Type keyword(s) to search

Alyssa and John: Lunch with Lurch

• Start Topic

A You Tube popped up yesterday where John was lamenting over having to spend $12 for a mediocre store bought salad for lunch during his work week... They purchased several LARGE chicken breasts and a fresh broccoli. Alyssa threw the chicken in a pan and poured jarred teriyaki sauce over them and cooked them in that pan. She cooked the broccoli too. John finished them on the grill outside. She then proceeded to line up 5 divided containers to fill with the chicken & broccoli. The chicken was not prepared/sliced/ or anything to make them easier to eat. This meant that John ate the same lunch all week. Isn't Alyssa aware that come Thursday & Friday, those lunches would have been in the refrigerator for 4-5 days? We all know that foods should not be consumed more than 3 days after being 'leftover". I wonder if John had to use the restroom more often and wondered why?  

For the life of me, I can't understand why a stay at home mother, such as Alyssa, can't find the time to prepare her husband's breakfast  & lunch each morning before he leaves. I did it for years. The Bates daughters, IMO, like those Duggar girls, have no organizational skills...and they were supposed to be raised to be traditional homemakers? Their mothers were no examples at all IMO and still are not. ..Thanks for listening!

• Love 8

One more thing...perhaps if Alyssa cooked a real dinner for her family each night, John could have the option of a nice meat loaf sandwich on a large deli roll for part of his lunch? My father always took leftovers on Italian bread for lunch, etc. John could do the same. I stil wonder what Alyssa does all day. I know she has 4 children but they seem to be compliant.  I don't mean to pick on her but those YouTubes she puts out leave me with questions.

• Love 8

Meal prep does not seem to be Alyssa’s thing. KJ is similar to Meechelle in teaching her daughters how to be buddies/sister moms, but not much else in the way of skills necessary for life on their own. 

• Love 7

Alyssa said in the video that she had tried preparing sandwiches even separating any ingredients that would make them soggy but he still (and he interjected it too) that they were soggy and just didn't care for them. I can relate. I like a fresh made sandwich from a deli/grill  but bringing a homemade sandwich never worked for me.

• Love 4

I just watched the video and first off, props to Alyssa, she looks amazing. I don't know if she works out, but she's got great muscle tone in her arms. 

I got the vibe she wishes John would just buy lunch while he's working. She seemed a little annoyed during the meal prep, and I caught the dig she made about healthy options being available but people choose not to eat them. I also thought it was interesting John (yet again) brought up money, yet his wife is currently gallivanting around Miami. It's like they're so stingy in certain areas of finance yet frivolous in others. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 7

Alyssa is such an idiot and Kelly def did not raise her daughters to be good housewives. Does she not realize her husband is wanting to pack lunch to save money? He mentioned money more than 1x in a segment that was not even 5 min long - that a salad at a fast food place costs like $12; and at the end he was like - 5 days of lunches for $14 total otherwise I'm spending at least $10/day. And Alyssa really couldn't think of any better ideas rather than pouring bottled sauce on huge chicken breasts and what looked like unseasoned hunks of broccoli? He's going to eat that for 5 days - same thing daily - and tire of it and have to go back to buying; those huge chicken breasts are going to be totally bland on the inside as they were so thick and not marinated in any way so the outside will have some taste and the inside won't.

She was just hinting he should buy lunch bc she doesn't want to be bothered, as she lamented that all day life gets in the way and kids and then at night they have to do chores like this. Uh yeah sweetie - you wanted a husband and 4 children under age 6 at 26, did you not think this would involve work and real life chores like cooking to save $$; did you think you'd just take IG videos all day and brag how #blessed you are??

I doubt he's said no sandwiches ever bc they're soggy, as he even said I ate the  sandwiches but a sandwich daily ugh. She can't do a few different menu items for him? Say sandwiches 2x/wk on a roll/italian bread that'll stay harder than regular bread and packed separately so he's putting the meat and veggies on the bread himself before eating? And 2 days a week some type of meal like chicken/vegetable or pasta? And he can eat out 1x/wk? And stay home wife really can't come up with any solutions so he's not eating cold chicken? She really thinks he can go into a house on an AC job and be like - yeah can I use your microwave - or go looking for a Panera and use a microwave there? Sure there are microwaves at places like Wawa and certain nicer gas stations where workers do warm up food - but otherwise has she not heard of thermoses, hot packs, making food that is edible lukewarm - which Teriyaki chicken is not??

