Type keyword(s) to search

Tiny House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, debraran said:

I just watched the show with the beer/bike enthusiast and thought he did a great job with his home, much better than the originals they showed him. I felt like his friend, a composting toilet isn't attractive option when friends come over to eat/drink, but all in all, he has a nice home. I like the mini loft over the goose neck, more head room and storage underneath.

Amazing what you can learn if you are inclined that way and I like how he used reclaimed materials to save money.

Yes, I liked him too and the "bedroom" in the goose neck. 

The Maine-to-Bozeman couple were OK, but that second house they looked at, which was about 140 square feet, was ridiculously too tiny. Even the other two houses were small for two people. 

On 5/16/2017 at 3:26 AM, debraran said:

I just watched the show with the beer/bike enthusiast and thought he did a great job with his home, much better than the originals they showed him. I felt like his friend, a composting toilet isn't attractive option when friends come over to eat/drink, but all in all, he has a nice home. I like the mini loft over the goose neck, more head room and storage underneath.

Amazing what you can learn if you are inclined that way and I like how he used reclaimed materials to save money.

I agree.  The models he was shown were totally ridiculous.  For his needs, what he built was perfect.  He had space for his bikes, he didn't have a loft and the use of the gooseneck for the sleeping area was genius. At first I thought he was going to be a pain about stairs but eliminating them allowed for his brew area, which made sense. 

The tiny little home the Maine to Bozeman couple looked at was beyond ridiculous.  It was a box.  Come on.  I thought it was funny that one comment the husband made was about so much wood in one of the models and their finished product had wood EVERYWHERE.  Too dark for my taste.

Funny how I thought the beer/bike enthusiast would go way too modern for me but I ended up liking how his interior turned out.  And yes, definitely loved his used of reclaimed materials. 

I thought the "finished product" pricing on all of the model homes were ridiculously overpriced. 

• Love 2

Tin House Texas, couple with 4 year old daughter. What I don't get is why they want to do it and then they say, "I don't know how we are going to fit everything, etc."  He sounded crazy with the small space criteria with a kid, I've looked at studio apartments bigger than that. ; )  Didn't enjoy this one, turned it on to take a break from bad news on TV, but it seemed so impractical with a child but to each his or her own.

Going Tiny in W Virginia was more interesting to me, the back story and idea of her building it with her dad. Her Mom, now deceased, built her own home from an amish barn, impressed. ; ) She did a nice job for what she wanted, the bathroom was pretty but I didn't see a door...might have missed it.

• Love 1

What I can never grasp is the whole "we want to be mobile and drag our house along with us" but have things like open shelves with dishes stacked on them, appliances on the sink,  and doodads sitting all over the place.  Obviously they don't plan on moving very often - all of that crap would have to be taken down and stored or it would be dumped all over the place the first time they turned a corner.

• Love 6

I was too busy laughing over the Texas couple wanting an open concept with regards to the kitchen and living room area.  Isn't a mobile tiny house pretty much ALL open concept?  

I get that the lake house was over their budget but that was the only one I would have considered.  They got the land they were screeching about so much along with enough extra space.  Funny that the female house hunter actually asked if land came with the $16k price tag on option #3.  Is she high?  

I always watch the shows with children with a side eye because the couple will have ZERO privacy with open, dual lofts.  Maybe not a big deal now but wait a couple of years until the little girl is bigger.  

I liked what the W Va house hunter did, both with her budget and end result. She got exactly what she wanted and was able to build herself, along with her dad.  Good for her. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

I was too busy laughing over the Texas couple wanting an open concept with regards to the kitchen and living room area.  Isn't a mobile I always watch the shows with children with a side eye because the couple will have ZERO privacy with open, dual lofts.  Maybe not a big deal now but wait a couple of years until the little girl is bigger.  

I liked what the W Va house hunter did, both with her budget and end result. She got exactly what she wanted and was able to build herself, along with her dad.  Good for her. 

NO privacy...even a thin wall is something. Can you imagine just waking up and looking across your home and seeing your parents in bed, hear them snoring or whatever..because they think you are quiet...dad stubbing his toe on the ladder and swearing...it would be like he's right next to you.

One couple said the 2 lofts wasn't working right now and the child slept mainly with them...so I guess that cuts down on some issues. It can work for many people, but it seems almost abusive with kids at times especially since most don't put in railings.

5 hours ago, debraran said:

Can you imagine just waking up and looking across your home and seeing your parents in bed, hear them snoring or whatever..

I'm thinking that the lack of "whatever" is a good form of birth control in those boxes.  In that tight a space, what are you going to do?  Lock the kid outside or plan the whatever for when she's not home?

