Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I am so sick & tired of the release date of almost every book I'm waiting for having it's release date changed. Not by a few days or weeks, but by months. Three more books I was looking forward to in July have all had their release dates changed, one all the way to March 2023. What is the problem? Why does this happen so much?

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 3

Meth heads are my peeve today.  I would like to obtain some pseudoephedrine today, for my congestion, but because it is used in the process of manufacturing meth, it is no longer available on the shelves at any pharmacy.  You have to ask the pharmacist for it, and possibly sign something.  It's been a while since I wanted to buy any.  And the pharmacies (even the pharmacy at the grocery store) seem to be closed today for the holiday, so I have to make do with the lesser version.  It still works, but not nearly as well as the good stuff. 

• Sad 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

My pet peeve of the day is people who own an online space and think that makes them God, or they happen to be well known in an online community and use it to punch everyone else down. I was in a hobby Discord until about an hour ago and got banned for the most childish stuff like “interrupting and misdirecting a conversation” and “venting in the wrong place” and “toxic behavior.” The pettiness reminded me of the arguments I used to have with my sisters and brother when I was a kid. (Don’t worry; we get along fine now or I don’t see them that much anyway since they all live out of town.) I mean, I didn’t even realize one could “interrupt” on Discord if you’re just using text chat. 

Now I understand why some hobbyists say they don’t engage with online communities for their hobby or take time to curate a positive space. You run the risk of running into people like this who are on a power high because they set up a group behind a computer screen. 

On a not-pet peeve note, this is another reason I’m happy to hang out in this space. Other than “be a decent human” I’ve been free to be me and give my opinions or share experiences pretty freely without having to worry about it being in the wrong place or someone giving me a ban hammer. I’m just sad to be ostracized when I go against the hive or don’t really understand what I did wrong. 

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I would like to obtain some pseudoephedrine today, for my congestion, but because it is used in the process of manufacturing meth, it is no longer available on the shelves at any pharmacy.

This is really annoying. You do have to sign before you can buy it. I don't even have allergies, and now, thanks to my husband's, I'm on a government watch list as a potential meth maker. Next time I offer to do a drugstore pickup for him, I'll let him do it himself.

Hope you're feeling better anyway.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

My pet peeve of the day is people who own an online space and think that makes them God, or they happen to be well known in an online community and use it to punch everyone else down. I was in a hobby Discord until about an hour ago and got banned for the most childish stuff like “interrupting and misdirecting a conversation” and “venting in the wrong place” and “toxic behavior.” The pettiness reminded me of the arguments I used to have with my sisters and brother when I was a kid. (Don’t worry; we get along fine now or I don’t see them that much anyway since they all live out of town.) I mean, I didn’t even realize one could “interrupt” on Discord if you’re just using text chat. 

Now I understand why some hobbyists say they don’t engage with online communities for their hobby or take time to curate a positive space. You run the risk of running into people like this who are on a power high because they set up a group behind a computer screen. 

On a not-pet peeve note, this is another reason I’m happy to hang out in this space. Other than “be a decent human” I’ve been free to be me and give my opinions or share experiences pretty freely without having to worry about it being in the wrong place or someone giving me a ban hammer. I’m just sad to be ostracized when I go against the hive or don’t really understand what I did wrong. 

Discord has gotten really ugly as of late. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

This is really annoying. You do have to sign before you can buy it. I don't even have allergies, and now, thanks to my husband's, I'm on a government watch list as a potential meth maker. Next time I offer to do a drugstore pickup for him, I'll let him do it himself.

What's the name of this drug? I used to sign for some drug I was taking (allergies) but it was several years ago. I used to get Rx's filled at Walmart and one time, when I went to get a refill, I was told I couldn't have it, that I'd gotten it too often! I felt like a druggie. So I went to Safeway where I'd also had this Rx filled and no one ever said anything like that to me. Eventually, my Dr put me on something else, some stuff that I didn't have to sign for. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Discord has gotten really ugly as of late. 

For those who don't know what Discord is, in simple terms, it is a website made of many, many micro-message boards / chat spaces.

