Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I wish I liked coffee because everywhere I go people offer coffee, but I have to pay for my Coke. If they'd even offer hot tea, that would be OK. I like tea, but no one seems to do tea. Possibly it's too difficult to keep water hot enough to make the tea, and then there is the problem of what to do with the tea bag.

I hate coffee, though. I cannot put in enough sugar and creamer to cover up the bitterness. I love the smell of it brewing, but hate the taste.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 2

I kicked the pop habit after my husband started buying diet pop, thinking it was healthier - it isn't, and it tastes nasty to me -  leaves a weird aftertaste like you've been sucking on pennies.  Anyway - we buy the flavored seltzer water - La Croix was the best brand, with the most flavor, but now there are a number of cheaper alternative, so we buy whichever brand is on sale.  It's just water, bubbles, and a little fruit flavor - no sugar, no artificial sweetener.  

As for COFFEE - I'm hooked.  And I just read ANOTHER article about health benefits to coffee, in the paper today -  Patients with colon cancer had less recurrence of tumors of they drank at least two cups a day of coffee.  Decaf and tea did not show similar results - only the coffee.  Coffee has also been found to have some protective benefits especially for women in a lowered incidence of Alzheimers, MS, and Parkinsons disease.  

A few years ago, some passive-aggressive person "anonymously"  posted in our break room at work, an article about how green tea was so much healthier than coffee.  She posted it next to the office coffee pot.  So, I out-passive-aggressed her (I know, it's a made up word)  by finding articles on the healthy benefits of coffee, and posting those in the break room.  Others joined in.  It was pretty funny, but mostly because she didn't think anyone knew she had started it, and WE ALL KNEW.

I drink 8-10 cups of coffee a day except on Saturday because I'm not home to use the bathroom all day long. lol. I used to drink 12 cups but the dr told me to cut down on the caffeine, so I switched to 'Lite'  ( 50 percent less caffeine)

• Love 1

The Kentucky clerk's actions are so far beyond a peeve.

I agree with the peeve of people with their own unhealthy habits harping on the unhealthy habits of others. I don't drink soda (regular, because of the massive amounts of sugar, or diet because of the massive amounts of chemicals), but I drink alcohol. I'm not going to start lecturing soda drinkers; we're just being unhealthy in different ways. My "favorite" are those who freak the fuck out at marijuana but think nothing of drinking alcohol. I do both, the latter far more often than the former, and I'm well aware the booze is worse for me. Marijuana is (largely) illegal for a host of reasons that have nothing to do with public health, so it's pretty silly to get fired up about it over martinis.

I have been lectured about smoking weed ao many times by people who drink daily. It's a huge pet peeve of mine. My favorite is when they use the term "gateway drug".

• Love 1

I have been drinking coffee since I was 4. I'm Italian - I think my aunt would've put espresso in our bottles if she could get away with it.  Coffee and other caffeinated beverages have no effects on me,. so I can't use it to stay awake.  I love coffee, but I don't need it.  This is good, because I do not have time in my work day for bathroom breaks, so I don't drink any during the school day. On my first cup now, after the first day of school, and it is glorious.  Will it help me write 18 pages(!!) of lesson plans? No, but it'll keep me from killing myself in the process of doing them. Hah.

I just quit soda this summer. I was a Dr. Pepper fiend.  I switched to the flavored LaCroix seltzer because it's delicious. There are other cheaper brands without artificial sweetener in them, but for some reason they all taste salty to me.  Not LaCroix.  Weird. 

My peeve is people who claim they don't want chemicals in their food. Everything is chemicals.  Water is a chemical. (Beware dihydrogen monoxide!).

Edited by janestclair
  • Love 4

I managed to quit my coffee habit when I had surgery. I was on serious pain meds afterwards that kept that awful caffeine headache away. Soon enough I was hooked again though. On coffee, not pain meds!

• Love 2

Coffee is one of the best things ever. I went to the neurologist to try to get some relief from my regular headaches, and he said for me to cut down on coffee. I told him that was like asking me not to breathe. I've had headaches my whole life, and they are less frequent when I'm not working in a pressure cooker. Don't blame coffee! It's my dear friend!

