Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

41 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

In my grandmother's obituary (very late 60's) all my married aunts were listed as "Mrs John Smith (Mary)". Not sure why anyone would still use that form of address though!

The Junior League (women’s service group) referred to its presidents as Mrs. Husbandsfirstname Marriedlastname until the 70s.  And most didn’t smile for their portrait photo until, perhaps, just before that.  

• Sad 1
On 8/21/2022 at 6:36 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

I must be feeling a little (a lot?) grouchy this weekend because my latest pet peeve is people who announce their monthly wedding anniversaries. Yes, congratulations Katie you’ve been married for three months!  How impressive! And you were together with your husband for 10 years before that anyway. One of my other friends is doing this too and between the hundreds (it seems like) of wedding photos they posted and now the monthly anniversary posts I just want to be like yes we get it. You’re married. 

Related peeve: being inundated with engagement/wedding/maternity photos on my FB feed. Call me a grumpy old lady but why do your 599 FB friends need to see all 8,000 pics from your photo shoot? How about making one a profile pic and then, if people ask to see more photos you can create a private group? 

5 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

In my grandmother's obituary (very late 60's) all my married aunts were listed as "Mrs John Smith (Mary)". Not sure why anyone would still use that form of address though!

I once had to respond to a letter that was written to our CEO from a woman who had a problem at one of our locations. Since there was no email or phone number listed I had to use snail mail and addressed the envelope to her first name-last name. Our letterhead includes the general office number and about a week later I received a call via our operator from a very irate elderly lady who admonished me for not "properly addressing" her by Mrs. Husband's Name on the envelope. 

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, BexKeps said:

Related peeve: being inundated with engagement/wedding/maternity photos on my FB feed. Call me a grumpy old lady but why do your 599 FB friends need to see all 8,000 pics from your photo shoot? How about making one a profile pic and then, if people ask to see more photos you can create a private group? 

I know a girl who got married three years ago (and was still wearing mouse ears with a bridal veil attached to them on her most recent anniversary trip to Disney) who posted almost 300 photos of her wedding on her Facebook page. Getting ready pictures (which are an awful trend with the matching robes most women never wear again), pictures of the wedding program, countless group photos, and so on. Come on. I know in 10 years you are not going to look at or care about the photo of the waiter serving appetizers at the cocktail party, or the picture of the church organist from behind. 

I have two other friends who recently got married and after a point, I got honestly sick of looking at the photos. Especially the bride who had a huge bridal portrait on display at the reception and had five priests on the altar like she was Kate Middleton. (She’s somehow related to the bishop of our diocese and her dad used to teach at a Catholic college in the area I think.) It really felt like a display in narcissism, like “look how important my family and I are.” At least put up a massive photo of the groom too! Weirdly enough the brides I know who had laid back weddings did post photos but otherwise weren’t flaunting their status for months on end. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Love 3

A pet peeve I was thinking on this morning; videos of people waking up from anesthesia and acting loopy. To me, it’s not funny, it just seems like making fun of someone at a vulnerable time, recovering from a medical procedure. I would be mad if someone did that to me when I had undergone a medical procedure.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

A pet peeve I was thinking on this morning; videos of people waking up from anesthesia and acting loopy. To me, it’s not funny, it just seems like making fun of someone at a vulnerable time, recovering from a medical procedure. I would be mad if someone did that to me when I had undergone a medical procedure.

Why would someone do that to another person? For YouTube or Tik Tok yucks? I swear...

• Sad 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
46 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Why would someone do that to another person? For YouTube or Tik Tok yucks? I swear...

Let's think about the world before social media.  It hasn't been that long ago that there was no MySpace.

We thought 24-hr news cycles were problematic.  Hah!  Rookies.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

You know my BMW with no driver's side window?  Well, that Mr. Outlier is a genius.  We currently have access to a shop with a bunch of tools so he went to the hardware store and bought a piece of plastic and made a temporary window.

654888052_Carwindow.jpg.aeb86e6b76c5237344377bf8a6487948.jpg

This is a frameless window so he couldn't just tape it along all four sides; it's taped only along the bottom and the left side (as you're looking at it). 

When you close the door from the outside, you push on the door handle and the top right corner of the window simultaneously, to get the window to seat into the groove in the molding along the top of the window opening.

When you get in the car, you close the door from the inside and then use the suction cups to pull down and in on the window to get it to seat into the molding along the top.  

One problem is that the original window is curved.  He got a piece of metal and bent it and taped it to the right side of the window, to act as a camber inducer.  It's obviously not even close to the right shape of curve, but a flat piece of plastic wouldn't have stayed seated in the groove at all, and this at least kind of does.

