Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: Schitt Hits The Fans

• Start Topic

Congratulations to everyone associated with Schitt's Creek on your sweep of the Comedy categories at tonight's Emmy Awards! SO well-deserved and appreciated. Your dedication to portraying the journey of the Roses and friends have made the past several years more bearable, at least for me. Thank you for being a beacon of hope for those of us who believe in the power of love, acceptance and understanding.

Schitts Creek.jpg

• Love 14

Elated at every win tonight for our cherished Schitt’s Creek!  That had to be the BEST party by far!  Where was Emily Hampshire, I wonder?? Actually several beloved faces missing at their party — I guess COVID concerns and scheduling issues came into play.  

But still, a JOY to see these wins for a show that took its time getting noticed and respected.  I’ve loved it since episode one — simply the best!

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I loved seeing Daniel dressed in such David-like attire! But I guess that's because Dan based David so much on himself. So happy for all of them, especially Catherine O'Hara, who has been making me laugh for 40 years. I'm still adjusting to this show being gone, but at least it finally got the recognition it deserved. Brava!

• Love 5
14 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Catherine's acceptance speech:

Eugene's acceptance speech:

Dan winning best writing:

Dan & Andrew winning for best directing:

Dan winning for best supporting actor:

Annie's acceptance speech:

Best comedy series:

I could watch Dan Levy's reactions on loop for hours.

• Love 8

I have loved this show from the beginning (on POP t.v.).  I have to admit I had happy tears in my eyes while watching the emmy sweep and the real joy shown and shared by those at the Schitt's Creek party.  I also appreciate that a show based on love, without a huge budget or on a pay cable channel, could bring such joy, laughter, and tears to me and others throughout its run.

I am just sad that the series is over...but look forward to seeing the cast in other projects and to see what else Daniel Levy will create (not to be confused with Dan Levy and Indebted [which I watched for a few episodes as I thought Daniel was behind it...]).  

• Love 2

I was following along with Sarah Levy's Instagram stories last night, and laugh-crying at her losing her mind. Thankfully her fiance recorded the whole thing from his POV:

It was also neat to see the CN Tower (in Toronto) lit up in honour of the show on the hour tonight. It's blue for Alzheimer's Awareness for the rest of the hour but gold for a few minutes each hour.

The official account has been retweeting great stuff, but the Chicago Bears' account doing their Sunday game recap using Schitt's Creek gifs was extra-fantastic!!

So happy for all involved in the show.

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
On 9/20/2020 at 10:52 PM, MerBearHou said:

Elated at every win tonight for our cherished Schitt’s Creek!  That had to be the BEST party by far!  Where was Emily Hampshire, I wonder?? Actually several beloved faces missing at their party — I guess COVID concerns and scheduling issues came into play.  

But still, a JOY to see these wins for a show that took its time getting noticed and respected.  I’ve loved it since episode one — simply the best!

I had just started watching the show but so far Emily Hampshire is my hands down favorite.

Comedy Central is going to start rerunning the show, starting on Oct. 2. There will be five episodes every Friday, from 8-10:30 p.m. Looks like it's only on Fridays, so the rest of the week there will still be hours and hours on end of The Office and South Park, for those who just can't get enough.

• Love 2

If you're so inclined, you could be the next owner of the real Rosebud motel...
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/09/25/owner-of-schitts-creek-rosebud-motel-shares-exclusive-details-about-property-hes-about-to-put-on-real-estate-market.html 

For those following the NBA Playoffs, Jamal Murray (Denver Nuggets) lived there for a time while attending a basketball prep school in the area. It's the school's president who owns the motel currently.

Edited by mledawn
forgot about Jamal Murray
  • Love 1
On 10/1/2020 at 2:31 PM, monakane said:

Netflix has Season 7 of Schitt's Creek listed on their schedule for October 7.  I'm assuming they meant Season 6.  This is per the list on Vulture.com.

If only it were true that there was a Season 7...I would actually start subscribing to Netflix.  What a cruel, cruel prank Vulture.com is playing upon me...

On 9/26/2020 at 8:05 AM, mledawn said:

If you're so inclined, you could be the next owner of the real Rosebud motel...
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/09/25/owner-of-schitts-creek-rosebud-motel-shares-exclusive-details-about-property-hes-about-to-put-on-real-estate-market.html 

For those following the NBA Playoffs, Jamal Murray (Denver Nuggets) lived there for a time while attending a basketball prep school in the area. It's the school's president who owns the motel currently.