But yeah must jet off to Miami to prove what an influencer I am and go eating out at relatively nice places - not over the top but sit down Italian that wasn't Olive Garden; Smith & Wollensky isn't cheap either. Sure their Miami shopping was NBD and looked like a big box store like Childrens Place and IDK if they stayed in a hotel - but tix and 1 hotel night (if not w Tikki) does cost SOMETHING. Yet when her husband tries to save money - ugh so annoying to have another chore of making lunch. Uh sweetie I know you're dumb but $10/day = $50/wk which for 50 weeks = $2500. I don't think you are sooo rich than $2500 doesn't matter - think about how much Sbux, overnight trips, and junk clothing it'll buy for you and the girls?!

• Love 9

I didn't watch the video, but it seems to be an all or nothing thing going on with the lunches. Like @cereality said, change it up a bit. And have a bagged salad in the fridge for back-up. No one can tell me Alyssa doesn't have the fancy Bento boxes to keep the food separate and fresh. And like @MargeGunderson said, even if Alyssa is a stay at home mom, John could make his own lunch on occasion.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I agree with you, cereality, those gigantic hunks of chicken breast looked awful. Meal preparation and planning are a large part of being a "well trained traditional homemaker". I am pretty sure that lazy Alyssa knew nothing about what it takes to actually run a household. Maybe they will hold off on baby #5. How about sending the older girls to school?

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I agree with you, cereality, those gigantic hunks of chicken breast looked awful. Meal preparation and planning are a large part of being a "well trained traditional homemaker". I am pretty sure that lazy Alyssa knew nothing about what it takes to actually run a household. Maybe they will hold off on baby #5. How about sending the older girls to school?

The Webster girls will never go to school, that would be more work for Alyssa. She posts on Instagram on the days they go to co-op and makes it seem like a miracle they got out the door. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Honestly, my first thought is that John can make his lunch himself. 

Yeah, John definitely seemed a bit nitpicky. He didn't like the sandwiches, even though Alyssa separated everything so they wouldn't get mushy, he doesn't want to waste money eating out, but then complained about how he was going to heat up the chicken. It's lunch, bro. There's only so many options and it's not like Alyssa can show up to the job site with an electric skillet and cook on demand. I'm not sure what he expects her to do. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, ozziemom said:

The Webster girls will never go to school, that would be more work for Alyssa. She posts on Instagram on the days they go to co-op and makes it seem like a miracle they got out the door. 

She complains about her kids more than anyone I know. It’s so annoying. If you didn’t want all the work and mess that comes with kids, then you shouldn't have had them.

Also a couple of times at least, she’s mentioned that the oldest 3 have gotten ready on their own.  So maybe it’s her need to have perfect face, hair & coffee that’s wrecking her time table. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, 65mickey said:

It's much ado about nothing. They were probably just looking for something to film on the weeky youtube video. If John doesn't like what Alyssa prepares for his lunch he can fix his own lunch. 

I guess this is what happens when you’re trying to be a YouTube star but you’re boring and have to create conflict.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
On 10/9/2021 at 7:25 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Honestly, my first thought is that John can make his lunch himself. 

AMEN!  John (or any other of the fundie husbands) don't appear to have broken fingers.  They can make their own damn sandwich.  I've been a stay-at-home homeschool mom for years, and I've never gotten up to make my husband's lunch. He does it all on his own just fine. In fact, when we both worked outside the home, he often made my lunch too. Past time to let the traditional gender roles go into the trash with the prairie dresses.

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 10

Pictures today on Instagram of the crew going to church. Appears Katie and Addee are still in Florida. So while Alyssa and Katie went to Miami, was Addee babysitting for all of Alyssa’s kids? How old is Addee, 15 or so? Seems like a lot of responsibility but I guess Addee could be a mom in a couple years, so it’s ok?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The younger girls have to help out the older sisters who were sister moms to them, I guess.  It’s a vicious circle.  
You would think that if any of the older sisters have lingering resentment about being forced to raise their younger siblings they would not turn around and essentially do the same thing to the younger girls, but that does not appear to be the case.

