Type keyword(s) to search

Tiny House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, debraran said:

Did I miss the place her children would sleep?

Yes, I wondered that too! The only thing that was mentioned about the baby was that the stairs were designed so she could carry him up the stairs safely. And her son has a desk to "work" on.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:57 AM, laredhead said:

Auntjess, my comment was about the show "you can't turn that into a house" or something to that effect.  It was an episode about 2 guys building a hunting camp out of a storage tank.

I thought the tank one was for the daughters and friends to hang out in, and it was with all the windows, but maybe it was vice versa.  I know one of the places got the ac that hangs on the wall.

6 hours ago, auntjess said:

I thought the tank one was for the daughters and friends to hang out in, and it was with all the windows, but maybe it was vice versa.  I know one of the places got the ac that hangs on the wall.

"Brothers Taimoor and Rehan find themselves in a hairy situation as they attempt to merge an old bison shed and a disused shipping container into one trendy two-story hangout for two teenage daughters. "

The tank was the first show which was a "hunting/camping" hangout.

The bus was the last one but they are making you pay for that one if you don't have a premium cable with FYI. The first two were free on site.

Kind of a cool concept but it also seems very expensive for what they get.

Edited by debraran

I usually change the channel when Tiny House Hunters comes on, but the last one I watched had these idiots who wanted 400-500 sq ft with two bathrooms. And the two bathrooms was apparently a mandatory thing because they couldn't share a bathroom. Really? You want a 2 bathroom tiny house because you can't share space? How are you going to survive in living in a tiny house at all? And how is it possible that there really are houses that small with two bathrooms? Why would you waste your limited space for a duplicate space that is not a bedroom?

• Love 14

KOAS my cable on demand has been very behind, showing certain HGTV shows a week or more after they show on air (instead of day after) but that one will be a first for me.  Maybe THH thought "we have had large appliances, tub, porch, "entertaining space" but not 2 bathrooms. lol

Somehow I had a family of 5 with 1 1/2 bathrooms(3 female/2 male) and it worked out and I grew up with one bathroom with 6.  A little hairy some mornings but we learned to toggle. Maybe that is why I find so many couples on any house show so annoying, the "I need" rather than "I want" .  And then they throw in some smart, normal couples or singles on all the shows to appease the ones about to never watch again. : )

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

What was with that recently divorced guy whose sister was obsessed with him dating again?  Every house they looked at, she was all "You can't bring a woman here!  What is a woman going to think of that composting toilet??"  IDK, maybe he just wants somewhere he feels comfortable living and  might need a break from being with someone for a while?

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Omeletsmom said:

What was with that recently divorced guy whose sister was obsessed with him dating again?  Every house they looked at, she was all "You can't bring a woman here!  What is a woman going to think of that composting toilet??"  IDK, maybe he just wants somewhere he feels comfortable living and  might need a break from being with someone for a while?

I don't know if that's an old one or new one (the one I watched last year had the guy tear up at the end) but there are women who wouldn't mind a composting toilet.  (I'm just not one of them) : )   I live in a city and there is a couple next door, they save water in barrels, grow their own vegetables, hang clothes, were in Peace Corps for few years, lived extremely simply. I hope he finds whatever makes him happy, if it's less, all the better

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2

Just saw an episode of one with two sleeping lofts opposite each other. One side is for the parents and the other is for their two sons (4 and 6 yo).

Were these two planning to never have sex again until the kids move out? Or were they still going to do it with the kids sleeping 10' away? Because if that's the case, they better be putting aside the money they saved on this thing for all the therapy the kids will need when they're older.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Tony said:

Just saw an episode of one with two sleeping lofts opposite each other. One side is for the parents and the other is for their two sons (4 and 6 yo).

Were these two planning to never have sex again until the kids move out? Or were they still going to do it with the kids sleeping 10' away? Because if that's the case, they better be putting aside the money they saved on this thing for all the therapy the kids will need when they're older.

Lol, even if it had a partial wall, but yeah, that's pretty open.  I saw an article on one of their first THN foundation homes built and it was a cool gothic house with plenty of closets, etc. but 2 lofts overlooking each other. Teen girl had a privacy curtain but said they were still working on "noise" issues. Being musicians that could be construed as musical but her face said more. : )  College is only 2 years away...

• Love 2

That's one of the reasons why I don't think THOWs are realistic for parents, there's no privacy. Due to an adult child moving in for the summer and taking over his bedroom, my 6 yo grandson and I spent 8 weeks living in my 12x20 living room. That has totally cured me of wanting a tiny house until I live alone. 