I really think that someone connected to the show should buy it and turn it into a Schitt's Creek destination for fans.  If it were close to where I live (it isn't) I would go after travel restrictions are listed.  I think it would be a really fun travel destination.  Of course, I have no money so am unable to realize this idea...

However, I also think they really should make The Crows III: The Crowening (can't remember it's real name)...

• Love 2

Amazon is pre-selling the complete series dvd that comes out in November.  I'll be getting one for myself and one for my sister.  I don't like to take chances that one of my streaming services may not have this available when I want to watch.

• Love 1
On 11/27/2020 at 9:02 PM, giovannif7 said:

If you're a Schitt'$ Creek fan, you've got a couple of million to spend, and you're looking to start a career in motel management, you're in luck!

I wish they showed some of the rooms besides the manager’s suite. I’d love to know whether they’re actually so-dated-they’re-retro, as the set builders portrayed them. If I invested in the motel, I’d go full ‘70s on the decor!

• Love 1

Golden Globe nominations!

BEST TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY

BEST ACTOR TV SERIES – COMEDY - Eugene Levy

BEST ACTRESS TV SERIES – COMEDY - Catherine O’Hara

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR – SERIES, MINISERIES OR TELEVISION FILM - Dan Levy

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS – SERIES, MINISERIES OR TELEVISION FILM - Annie Murphy

• Love 1

SAG Award nominations!

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series - Dan Levy

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series - Eugene Levy

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series - Annie Murphy

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series - Catherine O'Hara

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series

• Love 1

Producers Guild of America nomination!

Danny Thomas Award for Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television – Comedy

“Curb Your Enthusiasm” (HBO) – Season 10
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“The Flight Attendant” (HBO Max) – Season 1
Producers: Greg Berlanti, Kaley Cuoco, Steve Yockey, Meredith Lavender, Marcie Ullin, Sarah Schechter, Suzanne McCormack, Jess Meyer, Raymond Quinlan, Jennifer Lence, Erika Kennair

“Schitt’s Creek” (Pop TV) – Season 6
Producers: Eugene Levy, Daniel Levy, Andrew Barnsley, Fred Levy, David West Read, Ben Feigin, Michael Short, Kurt Smeaton, Kosta Orfanidis

“Ted Lasso” (Apple TV Plus) – Season 1
Producers: Bill Lawrence, Jason Sudeikis, Jeff Ingold, Bill Wrubel, Liza Katzer, Jane Becker, Jamie Lee, Kip Kroeger, Brendan Hunt, Tina Pawlik, Joe Kelly

“What We Do in the Shadows” (FX) – Season 2
Producers: Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi, Paul Simms, Scott Rudin, Garrett Basch, Eli Bush, Stefani Robinson, Sam Johnson, Marika Sawyer, Derek S. Rappaport

• Love 1

Producers Guild of America award!

Danny Thomas Award for Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television – Comedy

“Schitt’s Creek” (Pop TV) – Season 6
Producers: Eugene Levy, Daniel Levy, Andrew Barnsley, Fred Levy, David West Read, Ben Feigin, Michael Short, Kurt Smeaton, Kosta Orfanidis – WINNER

• Love 1

Schitt's Creek received 22 Canadian Screen Award nominations!

Best Comedy Series
Best Lead Actor, Comedy - Daniel Levy
Best Lead Actor, Comedy - Eugene Levy
Best Lead Actress, Comedy - Annie Murphy
Best Lead Actress, Comedy - Catherine O'Hara
Best Supporting Actor, Comedy - Chris Elliott
Best Supporting Actor, Comedy - Noah Reid
Best Supporting Actress, Comedy - Emily Hampshire
Best Supporting Actress, Comedy - Jennifer Robertson
Best Supporting Actress, Comedy - Karen Robinson
Best Guest Performance, Comedy - Rizwan Manji (The Presidential Suite)
Best Guest Performance, Comedy - Victor Garber (Sunrise, Sunset)
Best Biography or Arts Documentary Program or Series - Best Wishes, Warmest Regards: A Schitt's Creek Farewell
Best Direction, Comedy - Jordan Canning (Sunrise, Sunset)
Best Direction, Comedy - Andrew Cividino, Daniel Levy (Happy Ending)
Best Writing, Comedy - Daniel Levy (Happy Ending)
Best Picture Editing, Comedy - Paul Winestick (Start Spreading The News)
Best Production Design or Art Direction, Fiction - Brendan Smith, Joe Susin (Happy Ending)
Best Costume Design - Debra Hanson (Happy Ending)
Best Achievement in Make-Up - Candice Ornstein, Lucky Bromhead (Happy Ending)
Best Achievement in Hair - Annastasia Cucullo, Ana Sorys (Happy Ending)
Best Achievement in Casting - Lisa Parasyn, Jon Comerford

• Love 2

Costume Designers Guild Award nomination!

