Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

Welcome back, Peevers.  Anyone else having trouble with Primetimer on the iPad?  It's working okay on my desktop computer, but not on my iPad.  Very strange display, whether in DuckDuckGo or Safari.  This is since the revived appearance today.

I will also report on Bugs thread. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2
On 12/19/2023 at 6:40 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

Waiting on a UPS package, checking the tracking for such, and seeing that UPS has transferred my package to the post office for final delivery and here is your USPS tracking number. Seriously?! In my area, this means I may get the package anywhere from the next day to never. Naturally on what I’m waiting on the post office is currently delayed. Why can’t UPS just deliver it themselves? One time a package did get so badly held up I got the shipment several days late and damaged. So frustrating. 

What's really frustrating is when the tracker shows the package is sitting at the USPS sorting facility 10 miles from my home and it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 business days to get to me.  I wish they had an option to go pick it up there!  

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Welcome back, Peevers.  Anyone else having trouble with Primetimer on the iPad?  It's working okay on my desktop computer, but not on my iPad.  Very strange display, whether in DuckDuckGo or Safari.  This is since the revived appearance today.

I will also report on Bugs thread. 

I couldn’t use the site on my iPhone/iPad for a few hours. At least I have reddit.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Same!!! “They” promise me us some REAL ❄️ this winter! But alas it seems we won’t get it into February! Dammit.

While I prefer summer, in winter, if it’s going to snow ❄️, I want more than the piffle dusting!

2 hours ago, ABay said:

Climate change. I want snow. I can't remember the last time there was snow on Christmas. It doesn't even have to be snowing on the day, snow on the ground would be enough.

Sorry, I posted before posting the quote so it’s backwards.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ABay said:

Climate change. I want snow. I can't remember the last time there was snow on Christmas. It doesn't even have to be snowing on the day, snow on the ground would be enough.

I feel the same.  I cannot remember a Christmas from my childhood when we didn't have snow on the ground in southern Wisconsin.  I'd be outside every day of the holiday break from school playing in the snow (my siblings and I would construct a snow fort at each end of the driveway and have epic snowball fights), sledding, and skating.  It's in the mid 50s here today and that is what is expected tomorrow.  By the end of the week temps to be almost "normal" with highs expected in low 30s but no accumulating snow predicted at all in the 10-day forecast.  Bah humbug!

• Like 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ABay said:

We don't have snow here, ever, and I'm very happy about that, but I know that for a lot of people for whom a "white Christmas" is traditional, it's a bummer not to have one. 

The lack of urgent action on climate change - not to mention the science, pah denial - is thoroughly depressing.

• Like 9
4 hours ago, ABay said:

A-freaking-men. I live in Iowa. I want it to be cold and snowing at Christmastime, damnit! 

It's supposed to be in the 50s here today, too, which also ticks me off. If I'm not going to get my white Christmas, it should at least have the decency to still be cold. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1
Just now, Annber03 said:

It's supposed to be in the 50s here today, too, which also ticks me off. If I'm not going to get my white Christmas, it should at least have the decency to be to still be cold. 

It's about 60-65* here today and tomorrow, so that's perfect Christmas weather as my dad insists on having the fireplace going all day long on Christmas (which means there have been a couple of years where we had to open the sliding door as it got too warm on that side of the living room).

*That's cooler than average for this time of year in L.A., so cold to us.  Or at least sort of cold; the 50s are officially cold.  The rare daytime temp that starts with a four is our own  little apocalypse and we refuse to step outside.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

We don't have snow here, ever, and I'm very happy about that, but I know that for a lot of people for whom a "white Christmas" is traditional, it's a bummer not to have one. 

The lack of urgent action on climate change - not to mention the science, pah denial - is thoroughly depressing.

If it continues this way, in a few decades the upper Midwest is going to be the moderate climate everyone will be moving to.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

A-freaking-men. I live in Iowa. I want it to be cold and snowing at Christmastime, damnit! 

