Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Regency Bar

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

The youngest of my brood are 5 and 7. BOYS.  They are ruffians.  I asked their Mother, my daughter, if she would try for a girl.  She said only if she could guarantee a girl.  Another ruffian would put her over the edge.  She said she hits the bed at 8:30 pm and just stares at the ceiling to decompress.  The 5 yr old ruffian told me to “go home”the other day,as I was talking to my daughter too much, and it took time away from him. Haha. I luv them to death.  Out of six, I have two girls.  Big difference.  You could suggest, but they don’t listen.  Maybe if there’s a guarantee it’s a girl, but how would one do that?        P.s.  thingamagig and whatchamacallit are my words also.  Maybe we are from the same neighborhood. Lol.

Ahhh .... boys 5 and 7 .... the age where we know that’s the reason we have kids when we are young.  :D  When wrestling, jumping off a couch and trying to kick each other is fun.  Lol ... and then we leave that stage to move on to being secretive devilish little stinkers.

As far as getting a girl, I’ve tried the ‘You are going to have a girl. Trust me, I KNOW!  

Lol it doesn’t work.  :D  

• Love 5
On 10/23/2018 at 8:23 PM, bichonblitz said:

HATE my front loader. My son bought it for us for Christmas so I had no choice. He is a sweetheart and loves his LG so thought we would love ours ( for whatever reason he bought Samsung for us, yuk) Yes, you do have to leave the door open after use, your clothes will smell of mildew and they just don't feel clean. The rubber casing around the drum of the washer never dries out, you have to wipe it after each use. What a pain in the butt, who has time for that?? I did not get the pedestal, either, so bending down and reaching in to the back of the washer sucks. I have tried all of the recommendations for cleaning the washer, none of them work. My only solution is to use scented fabric softener in the wash cycle and scented dryer sheets. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. You have to take the clothes out of the washer immediately after it's done and put them in the dryer and turn dryer on. You can't leave them in the washer for even a few minutes or they will start to stink! Son also bought a front loader dryer to go with the washer and I do love that, never any wrinkles in my clothes and dries quickly. Too bad the clothes smell like shit! 

I started watching “The Fall,” starring Gillian Anderson. It’s flawed, yet pretty addicting, in my opinion. There’s a scene in which the serial killer is laundering the victim’s clothing and bedding. The front loader he had to use totally pulled me out of the moment, because all I could think about was all of your comments, and how the forensics team would still have a lot to work with. 

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 6

giggling .... The only good news today is that, when ‘the girls’ get released tonight, instead of hanging down below my knees they should at least be bouncing off my knees.   Just saying. 

Oh, do I ever hate snow. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Ellee said:

The week started off horribly.   I spent yesterday trying to make up for lost time.  Today is going to be hell too.  Acckkkk  

What did I miss?  

Page 5, reunion 1.  Lots of stuff.

• Love 1

Awkward subject change, but here goes. I'm sure you've all heard that at least one radio station in the US has decided to remove "Baby, It's Cold Outside" from their Holiday playlist. Canada, just took it a step further and has banned the song from a bunch of stations as well as our national radio, CBC.

Anyone care to weigh in, pro or con?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jel said:

Awkward subject change, but here goes. I'm sure you've all heard that at least one radio station in the US has decided to remove "Baby, It's Cold Outside" from their Holiday playlist. Canada, just took it a step further and has banned the song from a bunch of stations as well as our national radio, CBC.

Anyone care to weigh in, pro or con?

I was over at my neighbors and he was singing that song. I told him about the controversy. He said pretty soon there will be no tv or radio that isn’t a personal device as someone is always ready to find something offensive. He did stop on the song. Then I began to tell him that Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer was now about bullying and no longer PC in some circles. He said they are sucking the joy out of his holidays. 

• Love 9

Ok, ok, ok ... I’m going to try. 

Pretty soon Santa as we know him will be a major source of controversy.   Jolly old St Nick’s image will change since he has been fat-shamed (SMDH) for far too long.  In addition ... his Ho-Ho-Ho will no longer be him being jolly but interpreted as him calling someone a ‘ho.

And as far as ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’. Seriously.  Come on.  

There’s something about day and time.  Intent.  

If people don’t want to listen to it, don’t.  But banning it?   I’ll be dead and gone so I won’t see it ... wait until ‘they’ start picking on the songs from the 60’s and 70’s. 

