Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E22: Live Top 8 Performances

• Start Topic

Im a big Luke fan but ouch.. I felt like he was holding back on that performance and I love that song and really wanted him to kill it but he sounded a bit shaky to me I agree with Adam and the critique he gave. I hope Luke makes the top 5 but im a little worried now...

• Love 3

I'm rooting for Danica. Her voice is lovely to listen too. She seemed to hit some funky notes towards the end tonight, but I'd still rather listen to her sing anything.

I'm also liking CWB. He can hold my attention even if I don't think he naturally has the best voice.

Too bad Team Adam is being clustered late in the show. I need at least 2 of them in the bottom 3 this week, please and thank you.

I liked the way Taylor Three Names ignored everything Gwen was trying to say and did his own thing. LOL I liked what he did with Royal. It was interesting, and I like a guy who chooses to stay or go on his own vision.

Pharrell has been scary bad this season. I don't even know what to say about him anymore.

• Love 1

I forced myself to wait to the end of show post... it was harrrd.

How and why is Pharrell so bad at this?! He is a producer. He has produced some of the biggest songs in recent years and yet he only ever gives out oldies. I predict no Luke after this week which bums me out. 

I can't imagine anyone picking Pharrall as their coach next season. Yeeesh.

Like, he knows he likely won't have anyone after this week? Does he have plans coming up? Was this in the way of his schedule??

I really like TJW and Matt. Both were very good, though I think Adam makes me have an inherent dislike for Matt, and despite her admitting she is not helping him at all, I'd like to see a lady win the voice, so go team Gwen and TJW.

Matt reminds me a lot of City and Colour.

I imagine Adam will have all of his three in the top five and he will be insufferable. Even more so.

Gwen and Pharrell's performance was just strange.

• Love 3

Well time to vote, and with 3 artists going home I have to be really picky and not think about past performances too much. Im only voting for Matt and Damien tonight because I enjoyed their performances the most and think they belong in the top 5.  Craig Wayne Boyd is definitely in the top 5 so there is no need for me to vote for him the country music  fan base will do that for me lol

• Love 1

I think that Craig did an amazing job, as did Damion. I as usual also liked Matt's performance even if I never heard of the song. So those three got my votes. I also got bored during Luke's performance but I guess his music isn't my style.

And I didn't get Gwen and Pherell's performance and turned the sound off half way through because I couldn't stand it.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1

How has Blake never heard The Blower's Daughter? It was the soundtrack of that Natalie Portman movie Closer. SMH

Because that was a blockbuster phenom that anyone should be ashamed not to have watched? 

• Love 13

Gwen and Pharrell's song made me feel like an old lady going,"Huh, you call this music? And what the hell is she wearing?"

But then I remembered that she and I are the same age and grew up listening to many of the same alternative bands and being inspired by the same new wave fashions. And Then I decided that Gwen probably didn't like her onesie or song either. She just probably thought they were cool.

• Love 5

This was a much better show than last week.  I think everyone at least sang well tonight, although there were still some lackluster performances.  

Standouts by far for me were Matt and Damien.  

Next step down would be Taylor and DaNica. I liked Taylor's vibe and how he made the song his own, but I was getting bored by the second half. For DaNica, I thought she sounded fantastic when she was belting but couldn't understand her the rest of the time.  

I like Luke but came away a little bored. I think his performance was good and would fit in great as part of a set. But for a reality singing competition, this one performance has to be more wow.  

Kind of bored by Chris. Also bored by Craig singing a song that I love. It seemed like the background singers were drowning him out a bit.  Does anyone else find it odd that Blake and Adam are commenting on staging? I don't remember that in past seasons. The Blake/Craig pre-taped bit seemed especially scripted to me.  

Ryan is just bland. Vocals were on point on a difficult song but he needs to learn how to entertain. He seems way too amateur compared to the rest of the group.

Eliminating 3 contestants in one night is kind of brutal. I care mainly that Matt and Damien stay and Ryan leaves. 

Edited by Noreaster

Pharrell is definitely terrible at this. I wouldn't be surprised if he loses Danica AND Luke tomorrow. And I like those two, they're great singers, but they've both become stale and boring and stunted. I wish they'd get rid of him next season and bring on Taylor Swift with Christina. Two women and someone besides Blake who could get some country singers.

