Type keyword(s) to search

The Suggestion Box: How to Make This Show Suck Less

Wings
  • Start Topic

I mentioned this in the episode thread and will restate it here. 

I like dressing in clothes on the first night that reflect the women as they are in real life would be a nifty change if only for one season to give it a try.  I appreciatex Tara coming in cowboy boots, flannel shirt and cut off jean shorts.  I am sorry she changed clothes. 

I am not saying a nurse has to dress in scrubs but that would not be a bad idea.  It tells the bach this girl can move anywhere because medical jobs easy to find. 

Maybe some girls would come in jeans to show they are casual.  A dancer could wear dance clothes (leotard, tights, leg warmers). 

Some would go nuts with this of course but they do anyway.  The cadaver tissue sales woman did and look what happened. 

I will give kudos to them this year for staying in the US.  I like that.  I have never been fond of nor dazzled by the foreign cities we see.  The Travel Chanel does a better job and available 24 hours a day.  Strained dinner conversation is no different in Paris, nor are death defying feats of athleticism better in the Alps.  

• Love 3

I would do away with the apparent rule that if someone wants to "steal away" the lead while they're in the middle of a conversation with someone else, the lead must acquiesce to being "stolen away". I would love to see the lead say "I'd actually like to spend some more time talking to X. I'll come find you later."

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 9

I love this idea. I've long thought they spoiled real life for the participants with extreme and impractical dating scenarios. Instead of death-defying jumps from buildings/bridges or helicopter rides over mountain ranges, they should have real world challenges like stretching a budget: Shop together for a homecooked meal with $10 and fresh ingredients and you have to cook it together.

If you put them through the ringer, they might find who is better suited for real life situations (screaming kids in Target, burned dinner backup, overflowing toilets, scheduling the cable guy, whatever) and who you really want to spend your life with once the sponsored dates are long gone.

• Love 7

I'd like a season with people no younger than 26 and who actually have some desire to marry (since a proposal is the alleged endgame--though I prefer a more realistic vow to continue seeing each other "in the real world" and see how it goes before proposing, but that doesn't make for exciting reality tv, ha).

Don't have 95% of the women fit some long hair, teeny size, over-made up version of each other that we can barely tell them apart for weeks. It was a nice change to have Chris mingle with 15 women, instead of overwhelmed with 30 in one go...how about the next installment having no more than 20 total and showing more of their interactions and backstories, to alleviate some confusion and up the involvement of viewers from the start.

Perhaps leave it up to the B/ette how many roses to give out at the first ceremony, shield the tray so no one can tell ahead if everyone gets a rose or not. Mystery! All but the most certifiable would be kept anyway because of the fear of potentially booting The One after such a brief stint. And the first impression rose, meh.

Would be nice to see more truth in editing. It's a foregone conclusion the "obvious" forerunner is not the actual F1 anyway, let's see more of the real stuff between everyone and don't warp people into someone they're not (some deleted scenes and interviews can give such a different perspective of people from how they're edited for the show).

• Love 4

I got a lot of problems with these people.   First,  unless you're balding, no spare hair.   Second, you can only have 5 makeup items.   That's it.   Third, no Vegas hooker attire,   That would take care of the boring pageant aspect.   Make these ladies depend more on their personalities (or lack of) than hiding behind a wall of Remy hair and spackle.   Bleach is banned.   Giant implants are banned.  False eyelashes are banned.    Boob and midriff baring attire are banned.

No more Hollywood mansion in the hills.  The season should be filmed where the lead lives.   Other than the fun Canadian train ride in the Jillian session,   all the location dates are boring.    No more half assed country flavor of the month bands.   No more aspiring models and actors. 

Oh,  and I'd like to see the age range skew to 25% 5 years less than the Bach, 25% 5 years more, and 50 percent in the middle.   That way, the youngest chick pursuing a 33 yo would be 28, and there would be some 38 yos in the mix.    Course, the eggs could be an issue, but we'll get some olds with eggs frozen as a backup plan.    I am sorry you chicks just out of college, but you are boring TV.   No offense, as I was incredibly boring at that age, too.     

But keep plying them with booze, please.   Drinking is the only way to get through this nonsense.

• Love 2

Wow, I saw the title and came here to post I wouldn't watch TB if it did not suck, but I love what everyone has to say. I agree with everyone's ideas. Except bosawk's vote for keeping hooker attire. You just can't please everyone. LOL!

