Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I'm not really in favor of people having to work retail on Thanksgiving (although I can understand the impulse to have some place to go to get out of the house with all the family), but I'm really tired of people complaining about it like it's the most evil thing in the world. I want to tell them that if they are so against stores being open on Thanksgiving because people have to work, they better not watch the parade or football or TV news (or probably TV at all since someone is probably at stations making sure everything is going smoothly) or listen to radio or read the newspaper on Friday. All of those things require people to work on Thanksgiving, but nobody complains about them. Also, they should start complaining about movie theaters and other entertainment venues and restaurants, which are often open on Thanksgiving, at least in the evening. And they better not need gas or last-minute groceries.

Don't forget hospitals. I used to always have to work on Thanksgiving. Or Christmas. I couldn't have both days off. 

"Black Thursday" bothers me only because it means we now need an extra day to spend more money on holiday gifts most of us can't really afford. 

Okay, this is somewhat of a mean pet peeve that will probably send me to hell, but...I hate the fact that old people stare at me and that it's socially acceptable for them to stare at me as long as they want. 

To clarify, my mother lives in a building for independent senior citizens. While some of them have medical issues (some walk with canes or walkers), they are not demented and do not have Alzheimer's--or they wouldn't be able to live in the building. Anyway, when I go to visit my mother, I often have to go into the cafeteria to give her money, a message, etc. And the entire walk across the cafeteria, every eye in the room is fixed on me--and on my children, if they're with me. I should be flattered, right? But I know I'm not Halle Barry or Beyonce, so I know that's not it. And it's not limited to the cafeteria. These wonderful senior citizens stare at everyone who enters the building, be it family members, firefighters, maintenance workers, etc. I guess it wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't hate to be stared at. As it is, it makes me feel self-conscious and creeps me the f*** out. 

So here's my question: little kids stare at people, and they're eventually taught not to. So at what age does it become socially acceptable again to stare at people? And why is it suddenly okay? 

Edited by topanga

So at what age does it become socially acceptable again to stare at people? And why is it suddenly okay?

I think once you reach a Certain Age it becomes socially acceptable to do all kinds of crazy shit. I know I plan to go full-bore hog-wild crazy once I get really up there!!   In terms of staring I know that most (read: ALL) the old broads on the block I live on are checking out  100% of every single thing that happens here (so much for the supposed anonymity of life in Evil Old New York).  I bet they all stare because they have very little else to do.  Not that I enjoy being stared at either, but.........

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 8

Don't forget hospitals. I used to always have to work on Thanksgiving. Or Christmas. I couldn't have both days off. 

"Black Thursday" bothers me only because it means we now need an extra day to spend more money on holiday gifts most of us can't really afford.

That too. Also, police and fire -- and you know some of those people complaining are probably people who are going to have a fire when they try to fry their turkey.

But those are things that (most) people don't voluntarily come in contact with on Thanksgiving. You don't have to shop on Thanksgiving. But you also don't have to watch football. (That statement may be sacrilegious in some places in the United States.)

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 4

Okay, this is somewhat of a mean pet peeve that will probably send me to hell, but...I hate the fact that old people stare at me and that it's socially acceptable for them to stare at me as long as they want. 

To clarify, my mother lives in a building for independent senior citizens. While some of them have medical issues (some walk with canes or walkers), they are not demented and do not have Alzheimer's--or they wouldn't be able to live in the building. Anyway, when I go to visit my mother, I often have to go into the cafeteria to give her money, a message, etc. And the entire walk across the cafeteria, every eye in the room is fixed on me--and on my children, if they're with me. I should be flattered, right? But I know I'm not Halle Barry or Beyonce, so I know that's not it. And it's not limited to the cafeteria. These wonderful senior citizens stare at everyone who enters the building, be it family members, firefighters, maintenance workers, etc. I guess it wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't hate to be stared at. As it is, it makes me feel self-conscious and creeps me the f*** out. 

So here's my question: little kids stare at people, and they're eventually taught not to. So at what age does it become socially acceptable again to stare at people? And why is it suddenly okay? 