I love Matt, Craig, and Chris- they'd be my final 3. What is it about Taylor John Williams that I'm not seeing? His performances are always really awkward to listen to for me and he looks like a mannequin.

• Love 1

I have to give Chris props for rising to the occasion again. Both this week's song and last week's song seemed out of his wheelhouse but he delivered. I don't think he gave the best performance of the night but I was expecting it to be embarrassingly horrible and it wasn't. Out of all of the contestants he seems like he can work with whatever he's given to put on a good show. The other contestants either play it safe in one genre or crash and burn (a la Reagan).

I like T3's and Luke's singing voices but I think they'd be better as frontmen in a band.

I would have loved to have seen Damien try 'Uptown Funk' last week or something more upbeat. I guess he knows what works for him and stays within it but his performances are becoming a little tiresome. 

I predict Craig Wayne Boyd for the winner... he definitely has the most 'Voice'-y storyline and, like the Swon Brothers, he seems well-equipped to hit the ground running after a win. I'm all for him!

• Love 2

How and why is Pharrell so bad at this?! He is a producer. He has produced some of the biggest songs in recent years and yet he only ever gives out oldies. I predict no Luke after this week which bums me out.

Like, he knows he likely won't have anyone after this week? Does he have plans coming up? Was this in the way of his schedule??

Chris got an 80's song too (same with Danica & Luke), but his performance of the "oldies" song feels fresh. Luke's song was a terrible choice not because it's from the 80's, but rather the melody itself is very very very repetitive.

If You Don't Know Me By Now would have been a much better song for #Luke-ify, if they really wanted to go Simply Red. The song fits his style imo.

Hey, at least Luke didn't sing Spark the Fire. That was, as Simon would say, ghastly.

• Love 4

I'll admit I haven't watched this show much since the auditions. (I believe the one battles episode I saw was the one where Ricky Manning performed "Wrecking Ball" and then Pharrell picked the other guy... Which pretty much sealed the deal for me to jump ship.) So I can't say if there was better talent that was unfortunately offed too early before I saw this episode. But wow is the show awful this year.

Of the ones I saw, I think Damien, Danica, and TJW should make it through and I don't even fully like any of them. It would be nice if all of Adam's contestants were annihilated, but I know that'll never happen. As someone who actually has heard "The Blower's Daughter," I thought the last guy was awful. What a mess.

It's a shame since the season seemed to have so much potential coming into it.

• Love 1

Off all The Eagles song's, why that old chestnut for CWB? it's old, even in the Eagles catalogue (1972). And it's a deceptively hard song to sing, with lots of long held notes. That's so the Eagles classic harmonies can shine, and that's what made it a hit. if Craig/Blake wanted fast song, that Glenn Fry sang, why not "Heartache Tonight"?(1979).

Ryan has to be bottom three again this week.Props tho,  for trying to sing Steve Perry, but it just didn't happen. Your voice is just too thin sounding in the upper register. When Steve Perry sings the softer parts of the song, you just know there's a raging beast of a voice banging the bars trying to get out and soar to the clouds. Ryan just doesn't have the chops for that song.

Danica...again...props for attempting to sing Heart, she nearly landed it.

Damian....have to admit you had the best performance tonight.

Matt....like Blake, I'm not familiar with the song, but it was a good (but not great) performance.

Taylor 3 Names...bottom three

Chris....white guys can't jump, and you just can't bring it to a Marvin Gay classic. Although, you be cute. (I say that in a totally hetro way as well) Time to go home and deliver some more mail.

Luke...time to go home. You've had too many squandered opportunities.

• Love 1

Random thoughts on tonight's show:

Damn, I miss Marvin Gaye. I remember how shocking the lyrics  of "Sexual Healing" were when he first released it.  (video version) He pretty much invented the booty call ballad, imo. And even today, when booty call songs are practically a genre to themselves, SH is still pretty shocking. All I can say about Chris's performance was that it wasn't as bad an attempt as Luke Wade's singing "Let's Get It On."

