Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: If-Then-Else

No...  this show did not just bring tears to my eyes (again)...  it's just rather dusty in here... that's it.

ETA:

I actually hope the preview isn't misleading and she's alive.  I never thought I'd say that about a Sarah Shahi character.

• Love 11

Oh my freaking God. I laughed. I cursed. I yelled. I nearly cried. This episode was pure genius. And thank God for previews, and for the fact when they all work together as a team, anything is possible.

This episode just blew my mind in a good way. Holy possible outcomes, Batman!

Absolutely amazing. Shaw kissing Root was probably my favorite moment. That, and Reese living. And Shaw showing up at the last second to save the day. And her finally taking out the bomber, and most of Shaw's options being to shoot the bomber. And....

There are too many favorite moments to count.

Edited by mustbekarma
  • Love 12

Wow.    Lots of choices, which lead to different outcomes.   Everyone is important, but choices have to be made.   

But really, the only 2 team members to die were women.   Can we please kill off a guy (not JC please) next time?   

• Love 1

Noooooooooooo! As it was getting closer to the end, I felt like I was in Sophie's Choice - which team member did I want to sacrifice, and my answer was none of them! Whaaaa! I so wanted Shah to at least kill that blonde @@#!ch at the end. Fair trade it would have been.

Yes, a surprising amount of humor in such a tense episode!

Edited by HowdyTV
  • Love 3

Noooooooooooo! As it was getting closer to the end, I felt like I was in Sophie's Choice - which team member did I want to sacrifice, and my answer was none of them! Whaaaa! I so wanted Shah to at least kill that blonde @@#!ch at the end. Fair trade it would have been.

Yes, a surprising amount of humor in such a tense episode!

My choice truly was "none of the above." I loved that the Machine wanted it to be that answer, as well.

"it's a simulation, so why not." Best comedic line of the episode. Except for the "insert snarky comment here, insert suggestive come on here, insert any comment here" scenes. And... Oh hell, I've got to stop.

Edited by mustbekarma
  • Love 7

What a great episode.  After four years, this show continues to impress with these creative storylines and I thought the multiple scenarios was absolutely brilliant.  Reminds me of that Star Trek episode where they keep repeating the same day.

I certainly hope that the ending was a swerve.  Definitely wouldn't have said that about the Shaw character a year ago.  Do love the Shaw and Root interaction.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 7

Well, that was certainly an interesting take on the Groundhog Day scenario. I loved that The Machine's scenarios repeatedly included Root hitting on Shaw over the phone. I guess she does do that a lot.

Really funny episode, despite the rather tragic ending.

Otherwise... I'm still processing...

Edited by kariyaki
  • Love 7

Wow. I was grinning throughout this episode (until the end when I wasn't). What a great way to portray the world as the Machine sees it. I admit, they got me with Harold's death. I totally thought the writers went and did it until the reveal that it was just a simulation. As we all know, this is a show that really would kill off a long time character mid-way through the season. And even though it had a Groundhog Day script, there were a lot of great individual lines thrown in as well. My favorite was Harold's speech in the flashback about why he doesn't like chess. Another great touch was when they cut to a commercial right when the Machine made a decision about the best option and the last thing we see is the estimated survival percentage for each of the characters at barely above 2%.

There were so many great little details, too. The most obvious was the Degas painting, but my favorite was actually the way Root says, "Ready to roll?" right before they burst through the door. In the simulations, she has a nervous tremor in her voice. When it happens for real, she speaks the line with her usual cocky assurance. That was when I knew things weren't going to go precisely according to the simulation. And as it turns out, the Machine didn't foresee Shaw coming in to save the day (or her sacrificing herself for the team).

I don't know whether to think Shaw is still alive or not. On the one hand, her fate seemed to be sealed the moment she had her cover blown and Samaritan could track her. It would totally make sense for her to be dead. On the other hand, her death doesn't make sense quite as much as Carter's did. When I reflected back on Carter's death, it made sense that she had served her purpose on the show and that there wasn't really a great role for her in the brave new frontier so if anybody was going to die, it would be her. Shaw's not quite there. And it's notable that all the previews this time have said, "Who will survive?" In the last mid-season finale, the previews promised, "A hero will fall."