But not if there's wind coming from the wrong direction, in which case you can hold onto the suction cups to keep the window from flapping wildly. 

Pretty slick, and definitely beats driving around with no window--it's noisy and windy.  And using a towel to try to block incoming rain even after you've checked the forecast before even thinking about going somewhere.  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 8
  • Useful 1
On 8/23/2022 at 1:08 PM, BexKeps said:

I once had to respond to a letter that was written to our CEO from a woman who had a problem at one of our locations. Since there was no email or phone number listed I had to use snail mail and addressed the envelope to her first name-last name. Our letterhead includes the general office number and about a week later I received a call via our operator from a very irate elderly lady who admonished me for not "properly addressing" her by Mrs. Husband's Name on the envelope. 

I once saw an Ann Landers column where a woman wanted to fire her longtime doctor because the new receptionist had used Mrs. First Name Last Name instead of Mrs. Husband's Name. Ann Landers told her to get over it.

My pet peeve is this: I am recovering from covid. No it wasn't serious but it was still awful -- fatigue, cough, runny nose, headaches, GI issues. I got a bunch of people telling me that they never got covid because they're "careful." I'm careful too but I still got it. It really grinded my gears.

• Hugs 9
  • Sad 3
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

My pet peeve is this: I am recovering from covid. No it wasn't serious but it was still awful -- fatigue, cough, runny nose, headaches, GI issues. I got a bunch of people telling me that they never got covid because they're "careful." I'm careful too but I still got it. It really grinded my gears.

Jerks. Just ignore ‘em.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Ergh, yeah, I'd be annoyed about that as well. My mom and I have been very careful throughout this pandemic and we still got it, too. Unfortunately, some of these variants are a lot faster and will get people no matter how careful they are. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

they never got covid because they're "careful."

I suspect it may have been the idiot quotient instead.  Some sort of foil force field.

My husband and I have also been spared, so far, but I sort of feel like serendipity is at play more than anything.

<knocking on wood, big time>

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I'm sorry, and I hope you are feeling better. This summer COVID ran through my friend group (not at the same time and they aren't all in the same 'groups') and all of them are on the "overly cautious" bandwagon, too. Thankfully, the vaccines, and boosters did what they were supposed to and they've recovered.

I haven't gotten it [yet] but I'm single, live alone, WFH and don't really have a social life in Georgia. I am a bit shocked I came out of the summer without catching it though, since I do have a social life in CA and spent a lot of time there this summer doing normal activities like going to a concert, and going to bars. The more I drink the less I care meaning mask wearing diminished exponentially when I was there. I was lucky more than anything.

I look forward to an omicron-specific booster this fall.

Edited by theredhead77
clarification that my friend group isn't one big group who all know each other
  • Like 5
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I once saw an Ann Landers column where a woman wanted to fire her longtime doctor because the new receptionist had used Mrs. First Name Last Name instead of Mrs. Husband's Name. Ann Landers told her to get over it.

I'm so sorry! I don't blame you for being annoyed. A friend of mine who takes covid more seriously than anyone got covid early on. He constantly masked, barely went anywhere, but he got it from his mom who he lives with. I don't know if I ever got covid (was briefly sick but didn't know what it was), but I know luck plays a part in me not officially catching it in addition to working from home, socially distancing, vaccinations, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm sorry, and I hope you are feeling better. This summer COVID ran through my friend group (not at the same time and they aren't all in the same 'groups') and all of them are on the "overly cautious" bandwagon, too. Thankfully, the vaccines, and boosters did what they were supposed to and they've recovered.

Thanks to vaccinations and boosters I was basically fine as well. However, I will say that "mild symptoms" for covid (like I had) are still pretty shocking for a few days for their sheer intensity. Like you don't just have a nagging cough, you are coughing nonstop. You LOSE your sense of taste and smell. Even now (a week afterwards) I am still really fatigued. 

I have more compassion now for a few ballet dancers I knew who due to extreme dancer shortage in a prominent company were dragged back to work after 5 days. I can't imagine doing heavy cardio right now.

• Sad 8
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Thanks to vaccinations and boosters I was basically fine as well. However, I will say that "mild symptoms" for covid (like I had) are still pretty shocking for a few days for their sheer intensity. Like you don't just have a nagging cough, you are coughing nonstop. You LOSE your sense of taste and smell. Even now (a week afterwards) I am still really fatigued. 

YES! I didn't have the smell/taste issue, but holy shit, did I cough like crazy for a few days. there. I remember thinking, geez, this is bad enough and I am fully vaccinated. I can't begin to imagine how much worse it was for those who weren't/aren't vaccinated. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 3
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

YES! I didn't have the smell/taste issue, but holy shit, did I cough like crazy for a few days. there. I remember thinking, geez, this is bad enough and I am fully vaccinated. I can't begin to imagine how much worse it was for those who weren't/aren't vaccinated. 