I think Danica just sung herself out of the competition. Her usual perfect pitch failed sadly on several of the big notes at the end. She made the lyrics incomprehensible, she dragged the tempo, and I don't care what Pharrell thinks, she is not a rocker and never will be. What's wrong with a singer in the Whitney-Mariah-Celine category? I'm not sure Danica is quite in that league, but she's never gonna be a Wilson sister.

If Ryan can't figure out how to present a clichéd audience-grabber like "Open Arms" in a way that connected to the audience, he's not ready for a big stage yet.

Damien fights past Adam's determination to turn him into a soul singer circa 1971, and does a beautiful job on a beautiful current song. He's the only one left I'm hoping to see make it to the end.

Three Name Taylor leaves me cold, every time.  I think his picture is next to "Trying Too Hard" in the dictionary.

• Love 3

Voice frontrunner Matt continues to be the frontrunner, while I remain unimpressed:

iTunes 6 Matt McAndrew The Blower’s Daughter (The Voice Performance) & 83 Matt McAndrew Take Me To Church (The Voice Performance)
16 Damien Someone Like You (The Voice Performance)
19 Taylor John Williams Royals (The Voice Performance)
24 Craig Wayne Boyd Take It Easy (The Voice Performance) & 54 Craig Wayne Boyd I Walk the Line (The Voice Performance)
30 Chris Jamison Sexual Healing (The Voice Performance)
72 DaNica Shirey These Dreams (The Voice Performance)
91 Ryan Sill Open Arms (The Voice Performance)
115 Luke Wade Holding Back the Years (The Voice Performance)

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 2

I have a bit of a problem with Adam always getting the best spot for his singers.  He was the only coach with all 3 singers.  Yet the other 3 coaches all had 1 of their singers perform before any of Adam's 3 performed.  Blake has one singer left.  And yet CWB sang 2nd.  I notice this every season.  Adam always gets the best spots for his singers. 

This shouldn't bother me but it does.  I end up resenting Adam's singers.  Why do they always get to close the show?

I found a lot of the songs boring tonight.  My prediction for tomorrow night is Ryan, Luke and Danica in trouble.  Adam is getting too much help for his singers to go home.

• Love 6

If You Don't Know Me By Now would have been a much better song for #Luke-ify, if they really wanted to go Simply Red. The song fits his style imo.

I really agree with you. That would have been great!

I guess my issue isn't so much the oldies (though I feel like it's only been oldies) but it's these songa that no one really knows... even the Ed Sheeran song he sang was not a big hit... he easily could have done Kiss Me.

Last week when he had a more well known song, I wasn't worried but it's giving people this more obscure songs that I don't understand. This just isn't the format for it.

For the T8, their beneficial timeslots (with the lives being more important of course):

Ryan N/A.

Danica final slot on a Monday battle.

Luke final slot on a Monday battle and a Monday knockout.

Damien 2nd-to-last slot on playoffs.

Matt got a live final slot.

Craig lost a Monday final knockout and got a final slot for playoffs.

Chris during live rounds has a 2nd-to-last and a last slot.

Taylor got a playoffs final slot and 2 live 2nd-to-last slots.

Surprised that Matt hasn't gotten it more often given how he's dominating actually.

I am not sure how they slot in the performer's for most of the show, but I recall reading a producer's interview whereby they stated that they save the final performance slot for a contestant who will have a "moment".  Sometimes, they haven't even decided until after dress rehearsal.  Saving the most buzzy-worthy performance for last ensures the show finishes on a high note.  It will also wash away all out of key performances. :)

• Love 1

Chris - beyond horrible song choice. He deserves to stay just for making the best of it. (And his falsetto..damn..) Please keep the cute boy around. 

Damien - Beautiful vocal. Just beautiful. I don't quite like what he did to the song, but it was gorgeous none the less.

Matt - performance of the live rounds. I haven't been that excited about him, and he's still not my style..but everything just worked. Wonderful song choice. He emoted well. He sung beautifully..it was just perfect. 

Ryan - lol..go home. 

TJW - He's impressive to me. He's actually a creative person that thinks about his interpretation..something I'm not sure Reagan (who I did like) really does. Plus, there's something about his tone I adore. I wouldn't mind it if he won. (Although I think this is Matt's to lose.) 

