Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Living Room Nanocluster

Here's a place for small talk and introductions!

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Hey, y'all,

I did some cleaning and reorganizing in here, bringing us more in line with the way current popular shows are handled at PTV - more topics with fewer posts. We think this makes it easier for people just catching up with the show to join in the conversation.

I know the multiple threads can be a little daunting, especially if you came here from One Threadville, but give it a shot! And don't worry about posting in the exact correct place at all times. I'm a Leonard, not a Sheldon, so that stuff doesn't bother me. If I see a thread headed off-topic, I'll just move them. ;)

PM me with any questions!

• Love 1

I was glad to see Jim Parsons win again as "Best Actor in a Comedy Series", but since I didn't see any of the other actors in their shows, I'm not really a good person to judge that.

But I've seen all but one of the "Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy" nominees, and I think Mayim Bialik was robbed (again). Her Amy Farah Fowler is one of the quirkiest and funny characters on television!

• Love 1

I finally got up to date.. previously I'd only seen up to season 5ish. 

I don't really know why it was renewed for 3 years.. it's quality definitely seems to have declined since I last watched it, and yet it's more popular.. it became too mainstream?

Interested to see where they go with season 8

• Love 3

I'll introduce myself!  I was Jenee on TWoP but was (and will always be, everywhere) generally a lurker.  I love TV but tend to lose track of anything other than sitcoms.  I watch those in real time but my dramas pile up on the DVR until I get a sick day and then I binge watch. 

BBT is my husband's favorite show.  Much to my chagrin, we watch an hour or two of BBT reruns every single day.  Raj is my favorite character, Leonard is my husband's, and we tend to flip the channel quickly when someone is about to be embarassed which means we flip a lot!  I loathe, loathe, loathe Amy Farrah Fowler.

Nice to meet everyone!

• Love 3

We just found BBT!  It's so well written and acted...we love it and can't understand how it has slipped through our fingers these past few years.  I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam but Sheldon is so classic Asperger's.  We have a 17 year old grandson who is an Aspie and we recognized it the first episode we watched.  I  have since read that the writers deny purposely doing this.  It doesn't matter, of course...Sheldon is wonderful (as is our grandson) and the show is hilarious.  I get the sense that cast members enjoy each other, interacting, having fun.  They are a great group!

• Love 8

I think this is where this post should go. 

I've missed the last 3 episodes and I don't care.

There was a time when this show was "must watch" and if I'd missed an episode I'd be streaming it to catch up.

Now?  Whatever. <shrug>

I don't think the show has jumped the shark.  That's way too dramatic.  It feels to me like it's being nibbled to death by guppies.

• Love 4

I'm totally off topic but I guess that's why this topic was created ?
I just noticed something very disturbing on instagram, indeed, Jim Parsons and Johnny Galecki don't follow each other ? That's kinda weird don't you think ? I mean they all follow each other, post photos of them together etc .... And I have never seen Jim post anything about Johnny, and vice versa.
Just posted this info to see if anyone would actually know something about them, if they don't like each other or I don't know  ... That would be weird.
Have a nice week everyone :)

I'm totally off topic but I guess that's why this topic was created ?

I just noticed something very disturbing on instagram, indeed, Jim Parsons and Johnny Galecki don't follow each other ? That's kinda weird don't you think ? I mean they all follow each other, post photos of them together etc .... And I have never seen Jim post anything about Johnny, and vice versa.

Just posted this info to see if anyone would actually know something about them, if they don't like each other or I don't know  ... That would be weird.

Have a nice week everyone :)

I would imagine that celebrities like them - especially those with big salaries! - have assistants managing their public instagram accounts. They may have separate personal accounts.

I'm not sure where I should post this so I thought here would be the best place.

My subconscious takes me to strange places sometimes.  Last night I had a Big Bang dream and boy, was it weird, to say the least.  I dreamt that I had just moved and I was trying to hook up my TV/VCR but some of the needed cables were missing.  I was in the building next to the BB gang and Sheldon & Amy came over, because they had helped me move in the first place.

So I asked if they knew where the cables were, and Sheldon informed me he had stored them in the kitchen because "there wasn't enough room" in the living room.  He showed me where he put them, which was in a space betwwen the floor kitchen cabinets and the wall.