Yeah, it's grasping at straws, but what else do we have to go on? I don't know how they're going to top this one. But Camryn Manheim will probably help.

• Love 8

this show will be the death of me.  What I found most interesting was we have a death that truly hurts Root.  Finch, Reese and Fusco experienced a similar loss and how much it hurt them.  Not 100% certain that Shaw is dead, ithough, if they need her to be able to track down the other four.

• Love 3

Damn, they went there!  I'm not even a huge Root/Shaw shipper, but them actually going there is almost impressive for this show (not to mention, network.)  Of course, we'll have to see if they blew that all to hell next week.  

Previews seem to be hinting that Shaw isn't dead. Not sure what's going on there, but I hope it's true.

It's interesting; sometimes I really dislike the whole "It was all just a dream/hallucination/simulation" twist, but this one really worked for me.  It helped that they already have the first one early, so we knew what the score was.  And, I was still curious to see where this was going and if someone was going to bite it. Even with Finch "dying" first, I still was concern that the flashbacks focusing on him meant he could be the goner.  And, I noticed we didn't really see an elaborate simulation death of Fusco, so I really got worried for him too.  Should have known it was going to be Shaw.  Again though, got to wait till next week to really dive into that.

The flashbacks really show how awesome Michael Emerson is.  He was basically just acting opposite of air the entire time, but was still 100% believable and riveting to watch.  I guess I can't expect less from an Emmy winning actor like him.

Loved the final simulation, where things just went crazy, like Fusco making out with Root, and the machine speeding through all the exposition and bantering/flirting.

If Shaw is truly dead, then next week better end with Cara Bruno's character getting taken out in the worst way possible.  She is almost as perfectly smug as Simmons was last season, and just asking for an ass-kicking.

Great episode.  POI is kicking off 2015 in style!

• Love 6

HOLY CRAP.

Well, shit, I called that the show would let Root/Shaw have a real moment before one of them died or appeared to die…I just wasn’t expecting it to be this soon! You GET your girl, Shaw! Like for real, my Root/Shaw loving heart is exploding. “Die for something that you love.” “Are you saying some day?… That’s good enough for me.”  AND THEN “OH FOR GOD’S SAKE” AS I PULL YOU INTO A HEATED KISS. Gah, my FEELS. Also, The Machine is SUCH a matchmaker!!! Harold/Grace, now Root/Shaw…forget OKCupid, The Machine is where it’s at.

For my money, though, Shaw’s not dead (yet). If they’re killing a main character, they’re doing it like Carter—on-screen, in all its bloody glory, with us seeing the kill shot. Shaw’s definitely in Samaritan’s clutches, probably kneecapped or with a shot to the shoulder (the last gunshot), but still alive, I think (and definitely, ridiculously hope). That end scene was just so obviously red herring-ish. The real question is, how badly will Root burn the world down in response before she finds out Shaw’s actually alive (or trying to find her)? Because Root’s FACE when Shaw went down. Plus on a tactical level it doesn't quite make sense for Martine to execute Shaw like that--Samaritan would want Shaw alive, to torture her to find information on the others. (Please, please, PLEASE let her be alive.)

Also, Acker was wonderful in the simulation where she dies, with that last conversation with Shaw. You knew Root was staring at her death the whole time. I also particularly loved John’s grenade death simulation—I shake my head at John’s hero complex, but there’s something wonderfully noble about his suicidal tendencies and how Caviezel plays it.

I love that all our team got their chance to shine tonight, and that the simulations did a lot of character work. John saving Lionel with his hero complex, Harold teaching The Machine that EVERYONE has to live and NO ONE can be sacrificed, Lionel being the one to give Shaw the right “advice” and generally being the one to think of things the others don't, Shaw being the wild card and showing up after crawling through the subway and sacrificing herself, Root providing in some respects the emotional heart of the episode in real-time with her feelings for Shaw (and who would ever have thought even a season ago Root could be an episode’s heart?). That repeated shot of our team busting out of the kitchenette was awesome. The music was great, too. I missed seeing the fulls sequence in the last simulation, though I totally understood why they cut it.