• Love 3
On 5/24/2017 at 1:01 PM, psychoticstate said:

I was too busy laughing over the Texas couple wanting an open concept with regards to the kitchen and living room area.  Isn't a mobile tiny house pretty much ALL open concept?  

I get that the lake house was over their budget but that was the only one I would have considered.  They got the land they were screeching about so much along with enough extra space.  Funny that the female house hunter actually asked if land came with the $16k price tag on option #3.  Is she high?  

I always watch the shows with children with a side eye because the couple will have ZERO privacy with open, dual lofts.  Maybe not a big deal now but wait a couple of years until the little girl is bigger.  

On 5/23/2017 at 6:02 AM, debraran said:

Tin House Texas, couple with 4 year old daughter. What I don't get is why they want to do it and then they say, "I don't know how we are going to fit everything, etc."  He sounded crazy with the small space criteria with a kid, I've looked at studio apartments bigger than that. ; )  Didn't enjoy this one, turned it on to take a break from bad news on TV, but it seemed so impractical with a child but to each his or her own.

Going Tiny in W Virginia was more interesting to me, the back story and idea of her building it with her dad. Her Mom, now deceased, built her own home from an amish barn, impressed. ; ) She did a nice job for what she wanted, the bathroom was pretty but I didn't see a door...might have missed it.

I liked the lake house for the Texas couple, but what was the wife's fetish with the composting toilet? If I had a choice of flushing vs. composting, there wouldn't be any question I'd take the flushing toilet. 

I liked the West Virginia woman, until she pulled the "I want what I want" crap when her stepfather said the the boxy house would probably be the best option. I guess she's independently squatting on the family's land now, but we all know that house isn't going anywhere in the future. If I recall the timeline, her mom and Jim got married when she was 6 years old, and her mother died when she was 11. I think it says something for him that he raised her instead of sending her to live with grandparents or other "blood" relatives.

At first I thought she said she was a minimalist, but on second viewing, she said she had a minimal design style, as opposed to her mother. A minimalist wouldn't need or want full-size appliances and a shower and a separate tub.

(edited)

Didn't take long for this double trailer home to be sold...it was a crazy concept, 6 of them.

https://tinyhouselistings.com/listing/omaha-ne-12-high-end-double-tiny-house/

When someone asked why he was selling, Dad said this:

"There a lot of reasons... The chief reason is that we cannot currently find somewhere to live in them legally. The counties that would accept them within driving distance of work and school don't seem to have any land for lease/sale. The spots where we actually could lease/buy some land will not allow the house.
Then there are financial considerations. If you spend all of your savings (and then some -- much much more than the budget) on a house that you can't live it, it makes it difficult to financially manage an entirely different household. We basically cannot afford to rent somewhere to live.
Where we are at this juncture is that we need to either live in the Tiny House, or sell it so we can live somewhere else."

I just don't understand why these things aren't discussed way before you build. Why doesn't THN has a stipulation that you have a place to stay so that over half of their houses aren't for sale within a year? I do like the foundation homes but THOW I feel will be a long time coming with zoning and such a waste unless approved ahead of time.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 7
On 5/26/2017 at 2:29 AM, debraran said:

I just don't understand why these things aren't discussed way before you build. Why doesn't THN has a stipulation that you have a place to stay so that over half of their houses aren't for sale within a year? I do like the foundation homes but THOW I feel will be a long time coming with zoning and such a waste unless approved ahead of time.

This is my biggest issue with THN & the whole THOW movement. It's illegal in my town to live in an RV or THOW except in an RV park. I know several people who have been warned or cited b/c their adult kids or friends are living in their RVs that are parked in the backyard, which seems to be where most people park their THOWs. Once you get outside the city limits, the rules are laxer, but then you have issues with getting water and power.

• Love 3

I think they conveniently fail to address these things. If they did, the sales of these things would plummet.  Although you'd think any responsible adult would see through the "vagabond, free as the breezes" schtick and have done some research before sinking money into those poorly constructed death traps.

• Love 5
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 5:29 AM, debraran said:

"There a lot of reasons... The chief reason is that we cannot currently find somewhere to live in them legally. The counties that would accept them within driving distance of work and school don't seem to have any land for lease/sale. The spots where we actually could lease/buy some land will not allow the house...
I just don't understand why these things aren't discussed way before you build.

True, but you'd think that the buyers would think of that too.
I can't imagine putting out all of that money without a place park it, unless you really planned on living on the road, or in the folks backyard.    

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I think they conveniently fail to address these things. If they did, the sales of these things would plummet.  Although you'd think any responsible adult would see through the "vagabond, free as the breezes" schtick and have done some research before sinking money into those poorly constructed death traps.