Danica - not so great of glory notes. Definite step down from last week. 

Luke - boring. Probably worse than Ryan. 

Craig - deserves to be in the B4 after that. Safe. Boring. And didn't sing as well as he normally does. But he won't be there.

B4 - Luke, Ryan and Danica are definites..I'd say Chris is likely the fourth, but Damien could make an appearance there. And I'd say the team Adam contestant in the B4 is probably going to win. (Although Danica could give them troubles.) 

• Love 1

I think it's absurd that Matt and Chris got to close out the show again.

Thank God Damien picked his own song this week. He had the moment I've been waiting for all season from any contestant. First song I've downloaded all season. Adam had probably picked out another tired soul song from the 60s/70s for Damien to sing. Good for him for putting his foot down. Damien needs to pick his own songs from here on out.

Pharrell is killing his contestants by reworking all of these songs into slow jams. He's taking all the dynamics out of the song and it just hangs there lifeless now.

That Pharrell and Gwen performance has officially passed the Melanie boat fiasco from season 3. That is literally the worst piece of crap I've ever seen on any singing contest show. Both should be barred from ever being coaches/judges again after that performance. Lord that was embarrassing.

In a just world, the final 4 would be:

Damien - Great voice and only one this season I see putting emotion into their performances

Danica - Best voice on the show

Craig - Best stage presence on the show

Matt - Because he is the only other one I can tolerate

I think we are going to see Craig and Matt sail into next week. I hope Damien is safe. Unfortunately it looks like Winona Ryder is going to be safe as well. There is a really scary chance that Chris makes it into the finale over Damien, which would just be a complete tragedy.

I almost threw Chris some pity votes due to Adam sticking him with that bad song but then I saw crazy people were actually downloading it and now I am just annoyed. He sang it badly and the song is really only decent sung by Marvin Gaye. Everyone else just takes all the sex and danger out of the song and turns it into something Clay Aiken would sing. Blech.

Edited by pivot
  • Love 5

Chris got an 80's song too (same with Danica & Luke), but his performance of the "oldies" song feels fresh. Luke's song was a terrible choice not because it's from the 80's, but rather the melody itself is very very very repetitive.

That's interesting because I couldn't wait for Chris' performance to end. It felt extremely loooong. But I did sit through it whereas with Luke I could barely make it through the peformance without forwarding it by the end. It petered out quite sadly. Luke has regressed dramatically and I blame Pharrell.

It makes me sad that he's going to be here for back to back seasons because he's just so utterly clueless about what the audience wants to hear from the contestants. That being said, I thought Danica sounded good for the most part. I wish her performance itself, though, hadn't been so static.

Matt continues to not be my cup of tea but is banging out good performances. So good job to Adam there. I thought Damien's performance felt a bit tortured IMHO but there's no denying this guy can sing.

I don't really feel any particular connection with any of the contestants left and they're not IMO charismatic enough to carry this show. It's, for me, a very lacklustre Top 8 and overall it's been a lacklustre season. I'm just ... I'm bored. And I miss Usher.

ETA. Oh and I almost forgot. Gwen and Pharrell's performance. I feel like that performance was like a bad acid trip or conversely would have been made better by actually being on acid. As I've never been on acid, though, don't take my word for it.

Edited by Village
  • Love 1

Pharrell is killing his contestants by reworking all of these songs into slow jams. He's taking all the dynamics out of the song and it just hangs there lifeless now.

[cut]

That Pharrell and Gwen performance has officially passed the Melanie boat fiasco from season 3. That is literally the worst piece of crap I've ever seen on any singing contest show.

[cut]

...the song is really only decent sung by Marvin Gaye. Everyone else just takes all the sex and danger out of the song and turns it into something Clay Aiken would sing. Blech.

Yes, yes, yes! Pivot you are on fire tonight!

• Love 3

I really agree with you. That would have been great!

I guess my issue isn't so much the oldies (though I feel like it's only been oldies) but it's these songa that no one really knows... even the Ed Sheeran song he sang was not a big hit... he easily could have done Kiss Me.

