Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Living Room Nanocluster

I saw that. And I realized, there's 99.9% chance that if I didn't watch TBBT, I would never have known who he was.  And if I did, would never have felt sadness, hearing about his death. I wonder what the show will do to remember him?

7 minutes ago, buffynut said:

I saw that. And I realized, there's 99.9% chance that if I didn't watch TBBT, I would never have known who he was.  And if I did, would never have felt sadness, hearing about his death. I wonder what the show will do to remember him?

I hope they do something - at the very least a memorial at the end credits.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

I hope they do something - at the very least a memorial at the end credits.

I hope it's more than that. Sheldon considers Hawking a friend, and Howard has worked for him, so I want them to acknowledge his death on the show. I'm not sure whether all of this seasons's episodes are already in the can, but if there's still a way to squeeze it in, I hope they do.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I hope it's more than that. Sheldon considers Hawking a friend, and Howard has worked for him, so I want them to acknowledge his death the show. I'm not sure whether all of this seasons's episodes are already in the can, but if there's still a way to squeeze it in, I hope they do.

We saw a brief scene regarding the death of Howard's mom in the episode shown 100 days after  Carol Ann Susi died, and a storyline 121 days afterwards. If this season runs like last year, there are only 50 days left, so I expect anything more than something in a vanity card will have to wait until next season.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I wouldn't be offended if they brought back remote-controlled Stephen Hawking.  Yes, I am that person who thought that was hilarious.

Stephen Hawking was such a good sport about all of the jokes made at his expense.  I'm sure they ran the material past him before shooting some of those scenes.  My favorite was when Howard told Sheldon that he had to let Hawking win their online game because "everybody knows that Hawking is a big baby!" 

It's like the show Speechless.  They humanize the person with the disability.  I think our society tends to be super PC around individuals with disabilities, when many of them don't want to be pitied or talked down to.  They want to be treated equally, and like they said on the show Speechless,  just because JJ's in a wheelchair doesn't mean he's not a jerk sometimes. (I hope you all watch Speechless and know what I'm talking about.  I don't want this post to sound like I'm not being sensitive to those with disabilities.)   I liked Howard's connection to Hawking.  That was a fun storyline.  Like it was no big deal that one of his friends was Stephen Hawking!  Sheldon being in awe of Hawking, and then fainting when he gave him the paper with the mistake it in was hilarious.  

I'm sure the show will have a tribute to Hawking at some point.  I would expect something on the vanity card this week, but I figure they'll have a proper goodbye in a future episode. 

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I'm sure the show will have a tribute to Hawking at some point.  I would expect something on the vanity card this week, but I figure they'll have a proper goodbye in a future episode. 

Due to the NCAA basketball tournament, I think there will not be any new Big Bang Theory episodes for a couple of weeks.  It may be April before we see anything on a vanity card.

Edited by Zanzibar
3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

My favorite was when Howard told Sheldon that he had to let Hawking win their online game because "everybody knows that Hawking is a big baby!" 

My favorite was when Sheldon repeatedly drunk-dials Hawking and leaves him increasingly ridiculous messages.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, chocolatine said:

My favorite was when Sheldon repeatedly drunk-dials Hawking and leaves him increasingly ridiculous messages.

Geee-ode!!  And, "I kiss girls now!"    Rats that there won't be a new episode for awhile.  I forgot about the basketball tournament. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, chocolatine said:

7 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Geee-ode!!  And, "I kiss girls now!"    Rats that there won't be a new episode for awhile.  I forgot about the basketball tournament. 

Hilarious scene! I can't hear the word geode without thinking of it in Sheldon's voice and pronunciation. 

• Love 1
On 3/14/2018 at 10:50 PM, Zanzibar said:

Due to the NCAA basketball tournament, I think there will not be any new Big Bang Theory episodes for a couple of weeks.  It may be April before we see anything on a vanity card.

Why?  Why?  Why can't stupid March Madness be on a sports only channel.  Every year I get more pissed off.

• Love 6

I was just watching an older episode and noticed the library card catalogue in the background (not sure if that's still in Leonard and Penny's apartment or not) anyway was there ever an episode where they mention what they used it for?  I'd love to have one in my house and every now and then I see them go on sale but I'm not sure what' use I'd put it to other than a neat thing to have!

• Love 1

I would love one too!  It's been there for years in what was the guys apartment.  The are at least an inch taller and 1/2 inch wider, on both sides, as an index card.  Most people take the pole out and use if for cds, photos, mailing station and other stuff.  Great place to hide kids small toys too.

With what attitude do you watch BBT? We are probably all familiar with hate watching. In the forum for another show, the concept of "suspicious watching" came up. That is pretty close to my attitude to BBT, since it comes from the same stinking factory that spawned 2.5 Men.  I can never "put my weight down" with BBT. Even if I am enjoying a scene, the next line might be disgusting.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Driad said:

In the forum for another show, the concept of "suspicious watching" came up.

Hmm, I'm not sure I do that with BBT.  I enjoy the show most of the time but now that you mention this I do find that I am always waiting for instances of the misogyny I found on Two and a Half Men.  That was a show that started off well and I could overlook a lot of the crap because there was some damn funny stuff in there.  And then there wasn't.  With BBT I've never found they've descended to the depths that TAHM could plumb - generally I think it's better written with more likable characters.  When it does have a line that makes me cringe (Howard describing his WIFE as having money bags and fun bags for instance) I do think "yeah, Lorre show" but so far it hasn't been enough to make me stop watching.

• Love 2

Hey all, the Small Talk topic is for non-show discussion — anything that’s NOT about The Big Bang Theory. If you want to discuss frame of mind for watching BBT, or compare it to similar shows, feel free to start a topic if one doesn’t already exist.