• Love 3

I love coffee  I can't manage without one large mug of coffee a day.  I can manage with just the one, but I have to have that one in the morning.  I just have milk in it, though.  I do like seltzer a lot, that's the only soda I have.  I had Daisani in an airport once and thought it had the worst taste ever!

Edited by roseha

I used to be a coffee addict too, I would start in the morning and drink it all day. I couldn't imagine going a day without it. For some reason I just lost my taste for it. I made a pot one day, fixed my cup and never finished it.

My husband was shocked, he likes doing the grocery shopping and he couldn't believe it when I stopped putting it on the list.

It's weird but there are a few other things I used to love but just lost the taste for them for some reason.

Did your change in taste happen around the time of a major health event?

I was in the hospital for 7 weeks back in 2007.  When I came out I had completely lost my taste for seafood (and I loved shrimp and Maine lobster)*, meat and alcohol.  Oddly, I developed a fondness for beans - black beans, pinto beans, blacked-eye peas, etc....which I have never liked before (taste plus texture). 

*Clarification - Seafood did not taste bad to me, just neutral.  Eating lobster or shrimp was the same as eating a tuna fish sandwich - not good, not bad, just there.

I eat meat now, but very small amounts for the protein.  I eat seafood a few times a year to give it a try.  Every once in a while I'll sniff a beer or drink my brother is having to see if any appeal is back - nope.  The only alcohol I mentally miss is champagne - since I did not drink often, I decided when I did I would only drink something I really enjoyed.  For me, that was champagne in the $50 - 100 range.  I tried pricier bottles, but wasn't that impressed so lived happily in my mid-level price range.

• Love 2

DeLurker, I had a similar experience after childbirth. Lobster, crab, shrimp, lost their appeal. They used to be among my favorite foods, then suddenly I don't care. I could easily live the rest of my life without having shellfish again.

Now, if I could only do the same with chocolate and sweets, I would never struggle with weight .

• Love 2

I wish I liked coffee because everywhere I go people offer coffee, but I have to pay for my Coke. If they'd even offer hot tea, that would be OK. I like tea, but no one seems to do tea. Possibly it's too difficult to keep water hot enough to make the tea, and then there is the problem of what to do with the tea bag.

I hate coffee, though. I cannot put in enough sugar and creamer to cover up the bitterness. I love the smell of it brewing, but hate the taste.

Come sit by me, I love tea! I have black tea, green tea, and a Twining's sampler pack in the cabinet. I even found a mocha scented candle smell because I love that aroma, but when I was putting damn near a cup of sugar in one cup of coffee to cover the taste, I realized it's just not for me.

My pet peeve is that I also don't drink alcohol (again don't like the taste) and it can drive people crazy. I couldn't possibly care less that someone does, so why do others care so much if I don't.

• Love 2

Come sit by me, I love tea! I have black tea, green tea, and a Twining's sampler pack in the cabinet. I even found a mocha scented candle smell because I love that aroma, but when I was putting damn near a cup of sugar in one cup of coffee to cover the taste, I realized it's just not for me.

My pet peeve is that I also don't drink alcohol (again don't like the taste) and it can drive people crazy. I couldn't possibly care less that someone does, so why do others care so much if I don't.

My husband is a big tea drinker. I like Chai tea but that's about it. I love coffee. I drink it black (a habit I developed with my first pregnancy and I had gestational diabetes). With this pregnancy I haven't touched a drop of caffeine which has been surprisingly easy. Though, I'm flat out exhausted by sun down.

Back when I was able to drink it would be nothing for me to drink a six pack of beer at night on the weekends or family get togethers. I live in Beer City, USA and love my craft beer. I'm a responsible beer drinker. My mom gives me such a hard time about my beer consumption and how I'm an "Alkie" while she guzzles wine by the bottle full. Excuse me, but your glass of wine has about double the alcohol content of my bottle of beer- thank you very much.

• Love 1

Thank you. I don't drink because I'm on several medications that forbid it, plus I'm a depressive and alcoholism runs in my family, so alcohol in general isn't a good idea. People lose their damn minds over the fact that I don't drink. I really do not understand it. I don't eat meat but I don't tell meat eaters to stop eating meat; hell, I don't even question their choice because IT'S THEIR CHOICE. Mind your own damn business, people!