Hope this topic gets talked about.  I’d like to read about what you all think. 

Last comment for now ... to be mindful of others is important but what about common sense???  Is there any anywhere?  What am I missing?  What should I be thinking of and am not?

Have a great day, everybody. I’m off to sing Baby It’s Cold Outside in the shower while I’m getting ready for work.  (Please don’t tell me I’ll be banned from showering for this.)

• Love 9

I had to read the lyrics to the song after I read about this last week.  It is basically about a fellow coaxing his (presumed girl)friend to spend the night, while she sort of offers up reasons why she shouldn't.  There are references to her parents, so we know that she lives at home.  Now remember, this song was written in 1944, when it was the norm for women to live at home with parents, generally until they married.

All that said, I will weigh in with the idea that we can chalk up another one for the professionally offended.  I would put up these lyrics against many, many modern lyrics, rap and other genres, which portray women and the treatment of women far, far worse than does this song.

As for Rudolph, once again, the professionally offended are missing the teaching moment provided.  Rather than consider it as an example of bullying, I would think it to be more of a morality example about the positive outcome Rudolph had, despite being "bullied".

Idiots.

9 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was over at my neighbors and he was singing that song. I told him about the controversy. He said pretty soon there will be no tv or radio that isn’t a personal device as someone is always ready to find something offensive. He did stop on the song. Then I began to tell him that Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer was now about bullying and no longer PC in some circles. He said they are sucking the joy out of his holidays. 

You have a smart neighbor.

• Love 9

I've only read a it about this, but enough to know that song was written as a duet for the songwriter to sing with his wife at parties, so I do not for one minute think it's about date rape. I think if you look hard enough, you can find an element of creepiness, in that many young women have likely found themselves in a situation that either did go wrong or felt like it could have.  The come on, stay, just have another drink despite the fact that she has already said she has to go part.  (But she "has to go" because of familial and societal pressure, not because she wants to -- she wants to stay.  Interestingly, and thanks to many feminists debating and arguing, out in the open, minds have changed and societal pressure has fallen away, so that element of it may not be well understood by the young people who are objecting to the song) But as for the creepy component, in this song, you have to look really, really hard for it.  I do find it kind of pitiful that of all songs, this is the one people pick, when, as SuprSuprElevated points out, there are plenty more modern songs which are much worse, far more disrespectful, far more menacing, to women.  So bloody cowardly. 

But mostly, in the objection to it, there's this weird post-modernist "don't try to change my mind" element which I find most disturbing. He's trying to talk her into staying -- and that's the real problem -- he's trying to change her mind, which itself is viewed in some circles as an act of aggression.

I'm an old school liberal, and I'm not talking about politics, but rather a willingness to discuss and debate things, and so there's no opinion that I am not willing to hear, even if I find those opinions abhorrent. In fact, the thought of abhorrent ideas staying "underground" scares me much more than having them out in the open where they can be publicly debated and shown to be wrong.  The idea is that you bring a better, more reasoned argument and try to change minds, and you do this out in the open, and for the love of mike, at universities! (gah! and double gah!) Historically, this approach has served humanity well.  It can be a slow process for sure, but it is effective. What is not effective as a social progress tool is shutting down debate and refusing to allow dissent, or even refusing to allow stupid, ignorant opinions to be expressed.  

Maybe I'm being overly dramatic and paranoid and it's just banning one song, so it's not big deal, but I have to say it feels like the thin edge of the wedge, and that concerns me.  

• Love 7

Lol ... a week or so ago I taped ‘Frank Sinatra in Japan’.  It was a 1985 concert.  I enjoy listening to it. 

How nuts am I that I’m listening to it ‘differently’ this time?  Wondering how, when, if the “professionally offended” are going to attack.  Lol. 

Going now ... he’s singing Pennies from Heaven....

Thanks, SuprSuprElevated for ‘the professionally offended’   :D

• Love 5
14 hours ago, SweetieDarling said:

I've always viewed the lyrics as playful banter between a couple. Maybe it's the tune or Dean Martin's voice, but it never came across as malicious to me.

I remember  Regis and his wife sang it on a album or when  he WAS  the Live with ... Regis 

Edited by athousandclowns
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I remember  Regis and his wife sang it on a album or when  he WAS  the Live with ... Regis 

Yeah, the days when the show was fun, even when Regis was a grouch.  Little Kelly, the soap star who became famous overnight and took over the show.  Just not watching anymore for some reason.

