Type keyword(s) to search

Alyssa and John: Lunch with Lurch

• Start Topic

(edited)

Given the lack of cabinets and counter space a coffee bar will be useful, but a dinette set is needed too.  I still don't understand why they didn't buy a couple of extra cabinet boxes and extend the run along the back wall. There seems to be a lot of dead space in that kitchen.

ETA:  Alyssa posted some videos in her stories.  Both Lexi and Allie have learned to swim.  They are jumping off the side of the pool and aren’t afraid to get their faces wet.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 7

Perhaps if Alyssa wasn't so gluttonous about her shoes and clothes, they would have enouth money to purchase the furniture they need in that house. I have never seen so many shoes for one adult woman who claims to live 'frugally'.

• Love 9

What stuck out to me is that the rug under the table is too small. Once you pull a chair out and sit down, the chair will be half on and half off the rug (and with those style chairs, you’ll feel it).  And sorry, but I hate bench seating. I have a bad back and it’s so uncomfortable not to have back support. I guess she figures the kids will sit there 🙄

• Love 7

I don’t like the aesthetic. It looks like someone who’s trying to look sophisticated, but instead, lacks. She needs more panels and her accent wallpaper looks like it should go on another wall. Basically, it reeks of someone on a beer budget with champagne taste.  Not that there’s anything wrong with that, she just misses her mark.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, zenme said:

I don’t like the aesthetic. It looks like someone who’s trying to look sophisticated, but instead, lacks. She needs more panels and her accent wallpaper looks like it should go on another wall. Basically, it reeks of someone on a beer budget with champagne taste.  Not that there’s anything wrong with that, she just misses her mark.

Lmfaooo, it reminds me of a couple I know who maxed themselves out buying a ridiculous McMansion, and then filled it with Ikea furniture. The outside is gorgeous while the inside screams "starter apartment." 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Lmfaooo, it reminds me of a couple I know who maxed themselves out buying a ridiculous McMansion, and then filled it with Ikea furniture. The outside is gorgeous while the inside screams "starter apartment." 

I think that's exactly what this is. Lots of places in the house are still empty -- family room, rest of the kitchen etc. But the places that are furnished are totally Ikea type cheap furniture -- because she posts links to where she buys everything as her leg humpers are desperate to know where she buys all her stuff. The rug is from like rugs.com; the table is from some "furniture mart" type of place. The weird looking cart on the side with a few mugs/plates/cookie jars are all from places like Hobby Lobby, Home Goods etc. Like a grownup with money buys a sideboard/china cabinet, not a way too small bar cart for a formal dining room. They are furnishing their house as if they are playing house. Though I think that's basically what her sisters Erin/Carlin do as well -- cheap furniture with abundant amounts of crafts with cheesy sayings and wedding and family pics everywhere and then every few years you change out the cheesy crafts and wedding pics for different cheesy crafts and wedding pics, paint the crappy furniture and now you've "redecorated."

And I've never lived in Fla. but my understanding was even inside the house you get bugs due to the heat/humidity and bc of how much doors open and close with kids running to and from the pool; why would you be setting mugs and plates out in the open like that!?

J has said before that they both have trouble sticking to a budget and they both like to buy impulsively (I'm guessing clothes/shoes for A and the girls; and prob electronic gadgets for J) so I imagine if they have a goal of save $x for furniture in the next 3 months, that isn't happening as money is squandered on other things like random crafts and blowing up pictures of themselves to decorate.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 5
43 minutes ago, cereality said:

J has said before that they both have trouble sticking to a budget and they both like to buy impulsively 

Oh, wow, I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me. I couldn't believe the amount of crap they had in their garage when they filmed themselves moving from the old house. 

• Useful 1
(edited)

Alyssa and all 4 girls are in Tennessee.  They drove with her sister-in-law and nephew.  I guess John stayed behind to work.  I do give them credit- they don’t traipse around with no cares about missing work.  And driving was probably less expensive than a flight- only Maci flies for free now.

