Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Regency Bar

• Start Topic

On 10/19/2018 at 11:09 AM, Jel said:

Any front loader converts or reverts out there who care to share their thoughts?

HATE my front loader. My son bought it for us for Christmas so I had no choice. He is a sweetheart and loves his LG so thought we would love ours ( for whatever reason he bought Samsung for us, yuk) Yes, you do have to leave the door open after use, your clothes will smell of mildew and they just don't feel clean. The rubber casing around the drum of the washer never dries out, you have to wipe it after each use. What a pain in the butt, who has time for that?? I did not get the pedestal, either, so bending down and reaching in to the back of the washer sucks. I have tried all of the recommendations for cleaning the washer, none of them work. My only solution is to use scented fabric softener in the wash cycle and scented dryer sheets. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. You have to take the clothes out of the washer immediately after it's done and put them in the dryer and turn dryer on. You can't leave them in the washer for even a few minutes or they will start to stink! Son also bought a front loader dryer to go with the washer and I do love that, never any wrinkles in my clothes and dries quickly. Too bad the clothes smell like shit! 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

HATE my front loader. My son bought it for us for Christmas so I had no choice. He is a sweetheart and loves his LG so thought we would love ours ( for whatever reason he bought Samsung for us, yuk) Yes, you do have to leave the door open after use, your clothes will smell of mildew and they just don't feel clean. The rubber casing around the drum of the washer never dries out, you have to wipe it after each use. What a pain in the butt, who has time for that?? I did not get the pedestal, either, so bending down and reaching in to the back of the washer sucks. I have tried all of the recommendations for cleaning the washer, none of them work. My only solution is to use scented fabric softener in the wash cycle and scented dryer sheets. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. You have to take the clothes out of the washer immediately after it's done and put them in the dryer and turn dryer on. You can't leave them in the washer for even a few minutes or they will start to stink! Son also bought a front loader dryer to go with the washer and I do love that, never any wrinkles in my clothes and dries quickly. Too bad the clothes smell like shit! 

Yes, between the manually adding jugs of water to the wash cycle plus hunting around every nook and cranny for residual water, I'm spending far more time on laundry than I ever did. Moulds and mildews are an asthma trigger, and overall just not healthy to live with. Plus the whole family just reeks of laundry products now (that can't be good -- so chemically).  But mostly, Bichonblitz, I just love that you have a kind and thoughtful son who bought you a new washing machine.  You raised a very thoughtful boy, good work, mom!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Jel said:

But mostly, Bichonblitz, I just love that you have a kind and thoughtful son who bought you a new washing machine.  You raised a very thoughtful boy, good work, mom!

Yes, he is a dream of a son in every way, we are so blessed! We will never let him know that we hate our front loader, hubby and I gripe about to each other all the time and laugh about how we miss our old Maytags (he does the laundry, too)!! lol

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

3 hours ago, Jel said:

Yes, between the manually adding jugs of water to the wash cycle plus hunting around every nook and cranny for residual water, I'm spending far more time on laundry than I ever did. Moulds and mildews are an asthma trigger, and overall just not healthy to live with. Plus the whole family just reeks of laundry products now (that can't be good -- so chemically).  But mostly, Bichonblitz, I just love that you have a kind and thoughtful son who bought you a new washing machine.  You raised a very thoughtful boy, good work, mom!

This sounds only slightly superior to schlepping laundry down to a river and beating it against rocks.

They should discontinue these models!

• Love 5

Even though I'm not in love with my particular front-load washer, I can say that I have never had mildew or mildew smell in my washer or on my clothes.  I use a machine cleaning product after so many loads (don't know how many, the machine tells me when to run a cleaning cycle).  I do have to wipe down the boot after finishing the laundry, and it's a minor annoyance mostly.  My strongest advice would be to either have someone build platforms for you, or pop for the pedestals, to bring the height level up to ease in the load/unload action.

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, Ellee said:

Mrs Peel for the win!!!

Sadly, I don't live in South Carolina.  Why can't someone in a big city ever win the big lotteries? 

Now off to buy a couple of Powerball tickets.

• Love 1
On 10/18/2018 at 4:23 PM, Ellee said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/woman-receives-invoice-from-bride-after-bachelorette-party/ar-BBOzbxq?li=BBnb7Kz

Tell me please what you think about this.   All I can do is make faces at the moment.  (Though I do have one heckuva RBF that I've been wearing all day. )

Tacky.  In my day, even when my two daughters got married, there was no Bachelorette Party, but a Bridal shower that my mother made for me, and I made for my two daughters.  I. Think this girl had some nerve to send them a bill.  They have to pay for their outfits,plus give a wedding gift.  Plus, the bride itemized each thing they ate and drank.  Bad.

