Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

My peeve of the day - some of the cloth masks I bought almost 18 months ago are getting a bit worn, the elastic a bit tired, and since our case numbers are shooting up AGAIN, I'm probably going to have to buy more of the damn things.  When will this end? 

I think we all know the answer to that.

On the shoe thing. I wear a size 5W. I haven't been able to buy a pair of shoes for 10 years.

• Love 4

My pet peeve for today:  That my husband waits to tell me that we are out of something, (in this case coffee), until it is completely gone. I've told him before to let me know when it's getting low, then I can be sure to put it on the list to buy (he hates grocery shopping) so we don't run out of it. ARGH! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

When dating does a man's height really matter?

Back in the day, Susan Anton (5 foot 11 inches tall) was in a relationship with Dudley Moore (5 foot 2 and a half inches tall).  They seemed to be happy.

It doesn't matter the way kindness does, no. But women generally like to be shorter, and men generally like to be taller. I don't need an NBA tall guy. I just don't like to tower over a man when I have my heels on. I don't consider that super picky. What I don't get are the women around 5'2" who want men at least around a whole foot taller. 

ETA:

Another pet peeve would be masks for me! People are saying isn't it great you save money on makeup during covid! Not really, cause we're spending it on masks. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

My pet peeve for today:  That my husband waits to tell me that we are out of something, (in this case coffee), until it is completely gone. I've told him before to let me know when it's getting low, then I can be sure to put it on the list to buy (he hates grocery shopping) so we don't run out of it. ARGH! 

Mom, I didn't know you were on this forum.

• LOL 16
23 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

Except for the fact that mine doesn't tell me at all, even after the item is completely used up (or he leaves like a teaspoon's worth so he has plausible deniability), we could be involved in some kind of weird interstate bigamy situation. But I'll be generous and let you keep him.

• LOL 11
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My lack of self control. I ate an entire box of Mac & Cheese for lunch. It was delicious but I over-ate and need a nap.

I feel you. I ate tortilla chips with guacamole and spinach artichoke dips for lunch today. I'm turning into Oliver from Only Murders in the Building (he claims to live on dip).

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

On the shoe thing. I wear a size 5W. I haven't been able to buy a pair of shoes for 10 years.

That was my mom! Try Clarks! That was/is the only brand she could reliably find in her size that are a good value.

And to chime in on the pet peeve issue du jour, I went to a very large birthday party yesterday at a restaurant and ordered a tri tip sandwich which came which a huge heaping of the most delicious french fries (normally not a food I eat). Despite my resolution not to eat the whole thing, I did and it was yummy and I had major indigestion all night last night and it was my own damn fault. So much for self control (no, alcohol was not involved :)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

But women generally like to be shorter, and men generally like to be taller.

I think that's often true for significant height disparities, but do you think most men and women care about a couple inches difference?  To me, that's effectively the same height, and I wouldn't even take notice, let alone care.

My dad is two inches taller than my mom, and when my mom showed her aunt her wedding dress and shoes, which were 3-inch heels, her aunt gasped, "You'll be taller than him!  You have to wear low-heeled shoes."  My mom told her that was ridiculous, and pointed out she'd worn such heels numerous times they'd gone out, and my dad certainly didn't seem to care that they made her a little taller than him, but her aunt insisted it was different for the wedding, and think of the pictures.

This percolated in the back of my mom's mind, and she found a pair of 1-1/2 inch heels she liked.  But she liked the others better, and had come back around to thinking her aunt was off her rocker, so she asked my dad if it would bother him if she wore the high heels.  His response was basically, "Is this some bizarre sort of pre-wedding test?  Why would I care?"

• LOL 6
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

Except for the fact that mine doesn't tell me at all, even after the item is completely used up (or he leaves like a teaspoon's worth so he has plausible deniability), we could be involved in some kind of weird interstate bigamy situation. But I'll be generous and let you keep him.

Mine leaves the empty container/wrapper on the dishwasher. This is a signal meaning "We are out of this thing."

