Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Regency Bar

• Start Topic

59 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

OH my gosh refresh my memory I don't recall that ! With or without gummy bears? 

Oh ... I just remembered. It was a MickeyMouth picture.  She came up with some really great pictures.  

It had to be the Scary Island season or the one where Jill, Kelly and LuLu were best friends.  

I used to check that site every day. And got more laughs.  I’ll try again to find the picture!  

ETA:  Lol ... KFB, I see you beat me to it.  :D

Edited by Ellee
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:
Good luck finding it because I googled MickeyMouth to see if I could find the picture and that handle posts funny mess like the above and I am getting so sidetracked that I will never find the Kelly/glue picture.

Oh, my, gosh, make  it stop! MickeyMouth has caused me to go down a rabbit hole retweeting stuff from https://twitter.com/BoringEnormous

DKkByxjXUAAeKl8.jpg

I have several cats and a number of outdoor “feral” (walnut queen & I would get along) and the first video of the cat coming out was too funny. The dog one was equally funny - thank you for both 

(my GA Bulldogs really, really lost today I. Football and I needed some cheer)??

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, WhoaWhoKnew said:

I sniffed Elmer's glue because it smells heavenly. My 2nd grade teacher saw me doing it and screamed at me that it was worse than doing drugs.

I thought I was a degenerate junkie for...at least until 8th grade. 

Ahhh ... you made me think of my second grade teacher ... she used to pull on a kid’s ear if she didn’t like how they were behaving. 

Needless to say ... I behaved.  Learned a lot too.  Got a feeling she’d be in a lot of trouble if she was teaching in this day and age. 

Those were the days when you’d say something to your parents and probably get a ‘Well, behave then’.  :D

• Love 3

I’m starting to feel bad for bringing glue kid up. For the record he’d eat it.  

I was just shocked that ‘they’ would put a 72 year old teacher on suspension for saying it.  I’ve come to see both sides.   It’s just her age that makes me lean more towards leaving her alone.  And yes I’m an old fart. 

Next link I post will be something light and fun and leans toward positives.   Lol ... if I disappear again it will only be because I didn’t find anything. :D

• Love 4
On 10/14/2018 at 8:47 PM, WhoaWhoKnew said:

I sniffed Elmer's glue because it smells heavenly. 

Never did glue. 

Markers were my drug of choice.  If I couldn't make a marker connection,  I'd sidle over  -- playing the eight year old innocent  -- to the crafts section of the classroom.  Somebody was always holding over there. Even the teachers were trading in hardcore street shit.  Playdoh. That gold spray paint on macaroni Christmas ornaments.  Xeroxed worksheets.  I've seen some bad juju go down in my life, but nothing comes close to watching a seven year old girl weep when her Xerox was taken back from her -- still warm from the machine, her sniffing the residue on her fingertips like a bomb dog  -- but even that wasn't enough to scare me straight.  Takes years to get marker-free. They don't call them motherfucking highlighters for nothing, people.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 14
On 10/13/2018 at 3:16 PM, KungFuBunny said:

Years ago, before Snapchat and Instagram - there was/is someone with the Twitter handle of MickeyMouth1 who did the most awesome RH art.

She did many photos, the one Ellee is talking about is Kelly Bensimone sitting on a beach with a bucket between her legs. The bucket is Elmer's Glue and she has a big grin on her face, holding the wooden popsicle dipper in one hand.

Here's a GIF from the Simpsons

tumblr_otw2sr2sKM1vbcnq8o1_500.gif

I remember her.  She was part of Lynn's blog I believe.  

• Love 1
On 8/30/2018 at 4:36 AM, walnutqueen said:

Who needs Mom's closet?  I happen to have hat boxes, real (fugly) hats and lovely hat pins.  And a shitpile of other old stuff I happen to think is very cool, both from my family and the estate sales & auctions I used to frequent, back in the day.  My "collections" are quite eclectic.   I call them collections, but most would just call them useless hoards.  ;-)

I'm 63 (is that considered old?), but my body feels like 83, and my mind feels like 13 some days.

