Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Regency Bar

• Start Topic

On 12/7/2018 at 5:58 AM, Ellee said:

Ok, ok, ok ... I’m going to try. 

Pretty soon Santa as we know him will be a major source of controversy.   Jolly old St Nick’s image will change since he has been fat-shamed (SMDH) for far too long.  In addition ... his Ho-Ho-Ho will no longer be him being jolly but interpreted as him calling someone a ‘ho.

And as far as ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’. Seriously.  Come on.  

There’s something about day and time.  Intent.  

If people don’t want to listen to it, don’t.  But banning it?   I’ll be dead and gone so I won’t see it ... wait until ‘they’ start picking on the songs from the 60’s and 70’s. 

Hope this topic gets talked about.  I’d like to read about what you all think. 

Last comment for now ... to be mindful of others is important but what about common sense???  Is there any anywhere?  What am I missing?  What should I be thinking of and am not?

Have a great day, everybody. I’m off to sing Baby It’s Cold Outside in the shower while I’m getting ready for work.  (Please don’t tell me I’ll be banned from showering for this.)

I’ve heard this song a million times, and the only thought I got out of it was a woman and man bantering about should she go or should she stay.  I don’t think she wanted to go and thats it.   Too much gutter thinking.  P.s.  Actually, it sounds very cozy to me in a good way.

Edited by Gem 10
  • Love 10
On 12/9/2018 at 6:51 PM, walnutqueen said:

If I listed all my Sunday night shows, y'all would be calling the authorities for a 5150 hold (let's just say at it's apogee, my DVR was recording over 20 shows on a Sunday).   My highlights tonight are Amanda to the Rescue, The Last Alaskans, Escape at Dannemora, Ray Donovan, Counterpart, Dirty John, PBS stuff, the ho'wives, & true crime shows.  Most of which I'll watch in the wee hours after my evening nap, and tomorrow between catnaps & critters.   :-)

I’m the same, just not enough hours in the day to watch all the good stuff (and the not-so-good stuff that I love anyway). But I won’t complain about living through peak TV!

The past few weekends I’ve been bingeing Ray Donovan. Season 3 has been my favorite so far and about to start Season 4 this weekend. 

• Love 3
On 12/14/2018 at 1:10 PM, link417 said:

I’m the same, just not enough hours in the day to watch all the good stuff (and the not-so-good stuff that I love anyway). But I won’t complain about living through peak TV!

The past few weekends I’ve been bingeing Ray Donovan. Season 3 has been my favorite so far and about to start Season 4 this weekend. 

OMG .. just realized Ray Donovan was on Showtime demand.  I was too busy with the housewives.  Anyhow,  we watched Ray all last night .. complete season 1.  Wow .. so much going on and so many characters.  We are loving it and will watch today, instead of all those sappy Christmas movies they are bombarding us with this year.  Rays Father is something else.  Jon Voight is amazing at 80 yrs old.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Gem 10 said:

OMG .. just realized Ray Donovan was on Showtime demand.  I was too busy with the housewives.  Anyhow,  we watched Ray all last night .. complete season 1.  Wow .. so much going on and so many characters.  We are loving it and will watch today, instead of all those sappy Christmas movies they are bombarding us with this year.  Rays Father is something else.  Jon Voight is amazing at 80 yrs old.

Binge watching a good series is SO satisfying.  I rarely find ones I haven't already been watching on a weekly basis, but when I do, it's a real treat.  I have so many fond memories of marathoning series when my Mum came here on her extended visits.  She always gave me "the look" when I said "OK, Mum, this is about Mafia guys (The Sopranos), this one's about Polygamists (Big Love), this one's about funeral directors (Six Feet Under), etc. etc.  She always ended up loving them, and we'd watch until we passed out, and pick up again until we were done.  Of course, it all started with our OG, and absolute favorite (and Xmas "tradition") Northern Exposure (no longer have the VCR, but still have all the taped episodes!).  ;-)

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Binge watching a good series is SO satisfying.  I rarely find ones I haven't already been watching on a weekly basis, but when I do, it's a real treat.  I have so many fond memories of marathoning series when my Mum came here on her extended visits.  She always gave me "the look" when I said "OK, Mum, this is about Mafia guys (The Sopranos), this one's about Polygamists (Big Love), this one's about funeral directors (Six Feet Under), etc. etc.  She always ended up loving them, and we'd watch until we passed out, and pick up again until we were done.  Of course, it all started with our OG, and absolute favorite (and Xmas "tradition") Northern Exposure (no longer have the VCR, but still have all the taped episodes!).  ;-)

And what about Downton Abby, which was my absolute favorite.  I love anything with scenery, especially England, Scotland, Italy, etc.  I just bought a new DVD player for my discs, but I have so many tapes for the VCR still.  All these new electronics make me crazy, and then you need someone to hook them up.  I’m still waiting for my firestick hookup and I have a VCR somewhere to still watch the tapes.  Oh well.  Need a handyman.  Everyone busy.  Lol.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

May I suggest Call the Midwife?  It's my favorite UK show and the Christmas episode is just around the corner!