I agree - the vagabond routine / plot device goes back to early HHI days.  The buyers supposedly sell everything and move overseas w/o either a home or employment.  Yeah, right ...

In fact, I believe THH has jumped the shark.  They've taken it even farther by casting buyers via tiny home builders.  Their actions encourage these buyers to follow this supposed lifestyle, collecting their measly $500 and 15 minutes of fame along the way.  (Sorry, rant over)

About that MI episode, sorry to post late but I believe they omitted info about their CT home b/c they (most likely) didn't sell it.  I'm sure the guy's still working as a dj there while the family goes to the cottage, during the summer.  He prob joins then whenever possible. 

Although I didn't verify this, I've had friends from MI and they adopt the Canadian cottage lifestyle, if that makes sense.  My guess:  it's their summer home.

• Love 1
(edited)

I saw a tiny house nation family show on Amazon prime yesterday (aired saturday) Family of 4 moves into small tiny home (350 ft) and Mom's private space is a park bench swing outside. What I thought was funnier than the open lofts facing each other was the person THN went to visit in Utah to show how another family of 4 did it. He has been actively trying to sell their tiny home since it aired last year. They have youtube videos and everything. It felt very false to show them as an example because of course there was no mention of that.

I was bored once after season 3 and googled THN in the tiny house listing site and 6 came up. I heard there were more starting with the first one they ever did. I knew it wasn't "real" in the movement having way too many restrictions,but I really had no idea how many families just out of ignorance or wanting their 15 minutes, spent a down payment on a small home for a trailer that they can't sell.

I love small cottages and some THOW they did were great and still lived in now but over half aren't. I hope they show more realistic homes in the future but the 15 minute fever is still live and well.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

I do wish they would spend more time on tiny houses with fixed foundations.  The town I came from had an number of those and our cottage was 300 square feet and my house 900.  It would be interesting to see what can be done with layout and still maintain a small footprint.  I know that there is a move toward small "in-law cottages" near by separate from the main house.  I'd like to see something like that as well.

I think it's pretty evident that THOW is not tenable for most buyers for more than a few months no matter how they try and sell it.

• Love 8

I saw a schedule for an episode of Tiny House Hunters Where Are They Now or something like that.  I cannot locate the time and date right now, so check your schedules for it in your area.  It may be a rerun.

• Love 1
On 5/23/2017 at 9:24 AM, Kohola3 said:

What I can never grasp is the whole "we want to be mobile and drag our house along with us" but have things like open shelves with dishes stacked on them, appliances on the sink,  and doodads sitting all over the place.  Obviously they don't plan on moving very often - all of that crap would have to be taken down and stored or it would be dumped all over the place the first time they turned a corner.

This couple updated that did the RV route and yes, they mentioned EVERYTHING went all over the place. ; )

And they never used the bathroom, can't blame them for that.

http://www.localcolorxc.com/road-life-1/2016/4/5/life-after-tiny-house-hunters-what-its-really-like-to-live-in-a-thow

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:45 PM, aguabella said:

The buyers supposedly sell everything and move overseas w/o either a home or employment.  Yeah, right ...

Wasn't one of them blogging as an occupation?

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:44 PM, Kohola3 said:

I know that there is a move toward small "in-law cottages" near by separate from the main house.  I'd like to see something like that as well.

I haven't watched the show, but DIY (I think) has a show listed called Backyard Goldmine, which seems to show turning sheds and garages into livable property.
http://www.diynetwork.com/shows/backyard-goldmine

Turned off the news and watched a THH episode that had 2 little kids...is there a law that says you can't just "consider" railings for toddlers and preschoolers with lofts.  The mother kept saying she wanted an "open concept" when husband wanted railings and her compromise was more of a bar going across to match the ladder.  They even "joked" about the child hitting his head on a counter if he fell like he wouldn't break his neck in the process. I've seen it before, maybe it was the lack of enough coffee, but although THH started out okay this season, more mature people, it's going back to ridiculous again. Really like a reality break but not this way. I don't mind dumb people but when kids are involved, it isn't funny.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, debraran said:

The mother kept saying she wanted an "open concept" when husband wanted railings and her compromise was more of a bar going across to match the ladder.  They even "joked" about the child hitting his head on a counter if he fell like he wouldn't break his neck in the process.

If you know where, call CPS.
I saw one once, and this crawler, like 8 or 10 months old, is up in an open loft.
This is why there are building codes, and really, anything that someone is going to live in, should have to meet code.

14 minutes ago, auntjess said:

This is why there are building codes, and really, anything that someone is going to live in, should have to meet code.

Some people don't use the common sense God gave them.  To put a child under the age of reason in a loft without protection is a total idiot.  Too bad they don't require licenses for parenthood.

