Type keyword(s) to search

Battle Creek - General Discussion

• Start Topic

From the LA Times:

...what's definitive about "Battle Creek," executive producer David Shore said, is its sharp, Gilligan-influenced tone, flashes of black comedy and non-network sensibilities. The series is slated to premiere March 1.

"There will be big crimes and real stakes but with small-town personal angles and a sense of humor," said Shore, Emmy-winning creator of "House." "We've said that if a story could appear on 'CSI' or 'Law & Order,' then we won't tell it."...

Mild spoilers (future plot points) included in the article.

So happy to see Damon Herriman in the preview.  His portrayal of Dewey Crowe on Justified, is comic gold.  He does such a great job playing the bumbling bad guy Elmore Leonard excelled in writing. When I learned he was Australian in real life, I was shocked.

• Love 1

I know they picked the name because of the location, but it's so forgettable to me and I wonder if that might end up being a ratings issue.  I'm generally pretty good at remembering the names of upcoming shows, but 30 minutes after I see a commercial for this one, I can't remember anything except that it's "that new CBS cop show".

• Love 1

I know they picked the name because of the location, but it's so forgettable to me and I wonder if that might end up being a ratings issue.  I'm generally pretty good at remembering the names of upcoming shows, but 30 minutes after I see a commercial for this one, I can't remember anything except that it's "that new CBS cop show".

I actually totally forgot the name of the show and I clicked on this link thinking, "what's Battle Creek"? It's supposed to be in Detroit, I think? They filmed in my neighborhood in Los Angeles and the only reason I know that is because a lot of people were pissed off that their shoots were super loud (full of gunshots and helicopters in an area where there are often actual gunshots and helicopters) and went long into the night after their filming permits had expired.

Edited to add thatI'll definitely be watching the show, if I can remember it's name!

Edited by Soobs

I'm intrigued enough to watch the pilot as I'm a huge Breaking Bad fan and happened to grow up in Battle Creek. I certainly would have never thought a tv show would be based off my hometown, but I'd like to see what they plan on doing with it!

For what it's worth, I've seen other critics, many of whom I respect, have a better opinion of the show than the PTV reviewer.  And they've seen some later episodes that they feel were tighter than earlier episodes.

That's not to discount the PTV recapper's opinion but if there is something in the show that intrigues you, it might be worth a watch.

For me, that draw is Dean Winters.  And the fact that it's a procedural (supposedly pretty decent depending on who you read.)  I like procedurals and I haven't had one I really loved since original recipe L&O went off the air.  The problem is its time slot.  10 p.m. Eastern on Sunday?  No, just no.  Can't even DVR it most weeks.  I will check this out On Demand.  Other problems include hating the later seasons of House but I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 8

I will definitely give the first episode a try because like others in this thread, I've seen JD on other shows and I do enjoy his work.  The name of the show doesn't seem appropriate for the premise, but it may end up making more sense to me once I actually watch the show.

• Love 1

I'm watching the premier live because a) Vince Gilligan is involved, b) Dean Winters is engaging on screen, c) nothing else is on at that time and I'm not scheduled to work, and c) Josh Duhamel is pretty.

Hopefully this won't have pilot-itis like so many recently have had.

• Love 2
(edited)

It has Dewey Crowe!  Or the scary assassin guy from Vegas, but I love Dewey Crowe, so I'll give it a go.

Did not mean to make that rhyme, sorry.

Edited by muffkins
  • Love 5

I love Dean Winters ever since OZ and this show is going to have to be even worse than this recap suggests for me to not watch it, since I'll watch him in anything.  I don't even skip through his Allstate commercials.

• Love 5

I've been staring at that promo photo. In one corner we have Josh, in a sharp suit tailored within an inch of its life. In the other, we have Dean, whose suit is too big: the sleeves are not peeking out from underneath as they should, the tie is slightly unknotted, and the pants are baggy and not...delivering any packages. AND YET I KNOW WHO I WOULD BONE. #SlouchAppeal

• Love 15
(edited)

It has potential.

I'll give it another chance for the reasons stated above.

Plus, there's the cute little office romance.

Just better not make it triangle, Show! I'm watching you. (Really. I am.)

Question for anyone from the Battle Creek area:

Do they really pronounce it "ee-claires" instead of "ay-claires"?

Dean Winters in from NYC, and my mom is from Newark (pre-WWII), and she always called them "ay-claires."