Edited by Gem 10
  • Love 4

NEW CRUMMY WASHING MACHINES :      

So today I did a load of laundry, but I tried something different.  Along with the load of clothes, I threw in a wet towel.  The water level depends on the weight of the clothes.  The extra weight allowed the computer in the machine to put more water in.  So, I had more water in the machine, plus a clean towel.  BTW, you can’t put a lot of clothes in these new washers like before, or you will see residue soap on the dark washes.  

Besides the government interfering with our water level, plastic grocery bags, now my new Chevy Equinox car .. whenever I stop for a light, the engine turns off completely and restarts when I take my foot off the brake and step on the gas.  I guess this is for pollution, save gas, or whatever.  Some new cars have a button to give me the option, but not this new car.  Maybe the starter will break faster.  Wtf ?  All new rules, and we can’t do anything to stop it.

I feel like I’m writing in my diary.  Lol.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Gem 10 said:

NEW CRUMMY WASHING MACHINES :      

So today I did a load of laundry, but I tried something different.  Along with the load of clothes, I threw in a wet towel.  The water level depends on the weight of the clothes.  The extra weight allowed the computer in the machine to put more water in.  So, I had more water in the machine, plus a clean towel.  BTW, you can’t put a lot of clothes in these new washers like before, or you will see residue soap on the dark washes.  

Besides the government interfering with our water level, plastic grocery bags, now my new Chevy Equinox car .. whenever I stop for a light, the engine turns off completely and restarts when I take my foot off the brake and step on the gas.  I guess this is for pollution, save gas, or whatever.  Some new cars have a button to give me the option, but not this new car.  Maybe the starter will break faster.  Wtf ?  All new rules, and we can’t do anything to stop it.

I feel like I’m writing in my diary.  Lol.

That would drive me insane. I have issues with a car being stalled in traffic and me looking like an idiot. I would have to have a mechanic disconnect that sucker. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Reality police said:

That would drive me insane. I have issues with a car being stalled in traffic and me looking like an idiot. I would have to have a mechanic disconnect that sucker. 

Can’t.  That’s how they make the new American cars now I guess.  Some have an option button .. some don’t.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:43 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Even though I'm not in love with my particular front-load washer, I can say that I have never had mildew or mildew smell in my washer or on my clothes.  I use a machine cleaning product after so many loads (don't know how many, the machine tells me when to run a cleaning cycle).  I do have to wipe down the boot after finishing the laundry, and it's a minor annoyance mostly.  My strongest advice would be to either have someone build platforms for you, or pop for the pedestals, to bring the height level up to ease in the load/unload action.

I've never had mildew either, but each and every time I need to run the extra spin cycle after the wash, because the clothes are always dripping.  If I'm doing the bath rugs, I need to run it multiple times.  God help me, I checked the rubber lip - disgusting! 

And don't get me started on the front loading dryers.  Darn it, if I want to run the thing for 40, run for 40 minutes!  I don't care if the dryer thinks the clothes are dry - the dryer is WRONG.

• Love 6

I've had mildew problems with my front-loader, but mostly when I've forgotten a batch of wet clothes in there for two or three days.  (Hey, it happens!  I have a job!)  I tried everything to get the smell out of the clothes--and it was a strong smell, and nasty!  It reminded me of the time that unbeknownst to me my cat sprayed on my umbrella and the odor didn't bloom until I used it in the rain and then got on the subway.  People were moving down to the other end of the car.  Anyway, I tried running the clothes through several more cycles, I tried vinegar, I tried baking soda, I tried a product made for hunters intended to get the human scent out of their garments so animals won't smell them--everything I could find.  I was prepared to burn those clothes.  And then I tried Oxiclean.  A couple scoopfuls in with a load, and that's all it took.  But now I always leave the machine door open whenever it's not actually running, because it just gets funky in there otherwise.  I don't think my next washer will be another front-loader.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Mrs peel said:

Darn it, if I want to run the thing for 40, run for 40 minutes!  I don't care if the dryer thinks the clothes are dry - the dryer is WRONG.

