Type keyword(s) to search

Tiny House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

About the CO couple and their 75K budget and sale of their previous home ...

I know many posters wish HH would provide more info but personally, I don't see it happening.  I've seen many escrow statements and almost always, they contain surprises.  In their case, they had two kids in college.  It's quite possible that they'd borrowed against their equity to fund the kids' education.

HH frequently fudges the exact locations and neighborhoods to maintain the participants' privacy.  The best thing they do is disclose the exact purchase price of the various properties.  (Someone early on realized that it's public record and easily verified.)  Beyond that, I can't see them delving into the participants' financial situations. 

That's just too much, IMO.  They have tons of U.S. applicants now but if they did that, ???.  They might have a hard time churning out the endless numbers of new episodes from this $$$ machine.

I only catch a few of these shows, so I don't know if this is a repeat (food scientist in Ark and her friend), but I want to come thru the TV and smack both of them. What is that manner of speaking? Is that vocal fry? Stupidity? Oh my goodness. I can't stand it. Also, the black friend kept saying "at" at the end of sentences. "This is where I keep my luggage at." NO. Did you take grammar? Do you have a job that involves more than serving up french fries? You are not as cute as you think you are, Missy.

• Love 2

The Colorado couple from NYC that built their 160 ?sq foot home by themselves did a nice job. Thought of a lot of things like ways to keep stuff from moving around when traveling etc.  I was getting ready for work so I'm not sure how they cook food, obviously wasn't a stove in the tour at the end. For what it was, it would be too cramped for me, but they seemed happy and when you do it yourself, there is a pride in it. I liked the hammock and storage ideas. I hope they really like each other. ; )

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, aliya said:

I only catch a few of these shows, so I don't know if this is a repeat (food scientist in Ark and her friend), but I want to come thru the TV and smack both of them. What is that manner of speaking? Is that vocal fry? Stupidity? Oh my goodness. I can't stand it. Also, the black friend kept saying "at" at the end of sentences. "This is where I keep my luggage at." NO. Did you take grammar? Do you have a job that involves more than serving up french fries? You are not as cute as you think you are, Missy.

59,000 for 160 sq feet?  These homes are getting crazy in prices.  And floor storage is nice but not if furniture is over it.  The storage container seemed small to me for 400 ft. Very narrow. Really didn't like how they used the space, seemed very cluttered. These 2 didn't overuse the "natural light" but  the word "entertain" was. lol

The last one was more like a small home/RV but not towable. I liked the separate bedroom.

I can't believe she spent 60,000 for that space but to each their own. She isn't towing that much, you can tell when they spend a lot of time putting up nick-nacks and other things that would get packed every time you move.

They were annoying.  The voices make you want to use FF. ; )

Edited by debraran

I don't care how many times these yutzes claim they're saving the planet.  Most of them are pooping in litter boxes, and handling the disposal in a way that encourages disease.  Maybe they're "green" but their hygiene is ass backwards.   Come over to my tiny house.  Sit on my miniature couch with my large, stinking dog.  Hey, how do you feel about cholera?   Don't even worry about it, you can wash your feces contaminated hands right here in the kitchen sink.  

• Love 10

I don't watch this show anymore, but happened to see the reveal last night just before a new episode of HH.  I thought the 3rd one in the Arkansas episode was a mobile home like you would buy at a mobile home sales lot.  I wasn't impressed with any of them, and I swear I would have claustrophobia trying to sleep in those lofts.  When you open your eyes, the ceiling is right there in front of you.   

4 hours ago, laredhead said:

I don't watch this show anymore, but happened to see the reveal last night just before a new episode of HH.  I thought the 3rd one in the Arkansas episode was a mobile home like you would buy at a mobile home sales lot.  I wasn't impressed with any of them, and I swear I would have claustrophobia trying to sleep in those lofts.  When you open your eyes, the ceiling is right there in front of you.   

Ha!  I agree - I had an MRI and it was a similar experience.  No thanks! 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, laredhead said:

I  never thought I was claustrophobic until I volunteered for a study that included an MRI. That cage went over my face and they slid me into the machine and I thought I would go crazy. I begged for them to let me out. I tried again, with my eyes closed so I wouldn't see the cage and tube, but my mind knew it was there and I couldn't do it. Those lofts would probably strike me the same way. Who wants the roof that close to your face or to have to go up and down a ladder just to lie down, 'cause Lord knows your little settee in the kitchen/living/office/compost toilet area isn't going to be long enough to stretch out on.  What if you're sick? Do you have to make the bed on your knees?  

