Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

My dad has COVID. He's 74 and a type-1 diabetic. He's had several serious health scares in recent years. Very recently, he had a "minor" stroke and now wears a heart monitor. He's asymptomatic right now; I think he was exposed by a friend. My mother isn't sick.

She said, "Two years and this country is still letting us down. I can't believe it." And the later in the chat, she said, "I've been wearing my mask for the last week or so."

I basically read her the riot act. I know my dad hasn't been wearing a mask. At least they were both vaxxed and boostered, but Omicron laughs at that. I told them to stay home, and for longer than five days. I won't get political, but the CDC's new five-day quarantine guideline isn't completely science based. I am not a crackpot.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 4

I believe I will win the internet today for pet peeves. We had someone fix our oil tank filler mechanism a couple of weeks ago. The tank wasn’t getting filled. The tank ran dry and it had to be restarted. Then the boiler started going on and off signaling that the dry tank had caused a clogged filter. Fourth visit this afternoon to fix filter. All day we could smell oil. The moron created a leak!  Finally checked again and saw leak from filter. It was gushing all over.  The fire dept came and shut off the oil and put down kitty litter. Now we are still waiting for the oil company to return and fix again. Oh, and it’s 14 degrees. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

UPS adventures! I hope your package shows up soon.

Thanks! Fortunately, it's not serum or something really important.

There was a famous pilot in the 1930s named Wrong-Way Corrigan. I wonder if he was flying the UPS plane today.

• LOL 10

8 hours ago, PRgal said:

All "newer" area codes are weird.  Until maybe 10-15 years ago, the middle number was always a 0 or 1.  Now, you get area codes like 437 (that's the area code UberEats uses...at least around here) or something like that.  Delivery apps typically hide the delivery person's actual area code for privacy reasons.  Once the food's at your door, you won't be able to contact them anymore.  

Where I live added a second area code 20 years ago; the middle digit is 4.

• Love 1

Pet Peeve: When you click on the Bell Icon that's saying that someone reacted to one of your posts, the link doesn't take you to your post but to one a couple of posts before or after.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Leeds said:

Where I live added a second area code 20 years ago; the middle digit is 4.

The first area code change where I’m from was some time in the 90s, but it was a split.  Subsequently, there have been two (at least) additions.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Leeds said:

Pet Peeve: When you click on the Bell Icon that's saying that someone reacted to one of your posts, the link doesn't take you to your post but to one a couple of posts before or after.

I have my font set to Extra Large, so this happens all the time for me, even when it’s just new posts.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I believe I will win the internet today for pet peeves. We had someone fix our oil tank filler mechanism a couple of weeks ago. The tank wasn’t getting filled. The tank ran dry and it had to be restarted. Then the boiler started going on and off signaling that the dry tank had caused a clogged filter. Fourth visit this afternoon to fix filter. All day we could smell oil. The moron created a leak!  Finally checked again and saw leak from filter. It was gushing all over.  The fire dept came and shut off the oil and put down kitty litter. Now we are still waiting for the oil company to return and fix again. Oh, and it’s 14 degrees. 

Heat update:  oil company showed up at 6 am. House is warm again. They are really stretched thin with the low temperatures. 

• Love 17
5 hours ago, Leeds said:

I'm having trouble, yet again, with this.  It seems to go in spurts.  There is a "bug" reporting thread here somewhere, but I can never remember where it is.  Also seeking the memory boost thread, lol.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm having trouble, yet again, with this.  It seems to go in spurts.  There is a "bug" reporting thread here somewhere, but I can never remember where it is.  Also seeking the memory boost thread, lol.

Try this: 

https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/4378-bugs-questions-suggestions/

I once tried tying a knot in my hanky as a reminder to do something, but then I couldn't remember why.

Some people swear by this:

image.thumb.png.f3b869f62858ec170f329ebe4967fa39.png

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Thanks! Fortunately, it's not serum or something really important.

There was a famous pilot in the 1930s named Wrong-Way Corrigan. I wonder if he was flying the UPS plane today.

Whenever I tell a customer their delivery ETA I always say "it will ship today from [warehouse location] and should be delivered by [date], unless UPS sends it on an adventure." It usually gets a laugh.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I have my font set to Extra Large, so this happens all the time for me, even when it’s just new posts.

I didn’t even know about the font size, and just changed it to Extra Large.  It’s right on the bottom of each page.  Thanks!

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I actually had a scammer leave a message this afternoon.  Occasionally I get messages in Chinese.