• Love 8

Popples, on 03 Sept 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

Thank you. I don't drink because I'm on several medications that forbid it, plus I'm a depressive and alcoholism runs in my family, so alcohol in general isn't a good idea. People lose their damn minds over the fact that I don't drink. I really do not understand it. I don't eat meat but I don't tell meat eaters to stop eating meat; hell, I don't even question their choice because IT'S THEIR CHOICE. Mind your own damn business, people!

People have reacted surprisingly oddly to my not drinking - although maybe unexpected is a better word, since others have similar experience. A lot of people almost demand an explanation  - like it makes it ok if you are allergic, in AA or on medication.

Maybe it makes them self-conscious about their drinking?  Amount of consumption or reason for?

• Love 1

You're my people. I hate the taste of alcohol. I don't drink alcohol unless it's something flavored with citrus because that covers up the alcohol taste. And then what is the point of the alcohol except for how it makes you feel, and that seems like the road to alcoholism for me. I occasionally have a strawberry daiquiri at home but most times I talk myself out of it because I'm not sure why I want it, if it's for the taste or the buzz. My biological paternal grandmother was an alcoholic. No one in the rest of the family (not her side because we really do not know them) drank alcohol. I have a hard time quitting things and I'm afraid of becoming addicted, so I figure it's easier not to start. Hating the taste helps.

Maybe it makes them self-conscious about their drinking?  Amount of consumption or reason for?

That could be it for some.  And for others it could be they've been on the receiving end of condemnation from people who think drinking alcohol is some sort of moral failing.  (Because just as some people who drink get all up in business of those who don't, some people who don't drink - especially among those who used to - do the same with those who do.)  It's all a ridiculous waste of energy. 

• Love 6

For a couple of years, I had a severe pain issue with my neck.   Some things helped, some didn't.   Painkillers have side effects for me.  Taking a muscle relaxer at night often helped, but doctors are reluctant to prescribe, and I know they can be abused and habit-forming.  I had a month's worth, they lasted me a YEAR, and the doctor didn't want to refill it.  I don't get it -  if 30 pills lasted me a year, it's clear I wasn't getting hooked. 

I found that a drink gave me the same result.   One drink, in the evening, when I had neck and shoulder pain, made the muscles relax enough that the pain would go away.   Relaxation exercises and heat also helped, but sometimes a drink was what it took.   

I probably drink the equivalent of a half bottle of wine, or two cocktails, weekly.   Sometimes less, rarely more than that.  If I didn't have asthma, I might try smoking a joint.  We all do what works.  

• Love 2

I don't touch alcohol and people just don't get it. I'm always asked if I want a drink, if I say no they ask why I don't want one, if I say I don't drink they seem shocked.

I haven't had a drop of alcohol since 12/29/95, I dont really consider myself an alcoholic but there's a major, major history of alcoholism in my family and I knew if I didn't stop when I did I would head down that same bad path, I refused to put my kids through the crap I went through so I quit.

I'm not ashamed of any of that I just don't think I should have to explain it every time I turn down a drink. I don't care or judge when people drink, its their choice, just as its my choice to not drink.

These drinkers are the same ones who lecture me and treat me like a criminal when they learn that I smoke weed.

Edit: DeLurker there was no medical reason for losing my taste for coffee, I just stopped looking it for some strange reason.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 2

I was a 3 can a day soda drinker for decades and quit cold turkey when I got an ulcer.

It was surprisingly easy, excruciating pain is quite the motivator, and I don't even miss it.

I do still yearn for Ibuprofen with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns however.........

• Love 1

<--- My profile image is an empty sangria glass. I love sangria. Also cider and a few other adult beverages. When I go out, sometimes I order a glass of wine and sometimes not, and have never been cross-examined by anyone when I've opted to stick with water.

When I hear other people asked if they want a drink and they say "no, thanks" I don't hear an interrogation, although maybe an offer of pop or iced tea instead of alcohol. However, when the response is "I don't drink", I have heard questions. My guess is that "I don't drink" sounds self-righteous and judgmental to those who do drink and provokes a little hostility where "no, thanks" doesn't. Clearly, YMMV.

My own reaction to "I don't drink" is "Really? How do you not die of dehydration?" but I say it in my head.

• Love 7

What a find you all are!

I'm going through a hard time (a breakup...at 36! Pet peeve: when people drop a bomb like that and don't tell me the hard time) and this thread has been funny, enlightening, and best yet- just a huge escape from reality. Thank you all.