Now here's where it's really weird -- it was date night, and Amy was wearing a wig, but it wasn't made from hair.  It was a red/gold wig, about shoulder-length, cut in a page boy, and made out of the same kind of heavy silk thread you use for embroidery, with gold glitter embedded in the thread.  It was quite brilliant; was almost like she had a portable fireplace on her head.

I asked her why she was wearing this wig and she said, like I was an idiot, "Because it's date night."

Then I woke up.

Like I said, my subconscious.  Scares me.

• Love 2

Now here's where it's really weird -- it was date night, and Amy was wearing a wig, but it wasn't made from hair.  It was a red/gold wig, about shoulder-length, cut in a page boy, and made out of the same kind of heavy silk thread you use for embroidery, with gold glitter embedded in the thread.

Sounds like you were inspired by her Raggedy Ann & C3PO episode.

• Love 1

In S&L's living room, sometimes* we get a view out the window and there are low mountains/hills.  I'm not familiar with the LA area (Pasadena?) but AIUI there is a line of low mountains somewhat back from the coast that can be seen when atmospheric conditions are good.  Is it safe to guess that these are what we see, so that this window looks east, probably across roads and buildings?

* most recently in "The Leftover Thermalization"

We've been watching BBT for a short time.  We love it and we laugh a lot. Nowadays it's nice to have something to sit back and belly laugh at.  However....the laugh track is so incredibly annoying.  I dislike laugh tracks in any case -- but BBT's seem really, really irritating.  Is it just me, or has this been a concern over the years?

Are you saying you dislike hearing laughter from the show you're watching (so a comedy like Psych would be better than a standard sitcom)? Or are you saying you don't like fake laughter from a machine when you watch a sitcom with laughter on it?

Because technically speaking, the show claims not to use a laugh track.

http://www.chucklorre.com/index-bbt.php?p=282

However, I assume they enhance and clean up the reactions they record for the aired episode.

We've been watching BBT for a short time.  We love it and we laugh a lot. Nowadays it's nice to have something to sit back and belly laugh at.  However....the laugh track is so incredibly annoying.  I dislike laugh tracks in any case -- but BBT's seem really, really irritating.  Is it just me, or has this been a concern over the years?

Interesting.  The laugh track has never bothered me (either on this show or any other).  It would be interesting to see if BBT's laugh track does bother more people than the  average sitcom's.

• Love 1

What seems like fake laughter to me is what annoys me.  For some reason it bothers me more on some shows than other shows so I tend to think it is purposely enhanced, to make me think the dialogue is funnier than it really is.  Some bits of dialogue may be clever and funny, but one wouldn't think they would generate the belly laughs I hear.  It's no biggie, just distracting....more so on some shows than other shows.

Yes, there are audience prep people...my daughter's friend did this once.  She said it was great fun and the audience was almost always happy to do what she wanted them to do, they felt they were finally in show biz.. 

In S&L's living room, sometimes* we get a view out the window and there are low mountains/hills.  I'm not familiar with the LA area (Pasadena?) but AIUI there is a line of low mountains somewhat back from the coast that can be seen when atmospheric conditions are good.  Is it safe to guess that these are what we see, so that this window looks east, probably across roads and buildings?

* most recently in "The Leftover Thermalization"

Pasadena is right at the foot of the San Gabriels, which climb very rapidly and are at their highest over 10,000 feet, and the view of them would be north, not east.  The range runs along the northern edge of the basin, a huge, massive, crumbling, growing wall of rock that likes to come rushing down into the basin during the intense rainstorms we get many winters.  If you ever get a chance, read John McPhee's "Los Angeles Against the Mountains" for an idea of how this huge range affects the LA basin.

• Love 1

Finally made the trek over here from TWOP (yes I know, always the last to get to the party).  I'm looking forward to chatting about some of my favourite shows - and tearing them apart too sometimes :).

• Love 3

Kunal has written a book, Yes, My Accent is Real. It's excellent; funny, sweet, enlightening.  Anyone who is interested in reading about his childhood and personal life should gobble this up.

Thanks for the heads up. I borrow e-books from the library and was pleasantly surprised to see they have it. I've put it on hold - 1 person ahead of me.

Finally made the trek over here from TWOP (yes I know, always the last to get to the party).  I'm looking forward to chatting about some of my favourite shows - and tearing them apart too sometimes :).