Shop together for a homecooked meal with $10 and fresh ingredients and you have to cook it together.

Remember when Emily did this? I forgot who the guy was, but I remember him being extremely uncomfortable in the kitchen.

I love this idea. I've long thought they spoiled real life for the participants with extreme and impractical dating scenarios. Instead of death-defying jumps from buildings/bridges or helicopter rides over mountain ranges, they should have real world challenges like stretching a budget: Shop together for a homecooked meal with $10 and fresh ingredients and you have to cook it together.

If you put them through the ringer, they might find who is better suited for real life situations (screaming kids in Target, burned dinner backup, overflowing toilets, scheduling the cable guy, whatever) and who you really want to spend your life with once the sponsored dates are long gone.

I'd like a season with people no younger than 26 and who actually have some desire to marry (since a proposal is the alleged endgame--though I prefer a more realistic vow to continue seeing each other "in the real world" and see how it goes before proposing, but that doesn't make for exciting reality tv, ha).

Don't have 95% of the women fit some long hair, teeny size, over-made up version of each other that we can barely tell them apart for weeks. It was a nice change to have Chris mingle with 15 women, instead of overwhelmed with 30 in one go...how about the next installment having no more than 20 total and showing more of their interactions and backstories, to alleviate some confusion and up the involvement of viewers from the start.

Perhaps leave it up to the B/ette how many roses to give out at the first ceremony, shield the tray so no one can tell ahead if everyone gets a rose or not. Mystery! All but the most certifiable would be kept anyway because of the fear of potentially booting The One after such a brief stint. And the first impression rose, meh.

Would be nice to see more truth in editing. It's a foregone conclusion the "obvious" forerunner is not the actual F1 anyway, let's see more of the real stuff between everyone and don't warp people into someone they're not (some deleted scenes and interviews can give such a different perspective of people from how they're edited for the show).

I got a lot of problems with these people.   First,  unless you're balding, no spare hair.   Second, you can only have 5 makeup items.   That's it.   Third, no Vegas hooker attire,   That would take care of the boring pageant aspect.   Make these ladies depend more on their personalities (or lack of) than hiding behind a wall of Remy hair and spackle.   Bleach is banned.   Giant implants are banned.  False eyelashes are banned.    Boob and midriff baring attire are banned.

No more Hollywood mansion in the hills.  The season should be filmed where the lead lives.   Other than the fun Canadian train ride in the Jillian session,   all the location dates are boring.    No more half assed country flavor of the month bands.   No more aspiring models and actors. 

Oh,  and I'd like to see the age range skew to 25% 5 years less than the Bach, 25% 5 years more, and 50 percent in the middle.   That way, the youngest chick pursuing a 33 yo would be 28, and there would be some 38 yos in the mix.    Course, the eggs could be an issue, but we'll get some olds with eggs frozen as a backup plan.    I am sorry you chicks just out of college, but you are boring TV.   No offense, as I was incredibly boring at that age, too.     

But keep plying them with booze, please.   Drinking is the only way to get through this nonsense.

YES, YES, YES!  I love all of these ideas!  We need to be in charge.  Can a message board apply for a producer position?

Thanks for starting this thread.  We didn't really have one for "suggestions for improvement, so I tweaked the title and we'll let it stand.

Love the new title.  Perfect!

• Love 1

Also, they should do dirty chores to win the Bach/Ette's affection.   Like all these current girls need to shovel pig poop and pick tomatoes.   Make them really work for their booze and halfassed harlequin romance dates.   Give them something to really cry about, damnit. 

• Love 5

Early in Farmer Chris's season, Jimmy Kimmel came along on one of the dates and kind of made fun of lots of The Bachelor clichés. It was funny in a way, but one wise Previously Poster (can't remember which one of you) said that when the show starts to mock itself it has sort of jumped the shark. I agree. I want the show to get back to its corn ball roots of fairy tell dates in ball gowns and castle settings and moonlight dates in Venice. I want the leads to be extremely good looking so we can believe everybody wants them. I want them to at least pretend to be caught up in the romance, and leave the snarking to us.

• Love 5

Yes, JudyObscure, the lead has to be extremely good looking.   No more homely asses like Blob,  plain weenies like Mesnick,   short ass creepy guts like Jake, and no bland, boring stiffs like Chris.    They need to get a guy who looks like Daniel Di Tomosso and the guy who does the Lenscrafters commercial.     Then we can suspend disbelief and believe this shit is real.     Get some women who aren't idiots with pounds of hair and makeup and shitty evening wear.