The flashbacks to Harold with The Machine in 2003 were really, really poignant. It’s always so sad, to me, when we flash back to times when Harold and TM had such a close and sweet relationship, when he was so delighted by TM. Makes their current freeze so sad. And it annoys me that Harold is so skeptical of TM. If only he knew....

Overall, a fascinating, really good episode--at 40 minutes in I thought we were at the 20 minute mark! Though I wouldn’t want them to duplicate it again this season (perhaps ever), I really, really liked the narrative structure and what it showed us about how TM works. I also loved the HUMOR—when the Machine substituted its dialogue “playfully witty sign-off”-style and sim!Fusco kissed sim!Root, I DIED. But seriously, the ultimate moral—that our team is best AS A TEAM, together—was of course gold, and I just loved Shaw asking different people how to talk a man down, and everyone’s different answers, because it was just so revealing.

However, on a superficial note: one thing that was NOT A+ tonight was the makeup. The blush on the ladies was out of control, and not in a good way.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 14

Fusco kisses Root (aka Analog Interface).  Why not?  It's a simulation.

Shaw kisses Root.  Why is Root getting all this action all of a sudden?

Shaw crawls through 50 yards of duct and Chance of Survival numbers skyrocket,  Shaw can't be dead.  The team needs her too much!

• Love 6

This ep needed Fusco's nicknames for Root - Nutter Bitter, Nutella and ??? (Can't remember the last right now). I needed a small dose of humor.

Damn.

Banana Nut Crunch.

I laughed at Fusco kissing Root in the simulation.  Even the computer likes to screw around with those scenarios when it gets the chance!

Edited by benteen
  • Love 11

Ah yes, the Degas. I swear to God, as the Degas kept getting it in simulation after simulation, I started thinking that the Machine really has to have someone take it down from that wall. And then Root goes ahead and does just that!

What a fantastically enjoyable episode. I didn't think of it as Groundhog Day as much as that episode of Community where they went through different possible scenarios. I loved the humor, the not-quite-expectedly explicit Root-Shaw "simulated" stuff, even the unexpectedly poignant ending. And then the previews change the game again! Damn it, I love this show.

• Love 5

You know, it occurred to me: after all the scenarios of that artwork getting obliterated by bullets, The Machine had Root pull it off the wall. It really does serve to illustrate how these possible scenarios are ALWAYS being run by the machine, because in previous episodes, Root has done weird inexplicable things via prompt from The Machine and this is the reason why.

• Love 12

This effing episode! And last effing episode! And the previews!

Where's Bear?  I need a hug!

They're killing me with these last few eps. I need Bear and Leon to calm my poor frayed nerves.
  • Love 3

Did anyone catch the time the whole scene with Shaw happened? I was curious..as the clock kept saying 3:10 or so when they were in the breakroom.If the events near the elevator happened around 3:14 that would be a GREAT shout out to long time fans..

Great..great episode...I think I love this show more than some of my beloved cancelled shows of the past...(Boomtown, American Dreams etc..)

• Love 3

First gobsmacked by Shaw kissing Root then heart dropped seeing Shaw shot... boy roller coaster.  The whole episode was awesome from the Degas to the funny lines as the simulations progressed.

Augh!  Don't kill off another wonderful character I LIKE! (I liked Carter).  I'm not a giant fan of Ms. Groves (aka Root) but with this episode she is a little more human than before not so...well arrogant (that's the way it came off for me sorry). 

I didn't see any previews so will be in agony for a week lol.

• Love 1

The slow motion "death" scene was some standard dramatic device at the end. AND IT TOTALLY GOT ME! Dammit it got me!  Also "death" better stay in quotations! DON'T PLAY WITH MY EMOTIONS PROMO!