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

I've always called them e-clairs.

I actually liked this episode.

Josh Duhamel, Dean Winters and Liza LaPira (probably mostly recurring).

It's a pretty good cast.

I just need to stop calling it "The Adventures of Leo and Mayhem"

• Love 5

I say ee-clair (military brat so no consistent speech patterns).

Hasn't found the right balance between comedy and drama yet, but good enough for a pilot. J H seems a bit flat or vanilla so far, but I suspect it'll smooth out.

Is there something going on with the filming process? Was kind of old timey looking sometimes.

• Love 2

Is there something going on with the filming process? Was kind of old timey looking sometimes.

I think this is intentional? I actually thought it was based in the past when it was first announced, from the photos and color...

Dean Winters in from NYC, and my mom is from Newark (pre-WWII), and she always called them "ay-claires."

I'm from the upper Midwest (not Michigan), and it's ee-clair here.....

• Love 3

The pilot seemed confused...is it serious? Does it have a message? Is it a dramedy? I felt like I was getting beaten over the head by good cop/bad cop or FBI prince versus Down to Earth scrappy cop. It was the reverse of Rush Hour and I even yelled "Carter you are going to the show!"

By the middle I didn't care about Josh's inevitable backstory that will connect them closer together...it's so The Odd Couple TV cliches now. I was bored and irritated that Vince was part of this smarmy mess, pretty Josh had a weird pulpit tone at the end of the show and Dean was hard to root for.

Sigh.

• Love 2

I gotta say, now that I've finally seen the entire episode, I'm...not hating it. I actually see a lot of potential. I feel like Russell is the cynical voice of the viewer, going, "OH, COME ON!" whenever Milt (seriously? Milt Chamberlain? Who the hell would foist that name on anyone?) would pull one of his mumbo jumbo mystical ways.

This will stay on my DVR for awhile longer. I forgive a lot of shows a lot of ridiculousness (seriously, I watch a lot on The CW, let's talk ridiculous please!), so I can overlook some of the obvious stuff. More Dean Winter on my screen makes me happy!

• Love 6

It.... wasn't bad, but despite CBS' hype, this felt more David Shore, and less Vince Gilligan.  I really wonder how much involvement Vince actually has, because besides one or two moments, it really didn't feel like something from him (unlike, currently, Better Call Saul.)  Dialogue was all over the place, and the humor was hit or miss.  Maybe it was just typical pilot stuff, where they are still trying to find it's voice.

Russ is easily my favorite character so far.  I actually really felt bad for him.  He seemed like a decent cop, who was respectful to his colleagues in his own way, only for this new rockstar to show up, and have everyone fawn over him.  I actually got a bit annoyed with his co-workers (other then Holly), for quickly buying into the Milton hype, and how they seem to treat Russ (especially the one guy who raved about the eclairs Milton gave them, even though they were the same ones Russ always brought.)  I know some of it's on purpose, but I do hope the script eventually gets flipped, and it isn't all "Lets all laugh at Russ being overshadowed by Milton." Maybe it's my love for Dean Winters talking.

The cast is pretty good though.  Disappointed that Damon Herriman and Liza Lapira are only listed as guest actors.  Hope that doesn't mean anything.  It was strange seeing Kal Penn here, and really not do much.  He way more capable then just being a soundboard for Russ.  Always good seeing Janeet McTeer, and I still remember Aubrey Dollar way back on Dawson's Creek.  Even Josh Duhamel's still of blandness, works for Milton, assuming I'm suppose to kind of find him obnoxious.

I do like that there are actual opening credits.  That is rare for new shows these days.

• Love 2

Due to its setting I expect the show will have to deal with a cereal killer at some point.

Well...

according to the listings here, that's the title for an upcoming episode.

• Love 2
(edited)

Lifelong resident of the Detroit area here, and it's always been "ee-claires" for me and everyone I know.

I enjoyed this first episode, but then I would never in a million years watch "Breaking Bad" or other similarly gritty, violent, "realistic" shows, so clearly I'm not coming at it with the same standards as other viewers. I liked Dean Winters best, but Josh Duhamel was okay, too, although it makes me laugh to think they're holding up my hometown as the baseline for sophistication. I do hope they tone down Milt's perfection, though; there may have been some eye-rolling going on in certain scenes. I've read critic reviews that said it tightens up a little in subsequent episodes, so I'm wiling to stick with it for a while. It seems like it'll be a good way to spend my last hour on Sunday night before I go to bed. Enjoyable and a good cast is really all I'm looking for here.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 5
I love Dean Winters ever since OZ and this show is going to have to be even worse than this recap suggests for me to not watch it, since I'll watch him in anything.  I don't even skip through his Allstate commercials.