• Love 5

This house wasn't very realistic too with 2 homes/trailers, one for the kids, and now it's for sale.  https://tinyhouselistings.com/listing/omaha-ne-12-high-end-double-tiny-house/

150,000???

This one was on this year. Does anyone last in the "box" ?   Maybe why "where are they now" is not a popular option. https://tinyhouselistings.com/listing/southeastern-minnesota-12-modern-and-spacious/   

92,000    I can almost guarantee, that was not near the cost on the show.

Edited by debraran

Debraran, the reason given for the sale of the 2nd one you listed is they want to build something slightly smaller!  The one for sale is less than 400 sf.  I don't buy their reason for selling.  I think they got tired of living in a shoebox.  No thanks, I need my space for my stuff, so tiny house living isn't for me. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, laredhead said:

Debraran, the reason given for the sale of the 2nd one you listed is they want to build something slightly smaller!  The one for sale is less than 400 sf.  I don't buy their reason for selling.  I think they got tired of living in a shoebox.  No thanks, I need my space for my stuff, so tiny house living isn't for me. 

I agree, there are so many online for sale, right after show airs or even before. Kind of depressing for the people pushing the movement.

The smart tech house I was a little surprised at because all the cool gadgets they wanted, but again, maybe they thought resale would be better. (but still for sale)

And this one has been for many months.

Edited by debraran
On 8/24/2017 at 5:18 PM, debraran said:

I agree, there are so many online for sale, right after show airs or even before. Kind of depressing for the people pushing the movement

The homes are cute, but most purchasers have no idea what tiny living will be like--and they hate it. 

Which show is it where the host works with the buyers to help them pare down their stuff? Or sometimes he'll have them pretend to cook and eat a meal in a tiny space. 

IMO, would he should do is have them put a hot plate and one of those portable hospital commodes in their living room. Have one person take a crap while the other sautées onions and garlic. If after that, they still want to live tiny, I think they'll be okay. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, topanga said:

The homes are cute, but most purchasers have no idea what tiny living will be like--and they hate it. 

Which show is it where the host works with the buyers to help them pare down their stuff? Or sometimes he'll have them pretend to cook and eat a meal in a tiny space. 

IMO, would he should do is have them put a hot plate and one of those portable hospital commodes in their living room. Have one person take a crap while the other sautées onions and garlic. If after that, they still want to live tiny, I think they'll be okay. 

It's Tiny House Nation and yes, that sounds accurate. ; )  Really every home show seems to show chopping multi-colored peppers, must be a good look for the camera.

I think THN got to be a way to make money for some because they heard about the high interest in them. Interest yes, but not actually living in them full time. at least THOW. You need to be in certain areas to be legal and stay for more than 30 days. I just find it odd that they don't look at all the ones for sale even from the show, and think, "Maybe this isn't a good idea".  There were some built that were nice, couples were outdoorsy and liked being off grid but most were not like that and you could count the days it was going to be for sale. The funniest was the ad I saw saying he couldn't show pictures yet because the show hadn't aired.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I don't get tiny houses, or maybe it's the craze I don't get.  I watch "Tiny House, Big Living" and to me they look like regular small homes, nothing great about them.  I don't get why they have to be on wheels though.

I think for some, they have an idea of moving around, but usually you don't. Even travel bloggers have written that it was hard to find places to stay and being on the road a lot, gas is pricey and any tire damage, things like that. It can be fun if in the right mindset, but with kids? Zack Giffin, host of THN, said a lot park with friends or family but how many people will let that happen and how do they get electricity or places to dispose of waste in your backyard legally? A lot of questions and it varies state to state so I agree, smaller is nice, we all don't need mansions or can afford them, but the wheel aspect makes it very hard to insure and resell.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
On 8/29/2017 at 5:12 AM, debraran said:

Really every home show seems to show chopping multi-colored peppers, must be a good look for the camera.

Hadn't thought about it, but so true.  I wonder what percent of peppers  bought are for show.

On 9/4/2017 at 6:40 PM, Neurochick said:

I don't get why they have to be on wheels though.