• Love 6

Maybe John took the day off on Friday or someone in his family helped out. Alyssa seems to be close to her inlaws. She said it was a 48 hours trip.  I doubt that they drug  Addee down to Florida and forced her to watch 3 young children and a baby against her will. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Maybe John took the day off on Friday or someone in his family helped out. Alyssa seems to be close to her inlaws. She said it was a 48 hours trip.  I doubt that they drug  Addee down to Florida and forced her to watch 3 young children and a baby against her will. 

Well Addee was in Florida when they all picked up Katie’s bridal dress but not on the Miami trip. Carlin, Layla and KJ went back to Tennessee so I’m just assuming Addee was at Alyssa’s to babysit. Not implying that  she was forced, but I don’t think she had much choice. 

• Love 5

Give me a break, I don't think anyone gives Addie or Ellie a choice re babysitting. Now I'm not saying it's "against their will" bc how can any of us know what they are actually thinking. Maybe they ARE ok with these trips to Florida because it's simply a choice of watching Z&W's brats all the time at home or going down to Fla to watch A&J's brats, and with Fla. they at least get a change of scenery, pool time, nice weather etc. But let's not act like the sisters don't 100% use Addie and Ellie to dump their kids on so they can live as if they're child free or as if they're rich people with FT nannies.

Addie and Ellie both came down for this trip and then Ellie left - presumably to "help" Carlin on the flight etc. and Addie stayed with FOUR kids including a baby so Alyssa could rush off to Miami to play IG influencer. Don't tell me Addie didn't have to do a lot for the kids -- EVEN IF John took the day off or the mother in law helped, YOU KNOW Addie had be to cooking, feeding and diapering too, not just chilling by the pool while the adults watched the kids. This isn't like when Jackson/Warden/Isiah visit and legit get to chill and if they give the kids 5 minutes of attention they are SUCH great uncles -- no one would dare expect them to feed or diaper a child or deal with their tantrums.

Addie and Ellie had to be down at A&J's when they moved and in EVERY video they were either packing boxes or dealing with the kids. There have been other Fla. trips for Katie's weddings that were day trips - where they literally took Addie/Ellie from the airport to Alyssa's house - and off the rest of the sisters went to coffee and then dress shopping, lunch etc. and then went back home to pick up Addie/Ellie and returned to the airport. There have def been times where I have said - damn I at least hope one of the sisters or Kelly was nice enough to get a lunch packed at the restaurant for Addie/Ellie bc as "the help" all they've done all day is get up at 6 am to get to the airport and then dealt with diapers and tantrums!? 

It'd be one thing if they were paying these girls market rate but let's be real they 100% aren't. They're either acting like -- ooooh sister time let's all go down to Fla for wedding project #30000 of course A&E should come they're not little kids anymore -- but then upon landing, oh but someone needs to watch the kids, sorry A&E. Or they are acting like these 14-15 year old sisters "owe" them. OR it's -- so what's the big deal, when I was their age I had to watch 10 younger kids and cook for a family of 20+ people, they barely have to cook for 10 people and watch 2 little siblings and Whit's 4 kids, they have it so easy, why shouldn't they HAVE TO do this for me so I can live a little and pretend to be young and childfree??

I do wonder what'll become of Addie and Ellie. When G&K had a slew of girls to marry off, they used to spend a LOT of time "fellowshipping with sweet friends" and going to ATI and homeschool conferences and fundie weddings all over the place. That's how Brandon, John, and Evan all came onto the scene. AND the girls had ERIN who was REALLY aggressive -- calling John and basically "accusing" him of liking one of them and demanding to know who thus tying him to Alyssa; shoving Evan and Carlin together once she figured out he noticed her. Now Erin is just generally less interested/out of the family scene and Kelly doesn't seem like she and Gil really are into "fellowshipping" anymore as Kelly just seems to be loving the jet off to Florida or vacation or pedicures with her older daughters - type of life. Hope Addie and Ellie both enroll in Crown and make some christian conservative friends and hope to meet their brothers/cousins bc otherwise I don't see G&K nor the sisters really ensuring they meet a guy to marry in 2 years.