Maybe they're wishing someone would visit them and envying your mother.  Your visit may be the most interesting thing that happens to them - even if it's not really happening to them - that day.  I understand why you might not like being stared at, but I would take it as a compliment of sorts. 

• Love 5

Maybe they're wishing someone would visit them and envying your mother.  Your visit may be the most interesting thing that happens to them - even if it's not really happening to them - that day.  I understand why you might not like being stared at, but I would take it as a compliment of sorts. 

Re: older people staring -- maybe they are hard of hearing and rely on their sense of sight more than most. I know that my 86-year-old dad stares at us more as his hearing gets progressively worse. I think it's so he doesn't miss the beginning of a conversation.

I already felt bad about my pet peeve, and now I feel like a monster! I know that no one's intentionally trying to be rude. I just hate to be stared at. Period. I just don't like being the center of anyone's attention. That makes it more my issue, I know. But still. 

• Love 2

I already felt bad about my pet peeve, and now I feel like a monster! I know that no one's intentionally trying to be rude. I just hate to be stared at. Period. I just don't like being the center of anyone's attention. That makes it more my issue, I know. But still. 

I'm sorry, topanga;  I didn't mean to make you feel bad, or worse, about your peeve.  And I get the not staring thing; every once in a while the hub will just be looking at me, and I snap and tell him to stop, he's creeping me out. Or when I'm walking somewhere and draw more than a cursory glance, I check to see if my fly is down or something is hanging out my nose or something.  Hey, it's your peeve, you're entitled to it.  I guess I was just being contrary, and unnecessarily so.

I already felt bad about my pet peeve, and now I feel like a monster! I know that no one's intentionally trying to be rude. I just hate to be stared at. Period.

I hope you don't think I was trying to make you feel bad about your peeve.  I don't like it either,and since I work in a public library I know what it feels like having the random nut who comes in, settles down for the day and just STARES at the people (or worse, one particular person)  on the circulation desk - yikes!  Or at the person across the table trying read a newspaper.  It can get scary.

• Love 2

<===== Is Rather Quite Blessedly-Oblivious To Stares From Others, Actually.....ha..... XD

"Man, What The Phuc Is EveryOne Staring At?!?!?!?" -My Brother during one of our rare Mall Outings, ha.

.....though admittedly, I *did* have A Staring Problem {at Others} for a few years, embarrassingly..... -_-

Took me too many years to Learn Some Thangs; "STARING IS RUDE.", among them.......

>_<

• Love 1

^^^ But they were only following the advise of a zillion cold and flu product commercials that tell you to forge through the germs and go to work anyway!

And if it is in an advertisement, it has to be right.

That's MY pet-peeve: stingy employers that don't allow for more sick time. Servers at restaurants especially end up suffering if they're sick; way too many restaurants don't offer enough sick time to their staff, and yet these folks are handling food!!!

Disgusting.

I realize that on the flipside, employees often abuse sick days too, but it's ridiculous to be questioned about missing work when you're obviously a snotty, sneezing/coughing mess spreading your germs to everyone else around you. It's unfair to your fellow staff especially---why risk infecting others??

• Love 4

I don't like to be stared at, either (even though I admit to pointedly staring at people who rudely have loud cell phone conversations in public spaces instead of stepping outside). FWIW, it took me a bit to get used to the staring that occurs in retirement homes and hospices, but once I realized that many of them want someone to say hello or smile, I began to make a habit of doing that, and the discomfort went away. So I don't know if that's an option for you and your kids, but maybe something to try? Anyway, sorry it's been uncomfortable for you.

I second the pet peeve about people being expected to work when they are infectious. Or "catching" as my friend's mom used to say.

• Love 3

I never thought I'd miss hearing the sound of rakes scraping against sidewalks- but that sound would be music to my ears compared to LEAF BLOWERS!  Yet another reason  why I'd like to apply for a transfer back to the previous millennium.

