Type keyword(s) to search

Tiny House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, laredhead said:

I have a friend who is a long time realtor, and she tells me that she has seen many a McMansion house owned by young buyers, that is very sparsely furnished and the furniture many times looks like they brought it with them from their dorm rooms.  Those are the ones she advises showing empty because the bad and very little furniture makes the house interior look bad.  House poor.

Yes, I work with people who had to have "huge" and some young couples that took their parents old cape cod or even a condo and are happy. I don't get the huge, never did, it's cold to me and requires help to keep things running smoothly, but if you have a secure job, and like it, it's your call. I saw most foreclosures in rich areas from business positions, certain wall street jobs, others that were doctors, lawyers, they lost them in divorces, not so much, not having even income.

One wife told me her husband would go to work in NYC and always buy her the best clothes, shoes, etc. and she didn't know how bad things were getting until he suggested they downsize a bit, that spiraled to divorce and new homes years later. He always had to keep up with others, the huge house, yard, best food, best grill, watch, kids schools, etc. How exhausting to spend every moment of your lives trying to be accepted by a group of people just like you.

So how to you counteract that, you buy a huge shoe box, fill it with furniture that folds down, a composting toilet and you are guaranteed no one will stay long or try to compete with your lifestyle.  : )

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

Southern New Hampshire

I rarely watch this show, but was glad I caught this one. She wanted a tiny house. He wanted a smaller place with a foundation. They bypassed the standalone tiny home and the house boat and purchased the 470 square foot condo. This is the first time I've seen something that I would find livable. They renovated the place and now have a nice studio apartment. No climbing ladders, scrunching into showers, unfolding furniture to create a bed.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, mojito said:

Southern New Hampshire

I rarely watch this show, but was glad I caught this one. She wanted a tiny house. He wanted a smaller place with a foundation. They bypassed the standalone tiny home and the house boat and purchased the 470 square foot condo. This is the first time I've seen something that I would find livable. They renovated the place and now have a nice studio apartment. No climbing ladders, scrunching into showers, unfolding furniture to create a bed.

Yes, that one surprised me, I didn't have a clue what they would pick but the tiny house on wheels was way too small.  They did a nice job with renovation whether to live in or rent. I don't think they ever said they sold the other house.

I hope they have more normal situations and not fitting 5 in a 300sq ft home.  I do like to see how they organize things.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, auntjess said:

One thing about a big house I'd hate, is all the cleaning.
If you can't afford Molly Maid, think of all the work those sweeping staircases, and huge bathrooms, will take.

I said that to my mom as a kid with castles. She told me I'd need a lot of help if I had Cinderella's castle and I'm like "I don't want people I don't know in my home. I still find it odd that people have help putting away their clothes, people cleaning while they watch TV. I guess you get used to it, but I'd rather have someone come once in a while but not daily and certainly not living with me.  As much as many families used to tell me "they were family" to them, they weren't and vacations they went on was work, birthday parties were work, it was usually all work.

4 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I've had a cleaning service come every 2 weeks...

When I was working 60 hour weeks, I had a house cleaner and loved it as well.  Came home to everything sparkling.  No more, can't afford it!

• Love 1

The prices have gone up and not so much salaries. I would love someone to do the floors and high things every month, I'm always in a hurry but don't get it done as well as someone else would. (my mom would point out but she was at home all day) Living with me though, no, like my "bubble" and privacy with family. : )

On 12/22/2017 at 5:04 PM, chessiegal said:

I HATE housecleaning. I've had a cleaning service come every 2 weeks for 25 years now. Love it.

My neighbor is the same way - has had a service for years.  She cuts back in other areas, she hates cleaning.  It is a wish of mine......sigh.  Someday!

• Love 1
On 11/18/2017 at 2:04 PM, Mittengirl said:

I read about one tiny home community for the homeless where each home really was just a sleeping space, storage and maybe a 1/2 bath, about 120 sq. feet.  What struck me the most was an older woman, mid-50ish, who commented about how much better she felt, physically and mentally, because she could sleep soundly since she had a door she could lock.

I read about a tiny house community for (formerly) homeless people in Seattle who have little houses about 100 square feet, and communal kitchen facilities and a communal bathroom where you sign up for your 20-minute block of time to take a shower.  One person pointed out the value of having a secure place to leave her stuff during the day while she looks for work

There hasn't been any new shows in a long time, I know THN went to the Philippines and Zack Giffin was helping vets build small homes in various areas giving, workshops, etc.  With so many on tiny house listings within days or hours of airing show, I wonder if they will continue or at least try something a little different with picking out participants.