And I'm unclear on whether or not there are building codes for these contraptions.  I would bet not.  And if you drag it from place to place (I have my doubts on that but I digress) I would be surprised to see local codes either. I know my township does not.

• Love 5

I understand from what I've read, here probably, that TH people fight against codes, when cities insist on them if they want to park on a lot or in a yard.
If they're mobile, I'd think vehicle safety standards should apply.
I can't understand why you'd want something unsafe.

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:10 AM, laredhead said:

I saw a schedule for an episode of Tiny House Hunters Where Are They Now or something like that.  I cannot locate the time and date right now, so check your schedules for it in your area.  It may be a rerun.

Thanks for the info, laredhead.  Couldn't find a series titled THH, WATN but I do remember they've inserted a few THH episodes within the HH, WATN.  The latest season on record, S4 includes at least 1 THH and a few repeats come up in early June.  Watch your local listings, if you're interested, lol!

These are the S4 episodes:    http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/house-hunters-where-are-they-now/episodes/508639/

Episode numbers vary but the TX/NorCal/Atl episode includes at least one THH.

• Love 1

Just caught a 2015 episode with a family of 5. Mom, dad, and 3 "kiddoes," as the mom referred to them. Jeeeeekers but I wanted to smack those people (the grown-ups, not the kids). "It seems really tiny!" came out of their mouths with every new house or feature. The bathroom? Seems tiny. Living area? Hmmm seems tiny. This kitchen seems tiny. The refrigerator is tiny. The sink is tiny the storage is tiny the seating area is tiny it's tiny it's tiny it's tiny. Yes, you morons, it's tiny! IT'S A FREAKING TINY HOUSE!!" Where do they find these idiots??? And with 3, count 'em, 3 kids. I mean kiddoes. THEY are not going to remain tiny. IDIOTS (the grown-ups, not the kids)!!!!

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Kathcart said:

Just caught a 2015 episode with a family of 5. Mom, dad, and 3 "kiddoes," as the mom referred to them. Jeeeeekers but I wanted to smack those people (the grown-ups, not the kids). "It seems really tiny!" came out of their mouths with every new house or feature. The bathroom? Seems tiny. Living area? Hmmm seems tiny. This kitchen seems tiny. The refrigerator is tiny. The sink is tiny the storage is tiny the seating area is tiny it's tiny it's tiny it's tiny. Yes, you morons, it's tiny! IT'S A FREAKING TINY HOUSE!!" Where do they find these idiots??? And with 3, count 'em, 3 kids. I mean kiddoes. THEY are not going to remain tiny. IDIOTS (the grown-ups, not the kids)!!!!

Just watched that one too and I think they were planning on ousting the grandparents from their house at some point and putting them in the Tiny House. He worked for her dad and she sold 31 or whatever so they weren't setting the world afire financially and then three kids under 4? Yeah, interesting choices for marginal income. At least each one having to sleep in a different loft with the kids meant that child number 4 will be a while in appearing. I am also thinking kiddoes got sleepovers at grandma and grandpa's frequently and 95% of their stuff was probably over there too. They were idiots. And really, where are you going to tow that thing around the country? At least they didn't go with the one with the bumpouts that you could see daylight through the gaps around. In South Dakota that seems like a terrible design.

• Love 4
On 5/30/2017 at 6:10 AM, debraran said:

Turned off the news and watched a THH episode that had 2 little kids...is there a law that says you can't just "consider" railings for toddlers and preschoolers with lofts.  The mother kept saying she wanted an "open concept" when husband wanted railings and her compromise was more of a bar going across to match the ladder.  They even "joked" about the child hitting his head on a counter if he fell like he wouldn't break his neck in the process. I've seen it before, maybe it was the lack of enough coffee, but although THH started out okay this season, more mature people, it's going back to ridiculous again. Really like a reality break but not this way. I don't mind dumb people but when kids are involved, it isn't funny.

That was the Phoenix couple,  right? They were fucking morons. She was annoying as shit and he was a douchebag -- his office "chair" (stability ball with a back) alone pegged him as a hipster dick.

I didn't understand how she was so cavalier about her kids'safety. I'm not talking about helicopter parenting -- to her, getting a railing so they wouldn't fall out of the loft was a compromise. 

His insistence on a separate room for his office made me wonder if those idiots knew what living in a tiny house entailed. I thought it was interesting that the follow-up took place only two days later. I wonder if they're still in the tiny house.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

His insistence on a separate room for his office made me wonder if those idiots knew what living in a tiny house entailed. I thought it was interesting that the follow-up took place only two days later. I wonder if they're still in the tiny house.