I found it last night and have read maybe 50% so my sincere apologies if mine has been mentioned (by George-I'm doing my own pet peeve!)

I cannot stand it when someone goes "Have you seen the video of (cat in bathtub, crazy person on Americas Got Talent, toddler in hilarity, etc". And see, my problem I've learned is I say (truthfully) "no". "Oh! Hang on...you must watch it!"

And they whip out their phone and some of these damn things will hit the 6 minute mark. It's like I'm looking at this video feeling I need to make the appropriate reactions. "Wowzeree, that guy really can break dance!" When I all want to do is enjoy my wine.

It's akin to being younger and your friend going "oh my gosh, you have to listen to this song. Every word is like my relationship with Ryan". So I'm sitting in a room, unsure of what to stare at while 10000 Maniacs or similar is playing. Being a good friend, at the end of the five minutes you say "oh yes, especially that part when she talked about soul mates". When all I wanted to do was ask if her mom had againbought that French onion dip that was so awesome.

To sum up: pet peeve of awkwards "at this moment, you must watch, listen, let me serenade you" type fuckery.

• Love 11

Maharincess: I don't touch alcohol and people just don't get it. I'm always asked if I want a drink, if I say no they ask why I don't want one, if I say I don't drink they seem shocked.

I am a drinker and I really don't understand why anyone does this.  Although I know that many do.  What do they care if somebody else wants to drink or not?  Unless the non-drinker is there shaking a disapproving finger - let everyone enjoy themselves in the way they find enjoyable. You have a toke and I have a drink. Done.

Edited by ratgirlagogo

What a find you all are!

I'm going through a hard time (a breakup...at 36! Pet peeve: when people drop a bomb like that and don't tell me the hard time) and this thread has been funny, enlightening, and best yet- just a huge escape from reality. Thank you all.

I found it last night and have read maybe 50% so my sincere apologies if mine has been mentioned (by George-I'm doing my own pet peeve!)

I cannot stand it when someone goes "Have you seen the video of (cat in bathtub, crazy person on Americas Got Talent, toddler in hilarity, etc". And see, my problem I've learned is I say (truthfully) "no". "Oh! Hang on...you must watch it!"

And they whip out their phone and some of these damn things will hit the 6 minute mark. It's like I'm looking at this video feeling I need to make the appropriate reactions. "Wowzeree, that guy really can break dance!" When I all want to do is enjoy my wine.

It's akin to being younger and your friend going "oh my gosh, you have to listen to this song. Every word is like my relationship with Ryan". So I'm sitting in a room, unsure of what to stare at while 10000 Maniacs or similar is playing. Being a good friend, at the end of the five minutes you say "oh yes, especially that part when she talked about soul mates". When all I wanted to do was ask if her mom had againbought that French onion dip that was so awesome.

To sum up: pet peeve of awkwards "at this moment, you must watch, listen, let me serenade you" type fuckery.

My son does that with the videos. It drives me crazy at times, I think he knows that but also knows that I'm mom so I'll watch them.

As far as alcohol, when I'm offered a drink I'll just say no thanks but if they ask why I don't want one I'll just say I don't drink and order my Dt. Pepper. Most people know me and don't push it.

I also love being given permission to not drink "oh that's OK, you can still have fun".

Edited by Maharincess

When I'm out w/friends and/or relatives at a restaurant, when the waitress goes to take my drink order, I love to freak out the people I'm with and say, "Oh, I don't drink anymore."  Everyone looks at me with SHOCK (cuz they KNOW me), and then I say, "I don't drink any LESS, either!"  ...then I order my usual Bacardi & Diet.  I stole that line from "While You Were Sleeping" and it's a good one, dontcha think?  haha! 

• Love 3

Here are 2 I've been holding on to and need to spew. Even though I've spewed them before.