I will.  So I watched Ray Donovan again last night for the second time.  Killing and screwing .. repeat.  Lots of violence.  I didn’t  go to bed in a good state of mind.  It may be too much for me.  I really don’t know if I can make it thru all the seasons.  I’m going to give it another try and see if I can continue.  

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Hints at date rape??? What the actual f*ck.  So now sexual relations between unmarried folk (probably married too) is date rape?  Because if we're going to gauge whether or not one party is more aggressively pursuing, will we need spread sheets and pulse oximeters?  The act of dating ought to be real interesting for the next 20 years.  Glad I won't be participating, lol.

I remember listening to the song a couple of years ago and suddenly wondering about the "what's in this drink?" line.  And the lines about how she's hurting HIM by not staying.  But while there was such a thing as a "mickey" back in the 40's, I don't recall hearing it was used by guys to seduce girls.  And if we reject old songs because of lyrics that now aren't pc, well most of the 60's pop is gone (jeez the number of songs where a woman is singing she can't wait to be basically owned by a man is unbelievable)!  Never mind that a ton of rap/hip hop and heavy metal would be gone.

I do think the singer's tone matters, the Dean martin version sounds playful to me, the Elvis one is a bit creepy.

But let's not ban the song over today's interpretation (and I do find this different than songs with derogatory terms about various races or ethnicity).

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Mrs peel said:

But let's not ban the song over today's interpretation .

LOL, years ago I was tooling around on an easy listening AM station and heard the song "Wives & Lovers" -- and it made me say, "wha...?"

Sample lyric:

Day after day, there are girls at the office 
And the men will always be men
Don't stand him up with your hair still in curlers 
You may not see him again

In all its misogynistic glory:

• Love 3
On 12/16/2018 at 3:59 PM, Gem 10 said:

And what about Downton Abby, which was my absolute favorite.  I love anything with scenery, especially England, Scotland, Italy, etc.  I just bought a new DVD player for my discs, but I have so many tapes for the VCR still.  All these new electronics make me crazy, and then you need someone to hook them up.  I’m still waiting for my firestick hookup and I have a VCR somewhere to still watch the tapes.  Oh well.  Need a handyman.  Everyone busy.  Lol.

You will adore the firestick. Once it's hooked up its easy. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Mrs peel said:

I remember listening to the song a couple of years ago and suddenly wondering about the "what's in this drink?" line.  And the lines about how she's hurting HIM by not staying.  But while there was such a thing as a "mickey" back in the 40's, I don't recall hearing it was used by guys to seduce girls.  And if we reject old songs because of lyrics that now aren't pc, well most of the 60's pop is gone (jeez the number of songs where a woman is singing she can't wait to be basically owned by a man is unbelievable)!  Never mind that a ton of rap/hip hop and heavy metal would be gone.

I do think the singer's tone matters, the Dean martin version sounds playful to me, the Elvis one is a bit creepy.

But let's not ban the song over today's interpretation (and I do find this different than songs with derogatory terms about various races or ethnicity).

I dont hear it as much as a Mickey in her drink, but he handed her a drink and it was either strong or something new to her. Then she says, hey what's in this?  I don't automatically go to sinister. 

10 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Gave up on Downton Abby and Call the Midwife, eventually, despite my love for almost all things PBS.  I also dropped Poldark.

I know, sacrilegious.

Light your torches & sharpen your pitchforks.  I think those shows crapped out.

No torch here. I have never watched Downton Abby. I do love British and Australian shows like McLeod's Daughters and Packed to the Roof. I will watch Dr Blake whenever i can. 

Edited by Reality police
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Reality police said:

I dont hear it as much as a Mickey in her drink, but he handed her a drink and it was either strong or something new to her. Then she says, hey what's in this?  I don't automatically go to sinister. 