• Love 6

Oooohhhh leaf blowers. And the awful fumes that spew from them. I particularly appreciate it when the leaf blower operators blow all the dirt onto parked cars, because who doesn't enjoy a dust-and-leaf covered car? Heaven knows I love wasting water in a drought rinsing all the debris off my car that was carefully placed there by some fucking asshole with a leaf blower. Grrrrr.

Qoass, can you rake all your neighbor's leaves back onto their yard? Or bag it up and dump it on their front porch?

I have a double pet peeve today: incompetent store clerks and rude drivers. Normally, I have no issues with my mobile provider; I have dealt with them 99% online with no issues at all for a dozen years. However, the clerks at their retail stores have consistently given me incompetent service; not rude, but just not getting things right. This latest incident was no exception. A couple of days ago I had to go to the cell phone store because my daughter needed a new cell phone quickly.  So we went, selected a new phone and I got the sales pitch on plan A vs plan B. I asked for plan A, the clerk said she would set the phone up before we left, and it would be working within 2 hours. The following day, it was still not working and on top of that, my daughter noticed that the signed paperwork was for plan B instead of the requested plan A. I chatted online with the carrier and they were able to get the phone working (clerk at retail store had forgotten to activate the SIM card) but I would have to go to the store itself again to deal with the wrong paperwork. They noted my account online so that when I went to the store, the clerk there would be able to see that I had already asked about the issue.

I returned to the store and politely explained that I had requested plan A but been given paperwork for plan B, and I would like to have the correct plan. The original paperwork had taken maybe 5 minutes for them to do; this took over 30 minutes. Not helping was the attitude of the clerk who was fixing the problem, who alternated between trying to convince me to just keep plan B and acting as if it was my fault the wrong paperwork had been generated the first time around. My guess is the original sales clerk was new, given the combo of failure to activate the SIM card and wrong paperwork. But this guy was experienced; he just didn’t want to do the extra work entailed. And I could have understood it if the store had been busy, but I was one of three customers in the store during my entire time there, and there was another clerk who helped the other two customers, neither of whom wanted anything other than to just look at some new shiny gadget. So, what the hell is up with sales clerks who refuse to admit that they or one of their colleagues screwed up, and who then act as if you are inconveniencing them by asking them to fix the mistake?

To top it off, on the way home I was about 5 cars away from an intersection, but everyone in the lane to the left of me was changing lanes into my lane; I looked and noticed a stalled car in the left lane just before the intersection. A car signaled that it needed to switch lanes and I slowed to let it get into my lane ahead of me. At which point the asshat behind me blew his horn repeatedly and rolled down his window to yell, “I’m in a hurry, bitch.” Really, dude? Let me then drive right over the cars in front of me so that you can get to the red light a little faster, and in addition, by no means will I do the polite thing to let someone switch lanes; I’ll just make those drivers sit there in an increasingly long line of cars stuck behind a stalled car. Seriously, if allowing one car to get ahead of you is going to make you late for whatever super important thing you have to do, then maybe you should have left a little earlier to allow for traffic.

• Love 5

store clerks who think someone on the phone takes precedent over a customer who is right there in front of you.

At a department store Tuesday -   I walk up to the counter, purchase in hand, credit card ready. 

The clerk answers the phone.  it went something like this:

Yes, we are giving away snowglobes on BLack Friday.  No, I haven't seen them yet, I don't know how big they are.  OK, yes, I understand.  uh huh.  YES, we are open on Thanksgiving.    5 O'clock.   Yes, Ma'am.  No, I don't know if they're giving out the snowglobes on Thursday.   Yes, I understand.   Uh huh.   OK, yes, I have the ad right here.  OK, yes, that's what it says.    The snowglobes are for Black Friday.   yes, it also says to start black Friday early and shop Thursday.     Honestly, I don't know. maybe they'll have the globes on Thursday,  I have no idea.   When they give us the globes, they'll tell us what to do.  Until then, I don't know. 

I walked away without buying anything.   What the hell?   I used to work retail.   We were told -  the customer IN the store is money.  The customer on the phone may or may not be money.   Get the money. 

The right response to that phone call is simple.  "Please hold, I'll connect you to customer service".   Then  wait on the customer. 