Why don't these people just buy an RV or move into a manufactured home on 5 acres (my plan)? I'm all for downsizing. Stupid, not so much. Last night I read some of the anti-tiny house articles. Looks like somebody had their house stolen! Yeah, that's the ticket - you come home and your home is gone. Or, these people find out too late that most local governments won't let them just park anywhere. Bad news for the special snowflakes who thought they could just plop their house wherever they wanted.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, aliya said:

Looks like somebody had their house stolen! Yeah, that's the ticket - you come home and your home is gone.

I would have loved to have heard the call to the police! "Help, someone stole my house!!!!"

• Love 5

I read about that too, not just one person. Especially the smaller tiny homes. And since they are usually where they shouldn't be and not overly secure (french doors/one entrance, lots of windows) they are easily broken into and it's easy to find the stuff you want. I never thought about theft, but I guess it's a reality.  Even Zack Giffin said someone came in his tiny home while he was sleeping and he chased him with an ax in his underwear (quite a site I'm sure) for a few yards.

I always wonder when people travel, how expensive it is to keep parking the house, your home isn't always hooked up to utilities on the road but they "work".

One couple said it cost them thousands more traveling across the USA, tires going flat, gas cost, so many parks said No and if it was yes, they couldn't return for 21 days. They were asked to move when they tried to pull over to sleep, they got so frustrated that they gave up after a few months and put it up for sale. When they were planning their route, it never occurred to them to say, maybe we should call ahead and make sure our tiny house is acceptable. I still find that the strangest thing of the movement, the ignorance or entitlement they feel. RV owners always know it seems where they can go and not go, no squatting on peoples lawns.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, aliya said:

Last night I read some of the anti-tiny house articles. Looks like somebody had their house stolen! 

I have been saying this since the beginning of the tiny home fascination.  What's to stop someone with a truck and a hitch from taking your tiny mobile home if you're not there?  Or heck, even if you're in it?  You could be asleep in your tiny deathtrap loft and wake up to rolling down the road.  

On 6/20/2017 at 4:02 AM, debraran said:

9,000 for 160 sq feet?  These homes are getting crazy in prices. 

YES.  I remember when I first starting watching this show (and others like it) the prices were rarely over $15k or $20k.  Most of the people who were doing it were doing so mainly because they didn't have the funds to purchase a foundation home.  If I had $60K and in Arkansas, and I was looking to downsize with less responsibility, I'd be buying a condo.  

That woman was a damn fool choosing option 1.  Utterly ridiculous.  I liked that her friend Alice said everything that most of us are screaming at the tv - - "$59,000?  That's too high!", "That's NOT a closet!", "There's no room!", "Yeah, storage in the floor . . . how will you access that when you put furniture in here?" and "Bathroom next to the kitchen?  Gross!"   We need her commentary in each episode to make it bearable.

And what was with the coffee mug test?  If you can get yourself up a ladder successfully with a mug of hot coffee with no issues, why would you even question actual stairs?  I'm sorry but if I were the homeowner and I saw a prospective buyer open my cabinet, take out one of my cups, head up the stairs with it, set it on the shelf and then climb on my bed, I'd be pissed.  "House for sale" does not mean "make yourself right at home."   Of course, I've never understood potential home buyers who think they have the right to lie on someone else's bed.

She should have taken the last home, as it was the cheapest and allowed her to make the renovations that she claimed were so important to her.  Plus it had a porch, actual closet space and a separate bedroom. She also didn't have the bathroom right next to the kitchen.   She could have made all those changes necessary for LESS than what she paid for that tiny piece of crap she bought.

The Milwaukee to Portland couple didn't annoy me too much. I am always fascinated by people who seem able to drive all over the country while still working.  I'd be thrilled just to be able to work from my non-mobile, non-tiny home.   Their first option was hideous.  Way too dark and just not practical for anyone over the age of 10.  The second house was cute but again, not practical.  The third made the most sense, although I'm not sure how practical it will be to drive between Portland and Milwaukee twice a year, plus wherever else they think they're going to go.  I was fascinated that the stairs to the bedroom loft were located in the bathroom area.  It made sense to save space but what if you want or need to go upstairs and someone's in the bathroom?  What if you're upstairs and want to come down and someone's in the bathroom?  It basically means there's not a lot of bathroom privacy.  And yeah, putting a door with a window on it directly opposite the toilet is bizarre.  Why would you even want a door there?  I can understand maybe a window, so there's some natural light . . . and a window with blinds. 

This show . . . I think I'm reaching burn out level because the prices, combined with the buyers' rationalizations for stupidity and idiocy, is making me stabby.