• Love 4

Rewatching clips from tonight (because GAH), and I have to say: Amy Acker slayed the elevator scene when she lunges at the door, but something that broke my heart on second viewing that I didn't notice the first time around: Fusco's face when he caught Root and held her back while Shaw kicked the grate down, right before Root lunges forward. His lightbulb is going off like half a second before Root's, so when he first catches her, she looks just totally gobsmacked and he looks stunned but also like he already knows that was a goodbye kiss, like what he's stunned by (Shaw's sacrifice) is different than Root's shock ('cause that kiss just blew her mind). And then when Shaw pulls the grate down and Root's still reeling but suddenly gets it, Fusco's face just crumples, but then he goes stoic again, because he knows he needs to hold it together because no one else is going to. Props to Kevin Chapman, because he really added so much to that scene just via his facial expressions.

Also, when they're prying Root off the grate, Finch turns to Root as the elevator doors shut, but like Root, Fusco watches Shaw all the way to the end. Love that detail. The Shaw-Fusco brotp is a favorite of mine, so my heart twinged a little.

On reflection, it cracks me up that Shaw has held her cards so close to the vest re: Root (and refused to listen to the turned-down volume) that The Machine's predictions were so off. The Machine had Shaw being all "Yeah, we can talk about it someday when everyone else is dead" and whatnot, and then real-life Shaw basically said "I really want to bang you but am going to talk myself out of i--SCREW IT, DRAMATIC HEARTRENDING KISS TIME."

• Love 12

Hmm.  I dropped out of watching this show back around the end of Season 2.  I may have to go back and watch since then, since this is getting such glowing reviews.

• Love 3

Oh my God. I had tears in my eyes as soon as we saw the footage going to slow motion and beginning to evaluate strategies. I've wanted to see that for so long.

I loved the little scene that kickstarted the simulations. Great characterisation once again; when in danger, Root pleads with her Goddess, Fusco makes a gruff joke, Reese blames the Machine (and jabs Harold about her) and Finch still trusts in his creation.

Finch teaching the Machine how to play chess as a way to train it for complex decision making? At the Machine's own request? Awesome. Relax and play? Amazing. And "No valid options" was chilling (and, in retrospect, tragic foreshadowing). I wasn't expecting flashbacks and I'm glad we got them, it's always a thrill to see pre-show Harold. We saw him flat-out teaching the Machine that all people are equal. Including himself. I didn't know if that was potential foreshadowing of his eventual death ("I'll be gone") or, more likely, of Samaritan's eventual defeat (it does see the world as a game of chess). I hope it was the latter.

Speaking of seeing Harold, watching him die was as heart-wrenching as I feared. That said, I'm glad he was the first faux-casualty because it's clear the Machine wouldn't let her daddy perish. Although it did make me think we might get a double twist a la Carter, that he'd escape danger only to die later.

The second simulation was fascinating. All the differences, like Reese and Fusco not appreciating the painting or Fusco taking the time to respond to Greer, thus buying them time, or Reese telling Shaw to talk down bomb vest guy with love and not a bullet to the head, were genius. I also loved Reese saving Fusco (he does like him! Plus, of course, no point in them both dying and Reese does "have to be the hero", which is a great callback to his therapy sessions). And Reese getting shot so many times hit me hard. He did go out like a boss, at least. Man this episode was hard to watch. But the first time I actually shed tears was when Root was talking to Shaw. Amy Acker was so beautifully off, almost desperate with a crazy twist. Perfect. The Shoot conversation happened and I'm sure Shaw would have given a different answer had she known Root's predicament. Sigh. Those two. Talk about an undesired outcome.

The third simulation? Fusco kissing Root? I think I squealed in real life, hit pause and then cackled for a good 5 minutes before I could resume watching. God I love this show. I also loved that Fusco's approach was the best one re; bomb vest guy. That was a somber moment that was very well done. Also well done? The simplification of the simulation. Awesome way to not have the episode be repetitive. Coolly delivered sadistic warning? That's Reese in a nutshell. Root's overly affectionate greeting versus Shaw's "... greeting"? YES. 