No more shitty cheap dates.   No more home towns like Farmlington.  that was just depressing as all hell.

And for Christ sake, no more Jimmy Kimmel.   let us do the snarking, I assure  you we are expert professionals.  

• Love 5

I was just having this conversation with my sister.  I saw a casting notice somewhere for The Bachelor in either The Hollywood Reporter or on a casting site or at a modeling agency.  Mike Fleiss doesn't want it these relationships to work out (just my opinion).  He wants pretty and drama queens and meanies.  Sigh.

Yes, JudyObscure, the lead has to be extremely good looking.   No more homely asses like Blob,  plain weenies like Mesnick,   short ass creepy guts like Jake, and no bland, boring stiffs like Chris.    They need to get a guy who looks like Daniel Di Tomosso

Off to Google

Hmm, he would do quite nicely!

• Love 1

Aren't all the Bachelors good looking?  I'm not into guys, but they seem to me like the type that many (most?) women would go for.

So do people want MORE cheap dates or FEWER?  Seems like there are different opinions.  I'd prefer more cheap dates.  Focus on the people (as boring as they may be) and not on the scenery or spectacular locations.  Group dates are pretty gimmicky and boring and you don't see the leads interact with anyone much, but I guess they are a way of getting a lot of contestants on screen.  I'd prefer a smaller cast (maybe 10 women) and more 1-on-1s.

• Love 1

So do people want MORE cheap dates or FEWER? Seems like there are different opinions. I'd prefer more cheap dates. Focus on the people (as boring as they may be) and not on the scenery or spectacular locations.

You lost me at "for as boring as they may be." The lead and dates have to have personality to make up for cheap dates. For as much as I complained about the dates in which they rapelled off buildings as a metaphor for "falling in love" and the like, when the alternative was let's watch Chris and Becca sit in a loft, I was hoping someone would strap some gear on them and throw them off the roof when they were watching the sunset from it. Then by the time they had a date of let's sit around this hotel room, I was about to jump off my own roof! This season the dates were definitely TOO cheap. Even when they spent money on planes and helicopters, it was to go to the middle of a desert with nothing around and sit on a bed. Granted, Kelsey and Ashley brought the excitement to that one. But these dates were just terrible this season! There wasn't a single one that wowed--even Bali had a junky boat.

• Love 1

The budget ratchet only turns one way.  Soon they will be sitting in an empty conference room playing gin rummy.

It's interesting to note that something - probably fear of feminist dogma - prevents the Bachelor (the show) and the Bachelor (the person) from asking the women to prepare a meal or decorate a room, choosing furniture and accessories perhaps supplied by a sponsor.  It's ironic because many (most?) women a) have grown up developing skills in one or both areas, b) such abilities are, obviously, important in domestic life, and c) it might just give one or more girls who aren't sexy siren front-runners a chance to improve their standing.  Practical benefits aside, it's also a chance to see if tastes (the culinary and the aesthetic kind) match up.  It would certainly take them miles beyond the goofy 'do you like me cos I like you' babble that virtual strangers are reduced to.

There is no doubt that the Bachelorette (show and person) wouldn't hesitate to ask the males to get in the kitchen....turnabout is fair play and all that. They may have already done so...I tend not to watch the Bachelorette.

Edited by Rainsong
  • Love 2

Andi had a cooking date with one of her guys.  I forget his name, but he had become a front runner after he made a really great long shot in a basketball game and Andi got all swooney like she does over jocks.  Anyway, it was a disaster.  He pouted and gave Andi the silent treatment after saying,  several times, that he never, ever entered the kitchen for anything but a can of beer.  Come to think of it, it was a very revealing date.  Ask a guy to do something he hates and see how good a sport he is about it.

Speaking of decorating, I felt sort of sad for Whitney when she saw how nicely turned out Chris's house was.  I'll bet his sisters helped.  I expect most women would like to start with a fairly bare canvas and create her own style.  Jade had looked around and said it needed a, "woman's touch," but  it seemed fine to my minimalist tastes. Who knows what sort of fringed cowboy lamps Jade had in mind?

• Love 4

Aren't all the Bachelors good looking?  I'm not into guys, but they seem to me like the type that many (most?) women would go for.