• Love 13
(edited)

They had some normal couples to start off the season but maybe "stupid" sells and the reality show part of it overrides the sensible aspects of downsizing. I mean a sensible person knows not picking the lower priced home over the one she picked, re the 60.000 one was not smart....and we all know that the 3 tiny houses shown aren't the ONLY tiny houses she looked at which makes the bad choice even worse.

I look forward to a few more foundation homes that are more cottages and homes like the larger TH she didn't take with separate bedroom with head room. Those are real choices in areas that are higher priced and we all know "traveling" doesn't last or pan out usually. If she put 60.000 on a nice small condo , her mortgage could have been very low and she'd get a tax write-off and could have insurance and more storage and not have it stolen. ; )  And a foundation home is easier to rent.

Thankfully I watch usually the day after and can FF or skip the really annoying ones. 

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Never thought of this.  How are these things insured?  As homes?  Motor homes?  Trailers?

Most have to be RV certified. I don't blame the insurance companies or feel too bad for the house stolen and not insured I read about, because many TH dwellers like the independence and not abiding by fire and local codes etc. So the insurance companies say No because I imagine they'd be paying out more. Judging from just a tidbit of reading on incidences that happened with new dwellers, frozen pipes, flat tires, fires, water damage, etc., would you want to pay out if they didn't follow obvious safety or housing codes?

While technically RVs are not considered permanent dwellings, most insurance companies offer a "full timer's" package that's similar to a homeowners policy.

Many campgrounds across the country will only allow tiny houses on wheels to park if they have the RVIA seal. That is again to protect themselves and other dwellers. You also have to check builder to make sure they check all the boxes even if they say RV certified. If the insurance company checks and sees wires or appliances weren't up to code, they wont pay.

So in addition to the cost to build, to not have insurance to me is insane. That means you can lose that money and not cry. Most of the homes on THN don't seem to be RV certified, they mentioned it a couple of times. I don't get it, but then again, no one seems to do homework. Some states are starting to have some, one person paid 1000 a year but not for theft or anything on the road.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2

I know on one episode of a tiny house show, the girl just loved the outswinging front door because it allowed more space in the house. Would anyone like to guess which side the hinges were on? Yeah. Stupid.

A friend is considering getting some land and putting two tiny houses on it. She saw something similar on one of the tiny house shows with a living/entertaining house and a bedroom house. They wouldn't be mobile ones but she wants lofted bed areas. I think she is nuts but the tiny house craze claims another victim.

• Love 4

There is no way I could live in a tiny house with another person. I did think a THOW would be cool, if I had a bit of property in town to put one because I could hook it up and go visit the kids/grandkids, but with all the restrictions that doesn't sound too feasible. 

On 6/14/2017 at 3:35 PM, psychoticstate said:

Have we ever had an episode where the homeowner(s) purchased 2 of the 3 options?  Heck, I don't know if we've had an episode where a couple got (back) together either. 

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of going "tiny"? Besides, what they bought was a trailer, so to me that's not really a tiny house at all, especially if they plan to use it only when they go traveling. 

On 6/20/2017 at 11:57 PM, auntjess said:

My mother would talk about the cartoon strip, Toonerville Trolley, and that's what these houses remind me of.

0026_1_lg-1.jpg

I think there's too much space in that house. However, I also want full-size appliances, room for my 100-lb dog, my two kids and spouse, my camping & exercise equipment, and room for entertaining and sleep-over guests.

The woman in Arkansas: At first I thought she was pretty smart. A too-big house she's never in, so why not rent it and make some extra money? As the episode progressed, however, I realized she was actually kind of a moron with each exclamation of "There's so much room!" And, of course, when she picked the smallest tiny house, it cemented in my mind that she was an idiot. 

The third house was less than half her budget, which gave her so much money to customize it. Most people would love to have a budget that big to make it their own. She made it sound as though painting it and doing a few other customization be so onerous as to never end. 

Did anyone notice that the third house was the same model as the one the South Carolina couple bought a few episodes ago? 

The Oregon couple was OK, but it's just ridiculous when they vomit up the usual "there's so much room." It was particularly funny when they showed the wife trying to work on the ledge/table, with her laptop angled and half off into space, and her voiceover said, "There's so much room for me to work."

• Love 7
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I

The Oregon couple was OK, but it's just ridiculous when they vomit up the usual "there's so much room." It was particularly funny when they showed the wife trying to work on the ledge/table, with her laptop angled and half off into space, and her voiceover said, "There's so much room for me to work."

Yes, when I first saw the ledge I thought, "does she have a Kindle?" I doubt she uses that often.