I thought that was odd too..I didn't think they even moved in yet. You can't fix a certain type of stupidity and they seemed to have a lot. I just feared for the kid. I've seen babies getting hoisted up lofts in make shift baskets, sleeping with parents as toddlers but this "open concept" was one for the books.  I always wonder if the parents are sleeping heavily and the kids sleepily gets up, they don't wander off the mattress and take a header down to the kitchen. Those shows I can't watch again.

• Love 2

I quit watching the Tiny House programs because after a while they all ran together and I could never wrap my head around anyone wanting to move those things from place to place like a travel trailer or an RV.  Last week I stumbled on a program called Go RV and have been seeing some great alternatives to tiny houses and these things really are mobile.  Some of the travel trailers and 5th wheels are as inexpensive as $50,000 and evidently the pricing is like a car where the dealer will bargain with the buyer and there are year end models, etc.  These, IMVHO, make much more sense and have great storage as compared to tiny houses on wheels.  Maybe the people who want tiny houses on wheels think there's a stigma attached to living in an RV or a travel trailer.  Personally, I'd spend my money on something really mobile and then be able to more easily sell it because I think the market of buyers for that is much deeper than the market for a tiny house. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, laredhead said:

These, IMVHO, make much more sense and have great storage as compared to tiny houses on wheels. 

And much better insulation, cupboards made for movement so things don't shift or fall out, more efficient bathrooms, and appliances that are immune to being bounced around while in transit.  I traveled and lived in a little motorhome (19 feet) traveling to and from Alaska on mostly unpaved roads for 8 weeks.  I was never so glad to have space to breathe after the trip but did just fine with what I had because it was meant for moving from place to place without a lot of trouble.  You cannot tell me those wooden boxes are meant for moving to different locations all of the time.

• Love 7

When Zack Giffin tries to sell the concept, he dislilkes RV's, it's that the stigma is there for many and he feels tiny houses have less because they look like a house. But his tiny home doesn't even have a bathroom (I don't want to know what he does when not near a park) They are cuter but if not "RV certified" they can't be parked at RV parks, which many find out, they can't get insurance, etc.  I like that zoning laws are there and more safety issues.

It varies greatly but some tiny home dwellers had horrible things happen to them, with electric, heating, leaks, etc. .that are more "you're stuck now" than with something insured.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

... his office "chair" (stability ball with a back) alone pegged him as a hipster dick.

Those are so comfortable!  I didn't realize they make a person a hipster dick.

They never mention the price of the large truck you need for hauling.  They don't exactly get great gas mileage either, which seems to negate the eco-friendly aspect some off these off-the-grid types are going on about.  And unless you have a smaller, more fuel-efficient car, you are stuck driving your big truck everywhere.

Do these shows ever mention the weights of the houses they are building?   I wonder how they compare to an RV or travel trailer of the same size.

(edited)

This page discusses  weight, but not all companies are by the book. It mentions insurance at the end of the page for collision, damage, etc but it has to be RV certified. Hurricane clips help hold the roof on while driving...can you imagine the novice house builder losing the roof!

Well, there will always be people who will part with life savings without research but with the Internet and so much material out there, no one should be ignorant of the pitfalls. But as the saying goes, you can lead a tiny house wannabe to reality but you can't make them read.

https://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/expert-advice-how-to-resources/towing-a-tumbleweed-tiny-house-rv/

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

And much better insulation, cupboards made for movement so things don't shift or fall out, more efficient bathrooms, and appliances that are immune to being bounced around while in transit. 

Actually, I think tiny homes are (or definitely can be) better insulated than RVs, if they're made of wood and have actual insulation.  And they'll have better windows--the aluminum frames on RV windows are TERRIBLE for keeping the inside of an RV a different temperature from the outside.  Some RVs have dual-pane windows, which helps, but that doesn't get around the frame issue.  Feeling drafty in cold weather is a common complaint.

The only thing cupboards in most RVs have that keeps things in is burly latches on the doors, which can be a PITA during normal living because they're so tight.  Everything inside the cabinet can shift, leading to big surprises when you do get that door open.  Some RVs will have sliding drawers in a pantry to help keep things contained, but you can do that in a tiny house, too.  So shifting contents is usually a user error, although I think user errors may happen at a higher rate with tiny house people because so many of them seem to be idiots.

I don't have much of a problem with things shifting because I have a motorhome, but trailers (RV or tiny house) bounce a lot more.  Some that have a closet in the rear will have all the clothes bounce off the rod and end up on the floor.  But that's probably not much of an issue in a tiny house because there probably isn't a closet, and if there is one, it's 6" wide and will be so stuffed that nothing will be able to move.