So do people want MORE cheap dates or FEWER?  Seems like there are different opinions.  I'd prefer more cheap dates.  Focus on the people (as boring as they may be) and not on the scenery or spectacular locations.  Group dates are pretty gimmicky and boring and you don't see the leads interact with anyone much, but I guess they are a way of getting a lot of contestants on screen.  I'd prefer a smaller cast (maybe 10 women) and more 1-on-1s.

I'd modify it a bit. Make the early dates economical, more like real dates but definitely more interesting than this season. (From what I watched of it anyway, since the dates and Chris seemed so boring, I only watched half a show at a time). MIni-golf and lunch, sledding and early supper etc. Then as the show goes on, the dates get better and better and they get to dress up more. Make these bachelorettes earn their glamour! By saving money on the early dates, they could throw in more gifts. Always thought it sucked that only one would get a decent gift (dress, jewellery etc.)

• Love 2

Here's my gripe after reading blogs from both Chris S. and Chris H. : if the show wants to spin a narrative, TPTB need to make sure their versions of the truth align. If Chris Harrison is to be believed, it was Whitney for weeks (suggesting that all this "drama" over Becca was contrived for the sake of making the show more interesting). But reading Chris S's blog, he was very much conflicted, basically up until the 11th hour.

Unless, of course, Chris H. was trying to soften the blow for Whitney. 

Edited by archer1267
  • Love 2

They either need to go all out fairy tale, or all out broke. Either the show is a faux fairytail with good looking people and locations , or it's just running through mud and being humiliated.

And no, I can't think if one bachelor who would be considered better looking than average for the most part. Most of them have been plain, IMO, and probably living from paycheck to paycheck. I don't want to live in a world where Chris, blob , Flapjack ect are considered man meat.

• Love 3

But reading Chris S's blog, he was very much conflicted, basically up until the 11th hour.

After many seasons of reading the leads blogs, I don't think they actually write them themselves...kinda like the date notes (from every season) that have always been in the same handwriting, too. Plus, their blogs don't reflect any of their own speech mannerisms...they just sound like the same old stuff that is published in all the gossip rags. And having it been made painfully obvious that Chris S can't put a coherent thought together and also say it, I find it unbelievable that he'd write in a much more cohesive manner than he speaks. ymmv 

• Love 3

LOL, a Chris blog would go something like this-"Uh...That....I'm.....Midwestern values...?   You....Ah.....do...uh,  you think my.....Tractor?   is sexy?    Uh......mumble.......Farmlington.....stuff....Mom's meatloaf......Girls,,,uh....Hot Mustangs?"

• Love 6

ITA.  We never remember who half of them are anyway, since so many just get lost in the shuffle, so start with less and make it more interesting instead of a blinding parade of shiny white veneers, boob jobs, and fake hair.

And I agree with MuShu.  Go all out or go home.  This past season was downright shabby and depressing.

• Love 1

It's never going to happen, but it would be lovely if they cast a bachelor who had charisma, and...hell, let's aim for the stars!...charm. I could take a bachelor who was less physically perfect if he had wit to offer. Prince Farming was so vacuous that he reminded me of Prince Valium in Spaceballs. Stupid is so, so boring.

• Love 4

I agree that 25 contestants is WAY too many to start with and, didn't Chris have 30 this time? How on earth can someone even get to talk to that many people in one night, enough to make what could be a life-changing decision. Ten would be nice, so we viewers get to know them. In one b-ette season a very good-looking ER doctor got sent home first night and we all lamented losing him. It was revealed when he appeared on Wipeout that he got pretty drunk and was talking to bushes. (I know, it worked for Claire.) But we never saw that on the show. There was too much to cram 25 "meetings" in, even over two hours.

Also, that first-night cocktail party lasting from dusk until 11 a.m. ... the heck? That's just all kinds of wrong.

One of Emily's first dates was to take a bach home and cook a meal in her kitchen with him. I don't remember who it was, but I do remember his being all excited to get this first date, then turning all sourpuss when he found out what they were going to be doing.

So yeah, "real" dates like making dinner together would be a great start, and a way I would know which bachelors to say good-bye to immediately without even waiting for a rose ceremony.

Seems like Jillian did a shopping/cooking date too. I remember her kayaking around with some bach, then did they make dinner? So long ago, so little brain cell capacity.

Edited by saber5055

One of Emily's first dates was to take a bach home and cook a meal in her kitchen with him. I don't remember who it was, but I do remember his being all excited to get this first date, then turning all sourpuss when he found out what they were going to be doing.