I put tiny house nation in a search on listing site and got quite a few still and some don't use the name in listing so there are more. A few have used youtube or Ebay even.

https://tinyhouselistings.com/tiny-houses-for-sale/?fwp_keyword=tiny house nation

Edited by debraran

It's been a while but I was recently thinking about these shows and how they follow the same script as "Regular" House Hunters with people going on and on about room for entertaining and guests. Well, I’m sorry, but if you have a tiny house, so you won’t have guests to consider. So quit worrying about what you will do with “guests”. No one is staying with you and using your composting toilet. No one! 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, msani19 said:

It's been a while but I was recently thinking about these shows and how they follow the same script as "Regular" House Hunters with people going on and on about room for entertaining and guests. Well, I’m sorry, but if you have a tiny house, so you won’t have guests to consider. So quit worrying about what you will do with “guests”. No one is staying with you and using your composting toilet. No one! 

I had to laugh when watching "This is Us" show, a couple was watching THH and they were making fun of them wanting a hot tub in a tiny home. I guess it's the show people love to hate even on TV dramas . ; )

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, debraran said:

I had to laugh when watching "This is Us" show, a couple was watching THH and they were making fun of them wanting a hot tub in a tiny home. I guess it's the show people love to hate even on TV dramas . ; )

Oh, that's funny! 

• Love 1
On 1/18/2018 at 4:37 PM, msani19 said:

This is why I want one. Although, I want one on a foundation with a flush toilet. I want enough room to have 4 people comfortably eat dinner & sit in the living room to visit, but I don't "entertain" and I hate having overnight company.

• Love 1

It's been a long time since I've seen any of the shows. I wonder if they ran their course, at least "on wheels" I think nice smaller homes for many will always be needed although seeing a guy buy a literal garage in San Francisco for 500.000 is hard to watch  ; )

On 1/18/2018 at 6:37 PM, msani19 said:

That's how I feel watching these shows. Watching them go on and on about how they NEED space to entertain and they love to entertain. Why F are you buying a tiny home then? I don't like entertaining and still wouldn't want to live in a shoe box without a working toilet. Also if I knew anyone with a tiny home I would not be sleeping on hammock suspend from the ceiling or under the stairs or wherever their "second" bed is. I'd tell them I'll just go to a hotel. For me living in a tiny home is for someone that never wants anyone to come over or stay at their house. 

I'm even more surprised with the ones with kids with a loft across from the parents. Are they planning on never having sex again? There is no privacy in those things. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

That's how I feel watching these shows. Watching them go on and on about how they NEED space to entertain and they love to entertain. Why F are you buying a tiny home then? I don't like entertaining and still wouldn't want to live in a shoe box without a working toilet. Also if I knew anyone with a tiny home I would not be sleeping on hammock suspend from the ceiling or under the stairs or wherever their "second" bed is. I'd tell them I'll just go to a hotel. For me living in a tiny home is for someone that never wants anyone to come over or stay at their house. 

I'm even more surprised with the ones with kids with a loft across from the parents. Are they planning on never having sex again? There is no privacy in those things. 

Or having sex and not caring?? Yuck. One teen made a comment about privacy issues once, when they did the "2 month later part" she was across from parents with a part half wall on one side . I thought at the time, she meant her privacy, but maybe not.

I know composting is fine for some, but I would feel very uncomfortable at a small tiny house party going to the bathroom and using sawdust to cover my waste or cleaning the other type because they say you need to if you miss.  No thank you, no food or drink is worth that.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

"Why don't you kids take a walk around the block?"

Gives new meaning to the word "quickie".

• Love 1

Not even sure where to put this, but I saw an episode of something called 'Tiny Paradise' last night. My channel guide shows it as 'season 2', so this apparently has been on for awhile? It was set in the desert someplace, my impression was it was not overseas, but I missed that part. 

Anyway it featured some hippy dippy woman who spent the half hour in garish yoga leggings, a cami, a flowing head scarf and boots. She put 2 tiny houses together, which seemed like cheating to me! She also made a big deal out of having a 'tiny cat palace' built for the 3 week old kitten which had been unlucky enough to be 'rescued' by her. The house was covered with murals which made it look like a stranded DeadHead van.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

was set in the desert someplace, my impression was it was not overseas, but I missed that part. 