• LOL 9
2 hours ago, BexKeps said:

My ex used to put the empty milk or juice carton back in the refrigerator "to keep it fresh."

1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

And, @Mondrianyone, if you are my ex's wife, sorry, no backsies!

• LOL 8
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

I feel you. I ate tortilla chips with guacamole and spinach artichoke dips for lunch today. I'm turning into Oliver from Only Murders in the Building (he claims to live on dip).

I had tortilla chips with hummus for "dinner" last night. One of the best things about being an adult is that you can eat whatever you want whenever you want.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
2 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I had tortilla chips with hummus for "dinner" last night. One of the best things about being an adult is that you can eat whatever you want whenever you want.

Damn right. When my hubby goes to visit his sis down state, I have cheesecake for dinner.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Yes.

Which is why I'm still a tiny bit peeved that Wegmans decided to rearrange everything when we're in pandemic mode. 
Two of my daughters worked in grocery, so I know a reason behind this is to get people to see and buy things they wouldn't otherwise.
But I cannot be the only one who instead cannot find things on my list and so does not buy them, and even more so now when I want to get out of the store ASAP. 
And when I asked the very young man in the apron and mask where the candy bars were, he got a serious deer-in-headlights/this-is-my-first-day-here look.
Poor thing was probably told the guy he replaced is hospitalized with Covid. 😳

So no 72% dark chocolate for me.

But, honestly, that candy bar would have been gone moments after I got home. 
I had a sandwich just now.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Someone on my FB posted a meme about that it goes something like "according to my profile I'm a single person but according to the box of Kraft Dinner I just ate I'm a family of 4".  

Well now I'm just peeved I don't have easy access to Kraft Dinner. It is not the same as Kraft Mac & Cheese. And I ate Amy's Organic Mac & Cheese today (why did I buy a 12pk at Costco? I'm a single person with 4-legged roommates).

I had McDonald's for dinner, complete with a hot fudge sundae (buy a lottery ticket, their ice cream machine was working!). 

I'm eating my stress and my stress tastes delicious.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Another pet peeve would be masks for me! People are saying isn't it great you save money on makeup during covid! Not really, cause we're spending it on masks. 

I still wear make-up at home when I'm working (I have many Zoom calls), plus masks for errands and appointments, so I'm certainly not saving any money in that respect.

My pet peeve of the day: the grocery store stocking the things I need on a high shelf where I can't reach them, and nobody around to help. Only once I start scaling the shelves like a monkey a store assistant materializes to give me a judgmental look and ask in a passive-aggressive tone if they can help me get anything. I've seen assistants use stepladders to stock the high shelves, so why can't they leave them there for customers to use? Or, even better, have attached rolling ladders like they do in some libraries.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My lack of self control. I ate an entire box of Mac & Cheese for lunch. It was delicious but I over-ate and need a nap.

I hope you had a sleeve of Girl Scout cookies to finish off the meal.

My grocery store decided to rearrange the produce section last autumn when our COVID numbers were out of control (looks like this autumn is going to be repeat) and I wanted to get in and out of the store as quickly as possible. I spent about about quadruple  my usual time going back and forth muttering things like "where the HELL are the lemons??"   I had to relearn how to write out my grocery list, since I write it in the order I encounter things.  Grocery stores like messing with us, don't they?  I remember several years ago when they moved oatmeal and other hot cereals from the cereal aisle to the vegetable aisle.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Calvada said:

I hope you had a sleeve of Girl Scout cookies to finish off the meal.

My grocery store decided to rearrange the produce section last autumn when our COVID numbers were out of control (looks like this autumn is going to be repeat) and I wanted to get in and out of the store as quickly as possible. I spent about about quadruple  my usual time going back and forth muttering things like "where the HELL are the lemons??"   I had to relearn how to write out my grocery list, since I write it in the order I encounter things.  Grocery stores like messing with us, don't they?  I remember several years ago when they moved oatmeal and other hot cereals from the cereal aisle to the vegetable aisle.  

My Wegmans reorganized. I hate it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

But, honestly, that candy bar would have been gone moments after I got home. 