I’m guessing UP is filming a baby episode and wanted everyone there.  

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Regarding they way that they are furnishing their home, we have to remember that they are young. Alyssa is 26. When I was that age I was barely making ends meet. I certainly didn't have a home that I was buying.  They are probably just wanting to get some furniture in the house have have it look nice. Rome wasn't built in a day. 

• Love 11
(edited)
18 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Alyssa and all 4 girls are in Tennessee.  They drove with her sister-in-law and nephew.  I guess John stayed behind to work.  I do give them credit- they don’t traipse around with no cares about missing work.  And driving was probably less expensive than a flight- only Maci flies for free now.

I’m guessing UP is filming a baby episode and wanted everyone there.  

A&J have said before that John absolutely cannot and does not take time off in the summer because summer is primetime for HVAC in Florida. John has said very honestly that he works for his family's HVAC business but it is a small business and if someone calls you with an HVAC issue in heat of the summer and you can't get out a tech out there today/tomorrow, guess what they're moving on and calling another company and you lost that business. So they're very careful to have all their techs working all summer, working overtime, and not having them take time off for whatever they want to do with their families.

I feel like a couple summers ago Alyssa went up to the Carolinas to stay with her grandparents and ended up staying a few weeks w/ Grandma Jane/Papa Bill and John came up on like one random Sunday and that was it. It seems like the sons in law at least have some worth ethic.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 12
20 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Regarding they way that they are furnishing their home, we have to remember that they are young. Alyssa is 26. When I was that age I was barely making ends meet. I certainly didn't have a home that I was buying.  They are probably just wanting to get some furniture in the house have have it look nice. Rome wasn't built in a day. 

They also have four young children and will likely have more.  They don't need to buy a lot of expensive furniture for the kids to trash.  Alyssa at least didn't grow up with expensive furniture and knows how her siblings treated things.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Absolom said:

They also have four young children and will likely have more.  They don't need to buy a lot of expensive furniture for the kids to trash.  Alyssa at least didn't grow up with expensive furniture and knows how her siblings treated things.

I give the married daughters a little pass on their decorating. Most of us did our own experimenting with decor. We had dorm rooms in college or first apartments that were filled with hand me downs and rejects. I remember being so proud of my couch that I bought with my own money. It was white with splotches of pastels (hello 1990s). I had it for years until I was watching 16 & Pregnant and one of the parents of the teen mom had the same couch in her run down crack house looking trailer. I knew I had to get a new couch then. 

To me it speaks to this idea that these girls go from daughter to wife, lover, homemaker, decorator, cook, and mother all in the span of a year. Most of us went through experimental phases. These girls are suddenly allowed to dress how they want, have sex, kiss, go without chaperones, pick paint color and furniture, etc. They are going to make mistakes. So long as the mistakes are with fashion and decor, I'm cool. Just don't put anyone in danger. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

Video of Alyssa's visit to Tennessee.

Did she make that drive with four little kids by herself? Dang.

Her relationship with Gil is really cute. Their faces light up around each other. 

There's something about the way Alyssa speaks that puts me off. Can't think of a word to describe it. Carlin looks like she is getting thinner and thinner. In one shot her face looked gaunt. Her legs are so thin. Is she trying to be model thin for the boutique?

• Love 3
9 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

Video of Alyssa's visit to Tennessee.

Did she make that drive with four little kids by herself? Dang.

Her relationship with Gil is really cute. Their faces light up around each other. 