Oh, and the customer on the phone is going to be really disappointed when she shows up on Black Friday and finds that the snowglobe is a 2 inch high plastic piece of crap that got her to get up  early the day after a holiday and stand in line. 

• Love 5

I feel ya, BookWoman56 and backformore. Customer service has taken a nosedive in the past few years. And drivers are rude. 

I do get impatient with slow drivers when I'm running late (not that you were driving slowly!). But I have to remind myself that I'm the one running late, not other drivers. And it's my fault that I'm running late, not theirs. 

• Love 3

A local celebrity died recently.   A relative has now taken to various media outlets to announce that the deceased was a drug addict.  I expect many in the business may have known this, however, it was not announced in the obituary as the cause of death (he died of cancer) nor did the family request memorials to a charity related to addiction.  I would never have known about his addiction, nor would the majority of his fans but for this (attention seeking) relative.   The relative say he wanted to make this known, to serve as a warning to others, not that the deceased wanted his life held up as some kind of example. Where in the hell does he get off doing this?  Word to my relatives - If you decide after to my death to announce my personal business to anyone who will listen, you are in for a serious haunting.  

• Love 5
I used to work retail.   We were told -  the customer IN the store is money.  The customer on the phone may or may not be money.   Get the money. 

The right response to that phone call is simple.  "Please hold, I'll connect you to customer service".   Then  wait on the customer. 

I have mixed feelings about this. I think all customers, actual or potential, should be assisted efficiently. I rarely call stores but when I do, it's normally because I have physically gone to a couple of stores that claim they have item  X, when in fact they don't, or their websites are not set up so I can find and reserve item X, or better yet, have it shipped to me. So if I'm in a store and the clerks completely ignore the ringing telephone or don't deal with it appropriately, that's a negative thing for me. For me, it comes down to whether the physical customer or the phone customer made contact first. I sure as hell would be annoyed if I was on the phone with a clerk, only to be put on hold while they wait on someone who got to the counter after the phone conversation was already in progress. Whether it's in person or on the phone, just acknowledge the customer who is next in line and explain you will get to him/her as quickly as possible.

However, the larger issue I think has to do with stores that do not adequately staff their stores or who do not train the sales clerks in good customer service. For the huge holiday season, when you can reasonably expect high volumes of in-store and phone traffic, why not have enough staff to deal with both? Lately it seems as if either there is one clerk trying to deal with a horde of customers; predatory clerks who will not leave you alone while you are shopping because they want to give you a gazillion different sales pitches but disappear as soon as you are ready to check out; or clerks who seem to think their job description is talking to each other about their personal lives instead of checking people out. On the phone issue, I can handle a clerk talking to a customer on the phone before waiting on me. But don't even get me started on the clerks who are on their cell phones talking to friends, etc. and get irritated if you ask them to ring up your purchases. The crappy customer service is a large part of the reason that I much prefer to do shopping online.

• Love 2

I understand your point.  But I believe that the customer standing in the store shouldn't be kept waiting over the potential customer calling from their couch.  the phone customer can be put on hold while the clerk takes my money.  

• Love 4

I'm not in retail but I do staff a service desk and the person who is physically present takes priority over someone on the phone or chat regardless of who was first. If the person showed up first, I don't answer the phone or acknowledge chat. If the call or chat is in progress, I put it on hold and talk to the person standing in front of me. That's our official policy.

• Love 3

I understand your point.  But I believe that the customer standing in the store shouldn't be kept waiting over the potential customer calling from their couch.  the phone customer can be put on hold while the clerk takes my money.  

And I understand that point. My objection is to the automatic assumption by stores that the customer in the store is actually purchasing something whereas the customer on the phone may or not be, when in reality the customer in the store is also only a potential purchaser until the sale is final. I've had to wait in line at stores while some customer talked to the sales clerk at length without ever buying anything, or has gone through 99% of the transaction and then changed his/her mind about buying it. So the policy of always putting phone customers on hold while dealing with in-store customers first, who may or may not buy anything, has the potential to lose some sales as well. I don't see stores telling customers in line that "hey, if you're actually buying something, you get to come to the head of the line while you people who just have questions can wait." (Although it would be nice in some stores to have the equivalent of the grocery store "15 items or fewer" line, such as a "if you are ready to check out, have all the price tags, have your cash/plastic ready and are not going to try to write a check with no ID" line.)

