to LOVE watching this as well but just can't stand it anymore for all of the reasons you've listed.  

• Like 7

I don't care about some random concert they went to, or how the winner from three years ago feels.  I really don't care about the 10 minutes of commercials after every other speller.  Just show me the competition!  I couldn't even watch last night, it was so bad with extraneous crap

I say this pretty much with every reality/competition TV show or major sporting event that is televised. I don't want the backstory. I definitely don't want a sob story. Can I just watch the competition? Survivor was one of my favorite reality/competition shows, but (for many reasons), the last few seasons have been horrendous. Mostly because I now have to listen to every contestant's sad childhood/failed relationship/overcoming obstacle story. 

Same with the upcoming Olympics, I want to see the EVENT, I want to watch EVERYONE compete, not just the darlings or the "come from nowhere" inspirational competitors. Stop with all the fluff and let me decide who I want to root for.

• Like 9
  • Applause 4

OMG...anyone remember when Nancy Kerrigan was competing in figure skating? I don't know how many times we had to hear about her almost blind-mother. Then, her mom began to attend the major competitions & the cameras would always have to hover over the poor woman. 

• Like 4
22 hours ago, KittyMom4 said:

I say this pretty much with every reality/competition TV show or major sporting event that is televised. I don't want the backstory. I definitely don't want a sob story. Can I just watch the competition? Survivor was one of my favorite reality/competition shows, but (for many reasons), the last few seasons have been horrendous. Mostly because I now have to listen to every contestant's sad childhood/failed relationship/overcoming obstacle story. 

Same with the upcoming Olympics, I want to see the EVENT, I want to watch EVERYONE compete, not just the darlings or the "come from nowhere" inspirational competitors. Stop with all the fluff and let me decide who I want to root for.

Years ago I remember watching Olympic figure skating on Eurosport.  They showed EVERY skater who was there.  There wasn’t all the “fluff” about the skaters’ lives off the ice and whoever was doing the commentary didn’t constantly chat to each other.  American coverage was a rude shock, I gave up watching entirely.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
10 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

Years ago I remember watching Olympic figure skating on Eurosport.  They showed EVERY skater who was there.  There wasn’t all the “fluff” about the skaters’ lives off the ice and whoever was doing the commentary didn’t constantly chat to each other.  American coverage was a rude shock, I gave up watching entirely.

I think there are ways to watch competitions w/o commentary but not sure which ones only show the skating. When I'm watching a competition, I'm not interested in anything but what's going on while the skater is on the ice.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

I enjoy reading "cozy" mysteries and can get very involved with following all the titles in a series  but I'm realising I have a major peeve.  Often the author spends a lot of time creating engaging characters that are meant to be in only one novel and the story very often ends with the discovery of the killer.  Which makes sense of course.  But does mean that the reader is left wondering what happened next for the people we got involved with!  

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
(edited)
52 minutes ago, Dimity said:

I enjoy reading "cozy" mysteries and can get very involved with following all the titles in a series  but I'm realising I have a major peeve.  Often the author spends a lot of time creating engaging characters that are meant to be in only one novel and the story very often ends with the discovery of the killer.  Which makes sense of course.  But does mean that the reader is left wondering what happened next for the people we got involved with!  

If you like mysteries with recurring characters, I highly recommend the Miss Zukas series. She's a librarian in a town on the west coast of WA (originally from MI). She's no-nonsense (& that in itself is a bit amusing) but has an artist friend (from childhood) who's funny. The sheriff and a couple associates at the library appear throughout the series. When I read the last book, I emailed the author, Jo Dereske, but didn't get a response. Loved this series--cozy without the cutesiness.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
9 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

During the, I think it was the London Olympics, we got a VPN and watched the British coverage.  So different.  They'd show entire events. And when it was over, they'd show the time from the event to the medal ceremony. I can see why NBC would not necessarily show that, since it usually consisted of the athletes, gathering up their stuff, getting told where to line up, where to go etc.  But it was fascinating.  Also they'd show sports NBC never showed, like indoor track cycling. I had never seen that sport ever on NBC and yet I became fascinated with it in 2012. 

9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I think there are ways to watch competitions w/o commentary but not sure which ones only show the skating. When I'm watching a competition, I'm not interested in anything but what's going on while the skater is on the ice.