I know in THH, the house is already picked out if it's like HH, so maybe they can't fix the stupid one they chose, but why show such horrible ones sometimes? Here's a 150sq ft box for your boyfriend, you, your dog, cat and then they are disappointed there isn't a washing machine and room to entertain. Sometimes it's funny and you laugh, but occasionally it's scary.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, laredhead said:

Just read this today and it's very funny.  It talks about some of the practical problems with living in a tiny house.  It also addresses some of the questions that have been posed on this forum previously.

http://www.hgtv.com/design-blog/shows/an-apartment-dweller-considers-tiny-houses

Yes, when I see the puzzles with furniture Zack Giffin does on THN, it's cool to look at, you pull this cubicle out, take out this, this turns into a stool, you turn this over and it's a table, and on and on. The couple is always speechless and probably thinking, "We aren't doing that every time we eat".

One TH dweller said the fold down tables are great but you realize you really want one surface you can put flowers or mail. It's not so much clutter, but just a surface. So her table ends up being up most of the time. I got a used table that Ikea makes for my daughter. It's been shown on Tiny House Hunters a few times.  She loves it and you can have a full table or half.maxresdefault.jpg

(edited)

New Tiny House Nation show, Tech couple (Dr and lawyer) build a tiny house on 20 or so acres they bought to be tech free on weekends.  It's not even 400 sq feet. They rent their now their larger home during the week, so they weren't moving out all together.  2 kids under 4.

There is something they aren't saying, but I'm not sure what it is. I see other homes around, but it's farm land, cows, etc. They have a composting toilet, very fancy bathroom/sauna, and nice tub. The parents loft is not railed...the kids has an up and down railing, so low in some parts, higher in others but a rail.

Kitchen had no table, the only table was outside and Zack did a neat job of having it fold down from side of houses and the underside matches the siding so it's hidden. But where do they eat when it's hot or raining, etc. ? They wanted room for relatives to eat over.  They figured up to 18 at max.  20 people using a composting toilet.....: /

Some things made sense to me, others didn't. They said it was budgeted at 65,000, I don't know if it went over but it really wasn't kid friendly. The mom said in the one month f/up that she wished she put a kid crawl space to connect the lofts (they had ladders) One was not even crawling yet and her loft is completely open.....Dr and lawyer seemed a little odd in that regard. No crib in f/up. Wondered if they stayed more than a day at a time.

Having a space to be out in the country or decompress is nice without WIFI or TV but there seemed to be a lot not said and I wondered if this might be a rental one day.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, debraran said:

They wanted room for relatives to eat over.  They figured up to 18 at max.  20 people using a composting toilet.....: /

That's asinine! If you need space for 18 people, plus your family of 4, to eat and entertain, a tiny house is not for you. Even if you're planning on entertaining only during the summer, you still can't control the weather. 

If you have kids, a loft tiny house is not for you. The lofts are not safe for anyone under 5 and there is no privacy. It's bad enough that your kids are going to hear everything you do in a tiny house, they don't need to look across and see you, too.

• Love 7
(edited)

18 year old Jaden from Colorado wants a tiny house instead of a dorm. Budget 75,000.  It took a minute to find out parents were doctors so the promo made sense.  A few doctors I knew rented condos for their kids, but a tiny house, no.  I live in the north east and many students rent rooms in nice homes under 800 a month, so even over 4 years, it's not as much as that but not a home.  It said she secured her own loan? At 18? I can't imagine that without her parents signing.  Once I got past that, I really didn't like the second home, It wasn't laid out well at all but she picks it. The first larger one was more practical. She really seemed to love the composting toilets, almost too much. ; )

The third one was more retro, bathroom didn't have door and again not very good layout. I guess seeing hundreds over the years on TV and online, when one is built without using space well, it seems odd. If you want to live in a large rectangle box, make the space as efficient as possible. But I guess everyone likes different things.

A friend of the family is giving her land for 100 a month.  Sweet.  Dog, cat and now she has baby chickens.....I wonder what her major will be.?

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
On 6/23/2017 at 10:41 AM, SmithW6079 said:

However, I also want full-size appliances, room for my 100-lb dog, my two kids and spouse, my camping & exercise equipment, and room for entertaining and sleep-over guests.

Don't forget the bathtub! 

On 6/25/2017 at 7:56 AM, debraran said:

New Tiny House Nation show, Tech couple (Dr and lawyer) build a tiny house on 20 or so acres they bought to be tech free on weekends.  It's not even 400 sq feet. They rent their now their larger home during the week, so they weren't moving out all together.  2 kids under 4.

There is something they aren't saying, but I'm not sure what it is. I see other homes around, but it's farm land, cows, etc. They have a composting toilet, very fancy bathroom/sauna, and nice tub. The parents loft is not railed...the kids has an up and down railing, so low in some parts, higher in others but a rail.