You make it all the way home before eating it?!  I’m impressed.  I usually don’t make it out of my parking spot.

The Meijers I (reluctantly) shop at doesn’t tend to do major rearranging, but continuously moves things just a little bit.  The peanut butter & jelly were moved from the west side of the aisle to the east and soup went from one end to the other.  Other things just make no sense - why are baked beans in with canned meats and not with canned veggies? And the produce aisle seems to have no rhyme nor reason at all.  It just seems like they dump things in the first empty space they come to.  But my biggest gripe is sale items - I understand putting some of them in a featured spot (the sale aisle or end cap), but for cripes sake don’t put them all there.  Leave some in the normal spot so that I don’t have to wander around for 20 minutes getting more pissed off by the second.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

I've seen assistants use stepladders to stock the high shelves, so why can't they leave them there for customers to use? Or, even better, have attached rolling ladders like they do in some libraries.

Liability.  If you fall off a store-provided ladder, they're in a lot more trouble than if you climb the shelves and fall, which is an unintended use of their equipment.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Liability.  If you fall off a store-provided ladder, they're in a lot more trouble than if you climb the shelves and fall, which is an unintended use of their equipment.

That reminds me of a recent pet peeve that has happened twice in the last 10 days. I am looking for a specific item and the only one left on the shelf is way in the back where I can't begin to reach it. Once I got a clerk to get the item and the second time, I just bought a different item. Frustrating and in my opinion bad business not to keep the shelves properly stocked.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I am looking for a specific item and the only one left on the shelf is way in the back where I can't begin to reach it.

I think I might just have had a good idea! You know those grabber thingies--a pole with a trigger grip on one end and a pair of grippers on the other that come together when you pull the trigger? Well, they sell a folding version of those for anywhere from $10 to $20 on Amazon and even less on eBay. If you carry a giant tote bag like I do, you could fold one of them up and carry it into the store for those high-shelf situations. I may just do that myself someday--if I ever go back into a supermarket again. I really hate standing around for half an hour waiting for a stockperson to come into my aisle and get something down for me.

I love a solution to some problem that involves a gadget.  🛒

Or this could end up with the manager calling for "Cleanup on Aisle 5."

• Love 1
On 8/30/2021 at 9:08 PM, MargeGunderson said:
  On 8/30/2021 at 8:18 PM, theredhead77 said:

Please! And link them (maybe in Chit-Chat?). My shopping habits are shoes, hoodies/jackets and kitchen gadgets. 

Shoes.  I just bought crazy Sketchers all sparkles of every color on QVC today.  Very flashy.  Love them.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I think I might just have had a good idea! You know those grabber thingies--a pole with a trigger grip on one end and a pair of grippers on the other that come together when you pull the trigger? Well, they sell a folding version of those for anywhere from $10 to $20 on Amazon and even less on eBay. If you carry a giant tote bag like I do, you could fold one of them up and carry it into the store for those high-shelf situations. I may just do that myself someday--if I ever go back into a supermarket again. I really hate standing around for half an hour waiting for a stockperson to come into my aisle and get something down for me.

I love a solution to some problem that involves a gadget.  🛒

I’m 5’2” and I had major back surgery in March and couldn’t bend for 4 months. I ventured out on my own one toward the end of month three and I put my grabber in my purse.  I was a the dollar store and used it two times to pick something off the bottom shelf and 2 other times to help someone else get something of the top shelf 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I love my grabber.  I'm tall, so I don't need it in grocery stores - I'm the one who frequently observes a shorter person straining to reach something and asks, "Would you like me to get that for you?" - but I use it to put up my Christmas lights.

I am fine on a stepladder no matter how tall but feel very insecure on an extension ladder (I used to be able to suck it up, but no more - only if my cat's life depended on it would I go more than four rungs up one of those things even though that is totally irrational [as phobias, by definition, are]; on the ground, I understand physics and that I'm safe, but as I head up my fear kicks in, I get anxious, and there's too great a risk my mental state will result in a self-fulfilling prophecy), and there are many places around my house where bushes or bay windows mean I can't position the stepladder in a way that gets me close enough to reach the hooks just with my arm span (I'm plenty high, but too far out).  So I picked up a grabber on Freecyle years ago and gave it a whirl, and it's the perfect extension of my arm for that task.