Yeah, I tried my damnedest not to step into this bee hive, but unless you lived during those days of yore, you could probably shutty for one hot minute and gain some perspective.  There was plenty of rapey & misogynistic stuff going on without eviscerating a silly old Xmas song.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Gave up on Downton Abby and Call the Midwife, eventually, despite my love for almost all things PBS.  I also dropped Poldark.

I know, sacrilegious.

Light your torches & sharpen your pitchforks.  I think those shows crapped out.

I could live on Turner Classic, Colombo, Sherlock Holmes, black n white movies and all the MGM musicals.  I hate all the sitcoms on now.  I have to admit tho, I’m watching that trashy stupid 90 day Fiancé.  My neighbor made me.  Haha.   Also, I absolutely LOVE the N.Y. Housewives.  They are my friends in my head. LuAnn is appearing near my neighborhood this weekend.  She can’t sing for shit, but packs the house.  I would go but I wouldn’t spend $100 to see her talk thru a song.  I know .. nobody asked, but I’m just sayin.

Edited by Gem 10
  • Love 4
Just now, Gem 10 said:

I could live on Turner Classic, Colombo, Sherlock Holmes, black n white movies and all the MGM musicals.  I hate all the sitcoms on now.  I have to admit tho, I’m watching that trashy stupid 90 day Fiancé.  My neighbor made me.  Haha.

Argh, your couldn't pay me to watch old "classic" movies - I cut my eyeteeth on them and still think they stink!  But I'm with you about sitcoms; the only one I watch is Silicon Valley.

I've yet to succumb to the siren song that is 90 Day Fiancee, but y'all are wearing down my resistance.

Now, if only my DVR and sleep cycle would accommodate ...

• Love 2
4 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Argh, your couldn't pay me to watch old "classic" movies - I cut my eyeteeth on them and still think they stink!  But I'm with you about sitcoms; the only one I watch is Silicon Valley.

I've yet to succumb to the siren song that is 90 Day Fiancee, but y'all are wearing down my resistance.

Now, if only my DVR and sleep cycle would accommodate ...

Hanging my head in shame.  I had never seen 90 DF until last week. I watch Love after Lockup and everyone here talked about 90 DF and I succumbed to pressure. Not sure if i am going to continue, not hooked yet. 

Could live on film noir and Australian tv.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Reality police said:

Hanging my head in shame.  I had never seen 90 DF until last week. I watch Love after Lockup and everyone here talked about 90 DF and I succumbed to pressure. Not sure if i am going to continue, not hooked yet. 

Could live on film noir and Australian tv.

A pox upon WE TV and their Criminal Minds marathons - for making me curious about Love After Lockup  - because my FF finger isn't fast enough to miss all those commercials.

I'm almost tempted to seek out Australian TeeVee, but am still overcoming the childhood trauma of a very bad Australian stepdaddy.

6 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

A pox upon WE TV and their Criminal Minds marathons - for making me curious about Love After Lockup  - because my FF finger isn't fast enough to miss all those commercials.

I'm almost tempted to seek out Australian TeeVee, but am still overcoming the childhood trauma of a very bad Australian stepdaddy.

Have watched LAL since the beginning. Amazes me. 

On Australian tv start with Dr Blake Mysteries, he is worth the watch.

Midsomer Murders is great for British. 

The-Doctor-Blake-Mysteries.jpg

Edited by Reality police
Craig is worth the wait.
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Reality police said:

Have watched LAL since the beginning. Amazes me. 

On Australian tv start with Dr Blake Mysteries, he is worth the watch.

Midsomer Murders is great for British. 

The-Doctor-Blake-Mysteries.jpg

Not tonight, dear - I have a headache.  ;-)

• Love 2
9 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Haha, “a pox upon” .. you must have been watching “It’s a Wonderful Life”.  I’ve watched it 3 times already in 1 week, lol.

• Love 1

BTW, “Merry Christmas” and “Healthy New Year” to all my friends (I hope) on here who make my day.  You guys are a blast. Xoxo xoxo ♥️🎉🥁🍷☃️❄️.    🐈🐿🐇🐈 .. and to all the critters that an angel takes care of.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Haha, “a pox upon” .. you must have been watching “It’s a Wonderful Life”.  I’ve watched it 3 times already in 1 week, lol.

Nope - I've never liked that movie.

wq ducks & runs for cover

6 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

BTW, “Merry Christmas” and “Healthy New Year” to all my friends (I hope) on here who make my day.  You guys are a blast. Xoxo xoxo ♥️🎉🥁🍷☃️❄️.    🐈🐿🐇🐈 .. and to all the critters that an angel takes care of.