And when we went to real time? The Machine saving the painting while the team had a 2% chance of survival? Amazing. And proof that Harold has taught it well, as Root said later. And then! "They're early" made me queasy. That's when it was clear things would be a little different. And Reese taking that bullet for Finch? Instant tears. There's a humanity in Harold teaching the Machine that all lives are equal, but there's also humanity in Reese valuing the life of a loved one more than his own. Sigh. The sacrifice made me think of Carter, and then I realised the value of her death yet again. I was genuinely afraid for Reese's life in that moment in a way you just aren't when it comes to network shows. Same for Root, when we saw she was bleeding as well. Shaw was my beacon of hope.

UNTIL SHE KISSED ROOT. I screeched. And started praying to a God I don't believe in. All I could think about was "not again". And that music. And the gunshots. And Root's face. Tears. Just tears. I will hope against hope that Shaw is alive and one day, when she comes back, she has to use her words and talk about that kiss. But the gunshot after we went to black and the silent "stay tuned" were not cool. NOT COOL. But, yeah, that whole "die for something that you love", that was cool. Aw.

Incredible episode. Just incredible. Such a smart, non-hokey way to show alternative scenarios play out. Such great use of humour in such an intense episode. Such a great opportunity for high drama that didn't feel cheap. Because there was a real cost in the end; Reese and Root got shot, Shaw got shot and captured (lalala, not listening). It wasn't like "haha, wasn't this fun, and now everything is fine again, yay!". It was like "haha, wasn't this fun, and now DEATH".

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 16

This show continues to intrique and surprise.  One thing that I found interesting in this episode is that TM still has a blank spot on human behavior, specifically disobedience.  In all of the scenarios that TM ran, none of them included Shaw defying the order that she stay away because she was compromised.  If that had been figured in, TM would have selected that one (perhaps even contacting Shaw to direct her there), since the chances of survival immedately jumped substantially.  I do admit that it is possible that TM was in contact with Shaw, but it seems more likely that while TM can observe the dynamics of a tight-knit group of people, it has trouble when it is called upon to predict how potentially illogical those people will act under extreme stress.  For example, it could easily predict that John would scrifice himself for the others, so that was in one of the scenarios.  However, that Shaw would first go outside of her comfort zone of shooting people to talk down the bomb vest guy and then choose the short term goal of "save everyone's life" versus the long term goal of "keep their new identies safe" seems to be beyond TM.  It points to human disobedience as being a weak spot for TM, which would be a gaping hole for Samaritan, especially since Samaritan has not had the benefit of coaching by Finch. 

Or I am just trying to distract myself from all the sad scenarios of this episode.  It definately bashed the emotions around until I could not decide which of the situations were the worst.

• Love 8

I liked it, I especially liked Finch not liking chess--chess is an overused TV trope--and the parallel between the chess queen and Shaw.  I liked very much the "insert quip here" simulation. And Michael Emerson is god. So there's all that.

However, the kiss was gratuitous and OOC, and the resolution was old school Star Trek--machines fail because they can't account for the unpredictable human element.

The Machine's greater understanding of humanity, though, will probably help it defeat Samaritan.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 6

When Shaw returns (not if.  Being positive.), will she remember the kiss?  Will she deny it happened?

Even the lack of Harold's voice telling us to "stay tuned" was chillingly appropriate.

• Love 4

I have always enjoyed this show. It is well written, well acted and brings up interesting moral dilemmas that turned out to be real. But after last night's episode, I am hopelessly in love with this show. And after the third simulation ("It's a simulation, so why not?" "Playfully witty  signoff."), I want to have its babies.

• Love 10

Shaw (to the suicide bomber): If you wanna die, okay.  But die for something you love.

Shaw loves Root and she will die for her.  She loves Finch and Reese and Fusco and she will die for them.  I truly do believe that The Machine will grieve (in Her own way) for Sameen, because Sameen shows what a human can do to save the things she loves.  Just as Finch taught The Machine to do.  This episode was really about how Sameen and The Machine, a human being and an artificial super-intelligence are not at all different from each other - they were both fully prepared to do whatever it took to both complete the mission and leave no-one behind.  And that is fucking fantastic.