• Love 9

Well I hope they don't meet a guy to marry in 2 years. They would be what 16 and 17??  I said before that we don't know anything about the finances of these couples and we don't really know anything about the relationships between the sisters. To me it's just speculation what Addee was doing at Alyssa's. Maybe she volunteered to say a couple of extra days because she enjoys being there and Alyssa and Katie pay her a lot of attention. It looked like her hair was styled and she had on a cute dress and heels for church. She may very well feel like a more normal teenager while at Alyssa'a. But this is just me speculating. Having no knowledge I won't condem any of the sisters. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

How old do you think Alyssa, Katie, and Josie were when they met their husbands? And how old do you think they were when they started pestering for a ring? We’ll wait. I think you have an overly rosy view of who these girls are. Just bc they dress nicer than the Duggars doesn’t mean they’re different.

• Love 4

I don't have a rosy view of these girls neither do I have negative view because I don't know them. Their religious and other views are as far from mine as they can be. But  I won't judge their personal relationships with their siblings, parents and spouses or their financial decisions. I am not privy to this information. 

Even though 21 is still way too young to marry in my opinnion, maybe Katie marying at 21 instead of 19 will start a trend of no more teenage brides.  One can only hope.

• Love 3

Well, part of the problem is that they are not allowed to date without purpose. So there's not much time in between "getting to know each other" and pestering for a ring. Especially when you've got a mother who makes it her job to pester for rings.

The boys seem to get a lot more freedom in dating without chaperones around...I really don't get it.

• Love 6
On 10/11/2021 at 11:02 AM, Peanut6711 said:

AMEN!  John (or any other of the fundie husbands) don't appear to have broken fingers.  They can make their own damn sandwich.  I've been a stay-at-home homeschool mom for years, and I've never gotten up to make my husband's lunch. He does it all on his own just fine. In fact, when we both worked outside the home, he often made my lunch too. Past time to let the traditional gender roles go into the trash with the prairie dresses.

Wasn’t it Michelle Duggar that said “Anyone can make him a sandwich!” meaning her job was to give him babies? Not make him lunch, lol. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 10/12/2021 at 11:44 AM, SongbirdHollow said:

Wasn’t it Michelle Duggar that said “Anyone can make him a sandwich!” meaning her job was to give him babies? Not make him lunch, lol. 

Yes, although her job was to make sure she to be "joyfully available", and then having the babies that come with that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

So Alyssa posted about her recent trip to Miami and all the visitors beforehand. KJ, Katie, Ellie, Addee, Carlin and Layla all came from Tennessee to pick up Katie’s wedding dress. Travis flew in for one day since it was Katie’s birthday. Then KJ, Carlin, Layla and Ellie flew back to Tennessee leaving Addee behind to babysit while Katie and Alyssa went to Miami. I think Up was filming the wedding dress stuff. Oh, Nordstrom is Alyssa and Katie’s new favorite store. They were in Miami about 48 hours and shopped or ate the whole time. Their hostess is seen briefly but just referred to as a friend. Pretty sure it’s Tikki, the sweet friend who sends Alyssa lots of outfits for the girls.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

Nordstroms? Wow, they sure have gone far from thrift store shopping. Sorry, I have a real job, etc, and can't afford Nordstroms. How do they?

They are small. Usually the clearance racks are heavily loaded with the smaller sizes. Maybe that's their secret? Katie said she didn't buy much but Alyssa filled her suitcase, including two new pairs of shoes. When they moved she seemed to have a lot of dress shoes for a stay-at-home mom.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

They are small. Usually the clearance racks are heavily loaded with the smaller sizes. Maybe that's their secret? Katie said she didn't buy much but Alyssa filled her suitcase, including two new pairs of shoes. When they moved she seemed to have a lot of dress shoes for a stay-at-home mom.