Because they want to be "free of things,  and free to travel!"
If you haven't seen it, do watch the Australian one, the couple, then living with her folks, were looking for a t h. The husband HAD to have one that was portable, because he was planning to travel all over.
They finally bought one, with a cool pop-up he liked, and it was portable.
They sacrificed a bathroom and storage, because they ended up parking it in her folks back yard, and went back into the big house for bathroom and storage.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, auntjess said:

Because they want to be "free of things,  and free to travel!"
If you haven't seen it, do watch the Australian one, the couple, then living with her folks, were looking for a t h. The husband HAD to have one that was portable, because he was planning to travel all over.
They finally bought one, with a cool pop-up he liked, and it was portable.
They sacrificed a bathroom and storage, because they ended up parking it in her folks back yard, and went back into the big house for bathroom and storage.

But isn't that cheating?

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, topanga said:

But isn't that cheating?

Absolutely, but I found it hilarious.  "We want to be independent of mom & dad, and free to travel, but 'when's dinner?' and 'I'll leave our laundry in the hamper."

• Love 4
5 hours ago, auntjess said:

Absolutely, but I found it hilarious.  "We want to be independent of mom & dad, and free to travel, but 'when's dinner?' and 'I'll leave our laundry in the hamper."

They've have many do that,  "So and so is living on land on his friends farm etc or "so and so is living in her parents backyard "for now".  : )  I knew a young girl wasn't going to be using the composting toilet they would "get used too" when Mom and Dad were a 3 minute walk into the house.

I always wonder when a mobile store or even a home in a backyard need water, electricity or WiFi, do they just hook up for a while, will a city hook someone up to water if illegally parked or do they get tanks. so many questions with some that I wish were answered in the follow up shows. It's probably hard because laws vary so much but illegally splicing wires etc is always wrong and I wouldn't want to do that.

• Love 2

This was the last tiny house before Tiny House Nation ended last season.  For sale..shocker.

https://tinyhouselistings.com/listing/amador-county-ca-12-tiny-house-nation-tiny-house-for-sale-344-sq-ft-on-an-alpine-tiny-homes-trailer/

I remember this one earlier in the year. It had more storage than some but they all want 70,000 or more

https://tinyhouselistings.com/listing/wisconsin-12-rustic-tiny-house-for-sale-featured-on-tiny-house-nation/

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

OMGosh.  I came home early and ended up watching a bunch of these shows while doing other stuff. I wanted to slap all of these house hunters. It's a tiny house - you aren't going to be doing any large scale entertaining!  It's a tiny house - something's gotta give. Either you're not going to get full sized kitchen appliances, or you're going to sleep in a coffin over the living room, or you are going to have no space for clothes storage.  You want open shelves, but you want to tow the house around - there's no storage, where are you going to put all the shelf stuff when you're driving? And yes, it's going to be a pain and a half with little Hendrick (Hendricks?) running around the yurt.  I wanted to tell that woman that her sleeves were going to catch fire if she wasn't careful.

Something that just dawned on me as I watched these delusional people - are these places air conditioned? Where's the heating element (and don't tell me it's the wall mounted fireplace blasting hot air at face level. 

• Love 10
On 8/23/2017 at 6:27 PM, debraran said:

This house wasn't very realistic too with 2 homes/trailers, one for the kids, and now it's for sale.  https://tinyhouselistings.com/listing/omaha-ne-12-high-end-double-tiny-house/

150,000???

What? For Omaha??? I just looked at the listing. They must be nuts. I live in Iowa. I betcha the housing costs in Omaha and my part of Iowa are pretty similar. I got my 3 bdrm, 1800 sq ft, 3 bath, fireplace, 2 decks, full and finished basement, A/C and heat ('cause I'm still wondering how they manage that in a tiny house) for $142,000. No way on God's green earth would I spend that kind of money on a tiny house, even if it is actually 2 tiny houses - and I moved here from Seattle, so I know from overpriced housing.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, aliya said:

What? For Omaha??? I just looked at the listing. They must be nuts. I live in Iowa. I betcha the housing costs in Omaha and my part of Iowa are pretty similar. I got my 3 bdrm, 1800 sq ft, 3 bath, fireplace, 2 decks, full and finished basement, A/C and heat ('cause I'm still wondering how they manage that in a tiny house) for $142,000. No way on God's green earth would I spend that kind of money on a tiny house, even if it is actually 2 tiny houses - and I moved here from Seattle, so I know from overpriced housing.

According to these tiny house hunters, your house would be "too big" with "too much" space.  It "wouldn't bring the family closer" and it would be "too much responsibility" and would hold "too much stuff."  And worst of all, it would have a real bathroom and would be hooked to legit utilities!

• Love 7

Many of the tiny homes use a wood burning or propane stove, some have heating/cooling units on the wall. One builder commented on FB that the stove in a promo was too close to other things, for safety reasons but since most aren't regulated by codes, it's a free for all.