I'm sorry the groups you are in have become toxic, @peacheslatour :(

47 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

In our case it was Sudafed, but there are probably other brand names.

28 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Pseudoephedrine.

Isn't pseudoephedrine generic for Sudafed (brand name)?

Federal limits are 9 grams per 30 days (I just looked it up). A tablet of pseudoephedrine is 30mg. 9 grams is a LOT.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Yes - I think everyone's saying the same thing in different ways.

I'm a big fan of the house brand of the pharmacy we use.  About half as expensive.  In my state we've had to show id/get put on "the list" for ages now.  Maybe decades?  But it works so much better for cold/sinus stuff than the kind you don't have to sign for.

I try to keep a little supply on hand, so I hadn't thought about what would happen if you needed some when the pharmacy counter is closed.  Maybe a Target or WalMart would be more likely to be able sell it?

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Maybe a Target or WalMart would be more likely to be able sell it?

It would still have to be sold through the pharmacy section/pharmacist.  I was disinclined to go on a wild Sudafed chase this morning as the lesser option seems to be working okay.  Mostly I didn't want to go into a store just to see that the pharmacy was closed as it was in the grocery store.  I did pass a CVS, but the parking lot was empty!  I didn't bother stopping.  

But I might try again tomorrow if I determine that the other stuff isn't doing its job as well as I'd like.  Sorry, I can't remember the generic name!  It's still a Sudafed, but it's the one that does not contain pseudoephedrine.

We had this stuff in Scotland called Beecham's -- it was a three-in-one and had paracetamol (aka Tylenol), guaifenesin, and the one whose name I can't remember.  Good stuff, but I don't need the paracetamol or guaifenesin.  Just the decongestant.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

But I might try again tomorrow if I determine that the other stuff isn't doing its job as well as I'd like.

Please just be careful. The pharmacies keep track. Just like people Dr shop and use different pharmacies for opioids, they do for this ingredient as well. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It would still have to be sold through the pharmacy section/pharmacist.  I was disinclined to go on a wild Sudafed chase this morning as the lesser option seems to be working okay.  Mostly I didn't want to go into a store just to see that the pharmacy was closed as it was in the grocery store.  I did pass a CVS, but the parking lot was empty!  I didn't bother stopping.  

But I might try again tomorrow if I determine that the other stuff isn't doing its job as well as I'd like.  Sorry, I can't remember the generic name!  It's still a Sudafed, but it's the one that does not contain pseudoephedrine.

We had this stuff in Scotland called Beecham's -- it was a three-in-one and had paracetamol (aka Tylenol), guaifenesin, and the one whose name I can't remember.  Good stuff, but I don't need the paracetamol or guaifenesin.  Just the decongestant.

Sounds like DayQuill.  Although it has the "inferior" sudafed ingredient, I think.  I know you don't have to sign for it.  There are probably a lot of things with that combination.  Regarding the pharmacies - I'm not sure how urban an area you're in (or near to), but if you get desperate, maybe google "24 hour pharmacy" and your zip code, that may give you some options.

21 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Please just be careful. The pharmacies keep track. Just like people Dr shop and use different pharmacies for opioids, they do for this ingredient as well. 

Good to keep in mind, although in BC's case, it sounds like she has yet to be successful at "scoring" this particular miracle drug, so nothing to track at this point.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

38 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

9 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Good to keep in mind, although in BC's case, it sounds like she has yet to be successful at "scoring" this particular miracle drug, so nothing to track at this point.

The amount needed to actually draw the attention of the Feds is far higher than someone buying two boxes of two different cold medicines over the course of a weekend.

• Useful 1

The amount needed to actually draw the attention of the Feds is far higher than someone buying two boxes of two different cold medicines over the course of a weekend.

My son found a full bag (grocery store paper bag sized) of empty Sudafed boxes. I called the police non  emergency line. They did not give a shit, even though I told them there was a credit card receipt in there. I'm guessing it has to be very large amounts.