3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I have, however, lost my grip on a strand of lights, so I'd be a bit wary of using it on a glass jar or such on a high shelf, although as long as you kept it out in front of you, the worst would indeed be a clean-up.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Stats Queen said:

I put my grabber in my purse.  I was a the dollar store and used it two times to pick something off the bottom shelf and 2 other times to help someone else get something of the top shelf

I can't believe that wasn't a completely nutty idea! Yay you, @Stats Queen!

I hope you're all healed from your surgery by now.

I have two of those grabbers, but not the folding kind--although I may get one now. We keep one downstairs in the laundry area to pick up clothes that fall behind the dryer when they come down the laundry chute and one upstairs, mostly to get things down like baskets that are hanging on the wall in the kitchen, where the ceilings are pretty high.

I like the idea of using one to help other shoppers.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Calvada said:

6 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

My Wegmans reorganized. I hate it.

My local Target rearranged things a couple of years ago, & I still can't find things. Also, now they have skinny aisles with support poles in the middle there's no room for your shopping cart, & people are too close together.

2 hours ago, GussieK said:

Our local supermarket has grabbers on each aisle!  Very handy

One time I went over to the pet supplies section and grabbed one of those “pooper scoopers” that opens like a grabber and used that to get a bag of paper cups from the top shelf.  I left it there in case anyone else needed it.  Another time I asked a toddler to climb in to the back of the bottom shelf to get something (with her mother’s permission, of course).  I don’t know why they use full-depth shelves on the top row.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I’m 5’2” and I had major back surgery in March and couldn’t bend for 4 months. I ventured out on my own one toward the end of month three and I put my grabber in my purse.  I was a the dollar store and used it two times to pick something off the bottom shelf and 2 other times to help someone else get something of the top shelf 🤣

Lots of us seem to have these back problems, me included.  I have to look for my grabber now.  Hope your surgery went well.  Been there, now need another.  I don’t know if I could go thru that again tho.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, BexKeps said:

I always buy 2 things of coffee now. And because it’s that vacuum-sealed Bustelo block package thing, I put it in a mason jar. But here’s my coffee trick just in case I run out*: I put a smaller amount in a smaller jar and shove that to the back of the cabinet!

*The “trick” is less necessary now that I work at home. In the “before times,” I made coffee only on weekends, so it was more likely that I’d not realize that it was getting low—and more likely that I’d completely forget to pick some up on my way home. My system was created so that I would not have to get up on a Saturday morning and experience the heartbreak of starting the weekend with an early-morning errand—ugh, no!

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Who knew?! (Not me, obviously.)

That means this great idea should reach my local supermarkets in another fifty years.

I’ve only seen this in small NYC markets. It’s a special breed of store. The shelves are higher than I’ve seen in large suburban markets. They squeeze a lot in. 

• Useful 3
On 9/10/2021 at 12:25 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

Someone on my FB posted a meme about that it goes something like "according to my profile I'm a single person but according to the box of Kraft Dinner I just ate I'm a family of 4".  

Today's peeve: psychics.  Especially the one I saw (briefly I must add) when I was clicking the channels last night.  She calls herself "Long Island medium" and on last nights show she was focusing on 9/11 and bring messages from those who died to their loved ones.  I have no words for people who do this.  Well I do have words but my mother would wash my mouth out with soap if I used them!

Oh, you mean Helmit the Crook?  Yeah, she goes around to peoples houses to tell them what they want to hear, for a hefty price.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Damn right. When my hubby goes to visit his sis down state, I have cheesecake for dinner.

I could eat Lays Vinegar and Salt Potato Chips.  Then my feet swell up.  Then I have to be like Sonja Morgan and take a water pill.

2 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I could eat Lays Vinegar and Salt Potato Chips.  Then my feet swell up.  Then I have to be like Sonja Morgan and take a water pill.