I get them too.  I always thought it was because of one of my last names but then a friend (who does not have a Chinese sounding last name) said she got them too. And both of us have phone numbers on the Do Not Call list. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Leeds said:

10 hours ago, PRgal said:

The first area code change where I’m from was some time in the 90s, but it was a split.  Subsequently, there have been two (at least) additions.

9 hours ago, ginger90 said:

In case anyone else is thinking, what the heck are they talking about? I don't see any font size!  It's not an option on the IPS Default theme.  But that one's still my preference, for various reasons.  There's still some jumping around, but mostly only on pages with a lot of pictures or videos embedded.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

People who park selfishly. Unless it’s an emergency, why would you take up two parking spaces at the front of an establishment? It’s especially inconsiderate when it’s freezing outside. 

It's so that no one can park on either side of their precious car (& possibly scratch/nick the paint). 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

People who park selfishly. Unless it’s an emergency, why would you take up two parking spaces at the front of an establishment? It’s especially inconsiderate when it’s freezing outside. 

I used to think they were all selfish assholes, but I have also observed more than a few elderly, whose families haven't intervened, try unsuccessfully to navigate into a single spot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I used to think they were all selfish assholes, but I have also observed more than a few elderly, whose families haven't intervened, try unsuccessfully to navigate into a single spot.

My Alzheimer's afflicted father could not understand the concept of handicapped spots. You can't believe the cost of getting ticketed for that. Not that I disagree with it but I could not get  him to understand that it was wrong. Took his cars away as fast as I could.

• Love 4

Tv related peeve - people who will not accept it when you tell them you don't want to watch a certain show.  "Oh but you love history, you have to watch Game of Thrones", "I know you don't like gory shows but trust me Dexter isn't that bad", "If you like Big Bang Theory then I know you'll love Letterkenny".  Sigh.  I don't mind suggestions but I don't appreciate being badgered.  

Edited by SusannahM
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My Alzheimer's afflicted father could not understand the concept of handicapped spots. You can't believe the cost of getting ticketed for that. Not that I disagree with it but I could not get  him to understand that it was wrong. Took his cars away as fast as I could.

I've long felt that it's one of the most difficult passages in the lives of families - to remove someone's driving privilege.  Unfortunately, too few are willing to take it on, leaving to chance whether or not the obvious dangers will come to pass.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I've long felt that it's one of the most difficult passages in the lives of families - to remove someone's driving privilege.  Unfortunately, too few are willing to take it on, leaving to chance whether or not the obvious dangers will come to pass.

I was not willing to let him hurt himself or anyone else. My husband went into the garage one day and took the distributor out of the Benz and the Jag was old and always breaking down. I marched into the Jag shop with my POA and took that car too. We gave it to The Make A Wish foundation. He took cabs for a while and that was costing a fortune (he went out to his club and then to lunch every day, seven days a week). 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SusannahM said:

Tv related peeve - people who will not accept it when you tell them you don't want to watch a certain show.  "Oh but you love history, you have to watch Game of Thrones", "I know you don't like gory shows but trust me Dexter isn't that bad", "If you like Big Bang Theory then I know you'll love Letterkenny".  Sigh.  I don't mind suggestions but I don't appreciate being badgered.  

Or that when you're through with a show, you're through with it.  I still have people trying to get me to watch seasons eight and nine of The X-Files.  Why? 

I gradually lost interest in the show somewhere in season five, and quit altogether at some point in season seven, because even the great dynamic between Mulder and Scully wasn't enough to slog through the mythology mess.  I later made it through the revival seasons 10 and 11 to see how things played out with them working together again.  If anyone enjoyed those two seasons with no Mulder and two new characters, rock on with their bad selves.  They do not interest me now any more than they interested me then.  I don't know why that matters to anyone.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Or that when you're through with a show, you're through with it.  I still have people trying to get me to watch seasons eight and nine of The X-Files.  Why? 

I gradually lost interest in the show somewhere in season five, and quit altogether at some point in season seven, because even the great dynamic between Mulder and Scully wasn't enough to slog through the mythology mess.  I later made it through the revival seasons 10 and 11 to see how things played out with them working together again.  If anyone enjoyed those two seasons with no Mulder and two new characters, rock on with their bad selves.  They do not interest me now any more than they interested me then.  I don't know why that matters to anyone.   

Same. I hated the government conspiracy/space aliens crap to death. Give me the monster of the week stuff.  I will never forgive Tea Leone for making them move the show from Vancouver BC to L.A. It ruined the ambience altogether.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Aw my heart goes out to elderly who are just doing their best. I only get annoyed by anyone who's a healthy, able-bodied person and just doesn't care. 