1. Parking. If you can't get your car between the lines in a parking lot, your license should be revoked or you should have to park in the furthest possible spot from where you're going because you're an asshole. There is no reason to hog 2 spaces, especially in a packed lot. A few years ago, a crazy woman who works in the same organization parked her car on an angle, putting her rear tire well over the line into the next space. There aren't enough spaces to go around as it is, and here she's effectively taking two. I squeezed my car in and because of her inability to park, blocked her driver's side door. She was waiting for me when I left work, screaming at me about it. She had , of course, gone in through the passenger door as many of us have had to do, I'm sure. She kept screaming "Did you do that on purpose? Did you do that on purpose?!" When I aksed "did you take 2 spaces on purpose?" she just kept screaming. And then she puled out her phone and said "I'm taking a picture!" "Good. Make sure you get your rear tire 2 feet over the white line." Later I found out she is well known for being crazy. A few days later, I also found out she had punctured my rear tire.

2. The perceived superiority of "darkness" in TV and film and the pretentiousness it inspires. I scan Hollywood Reporter every day and the story about somebodyorother Sutter who had something to do with Sons of Anarchy. For days the headline read "I'm a dark motherfucker." Honey, if you have to tell everyone how you're "dark", you really aren't. You are, however, a poser.

• Love 5

Used to work with a guy who couldn't park between the lines if his life depended on it.  He was also a variable speed driver - one of those who alternate between slowing down and speeding up for no apparent reason.  I eventually just started taking pictures of his parking efforts and would circulate them to our little network of friendly coworkers, him included. 

Of course, he wasn't crazy...if that was the case, I'd probably anonymously print it and post it in the break room.

I have friends/relatives who park their cars in my driveway like a police officer arriving to an armed robbery in process. Other than the time I backed into one of them trying to get my car out, it's not so much annoying as it is another reason to keep an eye on them to figure out what the hell is wrong with them.

And I, for one, think wine and well made beers are one of life's great pleasures. I could try two different wines a week from now to the end of my life without ever having the same one twice, and I would be sad that there were so many that I never got a chance to try, to match up with food, and to talk about with the people sharing it with me. 

I never, EVER, question my friends who stopped drinking for health reasons. I choose to drink soda rather than a casual beer with them after golf just in case they might feel self conscious about it.  But I do think that if I struck up a relationship with somebody who didn't drink because he or she didn't like the taste of wine, I would be a little sad that I couldn't share the joy I get from it with that person.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 1

I had a solution for this - it works for me, because I am (ahem)  OLD. 

I look at the cell phone screen, squint, move it closer, pull my glasses down to look over them, put the glasses back, and say "that looks AMAZING!  could you email it to me so I can watch it on a bigger screen later?"  

They never do.

• Love 3

I have too many pet peeves to list, so I'll share my pet peeve related to forums: People who ask "What is___?" about an acronym or text term after someone posts. (It has never happened to me, but I've seen it a number of times.) It doesn't wind me up all that much, but I figure -- you're accessing the site from a mobile device or computer. Let your fingers do the walking, open a new tab, and google it instead of exercising what seems to be your 'stop the textspeak' campaign. I've had to google some acronyms -- no biggie; I learned something.

• Love 3

And all this reminds me of another pet peeve-  people thinking that everyone, especially CHILDREN, need constant electronic stimulation to keep their behavior in check.   Even toddlers in strollers, when they get restless, the mom gives them her PHONE to play a game on.  Yeah, Ok, if you're waiting an hour at the clinic or something. But it's like if the kids have to sit for even 2 minutes, they need a "screen"  to look at.  I see 3 year olds, when they get bored, reach into mom's purse and grab her phone to PLAY with. 

At a recent family gathering, I was having a discussion with two little girls  I had not seen for a few months.   They were very animated, telling me all about the differences between first grade and preschool.  Nap time, crayon vs. markers, recess, desks vs. rugs.  They were doing all the talking, and I was their captive audience.   UNTIL - another aunt decided to whip out her I-Pad and put on a game for them to play, where you "feed"  animals.  The girls heard the music, stopped in their tracks as though hypnotized.  (yeah, I'm  exaggerating a bit) and they ran over there to play the game.   And the talking stopped. 

WHY?   these kids have electronic devices at home.  family gatherings are for chatting, playing, with people you don't see every day.   Kids need face-to-face interactions more than they need to click a screen to feed a pretend pet.  if the girls were bored, pouty, cranky, and parents still wanted to stay a bit longer - OK, give them something to do.  But when they are playing and talking? Why interrupt that? 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 7

I have too many pet peeves to list, so I'll share my pet peeve related to forums: People who ask "What is___?" about an acronym or text term after someone posts. (It has never happened to me, but I've seen it a number of times.) It doesn't wind me up all that much, but I figure -- you're accessing the site from a mobile device or computer. Let your fingers do the walking, open a new tab, and google it instead of exercising what seems to be your 'stop the textspeak' campaign. I've had to google some acronyms -- no biggie; I learned something.