That was Ryan, who was a total pig. He told Emily he wouldn't have sex with her if she gained weight. To be fair, the date wasn't about the two of them, it was him tagging along for Emily's "day in a life": grocery shopping, making snacks for her daughter's soccer team, then take the snacks to the soccer game. Still no excuse for Ryan's attitude, but I thought it was a let-down as far as dates go.

Seems like Jillian did a shopping/cooking date too. I remember her kayaking around with some bach, then did they make dinner? 

Yes, it was with Kiptyn in Vancouver. They went to fa armer's market to shop for ingredients then cooked and had a romantic dinner at Jillian's apartment. That actually seemed like a fun and romantic date, but of course Kiptyn wasn't really into Jillian.

I want normal people. I want to believe they left their normal lives to find someone they might love. I want to believe they could find love, and then return to their normal boring lives with their old jobs and no cameras. I am tired of Hollywood. I don't mind the editing and the guessing who wins and liking and not liking the contestants, but I want these people to be normal. And new people. I am sick of so and so is someone's sister and recycling them through other shows. I also want fewer candidates. If it's eight shows, have nine candidates and send only one home every week. Don't have people who never get to say a single word. If the season picks some candidates who don't end up being exceptionally camera-worthy, deal with it, editors. Let us and the B or B'ette get to know them.

And I don't want to see Bachelor Chris on DWTS. Why the heck didn't they put Kaitlyn on it--fgs, she actually is a dancer, we have been told, and has a really good personality, she could easily have won. Bet she would rather have done that than be in the position she was put in last week.

• Love 2

That was Ryan, who was a total pig. He told Emily he wouldn't have sex with her if she gained weight. To be fair, the date wasn't about the two of them, it was him tagging along for Emily's "day in a life": grocery shopping, making snacks for her daughter's soccer team, then take the snacks to the soccer game. Still no excuse for Ryan's attitude, but I thought it was a let-down as far as dates go.

Yes, it was with Kiptyn in Vancouver. They went to fa armer's market to shop for ingredients then cooked and had a romantic dinner at Jillian's apartment. That actually seemed like a fun and romantic date, but of course Kiptyn wasn't really into Jillian.

This probably makes me a terrible person, but I just wouldn't be able to take someone named KIPTYN seriously.  In any way.

I also want fewer candidates. If it's eight shows, have nine candidates and send only one home every week. Don't have people who never get to say a single word. If the season picks some candidates who don't end up being exceptionally camera-worthy, deal with it, editors. Let us and the B or B'ette get to know them.

Yes! 

Edited by foo

This probably makes me a terrible person, but I just wouldn't be able to take someone named KIPTYN seriously.  In any way.

He ended up with someone with an equally ridiculous name - Tenley from Jake's season. She refers to them as KipTen.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1

If I remember correctly, Kyptin ... oops! Kiptyn was kinda cute. I remember Tenley, didn't she make it pretty far with Jake, like to hometown or something? Seems like she did weird dancing if I remember right.

Sending one b-ette or b home per week would be a good choice IMO, after starting with how many weeks there are in the show. Maybe a few more. But more than 15 to begin with? No. I really dislike not getting to know some of the ones I think are cute or promising when they are sent home the first night, and after getting no edit at all. It seems a huge waste of TB money to fly them all to LA, then fly them all home.

There have been a lot of ridiculous names on this show and, if it continues, there will be lots more even crazier names with the new generations coming up. (Color me old. Git off my lawn.)

Interesting that Ashley S. said in an interview that she and Chris had great conversations (that were never shown) and she felt that she was kept as long as she was MAYBE because he really did like her, not because TPTB told him to keep her. If less people were on, more of that could be shown. You know, NORMAL dating stuff.

Interesting that Ashley S. said in an interview that she and Chris had great conversations (that were never shown) and she felt that she was kept as long as she was MAYBE because he really did like her, not because TPTB told him to keep her. If less people were on, more of that could be shown. You know, NORMAL dating stuff.

Ratings would tank, don't you think?  People live for the crazy!. Maybe it's me personally, but I would be bored as hell watching a relationship develop between  my neighbor and/or coworker or anyone else for that matter! 