Kitchen had no table, the only table was outside and Zack did a neat job of having it fold down from side of houses and the underside matches the siding so it's hidden. But where do they eat when it's hot or raining, etc. ? They wanted room for relatives to eat over.  They figured up to 18 at max.  20 people using a composting toilet.....: /

Some things made sense to me, others didn't. They said it was budgeted at 65,000, I don't know if it went over but it really wasn't kid friendly. The mom said in the one month f/up that she wished she put a kid crawl space to connect the lofts (they had ladders) One was not even crawling yet and her loft is completely open.....Dr and lawyer seemed a little odd in that regard. No crib in f/up. Wondered if they stayed more than a day at a time.

Having a space to be out in the country or decompress is nice without WIFI or TV but there seemed to be a lot not said and I wondered if this might be a rental one day.

Yeah, I didn't get that couple at all.  I understand unplugging but if you can afford to buy land outside of San Jose, why not build a foundation home?  When you have one child that's under a year of age, how on earth is a loft going to work?  Even if you are going to have that child in your loft, getting him up and down that ladder is going to be a pill (and dangerous.)   How long before the older boy figures out how to unlock the "gate" at the top of his loft?  

And again with this need for entertaining hordes of people.

On 6/27/2017 at 3:00 AM, debraran said:

18 year old Jaden from Colorado wants a tiny house instead of a dorm. Budget 75,000.  It took a minute to find out parents were doctors so the promo made sense.  A few doctors I knew rented condos for their kids, but a tiny house, no.  I live in the north east and many students rent rooms in nice homes under 800 a month, so even over 4 years, it's not as much as that but not a home.  It said she secured her own loan? At 18? I can't imagine that without her parents signing.  Once I got past that, I really didn't like the second home, It wasn't laid out well at all but she picks it. The first larger one was more practical. She really seemed to love the composting toilets, almost too much. ; )

The third one was more retro, bathroom didn't have door and again not very good layout. I guess seeing hundreds over the years on TV and online, when one is built without using space well, it seems odd. If you want to live in a large rectangle box, make the space as efficient as possible. But I guess everyone likes different things.

A friend of the family is giving her land for 100 a month.  Sweet.  Dog, cat and now she has baby chickens.....I wonder what her major will be.?

I liked Jaden but I really didn't understand why she wanted a mobile tiny house.  Have condos suddenly become indicators of the dark side of satan or something?   As soon as they showed the little blue home, I knew she would pick it.   

Legitimate question:  Must you have a fixation on overnight guests before you can be cast for this show?  

The other tiny homeowner . . . she spent over $70K on that place?  WTF?  Sure, the kitchen set up was nice and the appliances were full sized but . . . I don't get it.  Her second option was patently ridiculous (so in a way, I'm amazed she didn't choose it) but I would have gone with the first one.  It didn't have a bathtub but it felt open, it had a closet, it had a downstairs "bedroom" and the kitchen was fine.  Her choice felt so boxy to me, I would freak out having to be in there, although I will say she got a decent amount of furniture in there and it didn't look super cluttered or terrible.  At first I was happy she had a friend going with her, and a seemingly skeptical one at that, but that friend was worthless.  She thought that tiny second one was great since it was under budget at "only" $50k.  

Do these people not realize that these tiny homes will NOT hold their value?  In addition to the other myriad problems they have.

• Love 4
On 6/6/2017 at 11:58 AM, psychoticstate said:

Last night's Colorado empty nesters . . . I get their kids are in college but after college, sometimes kids have to move back home, at least temporarily.  I'm not saying the couple should keep their larger house in case of that event but I found it . . . weird . . . that in the update, the wife mentioned something along the lines of "even having the kids over for a dinner. "  And both talked about having "overnight guests," which I guess was unusual to me because you would think parents would talk about their kids specifically.  I know they did mention the kids but if I'm remembering correctly, she said something about having space for them once a year.  I don't know, it just seemed very bizarre to me.  

I would be the tiny house is a vacation spot. When you have a 19 year old in college you are between having kids and being an empty nester. Dorms close in the summer, unless he has an apartment. But still, how insulting to the kid.  Yea, you're 19, so we're moving to a tiny shack and there's no room for you. Sorry. 

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Lemons said:

I would be the tiny house is a vacation spot. When you have a 19 year old in college you are between having kids and being an empty nester. Dorms close in the summer, unless he has an apartment. But still, how insulting to the kid.  Yea, you're 19, so we're moving to a tiny shack and there's no room for you. Sorry. 