It's supposed to be in the 50s here today, too, which also ticks me off. If I'm not going to get my white Christmas, it should at least have the decency to still be cold. 

It will be close to 60 degrees here, too. We had snow a week ago - it was beautiful, and unexpected. It wasn't supposed to stick, but it did, and was here for two days. 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Unseasonably warm here as well but I personally hate snow on Christmas. Too many family members trying to drive and navigate roads in snowy weather. Give me snow anytime of year but Christmas Day. July is even ok. 

Christmas 2020 we had a massive snowfall Christmas Eve. Sort of unexpected. We had our annual party with my mother in law and my family made it home ok but the rest ended up parking at their neighborhood entrances hoofing it home in pj’s with small kids. 

• Like 3

I’m not a fan of snow any more, if it could just snow to the north and west of me I’d be happy.  That or if I was able to move somewhere that clearing it is not my responsibility *and* I’m not required to go outside until it’s gone.  I’d love a warm, sunny, green holiday and look enviously at photos from friends who were able to move to warmer climates.  

• Like 4

I miss having white Christmases and snow throughout winter too. We still get the cold nights in PA but I want the big snowstorms where you can’t go anywhere and Christmas to feel like winter! 

My pet peeve: people who need to write long posts about why they’re leaving a Facebook group/dropping a streaming membership/etc. I am on a Facebook group for a fitness streaming app and someone posted this morning “It is with a much lighter heart that I share my decision to drop my subscription…” I mean, no one cares, Karen. Unsubscribe and leave. It isn’t that serious. You were never saving the world because you did workouts on your Roku or iPhone.

It was the same thing when I was on the ER Sun and people would be like oh my friends left this sub because people hate Abby too much here. Good for them. Does anyone actually give a shit how they feel? Why do these people think they’re so important that they can’t just leave a group or drop a subscription without having to tell anyone about it? As the saying goes “This isn’t an airport; no need to announce your departure.” 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I was going to vent about something, I opened this thread, and totally forgot what I was going to say. It just disappeared from my mind. 

We found out yesterday, that my only remaining aunt in England, had a small heart attack recently. They said something about her blood vessels being too small, so she's on blood thinners. I just want her to be okay. 

I can remember a peeve, but I don't want to mention it today, and it was something that someone said a few months ago.

Edited by Anela
  • Hugs 8
On 12/23/2023 at 8:53 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

Update:  iPad interface has been fixed. 

Mine too, but I lost my personal messages.

What’s with these jars lately.  No gadget will open up most jars.  Even the men in my life are having a hard time.  People who don’t have help must be furious.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 3
8 minutes ago, partofme said:

My pet peeve is currently the primetimer community survey, it requires a gmail account to participate and I’m not creating one   

Hmm, I took the survey and don't recall having to have a gmail act. I have one, but don't use it here, it is very recent. I took the survey before all the upgrade glitches so it may have disappeared anyway.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, kristen111 said:

What’s with these jars lately.  No gadget will open up most jars.  Even the men in my life are having a hard time.  People who don’t have help must be furious.

Russian can opener  works on a lot of jars 

D194DACC-C977-45B9-ADCD-06DD9B44D402.jpeg

Opens jars like these with ease 

E70DCB8B-8275-4395-96E1-35194CE1EB73.jpeg

• Useful 3
9 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I’ve always been strong for my age but those jars were giving me hard time so I have one of these…it’s mounted under cabinet and it doesn’t show. Works really well. 

9C15D577-0D50-4051-BA25-414483408895.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Hmm, I took the survey and don't recall having to have a gmail act.

The first screen says you have to log in, and then when you click to do that, the only option is to log in with a Google account.  This issue was raised and acknowledged in the Tech forum, but I don't know if there's been a resolution; pretty short-sighted to ask site users for feedback but only allow feedback from some of those users.

10 hours ago, kristen111 said:

What’s with these jars lately.  No gadget will open up most jars.