I don't know, Fable. I get all sappy and mushy thinking TB/B-ette really will find love and get married on this show. And I'm one of the most sarcastic cold-hearted viewers. But I got all weepy when Whitney toasted Chris's family, and when Chris proposed. So I think seeing real people (supposedly) find real love would hook me in. I strongly disliked Sean, but still had to get out the hanky when he and Catherine rode off on that elephant.

I hate when the women all turn into fighting shrews or there are evil "villains" in the house. So maybe I'm out-of-the-norm since I know so many watch for the crazy. It just makes me sorry for the human race when people are so ... so awful.

• Love 2
To be fair, the date wasn't about the two of them, it was him tagging along for Emily's "day in a life": grocery shopping, making snacks for her daughter's soccer team, then take the snacks to the soccer game. Still no excuse for Ryan's attitude, but I thought it was a let-down as far as dates go.

I really hope I don't offend forum-readers when I say that I could do without single parents as the Bachelor/ette. It's highly unrealistic as it is that this "journey" will end happily and lead to the altar as it is, but throwing a child into the mix just seems even crazier. Yes, single parents absolutely deserve to find love, and at the end of the day, they're in charge of deciding whether, say, their son can get used to one potential stepmom before getting another one in a very public way (i.e., Jason Mesnick). But the single parents I know are very cautious about introducing new people to their kids - they don't want them to start getting attached unless it's a serious relationship.

I'm not even one of these "but what about the children?" people. But I find it distracting, to start wondering about how a child is going to figure in to all of this, when it's all about fantasy suites, trips to mostly exotic destinations. I didn't watch Emily's season, but it sounds like at least the contestants got a sense of what they were in for, romancing a single mom.

I agree that 25 contestants is WAY too many to start with and, didn't Chris have 30 this time?

It might as well be speed dating. And I'd love to see Chris Harrison sit there with a bell and a timer. It certainly would be efficient.

• Love 2

Ratings would tank, don't you think?  People live for the crazy!. Maybe it's me personally, but I would be bored as hell watching a relationship develop between  my neighbor and/or coworker or anyone else for that matter!

Pretty sure ALL the folks on the shows are somebody's neighbor or coworker....

• Love 1

After many seasons of reading the leads blogs, I don't think they actually write them themselves...kinda like the date notes (from every season) that have always been in the same handwriting, too. Plus, their blogs don't reflect any of their own speech mannerisms...they just sound like the same old stuff that is published in all the gossip rags. And having it been made painfully obvious that Chris S can't put a coherent thought together and also say it, I find it unbelievable that he'd write in a much more cohesive manner than he speaks. ymmv 

EVERY season, the script is that the B has to be conflicted when it's time to make the final decision.  Otherwise, what would the show be?  You can't have them saying "I knew weeks ago who would get the final rose, then I had to decide who to string along until the final dumping".  

What WAS different the season, was that Becca even talked about, to Chris's family, how his relationship with Whitney was strong.  Usually, at least in seasons i've watched, the F2 makes vague references to "someone else", but does not speak in positive ways about the "competition". I thought Becca knew Whitney would get the final rose. 

And I don't want to see Bachelor Chris on DWTS. Why the heck didn't they put Kaitlyn on it--fgs, she actually is a dancer, we have been told, and has a really good personality, she could easily have won. Bet she would rather have done that than be in the position she was put in last week.

Well, DWTS is actually not supposed to be about dancers.  (thought recently some contenders HAVE had dance experience)  the idea has always been to take "celebrities" (however you define that term) who are NOT dancers, and pair them up with coaches who will teach them to dance is a short time.  Sometimes the results are surprising, but most times, the celebs whose fame is most  closely akin to ballroom dancing ends up doing well. Gymnasts, figure skaters, hip hop stars.  The thing is that celebs with a fan base will do well even if they don't dance well, because their fans will call in votes.  And someone like Kaitlyn doesn't have the fanbase of someone who has a long carer acting  or singing. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 1

I think that regualr dates and more regular people would work.  Alex, the first Bachelor and Amanda were very normal. Trista, the F2 or F3 of his went on to be the first B'ette and married Ryan who is normal and the have kids and are still married!  I think the premise was more normal in the beginning, then went off the rails a bit with semi-celebrities or trying to make them into semi-celebrities with Dancing and Jimmie.  Get back to the normal people and quit recycling people!     

If you look at the Real Housewives forums on here, people are saying that we tune for house porn, and fairly glamorous lives because we know that that is the original premise the show:  The original one was OC and filmed in the gated community of Coto de Caza with pretty, rich women but now all we get is screaming, insults, drinking/drugging and more and more- violence.  Many of us do not like it and are letting TPTB know about it! 