Put another way, I think it's possible to handle the in-store versus phone customer issue with good sense and common courtesy. In the same way that I don't want to start a transaction in a store and have it be interrupted so the clerk can wait on a phone customer, I don't want to be in the middle of a phone transaction and have it interrupted so the clerk can handle another sale, no matter if the other sale is in person or on the phone. Let's say I have called a pizza place with an order for 15 pizzas and have gotten to the specs for pizza #14, when three people come up to the counter. Following the guideline of in-store customers coming first, then I'm going to get put on hold until those three customers have been waited on, when maybe all they want is to ask endless questions about the daily special without ordering anything. At that point, the pizza place has lost me as a customer because I will have called another store that is willing to take my order and finish it instead of treating me like a 2nd class customer. Fortunately, this is not usually an issue for me because I hate shopping in person and on the phone, and with the exception of grocery shopping, my usual attitude is that if something can't be ordered online, then I don't need it.

And KnoxForPres, the idea that people will call to ask about a free snow globe is only slightly less scary than the idea that people will actually line up on Black Friday to acquire the free snow globe.

Edited by BookWoman56
  • Love 3

And in that same vein regarding phone customers...... I used to work in a top 5 nationally recognized bank. Random people were paid to be what they call secret shoppers. Some would come in to visit the bank under false pretenses or call with a list of questions. We were rated on how well we answered the questions, how many rings it took to answer the phone, if they were placed on hold, etc. Ideally the office would be staffed well enough that I wouldn't have to wait on a customer in person and deal with a phone call at the same time but like I said, that's ideally. Each quarter our incentives were based upon these secret shopper results which IMO is BS. Sometimes in order to keep your job you have no choice but to balance the phone and in person customer at the same time.

I'm so glad to be a stay at home mom now and not have to deal with the corporate world anymore :)

I remember the mystery shoppers.  My high school job was cashiering at CVS, and a co-worker got written up for not stapling the receipt to the bag.  The horror!  I once stapled my finger to the bag -- lots  of blood, maybe a muttered obscenity - and I sometimes wonder if I would have received extra credit for that.  In reality, the shopper was a classmate of mine who deadpanned that she'd like a new bag, please. 

Edited by harrie
  • Love 3

We had secret shoppers when I worked in A&P in high school too.  The store I worked in  recently (as in less than a month ago) became an Acme when A&P went bankrupt.  I wonder if my failing to ask customers if they found everything they were looking for played a role in their demise. RME.  The whole mystery shopper thing is stupid. Any customer mid-transaction should take precedence over someone who is just asking questions or doesn't yet have their shit together, whether in person or on the phone. 

Meanwhile, as for those people asking about Black Friday snow globes, I kind of want their life. Must be nice to have nothing real to actually worry about other than a cheap piece of crap. 

We had secret shoppers when I worked in A&P in high school too. 

Daggone it...I loved the A&P.  What the heck happened to it?  Jane Parker rolls...they were so good. The coffee machines...I loved walking past them because they smelled so Heavenly.  OK...it's past time for Americans to whine about the glories of the good old days :>(

• Love 1

Why would someone have a kid's birthday party (to which many other children are invited) from 5-8 p.m. and serve only cake? That's suppertime (not to mention bedtime during that time also). At least have some fruit and vegetables.

There were also far too many children and family members there (seriously, have a family party and a friend party -- everyone will be happier). You don't need 15 children at a 4-year-old's birthday party. That's too many. And it doesn't do a headache any good at all.

• Love 5

We did a party with friends for the first time this year, but he was only allowed to invite five friends (plus his cousin who lives out of state and couldn't come). We had it at the park, so they could play on the playground, and because it ended around noon, I served sandwiches with the cake (also fruit and vegetables for something healthy and for the adults).

