Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

So if a category is just "Authors", can we assume all the answers are men?

On the clue where the answer was "battered", Michael gave an incorrect answer, and the woman contestant (can't remember her name) also was wrong, then Alex told her she gave the same answer Michael just did. I thought one of them said "drenched" and the other "dredged". It annoyed me that he heard wrong and then scolded her for it, especially since he'd just gotten done being all amazed that a little ol' girl would travel all by her lonesome. It was a particularly annoying game for Alex.

I heard that as well - she gave a similar but different answer that Alex heard as being the same thing. They were both very different from the actual answer, but she definitely didn't deserve that comment by Alex.

• Love 3

But I have a helluva lot of fun by myself looking at weird crap from RoadsideAmerica.com.  LOL.

Road trip! Another fan of Roadside America and the sorts of things it chronicles.

• Love 3
thought the FJ was incredibly simple, and didn't even consider another author.  Maybe if "Oriental" hadn't been in the clue, Amy Tan might've sprung to mind, but that's just such an older Western term that Pearl Buck seemed obvious.

me too. PG was an instaget for me and not one moment of second guessing

Simone de Beauvoir said women are the "other". She must have been thinking about Jeopardy: men are "authors, women are "women authors" 

Simone de Beauvoir said women are the "other". She must have been thinking about Jeopardy: men are "authors, women are "women authors"

And artists, scientists, leaders/heads of state ... The J! crew should be ashamed of themselves for still peddling this crap in 2015.

• Love 5

The use of the word "Oriental" for Asian definitely clued me in that it was an earlier generation of writer, so I went with Pearl Buck immediately. I didn't even think of Amy Tan as an option.

(Question--does anyone else call her "Pearl S. Buck," or is that just me?)

• Love 2

The use of the word "Oriental" for Asian definitely clued me in that it was an earlier generation of writer, so I went with Pearl Buck immediately. I didn't even think of Amy Tan as an option.

(Question--does anyone else call her "Pearl S. Buck," or is that just me?)

Always Pearl S. Buck; never just Pearl Buck.

• Love 4
I think I'm glad I missed tonight's game.  Prefacing various professions with "Female" (or, worse yet, "Woman") drives me nuts, and as a woman whose preferred method of travel is to explore alone, the whole "OMG, really, you go by yourself?!" response - which I have yet to ever see directed at a man - bugs me on an even more personal level.

What the hell is wrong with you, Alex?  Women traveling alone have the best chance of meeting hot foreign guys. 

• Love 3

Closed captioning showed both Michael and the girl answering "dredged". No one said "drenched"...Alex was just stating the obvious. But he didn't really need to do so.

That's what my closed captioning showed too, same answer.  But I've seen closed captioning be wrong.  And I also wish Alex wold stop over-explaining stuff or even interjecting his own comments.

• Love 3

I find closed captioning to be wrong quite often. I don't use it much at home, but my gym plays CNN with the sound off and closed captioning on, and some of the stuff the CC comes up with is downright comical.

• Love 3

I have always been a person who is annoyed with running up the score in any sport, even while understanding if the other team didn't want to get run on, they should stop the scoring from happening. So while I understand that the goal in Jeopardy! is to earn as much money as you can, I still find wagering that much distasteful when you are SO FAR AHEAD of your competitors.

Also, he's a board jumper. But, he doesn't SEEM like a jerk, so I guess it's my own idiosyncracies I'm projecting here.

I really wish he hadn't self-corrected his Angelou flub. And, that shouldn't even have been a DD in the first place.

The Godfather was the only movie I came up with and I wasn't sure if the year was right.

• Love 1
(edited)

I have always been a person who is annoyed with running up the score in any sport, even while understanding if the other team didn't want to get run on, they should stop the scoring from happening. So while I understand that the goal in Jeopardy! is to earn as much money as you can, I still find wagering that much distasteful when you are SO FAR AHEAD of your competitors.

Also, he's a board jumper. But, he doesn't SEEM like a jerk, so I guess it's my own idiosyncracies I'm projecting here.

I really wish he hadn't self-corrected his Angelou flub. And, that shouldn't even have been a DD in the first place.

The Godfather was the only movie I came up with and I wasn't sure if the year was right.

This. I'm really getting tired of Michael for some reason. Every time he bets his stupid $7,000 on a DD, I hope he gets it wrong. Plus, he's started making weird facial expressions. Or I'm just trying to find something wrong with him to justify my annoyance.

FJ was pretty easy.

Edited by CarpeDiem54

I'm not enjoying Michael either. He takes over a game, not unlike Ken Jennings, but he's not as fun to watch or as personable, IMO. Not sure I can articulate it any better than that. I agree that the huge DD bets are unnecessary, but Ken may have done that too, and I honestly never had any problems with Ken's play. So yeah, can't really explain my reaction to Michael.

Mannix being a TS made me feel old. 