• Love 1

This thread is the greatest thing ever.

I have so many ideas in this regard...I have an entire weekly blog series pretty much devoted to how The Bachelor could "suck less". (Tuesday Walk of Shame if you want to check it out.) My biggest one is including some contestants or even a Bachelor(ette) who isn't in the Bachelor stereotype. I realize that was their intent with Chris but now he's on Dancing With The Stars so it wasn't exactly a success. 

My biggest wish is to take the approach that Charlie preferred.  More casual, real life dating situations.  A beer and a hot dog vs evening dress with diamonds in an empty restaurant after hours with prop food.  

The dates on Emily's season were better since she nixed bungee jumping and thrill seeking adventures for dates.  

I would like to hear them talk about favorite movies/books/TV as you would on a real life date.  No one talks about where their relationship is going in the first weeks of dating!  Make this more real.   Have parlor games on group dates.  You learn a lot about someone when they are playing Pictionary. Tabu or Charades and it is fun to watch.  Jane Lynches game night can give them ideas.  

Keep your tired old format, if you must, just change the details.  The concerts for 2 are beyond stupid, too.   

• Love 3

I don't know, Fable. I get all sappy and mushy thinking TB/B-ette really will find love and get married on this show. And I'm one of the most sarcastic cold-hearted viewers. But I got all weepy when Whitney toasted Chris's family, and when Chris proposed. So I think seeing real people (supposedly) find real love would hook me in. I strongly disliked Sean, but still had to get out the hanky when he and Catherine rode off on that elephant.

I hate when the women all turn into fighting shrews or there are evil "villains" in the house. So maybe I'm out-of-the-norm since I know so many watch for the crazy. It just makes me sorry for the human race when people are so ... so awful.

I totally agree with this. My thoughts exactly.

I just found this board this summer during BIP. I previously posted on the ABC message board but they took that down. Ironically I had posted on there some of the same thoughts as this thread. Mainly lower the contestant pool and let us and the lead get to know them better.

I say, lose the dates that consist primarily of dressing up. Women are not Barbie dolls. putting on a princess gown, or a wedding gown, and having a waltz is not a date. Dressing in a costume for a photo shoot is not a date. Also, lose the nude or semi-nude dates. Taking your clothes off, or doing a strip routine, or walking down the street in a bikini, all those things are humiliating and pointless. And don't say it's for "charity", it's just to show tits and ass on tv.

• Love 5
(edited)

Stop with the nonsense on the limo exits.  It is embarrassing to the women and they do NOT want to do this; it is not amusing.    Make the exits short and sweet so the cocktail party is longer.   

Arrange timed sessions where the lead gets to meet each one privately on the terrace for a few minutes and stop another coming in to interrupt.  We know you stage that anyway so knock it off.  This way the lead and viewers get a better picture of who they are. 

The women or men can make a better impression if given a few minutes of uninterrupted time alone on that first night.   

ETA: It is not necessary to cast crazy.  The seemingly normal women get there, too.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

They should:

1. Embrace Reality Steve as he gets us all to watch the show - use him as their social media person.  He has done more for this show than anyone else.  I read his spoilers to see if I I will watch the episode or the season.
  2. Let the Bachelor/Bachelorette see the film of the sneaky people going around with their bad ass selves.  Example Corrinne boasting to the ladies.
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, jumper sage said:

They should:

1. Embrace Reality Steve as he gets us all to watch the show - use him as their social media person.  He has done more for this show than anyone else.  I read his spoilers to see if I I will watch the episode or the season.
  2. Let the Bachelor/Bachelorette see the film of the sneaky people going around with their bad ass selves.  Example Corrinne boasting to the ladies.

I agree with #2, not sure about #1.   

thanks for bringing this topic back to life - look at the dates of previous posts! 

I say the show would be improved if they didn't have all the cocktail parties/rose ceremonies in evening gowns.  It gets old.  The format needs changing up.  Also - the producers need to stop casting the show with "characters"  who have roles to play.  Let everyone be themselves, allow the drama to be organic and authentic.  Manufactured drama is transparent.    They need to decide - is this a fairy tale happy-ever-after show?  Or is it a tawdry, messy reality show where the aim is to have people embarrass themselves?  you can't have both. 

• Love 2