I think she drove at least part way with a sister in law from Florida and one nephew. They must have been going somewhere else in Tennessee cos we never see them in the video. I think I saw the SIL on Instagram story. I don’t think John’s family likes to be on YouTube. IIRC this was mentioned in the fixing up the house and moving videos. All the Bates were featured prominently but while John’s brother(s) we’re also there, they weren’t shown.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Alyssa and Maci were supposed to go to visit her grandparents in South Carolina last weekend, but in her weekly YouTube video she said that she cancelled at the last minute because "some kids in her family were sick” and she was worried about Maci catching whatever they had.  She did not name any names, and said it wasn’t serious.  It looked like Zach, Josie, Tori and Erin did not go, so I wonder who she was referencing.  Maybe cousins?  Layla was there but she was not sick.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Alyssa and Maci were supposed to go to visit her grandparents in South Carolina last weekend, but in her weekly YouTube video she said that she cancelled at the last minute because "some kids in her family were sick” and she was worried about Maci catching whatever they had.  She did not name any names, and said it wasn’t serious.  It looked like Zach, Josie, Tori and Erin did not go, so I wonder who she was referencing.  Maybe cousins?  Layla was there but she was not sick.

I saw this too and wondered who she meant. Maybe Jeb or Jud?  It seemed like Gil’s siblings and their families were there, so maybe someone from that group.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

In her vlog, Carlin said there were about 24 less people at the farm because of the sickness. That explains why things looked relatively peaceful and relaxing. Mama Jane must have been very happy.

I finally watched their YouTube video on the trip to the farm and she said it was one of the grandkids. So maybe Erin or Tori or Whit’s kids got it and it spread through those families. I think they live close together so if one of them had something, the rest would probably all get it too. The Balka family went to his family for the 4th, I think it was Kelton’s birthday Monday.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 7/10/2021 at 5:21 PM, ozziemom said:

I finally watched their YouTube video on the trip to the farm and she said it was one of the grandkids. So maybe Erin or Tori or Whit’s kids got it and it spread through those families. I think they live close together so if one of them had something, the rest would probably all get it too. The Balka family went to his family for the 4th, I think it was Kelton’s birthday Monday.

I hope it was nothing in Tori or Whit's families - bc those 2 idiots got together w/ Josie - to do a photo shoot w the 3 newborns with Willow (and I'm sure Tori and Whit's other kids) breathing all over the newborns. So yeah if Tori or Whit's families had any issues, those could now have been passed to Josie - who doesn't ordinarily see them as much - as she spent July 4 with the Balka side. Maybe it was Erin's family - though hope not there too - as didn't Erin have covid pretty bad last year so her kids got exposed then by just being in the same home.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 6/25/2021 at 3:46 PM, Dehumidifier said:

Carlin looks like she is getting thinner and thinner. In one shot her face looked gaunt. Her legs are so thin. Is she trying to be model thin for the boutique?

...or a model in general...or her own show...or her own make-up line....or a Fundie-Kardashian-type thing.

Any of the above.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2

We all know Alyssa loves her coffee, nothing wrong with that. But when she announced she was going to get coffee and then spend her day cleaning house/laundry, I assume McDs/Sbux etc. Nope instead she posts an IG video from a coffee shop with all 4 girls sitting inside with her. In Florida. With FOUR kids below vaccine age (not that they'd necessarily vaccinate even if they were eligible), no mask in sight for anyone, in a state that has 1 in 5 new U.S. cases. I wonder if A&J have a TV/turn on the news ever - even for 2 seconds here and there? Because she seems blissfully unaware. Like I know many people are just choosing to live their lives and that's fine but with her I wonder - is it a choice or does she literally not know any better because no one told her? I mean the youngest kid can't be more than 7 mos old as she was born this year + she declined to go to South Carolina with her due to some worries about illness, yet indoors in a coffee shop with strangers 2 weeks later is perfectly ok for that child??

• Love 5
1 hour ago, clueless101 said:

Why don't they ever hold Maci when they are giving her a bottle?  It's not like they are doing anything else when they are feeding her.  She's just on the floor with a bottle in her mouth.

I think that is dangerous for babies -- that they could aspirate the formula into their lungs.

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • Love 3

Just another SMH moment. I don't understand that either.  