I don’t think they let us in on anything but carefully curated activities. We see a post or video but there are many more hours in their lives 

• Love 6

As much as I snark on them Alyssa's relationship with her grandparents is so sweet. She seems to love being at their house and seems so relaxed and at home there. John does too way more comfortable than he seems at G&K's house. Maybe it's just the fact that there's time to sit and talk with the grandparents and the grandparents seem like regular wise old people who probably have interesting stories and life advice, rather than say Kelly who spends her time screaming and squealing. And Mama Jane runs a tight ship - rather than the chaos and noise of G&K's house, where you visit and your kids get to enjoy the chaos of running with 50,000 cousins, but no one is really making time to sit and catch up just with you - bc here comes Law bursting thru the door w/ his latest story; omg here's Whit who I see daily but she's here; omg Carlin is pregnant; now Bradley or Carson want attention etc. 

I think they drove up this weekend. I wonder if they're staying this week and then driving her grandparents with them up to Nathan's wedding in Pa. and then driving them back down next Sunday on the way back to Florida. I assume the wedding is this weekend bc they said Oct wedding and Esther posted pics of getting their marriage license - and they're running out of weekends in Oct. That'd be 2 weeks off of work for John which is a long time for him - normally Alyssa just visits the grandparents alone and then sometimes John joins here just for the weekend; but he's said before that he can take no time off in the summer due to Fla HVAC season so it's likely he gets to compensate for that lack of time off in the fall/winter.

• Love 4

That makes sense. Jane and Bill are up there in age and may not be able to do a long road trip on their own. I can see Alyssa and John driving them, with the added bonus of spending quiet time on the farm. 

I think visiting TN is emotionally draining for Alyssa. I remember one episode where she flew home with the girls for some event (I can't remember which) and Kelly was barking orders at her the second she stepped through the door. I honestly couldn't function in a family like that. I'm all for celebrations, but practically every damn day is someone's birthday, anniversary, engagement, baby shower, wedding shower, wedding, gender reveal or pregnancy announcement. It has to be exhausting, especially for the members of the family who aren't extreme extroverts or attention whores. It also makes me wonder if that's part of the reason Erin's retreated and opted for a more toned-down life.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

That makes sense. Jane and Bill are up there in age and may not be able to do a long road trip on their own. I can see Alyssa and John driving them, with the added bonus of spending quiet time on the farm. 

I think visiting TN is emotionally draining for Alyssa. I remember one episode where she flew home with the girls for some event (I can't remember which) and Kelly was barking orders at her the second she stepped through the door. I honestly couldn't function in a family like that. I'm all for celebrations, but practically every damn day is someone's birthday, anniversary, engagement, baby shower, wedding shower, wedding, gender reveal or pregnancy announcement. It has to be exhausting, especially for the members of the family who aren't extreme extroverts or attention whores. It also makes me wonder if that's part of the reason Erin's retreated and opted for a more toned-down life.

Totally agree with you. Alyssa has always seemed quieter than the rest of her family. And it made me wonder if she intentionally picked a spouse who lived far away from the circus. Too far to travel for a day visit or dinner, etc.  And too far for her family to just 'drop by'. Which I'm sure they would if she lived a lot closer. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

So much of this seems to be driven by the show. Alyssa tends to visit when they're filming - probably because she has to visit some when they're filming in order to get $$ and also bc she's trying to become a YouTube and IG star and that's not going to happen if she's the forgotten sister who never appears on TV. But of course when they're filming UP wants/needs events; it's not exciting TV for Alyssa to drive up for 4 days and she's making popcorn with Gil and watching football with him while John naps in the recliner and then they sit around a bon fire at night - which is what she did with Papa Bill and Mama Jane this weekend. Instead it's better TV for Up when the whole family gathers - Alyssa comes to town; Law and Nathan bring their gfs - and there's a big family event. Cue the 50 thousandth - baby shower; pregnancy announcement; gender reveal; courtship announcement; engagement; wedding shower; wedding; I Love You Day; or Christmas. Cue Kelly hollering about OMG we have soooo much to do, we should have started 2 weeks ago, as they stay up until midnight decorating the same damn church hall for the 50 thousandth time or run off to Target and Hobby Lobby for last minute crappy decor or ponder how much chicken salad is needed to feed 100 people and rush to prep said chicken salad.