I know many parents that stay for a while in their home or forever and many kids do come back while finding work or in between jobs if laid off. 

I would never do it unless I had too....I want them to visit and maybe grandkids one day. If I had a huge home I would downsize but never go tiny.

There was a woman who had a multi-colored tiny house on THH and she loved books. There was a lot of purple and pink I think. It was shown on a lot of promos, etc. She was telling her son on the show how bad she felt there wasn't room for him and so on. I see a couple of years later, it's for sale.  Cute, cozy and cramped can be wearing on anyone. The throwing out or donating to get something new is a nice idea but not always practical and sometimes I'm sure grows weary for some.

Edited by debraran
2 hours ago, debraran said:

I know many parents that stay for a while in their home or forever and many kids do come back while finding work or in between jobs if laid off. 

I would never do it unless I had too....I want them to visit and maybe grandkids one day. If I had a huge home I would downsize but never go tiny.

There was a woman who had a multi-colored tiny house on THH and she loved books. There was a lot of purple and pink I think. It was shown on a lot of promos, etc. She was telling her son on the show how bad she felt there wasn't room for him and so on. I see a couple of years later, it's for sale.  Cute, cozy and cramped can be wearing on anyone. The throwing out or donating to get something new is a nice idea but not always practical and sometimes I'm sure grows weary for some.

I know, think of all the holidays at grandma's house!  I understand downsizing to a 2 bedroom condo or something, but 200 square feet when you have other choices is ridiculous. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, auntjess said:

OK. I'm a bad person, but I want the Roloffs to be on Tiny House Hunters.

That's why, technically, this show should be called "Tiny-House Hunters." Otherwise, it's a show about little people buying houses. 

• Love 6

Did anyone catch Tiny Paradise? Much better than Tiny HH because they weren't on wheels. Though in both cases I was wondering why they didn't make the house slightly larger to make a more functional kitchen but that's because I love cooking.

So confused about the best friends in the Hawaii episode they kept referring to it as "their" house but it only had one bed and at the end they introduced one of theirs boyfriend.

• Love 3

I was wondering why they didn't make the Hawaii house taller so there would be more headroom in that loft bedroom.  I mean, they were building it and all, so why not add an extra foot?

• Love 3

I had questions  also. How far are they  from the stores? On windows  that you could  open in either  house that I could  see. They both looked like they would be very  hot with no a.c. or ability  to open windows  and have some  air flow.

29 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

that you could  open in either  house that I could  see. They both looked like they would be very  hot with no a.c. or ability  to open windows  and have some  air flow.

The house in Mexico the entire glass part of the house opened up if you wanted or you could just slide it open a crack. Hilo in Hawaii is typically the cooler side of the island and the two doors on either side of the could be opened for air flow.

• Love 1
(edited)

Another "build a house out of nothing" show.  FYI had a free showing of the first one. Kind of cool in a way but unless I missed something, there was no bathroom as stated in the beginning and I have no clue how they got water or electricity. I also didn't see a fridge or even a mini one.  It seems like they will saturate this theme in the future, but it's nice to reuse old things to make new ones. I  think it's interesting but the lack of explanation makes me feel it's more for show than usable. I might have missed something getting a cup of coffee, but if we have to hear about glass, floors and how to fit countertops, throw in how the couple will get the necessities to live out there.

http://www.fyi.tv/shows/you-cant-turn-that-into-a-house/season-1/episode-1

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2

Thanks for the link, Debraran.  I just watched the first episode.  YUCK to all that mud.  There is a small bathroom at one end of the tube/house behind a door that did not go all the way to the top of the ceiling.  They never showed that area, but you could glimpse the toilet which might have been a composting toilet.  They will probably have to be hooked up to an on site well for water or bring it in on an all terrain vehicle which they were using during the construction.  They also probably will have to use a generator for power and I noticed that the cooktop was electric so that means some type of electrical power generation will be needed.  The finished house looked cool, but I would only enjoy it during nice weather.  I don't like slogging through mud to enjoy a woods experience.  Did you notice all of the mud all over all of them in the final scene?   

• Love 2
(edited)
47 minutes ago, laredhead said:

Thanks for the link, Debraran.  I just watched the first episode.  YUCK to all that mud.  There is a small bathroom at one end of the tube/house behind a door that did not go all the way to the top of the ceiling.  They never showed that area, but you could glimpse the toilet which might have been a composting toilet.  They will probably have to be hooked up to an on site well for water or bring it in on an all terrain vehicle which they were using during the construction.  They also probably will have to use a generator for power and I noticed that the cooktop was electric so that means some type of electrical power generation will be needed.  The finished house looked cool, but I would only enjoy it during nice weather.  I don't like slogging through mud to enjoy a woods experience.  Did you notice all of the mud all over all of them in the final scene?   