One thing I noticed when I first binge-watched a bunch of TH shows in the winter last year, in many of the followups, there were many fans in the background. One steampunk tiny house had 2 in her sons loft and one downstairs on kitchen counter and one in living room (small) I think it was HOT.  Even on some TH Listing ads, you see fans and ceiling fans in the loft. All those windows don't help if it's baking outside and as one husband said to the "air ventilation" comment from the realtor,re windows, "that only works if there is a breeze".  He was thinking. I've seen a few, longer tiny homes with a real bedroom on the first floor with closet and a door!! They might have one loft for storage or that guest they don't really like : ) One guy who built it himself had large closet and shelves on both sides of the bed and underbed storage. He was the only THOW person I thought meant to live in their home, he said he needed hanging storage and a place to put vacuum and sports equipment.

How a family of 2 or more can live in a THOW with no storage except for pans is beyond me. Minimal still means you wear a jacket or hat and boots and other practical items.  You don't need a high IQ for this, just common sense.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, aliya said:

Something that just dawned on me as I watched these delusional people - are these places air conditioned? Where's the heating element (and don't tell me it's the wall mounted fireplace blasting hot air at face level. 

We have a 32 foot sailboat that has heating and air conditioning - the unit is in a locker in the cockpit and comes in through a vent in the galley wall. Keeps us cool in the summer and warm in cooler weather.

I can't watch this show - I think they're all idiots.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, izabella said:

According to these tiny house hunters, your house would be "too big" with "too much" space.  It "wouldn't bring the family closer" and it would be "too much responsibility" and would hold "too much stuff."  And worst of all, it would have a real bathroom and would be hooked to legit utilities!

And gee, I thought I got a townhouse condo so my house wouldn't be too big and wouldn't encourage me to get too much stuff and live beyond my means. : )  I guess I'll need to work on getting my mind right.

• Love 5

Watching a rerun of Phoenix couple with two young kids looking for a tiny house. Dad doesn't care for the pull-down desk in the kitchen because "It's in the kitchen ... I need to be away from the kids and their noise when I'm working."  O-kay. How far away do you need to be, you dope? Because you LITERALLY can't get farther away than maybe 6 or 8 feet. 

• Love 9

Couple looking to downsize in Tampa for 85,000.  They had 1 child and mom gave up job as librarian to stay home. They realized they saw their daughter about 2 hours a day. Seeing some homes in Tampa and Keys lately, filmed obviously much earlier did bring the reality of the weather to the front, especially lower Florida.

The first place was cute, loft bedroom that was spacious and *gasp* they didn't consider the daughter up there.  (I've seen that with much younger kids than 8) I see my daughter's table from Ikea in about 3/4 of these shows in the kitchen. It is a cute folding table . This was over budget but no mention of negotiation is ever made.

The second "carriage house" was also nice, and when the husband said, the kitchen was a "little tight" he immediately followed up with, "It's to be expected". I was thinking can we clone them?  AND he asked at one point where the hanging storage was after seeing a cubicle storage area. They used 500 sq feet well.  It wasn't made for more than a couple though since the only bathroom was off the master bedroom.

The last one they lost me.....it was by the water and was 200 sq feet (THOW are bigger) but beach property is high at so at 85,000 it buys this. Bathroom outside in another building...no way. lol  And the tub seemed filthy. They were beyond nice in their comments which actually seemed odd by the end.

And then the surprise....they chose that. No way. My husband is like, "That will do them in"  Lofts that have no privacy overlooking each other and no windows up there. The place didn't seem safe to me the way it was set up...almost like a huge shed someone renovated.  They did seem at first like a normal couple and I hope the storm didn't wipe out this tiny home but it sucked me in as a good show and I still left shaking my head at the end.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

Debraran, thank you for the explanation on the Tampa episode.  I don't record this show anymore because I got tired of watching people try to shoehorn 2,000 sf of stuff/wants/must haves into 400 sf or less of space.  The last couple of minutes of the episode were picked up before the next program began and I saw the part where the husband was walking outside to enter the bathroom.  I thought, OMG, they have now graduated to glorified outhouses.  Then they showed the loft areas and I agree that these places do not look safe in case of fire.  My claustrophobia would prevent me from ever considering living like this by choice.