I'm probably one of the people who has asked you what your acronym means. In my opinion if the person wrote it, they should explain what it means.

Acronyms are one of my pet peeves. Why not just spell the whole word??

• Love 1

I have a new pet peeve.

My son was invited to a friend's fourth birthday party. I RSVP'ed (since he is not allowed to use the phone on his own) and asked the mother what her daughter likes so we would have some idea what to get as a gift. She said, "Oh, she doesn't need anything." Does that mean don't bring a gift and is she telling everyone that? I don't want my son to be the only one not to bring a gift or the only one to bring a gift. It is a birthday party for a 4-year-old. She might expect gifts, and kids like to give gifts -- at least I hope they do. My plan was to let my son help pick out a not-too-expensive or big gift. I want him to learn to do that. We have thought of getting a small gift and seeing if others bring a gift, but if we don't give it to her, then my son will want to know why, and he will ask right then.

Is this the new thing for kids?

I've had to Google or ask about an initialism a few times; I can generally figure them out from the context, but some have had me stumped (a prime example being tl;dr -- I could have sat here until I died and never come up "too long; didn't read").  Then there's the separate issue that I find the fact the very concept of a few paragraphs being too much to read sad, but I'll stick with abbreviating.

I think it has gotten out of hand, with all the initialisms and portmanteaus; reading some posts feels like deciphering code.  Even when I know what all the abbreviations mean, I find a post littered with them annoying to read.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

"Because the artist is local" is not a reason I must love a novel, painting or other work of art.  Yes, I appreciate beyond words that local artists are featured and supported and not all art is flown in from New York, but that doesn't mean I need to love someone's novels  or suddenly decide I like paintings of someone's love interest. (And local critics, it's OK to point out weaknesses or issues with a local artist's work. Really, it is. Angry mobs will not find you and chase you across the state lines with burning pitchforks). I don't think supporting local artists means refusing to critique the work.

I had a solution for this - it works for me, because I am (ahem)  OLD.
I look at the cell phone screen, squint, move it closer, pull my glasses down to look over them, put the glasses back, and say "that looks AMAZING!  could you email it to me so I can watch it on a bigger screen later?" 
They never do.

This is awesome. I am so using this the next time someone ambushes me with a video that I must see right that minute. No, I actually could have died peacefully without seeing that, thanks.

Parking. If you can't get your car between the lines in a parking lot, your license should be revoked or you should have to park in the furthest possible spot from where you're going because you're an asshole. There is no reason to hog 2 spaces, especially in a packed lot. A few years ago, a crazy woman who works in the same organization parked her car on an angle, putting her rear tire well over the line into the next space. There aren't enough spaces to go around as it is, and here she's effectively taking two. I squeezed my car in and because of her inability to park, blocked her driver's side door. She was waiting for me when I left work, screaming at me about it. She had , of course, gone in through the passenger door as many of us have had to do, I'm sure. She kept screaming "Did you do that on purpose? Did you do that on purpose?!" When I aksed "did you take 2 spaces on purpose?" she just kept screaming. And then she puled out her phone and said "I'm taking a picture!" "Good. Make sure you get your rear tire 2 feet over the white line." Later I found out she is well known for being crazy. A few days later, I also found out she had punctured my rear tire.

Oh, my god. Were you able to get her to pay for your tire? What a shrew. I'm with you - park over a line and h*ll yes, you deserve to get parked in or worse. I no longer deliberately squeeze into spots when people do this (because, shrews and crazy people and flat tires and keys), but it is the one time in life I allow myself to slap a passive-aggressive sticky note on someone's windshield. And, in the interest of full disclosure, I only started this because I once was careless/exhausted whatever and swung my car into a spot without realizing that I was over the line. I had a lovely note waiting for me, and no, I couldn't really deny that I had, in fact, parked like an arse. Just payin' it forward.

Edited by potatoradio
  • Love 1

Raw milk is awesome!  I just wish it would become legal in my state (I have to drove all the way to ST. George Utah if I want any).   My pet peeve is how local politicians always manage to prevent it from becoming legal (claiming it's dangerous) yet they have no problem raising my taxes!!