There was a saying in comics that no-one truly dies except for Uncle Ben and Jason Todd.  Well Jason Todd came back in the Batman comics.  In TV, no-one is truly dead until you see a body.  The last we saw was that Shaw was still alive and glaring at Martine (IF ONLY YOUR EYES WERE LASERS SHAW).  Who knows where the rest of Season 4 and Season 5 will take us because if this fucking show has shown us anything, it is that it can do anything.  And in the meantime, Greer, Martine, Samaritan et al better run for the goddam hills because there will be no mercy from the wrath and vengeance of Root and Bear.

Now I'm off to sob myself to sleep. 

• Love 8

I wasn't expecting flashbacks and I'm glad we got them, it's always a thrill to see pre-show Harold. We saw him flat-out teaching the Machine that all people are equal. Including himself. I didn't know if that was potential foreshadowing of his eventual death ("I'll be gone") or, more likely, of Samaritan's eventual defeat (it does see the world as a game of chess). I hope it was the latter.

I figured the team would lose at least one person, just based on the promos and the way the episode was going.  The chess game made me very afraid it would be Harold, too, simply because it was such heavy hammer foreshadowing--which probably should've been a clue it wasn't going to be Harold, but, well, emotions clouded my judgement. 

I liked it, I especially liked Finch not liking chess--chess is an overused TV trope--and the parallel between the chess queen and Shaw. 

However, the kiss was gratuitous and OOC, and the resolution to the solution was old school Star Trek--machines fail because they can't account for the unpredictable human element.

Harold disliking chess also adds an interesting layer to his games with Elias.  Now I wonder how much of the distaste I've seen in Harold during those scenes is for Elias, and how much of it is for chess.  Or both.  It could be both.

(So I'm not the only one that didn't buy the kiss?  Partly because I have trouble seeing Root being enough real girl--instead of a puppet--to be genuinely emotionally invested and sincere in her emotional attachments.  To me, she always comes across as just playing at it because a Root that cares about others is what The Machine would want.)

Edited by Mari
  • Love 6

I don't know whether to think Shaw is still alive or not. On the one hand, her fate seemed to be sealed the moment she had her cover blown and Samaritan could track her.

Which would actually be good from a tactical standpoint; if she's "dead", doesn't she drop off Smaritan's radar?  And I like the idea that team Samaritan still has her alive and is interrogating her, so team Machine can rescue her.  Cuz I like her and don't want her to die. wahhh!

• Love 2

I've slept on it and my mind is still baked.  Damn Show!

I really expected the guy in park when Harold was playing chess to have a more significant role somehow.

And in the various simulations I kept waiting for Shaw to pull her gun on the Wall Street dude who I think was hand cuffed to bomb vest guy.

ETA: Show has made me wish for a slow, violent painful death for Greer and just death for Martine.

If Harold had actually died, I would actually be in mourning.  I'm guessing I need to book an appointment with the therapist.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 5

Loved the episode.

One thing about working with industrial equipment, you know what they are when its in background or part of scenes.  The group is walking in the basement of the financial building and oh, hey...they just walked past chemical feed pumps.  Why would Harold open up a fused disconnect switch and talk about how he can work on the engine? Must stop overthinking things.

• Love 1

I interpret the kiss as Shaw's saying (to herself) "I'm going to be the one to hold down the button, and I'm going to die (to save my friends), so "what the hell"".

Does it have (for Shaw) any deeper romantic meaning? Possibly, based on all the flirting/bantering?

• Love 1

What a fantastic episode, to see things from the Machine's eye view.  To see it care for its daddy, and for each team member to care for each other, and the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.  Something Prune Face, Robotrix and their Not-Good Samaritan would never understand.  Must watch again when I can stand it.

The level of the humor involved in such a serious episode somehow made it MORE dramatic. We know that our cast is fantastic and we expect no less from them, but I bet you they had so much fun with this episode.

And leaving last-but-not-least MAJOR KUDOS to whatever genius wrote the script.  Really really great writing, giving all of us a little of what we wanted to see (except no room for Bear).

• Love 3