For the summer olympics, I will say, I love the NBC sports analysts who do the track and field announcing.  Ato Boldon, Sanya Richards-Ross and Carole Lewis are great to listen to as they talk about the athletes.  They are knowledgeable of the sport and enthusiastic.  Since the Track and Field events are my hands down favorites for summer, I do make sure to watch the NBC coverage.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
On 5/29/2024 at 4:01 PM, Dimity said:

In the My Three Sons thread I just mentioned how expensive, and difficult, it is now to buy DVDs of this show.  I feel like Rip Van Winkle here I took a very long nap I guess as it feels like one minute you could easily purchase DVDs for almost any show or movie you wanted, and then, poof, they were gone.  

I am peeved.

Oh yeah, I hear you.  That's because TPTB want to phase out DVDs so that they can charge us to watch everything on demand or on streaming platforms.  It bugs them that once you own it on DVD they can't keep charging you to see it.

On 5/29/2024 at 11:50 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

Agree with you here-- I have a DVR and rely on it to watch my regular shows without having to watch all the commercials.  But I don't rely on it for permanent storage--you can't. 

On Xfinity you can buy some entire series for about $25 where it exists in your account in the cloud and doesn't take up any storage space so you won't have to delete it.  But if you should move where you don't get Xfinity or drop cable altogether, "poof", it's gone.  So that's not even permanent!  And not all series are available to purchase that way, which sucks. 

They tried to push streaming as replacing DVDs and how everything was going to be available and easier to access but it's not.  In many cases only one or two seasons of a show are available and you'd have to have a subscription to that streaming service to even see those.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

On Xfinity you can buy some entire series for about $25 where it exists in your account in the cloud and doesn't take up any storage space so you won't have to delete it.  But if you should move where you don't get Xfinity or drop cable altogether, "poof", it's gone.  So that's not even permanent!  And not all series are available to purchase that way, which sucks. 

Because I’m already so deep into Apple’s ecosystem I’ve purchased the “box sets” of some shows I love to watch over and over again.  We’ve also bought some shows from Amazon’s Prime Video because the only other option was subscribing to a streaming service my husband didn’t want (though when we got to the end of one series the videos are ONLY on streaming so I ended up buying the DVDs).  

• Like 1
On 4/1/2024 at 12:24 PM, chitowngirl said:

While I understand the reason that most gym shoes have breathable mesh fabric, it is useless in the rain. All it does is make my socks wet and I hate that!

This is exactly why I strongly dislike walking through wet grass with tennis shoes-- the same thing happens to me.

• Like 2

I don't think I even have a DVD player anymore.  Wait...maybe my husband's gaming console can be one (he downloads his games)?  

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I don't think I even have a DVD player anymore.  Wait...maybe my husband's gaming console can be one (he downloads his games)?  

Yes, very likely.  We have used an X box for that. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, DearEvette said:

During the, I think it was the London Olympics, we got a VPN and watched the British coverage.  So different.  They'd show entire events. And when it was over, they'd show the time from the event to the medal ceremony. 

A couple of years after moving to the States I crumbled and bought a TV so I could watch the Olympics.  Big mistake.  Mary Decker Mary Decker Mary Decker.  Ugh.

• Like 3

Pet peeve of the day:  calling anyone who had a relative who was even remotely well known a nepo baby.  

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Dimity said:

Pet peeve of the day:  calling anyone who had a relative who was even remotely well known a nepo baby.  

I also hate the context nepo baby is always used.  It's always in a derogatory manner, and always leaves out important bits.  Yes, having a famous parent can help one land their first gig in the entertainment industry, but that does not guarantee subsequent gigs.  It gets your foot in the door, the rest is up to you.  Whatever leg up the children of famous people have is not really all that important in the long run.  It's knowing what to look for in an agent, how to behave and dress for an audition, etc.  Stuff most loving parents who want their kids to succeed do anyway.  It's also an acting gig most of the time.    

And, nepotism makes the world go round.  Every single one of my jobs was obtained through knowing someone or my mother knowing someone.  I suspect the vast majority of people can say the same.  People like known quantities.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also hate the context nepo baby is always used.  It's always in a derogatory manner, and always leaves out important bits.  Yes, having a famous parent can help one land their first gig in the entertainment industry, but that does not guarantee subsequent gigs.  It gets your foot in the door, the rest is up to you.  Whatever leg up the children of famous people have is not really all that important in the long run.  It's knowing what to look for in an agent, how to behave and dress for an audition, etc.  Stuff most loving parents who want their kids to succeed do anyway.  It's also an acting gig most of the time.    

And, nepotism makes the world go round.  Every single one of my jobs was obtained through knowing someone or my mother knowing someone.  I suspect the vast majority of people can say the same.  People like known quantities.