The lack of smell is shocking. Like ... not to get too explicit here but ... all of a sudden my shit didn't stink lol. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

The lack of smell is shocking. Like ... not to get too explicit here but ... all of a sudden my shit didn't stink lol. 

I had the same experience in a different situation.  First colonoscopy, routine screeming.  Damn you people for lowering the age to 45!  Prep just takes everything out of you purposely and is miserable. I had huge gas after the procedure but was odorless. So weird. 

• Sad 1
  • Useful 1

I am so sick of and annoyed by technology! Why the hell would my phone all of a damn sudden today not receive verification texts, when I was able to receive them just fine 3 days ago? I have not deliberately changed any settings or blocked these 2 separate entities. No one at the provider's customer service (in person or on the phone) can figure it out and now I have to turn off 2-factor security authentication feature for the time being.

• Fire 1
43 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

My next colonoscopy is next year. I've had several and polyps were found each time, but no cancer thank goodness. I just really hate the prep!! 

I hate to sound like the cranky old bat that I am but damn,  if they can invent all this amazing technology, why cant't they figure out a way to make this easier on people?

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I hate to sound like the cranky old bat that I am but damn,  if they can invent all this amazing technology, why cant't they figure out a way to make this easier on people?

Table for one here, but the one I had wasn't all that bad.  The prep didn't taste bad (though I really don't care much for Gatorade), and my pre-prep fasting seemed to make it, well, largely uneventful.   

Supr supr (😉) important test folks.  One of the most preventable cancers, with the benefit of this procedure.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Table for one here, but the one I had wasn't all that bad.  The prep didn't taste bad (though I really don't care much for Gatorade), and my pre-prep fasting seemed to make it, well, largely uneventful.   

Supr supr (😉) important test folks.  One of the most preventable cancers, with the benefit of this procedure.

Yeah agree it is important, but they really need to make it less distasteful. I seem to remember when I first moved here to MT in 2004 all I had to do was drink a pint sized bottle of something to "clear" me out. By the next time, it was the yukky gallon jug of stuff to drink...some kind of "health" issue with the small drink I think...

• Sad 2

Senokot pills for me before the procedure. Also had chicken broth only a couple of days before. Not too bad. Dr told me see you in 10 years. That would be next year.

• Like 2

I couldn't swallow the pills, they were enormous and I felt like I was going to get one stuck and not be able to breathe. I got enough in for the procedure but there were leftovers. Next time I'll insist on the liquid. It was also horrible but at least I didn't think I was going to die.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, ABay said:

I couldn't swallow the pills, they were enormous and I felt like I was going to get one stuck and not be able to breathe. I got enough in for the procedure but there were leftovers. Next time I'll insist on the liquid. It was also horrible but at least I didn't think I was going to die.

This!  I'd never had an issue with the liquid stuff, but people I know did and were glad to hear there are now pills. Well, they're like horse pills!  And you have to take 12 at a time, twice.  I managed to get them all down, but It was a chore.   Also, they weren't covered by my insurance, but I had a coupon so it wasn't too expensive and the doctor was so enthusiastic about them, I figured I'd try. 

Next time, back to the liquid. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I am so sick of and annoyed by technology! Why the hell would my phone all of a damn sudden today not receive verification texts, when I was able to receive them just fine 3 days ago? I have not deliberately changed any settings or blocked these 2 separate entities. No one at the provider's customer service (in person or on the phone) can figure it out and now I have to turn off 2-factor security authentication feature for the time being.

Is your phone and/or your texting app up-to-date? 

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Why haven't they figured out a better way to conduct pap smears and pelvic exams.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Not to be all help-desky on you, but have you shut it all the way off and restarted?  I had to do that with my previous phone occasionally.  

• Love 1

My pills were small white ones. 30 pills for $4.00. Took 8 and threw the rest away. Cheap enough. Drinking broth helps. The less you put in, the less needs to be taken out.

• Like 2

I'm on the 5 year plan because of the polyps. I now have to worry about a driver next year as my normal  one has moved to CA.  These tests that require drivers are very hard for us seniors that are hermits. Especially living in the boonies as I do.

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

These tests that require drivers are very hard for us seniors that are hermits.

They aren't that great for non-seniors who live alone, either. I have to find a friend willing to take some time off to pick me up.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
9 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

They aren't that great for non-seniors who live alone, either. I have to find a friend willing to take some time off to pick me up.

So true, I really don't know what I am going to do next year...