I have this problem also, and it's very annoying.  Government meddling with fucking appliances.  As if they didn't have enough to meddle in.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I've had mildew problems with my front-loader, but mostly when I've forgotten a batch of wet clothes in there for two or three days.  (Hey, it happens!  I have a job!)  I tried everything to get the smell out of the clothes--and it was a strong smell, and nasty!  It reminded me of the time that unbeknownst to me my cat sprayed on my umbrella and the odor didn't bloom until I used it in the rain and then got on the subway.  People were moving down to the other end of the car.  Anyway, I tried running the clothes through several more cycles, I tried vinegar, I tried baking soda, I tried a product made for hunters intended to get the human scent out of their garments so animals won't smell them--everything I could find.  I was prepared to burn those clothes.  And then I tried Oxiclean.  A couple scoopfuls in with a load, and that's all it took.  But now I always leave the machine door open whenever it's not actually running, because it just gets funky in there otherwise.  I don't think my next washer will be another front-loader.

Just asking, but, why buy a front loader in the first place?  Are they supposed to be better than top loaders?  What’s the difference?

• Love 2
Just now, Gem 10 said:

Just asking, but, why buy a front loader in the first place?  Are they supposed to be better than top loaders?  What’s the difference?

Because they use much less water (about 30-40% less), less detergent, less energy, so even though they cost more up front, they pay for themselves in savings over the long haul.  And they get clothes cleaner with less wear and tear on them, so your clothes last longer.  They're kind of inconvenient in some respects, but I feel an obligation not to be a resource hog, because we all share the earth, and the water, and the energy, and we already use much more than our share in the US.

I shouldn't have said I won't get another one.  Just being a spoiled brat for a minute.  But I will for sure do more research next time and try to find one that has a work-around for the smell issue (even though I've mostly solved it at this point).  And my next one will go on a pedestal.  Right beside the pedestal that I stand on.  ;o)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

Because they use much less water (about 30-40% less), less detergent, less energy, so even though they cost more up front, they pay for themselves in savings over the long haul.  And they get clothes cleaner with less wear and tear on them, so your clothes last longer.  They're kind of inconvenient in some respects, but I feel an obligation not to be a resource hog, because we all share the earth, and the water, and the energy, and we already use much more than our share in the US.

I shouldn't have said I won't get another one.  Just being a spoiled brat for a minute.  But I will for sure do more research next time and try to find one that has a work-around for the smell issue (even though I've mostly solved it at this point).  And my next one will go on a pedestal.  Right beside the pedestal that I stand on.  ;o)

O.k., thanks.  I guess that’s true as the laundromats use front loaders, and you can see them spinning around with little water and soap.  My new top loader uses little water, less soap, but too little water than I want, and you can’t put as many clothes in as I used to.  I don’t like the computer clicking either.  I don’t feel that it cleans the clothes as my old washer did.  I’ve been taking contracts on all my new appliances which I never did before as I don’t think they make things as well as they used to.   I do not have a smell of any kind tho, which would really irritate me if it was a fairly new machine.  I wouldn’t want to put up a pedestal also.  They just make crap nowadays.

Edited by Gem 10
  • Love 1

Actually, you can buy a top loader that is just as efficient as a front loader.  That's what I did when I had to buy a new washer.  It's just easier, IMO, to load a top loader.  And, I have to say my new top loader handles a lot more clothes than old one cause it doesn't have that spin thing in the middle.  But, it does really twist your clothes up.  I have to untangle everything as I put stuff in the dryer.  Honestly, I would take my old Maytags back in a heartbeat buy my new house doesn't have gas which my old dryer took and it seemed like the right decision to replace them both.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

WOW, thank you.  You did us all a big favor by posting this.  I have six grandchildren and they all go trick or treating after school.  I just sent this to my kids to read.    ?. ☠️. ?

Oh, Gem10, the fun we used to have  trick or treating!  Now I think I’d go all out to have a private party for the kids to have fun.  

Make it nice.   :D 

Here’s to your grandkids having a great and safe Halloween (and everyone else’s too.)

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, Ellee said:

Oh, Gem10, the fun we used to have  trick or treating!  Now I think I’d go all out to have a private party for the kids to have fun.  

Make it nice.   :D 

Here’s to your grandkids having a great and safe Halloween (and everyone else’s too.)

❤️?????           ? HAPPY HALLOWEEN

• Love 1

I’m from a small town. 

One of the last Halloween’s my father experienced was pretty special.  He was relegated to a wheel chair, was unable to speak and despite what doctor’s thought his mind was still there (a daughter knows).  Our block was dark so not many kids came down it.  Lol I stood out in front of the house and as kids with parents in tow came by I asked if they would come in the house for him. Talked to the parents first as it’s not exactly what you want your kids to do ... go into a strangers house ... many did.  My dad smiled so bright.  And the kids were wonderful, showing off their costumes and their bags of treats.  Mom/dad standing in the doorway smiling wide too. 

In case any of you were one of those parents I can’t thank you enough. 