Last week when he had a more well known song, I wasn't worried but it's giving people this more obscure songs that I don't understand. This just isn't the format for it.

Not knowing a song is all relative, though.  For example, I've never heard "The Blower's Daughter" before and so have no idea if it was sung well or not.  All I know is that it didn't hold my attention.  Whereas I know and like "Holding Back The Years", though Luke didn't do the song justice.

I give Ryan props for even trying "Open Arms" and not doing that bad of a job of it.  Everyone is going to suffer compared to Steve Perry, but it was listenable.  Of course, now I have the ear worm...

Danica was good until she got to the end of "These Dreams", but then she started to take liberties that didn't work so well.

I like Damien, but that song didn't do much for me.  I had my fill of male falsetto voices with the Bee Gees, and men singing that way  does nothing for me.  I was glad, though, that he was singing a song that HE wanted to do.

Chris' version of "Sexual Healing" got all the teenies hot and bothered, probably never having heard that song before.  Again, it's such an iconic song, this time belonging to Marvin, that it took some guts to attempt it and at least do it as well as a too-young white guy could.

T3N and "Royals" - meh

CWB - I would have chosen a different Eagles song, or perhaps a Bob Seger one.

I can't bear to watch most of the show anymore but that last performance was offensive in its undue praise. He eviscerated it and I don't mean that in a good way. It's one of those songs that shouldn't be used to showboat your voice, like what contestants tend to do with Imagine.

Blake only started paying attention to what was going on in the music world outside of Nashville when he needed to for this gig so there's no way he'd heard of that song. It'd be a pleasant change to have someone with extensive music knowledge like Chris Martin fill in for him for a season if the show can afford that deal.

• Love 2

Go, Damien! I have no doubt Adam had chosen another 40 year old song from some black guy and Damien finally stopped listening to all the "Trust me" b.s. and stood up for his style. I really, really, really hope he doesn't go home after doing it because I still think he's got a great voice and delivery and deserves to be in top 4. (And I hate that ad above with the "TSA agent" "Stay Home Mom" and "Hearthrob" etc.Stop, show! Please.  

Also please stop giving Adam's contestants the closing spots (or close to). Having the whole team Adam finish was really irritating. Especially because Chris is really not happening, sorry.

Luke started so strong and was my favorite in the beginning, but he's lost it lately , not sure why, but I know Pharrell's choices, including in production, haven't helped. I hope Danica makes it past Wednesday--love her voice--but I won't be surprised if she doesn't.

Ryan's a goner, though I'd be happy to see Chris go first, it's not happening. TJW may or may not go through. If he left so Damien and Danica could stay, that'd be fine. I find him forgettable and kind of creepy.

CWB will be there. I'd like to see Danica, Damien, Luke and Matt rounding out F5. But TJW and Chris will probably bump two of them.

• Love 1

Did Craig get the lyrics messed up when he substituted the second line from the third verse (looking for a lover) in the first verse? At first I thought it was a screw up but he covered it well, so maybe it was just jarring since I've heard that song about 80 million times.  Which surprised me that he would have done that because, as a bar singer doing country rock, he must have sang that song about 80 million times.  Plus I can't imagine that Adam would miss the opportunity to give him a back handed compliment about "covering his mistake so well".  

So maybe it was that "two that want to stone me" was just too risque?  That seemed like a logical reason until they busted out Sexual Healing later in the show.

I don't remember Carson's actual words, but the way he teased the performance I thought it was going to be Heartache Tonight, and I was kind of pumped to hear CWB do that one.  Take It Easy is just so repetitive that it's mind numbing.  With the possible exception of Lyin' Eyes, it's probably the most tired and played out song in the Eagles catalog.  And this is coming from someone who actually likes most of the Eagles' stuff.

For all the Adam trashing on these forums, his contestants have been doing well--iTunes Charts tonight were really interesting to watch right after the show.

Whereas Danica probably technically has the best voice on the show and Luke has one of the most unique (in a good way, I love his voice) and yet Pharrell's coaching and arrangements have not been good-esp for Luke.

On the plus side, neither of them were subjected to performing a disaster like his and Gwen's duet.