• Mind Blown 3
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have yet to visit a pharmacy with a pharmacist and sign for anything.  The non-pseudoephedrine Sudafed I got is not tracked.  Pseudoephedrine works so well for me, that I actually wish I could only buy about four pills.  If I recall correctly from the last time I bought it, the smallest box was 16.  I end up discarding most of them at the drug take-back day.

• Useful 1

You know, I’ve never had a problem with kids. But my last two visits to the pool, I’ve been surrounded by the most obnoxious group of tweeners, who have no common courtesy for the other swimmers around them.

They screech and holler as if Freddy Krueger is chasing them. Crowd around the rail that I use to pull myself out because I’m not as flexible as I used to be to jump and pull myself up and over the deck.

And the lifeguard on duty is useless. I mean these kids are running and pushing others into the pool.

So after nearly three days with no Inter or teevee (I found today some MORON who did the updates, either forgot to reattach my cord into the main box, or decided to leave mine unconnected for shits and giggles), tech came out to find out why  I still had outage. After that was resolved, I went to the pool to relax and swim. The first two hours were blissful. But because of the obnoxious brats, I had to cut my pool by one hour. 

But there’s tomorrow after the sleeper sofa arrives. And at least I left today with a nice tan.

I remember being a tween and teen, and even a middle schooler-and I was never this obnoxious.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Pseudoephedrine works so well for me, that I actually wish I could only buy about four pills.  If I recall correctly from the last time I bought it, the smallest box was 16.  I end up discarding most of them at the drug take-back day.

I have a shopping list at the chemist every time I go home, pseudoephedrine is part of it as it’s OTC there.  Just checked my last (12) packet and it went out of date in February, but I’m keeping it because I know it will still work better than the inferior stuff they sell here.  My cold sore stuff (Zovirax) is still in date, fortunately!

With the unbelievable cost (and lack of availability) of hotel rooms and car rental I don’t think we’re going home this year either so my supplies need to hold out a while longer.  

Edited by Caoimhe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Hello everyone! I usually don't post in this forum (but do read it a bit) and I was a bit peeved over the weekend about businesses that display the flag outside. I had some errands to run and noticed that a lot of the flags are really tattered and look pretty crappy. Some of them looked like just strips of ribbon blowing in the breeze. I think these flags need to be replaced when they look so shabby. If the owners are concerned with how to dispose of them, they can take them to the nearest VFW or American Legion and they will take care of it for them. With all the insanity going on in this country right now I know some worn-out flags don't really matter but I can't help but feel it is a reflection of the state of this country. 'Nuff said-rant over.😒

• Like 4
  • Applause 6
On 7/4/2022 at 3:14 PM, theredhead77 said:

Federal limits are 9 grams per 30 days (I just looked it up). A tablet of pseudoephedrine is 30mg. 9 grams is a LOT.

I've taken Sudafed every day for at least 20 years.  It used to be OTC, and then became restricted.  You have to buy it from the pharmacist, and each purchase has to be "approved" by the database, which limits the amount you can buy in a month.  The monthly allotment will get you three boxes of the 10-count 24-hour Sudafed, or 30 days worth. 

At one point, Target was interpreting the limit as one box every 10 days.  So if I was at Target on Monday and then on Saturday, I couldn't get more on Saturday even if it was the first two boxes I'd ever bought in my life and was therefore not exceeding any monthly limit.  It was a massive PITA and not what the law says.  Then CVS took over Target pharmacies and jacked up the price so I quit getting it there anyway. 

I endure the hell of the Walmart pharmacy for my Sudafed, and let me tell you, I was NOT happy when I went there last week and stood in the pharmacy line (which will make you despair for humanity), and then the fucking database interface wouldn't work, so I couldn't get any.  It was a lot simpler (and completely useless for enforcement) when they just had a sheet of paper everybody would sign.

Whenever I can talk him into it, I take Mr. Outlier with me and we both get it, which helps immensely to loosen up the stranglehold on my Sudafed supply.  I'm sure it looks suspicious as hell for us to be there together both getting Sudafed, with out-of-state driver's licenses, but we're not doing anything wrong so I don't care.