• Love 5

Omaha Nebraska, looking for 800 sq feet, 275000 budget. I was shocked in Nebraska, you'd pay that much for such a small space! 390,000 for 1000 sq feet?  I live in CT and we have much larger for that amount near large cities. The typical, "want to go small but complain how 3 girls are going to fit in one bedroom or one bath" Duh, it' was YOUR idea, it's been done, either embrace it or don't make yourself seem dense on the air. At least the husband was sensible. I know people are more spoiled today, but I grew up with 3 siblings and one bathroom, it worked with timing and some arguing but even with 1 1/2 and 3 kids later in my family, that happened but it worked.  Other than showering and shaving, we did hair in our room with a vanity mirror or full length mirror, more comfortable. Makeup too, bathroom was too steamy.

They got a 2 bedroom, 2 bath for 275,000. Cute house but I think a lot for the space.

• Love 1
On 9/4/2017 at 6:40 PM, Neurochick said:

I don't get tiny houses, or maybe it's the craze I don't get.  I watch "Tiny House, Big Living" and to me they look like regular small homes, nothing great about them.  I don't get why they have to be on wheels though.

I am with you.  I live outside of Detroit and they have been building tiny homes for homeless and less fortunate folks.  They are built on a foundation.  Now this movement I understand.  From what I understand the homes built on trailers need to be light and because they are built light they only have about a 15 year life.  What good is that?  My friend lives in a small house, it's about 450 sq. ft and is very well designed.  It's on a foundation with a crawl space and is on a lot and 1/2.  She has plenty of room to add on but she loves her house.  I do too.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

I am with you.  I live outside of Detroit and they have been building tiny homes for homeless and less fortunate folks.  They are built on a foundation.  Now this movement I understand.  From what I understand the homes built on trailers need to be light and because they are built light they only have about a 15 year life.  What good is that?  My friend lives in a small house, it's about 450 sq. ft and is very well designed.  It's on a foundation with a crawl space and is on a lot and 1/2.  She has plenty of room to add on but she loves her house.  I do too.

My friend has 700 sq feet foundation home with shed and crawl space. It's nice, 2 bedroom and fine for her and her cat or if her sister moves in later.  There are many cottages and small homes that are wonderful, but "on wheels" is usually not legal, has so many more safety issues in general, (not to mention in storms)and they have bad resale value. I understand with the lack of codes for safety why some towns don't like them. You can have a fire or other issue that effects those around you. I've seen contractors comment on seeing videos of homes where the heat source seemed very unsafe, the lack of exits, the lack of fresh air up in the lofts or the home. 

If you like that way of living, fine, but look into it very hard before plunking down 50,000 or more for something that may not be able to be insured, sold or taken with you many places.

• Love 2

I read about one tiny home community for the homeless where each home really was just a sleeping space, storage and maybe a 1/2 bath, about 120 sq. feet.  What struck me the most was an older woman, mid-50ish, who commented about how much better she felt, physically and mentally, because she could sleep soundly since she had a door she could lock.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

I read about one tiny home community for the homeless where each home really was just a sleeping space, storage and maybe a 1/2 bath, about 120 sq. feet.  What struck me the most was an older woman, mid-50ish, who commented about how much better she felt, physically and mentally, because she could sleep soundly since she had a door she could lock.

Zack Giffin is trying to help a lot with vets and I think that work is so much more important than making homes for people who want to be on TV and have it for sale within months on tiny house listings.  It is very good for your soul and well being to be in a home, no matter how small. One guy they made a home that had calming colors and was quiet since loud noises startled him, he was so grateful, not being able to work after coming home from Afghanistan.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, debraran said:

What struck me the most was an older woman, mid-50ish, who commented about how much better she felt, physically and mentally, because she could sleep soundly since she had a door she could lock.

How sad is that.  So many entitled millennials demanding their 5 bedroom, 4000 squaire foot homes with separate playrooms and offices and there people out there grateful for a tiny place with a door.  What a world in which we live.

• Love 5
On 11/18/2017 at 7:25 PM, Kohola3 said:

How sad is that.  So many entitled millennials demanding their 5 bedroom, 4000 squaire foot homes with separate playrooms and offices and there people out there grateful for a tiny place with a door.  What a world in which we live.

Agreed.  I am sure that if one of those millennials became homeless and were so for years, they'd feel the same way about getting a tiny home with a door.

On 8/16/2017 at 1:20 PM, Omeletsmom said:

His name was Gerald 2.0 or somesuch.  And the sister had a point.  With a litter box and 2 feet of headroom in the sleeping loft, this poor schmuck ain’t never having sex again.  Unless he rents a hotel room and pays someone.  What an awkward dweeb who seemed obsessed with having a human litterbox.   