• Love 3

“Freeform” channel putting on “Holiday in Handcuffs” with Mario Lopez and Melissa Joan Hart this Thursday in the afternoon.  No “The Christmas List” with Mimi Rogers again this year, but that Christmas w the Kranks on about 50 times.  (Hate it).  All the good old movies gone, replaced with those sappy same story crap.  Watching Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck now on AMC.  Turner Classic still the best channel, for me anyhow.  Why do they have to change everything we love?    Oh, and I think there’s an Elvis marathon this weekend.  Love, love, love HIM.  My husband shook hands with him in Germany while both were on the same base in the Army.  Swoon.  Yeah, I’m that old, lol.

Edited by Gem 10
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, Ellee said:

LOL .... going to go look to see if I can get the Elvis marathon.  Haven’t watched one of his movies in forever. 

Oh I hope I can get it!

I saw it advertised for sometime this weekend .. hope it’s tomorrow.  If not, then surely I’m going off my rocker.  Have to wait for tomorrow’s t.v. Guide.

2 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

I saw it advertised for sometime this weekend .. hope it’s tomorrow.  If not, then surely I’m going off my rockerSundance Channel.  Have to wait for tomorrow’s t.v. Guide.

@Gem 10 - Because you shouldn't have to wait for tomorrow's TV Guide ...

Sundance Channel starting tomorrow (Sun 12/9) at 7:00 a.m. West Coast time.  G.I. Blues.  Easy Come, Easy Go.  Fun in Acapulco.  Paradise, Hawaiian Style.  Blue Hawaii.  Girls! Girls! Girls!  King Creole.  Roustabout.  

TCM starting Wed 12/12 at 3:30 a.m. West Coast time.  Speedway.   Girl Happy.  The Trouble with Girls.  Elvis: That's The Way It Is.  Kissin' Cousins.  Jailhouse Rock.  It Happened at the World's Fair.  

PM me if you need specific times for any movies.  :-)

ETA - for @Ellee too

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

@Gem 10 - Because you shouldn't have to wait for tomorrow's TV Guide ...

Sundance Channel starting tomorrow (Sun 12/9) at 7:00 a.m. West Coast time.  G.I. Blues.  Easy Come, Easy Go.  Fun in Acapulco.  Paradise, Hawaiian Style.  Blue Hawaii.  Girls! Girls! Girls!  King Creole.  Roustabout.  

TCM starting Wed 12/12 at 3:30 a.m. West Coast time.  Speedway.   Girl Happy.  The Trouble with Girls.  Elvis: That's The Way It Is.  Kissin' Cousins.  Jailhouse Rock.  It Happened at the World's Fair.  

PM me if you need specific times for any movies.  :-)

Oh, thank God.  I thought maybe I screwed up.  I didn’t remember the channel at all and Ellee would have been disappointed also.  Good job Walnut.  I just louve him.  

That was quick, lol.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

Oh, thank God.  I thought maybe I screwed up.  I didn’t remember the channel at all and Ellee would have been disappointed also.  Good job Walnut.  I just louve him.  

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.  My onscreen guide lets me search by titles AND cast, so finding Elvis on two different channels took mere seconds.   I am at your service, should a teevee guide need arise again.  ;-)

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.  My onscreen guide lets me search by titles AND cast, so finding Elvis on two different channels took mere seconds.   I am at your service, should a teevee guide need arise again.  ;-)

Thank you very large.  😻 😺  some more critters for you.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

“Freeform” channel putting on “Holiday in Handcuffs” with Mario Lopez and Melissa Joan Hart this Thursday in the afternoon.  No “The Christmas List” with Mimi Rogers again this year, but that Christmas w the Kranks on about 50 times.  (Hate it).  All the good old movies gone, replaced with those sappy same story crap.  Watching Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck now on AMC.  Turner Classic still the best channel, for me anyhow.  Why do they have to change everything we love?    Oh, and I think there’s an Elvis marathon this weekend.  Love, love, love HIM.  My husband shook hands with him in Germany while both were on the same base in the Army.  Swoon.  Yeah, I’m that old, lol.

I'm old also and don't watch any of those lifetime sappy crap either. I did watch one a couple of years ago, must have been in the hospital with limited choices. Pretty good. Ed Asner is in it. Christmas on the Bayou. Pretty cute. 