I mean I guess this could be avoided and she could get 1-2 quiet weekends with her family just catching up if she visited when nothing was going on. But reality is it's a 10 hr drive or fairly expensive flight for her + 3 kids/1 lap kid. She's expected to be in town for Christmas; I Love You Day; and probably like 2-3 other events/year; plus her family seems to come down to Fla in various combinations of people like 6 times/year at least. Given that she's already seeing them 10 times/yr, she's not adding another 1-2 visits involving a 10 hr drive/$$$ flights when nothing is going on just to catch up. And frankly there's no guarantee - she could go with the intention of catching up and OMG Carlin just got news from the high risk dr; Bradley and Carson are at the house being so adorable; OMG here's Whit at the house again . . . . Like there's no guarantee Kelly will ever ignore the daily chaos and give her the time of day. So I think she's prob like, I'm good - when I want that quiet family bonding time, I'm going to Papa Bill and Mama Jane.

In their IGs tonight, Josie was talking about driving thru the night Wed night to get to Pa; and Carlin and Whit also mentioned leaving in 2 days. Makes sense as it's probably a Thursday rehearsal dinner with a Friday wedding. Bet Mama Jane and Papa Bill are driving up with A&J - makes sense why they rented a car to go to South Carolina as I don't think they normally do that - but they probably rented an 8-10 person van.

Edited by cereality
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

While I'm sure she didn't get it at a thrift store for $25, I also doubt she paid full price. Do we know for sure it's not a knockoff?

I'm not going to criticize her for a bag. It's her money.

Are people forgetting that her father-in-law is a Congressman? Nice Christmas gift from the in-laws maybe?

• Useful 1
23 hours ago, cereality said:

So much of this seems to be driven by the show. Alyssa tends to visit when they're filming - probably because she has to visit some when they're filming in order to get $$ and also bc she's trying to become a YouTube and IG star and that's not going to happen if she's the forgotten sister who never appears on TV. But of course when they're filming UP wants/needs events; it's not exciting TV for Alyssa to drive up for 4 days and she's making popcorn with Gil and watching football with him while John naps in the recliner and then they sit around a bon fire at night - which is what she did with Papa Bill and Mama Jane this weekend. Instead it's better TV for Up when the whole family gathers - Alyssa comes to town; Law and Nathan bring their gfs - and there's a big family event. Cue the 50 thousandth - baby shower; pregnancy announcement; gender reveal; courtship announcement; engagement; wedding shower; wedding; I Love You Day; or Christmas. Cue Kelly hollering about OMG we have soooo much to do, we should have started 2 weeks ago, as they stay up until midnight decorating the same damn church hall for the 50 thousandth time or run off to Target and Hobby Lobby for last minute crappy decor or ponder how much chicken salad is needed to feed 100 people and rush to prep said chicken salad.

I mean I guess this could be avoided and she could get 1-2 quiet weekends with her family just catching up if she visited when nothing was going on. But reality is it's a 10 hr drive or fairly expensive flight for her + 3 kids/1 lap kid. She's expected to be in town for Christmas; I Love You Day; and probably like 2-3 other events/year; plus her family seems to come down to Fla in various combinations of people like 6 times/year at least. Given that she's already seeing them 10 times/yr, she's not adding another 1-2 visits involving a 10 hr drive/$$$ flights when nothing is going on just to catch up. And frankly there's no guarantee - she could go with the intention of catching up and OMG Carlin just got news from the high risk dr; Bradley and Carson are at the house being so adorable; OMG here's Whit at the house again . . . . Like there's no guarantee Kelly will ever ignore the daily chaos and give her the time of day. So I think she's prob like, I'm good - when I want that quiet family bonding time, I'm going to Papa Bill and Mama Jane.

In their IGs tonight, Josie was talking about driving thru the night Wed night to get to Pa; and Carlin and Whit also mentioned leaving in 2 days. Makes sense as it's probably a Thursday rehearsal dinner with a Friday wedding. Bet Mama Jane and Papa Bill are driving up with A&J - makes sense why they rented a car to go to South Carolina as I don't think they normally do that - but they probably rented an 8-10 person van.

Big goodbye story on Instagram today. Looks like Alyssa and John are not driving Mama Jane and Bill. The tearful goodbyes made it seem like they weren’t going to see them for ages but who knows.

• Useful 4