• Love 2
On 11/18/2017 at 7:25 PM, Kohola3 said:

I don't think it is the millennials.  All the kids that I know that are millennials are choosing smaller homes and making sure to do each room for multiple functions.  Even buying a house is not something a millennial is eager to do.  People in their late 30s and 40s seem to be the ones buying the palaces.  My eldest niece who is 37 bought a home with 5 bedrooms and 2.5 baths but they saved for years and bought a home during the market drop.  Her brother bought a much smaller home and is not planning on having as many children as his sister.  He is 27.  He is a millennial.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 6

People in their late 30s and 40s seem to be the ones buying the palaces.  

That may be true in reality but the ones we are seeing on HH are younger.  Which begs the question - where are they getting the $$$$.

• Love 2

I see a lot of people in their 20's  on these shows, especially HH, sometimes they say they met in college, after so many years, looking for first home. I don't understand in this so called horrible economy how so many young couples and singles ( not in tech or MD's) are able to look at 300-400,000 homes.  I can only think that they had trust funds or inheritances or help from parents. It never was a mystery to me how so many lost homes in the past with such huge mortgages.

I was an anomaly years ago, 20, when I told the bank, one salary for mortgage and that's it. You can approve us for both but I'm budgeting on one. Best advice my Mom gave me. Trouble hits, you might lose some things but home will be okay. I bought an older home, nice neighborhood but not what my ideal would have been. I never regretted it and when I had my son and then twins, was happy I could take time off from work and work part time for a while.

I know it's fake, but the heavy emphasis on extras in the home, the third bath, etc. seems so shallow to me but to some it's what they need to feel okay. I think THH and THN sprang in popularity at first because it went the other way. That said, many got bigger and bigger and sometimes they joined 2 tiny homes together, so it is hard in reality to find that happy medium.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, debraran said:

I don't understand in this so called horrible economy how so many young couples and singles ( not in tech or MD's) are able to look at 300-400,000 homes.

I can only assume that they are "house poor" and cannot dine out, go to shows, or travel because all of their income goes into the mortgage payments and the enormous loans they took out for furnishings.  I bet they don't have a penny saved toward retirement.

Back in bad times, I knew people who sunk every penny into a McMansion that was essentially empty with a couple of pieces of furniture in the living room and bedroom. They lived like that for years because their paychecks went to cover the enormous mortgage.

5 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I can only assume that they are "house poor" and cannot dine out, go to shows, or travel because all of their income goes into the mortgage payments and the enormous loans they took out for furnishings. 

Oh no, they still do all that, just put it on credit cards, like those are magical sources of unlimited funds.  Each month, every penny of their - not insubstantial, mind you - income goes towards a bloated mortgage and an incomplete payment of their credit card bill.  Lather, rinse, repeat, and they never wind up with any savings and are up shit creek when they retire, but, hey, they kept up with the Joneses and never delayed gratification.  Winning!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh no, they still do all that, just put it on credit cards, like those are magical sources of unlimited funds.  Each month, every penny of their - not insubstantial, mind you - income goes towards a bloated mortgage and an incomplete payment of their credit card bill.  Lather, rinse, repeat, and they never wind up with any savings and are up shit creek when they retire, but, hey, they kept up with the Joneses and never delayed gratification.  Winning!

That reminds me a scary call I overheard when I worked at in a rich area at a community center. The woman who looked well off and lived in a high end area kept giving credit card numbers to someone and they seemed at capacity (back when they didn't keep raising them) Another rich woman (who technically wasn't ) told me she always maxed out her credit cards, if her husband left her, they were in his name. I guess for some, being part of clubs, golf, beach, etc and to keep up with trips other do in their circle, takes a toll on finances.

I remember a hushed conversation with a child who wanted to play with mine at their home, (my kids would come because working there they got free pool time) She said I didn't do the things they did and being friends would hard. I knew she meant she would be going to Spain and I wouldn't, she'd get in beach club and I couldn't, the list goes on, but I never sincerely felt happier. I never saw joy working there, just stress so it wasn't attractive. : )

I don't want a tiny house but I don't want those huge mansions either, just safe, comfortable and low maintenance.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

I have a friend who is a long time realtor, and she tells me that she has seen many a McMansion house owned by young buyers, that is very sparsely furnished and the furniture many times looks like they brought it with them from their dorm rooms.  Those are the ones she advises showing empty because the bad and very little furniture makes the house interior look bad.  House poor.

• Love 1