Tell me about it.  You wake up one day and everything hurts.  Was flipping around and saw this.  When cleaning out my Dads house after he died, I was in such a tizzy and overwhelmed, that I just threw away so many things like hat boxes and other collectibles.  My kids didn’t want that stuff, and I had no room.  I still regret it.  Too lazy to bring to the antique stores.  Oh well.  You’re feeling the age too?  We frequently took the train into the city to the plays, museums and Seaport, which isn’t there anymore.  But now, climbing the stairs at Penn Station (escalator always broken) is too much for our backs. (Surgeries).  I was desperate to see Bette Midler in “Hello Dolly” this summer, but husband went for another surgery, so I didn’t go.  Damn.  Things just get harder and harder, but the mind is still young. Don’t mind me.  I read your post and started reminiscing at 5 am.  Wish there was a pill that you take in the morning and feel great again all day, but their isn’t.   Just have to deal with it, rev up the I pads and talk about housewives, haha.  Look at Ramona.  Over 60 and is all over like shit .. getting dressed up and in the gym and all over the place.  She must have good genes.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Ellee said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/woman-receives-invoice-from-bride-after-bachelorette-party/ar-BBOzbxq?li=BBnb7Kz

Tell me please what you think about this.   All I can do is make faces at the moment.  (Though I do have one heckuva RBF that I've been wearing all day. )

Petty. 

Also why was the Bride throwing her own bachelorette party? Doesn’t the Maid of Honor or a close friend make the arrangements and pay for it so it’s not on the bride’s dime? I hope there was disclosure to the attendees that they were going to get billed afterwards. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Ellee said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/woman-receives-invoice-from-bride-after-bachelorette-party/ar-BBOzbxq?li=BBnb7Kz

Tell me please what you think about this.   All I can do is make faces at the moment.  (Though I do have one heckuva RBF that I've been wearing all day. )

The guests must have had some inkling before this that the bride-to-be was “careful with money.”

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Ellee said:

I have no patience for Bridezillas; don't think they are cute, don't think it's understandable.  (I'd blame it on my advancing old age, but I have always felt that way.)

• Love 6

PTVers -- Front Load washers, yea or nay?

I recently replaced our almost 20 year old top load, agitator washer with a new, kinda base model front loader. I swear it's attempting to wash my clothes in about three cups of lukewarm water. I am skeptical (to say the least) of it's ability to really clean my clothes. 

I know Consumer Reports has done testing on their cleaning power and find front loaders to work well, maybe even better, but has anyone ever checked the bacterial load on these clean clothes? I don't see how there is enough water in there to flush out everything that should be flushed out and to dilute everything that needs to be diluted.

Any front loader converts or reverts out there who care to share their thoughts?

19 minutes ago, Jel said:

Any front loader converts or reverts out there who care to share their thoughts?

My SIL and a few friends changed to the front loaders and aren’t happy with the results. They get mildew or a smell in them easily. They say the only way to prevent this into leave the door ajar when not in use. I have been debating on when to upgrade from my 20 year old one. I’m going to go with a top loader even though it is harder for me (I’m short so getting everything out of it is a literal stretch). I’m also concerned with the amount of water they use to really get things rinsed clean. 

• Love 3

I hate my front load washer because:

• I stupidly opted out of the $250 pedestals to put under the w/d because I knew I wouldn't need them for storage.  What I didn't think about was the fact that it puts the reach-in to grab clothes, so low that it's difficult and a little back-breaking.
  • My particular model, an Electrolux, collects a lot of water in the detergent drawer, and has to be dumped between loads.  I'm pretty sure this isn't normal, but didn't complain in a timely manner, so I'm stuck with it.
  • The wiping of the door gasket/boot that seals the door opening, is a bit of a pain in the arse.  This definitely has to be done after every load, and I also leave the door open for a couple of hours when finished, to prevent the mildew.  There are several cleaners on the market, specifically for this issue.  I have never had the mildew smell or evidence of it because I take these precautions.
  • There are a couple of other quirks that I don't care for pertaining to the settings, but these could be specific to the model I bought so I won't go into them.

We got ours right around the time that the top-loaders were getting a lot of overhauls.  I would definitely look into a top-load model when these go south.  FWIW, I wouldn't be concerned about the low water usage.  That was one of the reasons that drew me to the front-load style, and enough research has been done to back up the theory that we don't need to waste so much water doing laundry.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jel said:

I recently replaced our almost 20 year old top load, agitator washer with a new, kinda base model front loader. I swear it's attempting to wash my clothes in about three cups of lukewarm water. I am skeptical (to say the least) of it's ability to really clean my clothes. 