• Love 2

But once it's confirmed that the game is a runaway, the other two have already lost at that point and it doesn't matter if Michael bet $1 or all of it (a la Cliff Clavin).  It's just a matter of how much money the winner takes home.  I don't begrudge Michael betting big at all -- he may lose tomorrow.

I missed the first half of the DJ round, so I was astounded that when I got back to the episode that Michael had such a substantial lead -- did he find both DDs in the DJ round ?

I like Michael and I enjoy his $7000 wagers.  It's gutsy and he could just as easily lose the money.  I was surprised at how much he wagered for FJ, though.  I thought for sure he would do his usual $7000.  I guess he didn't want to be predictable. 

• Love 1

I'm enjoying Michael. I like when I can see the light bulb click on for contestants.

And his betting strategy is the same as Ken Jennings: he makes it so the game doesn't come down to a single clue (FJ) which is really quite smart when it comes to risk management. I understand why people who watch the game for the excitement of crowning a winner would find it anticlimactic, but that isn't why I watch or what excites me in a match.

• Love 3

I was listening from another room & misunderstood the clue.  For some unfathomable reason, I said Jack Lemmon.

I had the clue right in front of me and I still said Sylvester Stallone.  I didn't think he got much respect. But I don't think he was even around much in 1972.  I was sure they wanted the actor's name, not the movie.

After the Mannix TS, I was just waiting for Alex to say "It was before your time." - but he managed to control himself.

• Love 2

I hate runaway games, so I was rooting for Michael to get all his daily doubles wrong.  But I have to admit, however grudgingly, that the boy knows a lot of stuff, 'cause he very rarely answers incorrectly.

I wasn't sure about the year but guessed The Godfather anyway; if any movie was ever all about respect, it's that one.  And I practically screamed "Mannix" at the tv.  Oh, the humanity!

So if a category is just "Authors", can we assume all the answers are men?

I assume the answers include both men and women.

(edited)

I can't fault Michael for trying to maximize his winnings. And I like it when the Daily Doubles really make a difference in the game, as opposed to when they might as well be any ol' clue. (Perhaps because it's somewhat rare? I'm not sure how I'd feel if the DDs always made a huge impact.)

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 1

But they never specify gender or race when talking about white males.  So I don't think it's just a narrowing down - in which case we'd also see "Male World Leaders" (or, you know, "Men World Leaders") or "White Authors" - but instead a reflection of the idea that white and male is the default when it comes to these professions; a category that just specifies the profession will be about white, male members of it, because women or ethnic/racial minorities won't be in the mix, they'll be shunted aside to their own category and ignored the rest of the time.

• Love 9
Ex champ had a couple of good ones today--
-Smokey Robinson and the Supremes
-Everybody loves Ray (the way he said it).

So it was definitely a good thing that he bet big in yesterday's runaway.  Because Michael is done.  But not even making FJ the day following a big payday was a little embarrassing.

FJ was way too easy.

• Love 5

I understand it's a 30+ year old show, but what part of that TV clue would give any indication that "Everybody Loves Raymond" would be the correct answer?

See now I feel badly for Michael. Although I also giggled at Smokey Robinson and the Supremes.

This was not a good show. Too many TS and wrong answers. Also, Kerry's monotone is my kryptonite. She seems nice enough but I just have very odd aural quirks.

I feel badly that Max's ghosting story is apparently the most interesting thing he could think of.

I was listening and not watching, so I spent most of FJ trying to thing of an eight letter word that would mean some sort of bug because I thought the category was "entomology."

But they never specify gender or race when talking about white males.  So I don't think it's just a narrowing down - in which case we'd also see "Male World Leaders" (or, you know, "Men World Leaders") or "White Authors" - but instead a reflection of the idea that white and male is the default when it comes to these professions; a category that just specifies the profession will be about white, male members of it, because women or ethnic/racial minorities won't be in the mix, they'll be shunted aside to their own category and ignored the rest of the time.

I haven't kept watch on this, but I could swear that non-male, non-white persons have been included in the broader categories as well as given their own categories.

I understand it's a 30+ year old show, but what part of that TV clue would give any indication that "Everybody Loves Raymond" would be the correct answer?

It was bizarre that two people thought the answer was "Everybody Loves Raymond." I know that Debra and Marie felt like single moms at times because their husbands were so unhelpful with the kids, but really! I felt old when "One Day at a Time" was a TS. I well remember the craziness surrounding Mackenzie Phillips, the Lindsay Lohan of the 1970's. Likewise "Grace Under Fire." It got me wondering what happened to Brett Butler. Last time I saw her, she guest starred on "My Name is Earl" as Joy's mom.

• Love 4

I got FJ instantly but then kept trying to think of something else because I couldn't believe it was that easy.

Wow, Michael went down in flames. Must have been tired or something to do that badly. I'm trying not to grin. Yes, I'm evil, but Smokey Robinson and the Supremes?