And he won't be able to go to the next party because Mommy has a party that day and Mommy and Daddy are going to see Star Wars while he goes to Grammy and Granddad's house. We haven't received the invitation yet, but the mother told me yesterday that the party is going to be the weekend before Christmas because that's the only date the venue they want is available. I thought about telling her the boy couldn't go, but she didn't actually invite us so I thought it wouldn't be polite to assume he was invited even though if he's not it's very rude to tell us about it.

Edited by auntlada

We went to a restaurant for Thanksgiving this year and got a terrible meal with worse service that cost a fortune.  I wrote bout it to the management and got back a form letter.

Bite me.

• Love 2

Dear family member,

Yes, you got me a Fandango gift card and no I haven't reserved my Star Wars ticket.  No, I won't be going opening night and no I won't be going opening weekend.  Yes, I do like Star Wars and yes I intend to go but, no, I won't be scheduling my life around a movie.  Will you please leave me the 'eff alone about this and cram your social media hazing of me up your ass!

Best wishes for you and yours during this yuletide season,

bosawks

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 7

Dear family member,

Yes, you got me a Fandango gift card and no I haven't reserved my Star Wars ticket.  No, I won't be going opening night and no I won't be going opening weekend.  Yes, I do like Star Wars and yes I intend to go but, no, I won't be scheduling my life around a movie.  Will you please leave me the 'eff alone about this and cram your social media hazing of me up your ass!

Best wishes for you and yours during this yuletide season,

bosawks

At least you actually like it. I DO NOT and have zero interest in ever seeing it and am not shy about it but I'm STILL nagged, cajoled and guilted by friends and others that I HAVE to see it. Nope, I don't and my life will go on perfectly fine if I never do so go work on your OWN lives instead of trying to live mine!

• Love 2

Is it possible to discuss television shows, movies, books, etc. without referring to the female characters as bitches and whores? Believe me, I am not opposed to cursing, and can think of many, many other insults to use. Expand your vocabulary, yo.

Small talk, chit-chat...I don't think I'm above it and will engage in it at work because I have to, but I really don't enjoy it. I feel like a real weirdo because most people seem to like it.

People who drop a controversial bomb into a conversation, like...referring to their daughter's black boyfriend as not human? WTF? Pro-tip: Just because I'm pale doesn't mean I'm down with your racist garbage. I find this behavior very mysterious. Do these people surround themselves with exclusively likeminded thinkers to the point they just assume everyone, even people they don't know well, will agree with them?

"Have a blessed day!" Well, no, I don't want to have a 'blessed' day. That's not my scene. How's about "Have a nice/good/lovely day?" It's polite yet inclusive.

• Love 10

These go beyond peeves, but we don't have an "Unjust Shit That Makes Me Hate People" category, so ... yeah. 

Is it possible to discuss television shows, movies, books, etc. without referring to the female characters as bitches and whores? Believe me, I am not opposed to cursing, and can think of many, many other insults to use. Expand your vocabulary, yo.

That a gender slur has become socially acceptable for casual use makes the internet a very frustrating place for me to be.  "Bitch" has specific meanings, and one hell of a history; seeing it hurled right and left when discussing anything from a minor annoyance to a major transgression just because the offender is a woman blows my mind.  Complain about what people do, not who they are.

Pro-tip: Just because I'm pale doesn't mean I'm down with your racist garbage.

Exactly.  And if you spew that stuff to me, I will tell you in no uncertain terms to stop it.  And if it's in a business situation, I will go elsewhere and tell you manager exactly why you just lost a sale.

"Have a blessed day!" Well, no, I don't want to have a 'blessed' day. That's not my scene. How's about "Have a nice/good/lovely day?" It's polite yet inclusive.

So simple a concept, and yet so elusive to many.  Know your audience, and if you don't, say something inclusive rather than making assumptions.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7

Small talk, chit-chat...I don't think I'm above it and will engage in it at work because I have to, but I really don't enjoy it. I feel like a real weirdo because most people seem to like it.