A pox on emojis.  ;-)

wq just entered the Witless Protection Program

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

A pox on emojis.  ;-)

I thought I was the only one!

Did you, by any chance, pick up the "a pox on.." from your sociology teacher in high school? The one with a vast resevoir of semi-useless knowledge? 

Edited by SweetieDarling
a stretch, I know, but that reminded me of him. great teacher, funny guy.
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SweetieDarling said:

Did you, by any chance, pick up the "a pox on.." from your sociology teacher in high school? The one with a vast resevoir of semi-useless knowledge? 

Sadly, no - my high school didn't teach sociology.  But I read  a lot of books, back in the day, and am also looking for ways to use "thundering apoplexy" in a post.  Stay tuned.

I married a wanna-be sociologist-turned-stereo-salesman, and had a mad love affair with a sociology professor, sooooo ...  I guess I'm also a vast reservoir of semi-useless knowledge.   ;-)

• Love 3

1 hour ago, SweetieDarling said:

Add me to the group!    I really hate that movie!

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, AnnA said:

Add me to the group!    I really hate that movie!

We could be Bah Humbuggers, but "buggers" opens the door to yet another fresh hell, so I will stick with "holiday abstainer with no reverence for the classics".

Suck it, Hallmark - and take Lifetime with you.  Your ridiculous "romances" are bad enough, but months of Xmas movies could send me around the bend.

Wake me when it's 2019.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Merry Christmas to you also, and to my other friends, @walnutqueen, @cooksdelight, @Taralightner, @KungFuBunny. Thanks to the comfort and laughs you give me. I didn't tell you all before but I had a heart attack the week before Thanksgiving. 3 stents. Had my follow up with the dr today and things are great. This group is wonderful. If I left anybody out i apologize. Blame it on the drugs.

christmas-lights.jpg

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Reality police said:

Merry Christmas to you also, and to my other friends, @walnutqueen, @cooksdelight, @Taralightner, @KungFuBunny. Thanks to the comfort and laughs you give me. I didn't tell you all before but I had a heart attack the week before Thanksgiving. 3 stents. Had my follow up with the dr today and things are great. This group is wonderful. If I left anybody out i apologize. Blame it on the drugs.

christmas-lights.jpg

Dammit, @Reality police - you are forcing me to be sincere for one hot minute.  I am sending all the good will and wishes your way.

You and your stents need to stick around for a very long time - 'Kay?

Beautiful pic, by the way.  Now - be a good friend & share the good drugs.  :-o

ETA - just saw your post, @AnnA.  Apparently my peeps with the biggest hearts have heart problems.  Life is SO unfair.  

Be well & stick around, too!

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, AnnA said:

Glad to hear you're doing well @realitypolice.       They couldn't use stents on me.    I wound up having a triple bypass.   

Sorry you had to go thru that. Hope you are doing well. 

2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

A pox on emojis.  ;-)

I think there are more of us out there that don't like that movie than they think.  

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

We could be Bah Humbuggers, but "buggers" opens the door to yet another fresh hell, so I will stick with "holiday abstainer with no reverence for the classics".

Suck it, Hallmark - and take Lifetime with you.  Your ridiculous "romances" are bad enough, but months of Xmas movies could send me around the bend.

Wake me when it's 2019.

I worked retail for many years. I've come to view the holiday from a different perspective and also to despise certain Christmas songs. Mr. Darling insists on playing Christmas music on the way to the relatives (2hrs) and gets as kick out of me singing along, knowing the words and "artistic rendition" of many songs. It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year by Andy Williams is like nails on a chalkboard to me, yet I can sing along like it's my job.

I guess I'm also a vast reservoir of semi-useless knowledge.   ;-)

Aren't we all? ;-D

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, SweetieDarling said:

I worked retail for many years. I've come to view the holiday from a different perspective and also to despise certain Christmas songs. Mr. Darling insists on playing Christmas music on the way to the relatives (2hrs) and gets as kick out of me singing along, knowing the words and "artistic rendition" of many songs. It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year by Andy Williams is like nails on a chalkboard to me, yet I can sing along like it's my job.

Aren't we all? ;-D

Gah - I can sing along to almost every song imaginable (oldies only - especially those earworm Xmas ditties),  but my car radio never moves off 89.5  NPR, and I have no where to drive to, and nobody to drive (crazy) with, so it is a MOO point  [/Joey Tribiani].