I haven't yet encountered a jar I can't open.  I'm pretty strong, but I still run into difficulties sometimes.  I have two different devices, both based on the winning combination of grip and torque, that almost always work, although sometimes one better than the other for reasons I've never bothered to analyze.  Every once in a great while, the old knife or slamming technique to break the seal instead is necessary, which is another mystery of physics I've never delved into.

20 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

I’ve always been strong for my age but those jars were giving me hard time so I have one of these…it’s mounted under cabinet and it doesn’t show. Works really well. 

That's a cool idea I'd never come across before. 

• Like 2

I'm so irritated at American Airlines. I had four flights with them in late November and they only gave me points for three. When I contacted customer support, they said no problem, they'd add the missing flight credit to my account. Then today, they want me to email them my old boarding pass. I had a digital version through the app that I didn't save, how on earth am I supposed to find it now? And how do they think I caught my connecting flight in London if I did not take my first flight from the US (the one I'm missing posts for)?

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 2

If you turn the glass jar upside down and tap it on a counter at an angle all the way around the lid it will break the suction and open right up.

If you focus on turning the container and not the lid it usually opens right up on other items.

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 2

I hate all of the refillable soap dispensers! Or at least the 5 or 6 I have tried. Why do they all clog and/or drip? Come on. Does anyone have one that doesn't do these annoying things?!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I hate all of the refillable soap dispensers! Or at least the 5 or 6 I have tried. Why do the all clog and/or drip? Come on. Does anyone have one that doesn't do these annoying things?!

We do. It's just Soft Soap brand. TBF, my husband washes it completely when he re-fills it.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I hate all of the refillable soap dispensers! Or at least the 5 or 6 I have tried. Why do they all clog and/or drip? Come on. Does anyone have one that doesn't do these annoying things?!

I've had great luck with OXO Brand if you want to start with an empty one.

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

We do. It's just Soft Soap brand. TBF, my husband washes it completely when he re-fills it.

58 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

That's what I do. 

This is what I do, too. Soft Soap and the Target brand equivalent in a similar container. Those things are indestructible. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

America's Test Kitchen recommended this one, and it has worked great.

• Useful 2

Thanks, all! I prefer the buy empty and fill with whatever you want, partially because of aesthetic preferences and partially because of product preferences (cruelty-free/vegan and annoyingly sensitive skin, as you may already know from the FitBit band rant, haha!)-- apparently I'm a fancy delicate diva who just wants it all in the world of soap!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
23 hours ago, Bastet said:

America's Test Kitchen recommended this one, and it has worked great.

I love Simple Human products. 100% worth their hefty price tag.

22 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Thanks, all! I prefer the buy empty and fill with whatever you want, partially because of aesthetic preferences and partially because of product preferences (cruelty-free/vegan and annoyingly sensitive skin, as you may already know from the FitBit band rant, haha!)-- apparently I'm a fancy delicate diva who just wants it all in the world of soap!

If the Simple Human one is outside your budget I had great luck with a knockoff from Amazon. I also personally used this one from OXO.

5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Ugh, and another peeve follows -- why does this always happen?

411896200_3719607051608022_2843294819391925740_n.jpg.8f133bb47e55e597e2743077c32953d2.jpg

The Zep spray bottle from Home Depot seems to be pretty indestructible. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
42 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I like my soap dispensers to be aesthetically pleasing to my eyes-it’s why I have a lemon shaped dispenser for my bathroom and an apple for my kitchen. Easy peasy to fill from the original soap and refills.

The one we re-fill is crystal clear and it looks great when it's clean. That's why we try to keep it as clean as possible.

• Like 2

I use foaming soap in the bathrooms and the Dial dispenser labels were easily removed with no residue left. I have had the same ones for several years but I use a generic refill because Dial doesn’t offer pear scent as a refill option (at least in my orbit). The container is pleasingly crystal clear with the pale green soap showing through. 
The soap peeves:

I have a laaaarge enamel double sink that has the left side shaped to allow handles on pans to fit when sitting them in the sink. It came with a soap dispenser but that damn thing loses its prime so often that I just gave up on it.  Which leads to…

… that area where the sink curves out has a perfect spot to place the soap bottle. But Dawn is the one that has the new upside down squirt bottles and NOT my beloved Palmolive. So I wore myself down and bought a Dawn that I will refill with Palmolive. I haven’t attempted to get the label off yet but I hope it doesn’t leave a residue. 