The other day she put Maci in the pool in a floating ring.  Which I suppose would be fine except Alyssa was not in the pool.  She was standing on the edge and Allie was in the pool with Maci.  Admittedly Alyssa was holding on to the edge of the floatie, but still, too much risk. 

• Love 5

Yeah I saw that pool video and the whole time was thinking WTH!? Who puts a 5 month old in the pool with no adult in there!? I realized she was in a float but come on these are dollar store floats not US Naval Academy life vessels. Alyssa in full makeup and standing far enough away to not get splashed at the edge of the pool holding the float doesn't count as an adult in the pool with the kid. I guess she feels her 6 and 4 year old are "adult" enough to help an infant until she can jump in.

Honestly I think she's way too lax with the pool. I realize they have taken swimming lessons but they are only 6, 4, and 3. They seem to spend their days in the pool with Alyssa watching them from the patio - fully dressed, holding a baby, with no playpen or anything to put the baby in should she ever need to jump in. And I honestly don't believe that she never leaves them in the pool to run inside to change the baby's diaper or get her a bottle or whatever being like - oh it's ok I can see them from the kitchen window. I didn't grow up with a pool, maybe this is how it's done. But IDK I feel like I'd handle it like that when the kids were 12, 10, and 9 not at 6, 4, 3.

She's actually really lax on a lot of parenting. Meals are routinely a spread of crackers, cheese and fruit. She takes them out all over the place - coffee shops etc. indoors, no masks of course - during a pandemic when Orlando is one of the main places of concern in the country; I mean after years of not sending anyone to school THIS is the year she is sending them to a co-op one day a week to mix and mingle with other kids and their germs? I imagine a lot of this just comes from how she was raised. When you're 1 of 19 you're just roaming free and the only time anyone notices if you're gone is if a boy doesn't show up at a meal or a girl (esp Alyssa and Michaela) don't show up in time to start dinner. No one was ever watching them so she probably feels like she doesn't have to watch her kids the way modern parents do - yet G&K also didn't have the hazard of a pool . . . .

Edited by cereality
  • Love 8

I lurk on Reddit, and a lot of people have criticized Alyssa for treating Allie more like a nanny than a daughter. I haven't seen the video in question, but Alyssa on the patio while a six year-old is managing babies in the pool is on-brand with her style of parenting. 

• Love 5

I’m amazed that the home schooling consists of plopping the girls at a table facing the wall, headphones on and staring at a tablet. She talks about all the things she gets done while they are at school, so she’s not even in the room with them 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️ It also drives me crazy that Maci is always laying on the floor, Alyssa has bottle in one hand, phone in the other. Her girls seem to be props for her to dress up and post on SM.

1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I lurk on Reddit, and a lot of people have criticized Alyssa for treating Allie more like a nanny than a daughter. I haven't seen the video in question, but Alyssa on the patio while a six year-old is managing babies in the pool is on-brand with her style of parenting. 

Will have to look for that post/that video.

I do think she and John have REALLY painted Allie into the - mommy's little helper and will be SUCH a good wife and mommy herself - role because frankly it helps them since they choose to have a kid every 18 mos. Allie goes with it because she doesn't know any better and frankly what other positive attention is she really getting from her parents. It's not like they're going to gush about - OMG my 6 yr old LOVES to do science experiments, maybe she'll be an engineer or dr one day. But yeah I get the sense Allie spends a lot of time watching the 3 and 4 yr old so Alyssa can dress up the infant and put up videos of the girls on insta with the perfect music, showing how perfect their childhood and the summer is 🙄. I mean it's kind of bullshit that Allie shares a room with Maci!? IDK if Maci is still in J&A's room or not but reality is it's because they expect some help from Allie even at night -- if not right now, then in a few mos. Even kids who sleep thru the night will wake up randomly sometimes because they're teething or gassy or whatever. Sure A or J will come wandering in if it seems like she's crying a lot, but just a little fussing - oh Allie will rub her back until she falls asleep, she wouldn't bother mommy and daddy for that.