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Reality police said:

christmas-lights.jpg

Goodness gracious sakes alive! Glad you are OK and still with us. Merry Christmas!! And to you too, @AnnA! I have heart issues myself so I am so glad you are both doing well.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Goodness gracious sakes alive! Glad you are OK and still with us. Merry Christmas!! And to you too, @AnnA! I have heart issues myself so I am so glad you are both doing well.

OMG .. it’s contageous!  What is going on?  Sorry AnnA, Reality Police and  Cooksdelight.  SURPRISE!   I had a heart attack also, and had five stents.  Walnut, if you want some Metapropolo, Benicar,  Norvasc or cholesterol meds, I will send to you.  Have to take every nite.  Have plenty.  Heart attacks are VERY deceiving in women.  I only had upper back discomfort that came and went for a few weeks.  Called my internist for an appt. and she told me to go to emergency immediately.  After they took the blood test, Dr. came in and said “you had a heart attack”.  Next morn, I had five stents put in.  Lucky to be alive all of us. God was with us.

Edited by Gem 10
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

OMG .. it’s contageous!  What is going on?  Sorry AnnA, Reality Police and  Cooksdelight.  SURPRISE!   I had a heart attack also, and had five stents.  Walnut, if you want some Metapropolo, Benicar,  Norvasc or cholesterol meds, I will send to you.  Have to take every nite.  Have plenty.  Heart attacks are VERY deceiving in women.  I only had upper back discomfort that came and went for a few weeks.  Called my internist for an appt. and she told me to go to emergency immediately.  After they took the blood test, Dr. came in and said “you had a heart attack”.  Next morn, I had five stents put in.  Lucky to be alive all of us. God was with us.

My first visit to a doc in over a decade revealed a Vitamin D deficiency.   Nothing more.

Now y'all are making me wish I could afford the healthplan for a cardiologist.  :-)

• Love 3
On 12/18/2018 at 6:25 PM, Reality police said:

christmas-lights.jpg

Reality Police:

Sending hugs and prayers for a speedy recovery.

hB807FF71

• Love 4

Those oldies are nothing compared to other songs that go unmentioned. If we're talking about "bad and offensive songs" there are few worse than Gotcha by Joe Tex THe girl is literally running away from him!!!!

I Gotcha

Joe Tex

I gotcha, uh huh, huh
You thought I didn't see ya now, didn't ya, uh huh, huh
You tried to sneak by me now, didn't ya, uh huh, huh
Now gimme what you promised me, give it here
Come on

Hey

Good God

Hey

Hey

You promised me the day that you quit your boyfriend
I'd be the next one to ease on in
You promised me it would be just us two, yeah
I'd be the only man kissin' on you, yeah
Now, kiss me
Hold it a long time, hold it
Don't turn it a-loose, now hold it
A little bit longer, now hold it
Come on

Hold it
Hold it
Hold it
Hold it
Now ease up on me now, good god
Hey

Good God
Hey

The girl's alright, y'all
Ha ha

Good God

You made me a promise and you're gonna stick to it
You shouldn't have promised if you weren't gonna do it
You saw me and ran in another direction
I'll teach…

And how about Under My Thumb by the Rolling Stones? She has to dress and act the way he wants....Jump Around by House of Pain "If your girl acts up I'm slapping the ho" and one last one

Push by Matchbox 20 
I wanna push you around
Well I will, well I will
I wanna push you down
Well I will, well I will
I wanna take you for granted
I wanna take you for granted
Yeah, well I will

• Love 1

I love this song, then I really listened to the lyrics. Stalker alert! 

Still love the song and the video.

I'm Your Man

Wham!

Call me good
Call me bad
Call me anything you want to baby
But I know that you're sad
And I know I'll make you happy
With the one thing that you never had

Baby, I'm your man (don't you know that?)
Baby, I'm your man
You bet!
If you're gonna do it, do it right (right)
Do it with me
Do it with me
Do it with me
Do it with me

So good
You're divine
Wanna take you, wanna make you
But they tell me it's a crime!
Everybody knows where the good people go
But where we're going baby
Ain't no such word as no!

Baby, I'm your man (don't you know who I am?)
Baby, I'm your man
You bet!
Do it with me (come on baby)
Do it with me (ooh, take me home)
Do it with me (please don't leave me here )
If you're gonna do it, do it right
To do it on my own

First class information
Sense your inspiration
And with some stimulation
We can do it right

So why waste time
With the other guys?
When you can have mine
I ain't askin' for no sacrifice
Baby your friends do not need to know!
I've got a real nice place to go

Listen
I don't need you to care
I don't need you to understand yeah
All I want is for you to be there
And when I'm turned on
If you want me
I'm your man!