Yes, I did..that took a lot of work I'm sure to get it done. One scene had the wood of full of mud they were bringing into the house. I'm sure it took longer than they said to get it finished. No heat source either so a summer/spring get-a-way.  I think the son will be bunking with them. ; )  The mud without a shower source...not fun.  Nice conversation piece though.  (I'd save the 50,000 myself though)

They are doing duel buses in the future and other containers. Definitely creative, zoning board would be suspect if they were considered permanent dwellings I'm sure. I  hope they still let you watch future shows on FYI site in the future without a cable company.

Edited by debraran
(edited)

New Tiny House Nation show for a foundation home...yea!  560sq feet. Two children, one in remission who's 3  from stage4 kidney cancer. (wishing her the best) and a 1 1/2 year old.

Downsizing from a 3400 sq foot home. They mention things like togetherness, saving money, maybe a job change, I wondered about medical bills too.  I have to say my inner child, my kid fantasies, was brought out in this home. I loved that kids room! Tree house from a real tree, ball pit, storage, slide.  I am thinking when the son is older, they have land to expand if they want too, you can see other homes around and they seem to have enough land. (3 acres) Crozet Virginia. I really liked this one. Master bedroom tiny and they might want to close in patio one day or put up temp walls to keep snow out but I think nicely designed.

I'm not sure they mentioned cost.

Here is an article for those who can't get FYI anymore. I see it on Amazon.

http://www.roanoke.com/photo/virginia-family-on-tiny-house-nation/collection_48704cd9-0cdd-5371-84c8-b1e61a101e3a.html

This article mentioned 115.000.   http://www.richmond.com/entertainment/virginia-family-featured-on-tiny-house-nation-this-saturday/article_847909d1-f281-5997-a27b-a75733bb6f14.html?fb_action_ids=1342476219205710&fb_action_types=og.comments

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, debraran said:

New Tiny House Nation show for a foundation home...yea!  560sq feet. Two children, one in remission who's 3  from stage4 kidney cancer. (wishing her the best) and a 1 1/2 year old.

Downsizing from a 3400 sq foot home. They mention things like togetherness, saving money, maybe a job change, I wondered about medical bills too.  I have to say my inner child, my kid fantasies, was brought out in this home. I loved that kids room! Tree house from a real tree, ball pit, storage, slide.  I am thinking when the son is older, they have land to expand if they want too, you can see other homes around and they seem to have enough land. (3 acres) Crozet Virginia. I really liked this one. Master bedroom tiny and they might want to close in patio one day or put up temp walls to keep snow out but I think nicely designed.

I'm not sure they mentioned cost.

Here is an article for those who can't get FYI anymore. I see it on Amazon.

http://www.roanoke.com/photo/virginia-family-on-tiny-house-nation/collection_48704cd9-0cdd-5371-84c8-b1e61a101e3a.html

This article mentioned 115.000.   http://www.richmond.com/entertainment/virginia-family-featured-on-tiny-house-nation-this-saturday/article_847909d1-f281-5997-a27b-a75733bb6f14.html?fb_action_ids=1342476219205710&fb_action_types=og.comments

Thanks for posting that.  I didn't see the episode because I stopped watching because I couldn't take the idiocy.  I still read here occasionally though, and I'm so glad to see them feature a foundation home of a more reasonable size for a family. 

• Love 2
On 7/16/2017 at 4:21 AM, debraran said:

Another "build a house out of nothing" show.  FYI had a free showing of the first one. Kind of cool in a way but unless I missed something, there was no bathroom as stated in the beginning and I have no clue how they got water or electricity. I also didn't see a fridge or even a mini one.  It seems like they will saturate this theme in the future, but it's nice to reuse old things to make new ones. I  think it's interesting but the lack of explanation makes me feel it's more for show than usable. I might have missed something getting a cup of coffee, but if we have to hear about glass, floors and how to fit countertops, throw in how the couple will get the necessities to live out there.

http://www.fyi.tv/shows/you-cant-turn-that-into-a-house/season-1/episode-1

I watched this episode and I wondered why they didn't show the bathroom.  I thought maybe it was because it wasn't finished because they only had something like 4 or 5 days.  