Honestly, it's not just famous people who work in the entertainment industry (though that's how it primarily is used).  Apparently, my great-great grandfather owned a local newspaper (but by no means was a media giant) and his son was one of the editors (and would have likely inherited the publication had WWII not broken out).  Would THAT have made him a nepo baby?   

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Honestly, it's not just famous people who work in the entertainment industry (though that's how it primarily is used).  Apparently, my great-great grandfather owned a local newspaper (but by no means was a media giant) and his son was one of the editors (and would have likely inherited the publication had WWII not broken out).  Would THAT have made him a nepo baby?   

Uh, yes, if the son got the job because your great-great-grandfather owned the paper - that is the definition of nepo baby. And I disagree with the idea that, especially in acting, nepo babies don't have an ongoing advantage. There are so many examples of mid-talented actors (Dakota Johnson and Kate Hudson, just off the top of my head) that not only got their first job, but continue to work because of their pedigree. Nepo babies have not just the connections but the essential name recognition factor that the entertainment and media industries rely upon. I grew up in Las Vegas and Los Angeles, surrounded by friends whose parents were "stars" and those who were exponentially more talented whose parents were not connected, and I watched this all play out first hand. It is what it is.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1

I've been trying to think of others. Maybe the Sinatra siblings, Nancy & Frank Jr.  Would Lorenzo Lamas qualify? He did surpass his dad, Fernando, in the # of marriages (5). 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've been trying to think of others. Maybe the Sinatra siblings, Nancy & Frank Jr.  Would Lorenzo Lamas qualify? He did surpass his dad, Fernando, in the # of marriages (5). 

Enrique iglesias lol, he can’t sing 

• Useful 1

People who call into my job and are clearly not prepared for the call and aren’t paying attention. 

Me: “Thank you for calling Company Name this is Cloud9Shopper; can I have your account number?” 

Customer: “My what number?” or “My phone number?” or “Where do I find my account number?” 

Me: “And what is your email address?”

Customer: “Well it could be (first email address) or (second email address) or (third email address).”

Me: 😬🤦‍♀️🙄😐

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
(edited)
20 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Whatever leg up the children of famous people have is not really all that important in the long run. 

If they don't have the talent they can only skate by on a famous name for so long.  Anyway what bothers me most about this most recent craze of nepo baby accusations is it seems to mainly only get used when you don't like the person you're name calling.   Jennifer Aniston, Jane Fonda, Miley Cyrus, Drew Barrymore, Rob Reiner, Ron Howard, Carrie Fisher, Jamie Lee Curtis and the list goes on could all be called nepo babies but unless you are mired in hatred for one of them most people concede they succeeded on their own merits.

Edited by Dimity
  • Like 9
1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

People who call into my job and are clearly not prepared for the call and aren’t paying attention. 

Me: “Thank you for calling Company Name this is Cloud9Shopper; can I have your account number?” 

Customer: “My what number?” or “My phone number?” or “Where do I find my account number?” 

Customer: “Well it could be (first email address) or (second email address) or (third email address).”

That's why I said you must be good at your job.  If you have the proper amount of patience to deal with these callers, you're gold. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

59 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

That's why I said you must be good at your job.  If you have the proper amount of patience to deal with these callers, you're gold. 

I know I've been that caller many times and usually the fault is not with me or the rep.  There could be an issue with my hearing or the connection or the rep's volume, that leave me not sure what number they've just asked for.  Or I don't remember if this account is associated with my throwaway email or my personal email or our "household" email...  So thank you for your patience!

• Like 4
  • Angry 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I appreciate it but I’d give anything to get another job and be valued for my other talents and work. I’ll save it more for the work thread but I’ve been extremely sad and stressed most of the week and the idea of never being able to get out of customer service is terrifying. I don’t want to end up stuck and dealing with these callers for the rest of time. I fake patience a lot of the time and am largely irritated with these people but I guess I’m convincing enough. 

I guess my other pet peeve is that I’m seen as being good at something I hate and am desperately trying to run away from. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Hugs 6
30 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I appreciate it but I’d give anything to get another job and be valued for my other talents and work. I’ll save it more for the work thread but I’ve been extremely sad and stressed most of the week and the idea of never being able to get out of customer service is terrifying. I don’t want to end up stuck and dealing with these callers for the rest of time. I fake patience a lot of the time and am largely irritated with these people but I guess I’m convincing enough. 

I guess my other pet peeve is that I’m seen as being good at something I hate and am desperately trying to run away from. 

I understand. 

• Like 1
On 6/6/2024 at 7:29 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

It used to be the norm that people would often take up the job that their parents had. Farming, all sorts of crafts, clerks, etc. I really appreciate that we are now more free to pursue whatever careers we want without being shamed for abandoning family business. 