Welcome.   Guess you're a bit later than "fashionably late"  :)

Edited by buffynut
  • Love 1

I don't know where to post this, but will try here:

I heard the oddest thing on the reruns on TBS tonight -- there was a male voiceover who commented on the action of the scenes:  "Meanwhile, back at the apartment, the guys work on the app."  "Sheldon winks at Penny on the couch."  These are just a few.  (EP:  "The Bus Pants Utilization")  I watch the reruns all the time, and I've never heard anything like this.  It started at the end of the theme song, when the voice said "The Big Bang Theory"  I thought I had imagined that one.  Now the tag:  "A diagram of a new app:  Project Shoe"   Maybe this is for the visually impaired? 

That is for the visually impaired it's called "descriptive video service".   You may have inadvertently hit a button on your remote control that triggered this service or it could have been aired in that format by TBS by mistake. 

• Love 1

That is for the visually impaired it's called "descriptive video service".   You may have inadvertently hit a button on your remote control that triggered this service or it could have been aired in that format by TBS by mistake. 

Thanks, Homily.  No, I did not hit any button, as TBS was running the entire evening, and that was the only episode where I heard the voiceover.  Thanks for explaining! 

You may have inadvertently hit a button on your remote control that triggered this service or it could have been aired in that format by TBS by mistake

I don't know what's up, but this happened at the tail end of The Good Guy Fluctuation last night. The voice captioned Leonard closing his laptop, Sheldon coming out of the couch, and the first closing credit. I know I heard something similar a little while back near the beginning of a different episode. My guess is that there are corrupted copies of some of the episodes floating around, causing the captioning to be mistaken for regular audio,

I was just watching the Fun With Flags episode and thought how much fun the writers must have had writing for Sheldon.  "Thankfully their embarrassment was overshadowed by the rise of fascism."  Classic Sheldon.

• Love 1

Help! Does anyone know where Bernadette gets her cute little cardigans? I've noticed she has one in nearly every color to go with her dresses. They're perfect for a height challenged, big busted type figure.

/Asking for a friend.

• Love 1

Last week I attended a ceremony at Radio City where my niece received her  master's degree. At a restaurant afterwards, who should be at the next table but Kaley and Johnny. They did pose for some folks' selfies, but my family thought it was tacky. Let them have their dinner!

• Love 3

My boss, who happens to be a scientist (not quite as neurotic as Sheldon, but close...), is attending a meeting being held on the Queen Mary in Long Beach. I just booked his room. He doesn't watch the show so I can't explain to him how much this amuses me. I did tell him that I've heard they have a surprisingly gripping murder mystery dinner on board but he didn't seem interested.   

• Love 4

The second episode of the first season of Barney Miller, "Experience," (arguably one of the best episodes) has a scene in which the squad is researching known bombers in hopes of finding a currently active bomber. Barney reads a name from the list: Sheldon "Boom Boom" Hochsteader. Do you suppose...? Nah, probably just a coincidence.

• Love 1

A few days ago, I clicked on an article about the upcoming season and there was a screenshot of Sheldon on one knee proposing. Amy is wearing $70 Land's End slippers. How do I know this? I was wearing the exact same pair!!! (I bought mine for $7 at Goodwill though.)

the_big_bang_theory_s10e24_still_embed.j

• Love 4

Was watching Roseanne and it hit me - if they ever wanted to have Stuart's father on the show they should bring in another Roseanne alumn and use Micheal O'Keefe...............I think there's a pretty good resemblance there.

image.png.b51a92b5f20cddd12d040e483539179c.pngimage.png.4ef526be8cdb9f3f25e1d9863b9e4aa7.png 

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 2

Hello all!  Not sure if this is the place but here goes:  Can anyone identify those rounds things that are magnatized to the side of Bernie and Howard's fridge?  They are round and stick out about an inch from the fridge and don't seem to be holding anything to the fridge.  Yes, this is my Saturday night.  

• Love 1
21 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I don’t know what’s in them on the show, but this is probably what they are: (IKEA)

9D08ECA0-C293-4E3D-9B34-DB7D718CFE4A.jpeg

Thank you!  Now I have to look closer - I can't tell if there are spices in there or not.  I like the idea, though!

14 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

You can also put office supplies like push pins and paper clips in them.

This is how I've seen them used.  Personally, I think they are a bad design for spices--there is a reason you should keep spiced in a cabinet or dark place.  Some spices can go stale faster if exposed to light, even if they are in an air-tight container.  Plus, I know I would get some spice, not put the lid on tight enough, stick it back on my fridge, and end up spices all over my floor.

• Love 4