He was the reason I watched it.  Loved him in Oz, he had such great posture!  Did he gain weight for this role? I don't buy him as a schlub. They are trying too hard to make him Oscar to Josh's Felix.  I'll give it 2 more episodes, if it even lasts that long. 

• Love 1

I wasn't feeling it.  I zoned out half the way through.  I couldn't tell you anything about the case.  I liked Dean Winters and Josh Duhamel but it felt really dated to me.  Like something from the late 80's early 90's.  It might have been more interesting if it was set back in that time. 

I am guessing that there was a reason that this was sitting on the shelf for so long and only dusted off after Vince Gilligan had a big hit with Breaking Bad.

I will watch one or two more but I haven't seem too many shows with a boring pilot get better.  .

• Love 1

I am originally from West Michigan, but my grandma lived in Battle Creek and my dad grew up there. We always said ee-claires. I am in Chicago now and I have heard it pronounced both ways.

It was okay. I currently do not have anything to watch in that hour, so I will give it a few more episodes. I do really like the cast though.

• Love 1
(edited)

Lifelong resident of the Detroit area here, and it's always been "ee-claires" for me and everyone I know.

I enjoyed this first episode, but then I would never in a million years watch "Breaking Bad" or other similarly gritty, violent, "realistic" shows, so clearly I'm not coming at it with the same standards as other viewers....

It seems like it'll be a good way to spend my last hour on Sunday night before I go to bed. Enjoyable and a good cast is really all I'm looking for here.

Thank you to everyone who verified the pronunciation of eclaires for the locale of the show. When my family moved from the east coast to the Chicago area it was quite a linguistic culture shock for my mom, and she let everyone in the family know when something was prounounced "wrong."

Now I just want to know how Dean Winters pronounces "eclair" when he's not acting. :D

kirinan, I stayed away from Breaking Bad for the first 2½ seasons for the same type of reasons, but quickly found that it had a lot of humor and heart--as well as amazing story telling consistency and Bryan Cranston's acting.

I will give Battle Creek the 3-episode chance, which means I liked it more than some pilots, but not as much as others.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
[Dean Winters] was the reason I watched it.  Loved him in Oz, he had such great posture!  Did he gain weight for this role? I don't buy him as a schlub.

I think he just got older. Oz was more than ten years ago, and he's 50 now. Plus, he had that health scare a couple of years ago.

I thought the pilot was pretty good for a pilot. The setup was done without too much exposition. I hope Aubrey Dollar is given more to do than moon over the guys, though.

Janet McTeer does a good American accent, and I bet she's enjoying working with men who are her height or taller. Hee.

• Love 3

Sadly no Funches.  I thought that too for a second.  IMDB says the actors name is Grapevine.

I think Funches will still be on Undateable when it returns.  Sadly because that show bites.

• Love 1

When in doubt, pronounce it the way it originally is, the French way: éclair.

• Love 3

Oz was more than ten years ago,

It hurts to say oz was 18 years ago so yeah, Dean looks aged, but still damn good for a guy who almost died. And I like that Russ is basically Ryan O'Reilly over the hill cop version. 

I thought the show was fun, and I think it will be best off it can stay firmly in the comedic/quirky area with only occasional bouts of serious business drama. I'm annoyed that all I kept hearing about is how this was a Gilligan property, but apparently he doesn't have much of a role in the show as is, and it was a long ago idea (before Breaking Bad) he tossed off with Shore.

The show definitely needs more Liza Lapira and Kal Penn. The weakest link is definitely Duhamel's Milt, though I look forward to finding out his dark secrets and how the more people get to know  him the more unlucky he gets. Raised in Monaco to working in Battle Creek is pretty big fall off Winning Mountain.

• Love 2

I loved this show so much. Just my kind of humor. So much hilarity paired with cool cinematography and a decent plot. Add in Josh Duhamel and Dean Winters (Mr. Mayhem) and you've got a winner! Count me in for the long haul, however long that may be.

• Love 3