• Love 5

Every so often, an anti-masker shares an article about N-95s being the only mask that works, like it’s a “gotcha”. Why don’t they wear *that* mask? Since they are out here, admitting that it works.  

• Love 10
14 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Aw my heart goes out to elderly who are just doing their best. I only get annoyed by anyone who's a healthy, able-bodied person and just doesn't care. 

To clarify, I'm not so much annoyed by the incapable drivers, as I am with their families who won't do the right thing by making other transportation arrangements for them.  Again, I get how hard it is as I've had to do this twice.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, graybrown bird said:

Some elderly folks don't have families, and have to figure out for themselves when they shouldn't drive anymore.

And some know they probably shouldn't be driving anymore but have no other way to get groceries, or to the doctor. It's easy for us to say call an Uber, or use InstaCart but it's not that simple for everyone.

We, as a society, need to do better.

• Love 13
22 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

And some know they probably shouldn't be driving anymore but have no other way to get groceries, or to the doctor. It's easy for us to say call an Uber, or use InstaCart but it's not that simple for everyone.

I work in this area as a lawyer (elder law).  I work on a variety of issues:  guardianship, Medicaid for long term care, disability rights, powers of attorney, to name a few.  After many years of dealing with families in this and related situations (e.g, getting an aide in the home to help out) I have seen it all.  Many elderly people become stubborn in refusing help or refusing to give up driving.  Many adult children in this situation find it difficult to confront the parent, but sometimes it is necessary.  Ultimately I have come to understand this as the most primal of issues.  The elderly person is facing his/her mortality, and this is merely the expression of the fear.  I'm a real hardass on the car situation, however.  It's like drunk driving.  I have no tolerance for putting others at risk. 

• Love 11
54 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I work in this area as a lawyer (elder law).  I work on a variety of issues:  guardianship, Medicaid for long term care, disability rights, powers of attorney, to name a few.  After many years of dealing with families in this and related situations (e.g, getting an aide in the home to help out) I have seen it all.  Many elderly people become stubborn in refusing help or refusing to give up driving.  Many adult children in this situation find it difficult to confront the parent, but sometimes it is necessary.  Ultimately I have come to understand this as the most primal of issues.  The elderly person is facing his/her mortality, and this is merely the expression of the fear.  I'm a real hardass on the car situation, however.  It's like drunk driving.  I have no tolerance for putting others at risk. 

This was my dad. He raced formula V's into his 50's. He was always a car guy. I did everything I could to get him to stop driving, The police would call me on multiple occasions because my dad had lost his car and was wandering around his town, completely out of it. It took his car breaking down for me to finally get it away from him. I was terrified for months that he was going to hurt himself or someone else while driving, plus he was an alcoholic on top of the Alzheimer's. The stress was unimaginable. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

This was my dad. He raced formula V's into his 50's. He was always a car guy. I did everything I could to get him to stop driving, The police would call me on multiple occasions because my dad had lost his car and was wandering around his town, completely out of it. It took his car breaking down for me to finally get it away from him. I was terrified for months that he was going to hurt himself or someone else while driving, plus he was an alcoholic on top of the Alzheimer's. The stress was unimaginable. 

Wow, that's a double whammy!  You were fortunate nothing happened. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Wow, that's a double whammy!  You were fortunate nothing happened. 

I laid awake nights for months worrying. I wish my mom had told me because it wasn't until after she died that I found out the truth. I never even had a chance to grieve for her, I had to jump in and start caring for him right away. I pray I don't do that to my son. I think people live too long these days.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I laid awake nights for months worrying. I wish my mom had told me because it wasn't until after she died that I found out the truth. I never even had a chance to grieve for her, I had to jump in and start caring for him right away. I pray I don't do that to my son. I think people live too long these days.

As I said above, I've seen it all.  Being an elder law attorney is at least 50 percent social work/psychology.  So much is about family dynamics. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Love 2

My grammy was the same way, peacheslatour. Stubborn as hell, was the driver for both herself and my papa for years (he lost an eye in WWII and did not feel comfortable behind the wheel once he retired), a speed demon, and kind of mean when someone told her something she knew deep down but didn't want to hear. It took her running into her own outside garage wall before she gave up the car (she couldn't judge the distance and ran smack into the bricks). Thank God it wasn't another car or house or person. 