Lol I’m tearing up now.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

As sad and disappointing as it would be, if I had young children now, there is no way they would do neighborhood trick-or-treating.  Family/friends only or private party.  Chalk it up as another part of our past that is gone.

Mom of 3 little ones here. It should make you feel better to know that there are plenty of great neighborhoods all across America that are more than safe for our kids to Trick or Treat in. My neighbors go all out to make it such a fun night for the kids and we're looking forward to it. Everything really is not all doom and gloom everywhere. My friends all post sweet pics of their little kids trick or treating every year in their neighborhoods.

I have one of the new cars that does that temporary stall to save gas and for the environment. You can turn it off right on the dash. At first it really annoyed me and I thought I'd turn it off, but I've gotten used to it. I figure we have so much and take so much, I can deal with a little annoyance if it in any way might improve the future for my kids. I'll do what I can.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Ellee said:

I’m from a small town. 

One of the last Halloween’s my father experienced was pretty special.  He was relegated to a wheel chair, was unable to speak and despite what doctor’s thought his mind was still there (a daughter knows).  Our block was dark so not many kids came down it.  Lol I stood out in front of the house and as kids with parents in tow came by I asked if they would come in the house for him. Talked to the parents first as it’s not exactly what you want your kids to do ... go into a strangers house ... many did.  My dad smiled so bright.  And the kids were wonderful, showing off their costumes and their bags of treats.  Mom/dad standing in the doorway smiling wide too. 

In case any of you were one of those parents I can’t thank you enough. 

Lol I’m tearing up now.

So am I.  Those smart parents taught their children a valuable lesson, to respect any age.  When my son was. UPS driver, he delivered to nursing homes and tried to talk to those in wheelchairs about sports,and they loved that somebody was paying attention to them.  A few minutes of his time did wonders for them.  He has a good heart, even now, and you are blessed.  Let’s get the hankies out, lol.

• Love 9

FYI .. “Flipping Out” on again tonight 10 pm, eastern time.  Maybe a wrap up?     Oops... made a mistake.  Husband gave me Tuesdays newspaper.  Duh.

Edited by Gem 10
  • Love 1
On 10/22/2018 at 8:05 PM, bagger said:

I did!!!!

i grew up in Miami and had a “friend” my parents made me hang out with even though I just didn’t want to but she was the daughter of Long time friends of the family.

Fast forward to senior year I’m college when I lived in New York. I received a call from said Girl telling me she was getting married and that she wanted me to be a bridesmaid. I politely declined and explained that I couldn’t possibly take the time off from school and work because and that unfortunately I just could not afford the trip home to Miami so close to Xmas, she was getting married December 2nd, my birthday no less. We hung up and I thought that was the end of it.

two hours later I get a call from my mother, yeah she called her. Another reason I didn’t like her she was a rat fink, but I digress. I had to call said “friend” back and say that of course I would attend but in my best joking voice I said, “but if you end up divorced I’m goimg to bill you for my expenses.” She laughed, I fake laughed.

fast forward again to a year later and another friend calls to tell me that this “friend” was getting a divorce. I put an invoice together, with interest no less and I sent it to her. By then I was out of school and no longer under my mother’s financial control so I had a nice laugh when she called me to give me a tongue lashing.

she never did pay me but she’ll think twice  about forcing someone to go through the expense of being a bridesmaid. Oh and I burned the bridesmaid’s dress upon arriving back home after the wedding.

I think in those days, we listened to our Mothers.  I know I did.  Now, i can’t say anything to my two daughters as they would get all out of shape, so I keep my mouth shut, and it’s very hard.

• Love 5

It’s on my bucket list to get to the Macy’s parade in my lifetime.  I am not a big thanksgiving person but I love Christmas and Miracle on 34th Street is my all time favorite Christmas movie.  

Where’s the Skinny Girl balloon?  🤣.  I rue the day I even typed that. 

Eat up good people.  Life is ✌🏼🙏🏻❤️!

• Love 8
On 11/22/2018 at 2:48 AM, geauxaway said:

It’s on my bucket list to get to the Macy’s parade in my lifetime.  I am not a big thanksgiving person but I love Christmas and Miracle on 34th Street is my all time favorite Christmas movie.  

Where’s the Skinny Girl balloon?  🤣.  I rue the day I even typed that. 

Eat up good people.  Life is ✌🏼🙏🏻❤️!

Maybe you’ll see Ramona and Sonja there in the V.I.P. Section ... and wear “DEPENDS”.  Haha.