This might belong in the family thread but I'm pet peeving at myself. I need to write my sister a letter. She did some things while visiting this summer that were so unacceptable I'm willing to risk our limited relationship to address them. I wouldn't care as much if it were me but my children were hurt. I have written it 100 times in my head but I'm procrastinating because I know what I'm doing once I send it. I only have the one sibling.

It depends on what your sister did and if it's worth sending the letter.  If she's dangerous and being in contact with her is destructive, then you could take the risk (be aware relatives may take her side and turn on you).  If it's just peevish things, then it's better to write the letter to yourself then shred it.

• Love 1

I have a new pet peeve.

My son was invited to a friend's fourth birthday party. I RSVP'ed (since he is not allowed to use the phone on his own) and asked the mother what her daughter likes so we would have some idea what to get as a gift. She said, "Oh, she doesn't need anything." Does that mean don't bring a gift and is she telling everyone that? I don't want my son to be the only one not to bring a gift or the only one to bring a gift. It is a birthday party for a 4-year-old. She might expect gifts, and kids like to give gifts -- at least I hope they do. My plan was to let my son help pick out a not-too-expensive or big gift. I want him to learn to do that. We have thought of getting a small gift and seeing if others bring a gift, but if we don't give it to her, then my son will want to know why, and he will ask right then.

Is this the new thing for kids?

I would still bring a gift. I try not to accept too many invitations to parties of kids my kids aren't especially close with. It seems like a birthday invite comes twice every month and that just gets to be tiresome for me. If it's a kid we aren't too sure what to get I usually try and go character neutral on the gift and go with bubbles, books, or arts and crafts type things.

What a find you all are!

*major snipping*

@KnoxForPres:  Ain't it grand to be here?  You've found your people.  Vent away and feel that pent up stress just slough off ya.  I love this place ;>)  Heh heh...your last comment made me burst out laughing. Thanks so much--I love to laugh!

• Love 1

@KnoxForPres: Ain't it grand to be here? You've found your people. Vent away and feel that pent up stress just slough off ya. I love this place ;>) Heh heh...your last comment made me burst out laughing. Thanks so much--I love to laugh!

Haha, yes, it is. I try to stay so positive about the unforeseen ups and downs of life, but having a place to vent annoyances is like a needed, negative release.

I hate when asshats feel the need to express their self-perceived coolness on you. Like if I randomly throw out Id give an arm for a meximelt from Taco Bell and some blowhard feels the need to say "oh, really? See, I like authentic Mexican, like Taco Roc on 5th street is really the only acceptable place".

I mean, come on. Everything a person says shouldn't be an opportunity to one up /be more refined.

• Love 3

I was on my way home this afternoon and was in the right lane of a double left-turn lane. The light turned green for the large pack of us turning left so we began driving. I was back several cars. In the next lane to my right (which was sitting and waiting to drive straight upon the light change), this entitled little See-You-Next-Tuesday in a new Range Rover suddenly turns into my lane because ohmigod, she just had to turn left, you guys! I slammed on the brakes hard enough that my purse in the passenger seat flew into the floor and the contents went everywhere because I was actually moving at a good clip. Of course, Fuckwit McShitforbrains made the light, and I didn't. That bothered me a lot less than very nearly T-boning a car that costs a lot more than I make in a year.

The cop on the other side of the intersection did nothing.

Unrelated, thanks to y'all, I had to have Diet Coke today (after two giant cups of coffee). I go very long stretches without Diet Coke, but you planted the seed. That stuff could still has actual cocaine in it; it's so damn good.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2

If you want to provide more details and maybe get some input on how to view the matter in a less drastic way (if possible), that might help. Understandably, sometimes we just aren't comfortable exposing so much about ourselves in even an anonymous forum. Sorry that things happened that hurt your children.

Thank you! I may summarize & run it by you helpful folks. I'm taking a mental break from it all at the moment because my sister just sent me a long, blithering e-mail acting like nothing was wrong & wanting my help. Aarrgghh!