As for nepo babies, yes I have the same peeve. Sure, there are some that don't have talent, but as others have said, usually you have to be good to make it. Yes, they have the advantage of knowing more about the industry. And? Does that mean they should abandon it because others don't have the same advantages? Almost everyone has some sort of advantage at something. Talent, skills, stable home conditions, ... There will never be total equality in terms of everyone having exactly same starting position, and if it was we would lose so much diversity because different experiences are what makes us all different, for good or bad. Most "nepo babies" acknowledge that they have advantage due to their family at some point. Could we maybe please ease on this attitude that everyone has to acknowledge all of their privileges all the time? 

My related peeve is how some people treat celebrities in general. Just because somebody chose a career that makes them visible to public doesn't mean that we are entitled to all details of their private lives. Some share a lot of it, but some of it is PR that they might feel they have to do, so it still doesn't feel like it's ok for us to pick apart all of it and make comments that we would not appreciate somebody else making about us. Not to mention how this might affect their families who didn't choose that life.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I think I’ve said this before but in Bollywood, there was only one family who had acting talent that spanned four generations:The Kapoors. First generation was just Jayant Kapoor. He had three sons:Raj, Shammi, and Shashi-ALL of them were so talented. Shammi in his 30s was referred to as the Indian Elvis. He was soooo handsome. As was Shashi. Shashi’s sons were GODAWFUL and were one and done at their attempts to make it in movies. Shammi, I think didn’t have any kids, or if he did, they didn’t go into acting. Raj had two sons: Randhir and Rishi-BOTH talented. And Rishi’s son, got some of the talent as well. And that’s where it ends.

Randhir’s two daughters can’t act their asses out of a paper bag, yet have made it based on family name and looks. They’re both awful.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 2
  • Useful 4
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think I’ve said this before but in Bollywood, there was only one family who had acting talent that spanned four generations:The Kapoors. First generation was just Jayant Kapoor. He had three sons:Raj, Shammi, and Shashi-ALL of them were so talented. Shammi in his 30s was referred to as the Indian Elvis. He was soooo handsome. As was Shashi. Shashi’s sins were GODAWFUL and were one and done at their attempts to make it in movies. Shammi, I think didn’t have any kids, or if he did, they didn’t go into acting. Raj had two sons: Randhir and Rishi-BOTH talented. And Rishi’s son, got some of the talent as well. And that’s where it ends.

Randhir’s two daughters can’t act their es out of a paper bag, yet have made it based on family name and looks. They’re both awful.

Awful, but still selling out at the box office because of their name?  

I think Jamie Lee Curtis has joked about being a nepo baby.  

• Like 2

Pet peeve:  Pronouncing the word "skeletal" as "skel-EEE-tal". 

My husband and I were watching a science show and one of the British commenters pronounced the word with the "eee" sound.  I almost thought it wasn't a thing until I looked it up and found out it's an alternate pronunciation in British English depending on the region, although pretty much all the YouTube videos I found from the UK (including the Cambridge dictionary) pronounce it the way Americans do, as "skel-eh-tal" with the accent on the first syllable and not the second. OK, problem solved. But since then we have been hearing it pronounced with the "eee" sound by Americans, also on TV shows and YouTubes. WTF? This goes along with my pet peeve about young people copying the mistakes of other young people that they hear online. I know a lot of people think it's OK if language evolves, but skel-EEE-tal just sounds all kinds of wrong to the general American ear and when I've heard Americans say it that way it sounds pretentious to me.

42 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Awful, but still selling out at the box office because of their name?  

I think Jamie Lee Curtis has joked about being a nepo baby.  

The movies were successful despite them as they were supported by better actors and actresses. They’re just eye candy.

I know this is picky but it is an ongoing peeve I see not just in random posts but in the newspaper from time to time: "lead" as the past tense of "to lead."  The past tense is simply "led."

Maybe what confuses people is that the element "lead" is pronounced like the past tense of the verb ("led").

• Like 8
4 hours ago, graybrown bird said:

Maybe what confuses people is that the element "lead" is pronounced like the past tense of the verb ("led").

Also that the past tense of "read" is still spelled the same, despite rhyming with "led." English is weird.

(But yeah, I fully share your "led" peeve... I teach high school, and none of my students spell it correctly.)

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

LOL at the Wilford Brimley GIF, because my mother has, in her old age, for some reason taken to mispronouncing diabetes that way, and every time she does it in front of me, I call her Wilford Brimley.  Those commercials drove me insane back in the day, and now she's the culprit.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 7