Uh -- she's SIX. She's a small child herself, should be in 1st grade, getting a good night's sleep, good food etc. Allie is also going to end up being the cook here -- give it another 2 years and they'll be gushing about how Allie LOVES to make dinner for them. Alyssa has shown that she has ZERO interest in cooking -- she'll feed them cheese and crackers or those prepared meals that are entirely too small for her giant manual laborer husband and he ends up running out to McDs or getting a pizza at night half the time. AND Alyssa grew up having to cook for 21 people/night, so to her NBD if Allie has to cook for a family of 6, it'll just teach her responsibility and prepare her to be a wife and mother some 12 years from now. 🙄

Alyssa's parenting style is very much what happens when you make your kids raise their siblings when they are just children themselves. They end up burnt out and then when they have their own kids, the cycle continues as soon as they can dump parenting, cooking, whatever on their oldest kids, they do it. Way to go G&K.

Edited by cereality

Alyssa is really molding Allie into the “eldest child who is responsible for her siblings” - we often see Allie helping in some way. Which isn’t necessarily bad, but the rationale for putting Maci and Allie in the same room (Lexi and Zoey are so close in age and Allie is a better sleeper) indicate Allie is the second Mommy.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Alyssa is really molding Allie into the “eldest child who is responsible for her siblings” - we often see Allie helping in some way. Which isn’t necessarily bad, but the rationale for putting Maci and Allie in the same room (Lexi and Zoey are so close in age and Allie is a better sleeper) indicate Allie is the second Mommy.

No it's bad. Allie is helping way too much. I was an older sister and I "helped" at young ages, but Allie is doing far more than I ever did.

The video with Maci in the floating ring was concerning to me. When she first put her in the ring Allie and another one of the girls were pulling on it and and the baby was crying and looked frightened probably because she felt insecure. All I could think of was if that ring float turns over even if Alyssa jumps in the pool she may not be able to get it turned upright and possibly not get the baby out from under the water. I thought it was an extremely dangerous thing to do. I wonder if Alyssa is a poor swimmer. Four little children, one an infant in a pool and the only adult is fully clothed and standing on the side. Not a good idea. 

Edited by 65mickey
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, 65mickey said:

The video with Maci in the floating ring was concerning to me. When she first put her in the ring Allie and another one of the girls were pulling on it and and the baby was crying and looked frightened probably because she felt insecure. All I could think of was if that ring float turns over even if Alyssa jumps in the pool she may not be able to get it turned upright and possibly not get the baby out from under the water. I thought it was an extremely dangerous thing to do. I wonder if Alyssa is a poor swimmer. Four little children, one an infant in a pool and the only adult is fully closed and standing on the side. Not a good idea. 

The whole pool situation is concerning. When they first moved in none of the girls could swim and always had floaties on. Apparently they went to swimming lessons but it’s hard to imagine that a few months would make them good strong swimmers. Watching 3 young kids in a pool is a lot and Alyssa never seems to be in the pool. She is either doing a workout or feeding Maci or something. She probably depends on Allie to watch the other two. 

• Love 4

Water safety with a six year old could be achieved in one summer.  Granddaughter did it at age 4.   She had three successive two week swim sessions and did two levels in the third session.  Admittedly she takes to swimming very easily. 

Although as my daughter said, water safety only meant she could be on the side of the pool instead of in the pool no more than an arm length away.  No one in our family would leave a child or children in a pool without an adult unless they had passed an approved swimming program to reach water safety. With three or more no sitting outside the pool until the youngest is at least around 5.  

• Love 5

Even if the kids themselves are great swimmers, they are only 3, 4, and 6. Sure they may instinctively know how to save themselves but it's not like 3, 4, and 6 yr olds are known for their judgment. Would Allie be expected to know what to do if a 3 or 4 yr old got a cramp or injured herself and couldn't swim? Would she be expected to pull them out? I mean if so then by all means sign her up to be a lifeguard at the local pool. 