• Love 2
On 10/31/2018 at 8:46 AM, Gem 10 said:

❤️?????           ? HAPPY HALLOWEEN

What the hell?  Was I drunk?  Never proof read this post after typing it.  I just now saw the question marks that didn’t make sense.  I hit the wrong keys, obviously.  Sorry Ellee, it was to be all hearts.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

What the hell?  Was I drunk?  Never proof read this post after typing it.  I just now saw the question marks that didn’t make sense.  I hit the wrong keys, obviously.  Sorry Ellee, it was to be all hearts.

Lol .. I knew ... that kind of stuff happens to me all the time.  

Now ... if you were replying to a post where I said ‘I’m the greatest’ I might wonder but I’d never say that!!

Did you have a great Thanksgiving?  

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Ellee said:

Lol .. I knew ... that kind of stuff happens to me all the time.  

Now ... if you were replying to a post where I said ‘I’m the greatest’ I might wonder but I’d never say that!!

Did you have a great Thanksgiving?  

Yes, I did .. and you?  I’m sooo sorry for that.  You know I love you. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Did you know that you can edit a post?  Under your post there's  a little icon thingey that looks like a pencil.    Click on it and it will reopen your post and you can make corrections. 

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 2

LOL, AnnA, I love your use of the technical term ‘thingie’.  One of my favorite words these days along with thingamajig and whatchamacallit.   :D :D :D

And, Gem, it was a quiet Thanksgiving for us.  I hate to admit it but each year I add I’d rather hibernate.  I love being with the young kids but have more fun when I can tease and play with them without a holiday crowd around. Lol, if that makes any sense.   

I’ve got two boys that are 4 and 2 and a great nephew that is 1 1/2.  The energy ... the love ... the giggles ... there is nothing better!  Well ... maybe getting a baby girl added to the mix would make me smile even bigger.  The parents don’t seem to want to take my hints.  Or do you think ‘I think it’s time for a girl now’ is a little too direct?  :D

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

I had a post with an emoji and at some point after I posted it, the site changed it to a question mark so I had to go back in and change it.

So you may not have to blame it on the alcohol, after all. 🙂🥂

• Love 5
3 hours ago, AnnA said:

Did you know that you can edit a post?  Under your post there's  a little icon thingey that looks like a pencil.    Click on it and it will reopen your post and you can make corrections. 

Hi Anna.  I know how to edit, but I wrote that post before Halloween and didn’t read it before I pressed “send”.  I only happened to read it today, and felt so bad as it looked terrible.  To edit it today would have been too late as the damage was already done.  Thanks anyhow.

This damn thread is so addictive.  I should be doing a million things in the house and here I am on this I-pad every time I sit down.  What’s next.  Beverly Hills?  And then there’s the other shows.  Oh my.  I think I will put my Christmas tree up today.  These “sappy” Hallmark and Lifetime Christmas are too much.  Don’t like them.  I like all the old ones better.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, link417 said:

I had a post with an emoji and at some point after I posted it, the site changed it to a question mark so I had to go back in and change it.

So you may not have to blame it on the alcohol, after all. 🙂🥂

I think you are right.  The site did it.  No way would I put in question marks, and I don’t drink.  I should have proof read it tho before sending.  I just felt very bad for Ellee.  Thanks for telling your story.  I feel better now.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Ellee said:

LOL, AnnA, I love your use of the technical term ‘thingie’.  One of my favorite words these days along with thingamajig and whatchamacallit.   :D :D :D

And, Gem, it was a quiet Thanksgiving for us.  I hate to admit it but each year I add I’d rather hibernate.  I love being with the young kids but have more fun when I can tease and play with them without a holiday crowd around. Lol, if that makes any sense.   

I’ve got two boys that are 4 and 2 and a great nephew that is 1 1/2.  The energy ... the love ... the giggles ... there is nothing better!  Well ... maybe getting a baby girl added to the mix would make me smile even bigger.  The parents don’t seem to want to take my hints.  Or do you think ‘I think it’s time for a girl now’ is a little too direct?  :D

The youngest of my brood are 5 and 7. BOYS.  They are ruffians.  I asked their Mother, my daughter, if she would try for a girl.  She said only if she could guarantee a girl.  Another ruffian would put her over the edge.  She said she hits the bed at 8:30 pm and just stares at the ceiling to decompress.  The 5 yr old ruffian told me to “go home”the other day,as I was talking to my daughter too much, and it took time away from him. Haha. I luv them to death.  Out of six, I have two girls.  Big difference.  You could suggest, but they don’t listen.  Maybe if there’s a guarantee it’s a girl, but how would one do that?        P.s.  thingamagig and whatchamacallit are my words also.  Maybe we are from the same neighborhood. Lol.

Edited by Gem 10
  • Love 3