1 hour ago, emma675 said:

My grammy was the same way, peacheslatour. Stubborn as hell…

I think we might’ve had the same Grammy!!
Mine refused to give up her car keys until she was 92 and showing slight signs of the dementia that eventually overtook her. When she was consecutively reported for nearly causing two major accidents in parking lots, she FINALLY relented and gave up her keys before it was legally forced on her.
The worst came a few years later when we had to take away her phone too because she’d call up 911 just to chat and complain—aging is so brutal on so many, but I’m just grateful we her family were there to help her not hurt herself or others before she finally passed at the age of 101.

My pet-peeve of the day? Random internet cruelty to others for opposing opinions.

One reason I appreciate these forums so much is because mature adult behavior/discussion and not attacking other members for their viewpoints is a requirement here; not so much at some Facebook groups and Instagram/Reddit pages, where some people will drag a perfect stranger in a minute for daring to disagree or offer an opposing viewpoint.

I literally had one gal at a celeb gossip site on Facebook mock my character/looks/career ((after trolling my own private profile like a creepy stalker)) just because I dared mention why I wasn’t a big fan of a performer being discussed on a thread. Had another person ask “What’s wrong with you?” Like I was on there saying I kick puppies or worship coffee filters or something just because I dared not fawn over some random celeb they liked?

Sorry I didn’t find this particular actress all that pretty or funny, apparently I’m a “vile and disgusting” person for politely mentioning this among strangers in a celeb gossip discussion group.
Still gave me some slight relief to report those weirdos to the group moderators; I’m not looking to get doxxed by some butthurt trolls just because I didn’t openly worship one of their beloved celebs.

Guess I’ll NEVER understand the weird need to pick on other strangers I’ve never met on social media just because they dared say something I didn’t like about a show/movie/celeb/politician/influencer that I like. 
It’s beyond rude and just hella creepy.

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 6

Like I was on there saying I kick puppies or worship coffee filters or something just because I dared not fawn over some random celeb they liked?

*dead*

No, I stay the hell away from any celeb worship or "reality" show crap. I think that kind of thing is bad for society in general and the rabid fans are the result.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

To clarify, I'm not so much annoyed by the incapable drivers, as I am with their families who won't do the right thing by making other transportation arrangements for them.  Again, I get how hard it is as I've had to do this twice.

Oh I totally got ya! :) Agree with you. I was just trying to be clear I have a heart for people who really are just doing their best. It's the folks who can park properly and don't who annoy me. 

4 hours ago, graybrown bird said:

Some elderly folks don't have families, and have to figure out for themselves when they shouldn't drive anymore.

4 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

There was a 5 foot, 80 pound 73-year-old woman dementia who left Walmart without paying for $14 worth of items. She was violently arrested and ended up with different injuries, including a dislocated shoulder. It broke my heart. 

9 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

There was a 5 foot, 80 pound 73-year-old woman dementia who left Walmart without paying for $14 worth of items. She was violently arrested and ended up with different injuries, including a dislocated shoulder. It broke my heart. 

Why in the world would someone need to manhandle an 80 lb 73 year old woman in an effort to arrest her? Was this a police officer or a security guard? 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Oh I totally got ya! :) Agree with you. I was just trying to be clear I have a heart for people who really are just doing their best. It's the folks who can park properly and don't who annoy me. 

While young punks in California can empty shelves and get away with it. 

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Why in the world would someone need to manhandle an 80 lb 73 year old woman in an effort to arrest her? Was this a police officer or a security guard? 

It was a Loveland Colorado police officer. A lawsuit was filed, I don’t know the status of it.

• Love 3
On 1/18/2022 at 12:01 PM, SusannahM said:

peeve - people who will not accept it when you tell them you don't want to

This is the entirety of one of my biggest peeves.  Why can’t people drop the issue after - “I don’t want to”.  Go to the movies, watch that show, have a glass of wine, go/do (wherever/whatever).  Why do people think they need to know my reasons?  (Obviously, I am not talking about stuff like not showing up for work, I mean just the average day-to-day stuff.)  Why can’t you just accept the fact that I don’t want to have a glass of wine?  Or that I don’t want to go to the beach or the movies or the mall.  Why do you think you have a right to my reason and then further aggravate me by arguing about my reason?  I have had “good” wine and I still don’t like it and I don’t think I will “have fun once I get there”.  I am an adult for God’s sake - just take my word for it when I say “I don’t want to”.  