Excellence in Contemporary Television
Emily in Paris: "Faux Amis" – Patricia Field & Marilyn Fitoussi
Euphoria: "Part 1: Rue - Trouble Don’t Last Always" – Heidi Bivens
I May Destroy You: "Social Media is a Great Way to Connect" – Lynsey Moore
Schitt's Creek: "Happy Ending" – Debra Hanson
Unorthodox: "Part 2" – Justine Seymour

• Love 1

Dustin Milligan Sweat So Much On "Schitt's Creek" He Had To Have Paper Towels Under His Armpits

Some tidbits about Schitt's Creek:

What was the audition process like for Schitt’s Creek?

I kind of knew Dan Levy — there's a little bit of the Canadian crew hanging out in LA. He was having people over at his house, and he was like, "Hey, I'm trying to get this show together. There might be a role for you." And I was just like, "Oh, wow, I just got offered a role!" Then my agents a week later were like, "Okay, so they want you to audition for this part..."

I had a conversation with Dan the night before [the audition], to just make sure that I wasn't completely blowing it with my approach. And then I went in, we did it a couple times, and it felt good. Sometimes you can't tell — you're like, "Oh, I totally nailed it!" and then you never hear from them again. This one felt pretty good. I was really stoked to get the call.

What was your favorite scene to shoot on Schitt’s Creek?

This one with Annie [Murphy], when her character is sleeping over at my house for the first time — but I'm dog sitting these two dogs, and they have some kind of incontinence thing going on, so they're wearing diapers. There's a whole bit that needed to be executed where one dog smells the other dog's diaper. In order to do that, the dog handler on set had to put Steak-umms inside one of the dogs' diaper so that the other dog would sniff it. I don't know, this has always been something that has been really special to me, when I think about it.

What was your favorite part of working with the Levy family?

I grew up watching SCTV and a lot of other weird Canadian comedies. That was a big thing. I sort of knew Dan, but the idea of getting to work with Eugene — and, of course, Catherine [O'Hara] — was just such an obvious yes! It's just lovely to know that Eugene is just this normal — well, not normal...a very, very nuanced man in a charming and hilarious way. He's just so kind and generous, while we're rolling and in-between takes.

You get to meet these people sometimes throughout your career, and not everybody's nice, not everybody's kind, and not everybody's cool. And Eugene is all of those things. It's almost a relief, especially if you represent Canada so much — as a Canadian, you're like, I hope this guy's not a dick! Quite the opposite.

What’s a small detail you think people might not have noticed in Schitt’s Creek?

Here's something fun and completely embarrassing that happened in the first seasons, then, for some reason, it went away. I'm a human being and that means that I sweat sometimes. There's a lot of scenes in Schitt’s Creek where you may not notice this, but I've got paper towels crammed into my armpits. Our lovely costumer on the show would have a hairdryer ready to go, so in-between takes, I'd be standing there getting my armpits blown. I think a lot of people wouldn't have been able to spot any sort of TV movie magic going on there. Definitely desperately avoiding any indication that I'm human and that I perspire.

There was actually a moment on a very hot day outside the motel, Annie [Murphy] turned around and was like, "I'm so proud of you!" And I was just like, "What?" Then she pointed to my armpits and said, "Look at that, they're dry!" She was very supportive.

I just feel like I run hot. There's been takes before where sweat has dripped from my eyebrows, down into my tear duct, and out down my face. Everyone's like, "Oh my god, I couldn't believe you produced that single tear at that moment! It was so beautiful." Yes, single tear. Of course. I'm a good actor! Not sweaty.

What’s one of the most memorable fan responses you’ve gotten to Schitt’s Creek?

What's been nice about what fans have brought to me, in terms of appreciation, is all the puns. That's something that I started to wedge into scenes early on, and the writers took that and ran with it and started making it a part of the character. When I get recognized as Ted, or people reach out online, it's about puns. I get tagged in a lot of things online, where people are like, "Hey, Dustin, what do you think about this pun?" And usually I'm like, "It sucks!" [laughs] It is something nice that they've appreciated what I brought to that character in that way. I'm a real hard-ass about the quality of puns, so let people be warned, only bring me the good stuff!