I know Consumer Reports has done testing on their cleaning power and find front loaders to work well, maybe even better, but has anyone ever checked the bacterial load on these clean clothes? I don't see how there is enough water in there to flush out everything that should be flushed out and to dilute everything that needs to be diluted.

I got a Samsung front load back in 2010 and it is still working great (at least according to the renters in that house). I miss that washer. I use the Tide Pods and the maintenance guy (I had a free annual check for the first 5 years) commented that he had never seen a machine as clean as mine. I left the door open after I was done washing so it would dry out and never had an issue with it.  Our washing machine in the ME was dual washer/dryer (European-style) and it was decent.  More the fact that it was European-style was what I hated.  We just moved back to the US a couple of weeks ago and are in corporate housing with the old style top load and I’m hating it so much.  I can’t wait to get into a house and get front loaders again. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Jel said:

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

My SIL and a few friends changed to the front loaders and aren’t happy with the results. They get mildew or a smell in them easily. They say the only way to prevent this into leave the door ajar when not in use. I have been debating on when to upgrade from my 20 year old one. I’m going to go with a top loader even though it is harder for me (I’m short so getting everything out of it is a literal stretch). I’m also concerned with the amount of water they use to really get things rinsed clean. 

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I hate my front load washer because:

• I stupidly opted out of the $250 pedestals to put under the w/d because I knew I wouldn't need them for storage.  What I didn't think about was the fact that it puts the reach-in to grab clothes, so low that it's difficult and a little back-breaking.
  • My particular model, an Electrolux, collects a lot of water in the detergent drawer, and has to be dumped between loads.  I'm pretty sure this isn't normal, but didn't complain in a timely manner, so I'm stuck with it.
  • The wiping of the door gasket/boot that seals the door opening, is a bit of a pain in the arse.  This definitely has to be done after every load, and I also leave the door open for a couple of hours when finished, to prevent the mildew.  There are several cleaners on the market, specifically for this issue.  I have never had the mildew smell or evidence of it because I take these precautions.
  • There are a couple of other quirks that I don't care for pertaining to the settings, but these could be specific to the model I bought so I won't go into them.

We got ours right around the time that the top-loaders were getting a lot of overhauls.  I would definitely look into a top-load model when these go south.  FWIW, I wouldn't be concerned about the low water usage.  That was one of the reasons that drew me to the front-load style, and enough research has been done to back up the theory that we don't need to waste so much water doing laundry.

I hugged my top loader today.

Wait. It’s still today, right? *

*reference to a Happy Camper BF divorce thread post

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 7

I just read on a news pop up that Heather Dubrow is coming back?  Can’t stand her pompous ass only because she is mean to the common folk, even tho she was one before Terry.  Can it be true?

Nay to front loaders.  I had a choice when we moved and went with a Maytag high efficiency top loader.  

The only thing I don't like is having to untangle the clothes before putting them in the dryer.  What the heck goes on in there during the wash cycles?

• Love 4

I got rid of my washer ONLY because it smelled of mildew, and I tried Clorox, everything to get the smell out.  Nothing helped so I bought a new washer.  I HATE it.  Like someone said, it only fills up barely to the top of the clothes.  Not enough water .. I read that’s all they allow now, so some people add buckets of water before washing.  And all the detergents hardly make enough soap because of the regulated chemicals they put in.  Most of the time, I wash the clothes twice, especially the whites.  They always have to screw with something good and it’s out of our control.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

I got rid of my washer ONLY because it smelled of mildew, and I tried Clorox, everything to get the smell out.  Nothing helped so I bought a new washer.  I HATE it.  Like someone said, it only fills up barely to the top of the clothes.  Not enough water .. I read that’s all they allow now, so some people add buckets of water before washing.  And all the detergents hardly make enough soap because of the regulated chemicals they put in.  Most of the time, I wash the clothes twice, especially the whites.  They always have to screw with something good and it’s out of our control.

I wish my front loader filled enough so I could at least see some water in the machine. Even just a bit at the bottom! But I see no water sloshing around at all. The clothes are wet, but there's no soaking ability that I can see given such a small volume of water. I try to use "hippy" laundry stuff when I can, but I switched to Persil and tide recently and I noticed that they are so heavily fragranced. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that strong scent is there to mask inferior cleaning ability. 