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

So true, I really don't know what I am going to do next year...

No relatives?  Or a neighbor you can pay?    My last one was five yrs ago.  The last three were clear, but I guess it’s time.  I just had an endoscopy and could have had the colonoscopy, but I wasn’t in the mood for the prep.  Aren’t there any services for seniors in your town that can take you and pick you up after?  In my development, I see these little vans carrying seniors to doctors, stores, etc.  There must be some service for seniors, no?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

No relatives?  Or a neighbor you can pay?    My last one was five yrs ago.  The last three were clear, but I guess it’s time.  I just had an endoscopy and could have had the colonoscopy, but I wasn’t in the mood for the prep.  Aren’t there any services for seniors in your town that can take you and pick you up after?  In my development, I see these little vans carrying seniors to doctors, stores, etc.  There must be some service for seniors, no?

I don't know, I will have to look into it. I  live in the boonies of MT and there is really not much available to us here. I need to check with the hospital to see if they have any options.

• Love 2

Speaking of technology my pet peeve is the people who don't have a cell phone (which is fine, their choice) constantly asking to use my cell phone "just to make one call." I have a friend like that. Always ranting about cell phones and how awful they are. Yet always needing to make "just one call" on everyone else's cell phone when we go out.

• Applause 2
  • Love 2

Yeah, I've done it all -- plus called provider 3 times, went to provider store twice, and called Apple (because provider was passing the buck, I think!). My next step is likely switching providers and/or buying a new phone. BOO!

EDIT: The guy I am on the phone with now fixed it! He even said it was an easy fix (for a stupid issue that I have no idea the point of in the first place). Why the 65 other people couldn't help, I do not know.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4
15 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

For all the tests we all need, the hospitals should have some kind of special service for people that need rides door to door.  Then again, insurance would be needed.  I remember driving an hour away to take my parents to doctors and hospitals, with three little kids in tow.  Now, my retired husband takes me somewhere every week, and there’s always some appointment.  I can’t drive again until I get my back fixed up.  I always have my Son in a pinch.  He lives with us since his divorce and is a tremendous help all around.  Says no more marriage for him.

• Love 2

Here’s a story.  After my Father in Law died, my Mother in Law was alone in the apartment.  She went to the Senior Center, found a boyfriend that drove, who took her to doctors, the store, and out to eat.  She went thru three boyfriends.  Case closed.  They even helped clean her apartment, would you believe.  My husband was mortified.  Before the boyfriends, I took her to doctors, even to the eye doctor on MY BIRTHDAY, as it was my husbands turn, but he just got home from work and was tired, so I took her and waited in the parking lot for two hours.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

For all the tests we all need, the hospitals should have some kind of special service for people that need rides door to door.  

This is something I wonder about, what if you literally don't have anyone to drive you to appointments? No family, no friends. What are you supposed to do? Just say "welp, no treatment for me"?

• Sad 4
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, GaT said:

This is something I wonder about, what if you literally don't have anyone to drive you to appointments? No family, no friends. What are you supposed to do? Just say "welp, no treatment for me"?

It’s terrible.  An elderly woman across my street who lost her husband has to call the Cab company whenever she goes to doctors, and it’s very expensive.  Not fair.  Some people cannot afford that.

• Sad 4
1 minute ago, kristen111 said:

It’s terrible.  An elderly woman across my street who lost her husband has to call the Cab company whenever she goes to doctors, and it’s very expensive.  Not fair.  Some people cannot afford that.

Cabs will work for regular appointments, but what about appointments for things where the patient is going to be sedated? They won't let you take a cab (or any car service) then, they will only release you to a friend or family because someone is supposed to watch you the rest of the day. What happens then? You can't even get basic stuff like a colonoscopy, or have a tooth pulled. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, GaT said:

Cabs will work for regular appointments, but what about appointments for things where the patient is going to be sedated? They won't let you take a cab (or any car service) then, they will only release you to a friend or family because someone is supposed to watch you the rest of the day. What happens then? You can't even get basic stuff like a colonoscopy, or have a tooth pulled. 

Or eyes dilated whenever you go to the eye doctor.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, GaT said:

I worry that this could be me in about 30-40 years.  What if my husband could no longer drive and my son lives in another town?  Of course, cars would likely be self-driving by then, but would clinics trust the GPS if I wasn't "with it" enough to control the vehicle if something goes awry?  Then again, technology advances so quickly, so who knows?

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Or eyes dilated whenever you go to the eye doctor.

I have to drive my husband home from the eye doctor this week. Difficulty? I never renewed my license because they kept postponing my renewal date during the pandemic and then I just forgot about it.

• Love 3