People who drop a controversial bomb into a conversation, like...referring to their daughter's black boyfriend as not human? WTF? Pro-tip: Just because I'm pale doesn't mean I'm down with your racist garbage. I find this behavior very mysterious. Do these people surround themselves with exclusively likeminded thinkers to the point they just assume everyone, even people they don't know well, will agree with them?

NinjaPenguins, we should hang out! I hate chit-chat, too. But I'd probably get on your nerves eventually because I know I'd slowly but surely start picking your brain and trying to make you talk. Thereby bringing an end to a wonderful friendship. 

And in line with your last comment, why do half of my FB friends demand that I thank God/say Amen/recite a bible verse/count my blessings/or relax and know that God is in charge? And why do the other half brag about how wonderful their husbands, wives, children, jobs, bodies, fitness routines, hair, and pets are? First of all, you're probably lying. And second of all, it kinda makes me hate you. 

• Love 5

In keeping with Bastet's great idea for a category "Unjust Shit That Makes Me Hate People," how 'bout a sub-category, "Shit That Makes Me Stabby"?  Gawd I love that word (stabby) that quite a few people on this forum use -- it's so perfect (and funny!).  Besides, I'm a big fan of ID Channel...ya know...Wives With Knives & all. 

Anyhow, I digress...this morning around 7:30 I went to the store just for 2 or 3 things.  I didn't write them down, but at 64 y.o., it's fairly easy to forget one of them from the walk from my car into the store.  I walk in quickly & immediately turn towards the produce section (need bananas) & what do I hear?  Some woman greeter bellowing, "GOOD MORNING!"  Did I even make eye contact with this woman - NO!  Arghhhhh!!!  I just kept walking.  Call me a bitch, but I'm on a mission, I have no idea who you are that's yelling in a way-too-chipper a voice at this hour, and unless I look at you directly eyeball-to-eyeball, do NOT interrupt my train of thought!  I HATE going to the f-ing store to begin with and you just made it worse!  I know it's not the lady's fault & it's part of her job duties as a greeter, but it is really irritating! 

Thanks!  I feel better now.  :) 

Edited by Maizie131
  • Love 2

Daggone it...I loved the A&P.  The coffee machines...I loved walking past them because they smelled so Heavenly.

Grinding coffee was my favorite part of the job, hands down.  I would volunteer to grind another cashier's coffee for their customer if I was standing around. I even cut myself something awful on some sharp thing on the grinder (but not the actual grinder part) and bled like a stuck pig AND it was still the best.

I used to tell customers "Happy Holidays" and never really got too much flak about it.  And if I did, then I was like, "Well, that also encompasses the New Year."  Basically, that was a nice way of saying bite me. And at that point, what can they say?   If I could tell from their groceries what holiday they celebrated, I would be more specific though. 

Chit-chat - the majority of the people who do the chit chatting will roll their eyes later at the drivel that someone else spews.  Cut to the chase and just roll your eyes without participating.

I'm guessing that the person saying such vile things seldom gets a reply as others are too shocked and don't know how to respond.  I'm sure they interpret this silence as approval.  I couldn't resist responding with some comment about how "it is so nice to hear that a younger generation is more open and don't feel the need to hide their relationships".  Or call him (if it is a him) Archie Bunker. Can't think of a female equivalent to Archie at this minute. 

I'm for a secular greeting/parting.  I don't get too worked up if I hear a nonsecular one, but I have been tempted to spit out "Infidel!" just for a reaction.  I wonder if those who opt for the nonsecular one get offended if they just hear "Have a nice day" when they are the customer?

• Love 1

I don't like "Have a blessed day" because it sounds glib and because I figure most people saying it are using it like "Have a nice day," which almost no one actually means. It is just a rote response. I have known a few people who probably actually do mean it, but they don't say it all the time.

What I really hate is "Have a good one." A good what? It's irrational, I know, but it drives me crazy.

• Love 1

What I really hate is "Have a good one." A good what? It's irrational, I know, but it drives me crazy.

Some people I know - like the hub, but we won't name names - can start out saying "have a good --"  and stumble over day, night, weekend, etc. so "have a good one" could sometimes be considered a small victory.  

• Love 2