(I'm your man)

Do it with me
Do it with me
Do it with me
Do it with me

Now listen
If you're gonna do it, you know what I say?
If you're gonna do it don't throw it away
Don't throw it baby (don't throw)
Because
I'll be your boy, I'll be your man
I'll be the one who understands
I'll be your first, I'll be your last
I'll be the only one you ask
I'll be your friend, I'll be your toy
I'll be the one who brings you joy
I'll be your hope, I'll be your pearl
I'll take you halfway 'round the world!
I'll make you rich, I'll make you poor
Just don't use the door

Do it with me
Do it with me
Do it with me

Songwriters: GEORGE MICHAEL

© Warner/Chappell Music, Inc.

For non-comm

• Love 1

I never thought much about “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” growing up (and generally didn’t care for it), but a few years ago I started really listening to it because I heard it ALL THE TIME that Christmas season, and yeah, the lyrics started to make me uncomfortable. However the Norah Jones/Willie Nelson version was the nail in the coffin for me because, well, Willie Nelson coercing* the technically-could-be-his-granddaughter Norah Jones made me grimace.

I agree that it’s one of those things that, in its own era, was meant to be playful—but to modern #MeToo-era ears (with no context) it seems pretty icky. The Red Skelton version hit the right notes, so to speak, IMO. Not joking but Lu and her cabaret act could probably pull it off. It needs that hammy vibe.

Speaking of terrible lyrics—How ‘bout that Bono whelping “Well, tonight thank God it’s them instead of you....” in “Do They Know It’s Christmas”? I mean, never mind that Africans would never likely associate Christmas with snow anyway (“there won’t be snow in Africa this Christmastime...”) but—Really, Bono and Geldof? Yeah, phew! Thank God THOSE POOR AFRICANS are dealing with all that suffering, not me! I do have nostalgic feelings about that song otherwise ;)

And now, post-George Michael (RIP) we’re suddenly subjected to ten thousand terrible versions of “Last Christmas,” another nostalgia-filled tune from my youth.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ivygirl said:

Not joking but Lu and her cabaret act could probably pull it off. It needs that hammy vibe.

I think you're right  -- she could strike the right "This is so over the top it's gone all the way around the bend and arrived at charming" note (and she'd turn the "Say, what's in this drink?" lyric into a rehab joke played off Sawnja). 

How ‘bout that Bono whelping “Well, tonight thank God it’s them instead of you....” in “Do They Know It’s Christmas”? I mean, never mind that Africans would never likely associate Christmas with snow anyway (“there won’t be snow in Africa this Christmastime...”) but—Really, Bono and Geldof? Yeah, phew! Thank God THOSE POOR AFRICANS are dealing with all that suffering, not me! 

I always think of the old SNL parody whenever I hear it now  (the chickens running free at 2: 07 makes me laugh every time):

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, film noire said:

I always think of the old SNL parody whenever I hear it now  (the chickens running free at 2: 07 makes me laugh every time):

Oh, that was THE BEST. I remember watching this back when it aired—I couldn’t stand Michael Bolton’s music, but I gave him a ton of credit for doing such a great job with this. He’s just really game... he’s so hilarious in the Lonely Island “Jack Sparrow” song. But I digress...

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

Oh, that was THE BEST. I remember watching this back when it aired—I couldn’t stand Michael Bolton’s music, but I gave him a ton of credit for doing such a great job with this. He’s just really game... he’s so hilarious in the Lonely Island “Jack Sparrow” song. But I digress...

...digress? I THINK NOT, MADAM! You just brought us back to the good part ; )

jack sparrow.gif

Never a fan either, but I saw that and thought,  "I would TOTALLY marry that man now! He is hilarious!"

eta: add link for those who haven't seen it:

Edited by film noire
  • Love 6

Baby, It's Cold Outside is a testament to how far we have progressed as a society.

In that song, she says, "she really can't stay" Not "won't", not "doesn't want to".  Can't.

Her objections are: but her mother, her father, her brother, the neighbors (everyone else's views, not hers)

She tells us that she wants to stay -- one more cig, a half a drink more.

It sounds odd today precisely because of all the progress we have made as a society: Today, mostly, if she wants to stay, she stays.  The dude doesn't have to try to talk her into it and make her forget about, "zoinks what will people say!?"

My overall takeaway: hug an old Feminist today -- and express some thanks for all the work they did and all the crap they put up with to get us here.

Edited by Jel
  • Love 1