BTW, in Oregon, Sudafed is by prescription only. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

When people say they want to be in a relationship because they don't want to die alone. 

That only works if you die before your partner!

I guess they think the 50/50 shot is better than nothing? 

This is actually something I've given a great deal of thought. I'm attracted to men around my age and older, but kinda want one around my age or slightly younger. As common as it is, losing a soulmate sounds excruciatingly painful. 

• Love 2

I guess a 50 percent chance is better than 100. But as a straight woman being partnered with a partner of similar age, my chances of dying alone are not much better than when being single.

Anyway, it bugs me.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I guess a 50 percent chance is better than 100. But as a straight woman being partnered with a partner of similar age, my chances of dying alone are not much better than when being single.

Anyway, it bugs me.

True, I take the fact we live longer into account. 

A pet peeve of mine is not receiving a thank you for a gift.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, supposebly said:

When people say they want to be in a relationship because they don't want to die alone. 

And as if the relationship isn't statistically likely to end before either partner dies.  What a stupid reason to seek out a romantic relationship/remain in one that is no longer working.

Even if one has children, grandchildren, siblings, niblings, etc. that's no guarantee against dying alone. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Having exprienced illness a few times this year (not Covid, won't bore with the details), I sort of get the don't want to die/face illness alone mindset.  Do I think it's a selfish and superficial reason to couple up? Yes. Can I wish my husband wasn't himslf disabled to the point that he couldn't help me?  Also yes.  I'm not alone alone, but when so sick you can barely drag yourslf to the bathroom, let alone want to shlep into the kitchen for ice water or a bit to eat, refresh the cold washcloth, etc., I was alone.  Cats still had to be fed, cat boxes still had to be emptied.  It sucks.

Gawd, what a crybaby, lol.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Hugs 6
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, supposebly said:

And in some relationships, you're more alone than if you are on your own.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11
11 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

And in some relationships, you're more alone than if you are on your own.

Yes this happens. Sometimes a partner is super needy and controlling. They get in the way of your hobbies, seeing your family and spending time with friends. I could never be with a man like that. I'd say more but don't wanna get OT. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

As pointed out, those people who say they want to be in a relationship because they don't want to die alone are assuming they will die before their partner.

I've never known pain greater than what I experienced after the death of my husband. In the depths of my grief, I realized that the many times I had hoped, even prayed that I would die first, so I wouldn't have to live without him, I was essentially wishing this indescribable agony on the person I loved most in the world. How selfish of me. 

I apologize for straying from the peeve of people who say they want to be in a relationship because they don't want to die alone. To those people, I think I would have to smile and try to change the subject. Some subjects are just too close to the heart.

• Hugs 11
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1

Ok related to that: I once worked with a woman who told me that the greatest shame that could befall a woman was if she had her own bank account. She said she'd always had a joint bank account, and that a woman with her own bank account meant she had no husband to support her.

My dog-days-of-summer pet peeve is the Europeans who lecture people about AC's.  I'm tired of it. AC's are wasteful, they cause bad air circulation, it's better to just brave the heat, in Germany NO ONE uses an AC, blah blah blah. I'm like you try 90 degree, 70% humidity weather with no AC.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 6
44 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Ok related to that: I once worked with a woman who told me that the greatest shame that could befall a woman was if she had her own bank account. She said she'd always had a joint bank account, and that a woman with her own bank account meant she had no husband to support her.

My dog-days-of-summer pet peeve is the Europeans who lecture people about AC's.  I'm tired of it. AC's are wasteful, they cause bad air circulation, it's better to just brave the heat, in Germany NO ONE uses an AC, blah blah blah. I'm like you try 90 degree, 70% humidity weather with no AC.

This.  And when people from, say, Hong Kong tell you you're going to freeze to death because it's like 12 C (~53.5 F) outside and it's early March.  I'm from Canada.  That's called a heat wave or Fake Spring where I'm from (to be fair, I DO enjoy snickering at locals when I go to HK and it's December.  They think it's freezing when it's considered "warm" to us Canucks).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

What an idiot.