I also watched the second episode, which was a family in Texas who wanted to make some teen hangout place with a bison shed and storage container for $50k.  I hope those two teenage girls know how spoiled they are to have parents that are going to drop $50k on a place for them to hang out with their friends and I hope the parents know that all kinds of shit will be going down, since the "teen hangout" is not right next to the main house.   I'm impressed with what they did but surely the mother talking about how air (via window or whatever) is needed because, you know, Texas was a put on.  I also wonder about winter weather and the possibility of tornadoes. In any event, the bathroom turned out gorgeous and the bunk bed style bedroom was cool. I know the mother said she wanted for the girls to have the capability to have 4 friends sleep over (??) and one of the guys was counting two hammocks but I don't think anyone is going to want to sleep outside on a hammock in Texas if you don't have to. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

I watched this episode and I wondered why they didn't show the bathroom.  I thought maybe it was because it wasn't finished because they only had something like 4 or 5 days.  

I also watched the second episode, which was a family in Texas who wanted to make some teen hangout place with a bison shed and storage container for $50k.  I hope those two teenage girls know how spoiled they are to have parents that are going to drop $50k on a place for them to hang out with their friends and I hope the parents know that all kinds of shit will be going down, since the "teen hangout" is not right next to the main house.   I'm impressed with what they did but surely the mother talking about how air (via window or whatever) is needed because, you know, Texas was a put on.  I also wonder about winter weather and the possibility of tornadoes. In any event, the bathroom turned out gorgeous and the bunk bed style bedroom was cool. I know the mother said she wanted for the girls to have the capability to have 4 friends sleep over (??) and one of the guys was counting two hammocks but I don't think anyone is going to want to sleep outside on a hammock in Texas if you don't have to. 

I noted the floor to ceiling windows in the bathroom and bedroom with no curtains...not much around but still. One way to keep an eye on things. ; ) I wouldn't drop 50.000 on a house for the kids but since they are teens, maybe she is thinking of renting it later. I don't know who would want it out in the middle of nowhere, but you never know.  An incinerating toilet was a first for me. I guess it burns the waste?

I hope they do behave and not wreck the house but that is between parent and child.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, laredhead said:

They will probably have to be hooked up to an on site well for water or bring it in on an all terrain vehicle which they were using during the construction.  They also probably will have to use a generator for power and I noticed that the cooktop was electric so that means some type of electrical power generation will be needed. 

The must already have a link to power, because that had that ventless AC already hooked up.  I didn't see a toilet, but I'm glad someone spotted one.  The main house is fairly close, isn't it?  I figure it as a playhouse/guesthouse.

(edited)

Auntjess, my comment was about the show "you can't turn that into a house" or something to that effect.  It was an episode about 2 guys building a hunting camp out of a storage tank.  I did not see the bison shed episode.

Another show I watched has 2 men in Minnesota turning odd buildings into habitable spaces.  They turned a quonset hut into a guest house on an episode I saw yesterday.  The end result was very nice, but there was absolutely no insulation in that thing at all.  It's metal and I know the winters get very cold in Minnesota and there must be days in the summer when it gets very hot, and that metal building would be like an oven.  All they did was paint the interior and it was bare metal. 

Edited by laredhead
Add content
  • Love 1
(edited)

I saw a THH show about a couple moving to a tiny home in Montana. He wanted wheels, she didn't, they showed 2 rustic cabins, all over 500 sq feet with land by a river or stream with gorgeous views and 1 240 sq foot mobile tiny home without a stove (59,000)....guess what they picked? ; )  With all the tiny homes I've seen on THN, this one was "blah" for the cost but it fit what he wanted. They got land free for exchange of work for the time being.

What I found interesting was the prices out there. I never looked into Montana real estate but thought 210,000 was a lot for a one bedroom home but it had 6 acres. The last was under 200,000 but only 1 acre. It just seemed all over the place in pricing.

The announcer said they both had entry level jobs out of school and 35,000 in school loans and needed to be frugal so when the first was 210,000 and then 185,000, I thought that was a lot but I've been out of the market for a long time.

Edited by debraran

I wish I had a step father with tons of ocean front property on Maui! That lot was straight up stunning.

The morons in Olympia who have an outdoor show and toilet, I just can't. I just can't. I don't want to shower and shit where I grow my food, not to mention it didn't appear they had heating elements so it's going to be cold as fuck for a good part of the year. I also hated how he kept saying "my, my, my" for a home he was building with his partner for both if them to share.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I wish I had a step father with tons of ocean front property on Maui! That lot was straight up stunning.

The morons in Olympia who have an outdoor show and toilet, I just can't. I just can't. I don't want to shower and shit where I grow my food, not to mention it didn't appear they had heating elements so it's going to be cold as fuck for a good part of the year. I also hated how he kept saying "my, my, my" for a home he was building with his partner for both if them to share.

I watched the Maui one but it was in the background for part of it. Did I miss the place her children would sleep? I just saw a large loft bed?