The only RV-specific appliances I can think of are the propane oven/cooktop, the gas refrigerator, and a propane water heater, and those are just so you can use them if you're not hooked up to electricity--they're not necessarily burlier.  In all-electric RVs, the appliances are the same as you have in a house, like induction cooktops, microwave/convection ovens, residential refrigerators, and on-demand hot water. 

RVs aren't known for their superior construction, but at least they are designed and intended to be moved.  Like most others here, I am annoyed that the tiny house people are just refusing to use the right tool for the job, and especially annoyed that it seems to be driven by, I don't know, what is it that these people are displaying?  I get not wanting to live in a trailer because there is a stigma (unless it's vintage, of course), but life is full of compromises and choices.  Maybe it's just their youth.  Have any of the older ones wanted a tiny house that travels?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

RVs aren't known for their superior construction, but at least they are designed and intended to be moved. 

But I'm assuming they have to meet motor vehichle safety standards, just like a car.

7 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Maybe it's just their youth.

Many of them do have hobbies or sports that take them all over, and apparently they can afford to do this, but then this tiny home has to fit skis and snow-or surfboards or other large equipment.

8 hours ago, auntjess said:

Many of them do have hobbies or sports that take them all over, and apparently they can afford to do this, but then this tiny home has to fit skis and snow-or surfboards or other large equipment.

One of the best THOW they did was on THN, Luke and Tina, were engineers and "real" people who wanted this home for them and 3 dogs (no kids planned) They designed a place that had tons of storage for all their outdoor gear and there wasn't the "where are they putting clothes or hanging coats?" thoughts. The only thing that had to be changed was the door Zack made, all different woods, it warped in the cold, but I think that was in part of the rushing of the show to fit in so many a year. They are going to make it into a table.

It was refreshing to see so much thought going into it and they had a place to stay and a plan.

http://tinyhousetalk.com/204-sq-ft-mountaineer-tiny-home-with-rooftop-deck/

• Love 1

My frustration with Tiny House Hunters (the actual people more so than the show) grows with each week. 

Last night's Colorado empty nesters . . . I get their kids are in college but after college, sometimes kids have to move back home, at least temporarily.  I'm not saying the couple should keep their larger house in case of that event but I found it . . . weird . . . that in the update, the wife mentioned something along the lines of "even having the kids over for a dinner. "  And both talked about having "overnight guests," which I guess was unusual to me because you would think parents would talk about their kids specifically.  I know they did mention the kids but if I'm remembering correctly, she said something about having space for them once a year.  I don't know, it just seemed very bizarre to me.  The husband's insistence on 150 sq ft made me stabby.  That's a ROOM, dude.  I'm glad they chose the place they did; it was the only one that made sense.  I was with the wife on being able to stand up in the bedroom.  My back and neck hurt watching some of these fools all hunched over in loft spaces while chirping about how much space they have.  Suuuuuuure.  

The San Diego single mom wasn't nearly as grating but I would have gone with the yellow cottage if I were her.  Separate bedroom, more space.   I noticed she and her daughter were still using that stepladder thing in the update, for her loft space, which seems kinda dangerous.

I'm absolutely floored how much money people are spending nowadays on these things.  $80k?  Seriously?  San Diego real estate is insane (I live in So Cal) but the woman mentioned she was making a mortgage payment plus rent for the land.  Wouldn't you be better served to use that money as a down payment on a condo?  

Maybe I just don't get it. 

• Love 6
(edited)
17 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

My frustration with Tiny House Hunters (the actual people more so than the show) grows with each week. 

Last night's Colorado empty nesters . . . I get their kids are in college but after college, sometimes kids have to move back home, at least temporarily.  I'm not saying the couple should keep their larger house in case of that event but I found it . . . weird . . . that in the update, the wife mentioned something along the lines of "even having the kids over for a dinner. "  And both talked about having "overnight guests," which I guess was unusual to me because you would think parents would talk about their kids specifically.  I know they did mention the kids but if I'm remembering correctly, she said something about having space for them once a year.  I don't know, it just seemed very bizarre to me.  The husband's insistence on 150 sq ft made me stabby.  That's a ROOM, dude.  I'm glad they chose the place they did; it was the only one that made sense.  I was with the wife on being able to stand up in the bedroom.  My back and neck hurt watching some of these fools all hunched over in loft spaces while chirping about how much space they have.  Suuuuuuure.  

The San Diego single mom wasn't nearly as grating but I would have gone with the yellow cottage if I were her.  Separate bedroom, more space.   I noticed she and her daughter were still using that stepladder thing in the update, for her loft space, which seems kinda dangerous.

I'm absolutely floored how much money people are spending nowadays on these things.  $80k?  Seriously?  San Diego real estate is insane (I live in So Cal) but the woman mentioned she was making a mortgage payment plus rent for the land.  Wouldn't you be better served to use that money as a down payment on a condo?  