• Applause 3
  • Love 6
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Yeah but a certain kind of very old-fashioned, traditional woman still thinks this.

When I was a vet tech, we had a client (older lady) who didn't know how to drive, write a check or make an appointment. We never saw the old man but whenever she brought her dog in, he would sit out in the car. She would come in with a signed blank check and we'd fill it out for her. I said to the vet "when her husband dies, she's going to be screwed." He replied "No shit." 

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 5
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

When I was a vet tech, we had a client (older lady) who didn't know how to drive, write a check or make an appointment. We never saw the old man but whenever she brought her dog in, he would sit out in the car. She would come in with a signed blank check and we'd fill it out for her. I said to the vet "when her husband dies, she's going to be screwed." He replied "No shit." 

My aunt is like that. She's never driven, written a check, or even made a phone call on a cell phone. Her husband does everything for her. He tried to teach her how to make a phone call on her own cell phone and she shut down and accused him of trying to abandon her. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Sad 3
1 minute ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Her husband does everything for her.

My parents are the opposite. My dad refuses to learn to use a cellphone, a computer, deal with finances, doing income tax returns or pay proeprty taxes or any kind of bill. He can shop, he can drive, he can cook, but he will end up being a tax delinquent if my mother dies before him. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 2

"loveeeee" to mean you really, really, really love something.  The E is silent; adding more of them doesn't change the way the word sounds.  While it would still be juvenile, "looooove" would at least properly represent in writing how the word is sometimes verbally drawn out for emphasis.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

1) I don't combine my finances with my boyfriend because he's bad with money and has debt. I've had to help him here and there, i.e., float him until payday, and now that I don't have a new job yet, I'm TERRIFIED about money. I worked with him for a long time on reducing his debt and keeping a budget. He got a new job about three months ago and is making slightly more money. He's spending it, too, and I'm freaking out. He doesn't get that we can't spend ANYTHING extra right now.

2) Air conditioning is becoming a necessity because of global warming. (Scientific American)

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

"loveeeee" to mean you really, really, really love something.  The E is silent; adding more of them doesn't change the way the word sounds.  While it would still be juvenile, "looooove" would at least properly represent in writing how the word is sometimes verbally drawn out for emphasis.

And related to that, I hate "yassssss" or "yaaaaaaaaasssss." 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Egod to all of this! My first husband, the father of my two precious children  is still alive, married to another woman, God bless them.

My second husband was 21 years older than me and I guess in the end I was the end he was able to procure me in his way. He was cruel and punishing but his life in Hungary during WW2 framed a lot of his life. I know he really loved me and he did provide for me well for the rest of my life.  

But the cruelty just hurt and still does...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Hugs 9

I know I'm lucky to have this as a pet peeve, especially after the last few years, but I got my second Covid booster yesterday and it kicked my ass yet again. Every single dose has made me feel like I have the flu--chills, fever, body aches, headache, nausea. Luckily, the time I feel sick seems to get shorter after every dose, but still. I got the booster because I'm traveling internationally next month, so I figured better safe than sorry. I felt sick for less than 24 hours this time but my arm is still killing me. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Feel like it? I do! It riles my misophonia.  

I should have worded my post better. I don’t mean chewing, slurping, and whatnot. I mean the long and constant “mmmmmmmmmm’” where it sounds like it belongs in the bedroom. 

• Mind Blown 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I know I'm lucky to have this as a pet peeve, especially after the last few years, but I got my second Covid booster yesterday and it kicked my ass yet again. Every single dose has made me feel like I have the flu--chills, fever, body aches, headache, nausea. Luckily, the time I feel sick seems to get shorter after every dose, but still. I got the booster because I'm traveling internationally next month, so I figured better safe than sorry. I felt sick for less than 24 hours this time but my arm is still killing me. 

After my second shot, I was nauseous for one month and lost ten lbs.  Dr. sent me for a complete blood work, a CT Scan of my abdomen and pelvic area and an Endoscopy of my stomach.  I was scared.  All Normal.  I know it was the shots.  I still feel very tired and not hungry anymore.  Lost total 16 lbs.

• Sad 5