A new pet peeve verging on pure jealously. I know it but right now I'm ignoring that part. Jealously smealously! My psychopathic, cruel, ex-bf, who came close to breaking my brain, got married last year & they had a baby. I haven't paid much attention, but went cyber-stalking today for the first time in a long time. Wifey-poo, who is a young 20-something (as in immature & naive, even for one in her 20s), looks like she never had a child. Pictures galore in a bikini at less than 2 months postpartum. I know it's age, genetics & intense exercise. The ex is obsessive about working out. Still... Son of a bitch! It's so annoying. I want to shove donuts & cake down her pie-hole. And good grief she managed to post multiple pictures of herself in various bikinis, but the one shot of her holding the baby while she had a bikini on the baby was in a saggy diaper. Not a cute cloth one with a cover that looks more like a bottom. Nope just a plastic, saggy diaper. I felt sorry for the tiny thing. However, if I'm being honest & maybe a bit bitchy, the baby is butt ugly. I usually think all babies are cute, even ones that aren't necessarily pretty I find ugly-cute. This one was homily. I shouldn't enjoy that. I feel a little guilty. Not so much that I'm not laughing like a loon right now though.

No, no. Sorry it that was confusing. I didn't think the baby needed a bikini. I thought it needed a t-shirt or its own little swimsuit or something. Even a fresh diaper would've been an improvement. Mom was decked out in her bikini with hair & make-up & baby had nothing but a soggy diaper.

Slow drivers in urban/downtown areas make me crazy...I know it's a typical peeve to rant about other drivers, but there's been a huge resurgence in people moving to my city in the past 3-5 years, and this has meant twice as much traffic with twice as many boobs out there on our roads who really don't know the meaning of "move with the flow of traffic."

Yes, I have been guilty of riding people's asses on the road, especially if they're going slow in the left lane and/or going 5-10 miles under the speed limit. I feel like that's one's right when someone is stalling the flow of city traffic in such an inconsiderate manner.

Speed up or get the fuck over or travel back roads---morons like those are the ones who cause traffic pile-up's at long lights since they usually leave 2-3 car lengths between them and the next cars in traffic.

• Love 3
Oh, my god. Were you able to get her to pay for your tire?
Thanks, potatoradio. I couldn't prove she did it and afterward several people told me she was batshit crazy, so I let it go rather than get punctured myself. Fortunately, we worked far apart and I only saw her once more before she left the place.

ramble -  not all babies are cute to anyone not their parents.  I generally like kids, but for some reason I just really did not like my cousin's son when he was a baby/kid/snotty teen.  I felt horrible about it when he was young, because I did not know why...just didn't.   So I wouldn't waste too much time on feeling bad because the baby falls out of the normal Awww spectrum.

From your description of the ex, I'm betting that the young wife is under a lot of pressure to bounce right back to pre-baby shape and weight.  My own ex (who matches your's for pathologies) always had me on edge about my looks.  He wanted me to look good so other people envied him (because it was all about him), but not actually attract any male attention (because he was psychotically worried about me cheating - a totally unfounded belief).  Just having a baby was no excuse for making him look bad!

I'm not saying to feel sorry for her, I'm saying that you need to remember that this guy is all about outward appearances.  And he'll do/say anything to get that no matter that it has no substance.  He forces the people and world around him to conform to his desire - and you know the toll it took on you.  And that it wasn't and isn't healthy for anyone. 

You've done the hard part of physically getting him out of your life, but the getting him out of your head is important too.  It's a hard scab to ignore, but you need to keep trying.  We all have those days where we backslide, so don't beat yourself up for doing that.  Just keep moving forward - for me, sometimes it felt like two steps forward, one step back - but I was moving in the right direction.  Not as fast as I wanted to, but overall.

ETA:  More amateur/immature psychology:  Is it possible this thing with your sister frustrates you so much and your uncertainty as to how you want to handle it, that you went looking for a legitimate reason for your emotions and/or a distraction?  There's lots of reason to be upset with about him, so it gives that negativity a concrete target?

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2

-Humble bragging

-Starting a sentence with "I'm not a racist/sexist/homophobe, but." Most of the time, that sentence is going to end badly, so just don't finish it.

-Dunkin' Donuts drive-thru attendant, feel free to finish your cell phone call before you wait on me. Seriously. I'd rather wait the extra moment instead of having my goods thrust at me while you hector the person on the other end about getting a ride home.

-Unexpected nuts or raisins in a pastry. Man, what a letdown.

• Love 2