• LOL 2
13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

In order to do that, the dog handler on set had to put Steak-umms inside one of the dogs' diaper so that the other dog would sniff it. I don't know, this has always been something that has been really special to me, when I think about it.

Oh my god, I’m rolling! I truly appreciate his sense of humor.

So thanks to my maternity leave, I was able to binge-watch all six seasons in a week, and wow, what a joyous journey that was! This was one of the truly enjoyable shows that I saw, after The Good Place.

Thank God I didn't give up after the first episode, because I really found Roland obnoxious, and not in a funny way. My friends kept telling me that it kept getting better, as well as the reviews and articles I read. My first truly LOL moment was when they were playing the Two Truths and A Lie Game, and Alexis mentioned "My eyes are brown, I'm sample size, and that one time in Thailand where I bribed a drug lord with sex so I can escape the trunk of the car..." and Johnny was so sure the third one was a lie, until Moira interjected "Her eyes are aqua," and the hilarious reactions that soon followed. Then I was all in the first episode of S2 when they finally found David in the Amish farm, and the entire family was like "David, we were so worried for you, looking all over for you," and David answered "I texted Alexis!". The whole family looked at her in utter horror, and Alexis answered "Well, I'm sorry I don't read all of my texts and I don't answer immediately!" 

This is a really well-written comedy, could sometimes be low-brow, but the set-up and punchlines are so well-written, and sometimes unpredictable. When you think it will zig, the scene will suddenly zag.

I'm currently on my second rewatch, so I could catch more nuances in the scenes and characters. My favorite character turned out to be Alexis - one of the rare TV characters who really experienced tremendous growth throughout the series. I'm a little bit surprised to see that this show was essentially Annie Murphy's big break, so good for her!

My favorite relationship from the show was that of David and Stevie. It was a great friends relationship, not too sappy and not too snarky, just mixed with the right amount. I like how the show treated David and Patrick's relationship, but I wasn't too invested in it because I didn't like Patrick's character too much - he seemed low-key intense, and sometimes in a scary way. I like Alexis and Ted's more, and was sad they didn't get their happy ending (for now). 

So glad I found this show! Even though it was a short six seasons, I think I will end up rewatching this over and over. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, slowpoked said:

My favorite relationship from the show was that of David and Stevie.

Same!

My favorite character turned out to be Alexis - one of the rare TV characters who really experienced tremendous growth throughout the series.

Yes! This is the only reason I’m okay with Alexis and Ted not being together at the end of the show. I utterly loved them together, but I love Alexis standing on her own two feet even more. Maybe those two crazy kids will make it work someday, but meanwhile they’re building their careers.

I’m so jealous you got to watch the whole show fresh. 😄 Enjoy the rewatch!

(Agree on The Good Place, too. For another feel-good show, I highly recommend Ted Lasso on Apple TV+. If you have any iPhone, iPad, Mac, you’ll have a free trial.)

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ahisma said:

(Agree on The Good Place, too. For another feel-good show, I highly recommend Ted Lasso on Apple TV+. If you have any iPhone, iPad, Mac, you’ll have a free trial.)

Gosh, I've been wanting to watch Ted Lasso for awhile now! But I only have an Iphone and I find it really hard to watch on a small screen. There are a lot of stuff I want to watch on Apple TV, but can't.

I just want to give a shoutout to Moira, low-key loving mother even though she wouldn't admit it. She's never going to win any mother of the year awards, but I love those little moments that showed she could be there for her kids. When she and Johnny were discussing David's sexuality after he slept with Stevie, and Johnny was saying that maybe David is going through that phase again, Moira insisted it wasn't a phase. When Patrick sang The Best to David on their open mic party, Moira had a proud look and told the Schitts, "Look at my son being serenaded..." And when she arrived at the Singles Week event, she insisted on Alexis playing the musical chairs game, telling her that she won't find her match if she stays as the host and not play the game, and later on, her happy and proud look when Alexis and Ted reunited. 

It does seem though she is fonder of David moreso than Alexis. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Gosh, I've been wanting to watch Ted Lasso for awhile now! But I only have an Iphone and I find it really hard to watch on a small screen. There are a lot of stuff I want to watch on Apple TV, but can't.

taking to small talk...

Edited by SoMuchTV
wrong place