• Love 2

I feel badly that Max's ghosting story is apparently the most interesting thing he could think of.

It was kind of funny how it wasn't too far off of "to walk before" in FJ, though. Post-amble?

• Love 1

See now I feel badly for Michael. Although I also giggled at Smokey Robinson and the Supremes.

I think it was the last name "Romano" - I also immediately thought of Everybody Loves Raymond, but then the kids' names in the clue didn't work.

I also laughed at Smokey Robinson and the Supremes :P

I felt bad for Michael.  You guys all jinxed him, I think (just kidding).  But hey, he walked out with $96,000.  I can't feel too badly for him.  He was off his game for sure.  Everybody Loves Ray?  The Supremes?  Maybe he did too much celebrating last night.

I think it was the last name "Romano" - I also immediately thought of Everybody Loves Raymond, but then the kids' names in the clue didn't work

To me, what made it funny was that the other contestant answered Everybody loves Raymond, and after he was told he was wrong, Mike confidently came in with Everybody loves Ray.

• Love 6

FJ was way too easy.

Yeah, but it had me singing the preamble to the Constitution, so I enjoyed it.  (Yes, I'm old enough to remember Schoolhouse Rock.)

I thanked Laura Ingalls Wilder out loud for "Chinook" - I only know the name of that wind because it's specifically mentioned in The Long Winter.

Wow, Michael went down in flames. Must have been tired or something to do that badly. I'm trying not to grin. Yes, I'm evil, but Smokey Robinson and the Supremes?

Well he did allegedly have an affair with Diana Ross.  Not that I would expect Michael to have known that.

• Love 3
(edited)

Another LIW fan here who knows the Chinook wind from The Long Winter!!

The Preamble was a gimme, by the date alone. (And I'm an early Gen-Xer, so you could hear the Schoolhouse Rock song being hummed by everyone in the room when we were taking our Constitution test in 8th grade and we had to write down the Preamble.)

Edited by Sharpie66
(edited)

I can't even watch the rest of the game this evening.  Ugh, "investment" instead of ingot when referring to gold  bars?  Easiest questions EVER, but lots of headscratching TS ones:  Nobody (in the RUssia category in DJ) knew Pasternak wrote Dr, Zhivago? 

Edited by mjc570
  • Love 1

I personally didn't think FJ was super incredibly easy, but that's just because that's not a strong fund of knowledge for me. But, I did get New Orleans.

*I* don't live in Los Angeles, but I knew the Clippers. Sorry Alex.

• Love 1
I can't even watch the rest of the game this evening.  Ugh, "investment" instead of ingot?  Easiest questions EVER, but lots of headscratching TS ones:  Nobody (in the RUssia category in DJ) knew Pasternak wrote Dr, Zhivago?

It did get better, and defending champ ended up with a decent payday, but yeah there were a lot of TS

That DD in the 'Borders These Two Countries' category in the Jeopardy round was pretty easy -- Jordan and Yemen.  Yemen only borders two countries, so it was basically a 50/50 guess.

• Love 2

I personally didn't think FJ was super incredibly easy, but that's just because that's not a strong fund of knowledge for me. But, I did get New Orleans.

*I* don't live in Los Angeles, but I knew the Clippers. Sorry Alex.

New Orleans was a wild guess for me, but hey, it was right.

The Clippers, on the other hand, were a no-go for me, because I don't give a rat's ass about pro basketball, and they're not nearly a big enough team for me to have ever heard their nickname.  The other clues involved much bigger teams, although I wasn't surprised that no one got the Phillies.  Saddened, but not surprised.

The Clippers, on the other hand, were a no-go for me, because I don't give a rat's ass about pro basketball, and they're not nearly a big enough team for me to have ever heard their nickname. 

They became very big nationally during the whole Donald Sterling thing.

Huh, a new 2-day champ and no comments? Is she really that bland and unremarkable? Knowing a lot of people like that in New England, I'd say yes. Glad she won some money, but she can lose any day now as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 1

I like her. She's calm, her voice doesn't make my ears bleed, she doesn't say "uhhhhh" before choosing a topic or say the whole topic every freaking time,

• Love 5

Ooops! Alex had to correct Czechoslovakia to Czech Republic. Living in the past?

I was in the process of googling Catholic confirmation when Alex  started his correction/apology. I had first communion at 7, confirmation at 13, but I'm in Canada so I was wondering if it was a national difference.

• Love 4

I like her. She's calm, her voice doesn't make my ears bleed, she doesn't say "uhhhhh" before choosing a topic or say the whole topic every freaking time,

Exactly! Kerry's a little bland but she doesn't bug the crap out of me with weird mannerisms and such. I'm glad she won again.

Tom, on the other hand, was personable and lively (I liked his tie) but his constant "uuuhhhhs" and hemming and hawing before selecting a clue drove me nuts.

Speaking of "uuuhhh", that was my guess for FJ. I was clueless.

• Love 2