MV5BMTc4ODAxMTIyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzEzNzc4MDE@._V1_SY317_CR10,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

• Love 1
On 12/6/2018 at 8:59 PM, Mindthinkr said:

I was over at my neighbors and he was singing that song. I told him about the controversy. 

I  understand why it's being dropped from the radio ("Say, what's in this drink?" is a lyric that has no place in a world full of Cosby-like predators, imo). 

That said -- can we just change the damn lyrics? ("We" as in whoever holds the copyright). The charm of the song doesn't depend on him being "opportunistic" (as he boasts) or on him getting her drunk -- take the booze out, tweak the lyrics and let her (or him) end the tune singing she really can stay. 

I think if the lyrics don't change, the song is probably going to disappear (when's the last time you heard Swanee River?) and I'd hate to lose the history of the tune (mostly because of his wife's contribution.  After they debuted the song at their housewarming - to let guests know the party was over - they became the talk of the town. They closed parties for years after,  in ever more elite circles, and it was a huge success not just because of the song, but because of her performance.  And then Hollywood came calling and he sold the song -- which she never forgave him for, supposedly -- she felt it was "their" song, not just his. With good reason, imo.) 

eta:

I've always viewed the lyrics as playful banter between a couple.

@SweetieDarling - yeah, I think the delivery is everything. 

It also makes a difference hearing versus seeing, I think -- here's the original number (to me it feels off, even for the era  -- there's a lack of frothiness and charm -- he's grabbing her arm, removing her coat, she looks genuinely unhappy at times -- the comedy version between Garrett and Skelton is better but that first number...I feel like he could get out a knife and stab her while screaming "I TOLD YOU IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!!")

I'm surprised Luann (or Sonja) haven't done a cabaret version...

~I really can't pee! (Baby it's cold outside)
I gotta go wee!(Baby it's cold outside)
This jitney has been (Been hoping that you'd dropped in)
So very nice! (I'll hold your hands they're just like ice) 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Reality police said:

I'm old also and don't watch any of those lifetime sappy crap either. I did watch one a couple of years ago, must have been in the hospital with limited choices. Pretty good. Ed Asner is in it. Christmas on the Bayou. Pretty cute. 

MV5BMTc4ODAxMTIyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzEzNzc4MDE@._V1_SY317_CR10,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Ha .. how about all those Nobody girls who marry a prince?  Same four actresses on Hallmark .. I can’t take it.  I love the “Christmas List” with Mimi Rogers and Barbara Eden.  Someone put it on u tube.  Freeform used to have all of them on, but stopped.  Everyone complaining.  Now I’m watching “the Parent Trap”.  Still young at heart, lol.  But the bones say no.  I’ll watch the Bayou, thanks.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, film noire said:

I understand why it's being dropped  ("Say, what's in this drink?" is a lyric that has no place in a world full of Cosby-like predators, imo). 

That said -- can we just change the damn lyrics? ("We" as in whoever holds the copyright). The song doesn't depend on him being "opportunistic" (as he boasts in the long version) or on him getting her drunk -- take the booze out, tweak the lyrics and let her (or him) end the tune singing she really can stay. 

Andif the lyrics don't change, the song is absolutely going to disappear (when's the last time you heard Swanee River?) and I'd hate to lose the history of the tune. (Mostly because of his wife's contribution.  After they debuted the song at their housewarming - to let guests know the party was over - they became the talk of the town. They closed parties for years after -- and in ever more elite circles -- and it was a huge success not just because of the song, but because of her performance.  And then Hollywood came calling and he sold the song -- which she never forgave him for, suposedly -- she felt it was "their" song, not just his. With good reason, imo).  

Same with the picture “Zulu”.  My husband waiting for it to come on TCM, but it won’t.  He loves the actors in it.  Thank goodness I got it on Amazon for Christmas, also “The Searchers”.  A shame they are taking history away.

• Love 4

My son and I just watched “Elf,” as we do every year.  That song is in it.  So would that movie be banned too?  

A song that is played 30-40 days / year on rotation is causing sexual harassment and rape?   Oh please.  Change the station.  Are the millennials even listening to local radio?  The only stations by us that play over the air Christmas music are the “mom” stations.  

There are so many more songs that are way more offensive.  

That being said,  we in this house will stick to rule #3.  The best way to spread Christmas cheer is to sing loud for all to hear!