I may be a little crabby today. 😡

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

This is the entirety of one of my biggest peeves.  Why can’t people drop the issue after - “I don’t want to”.  Go to the movies, watch that show, have a glass of wine, go/do (wherever/whatever).  Why do people think they need to know my reasons?  (Obviously, I am not talking about stuff like not showing up for work, I mean just the average day-to-day stuff.)  Why can’t you just accept the fact that I don’t want to have a glass of wine?  Or that I don’t want to go to the beach or the movies or the mall.  Why do you think you have a right to my reason and then further aggravate me by arguing about my reason?  I have had “good” wine and I still don’t like it and I don’t think I will “have fun once I get there”.  I am an adult for God’s sake - just take my word for it when I say “I don’t want to”.  

I may be a little crabby today. 😡

"NO" is a complete sentence. I have learned to just say "I won't be doing that." People who know me know that's all they're going to get out of me.

• Love 14
6 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

My father was a good driver pretty much until the end.  He knew he wasn't up to driving on the highway anymore so he stayed local and his little sphere shrank every year.  Then suddenly at the age of 92 he started miscalculating and scratching his apartment building's parking lot gate, then a few weeks later sideswiped the garage door, causing thousands in damage and the building to take away his garage space.  I thanked them because I was in the middle of threatening to take his car away because he refused to stop driving.  He wasn't up to parking it on the street and moving it on street cleaning days so that was that.  He didn't have Alzheimer's or dementia but had become very stubborn about giving up his freedom. 

It's a very hard thing for anyone to come to terms with.  We rely so much on our cars to do everything.  He lived in NYC so there was plenty of transportation available for seniors plus he had a friend/paid helper that would drive him anywhere so he really had no excuse.  3 weeks after I drove his car 100 miles up to where I live to have the damage repaired he went into the hospital with Covid and he died a week after that in early April of 2020.

7 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

I think we might’ve had the same Grammy!!
Mine refused to give up her car keys until she was 92 and showing slight signs of the dementia that eventually overtook her. When she was consecutively reported for nearly causing two major accidents in parking lots, she FINALLY relented and gave up her keys before it was legally forced on her.
The worst came a few years later when we had to take away her phone too because she’d call up 911 just to chat and complain—aging is so brutal on so many, but I’m just grateful we her family were there to help her not hurt herself or others before she finally passed at the age of 101.

My pet-peeve of the day? Random internet cruelty to others for opposing opinions.

One reason I appreciate these forums so much is because mature adult behavior/discussion and not attacking other members for their viewpoints is a requirement here; not so much at some Facebook groups and Instagram/Reddit pages, where some people will drag a perfect stranger in a minute for daring to disagree or offer an opposing viewpoint.

I literally had one gal at a celeb gossip site on Facebook mock my character/looks/career ((after trolling my own private profile like a creepy stalker)) just because I dared mention why I wasn’t a big fan of a performer being discussed on a thread. Had another person ask “What’s wrong with you?” Like I was on there saying I kick puppies or worship coffee filters or something just because I dared not fawn over some random celeb they liked?

Sorry I didn’t find this particular actress all that pretty or funny, apparently I’m a “vile and disgusting” person for politely mentioning this among strangers in a celeb gossip discussion group.
Still gave me some slight relief to report those weirdos to the group moderators; I’m not looking to get doxxed by some butthurt trolls just because I didn’t openly worship one of their beloved celebs.

Guess I’ll NEVER understand the weird need to pick on other strangers I’ve never met on social media just because they dared say something I didn’t like about a show/movie/celeb/politician/influencer that I like. 
It’s beyond rude and just hella creepy.

Keeping this away from experiences I've had with people who worship a certain politician: I experienced that with people who worship this guy called the Medical Medium. I started to write more, but I actually can't be bothered. It's been a few years, but I'm sure they're still trying to convert people. 

• Love 1

Here's a pet peeve - Lately I notice a trend in ads and online articles toward calling any kind of wool or wool-look coat a "pea coat".  Up until only a few years ago the world seemed to know that the pea coat was only one type of coat.  We also had overcoats, top coats, duffle coats and car coats.  Now no one under a certain age seems to remember that the modern "pea coat is an adaptation of an outer coat, generally of a navy-colored heavy wool, originally worn by sailors of European and later American navies. Pea coats are characterized by short length, broad lapels, double-breasted fronts, often large wooden, metal or plastic buttons, three or four in two rows, and vertical or slash pockets." (According to Wikipedia).

This feeds into a rant of mine about how younger generations are increasingly misusing words and mis-naming things.

I started with my first pea coat around age 9 or so.  My uncle was a sailor and I remember him wearing one when I was a kid.  Right now they're not in fashion but a decade ago they were pretty hot.  They come in and out of style on a regular basis.  I still have a few in my closet in different colors.

A sailor wearing a pea coat.

Navy-peacoat-600x400.jpg

• Love 4