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Jel said:

I wish my front loader filled enough so I could at least see some water in the machine. Even just a bit at the bottom! But I see no water sloshing around at all. The clothes are wet, but there's no soaking ability that I can see given such a small volume of water. I try to use "hippy" laundry stuff when I can, but I switched to Persil and tide recently and I noticed that they are so heavily fragranced. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that strong scent is there to mask inferior cleaning ability. 

Yep.  They are saving water, but are putting poisonous chemicals in the soap which don’t even make bubbles anymore.    I keep buying different detergents.  Now I’m using Arm & Hammer.  All this “free” they say.  Free of what?  Doing its job of cleaning clothes?  All bullshit.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Reality police said:

After hearing all these stories I will keep my 15+ year old top loader as long as I can keep its heart beating. 

You better keep it.  I am so sorry I dumped mine, also 15 yrs old, because of the smell.  The clothes didn’t smell, only the inside of the tub.  It washed clothes great, and a lot of water.  Now, the new machines are computer controlled and all you hear is “ clicking” when the cycles change.  Sounds flimsy, so I Took out a contract as I think something will go wrong.  As long as yours fills up, I would keep it, and if it broke, I would even fix it.  They don’t make them like that anymore.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Gem 10 said:

You better keep it.  I am so sorry I dumped mine, also 15 yrs old, because of the smell.  The clothes didn’t smell, only the inside of the tub.  It washed clothes great, and a lot of water.  Now, the new machines are computer controlled and all you hear is “ clicking” when the cycles change.  Sounds flimsy, so I Took out a contract as I think something will go wrong.  As long as yours fills up, I would keep it, and if it broke, I would even fix it.  They don’t make them like that anymore.

I am very fortunate that one of my best friend's husband can fix anything. He works on it with homemade olive bread as payment. ?

• Love 7
On 10/14/2018 at 8:45 PM, Ellee said:

Ahhh ... you made me think of my second grade teacher ... she used to pull on a kid’s ear if she didn’t like how they were behaving. 

Needless to say ... I behaved.  Learned a lot too.  Got a feeling she’d be in a lot of trouble if she was teaching in this day and age. 

Those were the days when you’d say something to your parents and probably get a ‘Well, behave then’.  :D

We all have one, Mrs Guell in the 3rd grade used to grab us by the small hairs on the back of your head, lift us up out of our seats and have us face the corner. 

I complained to my parents exactly once and was grounded for two weeks. One week for my antics in class and another for ratting out a teacher who was trying her best to educate us. 

Taught me to behave in class and not complain when I didn’t and was punished.

• Love 5
On 10/18/2018 at 3:51 PM, Ellee said:

Do the bridesmaids return the favor and send the bride a bill for all that they are spending?  

I kid, I kid.  :D

I did!!!!

i grew up in Miami and had a “friend” my parents made me hang out with even though I just didn’t want to but she was the daughter of Long time friends of the family.

Fast forward to senior year I’m college when I lived in New York. I received a call from said Girl telling me she was getting married and that she wanted me to be a bridesmaid. I politely declined and explained that I couldn’t possibly take the time off from school and work because and that unfortunately I just could not afford the trip home to Miami so close to Xmas, she was getting married December 2nd, my birthday no less. We hung up and I thought that was the end of it.

two hours later I get a call from my mother, yeah she called her. Another reason I didn’t like her she was a rat fink, but I digress. I had to call said “friend” back and say that of course I would attend but in my best joking voice I said, “but if you end up divorced I’m goimg to bill you for my expenses.” She laughed, I fake laughed.

fast forward again to a year later and another friend calls to tell me that this “friend” was getting a divorce. I put an invoice together, with interest no less and I sent it to her. By then I was out of school and no longer under my mother’s financial control so I had a nice laugh when she called me to give me a tongue lashing.

she never did pay me but she’ll think twice  about forcing someone to go through the expense of being a bridesmaid. Oh and I burned the bridesmaid’s dress upon arriving back home after the wedding.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, bagger said:

We all have one, Mrs Guell in the 3rd grade used to grab us by the small hairs on the back of your head, lift us up out of our seats and have us face the corner. 

I complained to my parents exactly once and was grounded for two weeks. One week for my antics in class and another for ratting out a teacher who was trying her best to educate us. 