I don't think they're cautious enough parents to have a pool. I mean when they moved in and the girls hadn't had swimming lessons yet, they'd throw some floaties on and let them be in the pool - sometimes John would be in there with them, but sometimes it was just Alyssa watching from the side baby in hand. John wanted a pool bc he grew up in Florida having one, but thing is John isn't home 40 hrs/wk to supervise this. And maybe his growing up with a pool was fine bc maybe his mother was more responsible/less lazy than Alyssa??

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Water safety with a six year old could be achieved in one summer.  Granddaughter did it at age 4.   She had three successive two week swim sessions and did two levels in the third session.  Admittedly she takes to swimming very easily. 

Although as my daughter said, water safety only meant she could be on the side of the pool instead of in the pool no more than an arm length away.  No one in our family would leave a child or children in a pool without an adult unless they had passed an approved swimming program to reach water safety. With three or more no sitting outside the pool until the youngest is at least around 5.  

Your daughter sounds far more sensible about the pool than Alyssa. Plus there are 4 Webster kids that are 6 and younger, that’s a lot to watch at once for one adult.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

Your daughter sounds far more sensible about the pool than Alyssa. Plus there are 4 Webster kids that are 6 and younger, that’s a lot to watch at once for one adult.

Thanks.  Yes, I was saying Alyssa has too many young children and even if the two older ones achieved water safety, she has too many too young to not be in the water with them and to make sure they all stayed in a small area.  

Oh and a six year old can learn enough water safety to rescue a one year old.  My older daughter (at age 6) dove in and pulled her one year old sister out when the escape artist unlocked the house door and made a run for the pool.  Imagine my poor mother who could not swim having to call me at work and confess she almost let my toddler drown?  New locks all around that evening.  

• Love 1

That is just dumb.  Why would a responsible parent do that? God forbid something happens and one of those children drowns. How traumatizing for the other siblings.  Please people! Having kids means you have to sacrifice and do things you don't wanna do, like getting in a pool even when you don't feel like it.  Raise your own damn kids, or don't have them. (rant over)

• Love 13
14 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Kids learning water safety is not a substitute for proper adult supervision. They’re just an accident waiting to happen. 

Really no one should swim alone, even an adult. I never go in my pool if my husband isn’t nearby.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Kids learning water safety is not a substitute for proper adult supervision. They’re just an accident waiting to happen. 

Between these people having a pool and Nathan and Law flying around their jalopy planes and doing the pre flight checks by pulling up on google what the pre flight check should be and following that and just taking off, to say nothing of how much the whole family has traveled, eaten indoors and wandered around unmasked during a pandemic (including Alyssa today taking the kids out to lunch indoors) - yeah I wonder WTH is wrong with their risk assessment!? This is also happens when you give kids zero education plus keep them separated from the world, they develop zero deductive reasoning.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, cereality said:

Between these people having a pool and Nathan and Law flying around their jalopy planes and doing the pre flight checks by pulling up on google what the pre flight check should be and following that and just taking off, to say nothing of how much the whole family has traveled, eaten indoors and wandered around unmasked during a pandemic (including Alyssa today taking the kids out to lunch indoors) - yeah I wonder WTH is wrong with their risk assessment!? This is also happens when you give kids zero education plus keep them separated from the world, they develop zero deductive reasoning.

It is a wonder that nothing catastrophic has happened to them so far which further reinforces that they have “special” protection from God. 

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

It is a wonder that nothing catastrophic has happened to them so far which further reinforces that they have “special” protection from God. 

Well, Kelly’s mother’s husband died of Covid, and Erin is evidently still not at 100% after her bout with long Covid, so I would hesitate to say nothing catastrophic has happened. 

But yes, their nonchalant attitudes about safety be it Covid, water safety, or flying are baffling to me.

• Love 6