My DH treats himself to a small bag of Tim's Sea Salt and Vinegar once a week. They're kind of smelly though.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

That flavor just hearing it doesn't sound appealing but then I tried them and they are delicious.  

I hate cotton Candy because it's so messy.  

I hate salt water taffy because it's little flavor and like chewing on plastic.  

• LOL 1

On 9/10/2021 at 8:59 AM, shapeshifter said:

Hah! She'd tip over! 

I'm 5'1" and had 5.5 feet before I had kids. My feet grew half a size with each of my 3 full-term pregnancies. You do the math.
I don't mind. Stability is good.
But there were some favorite shoes and boots I had to get rid of along the way.

My feet just got wider so now they're small and fat.

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

That flavor just hearing it doesn't sound appealing but then I tried them and they are delicious.  

I hate cotton Candy because it's so messy.  

I hate salt water taffy because it's little flavor and like chewing on plastic.  

When I travel back (home) to the UK I take an extra empty suitcase so I can fill it with Walker's salt and vinegar crisps, hoola hoops, Cadburys, and Thorntons.  And no, American Cadburys is not the same - tastes like sick.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, Leeds said:

My feet just got wider so now they're small and fat.

When I travel back (home) to the UK I take an extra empty suitcase so I can fill it with Walker's salt and vinegar crisps, hoola hoops, Cadburys, and Thorntons.  And no, American Cadburys is not the same - tastes like sick.

What are hoola hoops and Thornton's?

American chocolate has lots more sugar than European chocolate.   

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

What are hoola hoops and Thornton's?

American chocolate has lots more sugar than European chocolate.   

Hoola Hoops are kind of like potato chips except thicker and shaped in a ring.  (As kids we would put them on our fingers and crunch them off - please someone tell me I'm not alone in doing this!)

Thorntons is a fancy chocolate/sweet (candy) manufacturer.

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

American chocolate has lots more sugar than European chocolate

In general, yes, the amount of sugar in American chocolate is a diabetic coma waiting to happen.  
But not these bars —of which I could not find a single one in Wegmans the other day:   
https://www.ghirardelli.com/dark-chocolate-72-cacao-bar-(12-ct---35-oz-ea)-60721cs

60721_72_Intense_Dark_Chocolate_bar1.png

I also add a teaspoon of unsweetened baking cocoa to my hot chocolate. 

• Love 2

I'm partial to Cadbury and Toblerone bars.

That brings me to my pet peeve-my sweet tooth. I envy everyone who craves food-food, I mostly crave sugar. It's terrible. If you overeat meals or healthier snacks, it doesn't mess with your skin the way lots of sweets does. 

• Love 2

There's a local chocolate brand in Seattle called Theo, which makes delicious dark chocolate with no soy emulsifiers or other non-essential ingredients (they also make milk chocolate but I only eat the dark). The "pure dark" variety only has three ingredients: cocoa beans, cane sugar, and cocoa butter. It's pricy, but worth it.

ETA:

45 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

That brings me to my pet peeve-my sweet tooth. I envy everyone who craves food-food, I mostly crave sugar. It's terrible. If you overeat meals or healthier snacks, it doesn't mess with your skin the way lots of sweets does. 

I used to crave sugar as well, but I've weaned myself off of it. It was hard for a few weeks but after that I stopped craving it. I feel a million times better now - no more energy spikes and subsequent crashes - so it was definitely worth it for me. I still eat small amounts of added sugar like a piece of the aforementioned dark chocolate for dessert, a tablespoon of jam on whole-grain bread with some almond butter, or a teaspoon of maple syrup in a bowl of steel-cut oats and berries. The key for me is to only have the sugar with/after some complex carbs and protein, and only in small portions.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Useful 3
16 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Who knew?! (Not me, obviously.)

That means this great idea should reach my local supermarkets in another fifty years.

So I was at a suburban supermarket today. I had to use my husband’s cane to reach a box of cereal at the back of the top shelf. 

• Useful 4