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Ellee said:

Happy Elvis day!  

I don’t get the channels so I won’t get to see them but I’ll be smiling all day for those that do!!!

:D :D :D

Oh nuts .. you don’t get Sundance.  I was surprised it was on this channel which I hardly watch.  Oh well, next time.  You can watch the sappy Christmas movies on Hallmark and Lifetime, lol.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

Oh nuts .. you don’t get Sundance.  I was surprised it was on this channel which I hardly watch.  Oh well, next time.  You can watch the sappy Christmas movies on Hallmark and Lifetime, lol.

Lol ... I’m sappy enough without watching those movies!  

I guess I’ll have to spend time making brownies and eating them. :D

Duncan Hines chewy fudge ones with a hidden layer of hershey’s Chocolate.     Hopefully I’ll stop short of sugar shock.  :D :D :D

• Love 6
5 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Hints at date rape??? What the actual f*ck.  So now sexual relations between unmarried folk (probably married too) is date rape?  Because if we're going to gauge whether or not one party is more aggressively pursuing, will we need spread sheets and pulse oximeters?  The act of dating ought to be real interesting for the next 20 years.  Glad I won't be participating, lol.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Tonight .. 90 day Fiancé  (another train wreck, but addictive,   Orange County,  Dirty John and The Grinch, and Elvis.  I’m in heaven.

If I listed all my Sunday night shows, y'all would be calling the authorities for a 5150 hold (let's just say at it's apogee, my DVR was recording over 20 shows on a Sunday).   My highlights tonight are Amanda to the Rescue, The Last Alaskans, Escape at Dannemora, Ray Donovan, Counterpart, Dirty John, PBS stuff, the ho'wives, & true crime shows.  Most of which I'll watch in the wee hours after my evening nap, and tomorrow between catnaps & critters.   :-)

• Love 7
21 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Hints at date rape???

Yes, because of the "say what's in this drink" line which implies he drugged her or spiked her drink to make her too intoxicated to leave. Not to mention that the entire song is about her wanting and trying to leave while he stops her. So yeah, it hints at date rape. I don't think anyone is implying it causes date rape. Just that it's a super rapey vibe in the song and people in this century, after Cosby and Weinstein and on and on, are done putting up with thinking it's cute to pressure a woman into doing something she doesn't want to do. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Lisin said:

Yes, because of the "say what's in this drink" line which implies he drugged her or spiked her drink to make her too intoxicated to leave. Not to mention that the entire song is about her wanting and trying to leave while he stops her. So yeah, it hints at date rape. I don't think anyone is implying it causes date rape. Just that it's a super rapey vibe in the song and people in this century, after Cosby and Weinstein and on and on, are done putting up with thinking it's cute to pressure a woman into doing something she doesn't want to do. 

Well, we'll just disagree on that.  

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Lisin said:

I agree with you and I have a feeling a lot of people would also if they pictured a dude like Aviva's creep dad saying the same lyrics instead of the charming, clean cut man we usually see performing this song.

• Love 2

Baby, It's Cold Outside Of PTV

I really can say (but baby, it's cold outside!)
We can disagree away (but baby, it's cold outside!)

This discussion has been (been hoping that you'd drop in)
So very nice (i type and eat my giant slice...)

My motherboard will start to get blurry (indisputable - please don't worry)
My father is upvoting me galore (listen to the whole forum roar!)

So really I'd better scurry (thx for the PM - no need to hurry)
But maybe just a half a thought more? (meme-ing while we L on the floor)

Fellow posters might blink (baby, it's wild out there!)
Or say - wait, that made me think (no jabs to be had out there)

I wish I knew how (your avatar is like starlight now)
To goddamn spell!!  (I love your cat - and your posts look swell!)

I ought to say, your mileage may vary, sir (mind if I prove my point closer?)
At least I'm gonna say that I tried (and what's the use in hurtin' our pride?)

I really can say (oh baby don't pull the bold out)
But baby, it's Cold! Out! Side!

kitty and pup.jpg

Edited by film noire
  • Love 12

Did anyone watch The Voice last night?  Michael Buble was on in the very beginning. I ff’d only because of my time limits and will watch in its entirety tonight. Can’t even tell you what song.  

I’m interested to see what everyone thinks. 

Thanks, Supr, for letting us know ‘Baby ....’ is being played again. 

Got to get to work. It’s busy, busy time. Ugh

• Love 3