I like pleasing dispensers also and I have a white ceramic Swedish gnome one filled with handsoap next to the sink  and it sits in a little cobalt blue glass dish I found in a junk shop for fifty cents. I loved the notched out curved sides on it. Later I realized it was an ashtray, lol. And I loved it even more, ha. 

Edited by stewedsquash
Apostrophe
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

I use foaming soap in the bathrooms and the Dial dispenser labels were easily removed with no residue left. I have had the same ones for several years but I use a generic refill because Dial doesn’t offer pear scent as a refill option (at least in my orbit). The container is pleasingly crystal clear with the pale green soap showing through. 
The soap peeves:

I have a laaaarge enamel double sink that has the left side shaped to allow handles on pans to fit when sitting them in the sink. It came with a soap dispenser but that damn thing loses its prime so often that I just gave up on it.  Which leads to…

… that area where the sink curves out has a perfect spot to place the soap bottle. But Dawn is the one that has the new upside down squirt bottles and NOT my beloved Palmolive. So I wore myself down and bought a Dawn that I will refill with Palmolive. I haven’t attempted to get the label off yet but I hope it doesn’t leave a residue. 

I like pleasing dispensers also and I have a white ceramic Swedish gnome one filled with handsoap next to the sink  and it sits in a little cobalt blue glass dish I found in a junk shop for fifty cents. I loved the notched out curved sides on it. Later I realized it was an ashtray, lol. And I loved it even more, ha. 

I love Palmolive dish soap. It's the only brand that keeps my sponge from getting the funk.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I don’t use sponges. I use those blue/white disposable towels and stainless steel scrubbies for my pans. But yes, I use one of the towels for about a week or so before it goes bad and it never gets funky. 

In case it’s not obvious, I don’t use a dishwasher. I hate them and also love washing dishes. I had a dishwasher in my old dream house and seldom used it. I dreaded loading it, waiting for a full load, the washing smell ( it didn’t stink it was just a steamy smell), waiting for it to dry, having to rewash crusted on stuff, unloading it. I can wash dry put away a sink/counter full in 20 minutes and be done with it. Longer if I am daydreaming or watching critters while looking out the double windows into the woods. We kept the hickory cabinets in this house (the man who built it used wood from the hickory trees on the land) when we updated it when we moved in after losing my dream home in a tornado but replaced the space where the dishwasher was with three very large drawers. 

Edited by stewedsquash
So many errors from my thumbs lol
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I haven’t attempted to get the label off yet but I hope it doesn’t leave a residue. 

If it does, try an alcohol-based wipe, or use a paper towel with some isopropyl alcohol.  One of those should be able to remove the residue.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
On 12/27/2023 at 11:30 PM, Bastet said:

On 12/27/2023 at 11:30 PM, Bastet said:
  On 12/27/2023 at 7:08 PM, Gramto6 said:

Hmm, I took the survey and don't recall having to have a gmail act.

The first screen says you have to log in, and then when you click to do that, the only option is to log in with a Google account.  This issue was raised and acknowledged in the Tech forum, but I don't know if there's been a resolution; pretty short-sighted to ask site users for feedback but only allow feedback from some of those users.

All I remember was I went to the Survey note at the top of the page and it took me directly to the survey. It didn't ask at that time for any other log in, other than being logged into Primetimer, which I believe I use a hotmail addy.

I filled it out and submitted it. That was right around the time when all the upgrading was going on and posts and things were lost along the way. Maybe they changed it after the upgrade? When I have time, I'll see if I can do it again or if it shows I already have. 

I messed up the quotes, can't seem to get the double quote right...sorry.

• Useful 1