It was in Joshua Tree. There have been episodes in other countries. I like this show more than the other tiny home shows because they have tended to be more interesting. 

I thought the technique for painting the countertops was interesting. Her style is definitely not mine but I thought it was well done and for her.

• Love 1

Why do those featured on the Tiny House shows seem to have multiple pets, large pets or large collections?  Just seems suspect to me. This guy had a Great Dane, who liked to sleep with his master, and a motorcycle that he wanted to park inside the tiny house. Oh, and he worked from home so needed a work station.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Why do those featured on the Tiny House shows seem to have multiple pets, large pets or large collections?  Just seems suspect to me. This guy had a Great Dane, who liked to sleep with his master, and a motorcycle that he wanted to park inside the tiny house. Oh, and he worked from home so needed a work station.  

I thought they said he was an attorney. Guess I misheard. I kept wondering about that when he kept mentioning a workspace. Can’t motorcycles be towed on a trailer?

On 12/18/2017 at 6:47 PM, debraran said:

I was an anomaly years ago, 20, when I told the bank, one salary for mortgage and that's it. You can approve us for both but I'm budgeting on one. Best advice my Mom gave me.

That is the same advice my parents gave us and we are giving our kids.  We go a step further and put only 1 name on the first house because you get to keep, tax free, the entire profit of a sale of 1 house in your lifetime.  Usually when you have kids you might want a bigger house or better location so the other persons name goes on that house.  I would say the lower income on the first house and the higher income on the second house.  A friendly prenup in case of divorce can take care of profits in a marital split.

• Love 1
On 8/25/2018 at 10:16 AM, sempervivum said:

Not even sure where to put this, but I saw an episode of something called 'Tiny Paradise' last night. My channel guide shows it as 'season 2', so this apparently has been on for awhile? It was set in the desert someplace, my impression was it was not overseas, but I missed that part. 

Anyway it featured some hippy dippy woman who spent the half hour in garish yoga leggings, a cami, a flowing head scarf and boots. She put 2 tiny houses together, which seemed like cheating to me! She also made a big deal out of having a 'tiny cat palace' built for the 3 week old kitten which had been unlucky enough to be 'rescued' by her. The house was covered with murals which made it look like a stranded DeadHead van.

I may have seen part of that. Did she have 2 female friends who came by to look at the house? Friends with names like Dragonfly or some such nonsense? I'm an old hippy dippy person myself (law school cured me of that) and have some tolerance for this this foolishness, but good lord, I couldn't turn the channel fast enough. How do people live like this?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, aliya said:
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:16 AM, sempervivum said:

I may have seen part of that. Did she have 2 female friends who came by to look at the house? Friends with names like Dragonfly or some such nonsense? I'm an old hippy dippy person myself (law school cured me of that) and have some tolerance for this this foolishness, but good lord, I couldn't turn the channel fast enough. How do people live like this?

This was a while ago now, but yes, I think she did have 2 'admirers' there in addition to the construction guys. I'm old enough to relate to the hippy thing but it seemed like this woman would have been lost the minute the visitors left- she struck me as quite the attention hog.

• Love 1

I was thinking about this show today and was kind of missing it. I always liked it better than Tiny House Nation.  I think it's been in my mind off and on lately because of the Tiny House Nation commercials that were running on different Pluto TV channels for a while. I preferred watching people looking for tiny homes instead of hearing about the lack of stainless steel appliances and granite countertops on the regular House Hunters.

• Like 1

I haven't seen any new ones but I get my "fix" from 2 great youtube shows on tiny homes. There are more but Brice's and the other are great. These are actual people who live and built many of the homes they are in. They are in great locations many times, and sometimes they revisit to see what they did. They have tiny home communities, places all over the US and other parts of the world and show people young and older. Such ingenuity and wonderful ideas! TNN was fake in a way, so many were up for sale before show aired or soon after. Complaints came from some even some foundation homes turned into airbnb's soon after. That is person's choice of course, but I love that these couples, families and singles just embrace the lifestyle.

Brice's show is

https://www.youtube.com/c/livingbig

Jenna's

https://www.youtube.com/c/TinyHouseGiantJourney