I agree, re the cottage, to each, their own.  It had so much storage and the separate room. The loft was pretty cool and it had railings!

Those empty nester parents were very disconnected and I think the prices for the little they are getting is outrageous. Why would anyone want a room for a home...hopefully that was fake.

All that money and no plumbing for toilet, no washer usually, and of course almost no closets. I think if I went to a composting toilet, especially one like theirs that you have to empty with at least once a week, it would discourage most of my relatives from a visit...a plus to my hubby but I wouldn't like it either. One couple I read about said,  they would argue every 2 weeks who dumped it, I wonder with the solid waste, where they put it since they were on different property as they moved around. She said the urine would get so concentrated, she would gag. I'm sure everyone isn't this bad with transitioning to composting, but her travel blog was funny. I would not be able to keep that up very long. 

This season started off well, I hope it goes back to more sane people and foundation homes.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
On 6/6/2017 at 11:58 AM, psychoticstate said:

The kids were named "Boston" and "Irish," so perhaps they don't want to be around their parents more than once a year in retaliation for those ridiculous names.

Maybe the couple are swingers, so their "overnight guests" are of the sexual variety. 

I liked the house they chose (I could see myself living there), but I wondered about utilities. There was recessed lighting, so where were they getting their electrical power from? The house was just plopped out in the open & there didn't appear to be any wires connecting it to the grid. I believe that one had a composting toilet, so where were they depositing their manure? I also think they had a washer & dryer, so there must be a water supply and waste water discharge somewhere. 

I agree -- the yellow cottage was the one. It was beautiful, and I loved the loft upstairs. I noticed the stepladder too, and I wondered why the builder hadn't finished the home. 

I don't get either why someone would want to live in, basically, a walk-in closet (especially with another person), bang their head every time they sat up in bed, or have to empty their own shit every few days. I think, for me, the issue is the insistence on the home being mobile, as if some of the schmoes they feature are really going to tow a home like that. The trouble is, a foundation "tiny home" is a cottage, and while they've shown a few of those, they don't scream the trendiness of the tiny home "movement."

What I don't get either is budget. The Colorado couple said they sold their large home, presumably for several hundred thousand dollars. How is it they had "only" $75,000 to buy their tiny home? I can understand putting aside a nest egg and not wanting to spend everything on a new home, especially if you're downsizing, but it can't be as dire as the couple made it sound. (This theme has also occurred with other couples.)

• Love 2

One of the questions I've asked on TH FB page and other sites in the past, is why all these homes out in the middle of no where have supposedly, electricity and water and a place to put sewage.  One early episode of THN had a youtube video of the couple and you could barely hear them over the generator. They said while in neighbors driveway, that was their electricity. (hope the neighbors were understanding) Even Zack Giffin didn't answer on a FB chat when someone asked him about  why logistics aren't discussed. He just said zoning stopped many from continuing their journey.

With so many for sale, with so many being built, I feel there might be a glut of them one day, but that might help sales at least for MIL apartments or guest houses for those who can afford it and have room.

• Love 1

I watched this week's THN where they built a tiny cabin for a couple with a 3 yo child. The living room and dining room were both on the lanai, so they were able to get three bedrooms in the house. Zach made a kitchen workspace with three shelves that were stored on the ceiling and used a motor to go up and down. I think a small island on wheels would have been more practical. The only other issue I had was one Zach brought up, the couple had an acre of property but it was mostly volcanic rock, there weren't any soft places outside for their child to play.

I thought just a pull out counter, like a horizontal barn door kind of thing, would have worked with less effort.. I have a pull out cutting board that was built into my very old cabinets and it works well for extra cutting space.  He could have hung shelves for spices etc

I didn't hear the rock comment, maybe that was why the land was cheaper than back home but it's still Hawaii. I guess growing things wont be easy. 

I did see other homes around when they panned out and they didn't seem too isolated. I hate laundry so I always notice the lack of machines as in this case (maybe not enough water) and I also wondered how the composting would work with the toilet. They scanned the bathroom and I watched it again and didn't see any toilet or mention of it. No outhouse either, so it's somewhere.

I think they will hang in there, they seem committed to their teaching and retreats and living with less.

(edited)

I liked James from Spokane. There seemed to be an underlying sadness to him, so I wondered if he was a combat veteran with PTSD issues he hadn't dealt with and that's why he and his ex-wife were divorced. His black dog appeared to be wearing a vest I've seen service dogs wear.

But there were times I felt like I was watching an intro to a porno three-way, the way he and his ex-wife and the realtor were flirting.