Taught me to behave in class and not complain when I didn’t and was punished.

I had a teacher pull a loose tooth out of my mouth in 2nd grade.  I wonder if that would fly today?  To her credit,  I was messing with it and got it turned around backwards and it got stuck.  ?

• Love 6

Lol ... do any of you remember having to kneel down so that the length of your dress could be measured?   It could only be so much above your knee.  Can’t remember how much but years later do remember wearing mini-skirts.  giggling ....

• Love 4
On 10/16/2018 at 2:21 AM, film noire said:

Never did glue. 

Markers were my drug of choice.  If I couldn't make a marker connection,  I'd sidle over  -- playing the eight year old innocent  -- to the crafts section of the classroom.  Somebody was always holding over there. Even the teachers were trading in hardcore street shit.  Playdoh. That gold spray paint on macaroni Christmas ornaments.  Xeroxed worksheets.  I've seen some bad juju go down in my life, but nothing comes close to watching a seven year old girl weep when her Xerox was taken back from her -- still warm from the machine, her sniffing the residue on her fingertips like a bomb dog  -- but even that wasn't enough to scare me straight.  Takes years to get marker-free. They don't call them motherfucking highlighters for nothing, people.

On 10/16/2018 at 5:32 AM, Ellee said:

@film noire  You started my day off giggling!  Best way to start a day. Thank you.  

@film noire, may I ask what your occupation is? I love your writing style, and you’re so witty. Are you a writer?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ellee said:

Lol ... do any of you remember having to kneel down so that the length of your dress could be measured?   It could only be so much above your knee.  Can’t remember how much but years later do remember wearing mini-skirts.  giggling ....

Yes. If they thought that our skirts were too short, we had to kneel. They were only allowed to be 2” above the ground. We got send home if it wasn’t long enough. Pants were a no-no and never allowed. 

• Love 1

Anyone old enough to know what a “tube top” was? I wore one with a blouse over it in high school. Buttoned all but the top four buttons of the blouse, and the principal told me that I had to button up completely. And I have Radziwell breasts, if not smaller.

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Yes. If they thought that our skirts were too short, we had to kneel. They were only allowed to be 2” above the ground. We got send home if it wasn’t long enough. Pants were a no-no and never allowed. 

You got two inches????? Ours had to touch the ground when we kneeled. The penguins insisted. I grew over the summer one year and the nun took the hem down and sent a nasty note to my parent about the appropriateness of my uniform.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, bagger said:

You got two inches????? Ours had to touch the ground when we kneeled. The penguins insisted. I grew over the summer one year and the nun took the hem down and sent a nasty note to my parent about the appropriateness of my uniform.

This is why I curdle when I see kids going to school in short shorts (think Daisy Dukes) and halter tops to school. Not to mention skirts that show their butt cheeks if they bend over in the slightest. It’s controversial but I wouldn’t mind uniforms (it also takes away the differences between the haves and have nots) or stricter dress codes. Kids these days just do what they want. People are afraid to stand up to them. A few towns up from me a student knocked a teacher out with a punch. Yes, the teacher is pressing charges for the assault, but is on administrative leave. A little respect would go a long way and it begins at home. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Spaces between words.
  • Love 6

Yeah, someone decided about 15-20 years ago or more, that casual dress is the way it should be in all aspects of life; work, school, worship, etc.  While I don't think that a necktie or nylons necessarily changes your aptitude at work, it most certainly can affect attitude.  Same with school dress.  When everything is as casual outside of the home as it is inside, then this work/life balance we hear so much about becomes skewed in ways not often considered imo.  mmv 

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 7
22 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

This is why I curdle when I see kids going to school in short shorts (think Daisy Dukes) and halter tops to school. Not to mention skirts that show their butt cheeks if they bend over in the slightest. It’s controversial but I wouldn’t mind uniforms (it also takes away the differences between the haves and have nots) or stricter dress codes. Kids these days just do what they want. People are afraid to stand up to them. A few towns up from me a student knocked a teacher out with a punch. Yes, the teacher is pressing charges for the assault, but is on administrative leave. A little respect would go a long way and it begins at home. 

As much as I complained about how strict my school was as a parent myself I sought out a school with the most similar standards which was hard. 

• Love 7