Edited by Cramps
  • Love 2

The Blower's Daughter is one of my favorite songs and I think Matt killed it tonight. What a great performance, it gave me chills.

I also love Damien, Taylor and CWB, but hated the song choices. Better luck next week!

• Love 1

TBH I walked the dogs rather than watch Matt...and apparently he was good-ish. Oh well. 

If Pharrel wanted to present Danica as a rocker there are much better Heart songs to give her.  Magic Man, Barracuda come to mind.

I think they are saving the Segar til closer to the end for CWB.  Didn't Segar come and duet with a guy last year? 

I was not thrilled with Royals...I felt he didn't do a great perfoemance this week.  Hated the Marvin Gaye. It's not my fave of Marvin's songs and , like Witney I don't think they do anyone any favours in a competition.

Luke was rough. I see what they tried to do but I think he screwed it up.

I liked the show fine when I was listening, but afterwards, I really couldn't remember anything about it.

Luke started so strong and was my favorite in the beginning, but he's lost it lately , not sure why, but I know Pharrell's choices, including in production, haven't helped.

Yea, frankly I'm surprised at his regression as well. After his Battles, I was like, this guy is so gonna win. Maybe he needs Alicia Keys as his coach, not Pharrell.

I also thought, after Battles, Pharrell had this season signed sealed delivered; but sigh, P scribble on the envelope, rip it up, then deliver it to Adam's house down the street.

Itunes at 8:50 EST:

2 - Matt

7 - Damien

8 - Taylor

14 - CWB

15 - Chris

43 - DaNica

55 - Ryan

61 - Luke

The top three are a lock and CWB and Chris should go on but that depends on the other means of voting.

Damien is fabulous when he gets a good song choice.    He and Danica have the best voices of the group this season.

Craig has the best stage presence and looks mighty good up there.  Bob Seger sang with the Swon Brothers a few seasons ago, and  I could see him coming back to the show and singing with Craig also.   Craig's style is similar, but he's no Bob.   Still, they would probably be good together.  

I think Ryan has a pretty voice, and this was his best performance.     But he's most likely gone tonight.   He has no visible tattoos, no hats, no longish hair styled to look unkempt or buzz cut to look fuss-free and cool.   He's just a cute kid who kind of gets lost in the crowd of cooler guys.

There are none that I don't like, though my least favorites are Taylor, who seems to try too hard to be different and even gimmicky with that hat, and Luke, whom I just don't connect with.

Matt is a good singer with a cute retro look in his Jim Morrison hair and John Denver glasses.  I like that combination. 

Chris is okay. 

I don't have a favorite to win, so it's been fun just watching for the entertainment.

Gwen and Pharrell's performance was just awful.

Edited by crocosmia
  • Love 1

So WTF was up with Gwen and Pharrell’s song? Yikes. From getting lowered onto the stage on a Super Mario cloud, to Gwen’s modified cloud print hammer pants…what in the hell did we just witness? I don’t think I have the mental capacity to process what happened there.

My prediction is Ryan will finally stop circling the drain tonight and finally be voted off.

Luke definitely lost his mojo. He was one of my early favorites but poor song choice and poor arrangement killed him tonight. I would bet money that he will be “singing for his life” (TM Carson) tonight.

I really liked DaNica’s version of These Dreams until the end. Whatever she was going for there did not work and it made my face involuntarily wince.

Craig sang a safe song choice and did it well. I found it to be a typical Blake song choice at this stage in the game: not too risky and knowing his contestant will be able to nail it.

TJW: I don’t get the appeal. His broody Royals was fine but he continues to do nothing for me.  Also, I can’t unsee the fact that he looks like Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder’s love child and I find it distracting.

I love that Damien finally sang a current song and did it well. I hope he goes through and if he does, I hope Adam lets him pick his own damn songs from here on out.

Chris…he did a better job with Sexual Healing than I expected but I still wasn’t feeling it (purely subjective, just wasn’t my thing). I loved Gwen’s comments about her parents “ear muffing” her when that song would come on back in the day.

I thought Matt did a great job with Blower’s daughter and he deservedly got the last slot of the night.

• Love 3