At least he had a reasonable idea of "tiny" -- no 200-sq-foot homes. The first house I liked the best; I thought the loft was tight but not as bad as we've seen in other houses, and you didn't have to climb a rickety ladder to get up. The second was just really too small, and I thought the third had a weird layout, with the mudroom practically the same size as the bathroom. I was sure that door had led to a bedroom.

I liked that they were giving their marriage another chance, but does that mean she moved in with him in the tiny house? 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I liked James from Spokane. There seemed to be an underlying sadness to him, so I wondered if he was a combat veteran with PTSD issues he hadn't dealt with and that's why he and his ex-wife were divorced. His black dog what appeared to be wearing a vest I've seen service dogs wear.

But there were times I felt like I was watching an intro to a porno three-way, the way he and his ex-wife and the realtor were flirting.

At least he had a reasonable idea of "tiny" -- no 200-sq-foot homes. The first house I liked the best; I thought the loft was tight but not as bad as we've seen in other houses, and you didn't have to climb a rickety ladder to get up. The second was just really too small, and I thought the third had a weird layout, with the mudroom practically the same size as the bathroom. I was sure that door had led to a bedroom.

I liked that they were giving their marriage another chance, but does that mean she moved in with him in the tiny house? 

I agree, he seemed very likable. The realtor was a friend from high school so maybe they all knew each other well. A bit too close as you said but if was playing that up because James was handsome or having a cousin be overly annoying, it was easier to watch. ; )

The second house, I have no idea why they show some of them.  That would be way too small. And enough of the "butt room". lol No way two large dogs would be happy there and they didn't mention the lack of closet...none at all. Where would he put coats, everyday clothes, etc., shoes? I was caught up in the pretty kitchen cabinets but you don't want to put your tee shirts in them.

The last one was such a waste of space, it was almost like the person designed it high..lol.  "Just bring your dishes to the mud room when done"  But he did a nice job with it.  So many tiny house buyers want a tub, she had a point.

I wonder if the idea of renting was always there, obviously this was filmed a while ago and maybe they needed space and had discussed that in the past. And if it doesn't work out, he has a place to go. I didn't rewind, but I don't remember seeing any of his things, personal items, clothes, etc.

I wish they showed better homes but since they already have one, maybe they don't want to show something too different or "better" sometimes.

Edited by debraran

I also liked James from Spokane.  He seemed reasonable (except for the composting toilet.)  The second "property" was beyond ridiculous.  That thing was a storage shed with a kitchenette.  I will give James and his ex/not ex Rachel (?) credit for attempting to sell the b.s. that they were interested in that thing.  It definitely should have been mentioned that if James, or anyone, was to finish off that attic space, it would be a death trap if there was a fire, unless there was a window that we didn't see. 

I would have gone with the first or third option, without a doubt.   The total square footage of the loft space in the third option (the winner) was actually decent.  Head room is never good in most THs with lofts.

The other episode with the SC couple was okay.  They didn't bug me nearly as much as I assumed.  Other than wanting a TH that looks like a cabin (like 90% of all THH, it seems) I was on the husband's side for most of the disagreements.  Finally, a man who says no to the composting toilet!  I didn't particularly care for the TH they chose, although it least it's kinda foundational.  Too barn looking for me.  The new paint was much better.  I thought for the square footage, the layout sucked balls.  It didn't feel as though it was nearly 400 square feet.  And it was definitely way too dark and depressing looking (at least before they remade some of it.)   Funny that they purchased the camper so they could use it when they decided to hit the road.  A fairly smart decision, surprisingly.  

Have we ever had an episode where the homeowner(s) purchased 2 of the 3 options?  Heck, I don't know if we've had an episode where a couple got (back) together either. 

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Have we ever had an episode where the homeowner(s) purchased 2 of the 3 options?  Heck, I don't know if we've had an episode where a couple got (back) together either. 

I still have to watch that one, S Carolina, but re James though, it could be that since they probably weren't divorced, maybe separated, they decided to do this as a possible rental in the future. It did make me think when she said how renters like tubs. Usually the ex isn't the one showing the buyer around but since they were close and the realtor was a friend from high school (whom I assume loved the extra publicity) it might have been a win-win for all of them. I somehow doubt he is living there but who knows. The composting toilet would have been a deal breaker for  me. ; )

Edited by debraran
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, auntjess said:

Wasn't one of them blogging as an occupation?

Oops, missed your reply, earlier, aunt jess.  Tied up with work and don't receive notifications ...

???  Not sure which episode you're referring to about a blogger.  Anyway, I was just speaking in generalities about that particular plot, i.e. the carefree vagabond house hunter.  Sure, HH/HHI/THH et al. use multiple plots.  And, THH, as a spinoff, borrows plots from all their predecessors.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.